Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll : Diablo 3.. To respec or not to respec?

Would you like to see respec included in Diablo 3?

• Hell no! What you see is what you get.. I can replay this game to death so WHO needs respec

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes! If I see a new build that owns mine I want to instantly be able to switch it up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Eron

Novice
I'm wondering how many peeps want respec in Diablo 3.

Respec allows you to essentially rebuild your character stats like in WOW. In case you never played WOW barely like me! ;)

Eron

Novice
Hmmm.. It's hard to vote for severe penalties << ( Duh ya I mispelled it.. Man, stay in school kids! ;) ) when that's not defined..

So, .. perhaps I should of had a mild option for penalty, or something more defined..

Armacalypse

Scholar
What's the point in not having respecs? Forcing players to level up again? How is that fun and/or challenging/skillfull?

If you want to level a character up instead of respeccing then just do it for fuck's sake. This mentality that the whole game is about competing in leveling up is retarded. Go play a fucking MMO. I, like most others just want to play a fun game in cooperative.

Eron

Novice
Armacalypse said:
What's the point in not having respecs? Forcing players to level up again? How is that fun and/or challenging/skillfull?

If you want to level a character up instead of respeccing then just do it for fuck's sake. This mentality that the whole game is about competing in leveling up is retarded. Go play a fucking MMO. I, like most others just want to play a fun game in cooperative.

Thats not a bad point.. But I would of thought maybe the game could actually be that fun... That fun, where the skills are balanced good, the game is interesting and dynamic and its actually FUN to play it again and try something new...

Binary

Liturgist
I vote for respecs, but with some penalty. I think Guild Wars had a good system in the beginning: for every 1000xp you made, you could respec one stat point

So let's say in Diablo 3, for every 20 monsters you kill, you get to respec (but only back in town!) one point from the skill tree.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Respeccing for non-hardcore mode. Only one respec allowed per level. Keeps the fun for casual gamers who cannot decide on a playing style. Hardore players can either choose not to use it or play hardcore mode.
The option doesn't diminish the playing experience for anybody but increases it for everybody learning the ropes. Especially when they don't scoure forums for über-builds. But are constantly called noobs for not using them (mmo-asshole-syndrome: A possibility even on battlenet).

I really don't understand what your problem is with respeccing.

Eron

Novice
I suppose I haven't really had those syndrome's affect me because I play with friends only mostly and not so much in random player games..

So I can see that point too... But I still have a problem with it overall.. However I would indeed be willing to consider some of the stipulations mentioned..

Murk

Arcane
How big of a respect? just of level-by-level gained skills? of WoW like talents? or full blown "you're back to level 1 with enough experience to level you up to where you were" ?

Eron

Novice
Thats a really good point too... I would say the scope of this argument would be remapping the entire skill tree..

I would consider variations on this to be penalties of some sort.. A mage can't just learn the art of fire over time, and in one day reverse it to cold.. Or should they be able to?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Inquisition.jpg

Poorly drawn, not art

Dire Roach

Prophet
Eron said:
A mage can't just learn the art of fire over time, and in one day reverse it to cold.. Or should they be able to?
Then again, we're talking about an action game where you can chug ten potions down in the blink of an eye while swinging two huge axes and being raped by 20 demons all at the same time.

You might think that not being able to respec encourages players to plan ahead and place their skill points wisely, but all it really does is make advancement seem like a game of minesweeper while encouraging cookie cutter builds. Boy, doesn't it feel great to be as über as everybody else who followed the same recipe? Or how about when you find out, after making a few intuitive progression choices, that your build is totally non-viable for the last act of the game? Or that some pro-gamer's build you chose to imitate is actually boring as fuck to play until you get to level 80?

Shannow's suggestion is spot-on, you can stroke your e-peen as much as you want in hardcore mode, where respecs could be excluded entirely. And respecs in softcore mode don't have to be so forgiving either; a system I had in mind consisted of being able to retrieve your skill points, one by one, in the same order they were spent starting with the last, each costing you a certain amount of xp according to your level.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Zomg totally gonna quote some other forum:
stephan said:
casserole said:
Here’s the thing Stillman, why do you even care about someone else’s character to begin with? As long as Swiffer isn’t doing something that infringes upon your game, then I dare say that you have no right to worry about Swiffer.

This is the core of why so many of the anti-respecs arguments are not only wrong, but unfair. I have heard post after post about how respecs will ruin the game, how respecs go against what RPG’s/ARPG’s/Diablo has come to represent. The fact is, we all have our own ideas of how the game should be played. My desire to have voluntary respecs won’t change how anyone plays D3. Because of their voluntary nature, they won’t effect you if you don’t want them to. So in essence, my wish for respecs won’t affect any of your playstyles, which is how it should be.
But this is nonsense, you play games by certain rules. Why force people to have a health bulb? Why not let have chars all the skills in the game at maximum potential right from the start? The fact that I want these things doesn't affect your gaming experience right? Why not have vendors that have all items at 0 cost, for all I care?

Respec is not anything else than a rule of a game you can be in favor of or against. You cannot argue that you don't want to be forced into rules, since you cannot play a game without them. In fact, a game is made by its rules. In other words, you don't give a reason for wanting respec other than that you want it (meaning you don't give any reason at all). It is not unfair that a game has rules!

The reason why I am against respec is because it potentially kills a strategical aspect of a game, which is developing your character in such a manner that it can deal sufficiently with any situation in the game. I don't want a play style where you can easily deal with one situation and then respec afterwards to deal easily with the next. And no, I can't ignore the possibility of respec when it's there anymore than I can play D2 Softcore with a D2 Hardcore mindset. It just doesn't work.

And it's not me caring about what someone else does with his characters, it's me caring about what the game actually becomes.

aron searle

Arcane
The reason why I am against respec is because it potentially kills a strategical aspect of a game, which is developing your character in such a manner that it can deal sufficiently with any situation in the game.

Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
Uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer
uses hammer

Armacalypse

Scholar
Kingston said:
Zomg totally gonna quote some other forum:
Ok.

stephan said:
The reason why I am against respec is because it potentially kills a strategical aspect of a game, which is developing your character in such a manner that it can deal sufficiently with any situation in the game. I don't want a play style where you can easily deal with one situation and then respec afterwards to deal easily with the next.
This argument fails because of the fact that you can still have one character for each situation, it just requires grinding. But is grinding really the aim of the game?

stephan said:
And no, I can't ignore the possibility of respec when it's there anymore than I can play D2 Softcore with a D2 Hardcore mindset. It just doesn't work.
That this guy can't choose to delete his char as soon as he dies in order to simulate hardcore just means he lacks determination. But by all means, let them create hardcore characters that can't respec if they want to.

Dire Roach

Prophet
steFAG said:
It is not unfair that a game has rules!
You weren't able to pick up health globes, play as female barbarians, or kill monsters by destroying the environment before, either. Has Blizzard no shame in making up all these new rules?

The reason why I am against respec is because it potentially kills a strategical aspect of a game, which is developing your character in such a manner that it can deal sufficiently with any situation in the game. I don't want a play style where you can easily deal with one situation and then respec afterwards to deal easily with the next.
So it's totally fun for you to find out your strategy has completely fallen apart and have to start all over again from level 1 thanks to some monsters that resist everything but poison attacks in Act 4? Ah, yes, I guess it's all your fault for not reading those strategy guides and knowing exactly what you'd encounter ahead of time. L2P!

Norfleet

That, and even when you do everything right, Blizzard decides that it is now wrong, and at the next patch, your character is turned into junk. Have a nice day. I would be opposed if this was a company that wasn't like Blizzard, but this is BLIZZARD. If you find anything good, it will be nerfed. You NEED respec in a Blizzard game.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Dire Roach said:
steFAG said:
It is not unfair that a game has rules!
You weren't able to pick up health globes, play as female barbarians, or kill monsters by destroying the environment before, either. Has Blizzard no shame in making up all these new rules?

So it's totally fun for you to find out your strategy has completely fallen apart and have to start all over again from level 1 thanks to some monsters that resist everything but poison attacks in Act 4? Ah, yes, I guess it's all your fault for not reading those strategy guides and knowing exactly what you'd encounter ahead of time. L2P!
That'd be a great point if not for the fact that no such imbalance has ever existed in Diablo. The only things that really matter are the act bosses, everything else you can skip for better hunting elsewhere. And if you specced your character as nothing but cold damage, well, fuck, yeah you deserve to lose. Using at least 2 elements is extremely basic logic in a game like this. Hell, I just checked and the only boss with over 75% resist ANYTHING is duriel to cold, and even he's only at 95% in hell. Most people have -enemy resist by that time if they're depending very heavily on one element.

Being able to respec cheapens the character building process. If you're never more than a click away from having the same stats and skills as any other barbarian in the game, theres not much point in having a skill tree at all. The whole point of having a high level of customization on your stats is so that you can make a unique character or fine tune your performance. Respeccing shouldn't be necessary if they spill the details on what everything does, and blizzard is pretty good about doing that for their games. (For the most part anyways. They seem to have a hardon for making attack speed vague and mysterious in every fucking game.)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I can remember playing the original Diablo as a wizard. I focussed solely on fire spells. Then I got to the end where everything was immune to fire. I think I barely managed to get through thanks to a lot of perseverance and some staff weapons.

The lesson I learned was: Always pick the guy who bashes stuff. Nothing is ever immune to being whacked or poked with a sharp object. My next character was a Paladin with Holy Bolt. Funnily enough, Holy Bolt blew away Diablo in no time flat compared to the effort I had to spend with the fire mage.

That said, respec is for gays. Why bother having skills at all if you can just change them? What's the fucking point? It's like whinging in Doom that you spent all your chaingun ammo taking out the 500 Shotgun Zombie's in the previous room and now don't have any when you're facing a bunch of Cacodemons and asking can you swap some shotgun shells for bullets please? You made the choice, live with it ("universal ammo" is also the lamest idea ever to enter an FPS).

The game should be designed so that yeah, it might be a little challenging in some areas for some characters or people who've made certain decisions. That's what games are about. Challenge. They're not meant to be cake-walks. That said, you shouldn't be so screwed that you can't get through without a bit of extra effort. IE: Not to the extent that you have to completely rebuild your character. That's just piss poor game design.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
"The lesson I learned was: Always pick the guy who bashes stuff. Nothing is ever immune to being whacked or poked with a sharp object"

Except physical immunes.

"This argument fails because of the fact that you can still have one character for each situation, it just requires grinding. But is grinding really the aim of the game? "

What are you talking about? That you can create multiple characters and build them differently so they excel in different areas? Yeah, that's the point. Building a character that can balance weaknesses and strengths is fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom