Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien Assault - Space Hulk Reskinned

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Free Game ]</strong>

<p>Eager to avoid more legal wrangling with Games Workshop over their <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=22921">Space Hulk remake</a>, TearDown have slapped a new coat of paint on the game and renamed it <strong><a href="http://www.teardown.se/" target="_blank">Alien Assault</a></strong>. You can now <a href="http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/alienassault/full-game/33102.html" target="_blank">download the game</a> to see what they've been up to for the past year or just check out some tiny videos <a href="http://www.teardown.se/games/alienassault/www/media.html" target="_blank">here</a>.</p><p>By the way, if you were wondering why GW was interested in this little project in the first place, have a <a href="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=3700040a" target="_blank">looksee here</a>. </p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/">Rock Paper Shotgun</a></p>

puke

Novice
the way i remember it from following TD's news posts, GW didnt care so much about it. their response was something along the lines of "fine by us, but we sold the video game rights to Bethesda (or someone) and you have to ask them."

Bethsoft (or whoever it was) was said to have answered something like "sure, but we dont know what the actual legality of that is, and we cant approve you without talking to GW first"

and thats where the program hit a loop and everything died.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Never understood that. Games Workshop / Bethesda would get more value out of it by having it as a Space Hulk remake. People would want more Warhammer and Space Hulk shit. Instead, people will be just like "Alien Assault is cool!".

astrosmurf

Novice
No kidding. It's incredibly hard. I haven't gotten halfway through the first non-tutorial mission.

Multi-headed Cow

Never played Space Hulk, but since I never played Blood Bowl until the computer version I'll grab this and give it a go.

I know everyone here hates Bethesda, but they don't have anything to do with it.

Its THQ that has the Games Workshop IP for videogames. They even have a cellphone Space Hulk title. (Which is apparenly UK only last I knew.)

They have made a handful of games so far, though it seems other companies have the Warhammer Fantasy IP. (Who cares. 40K is way cooler.)

And the tabletop Space Hulk V3 edition is already sold out and its bloody amazing. Tons of high quality bits in the box. The tiles are all debossed giving a minor 3d effect. And they still connect to V2 Space Hulk and the Tyranid Attack/Advanced Space Crusade boards.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
The second mission in the campaign is just brutal. A single sergeant have to make it to the exit, without a functioning radar scan of the map or a biosensor so I won't know which direction the enemies are coming from...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The game is just too damn addictive and hard. I retried the Space Hulk version they had out earlier and it's a lot easier. I usually managed to keep my squads alive for quite awhile while gathering experience and making them better. In alien assault my poor troops hardly ever survive two or three missions. Not that it's a bad thing, everytime I finish a mission with little to no losses it feels like a real achievement. Really recommended to everyone who likes his games to not treat you like a moron.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Codexian praise: if you manage it, chances are your game is good.

For those who find the game too difficult, there are some hidden settings in the options.dat file that let your troop become better with experience (if you can keep them alive) and that sort of thing. By default, it seems your troops behave the same whether or not they have a higher rank.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Fuck it's hard. I can't even finish the tutorial campaign - I keep dying in the "Onslaught"-mission. Oh well, some formations still left to try - plus since it's WH40k, luck plays annoyingly large part too.

Edit, my best is 22/30 so far. What's with the funky resolutions though? And no full-screen.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Gragt said:
Codexian praise: if you manage it, chances are your game is good.

For those who find the game too difficult, there are some hidden settings in the options.dat file that let your troop become better with experience (if you can keep them alive) and that sort of thing. By default, it seems your troops behave the same whether or not they have a higher rank.

Thanks for the tip, strange choice... although now it will hurt even more to lose an experienced trooper.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
GarfunkeL said:
Fuck it's hard. I can't even finish the tutorial campaign - I keep dying in the "Onslaught"-mission.

This. After turning on experience I decided to do the tutorial once again to try and get some experienced troops. First time I played this I just rolled through it with maybe one or two men lost. Now I constantly lose my entire squad. Mostly because guns keep jamming at the most inopportune moment or because my troops won't hit the side of a barn. Just got overrun because every trooper his gun jammed after firing one shot at best during overwatch. It was horrible to behold. Damn, I love this game.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Yeah, that mission is kicking my ass every single time. I try what I think is the best solution, and get two guys to cover the lower spawn points, one guy in each corridor covering the flanks facing north and one guy in the starting room covering the middle. A few jams/misses is all it takes for it to crumble towards the end though. once I've lost two guys, it's full Alamo style in the starting area. Four kills left is the closest I've come.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Covering the upper spawnpoints asap with two, one guy in the middle and two in the side corridors is the way to go. Use the first turn to get your troopers as far as possible. Especially the two whom are going up. Forget overwatch on that turn. Second turn make sure that the side were the first aliens seem to go is covered.

On your third turn all troops should be in position. From then on use the central trooper to provide overwatch in the direction the aliens seem to come from/go to. Use the two in the side corridors to provide overwatch down or when unthreatened provide overwatch through the horizontal corridor. Keep the two troopers at the top in overwatch at all time. What you need to remember is to have the troops who are in the middle help each other through cover whenever they can and without moving them from their position.

Bar a few unlucky jams or your troops being unable to hit fuck all you should be able to finish the mission. Best one I had so far only lost me one guy at the top. Good luck, it's going to get much worse from there on. ;)

Fuck! I'm stuck on Tutorial Mission 5 (Army of Two).

I just can't find any corridors long enough for overwatch to be useful in, every area near where you start has 3 entrances and 4 squares maximum visibility.

Any tips?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Move the troopers to the right to the long vertical corridor. Position one at the uppermost and one at the middle corridor. Face east and put them on overwatch. Whenever aliens come from the southern corridor make the most unthreatened trooper provide overwatch through the vertical corridor while having the other one make one step into his own if he blocks the other guy's field of fire.

Trash said:
Move the troopers to the right to the long vertical corridor. Position one at the uppermost and one at the middle corridor. Face east and put them on overwatch. Whenever aliens come from the southern corridor make the most unthreatened trooper provide overwatch through the vertical corridor while having the other one make one step into his own if he blocks the other guy's field of fire.
Pretty good for a Marxist.

By the way, don't forgot to change the option in the data/options file so that experience actually has a game effect.

// *** DIFFICULTY ***
// Ranked shooting bonus [0, 1]

// Ranked close combat bonus [0, 1]
q

// Remaining AP wasted when selecting new marine [0, 1]
// Campaign aborted when failing a mission [0, 1]
// CP bonus based on sergeants rankings [0, 1]

// Enable round timer [0, 1]

I am now trying to make my own squad for the main campaign, but there's no documentation on it. You have to edit squads/[number]/progress but I will have to guess what the #s do by trial and error.

Trash said:
Hobbit Lord of Mordor said:
Pretty good for a Marxist.

The endless class struggle taught me well. Try the teardown forums for advice on how to edit and make squads and campaigns. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it.
I didn't find any thread which explains that file. There is only information about changing the graphics associated with a squad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom