Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Space Siege challenges Fallout 3!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Gas Powered Games; Space Siege

We've neglected Chris <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7703>"I think that story can make games better!"</a> Taylor's latest masterpiece - <a href=http://spacesiege.sega.com/index.php>Space Siege</a>, falsely assuming that there is no way this game can top Fallout 3 in the stupidity department. <a href=http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6174406>It's quite possible that we were wrong</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>[Aliens] proceed to wipe the planet clean of all life by cracking the planet's crust with powerful lasers. Bummer.
<br>
<br>
Luckily, Seth Walker commands another colony ship that was about to take off for solar systems unknown just as the aliens attacked. Although he manages to escape the destruction of the Earth, he doesn't manage to leave the solar system before the aliens locate his ship and manage to land a boarding team on it. As the game progresses, Seth's mission will entail tracking down the aliens before they manage to spread throughout the ship and eradicate humanity entirely.
<br>
<br>
...focus will be on allowing you to inhabit the character of Seth and telling a deep and engaging story.</blockquote>"Kill teh evil aliens" is what passes for deep and engaging story these days?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Seth's story revolves around his experiences with cybernetic experimentation. As the game progresses, Seth will be capable of replacing body parts, such as his arms, eyes, or even his lungs, with mechanical parts that will make him better...stronger...faster. These parts will also grant him special abilities that will make the game much easier than it would be otherwise. However, as you increase the amount of Seth's cybernetic upgrades, his "humanity meter" will drain. This acts as a kind of default difficulty setting for the game; you won't switch from easy to hard mode as you get better, but will instead be able to set the level of challenge by either withholding upgrades or going for broke and attempting to make Seth into a walking robot.</blockquote>Sounds like a retarded difficulty scaling concept. It's like saying "if you want a challenging game, don't equip any armor and fight with a toothpick; but don't you dare complaining that the game is easy, if you are wearing armor and using weapons!"
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Chris Taylor and GPG also use the humanity meter as a way to bridge the divide between casual and hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers will be able to compete with each other by attempting to complete the game with the fewest cybernetic add-ons, while players who simply want to relax and have fun will be able to upgrade themselves fully and enjoy blasting their enemies.</blockquote>Beyond stupid.
<br>

Shannow

Waster of Time
kingcomrade said:
Why can't they use their planet-destroying lasers on the colony ship?
Doh, because then they wouldn't have an epic story to tell --> no game --> no morons competing who can be the weakest and no money for Chrissy.

Texas Red

Whiner
Hellraiser said:
As retarded as the space siege ideas may sound it hasn't reached Fallout 3 levels yet. This could change if they add a nuclear catapult or 2.

I would have to honestly say that FOblivious sounds a LOT better than this. And thats saying a lot.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
While the game sounds inherantly stupid it has been a life-long dream of mine to become a Giant Killer Robot.

Curse Chris Taylor for polluting the purity of my dream with his mindless action RPG bullshit. I want to role-play a robot faced with deep and meanful choices, such as "Do I crush Tokyo now or later?". :(

Black

Arcane
Wait, shit...
WHICH Christ Taylor?
The one who wokred on Dungeon Siege or the one who worked on Fallout?

Monolith

Prophet
The cybernetics and the "humanity meter" sounded interesting at first. But they didn't tell then that it won't have any in-game impact. Here he has a good idea, a game play aspect that would be at least slightly unique and interesting and what is he doing?

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's an action RPG. Any concept that doesn't involve killing hordes of enemies will not affect gameplay in noticeable ways.

elander_

Arbiter
In the old times we didn't have retarded stories. Nobody was ashamed of playing a game just to kill tons of stuff in funny ways.

The history of dumbing down games:

Let's screw gameplay for graphics.

1. Games must have shinny graphics.

Now that we have screwed gameplay we must add a reason for players to play.

2. Games must have a linear story.

Games have lousy gameplay and retarded stories. Now only 5 year olds and noobe players bother to play games. Let's focus on them.

3. The casual player.

We are loosing the casual player. Increase the immershum, add quest compasses, dumb down gameplay even more, waste our money in huge publicity campaigns.

4. Hype and imershum.

I'm sure it will not end here.

Monolith

Prophet
Vault Dweller said:
It's an action RPG. Any concept that doesn't involve killing hordes of enemies will not affect gameplay in noticeable ways.
Perhaps. But if this "humanity meter" actually changed your gaming experience depending on your choices, it would be more interesting. That doesn't mean that I'd like to play it then. I surely wouldn't if the gameplay would equal Dungeon Siege's. But in comparison to Dungeon Siege's gameplay this looked like an interesting and unique addition. And now even this turned out to be utter bullshit. Either way, too many words wasted on what will turn out to be crap anyway.

MetalCraze

Arcane
aliens blasting earth and
Seth will be capable of replacing body parts, such as his arms, eyes, or even his lungs, with mechanical parts that will make him better...stronger...faster.

...I imagine that some people are quite happy that now they have a proof that games make people dumber.

...look at Chris Taylor and Todd Howard for examples...

Rei

Novice
elander_ said:
In the old times we didn't have retarded stories. Nobody was ashamed of playing a game just to kill tons of stuff in funny ways.

The history of dumbing down games:

Let's screw gameplay for graphics.

1. Games must have shinny graphics.

Now that we have screwed gameplay we must add a reason for players to play.

2. Games must have a linear story.

Games have lousy gameplay and retarded stories. Now only 5 year olds and noobe players bother to play games. Let's focus on them.

3. The casual player.

We are loosing the casual player. Increase the immershum, add quest compasses, dumb down gameplay even more, waste our money in huge publicity campaigns.

4. Hype and imershum.

I'm sure it will not end here.

Haven't games with no story always been around? Who cares about the biography of jump man? It's more like there was a rise of intellectual games and right when they started making money somebody got the idea that they're too complicated and need to be dumbed down for a 'funner' more 'imersiv' experience.

Wow, Vault Dweller, got an itch in your vagina today?

I think the concept of trading humanity for cybernetic upgrades is a good deal. The fact that it has a bearing on gameplay is cool as well. Sorry if your proselytizing to your insta-hate audience has you thinking you were on to something, you didn't really have a point in this news article.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sonic The Hedgehog said:
Wow, Vault Dweller, got an itch in your vagina today?

I think the concept of trading humanity for cybernetic upgrades is a good deal. The fact that it has a bearing on gameplay is cool as well. Sorry if your proselytizing to your insta-hate audience has you thinking you were on to something, you didn't really have a point in this news article.
I'm very happy that you like it. I would be disappointed and I think Chris would be very sad if nobody liked his idiotic idea. You know, the universe balance and all that. As for why it's a stupid idea, well, I attempted to write an explanation, but then I realized that if you didn't understand the quotes and the comments in the newspost, odds are you won't be able to understand the explanation too.

Erzherzog

Magister
What facet of Space Siege can even be classified as a RPG?

I'm being honest here, it sounds like nothing more than a generic shooter.

Vault Dweller said:
I'm very happy that you like it. I would be disappointed and I think Chris would be very sad if nobody liked his idiotic idea. You know, the universe balance and all that. As for why it's a stupid idea, well, I attempted to write an explanation, but then I realized that if you didn't understand the quotes and the comments in the newspost, odds are you won't be able to understand the explanation too.

So you don't have a rebuttal and you're just being a prickface? Predictable.

Balor

Arcane
Humanity meter... essetially serving as some sort of epenis 'score' to brag about after you completed a game.
Of course, nobody expects gameplay depth from action-RPGs, but that is simply arcadish!
On the other hand, *looks at Sonic The Hedgehog's nickname* some people will surely like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom