Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghevist

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Most people probably know to check the blog for Scars updates but for the rest of you, mirrored from the blog post :

It may not be Oblivion but I think it's purty :

screen5.jpg

Click for larger version.

screen3.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen4.jpg

screen1.jpg

That there is Ghevist. From the lore :

They summoned the tribes together in the place called Ghevist, the Meeting Grounds; there, to demonstrate their intent, they slaughtered the leaders of the tribes and their families. From then on, they told the gathered tribes, the lands would be known as Imarathar, the Chosen Land, for they had chosen it as their home, their sovereignty. All who dwelt within its borders did so only by their will, all would bow their heads before them, all who could speak would vow their loyalty to the Imarathi.

Now before anyone gets excited and thinks that the fact that I'm showing this is Significant with a capital S, let me slam on the brakes. It's just a little side area I whipped up in an hour or so to test out the new "Ground Cover" functionality in the latest version of the engine. Which is handling rendering the grass and rocks in the above screens. The sneaky GG code monkeys added this in without much fanfare and I've only just realized that it is there (I'm slow :P). You'll have seen the like in other games, it's basically an invisible radius around the player which fades in and out foliage and small detail models. And it's pretty damn sweet.

So yeah, Ghevist is more of a lore tie in, if you take the time to explore in Scars of War you can find areas you might read about in books and/or get side quests to go to these places. There may or may not be cool stuff to discover there. All I'm saying is, if I discovered a remote lake hidden in the mountains with an island in the middle, I'd probably get my swimming trunks on. ;)

Ghevist takes it's inspiration from Crater Lake, which I visited about a year or so ago when I was in Oregon on a business trip :

500px-Crater_Lake_Pan_Giampaolo_20040717_72_78.jpg

A really stunning place to visit if you're in Oregon, worth the drive.

And yes, yes, I know, you want pictures of characters and dialogues and war torn ruins, not a sunny lake in the mountains. Deal with the disappointment. :P

It`s a huge improvement compared to the old ones.

One question, Is the character looking through some sunglasses or why is there no bloom?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Because Gareth is not a professional developer. He doesn't know how to make next-generation games. WHAT A NOOB LOL!

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Lol. Indeed. :D

Bloom is like swearing. If you use it everywhere it loses its impact. Use it sparingly and when you do it has impact.

In the right circumstances it can add to a scene, definitely. I loved the sun drenched look of PoP : Sands of Time. But it must be used carefully. ;)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Naked Ninja and VD(IT) have you ever thought of joining forces? I think it would be pretty interesting and it would benefit you both...

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
One question, Is the character looking through some sunglasses or why is there no bloom?
There's no bloom because Gareth is from South Africa not Australia!

BloominOnion.jpg

Durwyn

Prophet
Okay.. call me a gfx whore, but me thinks that the grass is a bit too dark, and it doesn't blends well with ground texture. However i like it very much, looks nextgenish enough for me now.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The technical aspect of the graphics reminds me of Call of Juarez, and the design looks a bit like Carnivores (hell if I know why, though), but in both cases it's good - a good mix of pleasant looks and freshness but at the same time feels kind of 'old school'.

Truth

Scholar
Looks good. Didn't think the Torque engine could do that.

What's the etymology behind the name of the place? Sounds like some Slavic verb or something to mean "hurry up."

e.g. "Ghevist you fool! They will catch us soon!"

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Ah good, success then! :)

The etymology behind the word was that I wanted a word that sounded guttural and eastern european and made up one that I thought sounded so. ;)

And thanks :) Torque is capable of a lot more than most people think.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems like it. Have you worked with Ogre before?

I'm working with it since some months now. Seems nifty. But it requires a lot of work to make simple things (basic shaders, etc. ) work.... And let's not even start talking about shadows.. damn it. I hate shadow integration >.<

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Not personally, besides a cursory glance. I had a friend who worked with Ogre though. He said the demos were cool but the issues come up when you try and move past what the demos do, especially with things like shadows.

To be honest, I don't think there is any easy path to game development, no matter which engine you choose. It's all tough, frustrating going. Persistence is key. :)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Naked Ninja said:
To be honest, I don't think there is any easy path to game development, no matter which engine you choose. It's all tough, frustrating going. Persistence is key. :)

Some months ago, I wouldn't have had a clue what you are talking about.
But, well, yeah ;)
And it doesn't get better with deadlines -.-

Btw.... I think you should take a look at those tree textures, there are some very striking, repetitive patterns that could be made less obvious with some simple work.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Student project for my (and I know there will be :roll: s now) Game Design study. Nothing special, I just started programming.. well.. since I'm studying ;)

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Nothing wrong with that. I started out learning game development stuff in University, my favorite module was game programming (not quite game design but I would have taken that as well if had been on offer). 7 years, 1 and a half custom written game engines and a move over to Torque later, here I am...

Starting with Ogre will probably save you a lot of time though. :)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Naked Ninja said:
1 and a half custom written game engines

Sick bastard!
If there is one thing I'll never do, then it is writing my own engine ;)

Naked Ninja said:
Starting with Ogre will probably save you a lot of time though. :)

I hope so... I will continuing working with Ogre for the next 4 semesters, though I'll also try doing more game design and giving away some of the coding stuff to other students.
Anyway, this thread is not about me... PM if you want to continue ;)

cardtrick

Arbiter
Wow, those shots are incredible. It's hard to believe you're a one-man team! I haven't been checking your blog frequently enough . . . Does that water look as good in motion as it does in these screenshots? One way or another, that can't be stock TGEA water, can it -- surely you did some tweaking? Anyway, the whole effect is great, and modeling an area on Crater Lake was an excellent idea.

Oh, and my new standard comment, mostly directed at the sheeep: for anyone thinking about OGRE, give Horde3D a good hard look before committing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom