Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Spire released: Comments/Impressions?

Panthera

Scholar
This looks really good, but reviews are middling so far. I want some opinions from people who actually play RPGs.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Panthera said:
This looks really good, but reviews are middling so far.
It's a throwback to the classic dungeon RPGs of old. It was doomed to be disliked by mainstream.

Anyways, I'll post some impressions here after I get it. My copy will hopefully be in by tomorrow.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The races and classes don't seem to be very exciting. I know it's supposed to be old school, but still. Come on. You got your basic 4 classes, and then 6 "speciality" classes which are just different combinations of the 4 existing ones. And according to Destructioid the game might be too short. I'll refrain from buying this until I can see some kind of approval.

Castanova

Prophet
Destructoid didn't say the game is too short. You're just reading the generic explanatory text that accompanies a score in the 7's. It got a 7, seemingly, because it's a niche title that most people would not enjoy.

Sounds pretty good to me. However, I recently got Etrian Odyssey 2 and I've been pretty disappointed with that one. The game is pretty hard, yeah, but it's also has a huge amount of grind and drawing your own map gets annoying.

I'm waiting to hear if The Dark Spire is super grindy or not.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I think jasede has played it and liked it, he made a thread not long ago.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Castanova said:
Destructoid didn't say the game is too short. You're just reading the generic explanatory text that accompanies a score in the 7's.

Ah, I see. First time I've read a review on that site. Still, shortness isn't always that bad if the content is interesting. My main concern is still with the generic classes.

obediah

Erudite
I think it will be my next DS game. I bailed on the Fire Emblem game at around 80%, then on Luminous Arc 2 at about 20% ( witch bewbs aren't enough to make up for the boring combat and lame story ). Now I'm plugging away at Front Mission and it's holding my interest so far.

getter77

Augur
Yeah, I'm leaning towards a purchase consisting of this and Dokapon Journey. Neither of the EO games appealed enough to give them a shot, but this one seems like it might have a bit of Wizardry-esque meat to it. I also dig the nuanced attack/defend options instead of just the "hold down confirm" mess that happens often on RPG's lately.

$30 isn't a bad price either all things considered. Unless some amazingly bad impressions that can back them up start filtering in I think I'll grab some cash tomorrow and place an Amazon order.

Panthera

Scholar
That review is extremely positive, actually.

I mean, look at this:

So let's say that you do persevere and manage to push your party past the first round of early deaths and actually advance a bit, you'll really get a taste of what elevates The Dark Spire from being good to great: its personality.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I couldn't have played it yet since it wasn't released when I made that thread. Not ordering it just yet- gotta play Cave Story Wii (a good game on the Wii!?!?) at the end of the month, gotta be ready.

feighnt

Scholar
just to note, about Destructoid and their scoring system: they are, theoretically, committed to having a more honest scoring system. ie: whereas, with most places, anything lower than an 8 equals a pretty bad game, and a 5 is basically abyssmal, in Destructoid 5 just means average (might have good points, but they're countered by equal number of bad points) and a 7 is actually a rather good score.

though i doubt they always succeed with the ideal, they're still a little more honest about scores. so, the score they gave to the game was actually very good.

but, to note: the lass who reviewed the game, it should be known, also tends to gush about all sorts of jrpg stuff that most of the people here *hate*, so... yeah, keep that in mind.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Emotional Vampire said:
lol, fatlus.
One thing I have noticed about these Atlus games is that special classes are available for unlocking later on, and not at character creation itself a la Wizardry 6, 7, and 8.

And they require you to multiclass for a while before switching to that special class.

Sounds pretty wierd if you ask me - but someone once explained to me that by Japanese rule of thumb, they always like to have unlockable classes in their games, as they did in the earlier DQ games where there supposedly was an unlockable class of Priest.

The simple western system of reducing level progression of special classes is effective enough in itself.

Crawfish

Novice
Hobo Elf said:
Castanova said:
Destructoid didn't say the game is too short. You're just reading the generic explanatory text that accompanies a score in the 7's.

Ah, I see. First time I've read a review on that site. Still, shortness isn't always that bad if the content is interesting. My main concern is still with the generic classes.

I preordered it from Amazon some time back. It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't speak from experience yet, but one of the screenshots on the official page shows the "Ninja" secondary class being selected. The in-game text states that the class has the ability to instantly kill enemies with a single shot.

I'm assuming this means that each of the secondary classes, like the ninja, has unique abilities that aren't available to their constituent base classes. That fleshes out the class system a bit, and potentially provides value to each of the ten options.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Crawfish said:
Hobo Elf said:
Castanova said:

I preordered it from Amazon some time back. It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't speak from experience yet, but one of the screenshots on the official page shows the "Ninja" secondary class being selected. The in-game text states that the class has the ability to instantly kill enemies with a single shot.

I'm assuming this means that each of the secondary classes, like the ninja, has unique abilities that aren't available to their constituent base classes. That fleshes out the class system a bit, and potentially provides value to each of the ten options.

Huh, sounds cool then. I'll still wait and see if this game is really grind heavy though. I'm kinda burned out on grindan for now.

sup guise

6e3i9f.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom