Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Destruction of Tarant Video in Arcanum. Myth or Fact?

Klaz

Scholar
This topic contains some minor Arcanum spoilers.

As some of you may already know, there have been rumours of a ''hidden'' cinematic in Arcanum ever since it came out.

This cinematic, many say, depict the dwarves of the Wheel Clan invading and eventually destroying Tarant. Known witnesses have described this video as ''breath-taking'' and ''beautiful''

I've never seen it, neither in the game, nor in places like YouTube.

Apparently, the way to activate this is, after finding out that the Black Mountain Mines clan in T'seng-Ang has been banished to the Void, you must speak to Loghaire as an evil dwarf (It's been said that you need high charisma, intelligence, and persuasion attributes too) and you'll eventually be able to convince him that humans are evil or something and this will trigger the video, and all the people in Tarant except Magnus, that dwarf in the university, and Donn Throgg will be dead.

I have run through the game many times with hacked and legit characters to see this video, but I've never found out how to do it. I've tried to talk to Loghaire in many states (Without convincing him to return as a king, having convinced him to return as a king, after Magnus takes the Wheel Clan, after a dwarf genocide done by myself, etc.) and I have never, ever, found the mythical dialog and video.

I ask of you, wise codexers, has any of you found a way to trigger this video, know any info about it, or can confirm that it is a hoax?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Aren't all the Arcanum videos stored as .bix files in a /video directory anyway? I mean, you could just look through them all. Can't verify that though as I... shock and horror... don't have Arcanum installed. Blame the combat. I do vaguely remember fucking around with those videos at one point though.

Klaz

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
Aren't all the Arcanum videos stored as .bix files in a /video directory anyway? I mean, you could just look through them all. Can't verify that though as I... shock and horror... don't have Arcanum installed. Blame the combat. I do vaguely remember fucking around with those videos at one point though.

Yeah, there's a module/video directory, but I have seen all those already. There's still a possibility of the cutscene being true, since the company logos and the endings aren't in that directory either.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Re: The Destruction of Tarant Video in Arcanum. Myth or Fact

Klaz said:
I ask of you, wise codexers, has any of you found a way to trigger this video?
No way. The trigger is broken.
You can however find this piece of art in one of .dat files in root directory. I don't remember which one, but you gotta unpack them and do some research yourself.

I wrote Leonard Boyarsky a letter about this, asking why they did this video and hid it so deeply.
His answer:
It was Tim's suggestion to make this video the most beautiful of in-game cinematics as a reward to the most dedicated players and the result was so astonishing that we even made a concept for our cancelled project "Journey to the center of Arcanum" with legions of dwarves marching towards Tarant and then destroying it completely.
It was supposed to be triggered by challenging Loghaire and killing him after helping Magnus to find the Whell Clan but we had to cut this option off because of it's incompatibility with most other endind sequences. You can still find this video somewhere in .dat files.
Hope that helps, Leo.

Andhaira

Arcane
Its a hoax.

lol, can't belive people still fall for this. Seriously, hidden video that is the BEST and AMAZING? lol yeah. Its fake.

Texas Red

Whiner
Call me a dumbfuck but what has this thread anything to do with April 1? People have been claiming that there exist such a video for a long time. Or are you talking about what what Ander posted?

Klaz

Scholar
Andhaira said:
Its a hoax.

lol, can't belive people still fall for this. Seriously, hidden video that is the BEST and AMAZING? lol yeah. Its fake.

Well, you can't really blame me. My first RPG was Morrowind, the game where all the awesome stuff is hidden.

Andhaira

Arcane
lol it all seems awesome at first,and much of it is in morrowind.Until you hit that crap spot where you can crush anything in the game easilyand find out there are a zillion such places all over morrowind...and they all look the same!

(though the cave with the vampire was anasty shocker; the one with the daedra was even nastier, especially if you were encountering these for the first time)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want this video. I want it. Ladonna, come here and upload the video. You said you actually *had* that thing happen on one of your playthoughs. Use Fraps or something and fucking prove it. PROVE IT GODDAMMIT

Klaz

Scholar
larpingdude14 said:
Ander Vinz said:
What awesome hidden stuff in Morrowind? Where?
a talking mudcrab merchant

Well, I was thinking more about the likes of Indiana Jones' corpse and the room full of naked khajits, but that's awesome too.

TheLostOne

Savant
It is actually funny. Bethesda knows they're making shitty adventure games with stats now, not RPGs, thus the dead Indie. Plus they secretly admit that they're all closet furries.

Klaz

Scholar
TheLostOne said:
It is actually funny. Bethesda knows they're making shitty adventure games with stats now, not RPGs, thus the dead Indie. Plus they secretly admit that they're all closet furries.

Wow, I never saw it that way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom