Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence in PC Gamer UK (again)

So this is gonna sound really similar to a topic I made some months ago, nothing particularly exciting but heres the news anyway...

I don't know if this has been mentioned or anything yet but theres a small bit of talk about the game and a tiny screenshot in the latest PCG UK magazine (October).
It's in the 'This is hardcore' section where they talk about everything thats happening lately in all genres and is mentioned right after Fallout 3 where they manage to get in a few jabs at NMA and fallout fans.
I don't have a scanner, maybe someone else will be able to get the page up but this is what it all says:

'Some disgruntled forum inhabitants at www.nma-fallout.com have been wallowing in their own misery since finding out details of Bethesda's plans for Fallout 3. They're moaning about not being able to kill children and whether drinking from toilet bowls should be a feature. The subtext seems to be that because Fallout 3 doesn't look like the first two games then it is somehow evil. Here's an example of the posts on the forums.
"If half of the previers had any Fallout experience, we would've seen the occasional negative preview. As it stands, there isn't one. Not one from anyone that was there to witness the demo." Speaking as someone with plenty of Fallout experience, I loved what I saw. No conspiracy: a great demo of a promising RPG.
Fortunately for anyone who's determined that RPGs must not progress into first-person 3D, there are still games like Age of Decadence (pictured). It's post-apoclauptic, it eschews magic and it's indie. It's a game predicated on social interactions, cause and effect and plenty of dialogue options; it's pretty low-tech, but has plenty of features, such as the action-point based combat, that old school roleplayers will probably find comfortingly familiar. Try www.irontowerstudio.com for more.'

It's written by the editor, Ross Atherton. Did they ever even get in contact about AoD since last time?

Helton

Arcane
They're moaning about not being able to kill children
Loaded.
and whether drinking from toilet bowls should be a feature.
Misleading.

Have some bloody professionalism random magazine guy!

But any publicity is good publicity, right? He doesn't dis AoD either. So it's cool.

Thankies!

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
I did think about writing a small preview to submit to a gaming magazine, as they do sometime print up such articles submitted to them. Then I remembered just how little writing talent I have and rethought the plans. I might go ahead and do it anyway, just to see how rubbish it turns out.

Jora

Arcane
Magazines don't have any reason not to publish reader submissions if the quality is good.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
BUMBUMBOOMBOOM said:
"If half of the previers had any Fallout experience, we would've seen the occasional negative preview. As it stands, there isn't one. Not one from anyone that was there to witness the demo."

I can't find this post.

EDIT: wait, found it. Why is it that people always quote posts from people with less than 6 months posting time and under 100 posts to represent NMA? Anyway, here's the full post:

I don't think so, Jeff. While you may have taken the extra step in actually coming here and reading what we have to say, you still managed to use the same, ignorant stereotype that SA goons try their damnedest to perpetuate. All it takes is a few comments like that from yourself and others in your position to convince the masses of a false and unfair generalization.

We're largely negative not because we think Fallout 3 is going to be a bad game, but because we think it's going to be a bad Fallout game. Correction: fucking terrible Fallout game. This is our gripe. If half of the previewers had any Fallout experience, we would've seen the occasional negative review. As it stands, there isn't one. Not one from anyone that was there to witness the demo.

Not that I disagree with this post, but it's funny how PC Gamer ignored the first half, and shoots off the same stereotypes.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yet another fine example of a 'professional journalist' who allowed himself to be so easily bribed with T-Shirts and bobbleheads.

NiM82

Prophet
NMA bashing seems to be the in thing lately.. has a memo been sent out? These hacks can't all be goons, can they?
Fortunately for anyone who's determined that RPGs must not progress into first-person 3D, there are still games like Age of Decadence (pictured)
Why does he lie and imply that everyone's going first person, bar indies? - NWN2, WoW, MotB , Dragon Age, Witcher, all slip his mind?

PC Lamer lives up to it's name yet again. :roll:

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Sovy Kurosei said:
it's pretty low-tech, but has plenty of features, such as the action-point based combat

Eh? Why can't he just say that it is turnbased?

Haven't You heard? the combat in Fallout:P.o.S.2 is turn-based, I have read it countless times already.

Avu

Liturgist
It's simple. Because if it's action point based they can say the combat in FO3 is the same as in the previous two. If they call it turn based they can't. It's marketing. God I hate liars. I think they punished lying in the past now they pay people to lie. Failure of the free market? :roll:

Jora

Arcane
He probably got the term from VD who has more than once mentioned the AP-based combat as a feature in the AoD interviews and articles.

Helton

Arcane
Sovy Kurosei said:
Is it? Fallout 3 is going to use action points too yet the combat in AoD and FO3 differ wildly.

I suppose. Likewise, not all turn-based games use action-points.

The point of the quoted portion seems to be "If you're one of these grumpy asshats who aren't looking forward to Fallout 3: there's always AoD."

So, by context, one can infer that AoD and Fallout 3 are dissimilar. "Action-point based" sets it apart from DnD and... Well Chess I guess.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Speaking as someone with plenty of Fallout experience, I loved what I saw. No conspiracy: a great demo of a promising RPG.

Bethesda was fucked recently, NMA really insulted Todd's self-esteem and he must now get his ass out of the fire, so it's double amount of blowjob for every journalist that sooo much starves for it.

denizsi

Arcane
You gotta corner one of these professhunahs and force him to say what he liked except for graphical level, and how what he says relates to original series, with coherent comparisons.

aries202

Erudite
Apart from the positive review of Age of Decadence, I agree that PCG UK has misunderstood some Fallout's fans skepticism and
worrying about this Fallot 3 that Bethesda is making.

I agree that some of what Bethsoft's Fallout 3 seem to be seem to be good, like the c&c in dialogues, and the hitting your enimies being dependant on your skills with the weapons.

However, this is not what worries me and other fallout fans. It is the fatman, the look of the supermutants, the toilet drinking (or rather the drinking of water to heal yourself), the megaton city, built around an unexploded nuclear bomb, and many other small things that breaks verisimilitude...

As for the conclusion in the PCG article, that seems about right :)

The_Pope

Scholar
It's pretty funny that the tabloid dropouts can bitch about the lack of innovashun then turn around and call anyone who doesn't want a unique series turned into a generic bloom filled console FPS a luddite.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom