Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If Bioware had not ressuciated the rpg genre...

Andhaira

Arcane
...how would crpg waters look like today?

See the thing about the IE games were that they were a HUGE commercial AND cult success. They proved rpg's could look gorgeous, make a ton of money, have a fantastic plot and great combat and tel a decent story. Praise fallout as much as you want. thing is fallout was not near as much a success as the IE games.

So if there had been no IE games we would only have had fallout 2, and wizardry 8. Not enough to make the rpg breakthrough people were looking for. IMO the rpg genre was in dire straits, and would have gone the way of the adventure genre, had the iE games not rescued it. We might have been stuck with indies only.

Your thougts?

vrok

Liturgist
funny-pictures-cat-in-couch-bad-joke.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, BG resurrected the genre in some way, but it would have gone on without it, I guess. And maybe it would be less commercialized now. But I surely would miss the greatness of the Infinity Engine... it just was so beautiful, I always felt it to be the epitome of RPG engines.

But someone else would have appeared and revived RPGs. It's the way of things. Nothing ever depends just on a certain company or person, well, mostly, that is. If Bioware didn't do it, others would have.

Andhaira

Arcane
Hmm I don't no. At least, IMO crpg's would have gone in a different direction. The way of diablo, and gothic. That is, rpg's with char gen would have been out. ALso, turnbased or tbwp would have been out and we would only have the action baed real time combat of games like gothic.

fastpunk

Arbiter
It's hard to complain because Bioware's tech brought back the interest of devs in RPGs and D&D. Had they never made Infinity Engine, Planescape: Torment might have never existed... and that would have been very very sad. On the other hand you never know if PS:T would have eventually been created on some ultra cool engine with TB combat...

Whatever, Bioware is here to stay and their games are fun, which is okay. But nothing more.

Herbert West

Arbiter
IE games were invaluable, but I wouldn't go as far as saying they resuscitated the genre. Nevertheles, they were very good and important.

Ratty

Scholar
As I am unable to recall a single worthwhile mainstream CRPG produced in the last five years (if you don't count hybrids like Gothic), I can only conclude that the genre would have been a lot better off without BioWare's efforts to "resuscitate" it. Or, to put it differently, BioWare, the paragons of mediocrity and shitty design, have indeed done a swell job resuscitating the CRPG genre, to the point where I can hardly breathe from the putrid stench of its rotting, undead cadaver.

hotdognights

Novice
I'm inclined to think that the cRPG genre would be a hell of a lot better of it forgot D&D ever existed.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I'm inclined to think that the cRPG genre would be a hell of a lot better of it forgot D&D ever existed."

u r stupid

"As I am unable to recall a single worthwhile mainstream CRPG produced in the last five years (if you don't count hybrids like Gothic), I can only conclude that the genre would have been a lot better off without BioWare's efforts to "resuscitate" it. Or, to put it differently, BioWare, the paragons of mediocrity and shitty design, have indeed done a swell job resuscitating the CRPG genre, to the point where I can hardly breathe from the putrid stench of its rotting, undead cadaver."

u r stupider

That said, genres don't die. It's a myth. The (C)RPG genre would still be around BIO or no BIO.

mjorkerina

Scholar
Your neck really is lacking the presence of a dagger cutting through the nerves controlling your body Andhaira. You should put one where it rightly belongs.

DefJam101

Arcane
Why aren't these 3-5 people getting banned exactly?

Lol internets or not, they are turning the Codex into a babbling pile of idiots. Or at least it appears that way, now.

I don't have a problem with forum trolls as long as they actually get banzord... That's part of trolling. Why are these same people still around? It's impossible to have a decent discussion.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Fallout was 1997. Diablo was 1997. Fallout 2 was 1998. Baldur's Gate was 1998. The CRPG genre wasn't revived from death by Baldur's Gate, if anything Fallout and Diablo prove that. Fallout did well enough to spawn a quickie sequel which was released before Baldur's Gate.

In fact, I would say the success of Baldur's Gate did more harm than good to the CRPG genre than it helped it. After all, the ME TOO CRPGs following Baldur's Gate were mostly shit, such as Gorasul and a few other European clones of the game. It also locked Interplay in to churning out copies of BG clones right up until it disappeared from active existence. Interplay used to make fairly diverse CRPGs, but they relaxed on their asses making Infinity Engine ports until they folded.

crufty

Arcane
Ultima VII was 1992. 16 years ago! Half of xbox live doesn't even know it exists.

Anyway, I viewed the infinity engine as a step down from ultima VII, but a step up from gold box. When shall the twain meet?

Ausir

Arcane
Andhaira said:
Hmm I don't no. At least, IMO crpg's would have gone in a different direction. The way of diablo, and gothic. That is, rpg's with char gen would have been out. ALso, turnbased or tbwp would have been out and we would only have the action baed real time combat of games like gothic.

Wait.. turn based would be out if not for BioWare's games, none of which were turn based?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom