Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's settle this once and for all! Who's the Top Dog?

What is the Codex' choice for greatest CRPG of all time?

• I choose Arcanum!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I choose Fallout!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I choose Torment!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Fezzik said:
...what your posts indicate to me is that you're saying that the role-playing elements of an RPG, if good enough, should determine the quality of an RPG far more than the implementation of the elements that go into that, like the difference between a combat-oriented path and a less combat-oriented path.
Surely you'd agree that the "if good enough" part must include implementation?

If that weren't the case, why would people choosing Fallout over Arcanum be indicative of them simply preferring combat and being in a more Mondblutian camp or whatever? Sure, combat was mentioned, but I would hardly think that combat alone would be the determiner for most of the folks here, especially considering that Fallout's combat is nothing special.
I beg to differ. While Fallout combat wasn't very deep, it had:

- firearms (better than swinging yet another +3 sword)
- outstanding and very satisfying death animations (what other game had anything that was even remotely close to that?)
- limited but well done options (burst, aimed, etc)

Considering that a lot of people think that RPGs are about combat or that combat is one of the mandatory and integrate features, it's easy to believe that Fallout's combat is one of the (if not the) main reasons why Fallout is a more popular game than Arcanum.

I know that is not a logical, point-by-point, fact-based breakdown of things, but ...
...but it's thoughtful and understandable. Thanks.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Considering that a lot of people think that RPGs are about combat.

Aye. Or, alternatively, "a lot of people" don't like being shoved into annoying dungeon crawls in a game with a weak combat system.

Don't think for people like that, VD, it's weak. I list Fallout above Arcanum for a handful of reasons, and combat is one of them. But how's this: it's not me who attaches importance to combat, it's Arcanum by shoving me into this combat-rich environment.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I didn't say that everyone who likes Fallout likes it because the combat system is so good, did I? Some people loved it for multiple solutions and non-linearity, some people loved it for combat, and some people loved it for both and more. Would that be a fair statement?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Would that be a fair statement?

Yes. If a bit flipsided. I don't love Fallout more for its combat, I love Arcanum less for its combat. Take combat out of both games, and the decrease in quality of Fallout would be minor compared to the increase in quality of Arcanum.

See? Yet another divergence in the great stream of opinions. It just seems to me that there's something way too absolutist in declaring that Fallout winning this poll is proof positive that the Codex is a bunch of combat-humpers, which I do believe you did earlier in the thread. There's too much else Fallout does right and Arcanum does wrong. And vice versa. When we're talking games of this quality, minor nudges can tilt the balance for individual people. That makes the whole catch-all definition of "it's the combat that does it!" such an unnecessary simplification.

Combat in Fallout is better than in Arcanum or Torment. To conclude from that "hence when Fallout wins a poll over the other two it must be due to combat" is a gigantic leap of logic.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Brother None said:
See? Yet another divergence in the great stream of opinions. It just seems to me that there's something way too absolutist in declaring that Fallout winning this poll is proof positive that the Codex is a bunch of combat-humpers, which I do believe you did earlier in the thread.
I said "based on the comments made in this thread".

Also:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=39174

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, I wouldn't say combat's the main reason I like Fallout even though it's what I listed as the main reason I chose it over Arcanum or PST. It's just that Fallout doesn't have BAD combat, whereas I couldn't stand PST or Arcanum for combat. And since combat is important in all of them (Anyone who says rat diplomacy or "High INT/WIS TNO can talk out of anything!" is full of shit) having much better combat (Decent) is a bigger advantage to me than the setting/options of Arcanum or the writing/characters of PST, neither of which Fallout does poorly.

Hell, I'd have a tough time deciding between Fallout and Bloodlines for my top dog RPG, and Bloodlines has sub-decent combat. And I wouldn't include ToEE at all even though it has fantastic combat.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
Yeah, I wouldn't say combat's the main reason I like Fallout even though it's what I listed as the main reason I chose it over Arcanum or PST. It's just that Fallout doesn't have BAD combat, whereas I couldn't stand PST or Arcanum for combat. And since combat is important in all of them (Anyone who says rat diplomacy or "High INT/WIS TNO can talk out of anything!" is full of shit) having much better combat (Decent) is a bigger advantage to me than the setting/options of Arcanum or the writing/characters of PST, neither of which Fallout does poorly.

Hell, I'd have a tough time deciding between Fallout and Bloodlines for my top dog RPG, and Bloodlines has sub-decent combat. And I wouldn't include ToEE at all even though it has fantastic combat.
You can avoid all the combat in Arcanum, period.

Korgan

Arbiter
two-towers-02.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kz3r0 said:
Multi-headed Cow said:

Yeah maybe if you level up your sneaking right in the beginning and never take any followers and are constantly in sneak mo... oh wait that was sarcasm, wasn't it?

Jim Cojones

Prophet
JarlFrank said:
Yeah maybe if you level up your sneaking right in the beginning and never take any followers and are constantly in sneak mo... oh wait that was sarcasm, wasn't it?
No, just pick charisma + persuasion, take as many followers as you can, turn real time on and you will never experience any combat.

Kz3r0

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Kz3r0 said:
Multi-headed Cow said:

Charm beast.
Dominate will.
Invisibility.
Teleportation.
Mastery in Persuasion and Haggle.
Don't tell your story to anyone, accept bates' quest.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Fallout 2

From the choices given: Fallout 1.
Fallout 2 > 1 because the first one is too small and too short for me.

Arcanum should be the winner easily but the horrible combat engine and lack of game balance makes it worse than both Fallouts.

Talonfire

Scholar
Quilty said:
Hang on a minute.

Has BLOBERT expressed his opinion yet?

I need to know what he thinks.

I imagine that BLOBERT would say something along these lines:

"FALOWT ARKANIM AND PISSCAPE TORMINT ARE FOR CONSOLEFAGS!!!!!! REAL BROS PLAY ULTINMA AND BG2..."

Quilty

Magister
Talonfire said:
Quilty said:
Hang on a minute.

Has BLOBERT expressed his opinion yet?

I need to know what he thinks.

I imagine that BLOBERT would say something along these lines:

"FALOWT ARKANIM AND PISSCAPE TORMINT ARE FOR CONSOLEFAGS!!!!!! REAL BROS PLAY ULTINMA AND BG2..."

Perhaps, but I need him to personally say it and guide us through these troubled times when one man can make a thread as unholy as this one and not get a single "Plane tickets, warmongering bitch!"

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
This thread is not unholy. We are Codex. We are hivemind. There must be unity. There can be only one.

Resistance is frowned upon.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I like Fallout the most.

Arcanum could be my favourite if it would have no mandatory combat encounters (for example, whole story would happen in a well guarded city) and if the PC would start on level 7-12 (when character development system finally allows the PC to do interesting things). It has good dialogues, cool setting, interesting quest solutions nice music and graphics but it is spoiled by too much combat and horrible mechanics.

As for PST - I have played it through once and enjoyed every non-combat moment of it. I have tried starting again three times but I can't get myself to re-read all these walls of text.
They all remind me that I have already played this game.
While long dialogues are be a good form of gameplay, they drastically decrease replayability.
Also, like Arcanum, it has too much combat without really interesting and rewarding combat mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom