Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn Based vs RealTime: Whats your favorite and why?

Andhaira

Arcane
TOPIC.

Basically what kind of combat do you like in your rpg's, and why? (For thebasis of simplicity, lets assume all pseudo turnbased systems such as RTwP and phased, etc are all part of turnbased. Yes I know they are not really, but they are close enough in most cases)

I prefer turnbased, whether its a single pc game or a party, since I am a slow and methodcial thinker and like to plan my moves taking into considertaion things such as terrain, weather, wind patterns, the sun, high ground vs low ground, character traits, skills, # of opponents, spells, etc.

You?

larpingdude14

Scholar
6pfhufo.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finally a relatively good thread by andhaira, so don't flame it until it's useless. Reductio ad Andhairam is stupid. There are enough other threads where we can flame his ass because of stupidity.

So, basically, I like both. I don't care if my game is TB or RT, as long as the combat system is done well enough. JA 2 and ToEE have awesome TB combat systems, and I'd be glad if more games had such a nice TB combat, but I'd prefer a good RT over a bad TB at any time. And it really depends on the game's style. Party-based RPG? Turn based. Single character RPG? Real time action combat would be my favourite there.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I like turnbase because when a game starts going real time and throws a bunch of shit at me I start to cry and panic and not know what to do. Also I find turnbase more fun because you have to think of steps in advance and try to predict what the computer will do.

mjorkerina

Scholar
Yes I know they are not really, but they are close enough in most cases

Really, not. It's so much easier to make use and understand the impact of attack of opportunity, initiative and the likes in true turn based game like ToEE than in IE based games. RTwP is a sin. I long for more d&d turn based games.

JarlFrank said:
Finally a relatively good thread by andhaira, so don't flame it until it's useless. Reductio ad Andhairam is stupid. There are enough other threads where we can flame his ass because of stupidity.

The turn based / real time debate has been done to death here though, particularly in the recent flames against FO3.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Kingston said:
JarlFrank said:
Finally a relatively good thread by andhaira, so don't flame it until it's useless.

You have got to be kidding me.

No, those threads are just becoming annoying, so seeing one of them becoming a normal discussion would be nice.

On the other hand, it would be enough if andhaira stopped doing useless threads, then everyone'd be happy.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Did you make this?
Definitely not, I could maybe make the shitty ones in the second post if I had a tablet. I plan on trying to draw something on paper, though, but I need a marker or one of those cool pens I like. I got to "mildly inoffensive" at art in high school, I should be able to do something...

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Turn based can be fun, if you know how to do it. Having to select shit loads of menus can get frustraiting at times, though your able to go at your own pace.

Real time combat can also be fun, though most of the time stratagy isn't required, or if it is I'm too buisy trying to keep all of my party members at full health to notice.

I personally like real time combat, but there are games out there with turn based combat that are niffty too.

Lumpy

Arcane
If we all created every single thread we can think of in some god-forsaken forum (like, say, TCancer), we'd drain Andy's supply and he'd be forced to stop.

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Lumpy said:
If we all created every single thread we can think of in some god-forsaken forum (like, say, TCancer), we'd drain Andy's supply and he'd be forced to stop.
I fail to see how that'll help.

Off topic, do you watch Happy tree friends?

Imbecile

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
So, basically, I like both. I don't care if my game is TB or RT, as long as the combat system is done well enough. JA 2 and ToEE have awesome TB combat systems, and I'd be glad if more games had such a nice TB combat, but I'd prefer a good RT over a bad TB at any time. And it really depends on the game's style. Party-based RPG? Turn based. Single character RPG? Real time action combat would be my favourite there.

Good answer - they both have their strengths and weaknesses, though I havent played a decent party based RPG in a while.

Not sure whether there are few party based RPGs because turn based is unpopular, or there are relatively few turn based games because party based RPGs are currently unpopular (among the mainstream).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Imbecile said:
JarlFrank said:

Good answer - they both have their strengths and weaknesses, though I havent played a decent party based RPG in a while.

Not sure whether there are few party based RPGs because turn based is unpopular, or there are relatively few turn based games because party based RPGs are currently unpopular (among the mainstream).

As party based RPGs can be done real-time too [see the Infinity Engine games, or KotoR], I guess it's just because turn-based is so unpopular right now. "Phase-based" systems of games like Baldur's Gate are considered almost turn-based by the mainstream, because it's like the characters all taking turns, just at the same time, or something like this. But it's way cooler because it's real-time!

The only place where turn-based is still going well is 4x strategy and wargames.

Calis

Pensionado
Dear Andhaira,

I'm going to do this for this thread, and this thread alone. The reason why people go 'lol ur dumb' over your threads is not that they are not worthwhile subjects to talk about on this site, it's because they've a) been discussed to death and b) you generally have very little of substance to add, instead just posing the question in a "hey, wise monkeys, can you do your dance of wisdom one more time?" way.

So here's what you should do if you want to talk about any of these subjects, whether it's CRPG combat, Fallout 3, trends in the game development industry or whatever else. This award-winning strategy consists of three simple steps.
1) Use the search function to look for threads on the subject you want to talk about.
2) Read (part of) those threads, try to grasp the arguments made therein and enjoy the drama of the past
3) Formulate something meaningful to say on the subject, and feel free to reference & quote stuff from the past, but for the love of god, DON'T DRAG UP THE OLD THREADS. Take your time, get those thoughts nice and clear. Pretend you're writing for a scientific journal or, failing that, a high school essay. Reason. Quote and link if you need to. Make something of your post. Remember, it's your post, and the cool kids are going to judge you on it!

Now, because I'm such a supremely friendly fellow, I'm going to give you a portion of 1) for free, from recent history, in reverse-chronological order. Sure, step 3) is the essential one, but you seem like the kinda guy who could do worse than starting with 1) and 2).

Start with this, from the time S8 was a Fallout bastard offspring developer rather than the quasi-employed Codex-newsposting bum he is now.

From recent history (not that high of a wisdom-density in all of them, though I haven't re-read them fully, but read 'em anyway)
Lumpy asks us all what the dealio is with the RTWP hate
On why real-time is, mebbe, good in a RT(sic)S game
A short who-likes-what, with substantially less snoobin'
More on the RTWP hate dealio
Whose skills are they, anyway?
Rounds & phases
And this is the limit of my definition of "recent history"

Older stuff:
Really, read this first. It's on Project Monkey ffs.

But for the people who were already talking on-topic, by all means, continue. :D

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I often get asked why someone like Dian Fossey would become emotionally attached to gorillas. The answer, I believe, is eye contact. A male gorilla instinctively looks into a female’s eyes when she approaches him. I did it to girls who came for my autograph after a circus performance. After noticing that many of them were turning pinker than smoked salmon, I began to avert my gaze. That’s how I discovered that steady eye-contact has connotations of intimacy and seduction for the human female.

The funny thing is that the reason we do it has nothing to do with flirtation. It is actually a precautionary instinct for dealing with female gorillas, who are moody and unpredictable beasts. Occasionally, when they approach a male, their desire is to grab his testicles and squeeze them to a pulp. The first sign of this malevolent intention is the bloodshot and deranged appearance of their eyes. On observing this condition, the male sticks out one paw as a first line of defence while cupping his nutsack in the other.

NiM82

Prophet
I like both, provided the games take advantage of their format as much as possible and are optimised around it.

I will say though as I'm getting older and have more distractions in life, I'm finding myself favouring turn based/RTwP games that I can play at my own pace (and tab out of regularly to multi-task). It's not really down to a preference, simply practicality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom