Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frayed Knights Demo Released

Jason

chasing a bee
Those of you desperate for some old school, turn-based, first person, "blob with arms & legs" RPG action will be happy to know that the demo, or pilot episode, for <a href="http://www.rampantgames.com/frayedknights/">Frayed Knights</a> has been released by <a href="http://www.rampantgames.com/blog/">Rampant Coyote</a>. For a description of the game, let's swipe a quote from the <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=80&ref=0&id=323">recent interview</a> at RPG Watch:
<blockquote>Frayed Knights is Rampant Games’ upcoming comedy-based fantasy RPG. It’s a blend of old-school style (first-person, turn-based, party-based adventures like Wizardry, The Bard’s Tale, Dungeon Master, and Might & Magic) with “real” 3D graphics, a healthy dose of character-based humor, and some quirky gameplay innovations. It’s part parody, part homage to both CRPGs and pen-and-paper RPGs.

It’s primarily a story about four misfit adventurers in a world that tries to justify all the weird things that happens in RPGs. The world of Frayed Knights is one with a subset of the population that were “adventurers” and acted like Player Characters tend to act. Which is to say, often amoral, ruthless, and greedy. Most of the time.

However, the adventurers are starting to die off. That in itself is not too surprising – the life of an adventurer is often short but exciting. But something is changing, and the rate of “morts” (deaths) is becoming alarmingly high. Plus, there are rumors of an “Ancient Evil™” rising out in the boonies. Things are going bad for the “adventurer community.”

But the Frayed Knights – themselves pretty much the laughingstock of adventurers everywhere – may be the only ones who can save them.</blockquote>
Get that demo <a href="http://www.rampantgames.com/frayedknights/">here</a>.

elander_

Arbiter
A dainty elvin warrior with an inferiority complex and a hot temper.

A thrill-junky rogue who considers defying death the best alternative to boredom.

A cute but scatterbrained sorceress with destructive tendencies.

A tree-hugging nature-priest who wonders why everyone can't just get along.

Together, they are going to save a kingdom from destruction...

...if they don't kill each other first.

Funny stuff.

Special_Can

Scholar
Fuck yes! I've been looking forward to this ever since that interview. 17%. I'm only getting 20 KB per second...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Was OKish. I just wish the demo had been long enough to make at least one level...
The only gag that realy amused me was the treasure chest with one silver piece in it ;)

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Quite nice, the dialogue between the four party adventurers is charming. I don't see much replayability, but then again this is only a pilot. Another independent to watch!

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
ferretoq8.jpg

RampantCoyote

Novice
I decided to call it a pilot instead of a demo because I don't have a "non-demo" version around right now (so it's a demo of WHAT, exactly?), and I'm actually expecting to change a bit based on the feedback I'm getting on it.

So far, the feedback has been - well, excellent. It's been about 80% positive, but nearly EVERYONE has some constructive criticism of how they'd improve the game. Some of them are mutually exclusive, so of course I won't be implementing all of them.

So thanks tons for everyone who takes part in the survey, or comments here. It helps.

Durwyn

Prophet
Hey it's a nice thing you're doing there with this survey feedback thing. It is rarely seen thing these days. Altough i have a mixed feelings about the demo aka pilot, I wish you well on your work. Frayed Knights defenitely have big potential.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I beta tested this one and I think it's well worth trying out for anyone who likes character driven and/or old school blob RPGs. It's free and it'll probably only take a couple hours to finish.

So, support Jay because he's a good dude and he's making a real attempt at making an actual good RPG.

Andhaira

Arcane
Wow how come I never heard of this until today!!

Whats the system requirements for the demo? How big is it? (I have dial up)

-When will the full game be released?

-Why is the game free???

I only wish it were 3rd person, but hey!! At least its turnbased.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom