Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD picture of the day

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
First thing that came to mind was a power plant. But then I noticed the figures standing on the second or third level up. So it is some type of relic/device left from before the Apocalypse and those are most likely guards inside. I would think its a power station of some type.

Does this mean you will be releasing a picture of the day everyday? And if so does that mean the hype machine has been cranked up because you are nearing the end of the development cycle? :lol: :wink:

edit: On second glance I noticed the figures are standing on pedestals so they are statues or possibly statue guards.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
whatusername said:
I don't see how machines work in the game...
Is that a question?

Paranoid Jack said:
First thing that came to mind was a power plant.
No. It does generate power though.

So it is some type of relic/device left from before the Apocalypse and those are most likely guards inside.
Yep.

Does this mean you will be releasing a picture of the day everyday?
No, of course not. It was a good way to show something without showing anything and see the reaction to a high level of pre-war technology than was expected.

And if so does that mean the hype machine has been cranked up because you are nearing the end of the development cycle?
We definitely are.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
Quote:
And if so does that mean the hype machine has been cranked up because you are nearing the end of the development cycle?

We definitely are.

Then you need to tell us about more of the kool features... that aren't actually in the game but will help its initial sales figures.

Oh, that's right this is going shareware to hopefully sell the full product to all those who like it. In that case honesty is your only viable policy.

Ah, now I get it! That is why you have been so blunt and interactive here on the forums. In a vain attempt to open the eyes of those who would rather have a uber graphics game sold to them by people who stretch the truth about their product... lying about actual features and how well they work (or don't work) in-game.

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant marketing tactic... the truth! Hard as it is to accept sometimes its just the best way to go. Don't worry though when Iron Tower is bought by a huge producer and they throw truck-loads of money at you and your team... when you're all driving around town in your new Hummers throwing hundred dollar bills to the fans lining the streets... then you can start telling us how spectacular the AI is in your sequel... all the time knowing its just your average AI at best.

[switches back to his serious personality]

I still have my Quake Shareware CD. Ah, the good ole days. I think I paid $5 for it in Funcoland (wait they were Software Etc. at that point, now they are GameStop). Then I unlocked the full game and had a full version disc mailed to me for another $5. There is something to be learned from that little example. The rise and fall and rise of id. Though some of us would say they never recovered from the first fall...

somnium

Scholar
Do they still work/ experiment in this thing, is it still active? I first had that impression because there are little flaks/bottles standing on the most upper desk/table and thought the statues (wich i am still not sure about) where real people.
Or is this a (none) public museum of some sort (witch would explain the statues like things)?

Vault Dweller

Developer
somnium said:
Do they still work/ experiment in this thing, is it still active?
No, abandoned and sealed.

I first had that impression because there are little flaks/bottles standing on the most upper desk/table and thought the statues (wich i am still not sure about) where real people.
The statues.

Or is this a (none) public museum of some sort (witch would explain the statues like things)?
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/press.htm
See this tower in the ruined town? That's the place. Shields generated by the machines protected the tower, which was abandoned later on. Here is an earlier concept:
link

somnium

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
somnium said:
Do they still work/ experiment in this thing, is it still active?
No, abandoned and sealed.

I first had that impression because there are little flaks/bottles standing on the most upper desk/table and thought the statues (wich i am still not sure about) where real people.
The statues.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/press.htm
See this tower in the ruined town? That's the place. Shields generated by the machines protected the tower, which was abandoned later on. Here is an earlier concept:
link
Ah I see, thank you for the information. It seems realy interesting to have such clearly advanced technology lying around while most of the world is “forced” back to a much lower level technology level.

I imagine there should be quite a lot of interest in discovering and getting some of these machines back to work. Can you do that as player and use and/or sell them for your own good? I know there is a lore master class the deals with (minor) artefact items but can you do the same for big places as these? I mean trying to get the place to work or selling the location of such sites to the highest bidder.

chaedwards

Liturgist
Nice picture - I really liked the schematics that you showed earlier, and this one is definitely enticing. Will this image show up in the game, on a map or something like that?

On a more general note, how long after the fall (not The Fall, obviously) is the game set. What is the attitude of the general populace to pre-war technology? I realise the three houses have different takes on it, but is the common peasant completely ignorant of it, only aware of it in myths or deliberately shunning it?

Vault Dweller

Developer
somnium said:
It seems realy interesting ...
Thanks.

I know there is a lore master class the deals with (minor) artefact items but can you do the same for big places as these?
No. While a loremaster can fix machines (memorizing schematics is one of the lore aspects), it would take a mage to power them up. You'd understand what I mean when you see the tower.

I mean trying to get the place to work or selling the location of such sites to the highest bidder.
The location of one tower is known. There is another one though; if you find it, you can sell its location and you can scavenge, repair, and sell some equipment. If you get past the guardian, of course.

chaedwards said:
Will this image show up in the game, on a map or something like that?
Not anymore. We planned to have some nice black-n-white "quick sketches" in the journal, but we lost the artist and couldn't find anyone who could continue in a similar style. Then I found Grant (the guy who did the locations), and there was no reason to duplicate his work in b/w.

On a more general note, how long after the fall (not The Fall, obviously) is the game set.
About 400 years ago.

What is the attitude of the general populace to pre-war technology?
Source of income. Noble Houses are paying generously for old trinkets & gadgets, and when there is a demand...

... is the common peasant completely ignorant of it, only aware of it in myths or deliberately shunning it?
Well, what do you think those peasants thought when they dug out the "baghdad battery" in 1936?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Battery
http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_11.htm

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
So what was the purpose behind that structure? Some kind of bomb shelter since it can put a shield around itself? Or one of the sites that would fire off that world ending magic? That building made me curious ever since I saw the picture of it standing in the middle of a ruined city.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom