Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fan Made Fallout makes the Final Milestone

Jason

chasing a bee
<a href="http://www.fanmadefallout.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=32389" target="blank">Now let's never speak of this abomination again.</a>
<blockquote>Fan Made Fallout is dead. It won't be happening. The people who've been working on it mostly don't give two shits about it anymore... or they do but it always comes back to time. So then what did we do? What did we accomplish in all this time? Sadly, very little. We planned a lot. We've got a wiki full of "Great Ideas™" including a plot that involves the option to blow up your own vault (or not care and leave it to blow up). We had factions the player could side with, determining the outcome of the game. A trial where you could defend yourself and call witnesses. Drugs, including a trippy experience. Lots of great ideas. All of them.

... but we barely scrounged a completed dialogue together and made the script for it. We struggled to actually make a quest. We did finish most of the maps.

So here it all is. We're laying FMF bare for the world to see. To point and laugh and perhaps to wonder at what could have been. All of our secret hidden forums have been made public for you to read. Feel free to go through and see how many motivational posts you can find. See if you can count the unanswered "Can someone read this please?" requests. Our DevWiki has been opened for you to peruse. See how some ideas seem to eerily match things that are present in Fallout 3...

And maybe... maybe...</blockquote>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.duckandcover.cx/">Pooperscooper's Playground</A>

Nedrah

Erudite
Too bad, I hate to see it go down. A lot of time and effort must have gone into this.

That being said, anouncing the project's death could have been done in a more professional manner. As far as I understand these things, you should probably have released a trailer first.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
We all knew that would happen eventually, didn't we? Still, the team deserve applause for sheer effort.

Moggs

Liturgist
They may well have had some great ideas, but on the basis of the first paragraph in that wiki, they weren't very successful at communicating them. While there's technically nothing wrong with the language used, the sentence structure is muddled enough to require more than one read through to comprehend what they're trying to say.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Wait...

DU wrote AmTut!? WTF.....I read that shit and Arcanum was the FIRST game I'd ever made a mod for years ago....Fuckin' A...

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Interesting read-over.

Have you considered trying a new mod on a more modder-friendly engine? Seems the core problem was the modder-friendliness of the engine. And too many cooks. And the imbalance between technical people and "designers".

Mr Carrot

Novice
I think I wrote some of it, christ that was like 5 years ago. Same time as the MCA fluff bible.

elander_

Arbiter
Can anyone use the material and quests on the wiki or is it copyrighted?

Lord Chambers

Erudite
I'm confident the FanMadeFallout lawyers are more focused on asset liquidation and bankruptcy fillings than intellectual property infringement right now.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
elander_ said:
Can anyone use the material and quests on the wiki or is it copyrighted?
EVERYTHING IS COPYRIGHT DO NOT STEAL!!11!

Yeah, we wouldn't have opened it if we didn't mind someone doing something with any of it. Feel free to take what you like.

Moggs said:
They may well have had some great ideas, but on the basis of the first paragraph in that wiki, they weren't very successful at communicating them. While there's technically nothing wrong with the language used, the sentence structure is muddled enough to require more than one read through to comprehend what they're trying to say.
Given I wrote that brief, I'm interested to know what exactly is muddled about it. I can understand if the terms need a bit of thinking to understand (Normals, Masters Army, Red River) etc... but the first two or three lines of that paragraph are virtually lifted right out of one of the ending cut-scenes from the original Fallout. The brief was a way of throwing the basic concepts of the game (who, what, where) out there and tying it all together in a story.

Naked Ninja said:
Have you considered trying a new mod on a more modder-friendly engine?
Thought about it. Personally I like Fallout a lot, though FIFE was a serious option. Doing the same thing in Arcanum just doesn't have the right setting and feel for it.

Arcanoix said:
DU wrote AmTut!? WTF.....I read that shit and Arcanum was the FIRST game I'd ever made a mod for years ago....Fuckin' A...
Dude, "Written By: DarkUnderlord" is right up the top of every Amtut part. It's even on the page you download Amtut from. :(

This is some really interesting stuff. I liked the mutants actually being very subtle about things and operating more like the Unity did in Fallout 1, with plenty of subtlety and such. Much better than Bethesda's "RAWR KILLING U!" shit. The factions seem pretty well thought out, and FMF is the only Fallout related thing since the original to treat the deathclaw as the super-predator it really is. Everything else treated it as a novelty creature to shoot, a high tier loot guardian, or a fun science experiment.

Sad to see it go. Though would a revival be possible using something easier than a conversion/add-on to Fallout 2 like FIFE? The scale of the project doesn't seem too huge, which is a good thing in a lot of ways.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.JPG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom