Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima Underworld 2: World 6 Pits Of Carnage! 1/2

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
garg.jpg
Garg change channel.

goddies.gif

dupre.jpg
And stay away from my drink cabinet!

garg.jpg
Oh, Dupre show on now.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
killornkeep.jpg

Part 4: World 2 - Killorn Keep.

Now with animated gifs & 30% less references.

george.jpg
The Avatar enters the second gem facet. I hope this is a hostile world full of combat and little talking!

richard.jpg
Prepare to be disappointed.

I'll do some summarising. A little.

uw2_001start.jpg

I emerge in some sort of castle and was immediately halted by a soldier.

Listen to Ultima Underworld 2 music "Killorn keep", in midi for those masochist:
http://www.bootstrike.com/Uw2/playmidi.html?file=killornkeep.mid&title=Killorn Keep

Certainly one of the most memorable tune ever composed. Everyone who played UW2 will recognise this piece.
Not so easy to find this song on the Internet, I wonder why?

For some reason, the portraits in this world are very popular as avatars.

uw2_002talk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
I am a traveler.

greeter.jpg
Then thou shouldst speak to Mystell at once, stranger. Be prepared to inform her of your name, place of origin, and current destination!

*He pauses a moment, and studies your clothing, which seems garish and out of place here.*

greeter.jpg
'Tis possible thou wilt undergo a loyalty test, as well. See that thou art well-versed in His Law!

helicopter.jpg
What law is this?

greeter.jpg
Fool! Know you not the Guardian's Laws? I suggest that thou seek some education!

This place is under the Guardian's control as well? I best be careful.

uw2_004trilkhun.jpg

Beside the soldier is a feline creature. Hello!

uw2_005trilkhun.jpg

Eh? It talked in my mind, a telepathic cat? This is interesting.

uw2_006greathall.jpg

I appear to be in a great hall, crowded with guards and merchants.
Let's start by talking with one of the guards.

uw2_007guard.jpg

I'm on a flying fortress!
A flying fortress in a Western RPG is like a cat that talks, very rare!

helicopter.jpg
Where am I?

kilguard.jpg
If you have any questions, suggestions, or complaints, please address them to Mystell, whose office lies to the northwest. Enjoy your stay.

I guess I should report to this Mystell after touring this hall.

uw2_008relk.jpg

One of the soldiers looks important: He's the only one with a name.
Take note of the Guardian banners hanging around.

uw2_009relk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
How dost thou know my name?

relk.jpg
'Tis a small keep, Av... er, Helicopter. Do come see me.

*He hurries away.*

Looks like trouble.

There are three merchants in the hall:
aron.jpg
bishay.jpg
merzan.jpg

Aron:

aron.jpg
Greetings, friend! I bid thee welcome to glorious Killorn Keep, the castle which soars among the clouds. Thou dost seem to be a well-worn traveler -- I would wager that thou hast been off on adventures of late.

helicopter.jpg
Thou art correct. I am on a quest to save my world!

aron.jpg
Thou hast come to the right place then, friend. Thou will be a happier soul for having found me! Here thou may purchase many items, items which could tip the scales of success on your quest. Might thou be interested?

Aron is a good salesman but his selection is a joke.

Bishay:

bishay.jpg
Oh, how grand! Another rotten customer! I suppose you'll be wanting to buy one of my valuable pieces of merchandise, right?

helicopter.jpg
There is no need to be rude! Art thou a merchant?

bishay.jpg
No, I am Mors Gotha's mother. Cretin! Of course I am a mercant! Art thou blind, or dost thou have the brain of a sponge?

The jaded Bishay has to be coaxed to sell his goods, which is decent.

Merzan:

merzan.jpg
Welcome, welcome! I am Merzan, seller of a plethora of wondrous small magicks and enchantments! I can even sell you a spell or two, if you're skill in rune magic. Perhaps I have the charm you're looking for today?

Merzan sells an inexhaustible supply of potions, identifies items and recharges wands. He is the ultimate vending machine. He also entertains special requests, but he is picky about payment:

helicopter.jpg
I want to ask about forms of payment.

merzan.jpg
I'm always happy to talk about payment! I'll always take gold coins, of course. Or pearls, emeralds, rubies, or any other gems you might find. And if you've a fine golden goblet or scepter to trade, well, I wouldn't turn that away either.

Most of my gold and precious gems will go to him.

With naught left to see in the hall, let's visit this Mystell who is in charge of newcomers.

uw2_010mystell.jpg

mystell.jpg
I greet thee, Traveler, and welcome thee to Killorn Keep. I am Mystell. For reasons of security, I must now ask thee several questions. Art thou willing to answer them?

helicopter.jpg
Aye.

mystell.jpg
To begin with, what is thy name?

1. Helicopter.
2. Helicopter, Avatar of Britannia and sworn enemy of the Guardian.
3. Abraham Lincoln.

helicopter.jpg
Abraham Lincoln.

mystell.jpg
Next question. What country dost thou come from?

1. Siberia.
2. Britannia.
3. Excuse me, I am feeling ill. May I answer these questions later?

helicopter.jpg
Siberia.

mystell.jpg
This is not an acceptable answer. I have never heard of this country, and it is certainly not on our trading route!

Would you believe... Codexia?

mystell.jpg
I warn thee, do not attempt to offer me false or imaginary answers. Go and consider thy options, but do not tarry overlong.

I can tarry all I want. But maybe I should chat with the locals to familiarise myself with this world.

uw2_011messhall.jpg

The messhall in the north-east is occupied by three people.
kintarta.jpg
ogri.jpg
lobar.jpg

Kinatara, a trader:

kintarta.jpg
I hail from the land of Javra, though it has been years since I have seen that place. 'Tis beyond the Tuay Mountains, far from this desert place.

She mentions something about going to Mashan to get some spice drug that can give people visions.

Ogri, a very old servant:

ogri.jpg
I am Ogri, son of Irgo, and I serve whoever holds power in Killorn Keep, as my father did, and my father's father before him, since the first day stone was laid on stone at Killorn, these centuries past.

helicopter.jpg
Who is thy leader?

ogri.jpg
The venerable Lord Thibris is king here, Mistress. He is a kind man, a great warrior in his day. He was much grieved to heard that the banner had been lost.

helicopter.jpg
What banner is this?

ogri.jpg
The lost banner of Killorn! In my great-great-grandfather's time, this castle's Lord fell in battle against the demon Praecor Loth, and with him was lost the Keep's emblem, the blue eagle. If in thy travels thou shouldst hear word of it, 'twould give an old man some small joy to see it returned.

helicopter.jpg
And what canst thou offer me in return?

ogri.jpg
I am old, Mistress, and my father was old before me, and he knew this castle when it still stood in the ground. He told me of many secrets in this castle, many twistings and twinings, which might prove of interest to one such as thee.

helicopter.jpg
What meanest thou, "one such as thee?"

ogri.jpg
I mean only, "one such as thyself," Mistress. I am old, but I am not blind.

*Raises eyebrow*

helicopter.jpg
What canst thou tell me of the keep?

ogri.jpg
The keep is an old, old place, far older than most suspect. 'Twas built by my ancestors, for purposes that have been all but forgotten in time...

helicopter.jpg
Why does it fly?

ogri.jpg
It flies because the Guardian wishes it to fly, I suppose. But it must be very heavy, and he who lifts it so very, very old, and tired...

helicopter.jpg
Who lifts it?

ogri.jpg
I.. cannot tell thee that, young Mistress. I may not speak of that... Individual. Perhaps we should discuss something else.

The last person gets a full dialogue copy treatment:

uw2_011Zlobar.jpg

*A drunken young man in a guard's uniform hails you loudly.*

lobar.jpg
Ho, there, stranger! Sit and have a drink with me.

helicopter.jpg
Aye, gladly! I am Helicopter.

*He cuts you off.*

lobar.jpg
Nay, tell me not thy name, stranger, and I shall withhold mine -- I would speak freely with thee, without fear of being informed upon! I serve under Relk these days, so I've had enough o' that.

helicopter.jpg
You would speak treason?

lobar.jpg
Aye, treason! Why not? I've no more truck with the Eight Virtues -- Drunkenness is my One Virtue now, and I its Avatar. He's taken all the others from me!

helicopter.jpg
Who has taken thy virtues?

lobar.jpg
The Guardian! The red bastard with the dental problem!

lobar.jpg
Th'way I figure it, what's a virtue when it's made a law? Obedience, 's all it is! 'Course obedience is the third virtue anyway, so whassit matter?

helicopter.jpg
What are the rest of the virtues?

lobar.jpg
The Guardian's virtues, of which I am clearly a living embodiment, are: Sobriety, punctuality, obedience, vigilance, conformity, efficiency, silence, and diligence! Bit of a colorless crew, eh?

Lord British's virtues, of which the Avatar is clearly a living embodiment, are: Honesty, compassion, valor, justice, sacrifice, honour, spirituality and humility.

helicopter.jpg
I prefer drunkenness.

lobar.jpg
I shall teach thee the reason why I drink. 'Tis a long tale -- wouldst thou hear it?

helicopter.jpg
Aye, tell me.

lobar.jpg
To make my point, I'll have to say my name: Lobar! Know it?

helicopter.jpg
(Honesty) Aye, methinks I heard it once.

lobar.jpg
I should expect so!

lobar.jpg
I won the Empire's dueling competition for four years straight. Remember me now? This was five years ago. I was 20 years old, the talk of the capitol! They called me "the Young Mors Gotha." God, I was fast, then!

helicopter.jpg
Who is Mors Gotha?

lobar.jpg
The Guardian's pet killer. Met her once, long time ago, even beat her once in a sparring match! Didn't care for her much, but she could handle a blade!

helicopter.jpg
Tell me more of thy story.

lobar.jpg
I started getting the "inner voice," the one they say comes to favored servants of the Guardian. you know it? He wanted me to kill people for him. I dunno why -- removing dissidents, I guess, or maybe just to show off that he had an unbeatable fencer in his pocket.

This guy is so good with the blade that each training session with him will give you an extra skill point.

helicopter.jpg
I have heard of this voice.

lobar.jpg
It turns out he can do more than talk -- made it rough for me for a while. Still does, when I'm sober -- drinking's the only thing that holds him off! If I own one thing in the world, it's my sword arm. I'm the best there is, and I worked to get that way, and I'll be damned if that Red Bastard will make me his toy.

helicopter.jpg
I understand thy sentiments.

lobar.jpg
Dost thou? 'Tis rare that I find one who understands the worth of such things, particularly since I've been exiled to this backwater! May we, then, be friends?

helicopter.jpg
Of course. Please tell me of this keep.

lobar.jpg
A stranger such as thyself must be wary of Mystell! If thou hast no good reason to be aboard, she will almost certainly suspect thee as a spy. She already has a campaign going against that stuck-up mage Altara!

Wandering around, I came across the throne room, say the layout of this fortress is familiar. It's just like Lord British's Castle!

uw2_012thibris.jpg

The throne room is simliar to Lord British's. Even the ruler's name, Lord Thibris is an anagram of Lord British.

thibris.jpg
Do they look similar?
british.jpg

helicopter.jpg
What sort of life is it, serving the Guardian?

thibris.jpg
'Tis fabulous -- I remember in the final days of the Praecor Loth campaign, he came to us, freezing in our camp on the tundra, and gave us a wonderful display of magical fireworks! Two thirds of us came back with frostbite, but I tell thee, there was not a word of complaint!

george.jpg
There's nothing like lifting the men's morale with fireworks! How I wish I was there.

richard.jpg
Well, if you like fireworks and the Guardian so much, maybe you should play EA's Boom Boom Rocket™.

helicopter.jpg
Tell me of the Loth Campaign.

thibris.jpg
I never tire of this story! Though 'twas centuries ago, I still remember it as my greatest triumph!

helicopter.jpg
Centuries ago? How is this possible?

thibris.jpg
Well, yes, er, it seems that on different worlds time runs differently... or perhaps I just age differently, or something. I never quite understood.

helicopter.jpg
Who was Praecor Loth?

thibris.jpg
Oh, some barbarian king or other. 'Tis of no import now! The Guardian offered him peace, but he would not take it, and so I was sent to bring him down. 'Twas in the early battles there that the Killorn Banner was lost. Such a pity!

So he lost the banner in a game of capture the flag?

helicopter.jpg
Didst thou succeed in thy campaign?

thibris.jpg
I drove him a thousand miles north of his capital, 'til he died and was buried in a great tomb carved into a cliff. His greatest treasure still rests there, a horn of extraordinary power!

helicopter.jpg
What was special about the horn?

thibris.jpg
Why the sound that came from it could shatter buildings! None could wield it but Praecor Loth himself, but the Guardian hoped to harness its power somehow.

helicopter.jpg
Why did you not just dig it out?

thibris.jpg
Well, you know, we tried that, but they built the tomb very cleverly. There was supposed to be a map, divided in eight parts, hidden in the tomb, and it showed the way through a deadly maze. Most of my servants wouldn't enter the tomb at all, though. They feared the dead, the superstitious fools!

helicopter.jpg
It must have been a great victory.

thibris.jpg
Ah, yes.

*He wipes a tear eye.*

thibris.jpg
'Twas a great day for the Guardian, then. Such a speech he gave!

I guess I will be paying this Tomb a visit sometime in the future.
But let me return to exploring the keep.

uw2_012Zbarracks.jpg

South-west is the barracks. As the game progresses, more and more soldiers will arrive. This is what they will say:

helicopter.jpg
This is a fine fighting outfit!

kilsolider.jpg
You bet yer ass it is! Fightin' men don't come any tougher 'n meaner 'n us. When we land this thing, it's gonna be a slaughter!

helicopter.jpg
Art thou truly that formidable?

kilsolider.jpg
Mors Gotha don't pick her soldiers for their looks, pal. We're leadin' this invasion 'cause we've never lost a battle. This one comin' up ain't gonna change that, neither!

helicopter.jpg
Who is Mors Gotha?

kilsolider.jpg
I shoulda known you were a jester! Who is Mors Gotha? You'd better crawl back to the rock you've been under and stay outta the way!

helicopter.jpg
What will you tell me about the invasion?

kilsolider.jpg
I heard that they bottled up the enemy inside their fortress, but that they got some sort of hero-type in there with 'em.

george.jpg
A hero? I wonder who that is.

kilsolider.jpg
Still, with Gotha and the Guardian on our side, I ain't worried.

helicopter.jpg
Canst thou tell me more?

kilsolider.jpg
The defenders are 100% sealed up in there, some kinda blackrock casting. Some guys are sayin' we'll just be goin' in and cleanin' up.

So Lord British is not just facing a water crisis, but an invasion as well! Sounds familiar...

richard.jpg
A human invasion? How dull, try demons, space aliens or at the very least, mutants.

george.jpg
And I hope the Avatar doesn't do anything to reduce the invasion time limit.

helicopter.jpg
Canst thou tell me more?

kilsolider.jpg
I heard they've found a way in through the basement. We'll be going in as soon as the rest of the troops get here.

helicopter.jpg
Canst thou think of anything else?

kilsolider.jpg
Nothing like working under Gotha. Like voodoo, her touch. 'Less yer in the forward units, o'course -- she does like to have a few rookies in front to spring the traps.

I'm hearing a little too much of this Mors Gotha.

helicopter.jpg
Canst thou tell me more?

kilsolider.jpg
I hear they hadda herd in a few extra -- whaddayacallem -- brain creatures to hold up the extra weight in the castle.

Loose lips sink ships. Hmm I wonder if I can sink this ship.

Sufficiently oriented with this world, I can now answer Mystell's questions.

mystell.jpg
Well, Abraham, let us resume the questioning.

mystell.jpg
What country dost thou come from?

The correct reply now appears.

helicopter.jpg
Jarva, beyond the Tuay Mountains.

mystell.jpg
Javra. I see.

*She peers at you suspiciously.*

mystell.jpg
What country art thou bound for?

1. Montana.
2. Foobaria.
3. Excuse me, I am feeling a little ill. May I answer these questions later?
4. Mashan, for trading purposes.

helicopter.jpg
Mashan, for trading purposes.

mystell.jpg
What, then, is the seventh of the Eight Virtues?

1. Spirituality.
2. Excuse me, I must go meditate on the profoundity of this question.
3. Honour.
4. Silence.

helicopter.jpg
Silence.

mystell.jpg
Excellent! I see that thou hast studied well the way of our master. Now that I have ascertained thy loyalty, I have a proposition to make to you. I have need of one who is a stranger to the keep, one who I can trust with some private information. Wilt thou hear it?

helicopter.jpg
Aye.

mystell.jpg
It is a delicate matter. I would like you to speak with a resident of the keep, the sorceress Altara, and sound her out on certain topics -- I have reason to suspect she is an enemy of our Guardian. If thou canst find proof, I shall give thee thirty gold pieces.

Thirty gold? Thou will have to do better than that.

helicopter.jpg
What is in it for thee?

mystell.jpg
Altara once seemed destined for the Guardian's high Council -- why has she come to a backwater like Killorn? Her reasons for being here don't add up at all! If I could uncover proof of her treachery, I might receive a promotion, perhaps even a position in the capitol.

helicopter.jpg
I shall do it. Where is the money?

mystell.jpg
Money will come with proof, Abraham. Now go, it is not well we should be seen together.

This sorceress... wait a minute, didn't Bishop say something about a flying fortress?

bishop.jpg
For the moment, I shall say only that thou shouldst look for a sorcerous lady in a fortress high above a desert.

And Altara is in the room right beside Mystell:

altara-1.jpg

uw2_013altara.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Mystell has mentioned you.

altara.jpg
I see. And art thou a friend of hers?

helicopter.jpg
Nay, she bears thee ill will.

altara.jpg
Thou'rt a good judge of character, Helicopter, for I am well aware that she doth enjoy spying on me, and on poor drunken Lobar, too. Now what may I do for thee?

helicopter.jpg
I am new to this world, and need assistance.

altara.jpg
Another...

*She snatches a blue lens from a nearby table, holds it before her eye, and gasps.*

altara.jpg
'Tis true! Why have you come here, stranger?

helicopter.jpg
I wander the planes, searching for a way to save my people, whom the Guardian has imprisoned.

altara.jpg
Hush! Mystell is ever spying upon me -- doubtless, she approached thee on the subject, too!

*She runs to close the outer door.*

The door does actually close. Which is funny if you are talking from outside her room.

helicopter.jpg
Wilt thou help me?

altara.jpg
However I can. I am no friend to the Guardian, either. I once sought to organize an independent political movement, a group that would promote causes not specifically authorized by the High Council.

helicopter.jpg
That was foolish!

*She nods*

altara.jpg
I admit it. The council's policy debates are a sham, Helicopter. The Guardian brooks no dissent among his subjects. We were betrayed, and those of us too valuable to kill were exiled to the four corners of the empire. Thus I was posted to this desert keep, ever observed by Mystell and her craven ilk.

helicopter.jpg
I would like to help thee oppose the Guardian.

altara.jpg
Perhaps. But first, I would learn of thine own quarrel with the Titan.

*You tell her of Britannia's plight.*
*She retrieves a dagger from a locked chest.*

altara.jpg
You understand, 'tis a great risk for one in my position to trust thee with this. Listen well -- I was a long while in the Guardian's service, and I know his methods. There will be an observer in thy castle, some magical creature lurking in the sewers and tunnels there.

helicopter.jpg
Where will it be?

altara.jpg
By now it has borrowed deep into the rock foundation of thy fortress, its ear to the stone, listening to all that transpire there. It will stay near a body of water, and surround itself with walls of fire.

helicopter.jpg
I shall slay it.

altara.jpg
Keep this dagger with thee! This shall bring thee through any fire-walls it puts in thy path. And though other weapons may wound it, only this blade can deal the killing blow.

*she smiles.*

altara.jpg
Thank thee, Helicopter. We shall make a good team in this.

uw2_014Alistener.jpg

If you recall, there was a "lavafall" on the second level of the sewers:

uw2_014Blistener.jpg

Which now has an opening.

uw2_014listener.jpg

Entering it I find an imp, the "listener": And easily slay it.

george.jpg
That was fast.

richard.jpg
Narrative fast travel. The game would do better if it has fast travel.

I return to report:

helicopter.jpg
The Listener is dead.

altara.jpg
So thou hast disposed of the Guardian's watcher? Then thou art trustworthy after all! 'Tis well, as I have need of an ally who can travel the planes.

helicopter.jpg
I am offended that thou dost not trust me.

altara.jpg
Past experience has shown me that few people, if any, are trustworthy. My previous naiveté proved most... expensive.

*She shows you a black pearl.*

altara.jpg
I have almost succeeded in placing a powerful enchantment in this pearl. It lacks only two rare elements, the egg of a dread spider
(got it), and an amethyst rod. Once complete, it will become a powerful weapon in this fight.

helicopter.jpg
Go to! I am not here to be thy errand-runner.

altara.jpg
Art thou sure? Thy world shall benefit more than mine, if this can be completed.

helicopter.jpg
I shall complete the quest.

altara.jpg
Here, take the pearl with thee, and bring it back with the components. Before you go -- I have noticed that thou dost practice runic magic. Wilt thou take these with thee, Helicopter, as my gift?

uw2_015altara.jpg

uw2_016rune.jpg

All three runes she gave me are new, I still lack a good ranged attack spell.

Instead of killing the Listener, I could betray Altara and give the dagger to Mystell. The dagger will turn out to be fake and Altara will distrust me. The only way to win back her favour is to kill Relk, the captain of the Guards.

Relk asked me to visit him in his quarters, and I shall do so now.

uw2_017blackie.jpg

On the way, I came across the stables where the intelligent felines live. Their leader is called Blackie.

uw2_018blackie.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Yes, that is correct.

trilkhai.jpg
We have need of a... helper. But I see thou dost know nothing of our situation. The humans named us "Trilkhai." They do not know that we able to communicate in this way.

helicopter.jpg
Why don't you tell them?

trilkhai.jpg
They might become afraid of us, and destroy us. It is safer that they think of us as animals.

helicopter.jpg
Then why entrust thy secret to me?

trilkhai.jpg
I see that thou hast virtues that will prevent thee from betraying us. We must risk this, as many of us have need of a human agent in the keep.

helicopter.jpg
I will help thee where I can.

trilkhai.jpg
Human, I am the oldest, and I have heard many stories of our race's past, wild tales of Trilkhai who flew among the stars, and hurled fire at the humans. I would learn if thou hast met any being who has knowledge of this.

helicopter.jpg
I have heard of none, but I shall look.

trilkhai.jpg
If thou couldst learn the truth, it would be of great service to our race!

george.jpg
You are one who flew among the stars, do you know of any spacecats shooting fire at humans?

richard.jpg
Hmm, sorry I haven't a clue. Perhaps it's just another obscure pop culture reference.

uw2_019josie.jpg

Another Trilkhai wants the Avatar to FedEx water for her, good thing I imported one from The Prison Tower. She offered me this bit of advice.

trilkhai.jpg
I thank thee, Helicopter! Now I must tell you something. I heard Relk thinking about thee! He doesn't like thee at all, and he made some kind of trap to catch thee in, if you go to look for a black jewel he put in the oubliette! I don't understand what it means, but thou shouldst stay away from him!

I'm not going to start taking advice from a talking cat am I?

uw2_020chirl.jpg

Whilst there I talk to the imbecile stablehand:

chirl.jpg
Name's Chirl. I keep the stables here.

helicopter.jpg
Chirl? Doesn't that rhyme with "girl?"

chirl.jpg
Hey!! That's not funny!

helicopter.jpg
Where are all the horses?

chirl.jpg
Horses? What do you mean? This is where we keep the Trilkhai. The Trilks are good for carryin' stuff, 'n' they're smart. Guardian likes us to breed 'em. They say he takes shipments of 'em for himself, dunno why.

helicopter.jpg
How smart are they?

chirl.jpg
Just animals, y'know. What's the big deal?

helicopter.jpg
Don't you know that they're intelligent telepaths?

*A voice speaks in your mind: Beware, human, lest we are found out.*

chirl.jpg
Wuddayoo, whacked? Giddaddaheeya!

*The voice says: We are fortunate with this one.*

The game doesn't allow me to expose the Trilkhai. :(

uw2_021relk.jpg

Now I'm at Relk's personal quarters, I open up my Runebag and prepare the spell Cause fear with the new runes Altara gave me.

*A well-groomed young man in armor greets you.*

relk.jpg
Welcome to my quarters, Helicopter... or should I say, "Avatar?"

1. How dost thou know who I am?
2. Thou wert seen carrying a black jewel. Canst thou tell me about it?

helicopter.jpg
Thou wert seen carrying a black jewel. Canst thou tell me about it?

relk.jpg
Uh... what does thou mean, a black gem?

helicopter.jpg
Someone saw you carrying a black gem. Now where did you get it?

relk.jpg
Oh, THAT gem! 'Twas nothing, merely a gift from my... sister.

helicopter.jpg
Then why did you throw it in the oubliette?

relk.jpg
How dost thou know these thing! Did Nocticle Sartre send thee? 'Twas a top secret assignment from the Guardian himself!

helicopter.jpg
Nocticle Sartre? What is that?

relk.jpg
Had I known thou wert so well-informed, I would have killed thee long before this. 'Tis almost as if thou didst spy on me, there in the engine room. Come, we shall settle the matter now.

*He draws his sword.*

uw2_022relk.jpg

Round 1:
Relk slashes the Avatar but her mail leggings absorbs the blow.
The Avatar casts cause fear.

uw2_023relk.jpg

Round 2:
Relk flees in terror!
The Avatar prepares the spell bleeding.

uw2_024relk.jpg

Rounds 3-6:
Relk tries to fight back but dies from multiple bleedings.

Winner is the Avatar!

But I wonder how the people of Killorn Keep will react to the killing.

Mystell:

uw2_024Zrelkdeath.jpg

Lobar:

lobar.jpg
I heard of thy duel with Relk, my friend -- he was never well-liked here, and was ever quick to strike the first blow. I believe thou needst not fear reprisal.

helicopter.jpg
'Twas but a training accident, I swear!

lobar.jpg
Think nothing of it! Thou hast earned me a promotion, and eased the lives of many people here!

It's okay, the Avatar only kills bad people.

Time to rest, but I had another disturbing dream from the Guardian. This time fully voiced:

uw2_025dream.jpg

guardian.jpg
Greetings Avatar! My associates and I are embarking on a little vacation. I hear the beaches on Cove are nice.

guardian.jpg
As it is said on your world, wish thou wert here. *evil laughter*

The Red Muppet will be updating me on the progress of the invasion of Britannia.

uw2_025Zmap.jpg

Remember Lord British's castle?

uw2_025map.jpg

Killorn Keep is similar.
The funny thing about the auto mapping is that it reveals secret passages, like the one in the bottom south-west.

On the map, I'm at the stairs leading to the cellar, ready to go down.

uw2_026cellar.jpg

Killorn Keeps' cellar is a lot more dangerous than Lord British's. It has hostile giant rats and giant spiders.
The dungeon is small, the only things of interest are an ancient key and the oubliette.

uw2_027oubliette.jpg

The oubliette. ^
Nasty drop. There are two headless down there.
I can magically unlock the portcullis and drift down with the spell feather fall.

uw2_028secretdoor.jpg

But nearby in a room, there is actually a secret door leading down to the oubliette.
Right in front, can you see it? It is easier to see ingame.

uw2_029trap.jpg

The secret door opens to a tunnel leading to the bottom of the oubliette. At the top you can see the first opening I looked down from.
The floor at the end looks very suspicious.

therearefourlights1.jpg
There....Are...FOUR....Lights!

george.jpg
Strange... I see five. Including the Avatar's lantern of course.

Indeed... there are four candles, it's the old Four Magic Candles on the Reddish Square Trap!
I can disarm it by removing the four candles.
But it will be more fun if I walk into the trap instead.

uw2_030trapskull.jpg

The trap teleports me into the deathtrap dungeon. The skull is just a decor, but I must prepare for:

uw2_031trapcrush.jpg

The Crushing Floors of Despair!

uw2_032trapfireball.jpg

Gauntlets of deadly fireballs! Complete with a moving platform of doom!
With dials and switches which I must press ere I get crushed by the ceiling!

uw2_033imps.jpg

Vicious Imps shoot their magic arrows while I traverse the frictionless floors!

uw2_034walloffire.jpg

And finally, jump into the exit, a pit of lavaflames!

uw2_035oubliette.jpg

If that isn't enough, after escaping the deathtrap, I land amidst the two headless.

uw2_035Yheadless.jpg

(Insert headless pun here)

uw2_035Zgem.jpg

With the headless defeated, I picked up the blackrock gem. On the ground is a longsword of major accuracy as well.
I can now return to Nystul to treat the gem.
But one more thing:

uw2_036Asecretdoor.jpg

Remember the automap revealed a secret passage on the south-west side of the keep? Let's open it.
I follow a secret passage down the stairs.

uw2_036guard.jpg

It leads to a tunnel with a guard.

uw2_037guard.jpg

The Guardian himself? Who is this guy?

helicopter.jpg
Step aside -- I'm under orders from the Guardian.

daemonguard.jpg
Mark me! No one passes here, ever -- if thou wert meant to pass, the Guardian himself would have contacted me. Now, begone.

helicopter.jpg
Nay, I shall pass here by force, then.

daemonguard.jpg
I warn thee again -- I am more than I seem, and it will go ill with thee if thou dost fight me.

Silence, dog. Your only purpose is to die by my hand.

helicopter.jpg
Nevertheless -- you must let me pass, or I shall force my way through.

daemonguard.jpg
So be it!

:epic combat music plays:

I decide to engage in manly hand-to-hand combat.

uw2_038guardfight.jpg

Rounds 1-4:
Avatar barely scratches the guard with her jeweled sword of major damage.

uw2_038guardfightZ.gif

The guard, contrastingly, trashes the Avatar.

uw2_038Zguardfight.jpg

Rounds 5-8:
The Avatar, remembering she is a mage and not a warrior, with a few castings of bleedings kills the guard.

uw2_039daemon.jpg

The guard transform into a daemon! Its true form!

george.jpg
*Gasps*

:even more epic combat music plays:

uw2_040daemonZ.gif

*CRITICAL HIT*

uw2_040daemon.jpg

The Avatar draws on her remaining magicks and hurls it at the daemon.

uw2_041daemondies.jpg

Phew! That was a close one! Nearly expended all my mana.

uw2_042lockeddoor.jpg

Now for the door he is guarding. The ancient key I picked up in the cellar opens the door.

uw2_043brain.jpg

Is this the engine room? Two weird creatures hover in the room. Are they what is keeping the keep afloat?

uw2_044brain.jpg

They do not talk.
I wonder what will happen if I kill them?

uw2_044Zbraindies.jpg

These guys have powerful psionic attacks, but this one have no chance with my surprise attack at close range.
The ground starts shaking and I quickly ran back up the stairs.

uw2_045down.jpg

The guards are panicking!
Killorn Keep is falling down!

uw2_045Zdown.jpg

Not gonna die here! The exit is just ahead.

I leap through the blackrock portal just before the keep collapses.
I must be only one who can use the portal.

uw2_046destruction.jpg

Returning through the portal, this is what I see.

uw2_047destruction.jpg

uw2_048destruction.jpg

thibrisold.jpg
lobarold.jpg
mystellold.jpg
altaraold.jpg
greeterold.jpg
kilguardold.jpg
kilsoliderold.jpg

ogriold.jpg
chirlold.jpg
merzanold.jpg
bishayold.jpg
aronold.jpg
kintartaold.jpg
trilkhaiold.jpg

*Achievement unlocked: Kill everyone in Killorn Keep.*

I've killed a couple of important NPCs, as well as interfering with several future events. Honesty I'm not sure how the game and quests will turn out.

richard.jpg
I refuse to let the game derail like this. *force reload*

thibris.jpg
lobar.jpg
mystell.jpg
altara.jpg
greeter.jpg
kilguard.jpg
kilsolider.jpg

ogri.jpg
chirl.jpg
merzan.jpg
bishay.jpg
aron.jpg
kintarta.jpg
trilkhai.jpg

Hey!

someone else

Arcane
Patron
lordbritish.jpg

Part 4.5: World 2 - Killorn Keep. Return To Castle British.

Whoa I hit the post limit and had to split this in twain. It didn't happen during preview.

Instead of knocking down the keep, I return to Lord British's castle.

uw2_049greathall.jpg

I submit my report to Miranda as usual.

helicopter.jpg
What is the current situation in the castle?

miranda.jpg
To be frank, Avatar, I am most concerned about our water supply! Even if we shut off the fountain in the courtyard, we are still going to have to conserve as much as possible.

helicopter.jpg
How are the castle personnel doing?

miranda.jpg
Our people are doing all right, so far. Come to think of it, Feridwyn seems to have something on his mind, and Sir Dupre has been so restless lately! He is always drawing his sword and sheathing it again! Perhaps thou couldst find some way for him to help thee.

No thanks, I don't want to play with his sword.

uw2_049Zferi.jpg

So I talk to Feridwyn instead:

feridwyn.jpg
Avatar, canst we not do something about Patterson? He is without doubt the most inane fellow I have encountered in my life!

Does he ask inane questions?

helicopter.jpg
Has he been bothering thee?

feridwyn.jpg
He hath been a constant pest, and methinks not only to me. Many others have been complaining about him. If his behavior continues, I shall have stern words for the man.

helicopter.jpg
Thine opinions are of little value to me.

*Feridwyn graces you with a cold smile*

feridwyn.jpg
The feeling is mutual, Avatar.

uw2_049Ztoadflips.jpg

The inane Mayor Patterson:

patterson.jpg
'Tis disheartening, Avatar -- I try to help the others out, but it never seems to come out right! Now it seems like the whole castle is avoiding me. 'Tis strange to feel so alone, when trapped in a castle with a score of other humans.

helicopter.jpg
Really, I must be going!

patterson.jpg
Well, I guess I shall see thee later...

uw2_050british.jpg

Hopefully Lord British has decided what to do with the revolting (bleh!) servants.

uw2_050Cbritish.jpg

Good! I can tell Nanna the news.

uw2_050Dnanna.jpg

Excellent! I can now get Nystul to do his mojo on the blackrock gem I picked from Killorn Keep.

enchanting.jpg

Nystul also has some information on the blackrock gem:

nystul.jpg
So, the small gem thou didst find merged with the larger! This bodes well for us!

helicopter.jpg
Why did the gems merge?

nystul.jpg
The Guardian is a careless spellcaster! The tiny gem in the in the other world is an echo in the ether just like the Gateway Gem, an echo of the first, enormous sphere he placed on our world.

helicopter.jpg
How can this help us?

nystul.jpg
As these echoes come together, they begin to build into a shout, which may bring this gem tumbling right down around our ears!

My goal is to visit all the worlds and collect the blackrock gems. But is that sufficient to bring down the prison?

uw2_051gem.jpg

I return to the Gateway Gem, and prepare to enter the third world.

Preview:
title1.jpg

richard.jpg
And prepare for combat. Lots of it.

george.jpg
Well bravo! I'm so excited, I think I'll change to my battledress.

Less text for me to copy as well.

Current stats:
Level 10
Offensive spells:
Level 1 - Magic arrow
Level 2 - Cause fear
Level 3 - Bleeding
Level 5 - Smite Undead

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That banner convo with Orgi looked weird until I realised the lord of the castle is centuries old. Still, it's kinda weird how he brings it up.

Oh well. Writing.

Bravo! plz more Blackadder refs, plz.

Silellak

Cipher
Yay! Fantastic LP is fantastic.

Perhaps it's just another obscure pop culture reference.

I don't think this is really a spoiler, but I'll go ahead and tag it as such anyway:

Just in case you didn't know, the "Trilkhai" are a reference to the "Kilrathi" race from Wing Commander (note that "Trilkhai" is an anagram of "Kilrathi"), and I guess the implication is that the "Trilkhai" are the future of the Kilrathi race, though somehow I doubt this is canon or anything.

This isn't the first Ultima reference to the Kilrathi - there's a Kilrathi ship in Ultima 7 (complete with the Kilrathi musical cue from WC2) and the farmer nearby mentions a cat-like creature who wanted someone to "Kill Wrathy".

Apparently it's even been inferred that the "alien ships" you go into space to fight in Ultima 1 are actually Kilrathi, and I guess there's no reason that couldn't be the case. It makes about as much sense as anything else in Ultima 1.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Mighty Mouse said:
I'm not going to start taking advice from a talking cat am I?

Ahem.

<-----

Thanks for keeping this up. I'm getting a huge nostalgia trip by reading this.

Another method to solve the "oubliette" trap is to use Telekinesis to simply grab the gem from behind the Obvious Trap of Obviousness. You'd propably need a stronger light source to see it properly, though.

Andhaira

Arcane
You're making good progress with the LP mightiest of mouses. How do you find the playing as a mage compared to a previous play where you played a warrior? Easier, harder, the same etc?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
AndhairaX said:
How do you find the playing as a mage compared to a previous play where you played a warrior? Easier, harder, the same etc?
Mage is slightly easier if I pick up the chain cowl of Valor. I can easily kill moderately difficult creatures like headless with weapons wearing it. Another advantage is starting with the Mani (life) rune, though a paladin can start with it if magic skill is not below other skills.

As for the Trilkhai, near the end of the game, you can complete Blackie's quest which gives more info on their race IIRC.

I think I can squeeze 2 updates in one page but feel free to comment so it will be easier to push to the next page.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just play it now. I just played it myself a year ago. Still very playable.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, you're right. I mean, I've been a fan of the Ultima and Wing Commander series both, from when I played them the first time (Ultima VI and the original Wing Commander), so I should love this one.

I just remember being put off by what I considered "Beholder's Eye"ish graphics. Gotten over that now though.

This game available for purchase without blowing the budget?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I seem to recall some dual-pack of UW1 and UW2 that usually didn't cost much. Mind you, this was on eBay.

jefklak

Scholar
Really awesome stuff you've got goin' on here, Mighty Mouse.
I really love this, keep it up please!

I'll try to do something similar with M&MVI if I have some time left. Someday.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
georgeww1.jpg
Tally-ho! Barf! Barf! New uniforms for the the battles ahead eh? Private Baldrick?

baldrickww1.jpg
Nice to see the Lieutenant. But the Captain's still not here yet.

georgeww1.jpg
Still changing eh? Those Starfleet uniforms are sure hard to get into. Oh well, while we wait, let me read you a parable from The Book of Fellowship, by Batlin of Britain of Ultima VII.

The Old Man and the Bandits.

parable1.jpg

Batlin.gif
On the road leading out of Britain, I met a man bent with age, but still possessed of keen wit. As we walked he shared with me his tale, and I in turn shall share it with thee.

During a stroll through the woods one day, this man was kidnapped by a group of vicious bandits. The poor man had just left his nephew’s family and had no one else in the world. Woe to them who have been kidnapped when they have no one to pay their ransom! The bandits soon began to loathe their captive and did make plans to kill him.

One wanted to hang him, while another wanted to stab him. Still another wanted to burn him at the stake while yet a fourth wanted to tie rocks about his waist and throw him in the river. So angry did they wax in their disagreement over what manner of violence to use, that they did break into an awful, bloody row.

And so it was that this old man did escape from the bandits, who were distracted with their brawling. Upon noticing their victim was gone, they continued to fight, this time over whose fault it had been, until all of them lay dead, murdered by each others’ hand.

This old man was later reunited with his nephew’s family and all were joyous of it. For as he had learned, Unity is essential for survival, and unlike those reckless bandits, he still wished to live for a good many years yet.

baldrickww1.jpg
This story reminds me of a Hobbit and some trolls.

georgeww1.jpg
The Fellowship doesn't sound all that bad actually.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
icecave.jpg

Part 5: World 3 - Ice Cavern.

Now totally and utterly bonkeroonie.

baldrickww1.jpg
The Captain still isn't back.

georgeww1.jpg
Well, we don't need his dumb developer comments, let's start this show without him!

baldrickww1.jpg
Hurray!

georgeww1.jpg
But this LP is getting rather boring, I mean, LPs that just say "I went here" and "I did this" and "yay, I'm a evil dick" wear thin after a while.

georgeww1.jpg
Perhaps we should introduce Charlie Chaplin as a special guest commentator.

baldrickww1.jpg
Do not fear Lieutenant for I have a cunning plan to make this LP more interesting.

georgeww1.jpg
Oh spiffing! Let's hear it Private.

baldrickww1.jpg
Instead of copying actual speech from the game characters. The Avatar, npcs as well as famous real or fictional persons such as the Lieutenant and myself will improvise and say made-up funny, witty (at least to the author) and hackneyed dialogues that have absolutely no relevance with the game.

georgeww1.jpg
Do you mean we should turn this into a fanfiction?

baldrickww1.jpg
Yes.

georgeww1.jpg
Hurray! What a brilliant idea! Let's see now, the Captain still isn't back so let's give him a surprise when he returns.

***Five minutes later***

helicopter.jpg
We are going to do what?

georgeww1.jpg
Something lively and interesting for once, a fanfiction starship LP! Here are the roles Baldrick and I came up with:

georgeww1.jpg
The Avatar will be the Communications Officer.

uhura.jpg
Well finally a decent looking Avatar.

georgeww1.jpg
Counselor Tory will be the ship's Counselor.

tory.jpg
Suddenly wearing red doesn't seem like such a good idea.

georgeww1.jpg
We need some sort of annoying Mary Sue character for the Navigator.

georgeww1.jpg
Lord British will be Ensign British!

british.jpg
And I have real life space experience too!

tory.jpg
Shut up Ensign. We are not going into space.

georgeww1.jpg
I shall be the Chief Medical Officer.

house.jpg
I'm a doctor not a director!

house.jpg
Just testing! :D

house.jpg
And Private Baldrick will be our Tactical Officer.

baldrickww1.jpg
Does that mean I get to go to the Officers' Mess?

house.jpg
I prefer if you keep your mess private Baldrick.

uhura.jpg
Is it wise to let him handle our weapons and defences?

house.jpg
Well, you were able to defeat the gazers with his cunning battle plan didn't you?

uhura.jpg
Of course.

house.jpg
As the Captain is not aboard, and I am the most senior officer, I shall take command of this vessel.

house.jpg
Right, stand by your beds! And prepare to explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilisations, to boldly go where no LP has gone before!

helicopter.jpg

uw2_000ship1.jpg

uw2_000ship2.jpg

uhura.jpg
I see we are going with the original series cheesy special effects. Can't wait to see how bad this fanfiction will turn out to be.

picardanimate.gif
Worst fanfiction ever begins!

uw2_001entry.jpg

house.jpg
Jumpingtheshark log 1: We have arrived at world 3, a land of ice and snow in search of the Guardian's blackrock gem. The walls give off a natural light, thus there is no need for the lantern.

house.jpg
Ensign British, heading south, walk factor 2.

british.jpg
Aye Aye Sir.

baldrickww1.jpg
Sir, our sensors thingy indicate a small vessel on intercept course and closing fast.

house.jpg
On screen.

uw2_002screen.jpg

house.jpg
Hail them, all channels, all frequencies.

uw2_003noresponse.jpg

uw2_004uhura.jpg
No response sir.

baldrickww1.jpg
The wormy thingy is picking up speed sir!

house.jpg
Shields up, red alert! Counselor?

tory.jpg
I am sensing great hostility and hunger.

baldrickww1.jpg
It wants us for breakfast! Recommend firing one of those Proton Torpedoes sir!

british.jpg
Photon Torpedoes Private. This isn't Star Wars.

house.jpg
Yes, let's give them some of our Britannia spunk. Fire Photon Torpedoes, maximum yield, full spread, brightest bloom.

baldrickww1.jpg
…

uhura.jpg
You heard the Lieutenant, fire the torpedoes.

house.jpg
Oh that's my cue.

*Grabs Baldrick's collar*

house.jpg
I'm in charge here Baldrick! I gave you an order and you damn well gonna follow it!

baldrickww1.jpg
I can't! I don't understand what you are talking about!

uhura.jpg
Just press “f” Private, I remap the keys on dosbox.

baldrickww1.jpg
This button?

uw2_005wormdies.gif

baldrickww1.jpg
Direct hit... no visible damage.

uw2_006housefacepalm.jpg
He's dead Jim.

leondegrance.jpg
What is going on around here? Why are you facepalming? Only I can do that! Stop this foolishness at once!

georgeww1.jpg
Tally-ho Cappy! Just preparing a little surprise for you. We were expecting you to be wearing your uniform though. You are even more heavily armoured than the Avatar!

leondegrance.jpg
Have you forgotten the Prime Directive Lieutenant?

georgeww1.jpg
Is it to make more pop culture references than Fallout 2 and to turn this into a fanfiction LP?

leondegrance.jpg
No, it's to make more pop culture references than Fallout 2 and not to turn this into a fanfiction LP.

georgeww1.jpg
So I got it half right then.

leondegrance.jpg
Do not meddle with Ultima Underworld II, the game will stand or fall on its own feet.

leondegrance.jpg
I'm so sorry Avatar, please continue, we will only observe and not interfere.

georgeww1.jpg
Alrighty then, let's end this. Private Baldrick, initiate self-destruct sequence.

leondegrance.jpg
Make it stop.

picardanimate.gif
Worst fanfiction ever ends.

helicopter.jpg
*Sigh* Back to this Avatar.

Listen to Ultima Underworld 2 "Ice Cavern":

http://beemp3.com/download.php?file=4536262&song=Ice+Cavern

uw2_007blood.jpg

I'm near the entrance and I see a trail of blood leading into the darkness.
Perhaps the new spell night vision will let me see further.

uw2_008nv.jpg

Indeed I can see further, I start following the trail.

leondegrance.jpg
Black & white vision? How quaint. I prefer Night-eye:

uw2_009oblivionnv.jpg

Blue is the new bee and double-u.

uw2_010skel.jpg

The trail of blood leads to some skeletons.

uw2_011skel.jpg

Who on Earth will want to play a game in black & white? Dispelling night vision.
One skeleton is approaching me. A good opportunity to try my new 5th level spell, smite undead with the runes AN CORP MANI or "Negate Death Life".

uw2_012skeldies.gif

The spell means instant death for skeletons.

uw2_013skeldies.jpg

I took out the rest with my sword. Easy fight.

uw2_014camp.jpg

The skeletons were carrying backpacks. Were they the ones who built the camp? Did some curse cause them to rise from the dead?
I examine their belongings and find a journal that shed some light on who they were and where I am:

The journal says:
We have found the entrance to the cave which we believe to contain the lost city of Anodunos, long frozen by our first ice age. Presently, we are searching for a place to camp which is safe from the many hostile ice creatures here.

They also have a WIS rune, which means "Knowledge". This allows me to cast name enchantment to identify items.

uw2_015map.jpg

They also have a map with some notes which I copy onto my own map.
Vicious snowball-throwing yeti? Someone brought the lulz.

With the map, exploration of the upper caverns is made so much easier.
But this place has natural hazards as well.

uw2_016icecrack.gif

Cracked ice ground can collapse under me, dumping me into freezing water.
If you are dumb, you can lure monsters over cracked ice and try to drown your XP.

uw2_017ccslide.gif

Some icy surfaces are frictionless and I can only slide uncontrollably until I reach ground with more traction.

leondegrance.jpg
Charlie Chaplin? What on Earth is the projectionist doing?

blackadder.jpg
Sorry sir, my fault, wrong reel.

Never mind that, looks like I have some company:

uw2_018cat.jpg

baldrickww1.jpg
Look Lieutenant, a cute kitty, I wonder if it wants to play.

georgeww1.jpg
Maybe it's one of those telepathic cats?

uw2_019catfight.gif

Ferocious feline!

uw2_020snowcatdies.gif

Look, the kitty can do backflips. This should go on YouTube.

Wait...

Listen... do you smell something?

uw2_021yeti.jpg

There's the stinker! One of those snowball-throwing yeti the explorers wrote about.

uw2_022yetibeat.gif

It is a fiercely territorial creature.

leondegrance.jpg
Look at the way he beats his chest.

baldrickww1.jpg
My mother told about these yetis, "don't let them catch you," she said, they'll have their wicked way with anything of woman-born.

I'll be extra careful. But you should be safe from them.

uw2_023yetisnowball1.gif

The snowballs the yeti throws can be picked up and thrown back.

georgeww1.jpg
Grab those snowballs Baldrick, it's a snowball fight!

After scoring several hits on the yeti, it still doesn't look hurt. I shall venture closer and cast study monster with the runes WIS MANI or "Knowledge Life".

uw2_023Zknowyeti.jpg

The spell Study Monster give us the current vitality, special attacks and resistance of a creature.
The yeti starts with 50 vitality, this shows that my snowballs have little effect.

I shall attack it with my sword.

uw2_024wampa.gif

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum and –- erm.

leondegrance.jpg
What the devil's wrong with the projectionist?

blackadder.jpg
I thought you might enjoy something from your past sir.

leondegrance.jpg
I don't remember any laser swords or yeti, you must have mistaken me for James T. Kirk.

uw2_025yetifight.gif

Eh, I prefer the previous clip.

uw2_026yetidies.gif

Finish him!
His treasures are all mine, I can even pick up and keep the snowballs he threw.

baldrickww1.jpg
Look Lieutenant, I got balls of snow.

georgeww1.jpg
So do I Private, 'tis freezing in here.

uw2_027stairsdown.jpg

Near the yeti are the stairs down to the second level.

georgeww1.jpg
Aren't you going down?

No, I shall return to the Prison Tower and identify my collection of arms, armour, wands and potions using the new found WIS rune.

uw2_028exit.jpg

I exit the Ice Cavern through the blackrock portal.

uw2_029sewers.jpg

And find that the sewers in Britannia has started to freeze.
The situation is getting worse the further I venture into the gems.

uw2_030trade.jpg

With the WIS rune, I identify all my items and trade the unwanted ones for gold in Killorn Keep.

uw2_031identify.jpg

I have quite a number of wands but most of them have useless spells.

uw2_032inventory.jpg

To make room for more loot I decided to switch to leather armour.
With a leather vest of additional protection.
Leather leggings of stealth.
Chain cowl of valor.
Plus a heavy tower shield.
I swap my jeweled sword of major damage for a long sword of major accuracy. My weak combat skills makes to-hit more important.
And I equip the Guardian signet ring I took from Relk's corpse in Killorn Keep.

I took two wands, a wand of lightning with 5 charges and a wand of deadly seeker with 12 charges. Deadly seekers deal little damage but they have homing capabilities.

This frees up 30 stones for plunder.

uw2_033dirt.jpg

Descending to the second level of the Ice Cavern, I spot a side passage untouched by frost.

uw2_034man.jpg

A man is at the end of the passage.

uw2_035mokpo.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Hello there, I am Helicopter.

mokpo.jpg
I am Mokpo the Mad, as if that mattered, for thou art just another shade, another pointless vision.

helicopter.jpg
Why don't you believe in what you see?

mokpo.jpg
As if I needed a reason! But I have proof, if you want it -- this solid-seeming stone is all a facade -- a mere flip of a lever, touch of a button, it changes, morphs, vanishes! Look in the maze, and thou shalt see!

helicopter.jpg
What maze?

*He laughs.*

mokpo.jpg
Simpleton! It's ALL maze in this shadow-world. A toy maze of sharp stones and vicious monkeys, for some mad child-god's amusement.

helicopter.jpg
Hey, I'm real!

mokpo.jpg
Real? You? This world, this travesty of stone and ice, dirt and cold water? This mock-up, peopled with brutal apes? Don't make me laugh!

helicopter.jpg
What apes are these?

mokpo.jpg
The only warm creature in all this darkness. I slew one once, caught it sleeping. The meat fed me a month, its fur warmed me 'til I lost it in a cave-in. It matters not, 'tis all illusion.

helicopter.jpg
Why are the yeti hostile?

mokpo.jpg
Something's stirred them up of late -- doubtless they've found some new bauble to fight each other for. Fools, to believe there is anything of value here!

helicopter.jpg
Is there nothing of worth here? Is it that bad?

mokpo.jpg
Not so bad? The nights I've spend here, shivering on the damp, fearing every minute to see that flash of white, the yeti running in the darkness. If I thought that were real, well...

helicopter.jpg
But it IS real. I swear it!

mokpo.jpg
I can see what's real! If you could see it... shining colors, fabulous beasts, vast plains of light, great pillars reaching up into the blackness. It's so wonderful -- nothing could be more real!

helicopter.jpg
Why not live there then?

mokpo.jpg
It never stays! Five minutes, an hour, three hours I wander there, then I return here, banished from the true world! Exiles to this... tawdry illusion. Of late the visions have become ever shorter, ever rarer. 'Tis bitter!

helicopter.jpg
Instead of wandering in rags, why not try and improve thy life here? Build a fire...

whiteadder.jpg
Cold is God's way of telling us to BURN more Catholics!

mokpo.jpg
Why bother, when the real world is so close at hand? Why play games in this illusory hell! 'Tis not worth it! I could build a fire, but the yeti would see it and kill me. 'Tis nothing but peril and frustration!

helicopter.jpg
Thou art right. Tell me more of thy world.

*His eyes unfocus, and he seems to be in a trance.*

mokpo.jpg
I see it before me now! An endless walkway glowing blue! I leap, and am thrown high into the air... the scene fades... now a golden maze... I scramble up on top of the walls. Now I see the goal...!

georgeww1.jpg
Mad as a bicycle.

helicopter.jpg
Tell me more of what it is like there.

*His eyes unfocus, and he seems to be in a trance.*

mokpo.jpg
Fire! A glorious, infernal city, fountains spraying blood, winged demons swoop, I battle through them, and win a deadly sceptre...

mokpo.jpg
It fades, and I return here. 'Tis ever thus.

helicopter.jpg
Thank thee for sharing thy world with me.

mokpo.jpg
Fare thee well... that is, if such formalities can mean aught to a shadow!

I am tempted to put him out of his misery, but maybe I can find a way help him.

uw2_036map.jpg

Here's the map, I'm west of a slippery patch of ice, it stretches into the darkness to the east.
Time for some ice skating.

uw2_037slide.gif

Whee! Blackrock gem!

Don't worry, I can get the gem with the spells telekinesis or jump.

Now that I have the gem, I can return to the castle but I do desire to see this lost city of Anodunos.

uw2_038river.jpg

I hop across the river to the eastern shore.

uw2_039yeti.jpg

When I approach a narrow opening, a snowball narrowly missed me.

uw2_040yeti.jpg

Three yetis!

uw2_041yeti.jpg

georgeww1.jpg
The Avatar looks like she's getting into a very sticky situation.

And loving it.

uw2_042yeti.jpg

leondegrance.jpg
These are just Great Trolls (remember Garg?) with a different colour palette. Damn budget cuts.

uw2_044yeti.jpg

Fortunately these Yetis are weaker than Great Trolls, they have exactly the same stats as headless except that they have a heavily armoured head.

uw2_045yetidies.jpg

Today is a good day for you to die!

uw2_046mud.jpg

These Yeti live near some special mud flats. Unique to this location.

uw2_047dam.jpg

With little of interest other than mud, I travel north and arrive at a dam.

uw2_048dam.jpg

With a slope leading back up to the previous level right beside it.

uw2_049icegolem.jpg

The path up leads to a small chamber with a locked door and an Ice Golem guard.

uw2_050icegolemtalk.jpg

The golem speaks as I draw near.

helicopter.jpg
Who are you?

sentinel.jpg
I am Sentinel Construct 868. My duty is to protect the controls to the dam.

helicopter.jpg
Who is allowed through the door?

sentinel.jpg
I am ordered to only allow the two operators of the dam controls to pass, and they may only pass together, as each operator only knows half the combination to the controls.

helicopter.jpg
What is beyond the door?

sentinel.jpg
Beyond lie the controls to the dam in the reservoir of Anodunos.

helicopter.jpg
Anodunos?

sentinel.jpg
Anodunos is the city I serve.

helicopter.jpg
I must pass through this door!

sentinel.jpg
You may not! Leave immediately or I will be required to use force!

uw2_051icegolemfight.jpg

sentinel.jpg
YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

uw2_052icegolemdies.gif

Pick your Arnie one-liner.

1. Hasta la vista baby.
2. Chill out, dickwad.
3. Here is Sentinel Construct 868, now Sentinel Destruct Zero.
4. You're fired.
5. Ice to see you!

baldrickww1.jpg
georgeww1.jpg
3!
blackadder.jpg
5!

blackadder.jpg
You bastards!

uw2_052Zplainzero.jpg
Here is Sentinel Construct 868, now Sentinel Destruct Zero.

leondegrance.jpg
That was awful.

uw2_052Zplainzero.jpg
Hey wetpants! I'm not the one who wrote this.

uw2_053icegolemdoor.jpg

The destroyed golem drops the key to the door.

uw2_054icegolemtrap.jpg

An alternative solution is to just pick the door open or cast the open spell and evade the golem who cannot fit through the door.
All this fighting is tiring me out. time for a rest.
Got another dream from the Guardian:

uw2_055dream.jpg

guardian.jpg
My troops encounter thy friend the Lord Draxinusom.

guardian.jpg
I shall sent thy regards.

The Lord Draxinusom is the gargoyle flying on the right for those who don't know Ultima.

uw2_056bridge.jpg

The door opens to a river and a bridge heading east.

uw2_057bridge.jpg

Which doubles back across the river.

uw2_058control.jpg

To the Dam Control Access, a column with four control panels. A switch, a chain, a button and a lever.
Yes, it is ye olde school RPG puzzle!

uw2_059note.jpg

Near the controls are human remains with a note:
uw2_060note.gif
Instru...m control
Manipu...auses th...ze to chan...wo step process. To get the ke...ake sure the lever..ch and chain are all...To rea...oor, lower the...nd switch, and pres...walk through the force f...to maze...stroy this note aft...else we'll both hang.

Much of this note is smudged and unreadable.

My attempt to fill in the blanks:

uw2_060note.gif
Instructions for dam control.
Manipulating the controls causes the maze to change. It's a two step process. To get the key make sure the lever, switch and chain are all in the out position.
To reach the dam control door, lower the lever and switch, and press the button, walk through the force field which will teleport you to maze. Destroy this note afterwards else we'll both hang.

I push and pull the controls to configure the maze to allow me to reach the key.

uw2_060teleport.jpg

Behind the Dam Control Access is the teleporter to the maze.

uw2_061maze.jpg

There are no monsters in the maze.

uw2_062key.jpg

The key in the maze.

uw2_063door.jpg

Exiting the maze, I reconfigure the controls to reach a door which I unlock with the key.

uw2_064floodgatecontrol.jpg

Inside, I toggle the floodgate controls.

uw2_065map.jpg

Let's take a look at the map of the maze.

But before I return to the dam...

uw2_060teleport.jpg

I drop down the side of this bridge.

uw2_066drain.jpg

And discover a drain.

uw2_067passage.jpg

Which leads me to a secret passage.

uw2_068cave.jpg

With a cave containing a ghost and a ring of protection.

georgeww1.jpg
Equip the ring.

Hai!

uw2_069dam.jpg

Returning to the dam, the open floodgates created a river which melted the snow,

uw2_070passage.jpg

opening the way to the city of Anodunos.

uw2_071city.jpg

Behold! The lost city of Anodunos!

The Guardian taunts me when I enter the city.

guardian.jpg
Perhaps thou seest thou future here.

uw2_072beatrice.jpg

A dire ghost floats above the city.

beatrice-1.jpg

uw2_073beatricetalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
I am Helicopter. Who art thou?

beatrice.jpg
I am Beatrice. When there was city here, I ruled it.

beatrice.jpg
Anodunos was once a great city-state, a trading center of the southern continent, famed for its rich filanium deposits, We were losing a war with the northern city-states, and our sorcerors sought aid from the being called the Guardian.

helicopter.jpg
I know him well -- a mighty and implacable foe.

beatrice.jpg
So we learned. He won our war for us -- made us lords of this world for a time. But he demanded things in return -- first supplies, then weapons, finally soldiers and slaves. Too late, we understood the nature of our ally.

helicopter.jpg
Surely you rebelled -- fought back?

beatrice.jpg
Eventually we refused his demands, but by that time we had helped him gain too much power on our world. He crushed our nation utterly, as you see.

How prophetic, the fate of those acquired by the Guardian.

helicopter.jpg
I must ask -- how exactly did he attack you?

beatrice.jpg
I still remember the day the city fell; at midday the fountain in the town square froze in an instant. We all stared. The next minute we felt the cold air flowing outwards; eventually, the entire continent had frozen under.

helicopter.jpg
What became of thee?

beatrice.jpg
After the city fell, I... remained, somehow, nursing the last citydwellers into death, as the glaciers came, then the yeti. Since that time I have wandered the cold and silent streets. I know not how long it has been.

helicopter.jpg
What is filanium?

beatrice.jpg
Filanium is a rare mineral used in many medical and alchemical preparations. The mud in this area is particulary rich in it -- many bathed there, believing it a health measure.

helicopter.jpg
Where can this mud be found?

beatrice.jpg
'Tis far, far to the southeast of here, on the other side of the river, across what was once a smooth lake -- but beware the yeti who have made their home there.

helicopter.jpg
Is there anything I can do to help thee?

beatrice.jpg
Ever since the city fell, I have had a feeling of the Guardian's presence here -- as if he were somehow feeding, drawing some sort of sustenance from the power of the city. It maddens me to think of it.

helicopter.jpg
I shall remedy this evil if I can.

beatrice.jpg
I thank thee -- 'tis a long time since I met with any kindness in this place. Perhaps if the Guardian were banished from this place, I might find rest at last.

Anodunos is a prize, with riches yet to be plundered and they are all mine!

uw2_074mageshop.jpg

First stop is Alorik's Sorcerous Emporium. Lying on the ground is a scroll mentioning some Ultima reagents plus something called dream-spice.

uw2_075switch.jpg

Searching the wall reveals a secret switch.

uw2_076vault.jpg

Which opens Alorik's vault containing a sceptre of Mana Boost as well as some runes including the GRAV "Energy" rune which allows me to cast lightning.

uw2_077orb.jpg

The crystal orb gives further visions:

uw2_078orb.gif
You see yourself climbing to the peak of Olympus Mons on the planet Mars.

uw2_078orb.gif
You see yourself in the Deep Forest, speaking with the peace-loving simian race of Emps.

The first three images are from past Ultimas.

uw2_078orb.gif
You see yourself peering into a crystal ball.

uw2_078orb.gif
You see yourself winding a great war horn in the throne room of Castle British.

Oh noes! Spoilerz!

uw2_078orb.gif
You see yourself sailing through majestic pillars cropping up out of the sea, on a voyage of discovery.

uw2_078orb.gif
You see the obscure form of an old and dear friend, as he sacrifices his life for the good of all.

Good thing I can't see Ultima VIII or IX.

uw2_079dreamspice.jpg

Amongst the other buildings I spot some strange plants growing near some bones.
During my adventure, I heard tales of a strange plant that can give dream visions.
I'm going to try eating one and sleep.

uw2_080dream.jpg

My dreams are strange indeed.

uw2_081dream.jpg

I'm in the Ethereal Void! This is the Shrine of Spirituality!
There's a hollow space in the gravestone.

uw2_082dream.jpg

I find a blackrock gem in the gravestone, but I can't access my inventory.
I decided to throw the gem through the pillars surrounding the shrine.
And then I woke up.

uw2_083weapons.jpg

In another building I find a broadsword of poison weapon and a mace of major damage.

uw2_084exit.jpg

That is all I can do in this world for now. I shall return to my base and dump my plunder. But before I return to Lord British's castle, I have some unfinished business with the reaper in the sewers.

uw2_085reaperdies.gif

Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Sleep!

baldrickww1.jpg
What are those grey rubbish heaps around the reaper? They weren't there the last time.

leondegrance.jpg
Those are plants burnt by lightning, spells can destroy items so the Avatar has to be careful.

Time to return to the castle and let Nystul treat the new blackrock gem.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
georgeww1.jpg
But before the next episode, a list of persons compiled by Nystul in his manuscript: A Safe Passage Through Britannia.

british.jpg

LORD BRITISH heads the Great Council. Like the Avatar, he is a native of the world called Earth, and as a result he enjoys a much longer lifespan than native Britannians. Since the earliest days of Sosaria he has lead his people, and through his great wisdom gradually rose to become Britannia's philosopher-king.

draxinusom.gif

LORD DRAXINUSOM is still titular head of the Gargoyle nation, even though the organization of the Gargoyle people has grown more and more diffuse since they were forced to move to Britannia. All still respect him as a wise ruler who saw his people through their most difficult period.

dupre.jpg

SIR DUPRE, who recently became a Knight of the Realm, has been a battle-companion to the Avatar since the days of Exodus. He is as dependable a fighter (and drinking companion) as one could wish for.

feridwyn.jpg

FERIDWYN, a native of Paws, has only recently been acknowledged as one of Britannia's most philanthropic citizens. A former Fellowship member, he is one of the few who actually succeeded in using The Fellowship's resources for the good of the community, by establishing a shelter for the destitute.

geoffrey.jpg

GEOFFREY first achieved fame fighting at the Stranger's side during the Quest of the Avatar. In recent years he has become one of Lord British's most trusted aides, as well as his chief bodyguard.

iolo.jpg

IOLO the bard has been a companion to the Avatar since the days of Mondain's assault. Like the Avatar and Lord British, he was born on Earth, although he has chosen to spend his life here in Britannia.

julia.jpg

JULIA the tinker is widely known as a mechanical genius, in addition to the fame of her heroic conduct in the recent time of crises in Britannia. Her temper, too, is legendary.

miranda.jpg

MIRANDA is one of only three women on the Great Council of Britannia, and is perhaps the most progressive of Britannia's leaders. She is an outspoken supporter of an equal role for women in Britannian society, and also serves with distinction in ameliorating Britannia's environmental crises.

nelson.jpg

NELSON, although temporarily in Britain, heads the Lycaeum at Moonglow, and is widely considered to be the most accomplished scholar in Britannia, with the possible exception of the Gargoyle Inforlem.

nystul.jpg

I, NYSTUL must perforce, though with humility and with no small amount of embarrassment, include my own name in the account, as Court Magician to Lord British.

patterson.jpg

PATTERSON is mayor of the town of Britain, largest city in Britannia. Although Patterson was elected largely due to his extensive backing from The Fellowship, he has since proved himself a worthy and able mayor, and retained his office after The Fellowship was dissolved.

tory.jpg

LADY TORY is a person of remarkable empathic ability. A resident of Serpent's Hold, she is frequently sought out for advice on personal matters.

A few others are not mentioned in the manuscript:

syria.jpg

SYRIA is master of the Library of Scars. The Library of Scars is the most admired Fighter guild in the city of Jhelom.

guardmale.jpg
guardfemale.jpg

Various guards in Lord British's castle.

fissif.jpg

FISSIF, a thief and a palindrome.

nanna.jpg

NANNA, the head servant, who broke many a pre-patch UW2 games with her buggy servant strike.

nell.jpg

NELL, a revolting servant.

charles.jpg

CHARLES, a pointless peasant.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Two updates in a day! Or maybe I just split one in two.

Part 6: Blood Stained Stones.

Listen to Ultima series "Stones":

http://www.joxter.net/stones/stoneslaz.mp3

From The Stones Archive:

http://www.joxter.net/

Lyrics:

Long ago ran the sun on a folk who had a dream
And the heart and the will and the power:
They moved the earth; they carved the stone; moulded hill and channeled stream
That we might stand on the wide plains of Wiltshire

Now men asked who they were, how they built and wonder why
That they wrought standing stones of such size
What was done 'neath our shade? What was pray'ed 'neath our skies
As we stood on the wyrd plains of Wiltshire

Oh what secrets we could tell if you'd listen and be still
Rid the stink and the noise from our skirts
But you haven't got the clue and perhaps you never will
Mute we stand on the cold plains of Wiltshire

Still we loom in the mists as the ages roll away
And we say of our folk, "they are here!"
That they built us and they died and you'll not be knowing why
Save we stand on the bare plains of Wiltshire

Composed by Iolo Fitz'Owen
Lyrics by Gwenno Fitz'Owen
Performed by Jared Ellsworth

uw2_000Amiranda.jpg

After killing the reaper, I return to the castle and report to Miranda.

miranda.jpg
Well, it seems Nystul had something to say to thee, and Patterson has seemed rather anxious lately -- thou shouldst talk to him.

*A Guard appears*

guardmale.jpg
Er...Lady Miranda?

miranda.jpg
Yes? What is it, Jenner? I am having an important discussion with the Avatar!

guardmale.jpg
I hardly know hot to say this... but Lady Tory...

miranda.jpg
Yes? Out with it!

guardmale.jpg
Julia just found her, ma'am. I...she's been killed.

helicopter.jpg
How did this happen?

guardmale.jpg
Er, it seems she was stabbed, ma'am. In her room.

miranda.jpg
Helicopter, thou hadst better go at once and investigate this. I shall inform the others.

I shall go to the crime scene at once.

uw2_000tory.gif

I come across my companions, Dupre and Iolo on my way there.
dupre.jpg
iolo.jpg

uw2_001dupre.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Yes, I have heard of the tragedy.

dupre.jpg
Whoever the agent, I hold the Guardian responsible! Some day soon there must be reckoning with that red miscreant.

iolo.jpg
I cannot believe it -- Tory, struck down in the very midst of the castle! I can't believe one of us would do such a thing.

helicopter.jpg
Frightened people are easy to manipulate, Iolo. One of us could have turned traitor.

iolo.jpg
'Tis impossible! How could they walk among us as a friend, after doing such a deed. No, 'twas something crept up from the caverns, I am sure of it!

Now to the crime scene.

uw2_002trail.jpg

A trail of blood leads to the room shared by Julia and Lady Tory.

uw2_003crimescene.jpg

Blood! Blood everywhere!
The KAL (Summon) rune and bread must had belonged to Lady Tory.

uw2_005stone.jpg

uw2_006stone.jpg

The last time I saw her, she was standing here.

leondegrance.jpg
She didn't sign up for this. I should have been the one murdered in a game.

georgeww1.jpg
Blimey, now that Lady Tory is gone, the Avatar's the only black Britannian still alive in the castle. Now that's a thought, and not a jolly one.

uw2_007julia.jpg

Julia enters the room.

uw2_008juliatalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Please, explain exactly what thou dost mean.

julia.jpg
Avatar, if you don't find out who the traitor is, I will! I swear to you, it's that cold bastard Feridwyn. If he gives me one excuse, I'll cut his throat!

helicopter.jpg
Should we not wait before throwing around such accusations?

*She sigh.*

julia.jpg
Sometimes, Avatar, thy good nature becomes tiresome!

uw2_009nelson.jpg

Nelson stays in the room nearest to Lady Tory, perhaps he knows something.

nelson.jpg
I can hardly believe it -- I was so fond of her, Helicopter. Tell me -- was it some... thing that crawled up out of the gem, or... dost thou think it could have been one of us?

helicopter.jpg
Nay, likely something from one of the other worlds.

nelson.jpg
'Tis a relief to hear thee say that. And yet, 'twas not one of the verminous sewer-creatures that did that. It strikes me that the killing was no random act of malice or hunger, but a deliberate attempt to remove the empath from our midst.

uw2_010patterson.jpg

Next is the man who made a pass at Lady Tory, Mayor Patterson.

helicopter.jpg
How are things, Patterson?

patterson.jpg
What has happened, Helicopter, I can't think about it... I just can't think about it!

*He hides his face.*

I then talk to Julia's prime suspect, Feridwyn:

uw2_011feridwyn.jpg

helicopter.jpg
Does thou know anything about the murder?

feridwyn.jpg
Nay, I know nothing of it. Art thou accusing me, Avatar?

helicopter.jpg
Thou art a prime suspect, Feridwyn!

feridwyn.jpg
If thou hast any evidence, then come out and make the accusation, but I assure thee that I am guilty of nothing. I am aware that many are talking of me behind my back, and I would be lying to say it dost not bother me. Helicopter, you of all people should know the dangers of groundless speculation.

uw2_011Zcssfinger.jpg

uw2_012british.jpg

Now let us hear what the King has to say.

*Stricken with grief, Lord British turns his face away from you.*

british.jpg
Please, Avatar, I would rather not speak with anyone right now.

helicopter.jpg
What is the matter?

british.jpg
I cannot accept it! A woman murdered within the walls of my castle! If I cannot protect an innocent woman here, how can I protect an entire people?

helicopter.jpg
Your Highness, thou canst not hold thyself responsible for everything.

*He sighs.*

british.jpg
I suppose thou art right. but mark me, now that the deed is done there shall be justice. I shall have the killer, or rule this land no more!

You make the right choice Mister B, I won't want to rule Britannia either, because Ultima IX and UO is the future.

Next task is to interview the three servants... er Domestic Managers.
nanna.jpg
nell.jpg
charles.jpg

uw2_013nanna.jpg

Caught Nanna wandering outside the kitchen.

nanna.jpg
Avatar, hast thou heard the horrible news? Lady Tory has been murdered!

leondegrance.jpg
I am suspicious of this one, an ex-Fellowship member.

helicopter.jpg
Lady Tory murdered? No, I didst not know!

nanna.jpg
She was stabbed in her room, stabbed several times!

*Nanna's face is wet with tears.*

nanna.jpg
How could something like that happen here? And to Lady Tory, who was such a kindly woman. 'Tis not fair that such a thing should happen! Not fair!

helicopter.jpg
Hast thou heard who might have comitted the crime?

nanna.jpg
No, I have heard nothing. Now we are trapped here in the castle with a killer! What shall we do, Helicopter? What shall we do?

*Nanna begins to weep uncontrollably, and turns away from you.*

If she's the killer, she's a damn good actress.

The second Domestic Manager, Nell:

nell.jpg
I have heard of Lady Tory's death. I wouldst prefer not to talk about it.

helicopter.jpg
Hast thou heard any details of the crime?

nell.jpg
I heard it was... that she was... oh, Helicopter, 'tis such a horrible crime! Lady Tory was a friend to everyone, and now she is... she is...

*Nell bursts into tears.*

The third and last Domestic Manager, Charles:

charles.jpg
We shall mourn the loss of Lady Tory. She was a kindly woman, who often took time to talk with the servants.

helicopter.jpg
Didst thou hear how she died?

charles.jpg
Aye, and from what I hear, 'twas a gruesome stabbing! Apparently the killer was an incompetent, and had to stab her many times before she died. It chills my blood to think upon the deed. Be careful, Avatar. The murderer is still at large.

Hmmm, perhaps the murderer is not one who is familiar with weapons.

helicopter.jpg
Hast thou any suspicions?

charles.jpg
Feridwyn is at the top of my list of suspects, Avatar. He is distant and arrogant, and often rude to me. I'd not have guessed he was the murdering type, but 'twould not surprise me greatly. I am not so certain that he has abandoned all ties with the treacherous Fellowship.

Next I paid the jailed Fissip a visit, but he is oblivious to Lady Tory's death and has nothing to say.

But the two fighters there, Geoffrey and Syria have words to say.
geoffrey.jpg
syria.jpg

geoffrey.jpg
I have heard the news about Lady Tory. We must all be doubly wary, Avatar, now that we know there is an enemy around us.

helicopter.jpg
Aye, we should trust no one!

geoffrey.jpg
I didst not say that Helicopter. We must exercise caution, but avoid falling prey to paranoia. 'Tis my philosophy what if we lose our heads, the rest of us will surely follow.

helicopter.jpg
Thou shouldst keep a close watch on the armoury.

geoffrey.jpg
I think that the murder was done by whoever stole the blunted dagger from the armoury earlier. I have heard that the wounds on Lady Tory were inflicted with a dull-edged blade.

Ouch, sounds like a painful death.

uw2_014syriatalk.jpg

helicopter.jpg
I cannot but agree. The matter turns my stomach.

*She spits.*

syria.jpg
I do not often feel disgust, Avatar, but I confess I share thy feelings in this matter.

helicopter.jpg
Hast thou any idea who is responsible?

syria.jpg
As such matters have become my profession, let me offer thee some advice -- I do not think anyone in the castle could have carried this out. They are good people, and unused to killing -- if one of them had done this, it would show in their face. likely, 'twas some servant of the Guardian, crawling up through the sewers in the night.

I pray she is correct, the soldiers in Killorn Keep did mention that they know how to access this castle.
Lastly, I visit Nystul to treat the gem I took from the Ice Caverns. It seems he is quite found of Lady Tory.

nystul.jpg
She was so beautiful! Why did this have to happen to her?

helicopter.jpg
Some say her emphatic powers made her a traitor's target.

nystul.jpg
I'm an old man, Helicopter! It should have been me.

helicopter.jpg
When we find the traitor, we shall ask him... or her!

nystul.jpg
Aye, when we catch the traitor...

*You catch a glimpse of something you have never seen before in Nystul's eyes -- a bloodthirsty hatred.*

nystul.jpg
If there is nothing more, Helicopter, I must return to my work.

Yes there is, I want training for my mana skill, and manage to maxed it. Soon I shall max my casting skill as well.

It's a sad day but I have more worlds to visit, more blackrock gems to collect.
Three new facets are now open for entry.

georgeww1.jpg
That's it? The Avatar cannot solve the murder?

leondegrance.jpg
I'm afraid not, it's like Quenton in Ultiam VI, a murder mystery that cannot be solved. What were the designers thinking!

Current stats:
Level 11
Mana skill is at maximum.
Offensive spells:
Level 1 - Magic Arrow
Level 2 - Cause Fear, Deadly Seeker
Level 3 - Bleeding, Lightning, Repel Undead
Level 5 - Smite Undead
Level 6 - Charm

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Either I was completely oblivious to the existance of the Study Monster spell, or I dismissed it as being useless and forgot about it.

Thanks for showing me something new about UW2...again.

Is it me, or did you miss an important bit of dialogue with Lady Tory earlier on? The one where she talks about Feridwyn? IIRC, she sensed that he was either guilty of something horrific and completely remorseless about it, or that he's terrified of being accused of something he didn't commit.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Heh, this murder can be solved I think. It just takes plot progression to give more clues or did the suspect crack, I can't remember clearly..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom