Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite inventory system in a game?

DarkSign

Erudite
Yes, the topic of "design your own best inventory system" has been done, but I'd like to see examples of inventory systems (with pictures please) that Codexers think work really well.

... show me whatcha got.

DraQ

Arcane
The best inventory system evar (TM) would have to factor in:

-items' weight
-items' shapes and sizes
-several separate inventory spaces of varying capacity, accessibility and concealability.

And it would be HEAVAN.

None has so far came close enough.

cardtrick

Arbiter
I hate inventory management. The simpler the better; and give me filters, please. Sorry - just not something I enjoy.

Balor

Arcane
Well, inventory system of Brigade E5 seems almost perfect for me. (Where you have to equip containers to get more storage space, and I don't mean stuff like in WoW - but real belts, gun holsters, etc)
Just needs more 'pockets' (or, better, have pockets come with clothes/armor your equip) and 'pouches' or something for 'tiny'-sized items, and that's about it.
Pic:
http://www.e5brigade.ru/image.php?id=64

errorcode

Liturgist
I've been happy with volume based inventories in the past. Dealing with the numerical juggling of weights is more hassle than the gameplay value you get out of it.

Inventory should be quick and easy to deal with, a non-entity when it comes to how it affects your gameplay. Like a good soundtrack it shouldn't be noticed on it's own, but feed seamlessly into the overall experience and only in hindsight should you go "Ya know, that was a pretty good inventory now that i think about it"

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
With regard to the actual system I tend to agree with DraQ, weight and size should both play a factor idealy, and seperate storage areas are a big plus. Ultima VII is quite a pretty solid example of my ideal system.

In terms of the actual inventory managment (GUI, sorting etc.), I think there'd be a lot to be learned from looking to file manager systems used by operating systems. Boring, I know, but it's a system that works and also a system you know most people will be familiar with (pc players at least). Some such elemets that could be transfered to an inventory system:
Changing views (list, icons, details)
Sort (by name, weight, value, time collected etc.)
Filters (weapons, armour etc.)
The ability to select multiple items (drag box, ctrl, shift)
Using storage bags like you'd use folders, with the ability to rename them (e.g. ingredients, weapons, loot, whatever).

Virtz

Educated
Balor said:
Well, inventory system of Brigade E5 seems almost perfect for me. (Where you have to equip containers to get more storage space, and I don't mean stuff like in WoW - but real belts, gun holsters, etc)
Just needs more 'pockets' (or, better, have pockets come with clothes/armor your equip) and 'pouches' or something for 'tiny'-sized items, and that's about it.
Pic:
Agree here. Best inventory system I've seen thus far (as far as realism goes, anyway). Just questionable if this would be sensible with some smaller items (that take little to no space) compared to the things you carry in BE5.
Besides what Balor mentioned, this inventory system also took both weight and space into account and featured over-encumberence that slowed you down and tired you (rather than stopped you a la Oblivion or didn't let you carry any more a la Ultima VII).

Kind of a shame the combat system wasn't as good. Would've been ideal with Silent Storm like TBC.

Zomg

Arbiter
I prefer zero inventory management with lots of quality-of-life stuff in the UI like segregated interfaces for different categories of items (e.g. a game with alchemy can have a specific "alchemy pocket" inventory set aside). However, it's fine and good to de-abstract encumbrance for actual equipment, like worn things and worn inventory, and make the abstract inventory only accessible in limited circumstances.

Sarvis

Erudite
Final Fantasy games. Unlimited carrying, auto-sorting, no stupid dicking around instead of actually playing the game.

If you absolutely MUST have inventory management, try to fucking think sensibly about it. A shirt does not take up as much room as a full suit of platemail. It can be <i>folded</i>. Same thing for a sheet of paper and other tiny, foldable crap. Further, even platemail shouldn't take up as much room as it does: It's fucking HOLLOW, I can put things <i>inside of it</i>.

Oh, and if you're going to give the player some kind of equipment carrying companion try to make it not die every time something looks at it funny.

/playing too much Two Worlds lately

Lesifoere

Liturgist
cardtrick said:
I hate inventory management. The simpler the better; and give me filters, please. Sorry - just not something I enjoy.

Amen. There're few things I hate as much as inventory items with different shapes and such. I'm trying to have fun here, not trying to make sure I'll have enough room--in this exact 2*4 shape--for the next item I pick up.

Morbus

Scholar
I vote for hidden & Dangerous 2 but I haven't played every game out there...

fastpunk

Arbiter
I'm not too pretentious when it comes to inventories. As long as it's not a pain in the ass I don't really care. I'd say Neverwinter Nights had a very good inventory. Items were represented clearly, they occupied a certain number of squares depending on their size, you had tabs to organize your stuff better plus dragging and dropping items didn't feel jerky, it felt just right. I'm sure there are more creative inventory systems out there but NWN's came to my mind first as a good example.

NiM82

Prophet
I quite like Witchers 'realistic' system for dealing how many weapons you can carry (based on specific carrying slots for weapons). Not as keen on it's backpack for general items though, would prefer a list that could be filtered (with a descriptor at the side) to make finding stuff less hastle, hovering over tiny icons is annoying (as anyone who played MW will attest).

I guess though the ideal inventory depends on the game, at the end of the day. What you'd want in a game with just a few item (like VtMB or Deus Ex) is quite different to what you'd want in say Morrowind where you needed to collect a few million unique items.

Weight based systems (with lists/filters) would be my general preference tho, if I wanted to play fit the pieces I'd play tetris..

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Hm, after some thinking about this I discovered that for every inventory system I remember there's something I dislike about it. Anyway, the biggest disadvantage of a system for me is when I can't have more items because there's an unjustified hard limit, usually in form of "each PC has 20 squares to fill and no more". I also don't like to manually sort items.

bezimek

Scholar
Virtz said:
Balor said:
Pic:
Agree here. Best inventory system I've seen thus far (as far as realism goes, anyway). Just questionable if this would be sensible with some smaller items (that take little to no space) compared to the things you carry in BE5.
Besides what Balor mentioned, this inventory system also took both weight and space into account and featured over-encumberence that slowed you down and tired you (rather than stopped you a la Oblivion or didn't let you carry any more a la Ultima VII).

Kind of a shame the combat system wasn't as good. Would've been ideal with Silent Storm like TBC.

Yes Brigade E5 have very good inventory system (somehow base on Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 systems).

Pegultagol

Erudite
I am quite happy with the current state of NWN2 inventory system. Any inventory system that also allows some customizations so as to enable automation and streamlined interface will be ideal. Generally less restriction (space or weight) there is, the better, in my opinion.

Mayday

Augur
Ultima VII (and VIII)- it only lacked clear auto-sorting of the stuff in your backpack.
Apart from that, it had it all:
-size
-weight
-no squares to manage (just weight)
-you could use bags to sort your stuff (would be nice if you could have coloured bags tho, so that you know at a glance which is which).

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
@Jasede about Arcanum: Except it allowed for hilarious exploits, like fitting that whole plate armour under one "quick use" button so it disappeared from the main inventory window and yet was still available.

Nutcracker

Scholar
Lesifoere said:
Amen. There're few things I hate as much as inventory items with different shapes and such. I'm trying to have fun here, not trying to make sure I'll have enough room--in this exact 2*4 shape--for the next item I pick up.

It's well known the female mind struggles with problems that require spatial manipulation.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Nutcracker said:
Lesifoere said:

It's well known the female mind struggles with problems that require spatial manipulation.

Oh. You have a very small penis, I take it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Elwro said:
@Jasede about Arcanum: Except it allowed for hilarious exploits, like fitting that whole plate armour under one "quick use" button so it disappeared from the main inventory window and yet was still available.

Dag nab it!

Baldur's Gate and Arcanum. A nice balance in both between convenience and complications seeing as each factored in a limited amount of space and a limited amount of weight. I might have to worry about my inventory occasionally, but not enough to piss me off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom