Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Hiveminds final verdict on The Witcher.

Grade it motherfucker

• 5. A fucking modern classic. Be there or be square, and so on and so forth.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 4. Very good. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Good/Decent. If you enjoy RPGs you'll probably get some fun out of this one.

• 2. Meh.

• 1. Crap.

• 0. It's your avarage RPG of the new millenia.

• Total voters

MountainWest

Scholar
EDIT: With 10 votes we have a 4.0 avarage. Not bad.

Some days have passed. The joy of playing a game that didn't treat you like an idiot is vaning off. The reality is kicking in. So: is The Witcher really a masterpiece or is it just a step in the right direction. Or is it perhaps even bad?

I've got the impression that people loved it at first but as time went on they started to, not think it was bad, but perhaps not as good as their first impression.

Personally I got a lot of problems with it, but at the same time I think it takes the genre - the action RPG one - a lot of small steps in the right direction. There's way to many fetch&kill-quests, but there's a lot of of quests that span several hours of playing. The loading times are a killer, but the areas are bigger than say in NWN2. The choices have two options at most, but they have consequences and some of them actually makes you stop and think. The combat quickly becomes nothing more than a timed click-fest, but especially during chapter one, when you're not overpowered, you can see that it holds a lot of potential for a sequel. You get way too many skillpoints, but there's a shitload of skills to distribute them on. The wilderness maps aren't very fun, but Vizima is very well made. The dialogue is refreshingly non-PG 13, but a lot seem to have been lost in translation. And so on and so forth.

I'll grade it 3. It could've been a four but then I think I'd be grading it in the light of the other true crap-fests infesting the market.

Fake edit: I'll probably screw up the poll.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Very good, I'd recommend it to anyone just to explore Vizima. However like most have said here, dialogues in the english translation are a little iffy. I wonder if the original script could be modded in.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
gave it a four, even though i got a really severe case of botched up dialogs, voice-overs, a quest stopping bug, and a crash in the middle of act 3, and really don't feel like playing for a while... at least not until the next patch or the toolkit.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Gave it a 4. Apart from the long loading times and some wierd dialogue this game is great for me. I really like the setting, the feel of the world and the gameplay. Combat retains its challenge on hard and . The fetch quests (like the ones you find on the notice board) are fun for me. Then again I enjoy exploring every nook and cranny. The game really shines in it's plot and the diverse ways your decisions play out.

It has it's lesser moments. Like mentioned the long loading times can be annoying, especially when you're entering and leaving houses regulary. The dialogues sometimes can be great, but other times they can be a disjointed mess. It also feels a bit rough with a number of the cutscenes. Then again, some are great (like the end of chapter 1) and especially the comic style ones have a nice style.

Still, overall it's one of the most fun to play games I've seen in ages. It has me absolutely hooked, and it's big. After two weeks (and one restart) I'm only at the start of chapter 3.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Aside from chapter 4 being a borefest, the Witcher shines in most of its moment, except for loading times heheh.

Troll

Scholar
blast it, i'm following the trend - i gave it a 4 too. not perfect, but the best rpg i played in the last 4 years ( didn't play motb yet as i don't have the strength to go through the gruesome original campaign but i will... one of these days).

Haven't played too much not too much time, i'm in the first chapter playing on hard... wished there was a higher difficulty level at times. i actually like the loading times - they prevent me from getting too cought up in the game, realise it's 9 am and i'm supposed to be at work; and also give me the chance to get something to eat/ read a book/ whatever.

oh yeah, i'm playing on an athlon xp 2600+ 1 GB ram, GeForce7800GS @ 1024*768 with low details and it moves good once the loading is done. on medium it hangs up quite often

caliban

Scholar
Hrmm. Tough decision. If you have 2GB RAM or more and happen to be Polish (or at least able to read Polish) it's worth a 5.
Otherwise 4.

Deleted member 7219

Big, interesting and arty environments (think Gothic 3), long quests (and I mean really long), meaningful choices, what you say in dialogue could offend someone or make them like you, the lore and journal system is simply fantastic, really interesting. And the combat is good too, definitely the best real-time combat I've seen in an RPG.

The visuals are fantastic, it really runs well at maximum settings, 1280x1024 on my system with no lag at all.

I'm still near the start of Chapter Three and I've been playing almost non-stop since last Wednesday. There's so much to do.

Only negatives I can think of would be long loading times and the occasional CTD.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
For the 1000th time, you don't need to play the NWN2 OC in order to play MotB. The stories are connected only by the most vague plot contrivances, and the companions you spend 40 hours with in the OC are barely mentioned at all in MotB. It is obvious Obsidian only ported the OC's hero over to MotB so that it could be an Epic levels adventure and sell more to the Biokids.

Play MotB now. Enjoy it. Live life. Don't put off a good game just because you think you'll get more out of it if you play the OC! In fact, you'll probably enjoy MotB even more, as the few references made to the OC will seem more profounnd and mysterious since you didn't actually play through the Orc caves. :D

Troll

Scholar
aweigh, i know about motb not requiring the original, i am a perfectionist by default so i wanted to have a char that worked his way up to lvl 18 rather than have it built just to play the add-on.

also i currently see NWN 2 as living through a shitty life (OC) to reach paradise afterwards ( MOTB) though i clearly exagerrate and also don't belive in afterlife or feel i live a shitty life

the thing on motb was a sidenote, i was merely pinpointing that i haven't tried one of the games that produced a lot of discussions on this forum... so let's not change the subject - we're talking about the witcher here

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm having too much fun to call it merely decent but the translation in its current state definitely prevents it from becoming a classic, so 4. I haven't finished the game yet so there is there possibility of my experience suddenly turning sour, I suppose.

cardtrick

Arbiter
I voted 4 . . . although I do think there are ways in which I think it could be called a classic. I almost feel like The Witcher might be in a new subgenre of RPGs. It's really not similar to much except for Gothic, and it's far better than that. On the one hand, it's an action RPG, but on the other hand the great setting, choices and consequences, alchemy and journal systems, relatively low amount of combat, and the focus on knowledge rather than loot are all great, innovative, and worth emulating. The dialog and loadtimes are significant problems, though, and they (along with a variety of other, more minor, issues) dragged down the score.

Starwars

Arcane
A 3 for me. Main things I really like is how the developers brought the setting to life. It's simply masterfully done. A true treat to explore this game, and absolutely the main thing that makes the game tick for me.

However, the English dialogues/writing, quests and loading times really bring this game down for me. There seems to be a LOT of content, but there is only a small portion of it that I've actually found truly enjoyable.

I still consider this game a success overall though. What's great is that the game really feels unique, and it's probably the action-RPG that I've enjoyed the most.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
cardtrick said:
I voted 4 . . . although I do think there are ways in which I think it could be called a classic. I almost feel like The Witcher might be in a new subgenre of RPGs. It's really not similar to much except for Gothic, and it's far better than that.

Heresy.

Hory

Erudite
witcherdp6.jpg

Deleted member 7219

No game has created this much positive feedback on the Codex before. At least, not in the couple of years I've been here (as a member, and lurking before that).

2007 is definitely the year of the triumphant return of the old-style RPG. Mask of the Betrayer and The Witcher both in the same month.

Ausir

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
No game has created this much positive feedback on the Codex before. At least, not in the couple of years I've been here (as a member, and lurking before that).

2007 is definitely the year of the triumphant return of the old-style RPG. Mask of the Betrayer and The Witcher both in the same month.

I wouldn't exactly call The Witcher an old-style RPG. It's more of a mix of an action-RPG, an old-style RPG and an old-style adventure game.

Darkflame

Scholar
I voted 5. I'm not gonna subtract points just cuz my specs are low (i.e. waitingtimes), or the translation wasn't great (Atari). The developers of this game had the balls to break the current trend of dumbing-down games for the masses and deserve alot of praise for it.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Matt7895 said:

That's at least partly because it's more controversial than most. Mask of the Betrayer is a better game, but there's less to say about it, I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom