Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King of Dragon Pass reviewed

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
King of Dragon Pass. A wonderful game. A unique game. So unique that it's hard to put it in a genre. There is no other game like it. If any game could be called innovative, this is it. And the graphics are wonderful, too. More beautiful than Oblivion could ever wish to be. So, why is it that this game is so unique and unlike anything else? Well, you'll see.

StartingScreen.jpg

This is the starting screen. A nice hint on the graphics of the game, already. And some wonderful music playing there. The music will be wonderful throughout the game, and really set the mood. It changes in every season and during some special events, of which there are plenty. Well, so let's start a new game, shall we?

ClanCreation1.jpg

Now we'll have to create our clan. The clan creation process is very interesting and nicely made. It's made up like a story about the old times when the gods walked together with man on the earth, and you gotta choose your clan's decisions it made back then. This will determine things like who your main deity is, what race is your arch enemy, and so on.

ClanCreation2.jpg

Those decisions are made by getting questions like this and having to choose one of the answers, much like character creation in ADOM or Elder Scrolls. The effects of the answer you choose are obvious, of course, and determine some basic things of your clan, as I said. Also, before each decision appears a picture depicting the scene, which is painted in a bit blurry and mystical way to show its mythical character.

ClanCreation3.jpg

There are several decisions to be made, and after that you'll be presented with a screen showing you what your clan is like.

ClanCreation4.jpg

Here you see the overview of what your clan has done. Especially the choice of accepting the strangers as Thralls is an important one, as it determines if you can have slaves or not. Take them as Thralls, you can have slaves; adopt them as family, you can't. Clicking on any of those decisions lets you change them again. Then you finally type in a name for your clan and choose a difficulty and the game length, where in a short game you must only be the king of a small clan alliance for a few years, and in a long game you must become king of whole Dragon Pass. So, let's start!

NewYearScreen.jpg

Now we're greeted by the new year screen, as I call it. You'll see this screen at the beginning of every year. While now it doesn't show any real information, later it will be quite important as it shows you the important facts of your clan economy and development.

NewYearScreen2.jpg

Basically, you see how many more people, goods and animals you clan has gained. Cattle is the most important resource in the game, as it is used for sacrifices and as a kind of money, and if you're low on food it can provide you with meat.

populationscreen.jpg

Now, after continuing from the New Year screen, you can allocate your clan magic to certain things like farming or hunting, which makes those more successful. Then you'll be greeted by the population screen, showing you info about your population. You can also assign people to different professions here, like hunters and crafters, you can hold a feast or give gifts to your farmers or weaponthanes. Feasting and giving gifts increases the happiness of your population and your reputation among them. At the top of the screen you can select the different screens and skip the current turn by clicking on the sunwheel between the date. At the bottom you see your council. You can change the councilmen by reorganizing your clan. The councilmen will give you info, tell you their opinion or give you hints on what to do. Those hints aren't always the right thing to do, though, they just reflect their opinion. To hear their opinion, just click on their portrait any time. Now, let's look on the other screens.

WarScreen.jpg

That's the screen where you manage war things. You can build fortifications, train your people to be weaponthanes, assign your weaponthanes to patrol your lands and make raids against other clans. Raids will make you lead a war party and have the possibility of killing as many of them as possible, taking prisoners or just skirmish. Cattle raids will send a small group of soldiers to capture some cattle. So, let us make a raid on the Konthasos clan with whom we have a feud...

Raid1.jpg

On this screen you can choose the clan which you want to assault and how many soldiers you want to send. Let's attack the Konthasos clan, then!

Raid2.jpg

This screen appears after attacking a clan [or after being attacked by someone], and you can choose the basic tactics, the goal of your warriors and how much magic to use during the fight. After choosing all of that, the battle results are calculated.

Raid3.jpg

Sometimes, though, something special happens and one of your leaders has to react to it. You can choose how he should react to the threat. There is no best choice in those situations, but I usually let him lead the soldiers to victory [then a description how he collects some warriors and leads them into the fight shows] or let him fight hard [which shows a description of how he fights]. Either he's successful, and beats the enemies, or fails, and either has to retreat or might even die. Once I won a battle but my hero was still slain, which was a sad moment. Well, in the end I won this battle and took a few prisoners who now serve as my thralls.

TradingScreen.jpg

Now we shall look at the trade screen. The black lines connecting our clan name with others shows that we have a trade agreement with them and constantly trade goods with them, which gives us a profit of a few goods each year. You can also send one of your nobles to trade with some clan [give them some goods in exchange of other goods] or to start a trade agreement with them.

DiplomacyScreen.jpg

Here you can see the diplomacy screen, where you can send one of your nobles to make an alliance with one of the other clans, and also select to see only those clans with which you have a certain relation, or all clans.

FarmingScreen.jpg

Here you see the Farming Screen, showing how much food you're expected to harvest till next year, and how much land you have assigned to farming, cattle and wilderness. You can also set how much of which kind of crops you plant, while some give more food than others but are less reliable to grow well. Farming land is needed to plant crops, pasture for feeding your cows and sheep, and wilderness to feed your swine and let your hunters hunt some game.

ReligionScreen.jpg

Here's the Religion Screen, where you can sacrifice cows and goods and even slaves to your gods to either get a bonus or to learn new secrets [new blessings that you can choose when building a temple, or a new legend], build temples to get permanent blessings [requiring yearly sacrifices] or go on a heroquest, which I will talk about later.

ExplorationScreen.jpg

Here you can see the Exploration Screen, where you can basically send a small adventuring party to explore the lands. I'll talk about exploration more in depth later on, but first let's look at the...

SagaScreen.jpg

...Saga Screen! Here you can see the different sagas that you know, and those with a small circle besides them mean that you know their details. Knowing the details of a Saga iis required to go on a heroquest. But more on that later.

SwordStory.jpg

This is one of the Sagas we know in detail, the Sword Story. You can see a pic showing a scene from the Saga, and you can read through the whole saga. Not every saga has a heroquest associated with it, but if you want to go on such a quest you should read the saga that it's about before going on the quest. It is important to know the details of what the gods did on that quest, so your hero can do the same and succeed.

ClanHistory.jpg

Now here's the Clan History. On that screen you see what your clan has done and what the prophets have said for the coming year. Not much to see here yet, as we've just started the game. Let's go exploring, then.

Exploration1.jpg

Now we're going to assign a small adventuring group to explore our own Tula, and guess what they found? Yay, some Ivory which we can use to craft things out of! Those goods we can use for trading, then. Nice find!
Let's go on exploration in our Tula again, shall we?

Event2.jpg

Now our explorers have found a rock where a spirit resides in! I chose to give it annual sacrifices, and the spirit promised to aid me with his blessings in return. The spirit stone will appear in your shrine list from now on. Well, let's go on then... but wait, something is happening now!

Event1.jpg

And now we're talking about the real thing. The core feature of the game. Random [or not-so-random] events! Here's some warriors of the god Humakt wanting some help from us. We can get the advice of our councilmen by clicking on their portraits at the bottom, but the one councilman who is specialized on the nature of the event [in this case war] always gives us advice automatically. The blue choices are the ones that he would suggest, while the others might also be good choices. Usually you should help priests or warriors who visit you, as it raises your reputation with the god they worship, and you can get a reward, even, like your warriors bringing back some loot with them.

Event3.jpg

Another event, now some priestesses of Uralda offering to make a ritual for us.

Event4.jpg

And another one, this time a bit more severe and where the choice is more important. Choosing a divination is almost always a good idea, as your ancestors saw who did it. I conducted a divination, and was told that people of our enemy clan did it! Then I chose to raid them as a punishment, and my people were happy that we punished them. Yay!

Event5.jpg

Another exploration event after exploring my Tula. I conducted a divination again, and my ancestors told me that the spirits in there are benevolent and I should send for some shamans to raise them. The shamans want a few cows as payment, and then they raised the spirits, and they promised to help me.

Now for the other unique and interesting feature of the game: Heroquests. I'll load a savegame of my other clan here, because our new clan doesn't know a lot of sagas yet.

Heroquest1.jpg

Let's start the Quest "Ernalda feeds the tribe". Jenesta is the best of my nobles for this quest, so I'll take her. Every noble has different attributes like Strength and Wisdom, and also different wisdom in different skills like farming or war. So, let's send her on the quest!

Heroquest2.jpg

Now we can choose what benefit the quest shall bring. Cows important, so I'll let her raise their health. Always keep in mind though that your hero may die during her quest.

Heroquest3.jpg

Now the quest has started. Our hero will encounter different situations. The best way to react to those situations can be read in the sagas. The best way here would be to just suffer Daga's blows and survive them without mourning.

Heroquest4.jpg

So, she survived, which is good. I had heroes die at that point already. This is where the stats come into play. Heroes with good stats have higher chances to survive than those with low ones, obviously. So, not only choosing the right action but also the strength of your hero is needed to get successfully through a heroquest. I'll just show the whole quest in screenshots, but without the solutions, as this would be kinda spoilery, and the solutions don't always work.

Heroquest5.jpg

I managed to convince the elves to give me the seed, but if your hero isn't good enough in diplomacy she can't convince them and you must offer them a gift, which is taken from your clan then. In this case it's magic, but later it can even be the lives of a few of your tribe.

Heroquest7.jpg

Heroquest9.jpg

Heroquest10.jpg

Heroquest12.jpg

So, she's made it successfully through the Quest! This not only gives the reward, but also happiness among the people over the successful heroquest.

Heroquests are usually quite diverse and very intersting, and some have multiple solutions to them.

So, well, that's it. Most of the game's fun lies in the heroquests and especially in the events, which can lead to almost everything. I played the game for quite a long time already, and there's still a lot of stuff that I've never encountered before. Exploration also brings up a LOT of interesting situations, so explore much! Also, the choices you make in events als ohave their consequences which can be quite long-term. Once a warrior wanted to be taken into my clan, and I accepted. Later someone else came and wanted to challenge my guest to a fight, but he didn't tell me the reason. My guest wouldn't tell, either. So I refused and sent the guy back home. Later someone in my clan was killed, and through a divination I saw that it was the guy who wanted to fight my guest! Choice and Consequence en masse in this game, and lots of different events that are just fun. This is one of the most innovative games ever made in my opinion, and its unique gameplay grants fun for many months, especially since the events with their choices and consequences get deeper and more involved the longer you play.

Conclusion? Go and get this game. You can torrent it without guilt, as it isn't really sold anymore. You can also buy it off ebay. The company who made it still exists, but they don't seem to sell it anymore. Maybe you can try emailing them, and then they sent you a CD with the game on it, but don't count on it. Just get the game somehow, it's fucking great and refreshingly different, so it would be a shame if you didn't play it.

Starwars

Arcane
Thanks for the write-up, I have this game lying around on my harddrive. Just haven't installed it since, well, haven't really felt like it. Looks good though.

How big is the scope for the choices & consequences? You mention that it's a good idea to help out the people who come to visit you. What happens if you refuse, or if you're downright rude to them? Does this open up new stuff, or is it just generally a bad option to choose?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Starwars said:
Thanks for the write-up, I have this game lying around on my harddrive. Just haven't installed it since, well, haven't really felt like it. Looks good though.

How big is the scope for the choices & consequences? You mention that it's a good idea to help out the people who come to visit you. What happens if you refuse, or if you're downright rude to them? Does this open up new stuff, or is it just generally a bad option to choose?

Depends on the people. You should always help priests if possible, as refusing some priests makes your population upset. Sometimes it can be a good option though, and just makes people not appear again, or lowers your reputation with some clan. If it's a special event, like once some guys came to me and they wanted me to keep a magical spike for a few years until they return, and you refuse them, they just leave. You won't get any reward from them afterwards, but also not suffer the consequences of keeping the spike [it attracts trolls]. You can sell that thing to other clans, too, even if you're supposed to keep it.

Mostly, politely refusing doesn't have a lot of long-term consequences, but being downright rude can lead to feuds with the clan those people are from, or with some bad things happening to you.

tardtastic

Scholar
Oh, this game's brilliant. And the replay value is quite high, as the outcome of your decisions isn't based wholly upon WHAT decision you make, but also how well your tribe is doing and what qualities you're focusing on (for example, if you have few weaponthanes and little battle experience, you're less likely to get a good result from making a militaristic decision, even if in a previous game it rewarded you.)

I've never successfully made a clan, as the tribes involved decided to oust me on the next turn, and I was so frustrated that I ceased playing. It's also been difficult to keep from starving in the early game - I have to start with little land, and be a peace tribe with all my magics and efforts routed towards improving harvest. And I still haven't learned how to make trade routes worthwhile.

A brilliant game nonetheless, because there are so many random events, and the results of your decisions can be random, and so the game just doesn't get old. If these folks could expand this game system to new tales or other genres - wow, I would hardly need any other games.

Ladonna

Arcane
And its idiotically difficult to buy a copy....Thanks for the review though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It does look very ugly, though.

They should make a graphic-less text-only version.

tardtastic

Scholar
i think YOU look ugly

The art is perfectly appropriate and quite interesting, and the interface is clear despite high complexity and a low resolution.
how could anyone whose fetish is based upon shitty "artwork" possibly criticize the "looks" of this game argh i just dont understand its not fair
immersion

JoeDirt

Scholar
jasede has no sense of what looks good and what doesn't i.e. his comments about this game's artwork and his comments on pictures of women. also, he thinks german language > english language.

it is pretty much man-law that whatever jasede doesn't like must be awesome.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Slenkar said:
what are you supposed to do to win the game?
or what are the clan leaders striving to do?

The goal depends on if you choose to play a short or a long game. Short game has the goal to form a tribe [a kind of alliance between several clans] and be their leader for several years. A long game requires you to become king of the whole Dragon Pass. For forming a tribe you need to do the Making of the Storm Tribe quest, and then some old man will visit you and tell you that you should form a tribe. Forming a tribe is quite difficult, as you need to convince the clans that a tribe brings only good things, and you need to respect their wishes but without neglecting the wishes of the other clans, which are sometimes conflicting.

You can just neglect the "main quest" of forming a tribe and becoming a king and just play on, which is also fun, as all the events that happen and all the things you can explore are quite fun and always have different consequences.

Also, Jasede, if you think it's ugly you can't appreciate good artwork.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That is not good artwork (to me). It looks like Jeff Vogel splashscreens. VD's concept artist, now that is good artwork. Same about the guy called "Goodbrush".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Jasede said:
That is not good artwork (to me). It looks like Jeff Vogel splashscreens. VD's concept artist, now that is good artwork. Same about the guy called "Goodbrush".

So this looks ugly?

It's good artwork, and it fits the athmosphere of the game perfectly. It's a bit sketchy sometimes, yeah, but it just fits. It fits like a tongue in a woman's pussy. There might be other things you could stick in it, and maybe they would be better in their own right, but the combination of the two is just perfect.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Yes, that looks ugly. In fact it looks hilarious.

SwordStory.jpg

Seriously, what the hell? I've seen better furporn than that. I haven't played the game, though, and I suppose there is a chance it fits the game- if the game is meant to be goofy and weird.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Jasede said:

Seriously, what the hell? I've seen better furporn than that. I haven't played the game, though, and I suppose there is a chance it fits the game- if the game is meant to be goofy and weird.

Well, it fits because it's depicting a Saga. Sagas are supposed to be a bit goofy and weird, if you ever read some of the Norse sagas [especially those involving Loki] or even some stuff in the bible.

What about the other pics then? Like, those depicting the events? What's so *ugly* about it?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
They are in the "uncanny valley" of art. They aren't bad per se, nor are they good. In fact that's the problem. They are too good to be called bad, but they are absolutely not good enough to be called good.

I believe I just dislike the average. I can't even put my finger onto what I dislike about them- I believe it's the "crayon children's book" style that ticks me off.

IE, just ignore me. It's prolly a good game. If I won't play it because I think it's ugly that's my loss, and mine alone; pay no heed.

Shoelip

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
Jasede said:

Well, it fits because it's depicting a Saga. Sagas are supposed to be a bit goofy and weird, if you ever read some of the Norse sagas [especially those involving Loki] or even some stuff in the bible.

What about the other pics then? Like, those depicting the events? What's so *ugly* about it?

Hm, really? Does anyone tie their testicles to a disgruntled goat?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Well, I'll soon see about the artwork myself. Downloading the demo-version.

JoKa

Cipher
bloody good game.

but I wouldn't call this a review, it's more one of those 'let's play it'-threads...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Astromarine said:
Jasede said:
They are in the "uncanny valley" of art.

What the hell does this have to do with the uncanny valley? do you actually know what you're talking about?

Please note the quotation marks (Here is a specimen: ") that denote that something is not meant to be taken literally. I was unable to find a word that suitably describes the feeling one gets when one is looking at art that is too bad to be good and too good to be bad and hence makes one feel as if there was something wrong with that art. Since I found no such word I made one up and called it "uncanny valley", since it's indeed quite valley-shaped if I were to express my meaning in a graph.

Do you wish a diagram?

Callaxes

Arbiter
Thanks for the review JarlFrank. Great game, great game.

About the 10.000 population goal I had: I reached 30.000 in the end, but I had a problem that wouldn't allow me to finish the game. Through a tedious process of declaring feuds and then offering peace by accepting the other clans in my tribe I managed to unite everysingle fucking clan (26) in just one tribe. My tribe! But the game didn't recognize this and considered that there where still 4 tribes in total, so I had some weird moments in which tribe "0" offered to make an alliance if I helped them make war against tribe "00". Towards the end of the game you have that major subquest in which you have to build a city so I had to convince the non existant tribes to unitye. This lead to a pretty strange bug which made me repeat the event every 10 seasons, so in the end I had build 18 cities (I think?). Very weird.

Also. It's realy painfull to supply food for 30.000 people, because you have to ballance the food count from 0 to 16.000. I'm not kidding, each earth season my clan would harvest 25.000 bushels or more, which made me intentionaly plant bad or mediocre crop just to make sure the number won't go above 16.000. Each season I would end up with atleast 2000 sick people, which lead me to abandon sacrifices to C. Arroy's temple and instead make 2 heroquests each year to heal my population.

It was painfull, but also funny as HELL! Ah Ah Ah!

Micmu

Magister
They are in the "uncanny valley" of art.
It would be "uncanny valley of the art", if it was next to photorealistic yet still not completely real and that would make it look much uglier and more artificial than classic drawings.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Sorry then; I didn't mean to literally take the established meaning of "uncanny valley" and project it unto this issue- merely allude to it because I was too incompetent to find a better way of decribing that which I meant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom