Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda - games for morons by morons

Rancen

Educated
Haven't played the Shitout 3, but have seen hd video from GC'2008. Quality of dialogues haven't improved even on a jota from Oblivion - same childish stupid shit over and over. They have 14 years old game designers or what? Just check sheriff dial... err monologue and your replies:
- Right. Message received.
- You dont scare me.
- Say nothing.
Next Todd choose: "You dont scare me", sheriff answers: "You've got something you want to prove, boy?", and another great Bethesda style choice of replies appears:
- There's a new sheriff in town! It's time to die, asshole.
- I want that hat what do you think about that?
- Ha! I just messing with you.

Great, isn't it?
Animation is awful, as always. Even Quake animations is better.
A bit later some braindead citizens appears who's praising the atom bomb. Player is activating the bomb on their eyes. Can you guess the ai reaction? Its bethesda style - Retarded. Artifical. Intelligence.
I'll never buy this shit.

spectre

Arcane
Does this goddam forum need another bloody F3 thread? Swear to dawg, there have to be other rpgs to tak about.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
One quest that I finished working for the sheriff was embarrassingly bad in terms of its implausibility (like that would surprise anyone here).

It involves talking to this slickster who was hanging out in the saloon who wanted to...

detonate the bomb. He tried to pay me to do it, but I declined. Later, talking to the sheriff, I told him about this dude. He says to follow him - he's going to show me how to deal with scum like this. So he runs (all the way around the town, the long way) to the saloon, we walk up to the suited (!) man, and the sheriff, after a brief accusational conversation, places him under arrest. I had my gun pulled out, too, just in case the man tried anything. Eventually he surrenders to the sheriff's authority, and is told to follow the sheriff to the hoosgow. So the sheriff turns his back then instantly this cat whips out a submachine gun and kills the sheriff on the spot. I could not target the man as he was one of those unkillable NPCs. This happened in the middle of the saloon, in fact at the very feet of another NPC. The killer threatens me, leaves, and I'm left to freely loot the body of the town's only authority figure. No one reacts even in the slightest. If fact, the female NPC sitting right there even made a pleasant comment to me. Quite bizarre and jarring.

To be somewhat fair, later, at the sheriff's home, his son's dialog does involve the fact that he's now alone and doesn't have anyone to take care of him.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What do you mean by
you couldn't taget the dude? Unkillable NPCs just drop unconscious for a short time when "killed" so you could at least have stopped him momentarily. In fact, I read another version where someone saved the sheriff, who dropped dead moments later.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Hmmph. I assumed. Maybe shouldn't have..

The crosshair was a green 'X' so I never tried pulling the trigger on him. Besides, his "zoom in" threat to me afterwords and then him leaving was done so quickly that I didn't have much of a chance to try. It was like almost instantaneous, you know?

spectre

Arcane
Ah, I see the good ole Radiant Stupidity continues to deliver. I still fail to see how its lauded as the second coming, cause in most of the cases I saw it in action, a few basic scripts would do a far better job.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
spectre said:
I still fail to see how its lauded as the second coming
it isn't.
a few basic scripts would do a far better job.
huh? radiant ai is nothing but a few basic scripts. which is the problem. they are too basic, as evidenced here, by not accounting for multiple outcomes.

it's the same at the beginning in v101, when two civilians try to make it to the exit and get gunned down. you can rush ahead and kill the guards, but that will only make both of them disappear.
btw, you can convince mr burke to leave, which will save the sheriff, by not allowing you to rat on him (riight), for example using the black widow perk or whatever it was called

the game is moronic, but the fact that most quests have multiple ways to solve them is a huge fucking step-up from oblivion.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
SuicideBunny said:
the game is moronic, but the fact that most quests have multiple ways to solve them is a huge fucking step-up from oblivion.

Ok, you know, there's something I don't get. Yes, 'step up from Oblivion', but what the hell, suddenly we are giving devs (small, but still) credit for implementing something which is a basic RPG component?

spectre

Arcane
the fact that most quests have multiple ways to solve them is a huge fucking step-up from oblivion.

I reckon by the time they hit TES XIX they're finally gonna include C&C and laud it as the next gen awesomeness. Prolly it'll even come with a spiffy next-gen name attached.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Some of the moronic design can be forgiven due to the sandboxey nature of the game, but I don't understand why the AI has gotten worse instead of better since Morrowind.

Is Radiant AI too script-dependant? We go from extreme to extreme in any of its titles now -- city-wide ultra-vigilant mind reading of criminal behavior to complete Obliviousness when something horrible has occurred just inches away.

Doesn't Bethesda hire gametesters?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Darth Roxor said:
Yes, 'step up from Oblivion', but what the hell, suddenly we are giving devs (small, but still) credit for implementing something which is a basic RPG component?
i don't know what you are doing, but i'm giving credit where it's due, and to be honest, the fact that they improved at all, instead of continuing the dumbing down that occurred from daggerfall to morrowind to oblivion is rather surprising.

it's like praising your very "special" child for actually learning something it struggled with, even though most of its buddies learned said thing a decade ago.

now they need to hire some good writers, and people with at least average intelligence and a developed sense for aesthetics, and their games might step up from "mindfuckingly retarded" to just "nothing special".
spectre said:
I reckon by the time they hit TES XIX they're finally gonna include C&C and laud it as the next gen awesomeness. Prolly it'll even come with a spiffy next-gen name attached.
either that, or fo3 will be the new morrowind, and fo4 a new oblivion in regards to it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
SuicideBunny said:
i don't know what you are doing, but i'm giving credit where it's due, and to be honest, the fact that they improved at all, instead of continuing the dumbing down that occurred from daggerfall to morrowind to oblivion is rather surprising.

it's like praising your very "special" child for actually learning something it struggled with, even though most of its buddies learned said thing a decade ago.

now they need to hire some good writers, and people with at least average intelligence and a developed sense for aesthetics, and their games might step up from "mindfuckingly retarded" to just "nothing special".

Perhaps you are right, but as Spectre stated, first step - credit is given for something which should be there in the first place; second step - "INNOVASHUN!1 now stuff you do will have CONSEQUENCES, O SHIT"

MetalCraze

Arcane
Cloaked Figure said:
SO, what's the end result?

- more retarded games with no more than 3 dialogue options
- that are pussy good/just good/and retarded evil aligned
- low-level fantasy setting - like more knights worshipping God of Steel and fighting orcs with flaming swords!
- More than one ending - when you multiply 'retarded' what do you get?

If anything the success of FO3 will tell dumb publishers that old licenses can still be raped for good money.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
What the fuck is with all this cross-posting? New Codex meme?

Rancen

Educated
Cloaked Figure said:
Fallout 3 will have a good impact on the industry.
The one impact I'll hope the industry will receive from that is just an example of absolutely untalented and incredibly stupid devs. The Witcher must have a good impact, otherwise we're doomed.

Vaarna_AarneNah said:
it's the Decline of the Trolls.
Butthurt compencated that.

ElPresidente

Novice
Bah. I'm enjoying it and I hated Oblivion.

I guess I'm a moron. :P

Of course this isn't to say that every second of play doesn't have me wishing Troika had made it instead. I miss them so much. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom