Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum questions

TheLostOne

Savant
Fuck yeah.

I'd take any excuse to revisit Tarant. Bought Arcanum on release and it's been installed on every computer I own (including my work laptop).

aries202

Erudite
1. Yes, I do
2. I own the original game (bought it myself, did I..)
3. No, but it could be
4. No, more game content is always welcome.
5. Yes, I would like to play a mod for Arcanum.

Ok, I know it's been a while, (I took a break, didn't want it to become boring for me) but here are some spells I've changed. I didn't make these from scratch, they were spells that were edged out because troika decided to lessen the amount of spells in each college right before release (or so I've heard) so I've implemented a couple of them. I can't increase the amount of spells in each college, as that would require changing the entire interface (which I don't know how to do) so I had to go on the spots that they were originally planned for. Here they are:

The only thing I had to do here was the spell description. The name and effects were already there, but it was not implemented. 50% of the time, the spell doesn't work at all, which is why I added the "unless a saving throw is made" part. :P

This one is pretty cool because it automatically stops you right before you walk into a trap. The original name was "Sense Traps" but I changed it because two other spells in that college have "Sense" at the beginning of there name. I haven't encountered any bugs with this one yet, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

Gives you 50 FR. I might reduce that, but I don't think I will. This had a bug that kept the flame effect over your head even after you cancel the spell. Simply removing a line from it's code fixed the problem (it goes away when you cancel the spell now.) I might have done more bad than good, though, because I don't really know what the line was their for. I'm going to keep my eye on this one. The name, and description are both in there original state (unchanged by me, already done by Troika)

As you can probably tell, both the spell name, and description were empty, so I had to do them. Very Warcraft-ish I know. Haven't encountered any bugs with this spell, but as usual, you can't be sure. Also, the spell currently makes a red "effect" like harm, I'm trying to find a way to make it green.

Enshroud. I have no idea what this thing is supposed to do. I casted it on myself, and can see no difference in stats whatsoever. It's cast-able on me, my allies, my enemies, and dead bodies. Makes me think the spell effects are unfinished. Going to do some digging around and see if I can find out what it is for. The description wasn't there (it has the same one as the spell that was originally their, "Blind") so no clues as to what this thing is.

I haven't tested what this one does yet, but when I do, I'm updating the spell description.

Remember folks, I didn't make these spells, (only edited the names and descriptions for some of them, and fixed a bug) they were all already their in the spells.mes

Also, I have a question to ask. What spell college do you guys like the least? I'm going to make a college with my own custom spells that I am going to make from scratch. To do this I have to empty one of the already existing colleges.

The new spell college is going to have to do with utilizing the special magicks of The Void for your own purposes, basically like warlocks from WC, but instead of "The Nether" it's "The Void".

The second last spell is to teleport yourself to The Void. This will be your own private sector. It's gonna have void lizards and other dark creatures that won't attack you (you are there master) It will also have prisons that hold people that you have banished (Banishing is the last spell in the college) The prisoners are guarded by demons and whatever.

The piece of the void where Kerg, Arro, BoK, and Gorg live is not reach-able through here, though. (that would ruin the game) I still haven't decided what the 1,2 and 3rd spells are going to be, but I'm thinking maybe summoning arraya's, void lizards, and the like. maybe summoning a "Sword of The Void" or something. or "Gem of The Void". whatever, you know.

Fez: The worldeditor is really great, once you get the hang of it, and I've learned how to edit all kinds of things by going through database files, but damn it, that script maker is a bitch to use. I'm struggling with making a fucking liquor vendor. I've written a bunch of dialog, for all kinds of people, quests, etc... but i can't get it to work using this damn script maker. My spring break starts after tomorrow, so i plan on learning how to use it then.

Also: I'm thinking of naming the capital of Cattan "Codexia". yesno?

Edit: I've decided to up the level cap for PC's and followers to 100. Creatures in the Void, however, will be up to lvl 125. (that's what I meant by "I'm making the Void harder."

Edit2: Forgot to mention this, the level requirements for the Void Magick college will be a lot higher. The first spell and second spells will require level 5. The third will require lvl 15. 4th will require lvl 20, and the last one, lvl 30.

Edit3: I'm abandoning the mod's website until the summer. At the moment, I don't have the time to do both the mod and the site.

Klaz

Scholar
For the least favourite spell college... I'd say that it's Nature.

Radisshu

Prophet
I started playing through Arcanum again a while back as a gnomish gunslinger-inventor persuasive character, but now I can't steal ale from Clan Maug's warehouse because the game shuts down every fucking time I attempt to take the key from the guard's inventory.

Radisshu said:
I started playing through Arcanum again a while back as a gnomish gunslinger-inventor persuasive character, but now I can't steal ale from Clan Maug's warehouse because the game shuts down every fucking time I attempt to take the key from the guard's inventory.

are you patched with 1.074?

Starwars

Arcane
Radisshu, it might be patch-related (can't remember what patch I'm running), but I also had this problem on my current playthrough. What I did was leave Tarant on the world map, and return immidetely again. This would make the corpse of the guard disappear, and have a 'junkpile' in its place instead. I could get the key from that with no problems.

I have another problem though. I'm about to go knock Maug out of business, but I can't enter his bloody warehouse. The door says that it's unlocked, but I can't get through.
If there's no solution, does anyone know where I can get a hold of some dynamite to try and blow it up? I though I had some on me, but I guess I used it all.

Ok guys, go to your arcanum shortcut. Right click and press properties. go to details and look at version. if it says 1, 0, 7, 4 then you have the latest official patch. If you have anything else go to http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/dload.php and go down until you see the heading "Arcanum Patches" and download the patch that is in your arcanum language (english, french, etc..) and install it. Playing arcanum unpatched is pointless, considering all the endgame bugs that aren't fixed until version 1074

edit: also most mods for arcanum are unplayable unless your patched

hmm ok then i'll check that out and try to fix it.

also something i forgot to mention before:

my mod includes:

Late Game Dialog Fix by Atreides II
Machined Plate Fix by RANDEL 'THE MAD TEXAN' CLAWSON

I'm gonna add more as time goes on. Not big things, just random small fixes. everything that i cant find a fix for online, i'll try and work out my self.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dude, you're awesome. The added spells sound good [especially those that work :lol: ], and this is starting to look better and better. So my beloved Arcanum is getting a [probably] worthy mod after all... keep on the good work!

Radisshu

Prophet
Shota Shernokavich said:
Radisshu said:

are you patched with 1.074?
I thought I had installed the patch, but I'll reinstall it just to be sure anyway.

Starwars

Arcane
I'm wondering if I'm kinda screwed.

I was fighting a Lich who did that magic which slows you down. This hit me and a few of my party members. At first I seemed to remember that it just wore off after a time, or after sleeping but that didn't do it. Went to a healer but that didn't help.
Checked out the magick schools and there is a Disperse Magick. Neither me or my party members have it.

Located a single scroll of Disperse Magick, but can't use it due to my technological nature.
It's been a while since I played this game... Am I missing something obvious or will I be forced to live with this?

check your injuries section in your logbook and make sure you haven't been crippled. also check your inventory and see if your encumbered.

edit: also maybe he cursed you?

Starwars

Arcane
No injuries except an old scar. No encumberance. No curses (I guess they're listed on the "Blessings & Curses tab"?). There's a small visual effect around the characters affected, a red circle that looks like a clockwork gear, I suppose to show that we're slowed.

I suspect my game might be bugged somehow as I tried to temporarily boost my magick, magickal alignment and give myself the proper school of magick (the one with Disperse Magick), but it doesn't dispel the effect when I cast it even though the spell fires.
No idea what happened, or if I'm just missing something really obvious.

Starwars

Arcane
Just tried it, it sticks, but the old effect doesn't cancel. If I advance time, the haste effect disappears, but the original effect does not.
It appears to the effect of Congeal Time, and that it has somehow gotten "stuck" to my character. Stupid me didn't keep any saves prior to me getting the effect either.

Fuck, pretty annoying.

Small Update:

I've added new items to the starting barter including a kathorn crystal, leather gloves, priest robes, and 2 large armors. Suggestions for other things to add are welcome. As you can see i've added things that should have been there, but weren't, so don't suggest something unreasonable like a flamethrower or an arcane longsword.

Heres one of the new backgrounds. In the first release there will be around 3-4 new ones, and by the final version, i plan on having around 15. Suggestions are welcome.

And heres one of the new loading screens:

If you have any pictures that you think would make good loading screens for arcanum, and would like to suggest them, then go ahead.

i go play BFME2 now byeeeeeeeee

ok guys the project has changed direction a bit. Instead of an aimless revision, I'm going to make a prequel that was i was discussing on T-A a while back. The story is set in 1875 - 10 years before the original. arbalah and his family are still alive, as is bessie toone. the mine in shrouded hills still has workers, and silver, and everything. Virgil is still a bandit in caladon. most of the main quest-line has to do with a civil war in cattan, and ends just as the LFS Zephyr is taking off from Caladon.

I will have to rework a lot of backgrounds - all of the ones that mention the blimp. anyways yea the main quest is gonna be huge. that's all cya

all the new spells/races and whatever are still gonna be in the mod

ps: it's gonna be a lot easier now to make bedokaan and other races playable

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I have a question.

To add new races you should have a vast knowledge of values inside arcanum.exe. Or even a commented disassembly of it. Would you like to share?

Just in case you're not talking bullshit.

As I mentioned before, changing your character to a female halfling or gnome is a lot simpler, and has been done before. I then said that I *might* figure out how to add Orcs and etc.. using the same method. So far I haven't been able to do this. I never said that I added them, just that I was going to try. :)

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I see.

I made a fully working race mode for my own amusement. It has all extra dialogues, all generic lines for extra races (dark elves, ogres, orcs). It uses premade saves to select those races. I played through the game as full orc and full ogre, no problems so far. I may release the mod later, if anybody's interested.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Shota Shernokavich said:
Do dark elves have different generic dialogue than normal elves?

if anybody's interested.

Me! :P
I wrote new generic dialogues for orcs and ogres, but just copied elves' ones for dark elves. According to the game lore most people are not even sure whether dark elves exist or not, so in my mod dark elves will be identified as normal elves in most cases. I changed all elven race checks (dialogues of raven, loghaire, min gorad, gilbert bates, etc, etc) to include dark elves. You'll be identified as a dark elf in my mod only by Qintarra guard. He'll still let you in though, for plot purposes.

I also had to change other stuff to include extra races, like orc bandits random encounter, half orc thugs in Tarant at night and other things. Now they all respond correctly to extra races.

EDIT: Since I released the unofficial patch today, I'm releasing this as well. Here's the link. Readme included, read it before playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom