Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 (Unofficial Expansion) Iron Man Challenge

dagorkan

Arbiter
Iron Man Thread Challenge: Fallout 2 (Killap's Mod)

STATS/LISTS

Code:
Active players/Roster
------------------
     Player         Character          Desc/Archetype          Gifted?          Level

1. dagorkan         Ragnar             Jack-of-all-trades      No                 6          DEAD!
2. Mr Happy         Elwood             Medic/diplomat?         Yes                2
3. dolio            Ziggy              Mechanic/brawler        Yes                5          DEAD!
4. ?                ?                  ?                       ?                  ?

Code:
The Wieners
-----------
   Name          Game             Alignment          Gifted           Favorite Ending

1. ?                F2:KM
2. ?                F2:KM
3. ?                F2:KM
4. ?                F2:KM

Code:
The Losers
----------
   Player    Character      Game       Gifted      Level     Cause of Death

1. dolio     Ziggy          F2:KM      Yes         5         Killed in a scuffle with customs in Vault City
2. dagorkan  Ragnar         F2:KM      No          6         Slapped to death by a Jet Whore in The Den
3. ?         ?              F2:KM      ???         ?
4. ?         ?              F2:KM      ???         ?

Code:
The Holodisk of Shame
---------------------
   Player    Character      Game       Gifted     Cause of Death

1. dagorkan  Ragnar         F2:KM      No         Slapped to death by a Jet Whore after barely surviving Tyler's gang
2. ?         ?              F2:KM      ?
3. ?                        F2:KM      ?
4. ?         ?              F2:KM      ?

Code:
The Board of Fallen Heroes
--------------------------

Fallout 2: KM
NPC          # of Deaths    # of Survivals
Sulik             1               N/A
Vic               1               N/A
Miria             1               N/A
Davin            N/A              N/A
Cassidy           1               N/A
Lenny             ?               N/A
Marcus            ?               N/A
Myron            N/A              N/A
Skynet           N/A              N/A
K-9              N/A              N/A
Goris            N/A              N/A
Cyber Dog        N/A              N/A
Dogmeat           ?               N/A

RULES/INFO

I'm lazy / smart so I'll quote from Bradylama's thread:

-Where can I get Fallout 1&2?-

You mean you don't have it already!? :gonk: You missed out on fine gaming, my friend. For those of you who cannot find your old copies or have never played the game, Interplay released a game pack shortly before they tanked with both Fallout RPGs and Fallout Tactics on one DVD, all optimized for Windows XP which you can find on any game distribution webstore. Chances are you'll get the International version which had children removed but don't sweat it, there's patches for that.

If you haven't played before I wouldn't recommend playing Iron Man until at least one playthrough, and I suggest starting with Fallout 1 first. If you can't wait for package delivery and want to get them some other way... I don't give a shit.

For those of you installing from the original CD copies use this handy dandy guide for installing 1&2 in Windows2000, NT, and XP. Mac gamers *snort* need not apply.

If you're worried about being able to run it, the games were made in 1998 and 1999. They're 2D, and anybody can run them. You'll have to live with a fixed 640x480 resolution, but the art is so good you shouldn't care.

-Where can I get Killap's Mod-

Edit: Follow NMA instructions, and see fifth post of this thread

<s>Bugged, don't download

All the files from a fast host, includes latest Fixes and children patch for non-US version. Tell me if it there are any problems with it.</s>

edit: You'll also need this )just unpack into your Fallout directory)

Alternatively, go here (NMA thread)

-Da Rules-

1. Save often and alternate between saves. If one file becomes corrupted you'll need that other one to fall back on.

[Note: especially true for Killap's mod, I had a nasty crash just when I entered Klamath, luckily I'm obsessive-compulsive about saving (though I haven't reloaded except to start the game), and I had a save in an empty random encounter just before arriving - reloading and entering Klamath seemed to get rid of that bug.]

2.Fallout 2 players should use this patch, which solves the high processing issue with map travel and increases encounters to the normal rate.

3. DON'T RELOAD FAGGOT! Ctrl+L sissy boys aren't welcome. If Dogmeat or any other follower bites the dust, tough shit. Post about it and get mondo cool points. If you die, then that's just a faster trip to the board.

4. Don't use your screename as your character name. You're probably gonna die. It wouldn't do to have your name going up on the board multiple times, so be creative.

5. No Speedrunning. Under absolutely no conditions are you to speedrun through your Iron Man. That's just gay. Don't go to Navarro to get the Power Armor early, don't do anything that would throw off the natural progression of the game. If you want to avoid combat and come back when you're ready, that's fine. To prove that you didn't speedrun, do the following:

6. Update your character's progress using screenshots either via the Print Screen button (not recommended) or by using F12. When saving a screenshot with F12, a .bmp version of your screen will be saved to the game directory. Convert it to JPEG, host it, and post it. Give a description of what's going on and how you're progressing, and don't bore use with how many times you fucked Mrs. Bishop, just tell us about the cool stuff or present it in a humorous or interesting way. If you avoided a major combat then get a screencap of proof, preferably a dialog screen. If you don't have image hosting then use Photobucket.com or any other crappy and free hosting service. If you can't keep up with all the necessary screens, don't sweat it, it's just more interesting this way.

7. Be sure to preface your description of every NPC death with the :( smiley so that I can spot them and add to the tally Board of Fallen Heroes. Make sure to take a screenshot of their beautiful corpse.

8. "I died, what now?" Post about it, Meathead! When your character dies use this picture:
vd_tombstone.jpg

or:
co_tombstone.jpg

for the appropriate games. Describe how you died, and your name goes on the Board of Losers (but you're a winner for being honest), and if you died in a particularly stupid way, it'll go in the Holodisk of Shame. Once you're done with all the info, it's time to make another character in either game, and start anew!

9. "What if I don't die? What if I win?" THEN YOU A WINNER! CONGRATURATION! You get on the Wieners Board. Just be sure to mention whether your character was primarily good or evil, which NPC followers survived, and which one of the multiple endings you're most proud of.

Now GET CRACKING CRACKAS!

dagorkan

Arbiter
Here's my character - I started yesterday didn't take screenshots at beginning.

Current location/situation: level 2, Arroyo
Current status: ALIVE

charprintout2zu9.jpg

(Note: game crashed right after I did that print out, I'm guessing due to the mod - the rest of you probably should use screenshots)

As I said here he's level 2, just cleared the Temple of Trials, going round stealing from all the tents before he heads out of Arroyo. I'm going to try to play a kind of amoral, cowardly, anti-social reject (which is difficult for me) hoping that keeps me alive.

I managed to get a bunch of that XP and avoid any physical pain by TALKING THE WARDEN GUY OUT OF A FIGHT (NN, take note).

Mr Happy

Scholar
scr00000pd7.png

Here we go, Elwood, 25 year old single white female. High perception and all that so I can skip gecko (I used gifted, blow me). I decided it to mix it up with the doctor skill and fast shot as well.

scr00003yd8.png

THATS RIGHT

scr00005zs3.png

Fuck, now what.

scr00007dr4.png

My gender gets me a special deal, but it's not enough to by me my much desired pipe rifle.

scr00006at1.png

I decide to help out the Torr brothers rustle some cattle, but it only gets me $50 and -58 in karma (and I don't rembember having that karma trait up there? Whatever, it won't last long)

scr00008fn6.png

Neato.

dagorkan

Arbiter
UPDATE

Arroyo

I did a bunch of the usual boring quests, kill the man-eating plants (almost died!), fix the well... then stole my bitch aunt's piece of flint to get an upgraded spear, now it's time to start killing. Here I am taking on two Geckos who jumped me since they followed me back to the exit of the map when I ran through to gather herbs.

scr00001.jpg

Snuck through the patrols to get Smokey the dog, and now hoping to sneak back without a fight.

scr00003.jpg

No luck!

Smokey and me get down to preparing some Gecko kebabs. Which we do with barely a scratch, well except Smokey who's almost dead.

scr00007.jpg

FREEDOM!!

scr00008.jpg

After returning my nephew's dog, stocking up on healing herbs and finishing the other crappy quests I'm ready to leave this backward shithole and get a taste of Civilization (Klamath...)

On the way I get stopped a half dozen times for no reason that I can see, just empty maps (a bug with the mod?). The one encounter I do get is three quarters of the way there when my character somehow wander into the middle of a grove/bush of PC-eating plants.

scr00011.jpg

I easily escape them and start skewering a family of innocent Radscorpions.

scr00013.jpg

Klamath

Here I am arriving in Klamath. First thing I do is go talk to the village idiot, fully intending to double-cross him, rescue him and use that to get my first companion (I've read the walkthrough, but never tried this path before).

scr00014.jpg

Talking to the Duntons after robbing them of their entire stock of Meat Jerkey.

scr00015.jpg

Torr ran off to hide from the 'Bugmen', I collected my reward and now here I am double-crossing them to Ms Buckner.

scr00021.jpg

Feeding the Dog and getting the key to Trapper Town

scr00022.jpg

Fighting the Robot

scr00025.jpg

"CRITICAL HIT FOR 25 POINTS" - as for me, not a scratch

scr00026.jpg

Checking out the Vertibird - first time I've seen it.

scr00028.jpg

Picking up the Reactor Keycard

scr00027.jpg

Getting my Pack Mule - wonder how long he'll survive

scr00029.jpg

Sulik

scr00032.jpg

And here I am at level 3 & 1/4, still alive but Radiated - I think from those Healing Powders -

char_lvl3_5.jpg

I think I'll go kill the Duntons now, then the Rat Keeng.

dagorkan

Arbiter
OK I fucked up my installation and am getting game-stopping crashes in Klamath, so I'll have to start again.

The reason seems to be that I installed the official patch v1.02 over the manual installation before installing the mod. The thread says it's optional but it added a patch000.dat, which Killap says must not be there.

So to be safe, just do your F2 Manual Installation and Killap's Automatic Installer (v1.1) directly over that and then add the Fixes.

DON'T USE THE INSTALLER I LINKED TO IN THE 1ST POST (sendspace host)

dolio

Scholar
I guess I'll give this a shot. It's been a while since I've played this game, so I might muddle around a bit. Also, apparently the screenshot feature doesn't work like Arcanum, so I missed out on a bunch of sexy action shots I thought I was taking near the beginning. :(

This is Ziggy. He's an intelligent, charismatic guy, who tries to talk his way out of problems, but when the chips are down, he's not afraid to punch someone in the face.
scr00000ed6.jpg

As I said, I missed most of the sexy shots from the temple, but I did get this one: Ziggy punches the guardian in the face, with words!
scr00002ce6.jpg

Apparently Ziggy has a whiny nephew who's built like Mr. Universe. Good thing he has repair skillz.
scr00003ug8.jpg

When Ziggy arrives at Klammath, he runs around taking people's stuff, sells excess junk, and then buys Sulik out of slavery.
scr00004ml4.jpg

They protect some moo-moos. And then Ziggy comes across this robot. It starts acting uppity, so Ziggy punches it right in the CPU!
scr00007ov6.jpg

Next, Ziggy and Sulik go to hunt some rats, and run into a giant, evil, albino rat!
scr00000nl6.jpg

It goes after Sulik, despite the fact that Ziggy is doing most of the damage. Luckily, they manage to kill it with Sulik barely alive.
scr00001tu1.jpg

OMG! YOU CAN TALK TO TEHSE RATZ!! (Not really.)
scr00002qh0.jpg

At the end of the maze, Ziggy decides to pull some crap out of this car for no particular reason.
scr00003fr0.jpg

Then he trades most of his inventory for some snazzy leather armor.
scr00004td3.jpg

And, at this point, his stats look like so:
scr00006mt5.jpg

I'd say what I'm going to do next, but it's been long enough since I played this game that I can't remember what there is to do next. I still need to find Vic, but he's not in his shack (I can't remember if he's supposed to be or not).

Edit: An, apparently, somehow, I forgot to save after all that rat killing, so I'm going to have to do it again... :x

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Ask around town. I'm sure they know where Vic went to a while back. Think you missed a quest too :)

dolio

Scholar
Yeah, there's at least one I haven't done yet (find some dude).

On a possible upside of my ineptitude, I found a couple pieces of lewt I'd missed my first time through the rat maze. On the downside, I can't for the life of me find the pistol I found the first time through, so I don't have enough money to buy the leather armor this time.

dagorkan

Arbiter
dolio said:
Yeah, there's at least one I haven't done yet (find some dude).

On a possible upside of my ineptitude, I found a couple pieces of lewt I'd missed my first time through the rat maze. On the downside, I can't for the life of me find the pistol I found the first time through, so I don't have enough money to buy the leather armor this time.
Yeah same here. I'm stolen everything I could, but can't afford even the 10mm gun. On my first try (when I mistakenly left in the 1.02 official patch dat file) I could afford both the leather armor and the gun before entering the rat mazes... probably better this way since that was over-powered.

dolio

Scholar
All right. Pressing on. Ziggy decides to BS the guy in the golden gecko into giving him a discount, allowing him to buy leather armor without hunting for a pistol that may or may not exist (thanks, speech skill!). He and Sulik then decide to go find the guy who foolishly got himself caught in the toxic caves.

In his murderous, gecko-killing frenzy, Sulik forgets that he is, in fact, wielding a sledgehammer.
scr00000tz8.jpg

They successfully free the guy, but Zeke is to scientifically illiterate to go any further. He returns to town, radiated despite wearing galoshes. Perhaps Jenny's squeaky clean bath will rinse off the radiation?
scr00003fz7.jpg

It doesn't, and we get a glimpse of why Mass Effect's 3-choice sex dialogue is so innovative. But, luckily she knows Vic, and tells Zeke that he might be in the Den.
scr00004el4.jpg

Zeke and Sulik travel to the Den, where they get a quest to go somewhere and specifically avoid killing people.
scr00005ao1.jpg

Zeke considers buying some RadAway to help his radiation poisoning, but it's ridiculously expensive.
scr00013gg5.jpg

On the way to complete the information gathering quest, Zeke runs into the guy that Bethesda is using as their example of the essence of Fallout dialogue.
scr00011qm0.jpg

I successfully avoid killing people, gaining experience for talking my way past some guards.
scr00018bs4.jpg

dolio

Scholar
Well, I fucked up. That was a short trip.

Ziggy does some quests in the Den. For instance this brilliant one, where he takes some food to a guy.
scr00004hy6.jpg

He also finds the weakness of the thugs in front of that church. Apparently they're getting wasted later tonight.
scr00007fj9.jpg

He helps the rival thugs take over the place. But fate is not kind. As you can see, one of their guys died in the area transition...
scr00008bb5.jpg

... and the others died inside this wall, so the only loot Ziggy gets from the affair is a sledgehammer that one dude dropped on a critical failure. Lame.
scr00009hc1.jpg

He does some more quests, and eventually raise enough money to get Vic released. He tells Ziggy they should go to Vault City to find some brahmin guy.
scr00014ep8.jpg

On the way to Vault City, an ambush of radscorpions almost kills Ziggy. There are several other hostile encounters, but the party just flees from them.
scr00000di8.jpg

However, on the way, they come upon a quaint farming community that seems to be in some trouble. They have water problems, and Ziggy would solve them, except that requires explosives, and the community leader won't sell such things to him at a rate he can afford.
scr00001hq2.jpg

He does, however, decide to kill some dogs that have been attacking some guy's cattle.
scr00003sv9.jpg

The fellow's daughter is, apparently, crazy horny, like some chick at a funeral or something.
scr00004pc6.jpg

Ziggy tries to take things slow, but the girl can't resist the Ziggster's charms, and jumps him. Then the father walks in, and, long story short...
scr00007qr5.jpg

Anyhow, Ziggy decides that Modoc is lame, and finally heads to Vault City, where he engages in a pixel hunt, picks up Cassidy, and does some assorted good deeds.
scr00011on4.jpg

The people in Vault City aren't very likable, and eventually Ziggy gets to the queen jackass, and she tells him that he's supposed to go take some town out because they're polluting ground water.
scr00004of0.jpg

Ziggy talks to this charming fellow, who says they need some part that Vault City has to fix the contamination problem. Sounds like a good plan.
scr00005iq3.jpg

Ziggy mistakenly mentions it to the first bigot, and He's permanently black balled by everyone in and around Vault City. (I didn't remember the results being that bad. I thought I still had a chance to go talk to the other guy).
scr00006hz8.jpg

The team starts to head out of town, but they're jumped by highwaymen. Ziggy tries to flee, but they kill Sulik ...
scr00007st6.jpg

... and Cassidy ...
scr00008pu7.jpg

... and Vic. Ziggy and his wife head back to Vault City to see if anything's changed.
scr00009uu2.jpg

But, Ziggy, in an accident, picks a fight with the customs guy, and everyone turns hostile, so Ziggy is forced to punch some people in the eyes (note that he has gained the badass "hammer punch" attack for spending liberally in the unarmed skill).
scr00011wp8.jpg

But, the guards kill Ziggy's wife, and although he manages to knock out one of them, he eventually succumbs (that's not Ziggy yelling, by the way. That's some pansy Vault City guy).
scr00012bp7.jpg

RIP Ziggy.
co_tombstone.jpg

I'm probably not going to try another one of these. I'll probably just pick this game up from a recent save and do things right in Vault City. I'd rather not fight rats yet again, at least, as of yet.

Edit: I don't know if this is the unofficial expansion or not, but I can't travel anywhere without getting several encounters, most of which totally obliterate my party (I uninstalled the encounter booster, but that didn't seem to do anything). For instance, I'd say 75% of the encounters around Vault City are either raiders, who always kill at least someone, or a Vault City patrol fighting raiders, which, since my party is plunked smack in the middle of their battle field, always results in both groups accidentally shooting my people, and becoming hostile, and proceeding to wipe me out. Add to that the fact that I can't really afford to buy anything, and things are getting rather frustrating. Can't say I remember things being this nasty before (and Fallout, which I just got done playing, doesn't hold a candle to this).

dagorkan

Arbiter
I made level 6 and had just finished the last Den quest (helping Lara destroy Tyler's gang)... I was on 2 hit points and headed back to sell equipment, as soon as I appear on the West Den map a jet whore runs up and slaps me killing my character in one hit!

Will update with pics up to that point but I think I'll continue this game non-Ironman since I never finished Fallout 2 before.

Edit: I don't know if this is the unofficial expansion or not, but I can't travel anywhere without getting several encounters, most of which totally obliterate my party (I uninstalled the encounter booster, but that didn't seem to do anything). For instance, I'd say 75% of the encounters around Vault City are either raiders, who always kill at least someone, or a Vault City patrol fighting raiders, which, since my party is plunked smack in the middle of their battle field, always results in both groups accidentally shooting my people, and becoming hostile, and proceeding to wipe me out. Add to that the fact that I can't really afford to buy anything, and things are getting rather frustrating. Can't say I remember things being this nasty before (and Fallout, which I just got done playing, doesn't hold a candle to this).
Go to the NMA thread I linked to at the beginning, look for the latest fix for whatever version of Windows you have, it's basically an updated F2.exe + new ddraw.ddl and cfg file. I think if you just unzip that and it will get rid of that problem, you may even be able to continue with a previous save. You can go into the cfg file and modify the encounter rate to whatever you want.

I decreased the rate slightly (about 20%) and I'm not having a hard time with encounters, I've only had one of on each journey I've made so far between locations, and I only have Outdoorsman 30.

RGE

Liturgist
My solution to not getting killed by random raiders outside Vault City and Gecko is to press and hold A while the random encounter is being loaded, and then sneak away. And then snipe them from a safe distance, kiling them one by one, for great loot! :twisted:

Of course, I don't have any stupid followers to nanny, so that makes it easy enough. If you want followers to survive, it's probably best to leave them be until you've got a car to drive them around in, thereby minimizing the random encounters.

And I don't remember if I had encounter trouble with killap's patch or not. I got it working for the Ironman game I left off last time. Been thinking about picking it up again.

flabbyjack

Arcane
How the Hell do I get into the EPA? No, seriously, give me a spoiler.
I've talked to Myron and I even started a new game after reinstalling the expansion(First version Myron was bugged), the door is always locked.

Dynamite doesn't work. Door is supposed to become 'unlockable' in conversation with Myron, I think...
Message to the future : Dynamite doesn't work.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Got any dynamite? I haven't got that far, but that's what I'd try.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I tried to do an ironman playthough of Fallout 2 when Killap's expansion first came out, but I died.

Figured I'd try again.

Here's my character. I named her Skye because I hate choosing names.
scr00000.jpg

Going unarmed is probably a little suicidal, but I plan on avoiding battles I can't win.

Reed

Novice
Is contest/game thing whatever (iron man challange whatever it was called lol) still active? Cause I want to get in on this :D
I just need to know how to attach the pictures to my posts like you guys did.

Texas Red

Whiner
dolio wrote: "I'd say what I'm going to do next, but it's been long enough since I played this game that I can't remember what there is to do next. I still need to find Vic, but he's not in his shack (I can't remember if he's supposed to be or not)."

Luckiest. Person. EVER. *sighs* To experience FO 2 as a new game.

Reed

Novice
So I started my character today. His name is Lemons because when I tried to think of a name someone on the TV yelled LEMONS!
I'll post some pictures and crap of my progress like everyone else, but I need someone to tell me how I can get the screenshots onto this page. I used FRAPS to capture them because pasting them into paint wouldn't work.[/img]

Texas Red

Whiner
Register at www.photobucket.com. There you can upload the pictures and under each picture there is a direct link which, when typed here, will automatically show the picture.

Reed

Novice
fallout22008-03-2414-27-04-13-1.jpg

So here's Lemons. Some might wonder why I tagged science, but thats for later if I manage to survive that long. I don't bother with lockpick because I can usually find some dynamite or grenades to blast a door down anyway.

fallout22008-03-2414-31-59-65.jpg

The spikes always miss :D

fallout22008-03-2414-58-07-61.jpg

After that I stole the money Marlis had in a pot (lol), did the rest of the quests in Arroyo and left.

fallout22008-03-2415-13-40-64.jpg

Fighting this dick was risky because I accidentally forgot to heal before I left the village.

fallout22008-03-2415-14-52-93.jpg

Luckily I got past him. Would have sucked for my Ironman to end so early.

fallout22008-03-2415-18-23-55.jpg

Aldo the town greeter has a molotov cocktail that I need to break down the door in Vic's place. This was risky because if I got caught it would be all over.

fallout22008-03-2415-18-28-28.jpg

Luckily for me Aldo was too hungover/drunk to notice.

fallout22008-03-2415-18-58-19.jpg

Now this was risky too because if the molotov didn't work I had no way of getting the pipe rifle inside.

fallout22008-03-2415-19-19-14.jpg

Luckily that worked too. If you want proof that I'm not cheating and reloading just look at the info box! lol

fallout22008-03-2415-27-08-63.jpg

Then went around collecting junk from around the town and then sold it for some leather armor and money.

fallout22008-03-2415-28-58-32.jpg

Finally have enough money to free Sulik!

fallout22008-03-2415-29-45-14.jpg

And right after that I leveled up (Twice cause I got the here and now perk as well.)

fallout22008-03-2415-32-57-98.jpg

helped Torr protect his Moo-moo's then decided to go and kill the Dunton's for the karma and loot.

That's as far as I'm going right now, I have other things to do, so I'll update this later.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
think i took a retard quite far the last time around. But in the end, the Enclave patrols just utterly killed him.

Reed

Novice
Yeah I doubt I'll ever be able to get even close to Navarro with the amount of encounters I'm getting so far lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom