Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Not Play Space Rangers 2: ITZ Here

Space.Rangers.2.Reboot-SKIDROW.jpg

wikipedia said:
Space Rangers 2 is set in the year 3300. Sentient combat robots known as Dominators are attacking the five civilizations of the Coalition: the humans, the Maloqs, the Pelengs, the Faeyans, and the Gaalians. There are three Dominator types, each at war with each other: the Blazeroids, the Kelleroids, and the Terranoids. The player begins the game as a trainee member of the Space Rangers – a corps of pilots charged with defending the galaxy from the Dominators.

Space Rangers 2 combines multiple gameplay modes. Space travel takes place in a third-person perspective turn-based 2D engine. The game also includes a 3D real-time strategy engine for planetary battles, with the option to control units within the RTS engine to play the battles as third-person shooters. The game also features an arcade shoot 'em up mode, and text-based missions that include interactive fiction and logic puzzle elements. The player character can gain experience points and improve skills, and the player character's ship can be upgraded as the player earns more cash. Sources of income for the player character include trading, piracy, completing missions for various factions, mining, and deploying research probes.

I've never played this game at all before. From what I've gathered, and what I've seen so far, the humour, variety, text quests and hilarious translation job should make for fine LP potential, but I could be wrong. If I am, it'll die of its own accord, so whatever.
Also, don't miss the fine intro movie. It sets a tone I cannot help but feel the game itself can never match.

Done?

Alright kids.

sr2intro.jpg

Let's listen to our favourite song.

sr203.jpg

Here we have what passes for character generation. Absolutely no information is given on what anything does except the classes. Going for mercenary, because I'm cold and mysterious and blah blah this joke got old in 2005 it looks like the most interesting class.

sr207.jpg

hi Yuri

sr208.jpg

That will do nicely.
Also, I have no idea what "iron will" does. I just ticked it anyway. I have a vague idea it's Iron Man mode, meaning that if I die once, the character is lost forever. But I honestly have no idea.
The skills selection, again, tells me nothing. My combat skill options are accuracy, manoueveorerability and equipment. My diplomacy skills are trading, charisma and leadership. I go with the defaults, accuracy and trading, since they seem the best choices for the early game.
The equipment selection is excellent. I have two choices. Possible equipment includes radar, missiles, droids, shield generators. All sorts of cool stuff. The two default choices, however, are the engine and the fuel tank. Experienced pilots have advised me that both of these items are extraordinarily useful for any spacecraft that wants to, say, work, so I go with them.
Hm... "selective" difficulty? Let's see what that...

sr209.jpg

Oh fuck off I'm leaving it on default.
Also, it looks from the positioning like "many" black holes is the best option. This is somewhat contrary to my knowledge of black holes. Perhaps it's best not to question it.

sr212.jpg

"The only thing that stands between you and glory is the medical examination. Oh, and us being dicks and not telling you the information you need to know."

sr213.jpg

sr214.jpg

"The situation has been growing more and more complex". There are self-replicating robots attacking us for laughs and we need to kill them all. I might be missing something but that doesn't seem particularly complex.

sr215.jpg

I opt for yes, because I am not Commander Shepard just yet. Also I haven't touched the manual and have no idea what I'm doing.

sr216.jpg

sr217.jpg

sr218.jpg

Here we can see that I own several pieces of equipment that I most certainly did not pick or buy. As long as I have my engine, I am quite content. For now.

sr219.jpg

And here we are in the great sea of stars. I am, somehow unsurprisingly, the smaller ship.

sr221.jpg

Please tell me these aren't real galaxy names. "Hoot"? "Tamuto"? Anyway, from what I can tell, each dot is a star system. I am currently at the "Sun" system. Which is wrong.
I think the purple stars are the ones owned by the Dominators. They're a bit too close for comfort. Not to worry, though. Shepard can take them. You will see his astonishing combat prowess very soon.

sr222.jpg

Okay, there's Jupiter. At least I know I'm in the right star system now. Even if it does have the wrong name.

sr223.jpg

Govt. System: Democracy
LOOKS LIKE AMERICA ISN'T A WORLD POWER ANY MORE THEN
emo-emot-smug.gif

sr224.jpg

sr225.jpg

sr226.jpg

Note to self: screen capture program needs work

sr227.jpg

sr228.jpg

Eagerly, I set out on my first mission.
Then I realise he probably meant to buy the stuff from Earth and sheepishly go back.

sr229.jpg

Well, they sell medicine. Seems good enough.

sr230.jpg

fuck

sr231.jpg

hey what do you know they sell medicine here too

sr233.jpg

I've seen three messages like this already. Ten minutes into the game. The Dominators are making me decidedly nervous.

sr235.jpg

For my next epic (gritty, dark, mature) quest, I am sent out to blow up a dummy asteroid to prove I know how to use my weapons. It's probably a good thing they're testing this, because I don't. Tentatively, I double-click the fearsome foe.

sr236.jpg

oh yeah eat nose

sr237.jpg

And then I shoot it. Somehow.
Cheerily, I begin collecting minerals (floating purple rocks). This doesn't go particularly smoothly either. After drifting backwards and forwards, gently spinning in circles and I think eventually collecting rocks whenever Hatman thinks it's a good idea...

sr238.jpg

I am rudely interrupted. Note the ship type.

sr240.jpg

He homes in, grabs the minerals (rather more efficiently than Hatman did) and legs it to the nearest planet, which I assume is Mars. Hatman crumples up his beer and bravely gives chase.

sr241.jpg

ow

sr242.jpg

ow

sr243.jpg

see that 2 damage I got this guy on the ropes

sr244.jpg

ow

sr245.jpg

sr201.jpg

Fuck Miss Universe. At least I was dignified enough to not play on Easy.
And yes, it turns out that Iron Will meant exactly what I thought. Goodbye, Hatman. You will not be remembered.

Join us next time on Let's Play Space Rangers 2, as I actually read the manual and figure out how to play the damn game.

coaster

Liturgist
Almost as good as theverybigslayer's Wizardry 4 ironman run. Keep it up :D

MetalCraze

Arcane
Set Dominators to Strong (or hard-boiled if you're confident) - later in the game you will clean whole sectors single-handedly if you won't. Not only that but other rangers will win the game for you by destroying dominators. Yes this happens.

Set Equipment Failures to rare. If you think that rare here means rare - you're wrong. During huge battles you will have to fly away to fix your equipment too many times - which is very annoying when it is a deciding battle for the sector as well as eating too much money, actually nearly all of your money will be spent fixing equipment if you're a fighter character.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Good game, this first post reminds me of my own first time playing SR2. Just in Russian which I understand badly.

ElectricOtter

Looks like a fun game. BTW, when did this come out? I don't remember it at all.

Good job with the LP. Hopefully you can take it to the end.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey, this looks much better than I expected it to look. Where did you manage to buy Space Rangers 2? Do you have the add-on too?

Raapys

Arcane
Like Skaywai said, do Strong Dominators and Rare equipment failures, otherwise you're going to regret it toward the mid- and end-game. Also, go for the Wrench or the Thumb instead of Trading. Accuracy is good though.

And keep in mind that the Engine and Fuel Tank you choose at the start ends up in the Storage section of the starting station, instead of being equipped on the ship.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Also don't put any points in Leadership (or whatever it is called in an english version) - it is useless. All it does is letting you hire more rangers (up to 6), but as soon as their ships will get medium damage they will jump out of the system - which will happen very fast and always during the fights against dominators. Too bad the character system is pretty primitive anyway, you will get all upgrades in the end no matter what you do.

Also if you want to win fights the most important things are a very fast engine and a best repair module you can get at any given point in the game (scientists discover new technologies all the time) - with it the armour is not really important, as with the best repair module you will be able to fix more damage than you'll take. And the very fast drive is needed simply because all your enemies will have one and you won't be able to chase them.

Also you will repair equipment often. Remember that the more equipment costs - the more you will have to pay for repairs - in the late game one battle with dominators was taking 100000 cr and more to repair the damage.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Just set the dominator strength to the highest, it's no fun unless it's a horrible struggle to survive.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
later in the game you will clean whole sectors single-handedly if you won't. Not only that but other rangers will win the game for you by destroying dominators. Yes this happens.

Equipment Failures are very annoying when it is a deciding battle for the sector as well as eating too much money, actually nearly all of your money will be spent fixing equipment if you're a fighter character.
Maybe, just maybe, you won't be soloing entire sectors if you choose not to nerf a limiting mechanism like equipment damage. Similarly, many RPG games would be broken by removing a crucial element like Hit Points. I mean, a lot of games do now a days, because being challenged is annoying, but I see this as a negative trend.

Leave the settings as default. Also, play the game a bit before you do the next lets play so it isn't as pedantic. I.E., this is me trying to blow up asteroids lol.

Jasede said:
Hey, this looks much better than I expected it to look. Where did you manage to buy Space Rangers 2? Do you have the add-on too?

Is there an English addon? What does it add? and most importantly...Starforce gone?

I had a blast with the original game. I was nervous with the Starforce on the computer however, so played it through to the end without installing or playing anything else, and then removing it straight away. Apart from the SF, the only part I didn't enjoy all that much was the weak RTS sections of the game.

toroid

Arcane
Faeyan and Human ships start with boosters as standard equipment. Boosters double your speed at the cost of significant engine damage. It's worth it though for grabbing loot and escaping rape.

Must read FAQs:
Vanilla
Codexian

sr2-202.jpg

Okay, RPGCodex. Let's... try again.

sr2-203.jpg

This time, I make some difficulty tweaks recommended by experts. Dominators are now "strong", because apparently if you leave them on Normal, other Rangers will very quickly destroy them and complete the game for you. There is no honour in LIVING TO SEE THE VICTORY if you didn't, er, take part at all.

sr2-206.jpg

Go through all the boring tutorial stuff again. I'll probably skip trading from now on unless something particularly interesting happens, which I can't really see happening with... trading medicine.

sr2-208.jpg

On my way back to Venus with the medicine, I encounter quite the hive of activity. Two pirates are attacking some other Ranger; I take the opportunity to demand money off him and run away.

sr2-207.jpg

No go away I have tried attacking things

sr2-211.jpg

Uh
Okay space hippy would you be willing to entertain a contract of servi-

sr2-212.jpg

Sigh. I briefly considering demanding his money too, have a look at my offensive capabilities again, and think better of it.

sr2-213.jpg

My old foe. I have fought you before. This time I will actually leave.

sr2-215.jpg

Total domination is only a step away.

sr2-216.jpg

Pretty sure that's not how you spell that either

sr2-217.jpg

Uh
Is this person trying to push libertarian propaganda on me while begging me for help? Christ these people are pushy. Anyway, curious and always willing to support the free market, I agree.

sr2-218.jpg

The enemy is the yellow. Top-right is my ally.

sr2-219.jpg

come on motherfucker you think you can escape me by being faster
because you're right

sr2-220.jpg

Another fearsome battle awaits, but I will have no fear.

sr2-221.jpg

It might just be me, but is that message really creepy? It's like those kids' TV shows where the carrots grow eyes and start dancing and singing "please eat me".

sr2-222.jpg

Crotchduster's fame is spreading already

sr2-223.jpg

I'M COMING FOR YOU

sr2-224.jpg

this is actually taking quite a while
and he brings me down to half health by occasionally taking a token shot at me
I'm so good

sr2-226.jpg

sr2-227.jpg

My first minion. I'll take the contract in blood once we get back to Ear-

sr2-228.jpg

Um.
Okay?
Note: all that happened between these two screens was that I picked up a fucking mineral. If you're morally opposed to mineral collection, you probably don't have a bright future with the SS Crotchduster. I send him on his way. One day I will destroy him.

sr2-229.jpg

sr2-230.jpg

Robot War Tactics.
This has to be good.

sr2-232.jpg

Here is the basic outline of Robot Wars.
My robots are yellow, because I am fruity. You can build turrets at your bases, and robots at your main base. You have a limit number of robots you can build. As for the robots:

sr2-233.jpg

sr2-234.jpg

You build your own. All of them. The only strategy in this mode, as far as I can tell, is to build the biggest and best robot you can afford 9 of, take manual control over one, and blast the hell out of everything that isn't banana-coloured.

sr2-235.jpg

sr2-236.jpg

sr2-237.jpg

Holy shit. A nuclear bomb. Maybe this is one of those tutorials that cocktease you with all the delicious powerful weaponry you get in the endgame only to take it away from you again. Or maybe it's just that awesome.

sr2-240.jpg

sr2-241.jpg

Goddamn this is a good mode

sr2-242.jpg

Away, my dread army! It's kind of sad that I don't get to crush meatbag humans beneath my cold iron heel (though on reflection all my dudes are using hover-legs so that wouldn't work very well anyway), but I suppose you can't have everything.

sr2-244.jpg

CRUSH

sr2-245.jpg

KILL

sr2-246.jpg

POSE

sr2-247.jpg

DESTROY

sr2-249.jpg

NUKE

sr2-250.jpg

Ah, sorry, looks like we have another strategy to follow. Cheesy aggroing.

sr2-251-1.jpg

heehee

sr2-253-1.jpg

sr2-254-1.jpg

sr2-255-1.jpg

A markedly more successful adventure this day. Here's to many more for Admiral Crotchduster.

Blackadder said:
Is there an English addon? What does it add? and most importantly...Starforce gone?

Yeah, Reboot contains both the original and the addon, I think. Starforce is gone, that's the only reason I was able to play; I tried the original at first, but Starforce wouldn't let me use it on Vista, and the Starforce update (and removal) tool pretended the fucking thing wasn't actually there.

Also, Jasede, I confess to having downloaded it, but so far it's fun enough that I'm going to hunt down and buy it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lord Chambers said:
Maybe, just maybe, you won't be soloing entire sectors if you choose not to nerf a limiting mechanism like equipment damage. Similarly, many RPG games would be broken by removing a crucial element like Hit Points. I mean, a lot of games do now a days, because being challenged is annoying, but I see this as a negative trend.
It isn't like he is removing something. Besides the higher difficulty of dominators should compensate for it - Jimbob will still have to do repair runs quite often anyway - as in every fight the equipment will get damaged regardless of settings.

Also Jimbob - avoid new equipment of Reboot. It'll ruin the balance if you won't - because it is cheaper and more powerful than any equipment AI can carry - as last time I've checked AI never bought addon's equipment (it has its names coloured in orange).

Raapys

Arcane
Repairing stuff is hardly the greatest feature of the game, so making it 'easier'( more like less time-consuming ) in that respect isn't really a bad thing.

Also, build Awesome Robots with 4xMissile launchers, coolant unit and best torso/legs.

Skyway, does the addon have anything worthwhile in it? Or should I just stick with the original and find a no starforce patch (providing there is one for SR2)?

Raapys

Arcane
It adds more missions and stuff( both text-adventures and RTS-missions I believe ), also you get a better in-game item search engine among other things. Probably some bug fixes as well. And, of course, some overpowered items.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Does it have DRM? I really liked the first one and would really love to try the second one, but unsure due to the horrible translation and somewhat 'vague' DRM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom