Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone know any good postapoc games?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, with the imminent arrivel of everyone's fav postapoc rpg I was wondering if anyone knows any other post-apocalyptic rogue-likes or survival sims. I always imagined it would be a genre that would draw more love that it seems to do. There are only a few cool postapoc games besides the fallouts that I know.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/visions-of-aftermath-the-boomtown/cover-art/gameCoverId,23812/

This is more of a simulation of what life could be after a nuclear holocaust. You have to hunt for food, tend fields and try to survive in the wastelands. I remember it being difficult and quite hard to learn without a good manual. The trying to survive against impossible odds was very cool though. I'd love to see something alike that's a bit more user friendly and polished.

http://hem.passagen.se/gbjor/Alphaman/

Alphaman was a rather simple roguelike with an interesting premises and some neat gameplay. Still, it's nothing too interesting and hasn't been updated for ages.

So anyone knows any other neat postapoc games?

Psycroptic

Liturgist
Hmmm.... I've got the original of Visions of Aftermath around here somewhere. Since it's on 5 1/4 it doesn't do me much good any more. I can't even remember how it plays after so many years.

There's always Roadwar 2000. That's mostly about building up a roving gang of hooligans, and what's more post-apocalyptic than that?

No one ever mentions Fountain of Dreams. I suppose it sucks... compared to Wasteland. Doesn't look like it's aged too well and from what I've heard the gameplay was lacking even back in the day.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Roadwar 2000 is one of the greatest games ever. I typically had a fleet of tractor trailers and buses with one sports car. During road combat, I used to shoot the sportscar up to top speed, run it through the middle of the enemy game to get the enemy vehicle to turn towards it. They'd typically crash in to buildings at that point or turn in a way that my buses could shoot out their tires. It was wonderful.

If you get it, get the Amiga version and play it under UAE. The Amiga version had a lot more places you could get your vehicles upgraded and such. Save often as it's fairly easy to get your gang killed off by either disease or run out of fuel and so forth.

NiM82

Prophet
There's some quite nice mods that make Stalker more free-form and survival based, notably Oblivion Lost and AMK. They add in sleep requirements (on top of the need to eat), add random blowouts (big killer storm things) that you need to seek shelter from, more traders/quests, etc.

There's also in OL different factions you can join (through rep), plus random events like monsters overrunning outposts, factions attacking bases and so on taking place around the zone. It's pretty atmospheric.

Delirious Nomad

Scholar
Far from being great, but they are post apocalyptic:
Metalheart (Replicants Rampart), Hard Truck Apocalypse and The Fall.

mondblut

Arcane
Delirious Nomad said:
Far from being great, but they are post apocalyptic:
Metalheart (Replicants Rampart), Hard Truck Apocalypse and The Fall.

Metalheart is not. Other than being set on a desert planet (and trying to copycat Fallout in every way possible), it is typical hard scifi fare without any postholocaust lore or aesthetics.

(ok, there *is* some lore, but it happened a millenium ago and is revealed in the very end)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom