Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Widescreen Torment.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Heh, never understood how poeple can use resolutions over 1024x768. It looks like you have to move the mouse halfway over the table to reach anything, and everything is so small that you can't appreciate the sprites properly.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
This post is primarily a whinge about Jasede's whinging. Secondly: screenshot looks beautiful.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Elwro said:
I mean, the screenshot looks great, but can you read the text at all?

Assuming his monitor's display screen is big enough, why shouldn't he be able to read it?...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jasede said:
Heh, never understood how poeple can use resolutions over 1024x768. It looks like you have to move the mouse halfway over the table to reach anything, and everything is so small that you can't appreciate the sprites properly.

that's because this very game was not designed with such large resolutions in mind at a time.
but today when textures are bigger - it's only on high resolutions is where you can see more detail. and you're wrong with the mouse. in the games where large resolutions are supported - the proportions of the objects and world are the same at any resolution - it's just that more pixels let you see more details at the very same proportion.

screenshot is awesome though. though I don't think such resolution fits PS:T.
however something like 1280 x 720 pretty much may do the trick.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Elwro said:
Well, OK. I'm used to small monitors.

Don't worry, so am I.

That screenshot made me realize that 2D RPGs will never get old... The artists truly poured their hearts and souls into their work.

MetalCraze

Arcane
VonVentrue said:
That screenshot made me realize that 2D RPGs will never get old... The artists truly poured their hearts and souls into their work.

me too. though I always considered PS:T to have the most original, outstanding and atmospheric 2d graphics amongst anything that uses rpg letters. well ToEE too somewhat...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You think ToEE has good graphics? Skyway, you should play Baldur's Gate 2. That's a truly beautiful 2D game, or the Icewind Dales!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jasede said:
You think ToEE has good graphics? Skyway, you should play Baldur's Gate 2. That's a truly beautiful 2D game, or the Icewind Dales!

Jasede... please... we both know I've played them.
I think ToEE graphics has something to them... even all those colorful places there. there's some darkish feeling to them. as well as details like slow falling leaves and butterflies. yeah I know IE games has pretty much of that too - but in ToEE it looked more "in place" or something.
BG has outstanding graphics too - I won't deny that. all those fountains and flower-beds, as well as colors affected by sunset etc. but I think I liked ToEE also because the color palette was less colorful - thus looked not so happy.

Deleted member 7219

Oh fuck that screenshot looks good.

Fuck it, I'm re-installing Torment. 1280x1024 here I come.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Jasede said:

i'd appreciate the 640x480 sprites stetched on a 20 inch flatpanel more? Do you not realise how bad that looks? with this mod/hack i can actually play and drool over the art now. If anything at this resolution i have to do MUCH less scrolling. Also try the mod out and show us how the game looks at "1024x768".

I mean, the screenshot looks great, but can you read the text at all?

Perfectly readable.

Spot on, i'm happy with this though as it matches my native resolution really well.

That looks pretty awful, why would you play PS:T like that?

What's wrong with it, other than it maybe looking a little blurry due to the compression.

golgotha

Liturgist
Nice. I've just gotten past Clerk's Ward and my only complaint of the game is the difficulty to navigate the towns without resorting to the map. The perspective when its that close seems to disorient me a bit. I'll try this out.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Damn, that looks great. People should note that it works for all the Infinity Engine games to some extent. I tried using that mod with Icewind Dale 2 a week ago, and it looked great, but unfortunately the game was unplayable for other reasons (wouldn't recognize the keyboard on my Vista laptop).

I'd assume that standard PS:T would look pretty, dare I say shite on most modern displays (e.g. just about every TFT format out there now). I know that standard BG looks like that on my new one, a 19". Given its native resolution of 1280x1024 pixels, that's got to be expected. Tutu's not for PS:T is it? So an overhaul might come in handy one day. Otherwise, well I haven't sold my seventeen inch CRT monsterweight quite yet. :D

Deleted member 7219

Well, I got it working fine in 1280x1024, though some of the text was a bit small and so were the menus. So I've reduced it to 1024x768, which is a pretty good compromise. I still get the pretty high-res graphics, and the menus aren't as tiny.

You definitely notice the difference... not so much indoors, but outside in The Hive the artwork is just fantastic, much more difficult to appreciate when its stretched across a 19" monitor at 640x480.

golgotha

Liturgist
Matt7895 said:
Well, I got it working fine in 1280x1024, though some of the text was a bit small and so were the menus. So I've reduced it to 1024x768, which is a pretty good compromise. I still get the pretty high-res graphics, and the menus aren't as tiny.

You definitely notice the difference... not so much indoors, but outside in The Hive the artwork is just fantastic, much more difficult to appreciate when its stretched across a 19" monitor at 640x480.
Indeed. Native resolution (1280x1024) is definitely too large on a 19" monitor unless you're six inches from the screen. The text wasn't a problem for me, as its still larger than you'd see in your web browser, but the inventory, menus and characters themselves seem too small overall. Moving to 1024x768 seems to be the best balance of resolution and function. Looks brilliant and makes you realize how beautiful the art in the game really is.

Krokar

Scholar
Fucking awesome! I have to try it as soon as possible so i wont have to play it like this anymore.

So did they solve those problems where the game crashed once you entered small places?

Deleted member 7219

I've been into Shilandra's house, Gathering Dust bar, and Angyar's house, and haven't had any problems at all.

golgotha

Liturgist
Krokar said:
Fucking awesome! I have to try it as soon as possible so i wont have to play it like this anymore.

So did they solve those problems where the game crashed once you entered small places?
Haven't had any crashes/issues thus far.

Nameless0ne

Novice
Woo hoo! no longer playing da game wid "black borders" on panel :) sweeet, i think it should look better at 1280x800, 1680 etc resolutions might stress the eyes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom