Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another Mask of the Betrayer thread!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
What an awesome game it is! A worthy (and only) successor to PST. I was looking forward to NWN2, but couldn't finish it and had to force myself to play to what I think was almost the end. MotB is the opposite. I absolutely love it and can't stop playing it.

Lately I couldn't enjoy games as much as used to 5-10 years ago. I blamed it on growing up and stress at work, but suspected (or hoped) that it's because recent games sucked. Turned out my suspicions were correct. MotB is an old school, an early Black Isle game. Whoever made this game is my new hero.

So if anyone is still thinking about it, being disappointed with NWN2, buy it today. It's one of the best RPGs of the last 10 years, and quite possibly a top 10 game. I only wish the original game was as good.

PS. I would have made a longer and more thoughtful post, but I must get back to playing. The game is THAT good. A raving review is a-coming.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, VD, but please make this old (21, hah) deviant happy and tell him you're not-

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I also thought VD was being sarcastic since he posted out-of-character from his e-persona, but I think now he's being honest.

Or perhaps his neighbor got on his account and posted like what happened with GoldLeader and the Cat Quest. :cool:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Maybe VD's wife is playing a prank on us. Being married with him must change your character after some years, and maybe she sometimes reads the forums and would know how to fool us- by luring us with an enticing but ultimately disappointing game.

Starwars

Arcane
Either VD is playing with us, or his new-born (congratulations btw) is making him soft. :P

Lumpy

Arcane
Cock shit bitch fucking shit, Mask of the Betrayer sucks balls it's made after 1963 and it's not as good as PST. [/stereotypical codexer]

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
So i played this game through the first dungeon. It shows a clear sign of a true hardcore RPG - it fucking crashes when i try to move to the second area :lol:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Nope. No sarcasm. It's a great game. Remember this rant? Well, MotB invokes similar emotions. It's not a stereotypical game. It's really *interesting* to play it.

Is this battered RPG fan syndrome? I just don't believe any of this is "real". You sure it isn't just a KOTOR-style of illusory choices? Anybody willing to enlighten my philistine mind with some examples, please?

Morbus

Scholar
fastpunk said:
Vault Dweller said:
I absolutely love it and can't stop playing it.

:shock: :o ... now I'm really looking forward to that review ...
Now I'm really looking forward to buying the freaking game... and playing it.

[Jez]

Novice
Any game that allows you to kill a god and use its dead husk to construct a minion full of condemned souls will always have a place in my heart

Durwyn

Prophet
Fuck... NWN 2 Expansion just scored a nice wet blowjob from codex... this is just so bizzare. I just must try it myself to believe. I stoped somwhere in ACT 2 in vanilla NWN2... Will I lose much if I start playing MotB, without finishing pure Nwn 2?

Starwars

Arcane
Durwyn, if you don't feel like finishing it, you can still enjoy the story in MotB. Maybe just reading up on the key events in the NWN2 OC would be a good idea though.

And I agree that One-of-Many is a great idea. While I wish there was more backstory to the, erm, "personalities", I really enjoyed this companion. It was a fun companion to my evil character at least. :p
There's also a great moment towards the end of Act 2 if you bring him along.

Texas Red

Whiner
Though NWN 2 has lots of pointless hack-n-slash, I still say its worthy of playing. Dont just get MotB because the Codex says the expansion is great while the original is crap. Dont be a lemming like the morons on Gamespot who are dependent on the scores of the reviewers. Hell, I dislike the orc caves as much as the next guy but there is a reason why the original is one of my most played games.

Starwars

Arcane
Of course people should give the OC a chance of their own, especially if they feel inspired to get MotB (and thus have to get NWN2). But I do think it's fair to say that, if you haven't started enjoying the game a while into Act 2 (which I feel is the best Act), then you prolly won't enjoy the rest of it either.

Personally I don't think NWN2 ever had the makings of a classic in it, but man I really feel it could've been much better if it had been more compressed and focus. There's so much rubbish (especially in Act 1) that could've just been cut away. Especially chasing after access to the Blacklake district feels so contrived.

Durwyn

Prophet
Though NWN 2 has lots of pointless hack-n-slash, I still say its worthy of playing. Dont just get MotB because the Codex says the expansion is great while the original is crap. Dont be a lemming like the morons on Gamespot who are dependent on the scores of the reviewers. Hell, I dislike the orc caves as much as the next guy but there is a reason why the original is one of my most played games.
I Actually do like original NWN2... ACT 1 is utterly h&s but playable... I really liked the whole court thing... Orc caves were a fucking joke... I was really pleased when i found out that i can pass all the lizardfolk caves with pure diplomacy... I think that i'll finish OC before trying out MotB...

roshan

Arcane
MOTB isnt that great of a game... The combat is ridiculously easy, except for about 5 or so battles at the beginning, and you are still forced to autoresurrect after battle. Like other NWN/KOTOR games, you still cant enter most houses, and you cant attack whoever you want. Also, sometimes the game does not react to your actions well enough. The way I see it, MOTB is leagues better than any modern Bioware/Obsidian RPG, but certainly isnt old school.

Bossman

Educated
Vault Dweller said:
What an awesome game it is! A worthy (and only) successor to PST. I was looking forward to NWN2, but couldn't finish it and had to force myself to play to what I think was almost the end. MotB is the opposite. I absolutely love it and can't stop playing it.

Lately I couldn't enjoy games as much as used to 5-10 years ago. I blamed it on growing up and stress at work, but suspected (or hoped) that it's because recent games sucked. Turned out my suspicions were correct. MotB is an old school, an early Black Isle game. Whoever made this game is my new hero.

So if anyone is still thinking about it, being disappointed with NWN2, buy it today. It's one of the best RPGs of the last 10 years, and quite possibly a top 10 game. I only wish the original game was as good.

PS. I would have made a longer and more thoughtful post, but I must get back to playing. The game is THAT good. A raving review is a-coming.

Well, here's something you don't see every day. Glad you enjoy the game VD, can't wait to hear your thoughts about it :)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
roshan said:
MOTB isnt that great of a game... The combat is ridiculously easy, except for about 5 or so battles at the beginning, and you are still forced to autoresurrect after battle. Like other NWN/KOTOR games, you still cant enter most houses, and you cant attack whoever you want. Also, sometimes the game does not react to your actions well enough. The way I see it, MOTB is leagues better than any modern Bioware/Obsidian RPG, but certainly isnt old school.

None of the things you mentioned, except for the "react to your actions well enough" part, are necessarily required in a CRPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom