Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What could Bethesda do to make Fallout 3 a worthy sequel?

Andhaira

Arcane
IMO:

Make it 3rd Person. I know its too late for that but hey.But it hink you still might be able to see your pc in 3rd person, since its the oblivion engine.

If they stick with first person, make combat turnbased/phased (like wizardry)
At the very least make combat like deus-ex, where your stats count for nearly everything, rather than your fps skillZ.

Allow a brave diplomat perk

Bring back the night eyes perk from fallout 1, and make it really useful this time around.

Allow for lots of meaningful dilogue, and make your dialogue choices really count.

Allow multiple ways of doing quests. (like deus ex)

basically, if they are going with first person view, model the game after deus-ex with fallout themed flavor. Desu-Ex is probably the epitome of modern/semi-modern single character first person rpg'ing.

mjorkerina

Scholar
lolhat.jpg

Durwyn

Prophet
Motherfucker i felt for it :/ Haven't been on codex lately so i forgot not to click any links

WalterKinde

Scholar
Why do we get these kind of questions even after seeing the previews of the game screenshots etc?
Its very unlikely on the day before release Todd Howard et al is going to do a press release with the words "Ha Ha fooled ya all, now here's the REAL Fallout 3"

As for the question what they could do is change the name of the game and sell the IP to someone else but that is never going to happen.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Brother None should infiltrate the dvd printing factory before they will print fallout3 and switch all F3's textures to goatse

Andhaira

Arcane
They could call it post apoclyptic Oblivion set in the future.

heck, the name oblivion would be fitting then.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Andhaira said:
They could call it post apoclyptic Oblivion set in the future.

heck, the name oblivion would be fitting then.

That wouldn't make it a worthy Fallout game though.

Andhaira

Arcane
Thats the point. Honestly, I wouldn't really have minded a fallout universe spinoff from any company (I liked tactics) but see fallout 3 should be 3rd person and turnbased. What I would really have changed from FO1 and 2 is make NPC's fully player controllable. Black Isle/Interplay fucked upthere by making ncpc's computer controlled.

Also, I would include martial arts styles.

Lumpy

Arcane
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Same as the "canon" answer to Ravel's question; regret...and a heap of it.
Actually, the canon answer in "Whatever you believe in". Not belief itself, mind you.

nik2008ofs

Scholar
Yes, I am sure they deeply regret rolling in money...

Bethesda has nothing to regret and no reason to change, the masses that loved Oblivion want Fallout 3 to be a Oblivion with Gunz, and that's what they'll give them. So for FO3 to change, it's the general gaming populace attitude towards games that must change... Don't hold your breath while you wait.

Lumpy said:
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Same as the "canon" answer to Ravel's question; regret...and a heap of it.
Actually, the canon answer in "Whatever you believe in". Not belief itself, mind you.

I could buy that as it would fit quite well, but it always seemed like certain answers were more "weighted". "Nothing" had the fact that the Nameless One was damned to a fate of dying over and over again no matter what, whether it be on the planes as an immortal or the Blood War as a petitioner. "Regret" had all of the companions having something they possibly regretted, not to mention an entire fortress built of it. "Love/compassion" had the Nameless One sacrificing himself to remove the bonds he had subconsciously or previously enforced on the companions and others. But a lot of the others didn't really have much meat behind them.

Then again, I could easily be missing something.

Yes, I am sure they deeply regret rolling in money...

Hate to argue the hippie point, but money really isn't everything, especially after a point. It definitely can buy tools that aid in happiness, but after awhile, materialism comes back with diminishing returns as far as happiness goes.

Not to mention, after checking into things a wee bit and making some inferences, I doubt the average Bethesda employee is rolling in cash. They probably are living pretty comfortably, but they most certainly aren't even in the wealth area of say....electrical engineers, business attorneys, partners in large law firms, or specialty practitioners.

Balor

Arcane
Well, best Beth could do is to hire all the people that were responcible for F1-2, give them lots of money, lots of free time... and GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM THEM untill the game is ready.
Todd, in particular, should not be allowed near the office where F3 team is... and by 'near' I mean 'distance of a steady headshot with a 12.7 mm sniper rifle'. And if he does, headshot MUST be provided.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom