Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

*** New Release *** : Realms of Quest III for the VIC-20

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
New member here.

I started working on "Realms of Quest III" -- an Ultima/Wizardry/Phantasie-style CRPG a few months ago. I basically learned assembly language from scratch (having programmed almost exclusively in BASIC before) and have been obsessively working on this game for the past few months. I doubt it will get much of an audience outside of hardcore VIC-20 users, so it's a hobby/vanity project. Retro for the sake of retro :)

Here are some screenshots:

I think I'm about 75% finished. You can read about the development process starting with a crude proof of concept screen to the latest cool demo on the VIC-20 forum:

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... sc&start=0

Cheers,
hitfan

Luzur

Good Sir
i really doubt that most of the guys here have even heard of a VIC-20, but anyway, nice, good work, now i will have a RPG to test on my new VIC 1020 docking station i bought some week ago.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Wyrmlord said:
My sincere admiration for your work. :salute:

Keep us posted.

Thanks! It's taken over my life and I can't wait to finish it.

I re-posted this message to the General RPG discussion area -- I didn't know that this section was for general non-rpg gaming. Apologies to the moderators.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Luzur said:
i really doubt that most of the guys here have even heard of a VIC-20, but anyway, nice, good work, now i will have a RPG to test on my new VIC 1020 docking station i bought some week ago.

Heh... thanks. I've been a lurker of these forums for some time so I decided to register. The game will also be playable on an emulator anyway.

Not sure about the docking station though! :)

Luzur

Good Sir
hitfan said:

looks like this:

2cf8h37.jpg

plug in your VIC-20 and get 5 slots for cartridges and whatnot. more memory too, if im not mistaken.

Cynicus

Augur
That looks great, hitfan. Too bad it's not the early 80's or you might've made a dollar or two. :D Does it require a memory cartridge or will it run ok on 5KB?

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Luzur said:
hitfan said:

looks like this:

plug in your VIC-20 and get 5 slots for cartridges and whatnot. more memory too, if im not mistaken.

D'oh -- this is the first time I see a picture of this HW device. Very cool.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Cynicus said:
That looks great, hitfan. Too bad it's not the early 80's or you might've made a dollar or two. :D Does it require a memory cartridge or will it run ok on 5KB?

Thanks! It will require an additional 32K of RAM.

Seboss

Liturgist
People still write games for the VIC-20? The internet is such an amazing place.
Looks nice, keep up the good work hitfan. But seriously, VIC-20?....

http://sleepingelephant.com
Wow. You guys are as hardcore as can be.

quote from the forums "Making it in pure ML will probably take me 10 times as long as it normally would with BASIC but the end result will be worth it. "

I would rather just make it in basic for PC, but you are a hardcore nostalgia bloke

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
shihonage said:
Looks good ! If there's a VIC-20 emulator for PC, we can all pretend this is a PC game.

I might provide a link to download the latest demo and run it on a PC (I'll include the emulator plus a .bat file to run everything automatically) soon.

The cool thing about the game is that I use a linear feed shift register to create all of the mazes so they don't use any program space memory.

Once you "solve" the game (kill the final boss), new mazes are generated and you get to start over again.

After this project, I'm thinking of upgrading to a Commodore 64 and make an online multiplayer rpg for it (you'll need an RRnet cartridge to run it, of course). Well, I'm sort of half-kidding about that part, but it is technically possible to do such a thing nowadays. Just do a search for Contiki OS that explains how you can connect a c64 to the 'net.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
****** REALMS OF QUEST 3 beta version 0.1 is now out ******

Get it here: http://www.usaupload.net/d/dyre60woh73

This is the first playable version of Realms of Quest 3 that has all of the elements I had planned for the game.

Use cursor keys to navigate menus, SPACE bar to switch menus and RETURN to activate menu item. You can also use the first letter of a menu item to activate it.

When in combat mode, you'll be given options to choose from (just press A for Attack for example).

When in movement mode (MOVE ABOUT), you can use the cursor keys of IJKL to move. Pressing RETURN while in movement mode will make your party enter a city, climb a ladder, etc. Press the SPACE bar while in movement mode to go to the menu.

GOAL OF THE GAME
----------------
There are 8 dunjons with each having an orb of power. There is a 9th dunjon (within a field of molten rock and lava) that can only be entered if you have all 8 orbs of power. The orbs of power are located on the 15th floor of the 8 dunjons -- go there and kill the demon bride to collect one of the orbs.

After you've obtained all 8 orbs of power, you can go to the 9th dunjon in the 15th floor to kill Nikaedor the demon wizard.

Things left to do:

-Background music
-More graphics
-8 save game slots (currently there is only 1)
-Ability to sell weapons
-Charge 5 GP for staying at the inn.
-Joystick support
-Proper Manual (the current one is incomplete!)

Other than the preceding, all of the game mechanics and goals of the game are completed. If you save your game and there is an upgrade to this one, you will be able to safely upgrade Realms of Quest 3 and re-use your previously saved games.

ElectricOtter

Nice job. I'll be waiting for this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom