Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Official RpgCodex Consensus on DA

Official RpgCodex Consensus on DA

• Best RPG since Dungeon Master

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Best RPG since Arcanum

• Standard mediocre Bioware all over again

• Pretty bad actually

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No idea, haven't played it, yet

• No idea, haven't played it, and I never will

• What is DA?

• deranged is a troll, ignore this poll

• Total voters

deranged

Cipher
There seem to be contradicting emotions regarding DA. So let's sum everything up in a neat and professional way, shall we?

I vote first, haven't played it yet.

Grifthin

Educated
I'm enjoying it - it's one of the lengthier and more challenging rpg's to come out in the last 5 years. I like the ferelden background and I'm playing through for a second time. I can see myself playing it 7 times just to see the different outcomes, origins, and Classes.

There's one or two minor annoyances (like back alley thieves quest that seems to be broken), but other than these odd niggles I'm happy. I'm sure patches will fix any issues I have with the game in the coming month.

catfood

AGAIN
I haven't played it yet but I definitely will some time in the future. Also I don't think any of the poll options are very representative of the hivemind's opinion.

Project: Eternity
I can't make sense of the poll, but DA is a good game (bought it and played it through as a mage). To put that into perspective, I also enjoyed Oblivion and Fallout 3, and played NWN2 online for years.

If you liked the other Bioware RPGs you will most likely enjoy this one too. I almost boycotted it due to the breathtakingly stupid and annoying marketing campaign, but I'm glad I got this anyway.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I like it, been playing it pretty obsessively since release - taking my time. However much I like it I find some glaring issues - like the lack of player feedback, I mean... if they emulate mmo's, why the fuck not have any kind of combat log? Also, the simplified skill system is somewhat a mystery - as Cunning affects Lockpicking, but doesnt really indicate if you need one more measly point of cunning or a full level of lockpicking to be able to open a chest you're unable to. Still, the product is somehow pretty great. It's not "old school" per se, but a throwback considering today's usual crpg fare. There are C&C, which hasn't been bio's strenght in the past - not sure how much it matters yet, as I'm not done.

Comparison should really be the BG series and not Arcanum nor Oblivion, those two are polare opposites. Also, the last one blows.

deranged

Cipher
Freelance Henchman said:
I can't make sense of the poll

That's cause rational opinions, like 'It's a good game', 'Solid, worth its money' e.t.c. are boring. Everyone is over-emphasizing his opinion to get heard, so I thought to go with the flow...

Post count + 1, and yes Option 3 is a trap...

Roughly on the same level as Oblivion, i.e. 6-10 hours and still no fun in sight, I run out of patience and quit. I played through Mass Effect, ever hoping it would get better but I just got fucked, won't do the same mistake here. It's as close to what I want from an RPG as Starcraft is to what I want from a strategy game. A major disappointment.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Roughly on the same level as Oblivion, i.e. 6-10 hours and still no fun in sight, I run out of patience and quit. I played through Mass Effect, ever hoping it would get better but I just got fucked, won't do the same mistake here.

Pretty much the same for me. I can't be arsed to play a game in the hope of better gameplay anymore. And I can't be bothered with mediocre gameplay, either. And Dragon Age is just that. Mediocre.

I honestly don't give a fuck about how good DA is. The ad campaign was a joke, but the game apparently delivers. I liked BG2, and DA is kind of like it but in crappy 3D. Whatever, it still requires .NET, so I'll never know.

What DA really did was show the full extent of Codex hypocrisy. People who screamed how horrifyingly worthless real time combat is, or how all games with health regen are a spawn of Satan, suddenly praise a game that uses both of these. It also showed that RPG "putting the 'role' back in RPG" Codex doesn't really give half a shit about roleplaying, as long as the combat is good.

I guess I should thank Bioware for DA then, except I knew all this a month after I came here. It's just that normally Codex has enough decency to try and hide it's hypocritical nature, I guess DA is just so good it's worth whoring yourself out over it

Emotional Vampire said:
I honestly don't give a fuck about how good DA is. The ad campaign was a joke, but the game apparently delivers. I liked BG2, and DA is kind of like it but in crappy 3D. Whatever, it still requires .NET, so I'll never know.

What DA really did was show the full extent of Codex hypocrisy. People who screamed how horrifyingly worthless real time combat is, or how all games with health regen are a spawn of Satan, suddenly praise a game that uses both of these. It also showed that RPG "putting the 'role' back in RPG" Codex doesn't really give half a shit about roleplaying, as long as the combat is good.

I guess I should thank Bioware for DA then, except I knew all this a month after I came here. It's just that normally Codex has enough decency to try and hide it's hypocritical nature, I guess DA is just so good it's worth whoring yourself out over it

Joined last year and you've made over 4500 posts. To put it in context, that's about 1o posts per day, if you were to avoid skipping a SINGLE day.

Which leads me to the question:
(a) are you unemployed? If so, how do you afford your net connection.; or
(b) if you are employed, how do you get so much time to post?

Even more ironic for someone whose tag talks about being IRL. I guess that means 'IRL, trolling forums'.

Seriously 12+ posts per day at a place you don't even like all that much is pretty fucked up. Most people have other things to do with their time.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
That's true, but I--and I think most others--sometimes go long stretches without posting, as there're other things to do, work keeps you busy, that kind of thing.

Edit: funny, I haven't even broken 2000 posts yet despite my join date.

Azrael the cat said:
Joined last year and you've made over 4500 posts. To put it in context, that's about 1o posts per day, if you were to avoid skipping a SINGLE day.

Which leads me to the question:
(a) are you unemployed? If so, how do you afford your net connection.; or
(b) if you are employed, how do you get so much time to post?

Even more ironic for someone whose tag talks about being IRL. I guess that means 'IRL, trolling forums'.

Seriously 12+ posts per day at a place you don't even like all that much is pretty fucked up. Most people have other things to do with their time.

So this relates how to my post? Well, let's disregard that for now...

Azrael the Cat responds to me - and in less than two thousand words. I am *honored*.

I mentioned on multiple occassions that I treat RPG Codex like an imageboard. In fact, I came back here(Since half of my registration time I've been away; my post-per-day ratio is actually much, much higher) only because I needed an imageboard fix and, well, all imageboards plainly suck(Even if I counted all people with consoles here as weeaboo faggots, the result is still relatively favourable). Which means most of my posts will be pretty content-less, and if not, they'll be short. Of course there are exceptions. Even at 4chan /b/ you can take part in an interesting discussion sometimes. Well, you could several years ago, anyway.

But to satisfy your curiosity(WATCH OUT OR IT WILL KILL YOU HA HA HA GET IT), I am currently unemployed, I got my "diploma" about two months ago and didn't manage to get a job yet, fuck I had more luck with jobs when all I had was HS ed. fucking depression. Or something. Jews.

Location saying IRL? Never looked at it that way. It was something else earlier, and then I changed it, and I couldn't think of anything so I picked that. I guess it was supposed to be ironic with people usually having stupid Location like "THE CITY OF SLEEPLESS DREAMS" or, a more local example, "Female anus". Normally I never fill in any of the "personal" data at all, so this is a new experience to me, you see.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
What diploma did you get, anyway? Just curious.

Although, in this economic climate--assuming you're American--it's hard to find a job anyway, degree or no degree.

Black

Arcane
micmu said:
Ok, now officially: I officialy don't give a flying fuck for DA and any similiar games.
Not only you, that's the official Codex statement.
But apparently tards think it's cool to make 20 threads about it and force it into a "CODEX APPROVES" game.

Lesifoere said:
What diploma did you get, anyway? Just curious.

IT(Z). Yeah, yeah, I know.

Although, in this economic climate--assuming you're American--it's hard to find a job anyway, degree or no degree.

I'm not amerikkkan, that's the problem, but seriously, I even apply for jobs like "streetcleaner" nowodays and still nothing. Is it the photo in my CV maybe?

Black said:
Not only you, that's the official Codex statement.

I'm afraid that's not going to be the official statement once the reviews start rolling in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom