Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD - Crafting screen

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Major_Blackhart said:
Great Stuff VD, Great Stuff! When can we expect this wondrous title to ship?
Don't know anything about a wondrous title, but I'm planning to release a decent game this fall. Assuming that the new graphics that we're working on now will turn out ok. We should have something to show in 2 weeks or sooner. Then we'll post it on a trendy site Putting the Whore in Graphics Whore and see the reaction.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Saran said:
When you say that you can find rarer components/ingredients by exploring do you mean that we find them on bodies or in chests, or can you mine the materials required?
Exploring old pre-war facilities. No mining.

After all you will run out materials fairly quickly if there is only a limited amount of ingredients in the world
Supply of RARE ore / components is limited. The key word is rare.

the idea of farming a part of the map because bandits occasionally drop mithril ore sounds boring.
No farming, no random drops, no unreasonable drops.

AMDG

Novice
What level of technology will be encountered ?From the story , it is implied that the Old Empire experimented with nuclear weapons - the glowing desert and so on . It appears then that the player will encounter more advanced types of weapons - and of course the ammo will be a problem. Can somebody still find those weapons in the game ?

AMDG

Novice
Read a little bit about the Glowing Desert ( hint : Gaelius speak about it ) - and imagine the medieval tech that can blast everything in a 50 miles radius and make the desert glow for decades - as described .

Lurkar

Scholar
Fuck, was this topic old enough to revive, or were you looking for something older?

Vault Dweller

Developer
AMDG said:
What level of technology will be encountered ?From the story , it is implied that the Old Empire experimented with nuclear weapons - the glowing desert and so on . It appears then that the player will encounter more advanced types of weapons - and of course the ammo will be a problem. Can somebody still find those weapons in the game ?
No nuclear weapons, no guns.

AMDG

Novice
"No nuclear weapons, no guns"

How about explosive crossbow bolts , or repeating crossbows ?

Not even a Fallout-style ending by using a pre-war nuclear device ?

Vault Dweller

Developer
AMDG said:
How about explosive crossbow bolts , or repeating crossbows ?
There is a double-bolt crossbow, and you can make flaming bolts/arrows. No explosive bolts, although that seems like a good idea.

Not even a Fallout-style ending by using a pre-war nuclear device ?
There are no pre-war nuclear devices.

AMDG

Novice
"No explosive bolts, although that seems like a good idea."

I'm just proposing real-world weapons , of course these would be prototypes obtained from quests or from a high-level crafting skill .

"There are no pre-war nuclear devices."

Just curious , is the Glowing Desert situation the result of a nuclear detonation , or a magic equivalent ?

Vault Dweller

Developer
The magic of this world is different. It's not about casting some lame spells, it's about manipulating matter and forces of nature mentally. One could alter metal properties or attempt to fuck with neutrons; speed up healing or change the DNA code; transmit sounds and open portals to other regions or worlds. So, the end results are pretty much the same, but the way is different.

AMDG

Novice
"it's about manipulating matter and forces of nature"

Interesting concept - but that would make a mage
OP IMHO. Be sure to pack a Vendigroth device around ...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Not really. No more than a scientist. They can cause a lot of damage, especially if given enough time to prepare, but a mage is hardly a match for a well trained soldier.

AMDG

Novice
"but a mage is hardly a match for a well trained soldier"

Still , they have blasted the whole desert. Is there any kind of killer "spell" ?

Lumpy

Arcane
I think he means magic works very much like nuclear power. A bunch of nuclear physicists could wipe a town off the face of the earth, but having a soldier and 5 physicists in a room, the soldier will obviously win.

AMDG

Novice
"but having a soldier and 5 physicists in a room, the soldier will obviously win."

If there are no gadgets into play ... Because even a frail scientist with a MG can wipe out tens of MA soldiers .

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
I think he means magic works very much like nuclear power. A bunch of nuclear physicists could wipe a town off the face of the earth, but having a soldier and 5 physicists in a room, the soldier will obviously win.
Pretty much.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vault Dweller said:
There is a double-bolt crossbow, and you can make flaming bolts/arrows. No explosive bolts, although that seems like a good idea.
Or acid arrows even. You could reasonably have pottery arrowheads containing liquids that are acidous or pyrophoric, create smoke etc.

AMDG said:
If there are no gadgets into play ... Because even a frail scientist with a MG can wipe out tens of MA soldiers .
Assuming he knows how to use it, and they are unarmed or unprepared, preferably both.

AMDG

Novice
You can implement a repeating crossbow , with low damage and a high rate or fire , or a large heavy crossbow , able to launch all kind of projectiles .

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
Or acid arrows even. You could reasonably have pottery arrowheads containing liquids that are acidous or pyrophoric, create smoke etc.

Another good idea for making ranged combat different... adding to the tactics.

As far as the crafting goes it looks/sounds good. And the way I understand it the best weapons in the game are crafted or upgraded weapons via crafting skills, correct?

But that doesn't mean choosing a melee fighter over a craftsman with mediocre melee skills will give either character a huge advantage over the other type. Since the melee focused character has better perks/skills that allow him to do more damage with a normal or typical weapon found or bought in the game world. And the craftsman fighter has less perks/skills but makes up for it with a better weapon causing more damage. At least that is what I assume you meant...

That sounds pretty damned balanced to me. :cool:

I like the art style/look of all the screens shown. Very nice. Your game is now on my very very short list of games I am looking forward to. And Fall is just around the corner, sweet!

Lumpy

Arcane
On the other hand, why would the most powerful weapons be crafted by you? Wouldn't there be other smiths who are at least as skilled as you are? But if there are, then smithing simply becomes a way of saving money.
However, combat, diplomacy and stealth are more fun when you do them yourself than when you hire someone else to do them. That's why getting some combat skills is not just a way to save money you would have spent on mercenaries.
So you could make you smithing things be equally powerful to hiring others to smith for you, but make doing it yourself fun. But how do you make something like smithing fun?

jeansberg

Liturgist
AMDG said:
You can implement a repeating crossbow , with low damage and a high rate or fire , or a large heavy crossbow , able to launch all kind of projectiles .
I like the idea of different kinds of crossbows being able to launch different kinds of ammo. The mentioned 'clay'-head bolts might be too heavy for a light crossbow, or too big to fit on a double-bolt one.

AMDG

Novice
One can have a single-bolt crossbow that may fire a greek-fire "clay"-head bolt. Perfect to fight big unarmored monsters :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom