Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bunch of new Fable 2 videos.

Starwars

Arcane
Just WTF Peter. What the hell are you doing?

Seriously, I think this game will be fun to dick around with for a few hours, like the first one was. But seriously, WTF Peter.

The combat looks even shittier than I thought though.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Looks really shitty, especially for a game whose selling point is graphics and "coolness". The world looks somewhat uninteresting, and Peter is an idiot. Looks *worse* then Fable1, really.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Since there were claims for the original Fable where you could plant a tree and come back later and it would be a giant redwood etc (not in the final game), i wonder how much of the things shown will be in the final game.
Of special interest is the gambling game that comes from the xbox marketplace that allows you to import the money you win into the Fable world.
I wonder if that will be a free download :)
And chances are if it is payware then of all the things demoed in the game that might be the only thing that will make it to the final version.
Still all and all for a console action rpg with sword fights and henchmen , it will be a seller on the 360/PS3 (probably will be a PS3 version a bit later) don't know if it will be a megahit though.
Finally theres still the question of how interactive the world is. In Fable 1 sure the scenery was beautiful but it was not open to exploration or damage, he didn't stray from the path in the playthrough so theres no way to tell if its like the original Fable , also if you age do the people and environment around you age as well, they didn't in Fable 1.

Deleted member 7219

Fable was one of the worst games I have ever played. Oblivion is a fucking masterpiece compared to Fable. I'm surprised there's any reasonable thinking person out there who is remotely interested in a sequel to such a piece of shit.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Wow, 250 year old genius millionaire extraordinaire comes back from the void to post videos from Fable2. Is this the sign of apocalypse?

Schauman

Scholar
Combat animation looks bullturd with choppy blending. Fix those and Fable 2 will make a perfect game edition of a Michael Bay movie for the days of utter desperation to waste time.

I actually liked the visual style Fable had for characters and armor. Too much belts yes, but it was something else than pissy bump mapped samurai gettup most games have. The game itself was medicore but I did enjoy playing it when there was nothing else to do. I expect the same from Fable 2. Easy, simple and time devouring content for the rainy day without getting clusterfucked on dragging dialog and minute details about Asari reproduction.

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Okay I'm going to have to be honest, there were some things I was impressed with...but then again I always loved Fable. *Prepares for a beating*

thesheeep said:
What's up with that dog? It's freaking me out.
Yeah the dog was pretty fucked up looking. It is kind of charming that most games use canin companions, ((Fallout series, Bards tale remake, and Fable 2)) but I do hope that the dog in Fable 2 can live up to the might of dogmeat.

When Peter was talking about jobs, I'm sure those are fancy words for quests. I still love taking up the offer of killing critters for gold, rather than mopping someones floor for spare change. The mini game on the other hand...well I've always hated the lil gambling games in Fable, and I'm not impressed with the new one they have to offer.
Combat also looks too easy, so I hope there's some epic battles in store for the game, and not just a swinging swords rythme game...despite Peter's attempts to dumb the game down.

The cherry on top was co op play, and the other guy killing Peters husband...speaking of Peter, him talking about having a baby and raising a family freaked the hell out of me.

Thanks for posting these videos Bryce77.

BigWeather

Augur
I was waiting for a Fable 2 thread to pop up. Thanks Bryce77.

I'm looking forward to the game. I know it's the source of much hate on the Codex but, meh, he's one of the few people that seems to try and push the sandbox boundaries a bit. I like him for that alone.

Some of what he'll do will sink, some will float. Let's scoop out the floaters and apply them to other games.

A few comments...

On PS3 future: Not a chance. Lionhead is owned by Microsoft.

On open-world: In one of the videos (I think the third) he jumped over the fence and started running in a direction. I expect there'll be unclimbable mountains and the like but I think by and large it'll be more open than Fable 1.

The Dog: The dog could work, if it's done well. I like the idea of replacing the radar with it.

Jobs: Unfortunately he stated specifically in one of the videos that quests don't pay gold and rats don't carry cash. Hopefully the "jobs" will be fun.

Co-op: Pretty impressive (if it applies to XBL too). I was disappointed the son didn't cry on his father's corpse. That's poor simulation. Unless, of course, the little bastard ran from "mommy's mean gun-happy friend" and we just didn't see it in the video. In which case that's, uh, better.

I like the idea of being able to buy any property in the game. I like the idea of being able to decorate / furnish a home.

We'll see how it turns out. I figure if it brings one good idea into RPG-dom it's worth it. He's giving a talk at 2:30 - 3:30 today at GDC that should give many more details.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BigWeather said:
I'm looking forward to the game. I know it's the source of much hate on the Codex but, meh, he's one of the few people that seems to try and push the sandbox boundaries a bit.

Wtf has Fable to do with Sandbox?

Schauman

Scholar
thesheeep said:
BigWeather said:
I'm looking forward to the game. I know it's the source of much hate on the Codex but, meh, he's one of the few people that seems to try and push the sandbox boundaries a bit.

Wtf has Fable to do with Sandbox?

Indeed, Fable was more confined than KoTOR and that area they had in the demo is linear as hell. Sure the other player jumped over that fence next to the field but look at the fences before the fight with the Hobbes, no space to go over or around them. Rocks and other elements form natural barriers there as well. There is some big ass field before the caravan guy so guess there might be some open areas, something like Zelda games have. Still wont make it a sandbox though.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unless you like to watch dogs that have their tongue hanging out of their mouth like it was nailed to that position, panting and behaving most weird.

golgotha

Liturgist
Matt7895 said:
Fable was one of the worst games I have ever played. Oblivion is a fucking masterpiece compared to Fable. I'm surprised there's any reasonable thinking person out there who is remotely interested in a sequel to such a piece of shit.
C'mon. Fable: The Lost Chapters wasn't that bad for a simple action oriented hack and slash game. I've definitely played worse. The combat was actually half decent until you inevitably become way too powerful.

BigWeather

Augur
I was bitterly disappointed that Fable 1 didn't have a wide open world. But sandbox is more than a wide open world. I think B&W had more sandbox than Fable 1 but from what we've heard of Fable 2 there may be some there.

I'm not going to bother defending it. If you guys want the same old RPGs with the same old RPG elements then go for it. I think Molyneux has a chance to introduce at least one good idea into RPGs and I'm not willing to tear down someone who tries that.

As for wanting to own property and furnish a house, that may not float your boat. I don't give a shit -- it floats mine.

Balor

Arcane
Well, taken strictly as 'very-action-bordering-arcade with miniscule elements of RPG' game, Fable was okayish untill it became repeative and boooring. (And it happened rather fast).
Don't have much hope for Fable 2, but if he manages to make it more interesting - I might try it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom