Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Dot team forms RPG Watch

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
You've just received a front row seat to a new internet drama in the making. The entire RPG Dot team got fed up with <a href=http://www.jolt.co.uk/>Jolt</a> bullshit and walked out today, starting their own independent rpg site, <a href=http://www.rpgwatch.com>RPG Watch</a>, which you should bookmark immediately.

<blockquote>It’s with some sadness but much anticipation that I announce the RPGDot team is moving on to a new site. After considering several issues for some time, we have decided to return to an independently owned site, designed from the ground up to provide a better layout, faster response and improved features but with the same underlying philosophy and dedication to the RPG community.

We know this will come as a shock to many of our loyal readers and we’d like to thank our visitors, contributors and Jolt for their previous support.

Our new site is now open and we hope you join us on our new adventure. We shouldn’t be too hard to find – watch out for us.</blockquote>Love the layout. Keep it up, guys.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Well, that's excellent news. I can't help but feel that Jolt had an adverse affect on RPGDot. No more huge-ass ads? Yaay.

I wonder, will Jolt keep the original 'Dot site going with new staff?

Dhruin

Liturgist
Don't know. We will discuss an orderly transition but it's up to them. I imagine it would be hard to find the number of volunteers required to keep things churning, but who knows?

I'm not sure I'd couch it such dramatic language as VD's post, but we are looking forward to being a true "indie" site again.

I always tried to honour Rendelius' original vision and we will basically take a similar approach as RPGDot but this does give us the opportunity to change some things. We'll take a lighter approach to forum moderation, for example, to liven up the forums. And we have some plans that will allow more community participation, when the development of those features is finished.

Oh - I can't guarantee no ads eeeeeever but we have no short-term plans for ads and they certainly won't ever be half the bloody site like the current RPGDot skin.

Avé

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
Well, that's excellent news. I can't help but feel that Jolt had an adverse affect on RPGDot. No more huge-ass ads? Yaay.
I dont see how ads have an adverse effect on content?

And tbh, the new site layout is worse than the old(i know, hard to believe).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Dhruin said:
I'm not sure I'd couch it such dramatic language as VD's post, but we are looking forward to being a true "indie" site again.
Drama sells.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Avè said:
And tbh, the new site layout is worse than the old(i know, hard to believe).

Feedback is welcome. Why is it worse?

Dhruin

Liturgist
Inziladun said:
Try to darken up the colours a little bit. White backgrounds hurt little Timmy's eyes. Maybe a light grey would do?

Try hitting the Dark skin option (the "A" at the top, next to "HELP".

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Nice site. Once the RSS feed goes up, I'll be in heaven.

...please?

Jed

Cipher
Maybe consider separating out the MMRPG content. Having to wade through all the news about Asheron's World of Camelot Online or whatever is why I personally never visited RPGDot very often.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
at both rpgdot and rpgwatch the mmorpg news is seperate. Has been at rpgdot since a long time now

Jed

Cipher
Roqua said:
at both rpgdot and rpgwatch the mmorpg news is seperate. Has been at rpgdot since a long time now
Ah, well it's been a long time since I've checked in then ...

Avé

Liturgist
Rpgdot layout(while ugly) displays a lot more content in a lot less screen space, has the content divided up more and has a big navbar on the left to use.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
The new site is great. So much better than that old slow piece of shit. I really like the new layout too. It's simple and to the point. Compared to the old site the creation of this new one deserves a thank you.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Congrats on the move!

If I may ask for one thing- now that you have the freedom of being an independent board again, please do not let these forums descend into the madness that they have over at RPGCodex. Please keep RPG Watch respectable and creditable!

Thank you!

VD just got offended.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Wow. Best of luck to the team with the new site, no doubt it will go swimmingly - it's already easier to look at, though I do miss the old site's original graphics as it's the first RPG website I visited regularly.

The Codex should ask Jolt if we can take over duties at RPGDot - you know, post up our own topics and news and shit. We could have a direct feed from Retardo Land to their front page.

suibhne

Erudite
I still find it irksome to wade through all the news - I wish there was a better structure for it - but I like this site layout a little better. And congrats on getting out of there. :D

It's a little thing, but it would be awfully nice if you guys could make the "All News" banner a link to the head of the actual newsfeed, rather than forcing us to scroll down for an entire second to the feed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom