Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Get Beaten in Blood Bowl - Goblin Team

Carceri

Arcane
Hell yeah! GO, goblins!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh, and as an FYI:

Knocked Out players with the Secret Weapon skill are now correctly sent off by referee at the start of a drive

This was just fixed in the latest patch. No more getting KO'd and bringing him back the next drive.

Padre

Liturgist
Block will make things easier/boring.

Maybe do a runny dodgy team with sprint, sure hands, balance or even leap skill ?

For your fanatic mighty blow seems useful to cause even more pain.

Trolls should get block if possible, I have it on my mino and he's a killing machine.

And always try to get a stat up, which you won't because we all know you're out of luck :)

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
FYI the Looney and Fanatic don't get SPP at all. They can't handle a ball and don't get SPP from causing casualties.

The pogo however can get massive SPP and get all the uber survival/catch skills.

Making a gobbo a "thrower" with some skills still sucks since they'll always get a -1 to passing from stunty. I am a fan of sure hands (and the free go for it reroll) as you'll be doing plenty of picking up (blocked gobbos toss balls like little hydraulic pez dispensers.)

Good luck, gobbos are my team of choice.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fanatics do get casualty spp, or if they don't it doesn't say they don't under the ball and chain skill (chainsaw does say no spp from casualty)

They can both get MVP SPP, though it's a crapshoot.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Knocked Out players with the Secret Weapon skill are now correctly sent off by referee at the start of a drive

This was just fixed in the latest patch. No more getting KO'd and bringing him back the next drive.

No-Darth_Vader.jpg

Sovard said:
FYI the Looney and Fanatic don't get SPP at all. They can't handle a ball and don't get SPP from causing casualties.

Looney I knew. Fanatic is news to me, it doesn't say so on his skillset. Plus they can get MVP SPP, no?

Also, there's really no point to levelling them up. Sure, the Looney could use block, but the Fanatic is so overpowered nobody is going to try and stop him anyway.

Sovard said:
Making a gobbo a "thrower" with some skills still sucks since they'll always get a -1 to passing from stunty. I am a fan of sure hands (and the free go for it reroll) as you'll be doing plenty of picking up (blocked gobbos toss balls like little hydraulic pez dispensers.)

I wouldn't make a specialized thrower, but maybe a combined kicker/hail mary kind of guy would work.

We'll see.

Mantiis

Cipher
Catch is also a good skill to have as it allows you to play an hand-off game as well as giving you a re-roll for intercepts. It works well for the stuntys in the lizard team - with good handoff player placement 1 stunty can go in, get the ball, dodge out and hand off to another player who can then run it to the end zone. Since the hand-off doesn't require a roll you only have to pass the catch roll.

Sprint and sure feet are quite useful as well - sure feet is good if you don't have a lot of re-rolls.

Also, I think diving tackle is broken atm so I would steer clear of it til it gets fixed.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Ah, yeah... MVP SPP, sorry. I didn't think about that. I just reviewed my Fanatic's stats and he doesn't have any casualties in two won cups. Every regular goblin except one other has at least one casualty (from my trolls having Guard)

So yeah... as you were.

Kron

Arcane
What's the whole fuss about this game?
It looks like shit, and by what I've seen in videos it plays like some awkward depth-less sport-tactical mishmash.

I kind of liked the warhammer setting, until this. It's too much of a shameless money grabbing move.

Besides, american football? Who the fuck likes this sport? Rugby is the real thing.

Perfect Fool

Scholar
Kron said:
What's the whole fuss about this game?
It looks like shit, and by what I've seen in videos it plays like some awkward depth-less sport-tactical mishmash.

I kind of liked the warhammer setting, until this. It's too much of a shameless money grabbing move.

Besides, american football? Who the fuck likes this sport? Rugby is the real thing.

Playing turn based is excellent fun, and replicates the table top rules extremely well. I've been playing the minis version on and off since 3rd edition was released at Gamesday 1994... did play 2e a coule of times as a kid, but never really managed to get into it.

I think Blood Bowl is one of the *least* money grabbing creations of Games Workshop, to be honest... 40k and WHFB are both crappily balanced cash cow systems, where the latest army always trumps what's released before in some kind of cynical money making spiral that will continue off into infinity.

I loved both the Warhammer and 40k setting when I was a kid, but have not really enjoyed WHFB since they brought out the Lizardmen and cheesed up the Bretonians, and 40k since the Rouge Trader/Compendium/Compilation rules, which had far more character than anything that's come since.

Blood Bowl, Necromunda, Battlefleet Gothic, Gorka Morka and Mordheim are pretty much the only games of theirs that have been released in the past 15 or so years that I think are fun and balanced, to be honest. The rest is just different flavours of cheese combined with raped and badly re-written canon that I used to think was awesome before they fucked it up.

bardon777

Novice
Holy shit I survived! And I scored! Fuck yea!

And I'll echo what has been said about skills, sprint+sure feet, catch for the hand offs, sure hands, wrestle>block for gobbos but block is never really bad, while block and pro are waay better for trolls(on doubles) having one with pass would be glorious for tossing goblins.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Perfect Fool said:
Playing turn based is excellent fun, and replicates the table top rules extremely well. I've been playing the minis version on and off since 3rd edition was released at Gamesday 1994... did play 2e a coule of times as a kid, but never really managed to get into it.

Dammit. You're in the league. I got another person to get my ass kicked by!

Brother None, do you play online at all?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Match 2!

Dwarves. Oh yeah, we were really looking forward to this one. Why? Because not only are they much stronger than me, they all have tackle, making my dodging tactics impossible, and making it much easier for them to bring Gobbos down.

match2_001.jpg

I think I got training down now. Hell I even luck out an Padre gets +1 AGI, so he'll be a good ball carrier in a pinch.

The dwarves get 120k in inducements and...buy two fucking mercenaries? How does that work!?

They were a bit understaffed, tho', not having any troll slayers, but now they have one in the mercenary. At least that should help keep the damage down.

match2_013.jpg

While they didn't do much damage they're basically pushing my line around, the big bullies.

Notice I kicked off, and playing against dwarves, I could technically luck out and jar loose the ball, but I basically have two options: let them score fast or try to keep them from scoring for EIGHT turns. I have my secret weapons in, so obviously the latter one is my plan.

match2_020.jpg

I even blitzed in our looney, but the runner escapes and gets boxed up. Dammit, stop moving closer to my half!

match2_024.jpg

Oh, uhm, oops?

Apothecary brings him back with no permanent injuries.

match2_031.jpg

Edward doing his shit on the right side. I also moved in JoKa from the left. I use "going for it" with fanatics A LOT, pretty risky but it can really pay off.

match2_033.jpg

And so much for my plan to have my troll blitz in and move next to the runner. Really Stupid is an incredibly annoying skill, and coupled with Loner it is HELL.

So I move in Ogg instead to stand next to the runner in the hopes of delaying him, but, er...

match2_036.jpg

He doesn't last.

match2_038.jpg

God fucking dammit. My delays are failing epically.

match2_041.jpg

Oohooh, but what's this?

All his protection is on one side. I can move NiM and Biz in freely, and then blitz him with bardon. 3 Gobbos vs 1 runner = 2 dice, hurray!

match2_046.jpg

Ffffffuuuuuuuu...

match2_047.jpg

Hurray!

match2_051.jpg

And we got the ball! You think bardon will last, there? Chyeah right.

match2_057.jpg

Grabbing the ball is a good delay tactic tho'. They down bardon but don't pick it back up. Next turn Biz needs three dodge rolls to run in and pick it up, but well...no luck.

match2_063.jpg

They've got it again, and JoKa is moving hella in to fuck with their plans. Attack JoKa attack!

match2_064.jpg

Ffffffuuuu. There's the disadvantage with constantly going for it, he hurts himself. This and the fact that fanatics can swing out of the field, causing a turnover, are their major weaknesses. Their unpredictability is just fun, and no one can block 'em.

match2_071.jpg

Boxing him up again. C'mon, only two more turns to go!

match2_076.jpg

Crack! OldSkoolKamikaze gets a niggling injury for his pleasure.

match2_077.jpg

Runner tries to make a run for it and is tackled, woohooo!

match2_083.jpg

Despite the failed pick-up, we're looking good. Their troll slayer picks it up next turn, but that's their last turn

match2_093.jpg

Last thing I manage to do is get NiM sent off for fouling. Stupid!

Half-time!

match2_094.jpg

Hmmmm. Fielding 8 next possession, including ball-fondlers Jasede and Padre.

match2_098.jpg

Goddammit. I keep getting this shit with trolls and rerolls almost always fai...

match2_099.jpg

Oh, 'k then.

match2_103.jpg

I got Jasede on the right side in hopes that I can lure them into blitzing there, as Jasede can easily outpogo any dwarf.

match2_106.jpg

Success of sorts. They're leaning to that side heavily, but they're also pushing around the trolls too effectively.

So Jasede pogoes back to the left side and I have the trolls try to clear a pa...

match2_111.jpg

FUCK.

match2_117.jpg

Oh holy shit. So, what do you do in that situation? Nothing really, you just escape, run to the other side and pray.

match2_118.jpg

Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck

(also, did I miss something? Jasede has the dodge skill, he has his own reroll, why am I using the team reroll for this?)

match2_123.jpg

Shit yeah bitches. He's still in blitzing range, so I try to move in bardon to distract the dwarves...

match2_125.jpg

Whoops? I'm sorry, bardon, but you are the weakest link. RIP, you will be missed, etc etc

match2_127.jpg

The fuck? Get this, despite Gardin and Gulin back there clearly able to move and blitz freely, the AI opts to blitz the runner, solo?

match2_128.jpg

And he rolls two attacker downs?! Lollerpants!

match2_130.jpg

I don't run it in immediately.
"But why not, BN, surely you don't expect to wait and hurt the dwarves?"
No, but I know I have no chance of stopping them from scoring if they have enough time, so I'm shortening their scoring opportunity by a turn.

match2_138.jpg

Yeeeheeee!

match2_140.jpg

...Good Lord.

We field, uhm, six next turn. The kick skill would have been gold here, as I could pin them to their endzone, but no, the fairly random kick lands right between the runners. Fuck, it'll be hard to keep them from scoring now.

match2_150.jpg

They're absolutely butchering my line.

match2_153.jpg

Shuma moves in to annoy him! And is downed the next turn.

match2_160.jpg

Silellak was within range and made a brave attempt to get to the runner, to assist a Padre blitz (him blitzing on hisown with two red dice = more foolhardy than a few dodge rolls). Nope.

match2_166.jpg

Yah, with my entire team KOd, injured or prone on the pitch, there wasn't much to stop him.

match2_168.jpg

Still guys, a tie is way better than I would have dared hope for. 5 casualties is reasonable too, and we made some nice cash off of it.

match2_169.jpg

Getting any SPP with Gobbos is hard, but since they'll all die horribly anyway, who cares rite?

So, uh, problems: bardon is dead, OldSkoolKamikaze has a niggling injury and is out next match, and Ogg suffered a gouged eye last match, so he's out too. Unsurprisingly, I felt the need to buy two new Gobbos and stock my roster again...

match2_171.jpg

GarfunkeL is one ugly bastard, coming in to replace the dead bardon.

match2_172.jpg

Shoelip's none too pretty, neither.

So get this, with a win and a tie we're still ranked first, followed by the dwarves who also have a tie and win have 10 less team value, other teams all did worse. We're up against #3, the Skavens, next time, and they actually have more team value then us. I'll have inducements, for the first time EVER.

Padre

Liturgist
Next time you may want to positiion another player in the range of pogoer so that he can pass him the ball. That way you can cover most of the field in one turn. And I mean passing as in hand to hand, not throwing. It may be useful agaist skaven who you can't outrun, right ?

Nevertheless, I'm still alive and without injury. huzzah !

Shoelip

Arbiter
We didn't lose! Hurray!

I was going to complain if you didn't get a death this match. I just hope mine is humorous.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Padre said:
Next time you may want to positiion another player in the range of pogoer so that he can pass him the ball. That way you can cover most of the field in one turn. And I mean passing as in hand to hand, not throwing. It may be useful agaist skaven who you can't outrun, right ?

Probably. It's just unnecessary against dwarves and possibly orcs, who're never going to beat you at a footrace anyway.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Niggling injury!? You should have let Mantiis die!

Padre

Liturgist
match2_127.jpg

You were one lucky SOB out there. So it seems useful even against dwarves.

Anyway, most of the team survived and you got a tie so I salute you.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Padre said:
You were one lucky SOB out there.

Lucky-ish. He's a runner, so he has no block or tackle, so he really needed a defender down. Defender stumbles and pushed would've been useless, attacker down is always shit, and both down might not have helped much as I could just scramble up next turn. I look incredibly lucky, but to be honest it was a foolish block to throw. He should've used the troll slayer.

Besides, what led to that situation was a very unfortunate series of events. One more successful block more by the troll and the balance would've been way tilted the other way.

And handoffs certainly wouldn't help, but I'm still getting used to using those anyway.

Padre

Liturgist
Brother None said:
what led to that situation was a very unfortunate series of events

That's what happened when my uber chaos team suffered 4 injuries against tree huggers.

Also, failed my perception check - didn't realize it was a runner who was blitzing your pogoer. I thought it was a blocker. So yeah, only 20% chance to get pogo stick down.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Match 3!

So I said the Skavens have less TV than me and I should get inducements, right? Wrong. They're missing two players or summat, whatever, their TV goes down and they get 80K in inducement. Chyeah right...

match3_004.jpg

Bah!

(if I recall the rules correctly these aren't inducement purchases but simple lineup fillers. I think)

Kicking off. No rat ogre or anything, and with two secret weapons I should be able to outgun them and blitz...

match3_009.jpg

End of their first turn.

match3_015.jpg

Yeah bitch. Biz pushed the lineman away, and Edward blitzes and downs the thrower. That's the way we do it, GOBBO STYLE.

match3_017.jpg

Azire clubs a Skaven out.

match3_020.jpg

And shti, Rabidredneck does the same. Noice! I'm actually outmuscling a team, that's pretty rare.

match3_023.jpg

Mantiis runs in and picks it up

match3_025.jpg

For a short while.

And shit, they run in a gutter runner from all the way across the field to pick up the ball (gotta hate Skaven speed), and KO Edward R Murrow. The balance, she is turning.

match3_030.jpg

Taking a major risk here, but he's on the edge so I just need any kind of push to get him over...

match3_031.jpg

Shit yeah! Rolled a pushed and stumbles, so he goes off the pitch.

Ball flies to their half, where Shuma picks it up. JoKa the fanatic and both trolls move in to assist, while the Skavens relentlessly blitz and block, but never get anything better than pushed or stumbles (phew)

match3_049.jpg

JoKa clear up a Gobbo but also pushed Azira away, giving Shuma less coverage. I figure fuck it, dodge out!

match3_052.jpg

He's still in danger of being blitzed from behind, so Azira takes out one skaven and engages the two next to the dumbed-out Rabidredneck.

Lhycut tries to slip out from behind Azira to blitz someone (not Shuma as far as I can see, Shuma was not in blitzing range) and is tackled by the troll.

match3_062.jpg

Shuma rocks the house y'all!

So, 2 turns left, plenty of time for them to score. I actually only field 10 players next down; I still have 11 with Jasede, but I keep Jasede on the sideline as I don't want to waste a secret weapon like that. They field 8.

match3_086.jpg

In turn 7, no receivers passed the line (one tried and got KOd for it) and I slip Shoelip and Vortexx in for a blitz. This is what I meant when I said gobbos make good blitzers: they can slip between and team up on a solitary player easily. It's not doable on high-strength players, but on relatively weak runners it's a piece of cake.

Anyway, Vortexx downs him and picks up the ball. I move Biz to within TD range hoping to hand it off next turn. However, the skavens bring Vortexx down.

match3_097.jpg

Silellak picks the ball back up, and actually has a very, very hard shot at reaching Biz for the hand-off.

match3_098.jpg

Dang! Almost made it!

Half-time!

They're still fielding 8, with 2 KOs and 2 injuries to deal with, but I'm fielding eleven, including Jasede. Brillo!

match3_107.jpg

Situation one turn in. I got Jasede boxed up, and Padre deep for a handoff.

match3_112.jpg

It becomes a chaotic mess pretty quickly as Skavens dodge around to put in full coverage.

match3_116.jpg

They tear Jasede down off of his dildo, and the ball does this hot potato from hand-to-hand before ending up on the floor.

match3_120.jpg

Path is clear for GarfunkeL, who picks it up, no sweat, legs it to Padre for the hand-off...

match3_123.jpg

...yeah ok that happens. Re-roll!

match3_124.jpg

middlefinger.jpg

See? This is why I don't do this whole handoff shit. Whenever I do the dice always, ALWAYS fuck me right up the pooper.

match3_128.jpg

Bit of a struggle ensues but the ball is still free, and Padre's got a nice path, though he has to make a 4+ pickup and a dodge, and two going for it rolls, but fuck it, the dice owe me.

match3_132.jpg

Fuck you too buddy. Ok, reroll...

match3_136.jpg

DANG! Thank you, Jesus! I mean, thank you, nondescript non-denominational figure!

match3_140.jpg

Sometimes the squigs try to eat the cheerleaders. They never succeed, but hey, they do get nice goblin upskirt, and that's equally nice, right?

upskirt.jpg

Hurray!

So, we kickoff, 10 of us against 9 of them. Time for some prevent defense.

match3_147.jpg

Pooof. First serious injury, to NiM. Serious concussion (-1 AV) is turned into a fractured leg (misses next game).

match3_154.jpg

Life sucks when you're a Skaven.

A bit of a scrimmage follows, they get the ball again, throw again, and...

match3_162.jpg

Failed pass, but the ball does go deep.

match3_166.jpg

Padre's heroic effort to down the gutter run (or at least push him away) and pick up the ball falls...pretty damn well short.

match3_169.jpg

...Uh...ok, so the thrower runs in, picks up the ball...and I honestly don't get what he tries. A 5+ pass? Who the hell is he passing to? What?

match3_173.jpg

Christ, finally.

match3_176.jpg

Yeah yeah, I'm happy for you.

match3_177.jpg

As many injuries caused as taken. Don't expect to see that every day.

match3_178.jpg

Which means a nice bit of SPP.

Ok, so seriously guys... I dunno what's going on either. Yes, I checked, I'm not playing easy. I've just had a streak of luck a mile wide on essential rolls, whether it is them failing to bring down Gobbo on their half or on me breaking up one of their attacks. I'm happy about it, even if it wasn't what I was expecting. Orcs are up next, so let's see if my luck holds.

Sander

Educated
So 2 wins and a tie despite the terrible Dwarven slaughter?
That's nuts.

Great stuff, though.

Padre

Liturgist
Shuma high five bro ! We can now be TD buddies right ?

1 pick up (+4)
1 dodge (+3)
2 go for it (+2)

and only one reroll spent. Shit I be awesome.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
I won the first two cups. Then pretty much everyone that had SPP (except my trolls) croaked and I got sad.

Keep it up. I noticed it gets a whole lot easier when you give both trolls Guard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom