Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Cyber Knight 2 lp

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Moar moarrr.

lightbane

Arcane
Update 2: An amazing* rescue

*EXTREME was not invented yet back when the game was done

Let’s start this update by going back to the hangar and inspecting our Support Modules’ gear:

3WTcd.png
lFngU.png

Support Modules don’t have any stat like EP or Move score, because they’re not supposed to fight, just use their special attacks, preventing the enemy from reaching the party (if possible). However, they have some exclusive weapons, like these:

G1h33.png

S3aGC.png

Which weapon is used every time a SM decides to do something is up to the Random Number God. Vizier also has some cool weapons:

JPpab.png

wsoNx.png

ZsfUz.png

Deathstorm, or like it should be called, the “BLOOM Storm”, it generates a powerful light that obliterates the enemy. Sheriff has a SADARM, a SAM and a Rocket Pod. One thing that I dislike is that right now too many of our weapons and Options are Impact type, we need to rescue the Professor and investigate Neoparts ASAP. So let’s do it.

hiOuJ.png

Before that, I’ll search the area for clues and/or to talk to the citizens here.

NaPUr.png

kXnae.png

LgMBi.png

There’s that guy on the right side of the door with a military transport, we can’t do anything with it yet.

hpqwF.png

85QQS.png

181GU.png

We still can’t enter any house. Goddamit, why the hell these npcs had to be the only ones that have not forgotten the ancient, poorly understood, mystical technique of “not leaving the door open and locking it to prevent thieves from entering?”

:rage:

teLoH.png

2qNgF.png

bP0Pn.png

doMpF.png

1Nsu3.png

b4uzf.png

VUH6k.png

Picard: "That's an awfully heavy-duty gate for a basic holiday villa."

bbmRG.png

Nothing interesting here, but there’s CJ hidden behind that house, let’s talk to her and see what happens.

QW43B.png

YYco0.png

aBSs2.png

eZPU2.jpg
“Just someone who helped us get out of a scrape.”
XhSJe.jpg
”Indeed. It’s been a while, hasn’t it?”
eZPU2.jpg
“So what are you doing here, anyway?”

XhSJe.jpg
“Verifying Professor Dinett’s whereabouts, actually. You’ve been looking for him, right? It appears he’s been locked up in this villa. It looks like he’s writing up a research paper on the Bersekers. Looking for data on new weapons, I would say.”

eZPU2.jpg
“So how do we get him out?”

XhSJe.jpg
”That’s the problem. We can’t get over this wall, and there are tons of module-equipped guards inside.”

Oh dear, please don’t tell me it will be a crappy stealth mission, these ALWAYS suck…

eZPU2.jpg
“In other words, a frontal assault with modules is the only option…”

As I feared, it’s… Wait, what??

XhSJe.jpg
”I’m afraid I won’t be of any help. Good luck, all of you.”

Yep, Picard was serious, he’s self-aware enough that stealth will not work in a jrpg, so we’ll proceed with a direct assault already, awesome.

0ItdX.png

Of course, the guard doesn’t allow us to enter with Modules, but there’s another way.

3fxzA.png

eZPU2.jpg
“(Persuade)Don’t worry, I only need it for a minute.”

tzIu8.jpg
”(Persuade: Failure)What?”

eZPU2.jpg
“Oh well, I tried. Too bad, but I guess it’s murdering time!”

Indeed it is, here’s a link with the first real combat, oddly enough the game considered it important enough to give it the boss’ regular theme:

ouf04.png

MUSIC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH7dDlYddsw

Here’s our first dungeon, don’t expect much from it though. The objective here is to reach the first floor and go to the room where the Professor is, the problem is that most doors are locked, we may have robots armed to the teeth, but these doors are plot-armored, so we can’t just blow them up.

afN6n.png

uw4sN.png

hYTbv.png

That’s the room where the professor is, we can’t enter it directly, so we’ll have to go back to the ground floor and look for an alternate route. In the way, we’re attacked by two random encounters (luckily the random encounter rate is very low unlike other games).

wAeBf.png

5Rt7M.png

Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dicfXzZ--Ug

That’s the music used for these encounters, depending of the area these will vary. Jupiters are not especially threatening, they can attack your entire party at once with Machineguns, but besides that they’re harmless (by the way, I discovered at this point that Winner’s armor is quite thin, I should be more careful while I use this power armor, I didn’t so I paid the price for my failure, more about that later).

8flLI.png

cMgqz.png

That’s the 2nd random encounter we can find there. Again, nothing very dangerous (besides the Rex).

rhdmV.png

ettD8.png

To proceed on this dungeon, we have to go back to the ground floor, go north and look for a backdoor with a yard, then go right:

aA8aK.png

6VGC2.png

7m1KP.png

Good, now we can finally go to the Professor’s room.

0ePpY.png

Suddenly, my metagaming senses tingled, my intuition told me that there was a boss fight just around the corner, so before doing anything else I’ll fully heal and repair my party:

Z3IgU.png

6pis8.png

vA2F7.png

We’re ready. Guess what, there really was a boss fight here, cunningly hidden as a random encounter. The boss was much, much harder than I expected, it wasted no time to kick my ass. HARD.

Phew, that was a close call, I never thought the game could have such a hardcore monster for our first boss, they mean business! Actually, that’s what I said about combat back on the first post: Combat in CK2 is fast and deadly, both for you and the enemy. Anyways, back to the plot:

ewonh.png

MyrRO.png

eZPU2.jpg
“We can talk later. For now, we have to hurry. There’s a car waiting for us.”

AFr8P.jpg
“Right.”

QF0tG.png

VLC2g.png

9jQZJ.png

The party leaves without incident, I assume the support modules took their time killing everyone else so that we had a safe return. Mission accomplished.

Yc5V8.png

eZPU2.jpg
“Professor, please tell me… What did the Federation hope to gain by imprisoning you?”

AFr8P.jpg
“They were after the Berseker data and parts that the Swordfish had brought back from the galactic core. They’re building a new type of combat machine based on the Bersekers models!”

Shine: “You’re kidding.”

AFr8P.jpg
“I wish I were. As strong as robots, but able to multiply like living creatures. It’s a debasement of science and a mockery of life. They call them Metalliforms.”

Nehjena: “Nanomachines Metalliforms…”

AFr8P.jpg
“They were going to kill me… or worse. I didn’t have any choice but to hand over my research data on the Bersekers… My old rival, Dr. Mifune, is at the pinnacle of the robotic engineering field. He’s working to create new weapons for the Earth Federation military. He’s already used my data to complete the Metalliform design, and from what I can tell, they’ve secretly begun production. Since they can multiply on their own, there’s no need for factories… Which makes them cheap to produce. He’s planning to use the Metalliforms as weapons on other planets. It’s horrible…”

eZPU2.jpg
“Who’s ‘he’?”

AFr8P.jpg
“General Forrest! He’s a horrible dictator! If he misuses the Metalliforms’ power, he’ll take control of all humanity!”

eZPU2.jpg
: “Gotcha. We’ve got to put a stop to his plans, then. Will you help us, Professor?”

AFr8P.jpg
“Do you even need to ask? I’d be ecstatic to be on board with you all again. I just wish that MICA could be here…”

Kiri: “Why, what happened to MICA?”

AFr8P.jpg
“I don’t have all the details. The Swordfish was taken to Mars Base to be dismantled for research. MICA may be just a supercomputer that I built, but she’s like a daughter to me nonetheless…”

VB1YP.png

We learned a bit more about the evils of EA. However, we finally have good news: Thanks to the professor, the the lab is ready to be used, yay! Before that though, we’ll go back to the Hangar and the Sickbay to heal the mechs and repair the people… Oh wait, it’s the other way around.

“Picard got 50 experience; Kiri got 25 experience; Klein got 25 xp; Vynd got 68 xp; Shine got 100 xp, Shine reached level 11: Shine’s Combat Skill is now 8, Shine’s Science Skill is now 11; Nehjena got 25 xp.”

When we step into the hangar, the party members receive a lot of xp because they completed a mission, some of them even received more xp than others because they used their non-combat skills (Vynd performed a successful repair and Shine successfully identified a Neopart). Having done that, it’s time to investigate a Neopart for the first time:

2H1Y0.png

The screenshoot is missing, but once we select Analyze, a brief animation triggers where the Neopart is shown and the machine scans it with some sort of laser.

HpZUo.png

p12yg.png

Excellent, a new field! Let’s equip it immediately.

6aaiU.png

CWMnM.png

bs7ol.png

Done. Each mech will have two of these, better to be safe than sorry. Now we don’t know where to go, perhaps we should go back to Kazelin and ask the rebels for information…

NCInW.png

wtknY.png

sJ1FA.png

u7tXN.png

CiwoL.png

fK7vf.png

ZgMdD.png

Well gentlemen, I’m sorry to say this but I have to end the update here, I need your help, it’s time for…
CHOICES!!! Which quest should we do next?

A:
Gunther%20Hermann.jpg
"BLOODY TERRORISTS!!! I saw some of them yestarday, at Gagarin, we shgould hunt them and exterminate them, then cut them to pierces and forcefeed their children with threrrse… I mean, “caprture them alirve for interrrogation” "

B:
shodan.jpg
“They’re dis-dis-dismantling that old ship in Mars, what’s worse, they’re-re-re mistreating a fellow AI, we can’t tolerate-te-te-te that, KILL THEM ALL!!”

C:
pbEQH.jpg
”What?? Economical problems in Duizarl? Which means, someone important is losing money here? Intolerable!! We don't like competition, there must be an investigation and then execution of the culprits!”

So, tell me gentlemen, what do you choose? I’ll wait until next Wednesday, if there’s a draw I’ll randomly select one option. Come on, demonstrate your codexian wisdom!!

PS: I know you don't know much about the context of each mission, so do I, but I can tell you that the first quest is slightly harder because it has an on-foot, Modules-less section.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Lookin' perfect now! :salute:

(And if you have some time to spare and aren't too lazy and still have the original screens you took for the first update, you may want to redo those in proper resolution as well and edit them in, so that the entire thread looks purrfectly perfect. The first page often makes the first impression, ya know. Or maybe it's just me...)

lightbane said:

Extreme! Can you just run over any wall/obstacle with your tank?

Also, the very first boss can kick your ass? Hardcore!

As for the vote, I'd say go for B! Let's fly to Mars and rescue the Professor's "daughter"!

lightbane

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Lookin' perfect now! :salute:

(And if you have some time to spare and aren't too lazy and still have the original screens you took for the first update, you may want to redo those in proper resolution as well and edit them in, so that the entire thread looks purrfectly perfect. The first page often makes the first impression, ya know. Or maybe it's just me...)

I'll think about it...

Crooked Bee said:
lightbane said:

Extreme! Can you just run over any wall/obstacle with your tank?

Sadly no, it's a fixed path. Even more amusing, you can at any time go back to the tank, which will drive backwards until you're at the entrance (and if you return later, it will take you back to the villa). The guard here is intelligent enough to know that messing with a bunch of power armored dudes is a bad idea.

lightbane

Arcane
Voting time is over! Let's see the results:

A: 2 votes
B: 5 votes
C: 1 vote

The total number of votes are 8. These are more than I expected, which means that many readers are interested on my lp (besides the several lurkers that are too shy/too busy stalking to vote) :love:

The Codex has spoken!! B wins with an overwhelming result!!

shodan.jpg
:incline:

So the next update will feature the party traveling to Mars, to murder in cold blood a bunch of innocent guards that had done nothing wrong, except having to do their job to be able to feed their families... I mean, the party will travel to Mars to defeat the EXTREMELY EVIL soldiers of the ABSOLUTELY EVIL Earth's Federation.

lightbane

Arcane
Update 3: Mars attack

Right. To Mars!

Kg78c.png
K7TpM.png

As before, upon reaching a new system, we'll scan every planet before doing anything (even though on this case is a bit silly to do it).

qLxpJ.png
pz7pW.png

zRcFP.jpg
“The stargate that the Swordfish used to escape is nearby. There is a small fortification on the asteroid, which stands guard over the stargate, to prevent ships from venturing too near.”

eevAd.png

zRcFP.jpg
“There is an Earth Federation military base in place.”

tcCdR.png

zRcFP.jpg
”The atmosphere is comprised many of carbon dioxide and is rife with clouds of sulfuric acid. Landing would be exceedingly dangerous.”

CdVNp.png

Okay, we’ll go to Mars and land right now (you can’t land on Earth nor Pallas, AIDA will warn you that landing without being detected would be impossible, no matter how hard you try, AIDA discourages suicidal tendencies).

P1h2n.png
iQ618.png

Shine: “The Jump Drive in particular is ten times more powerful than the current generation.”

4FaQw.png
4FaQw.png

eZPU2.jpg
“There are superweapons on board that we took from the galactic core. It’ll be risky, but I think we need to get them back.”

Yes, we have to get them back. So let's roll!

frwJM.png
bl4WO.png

Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rzjt4KEmDE

2PHkB.png

Here’s the base. Right there I discovered a minor bug: Apparently, for some reason the game believes that whenever you meet a random encounter in this planet you’re already inside the base, even if you have not entered yet!

Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH7dDlYddsw

ZNsbB.png
E91Xv.png

Of course, new enemies are here as well, in fact, the place is crawling with mass produced version of your power armors, plus some that are exclusive to the enemy. They seem to be fairly easy to kill…

7UuWi.png

Until I meet these two fuckers:

jOlYB.png
M0Y1r.png

Challenger must be a variant of the Winner PA, and Titan is a copy of our own model. Unfortunately, it is as powerful as ours.

YSKri.png

In just a single turn, they deal moderate damage to Rex and absolutely vaporize Shine, utterly wrecking both the mech and the pilot. I think I should retreat and clone our fallen soldier.

PFtUT.png
vUPqF.png

Done, let’s go back to the enemy base:

jCEea.png

There’s nothing on the first floor, you have to go underground through one of the stairs and find the correct path within a maze of closed doors.

yhD2n.png

Yep, unfortunately the game abuses this type of dungeon, later on it tries to add some variation but it’s not completely successful. I wish I had maps to show you but I haven't found any and I'm terrible at drawing, sorry.

LybjS.png

Enemy Winners are found here too. Luckily for us, they’re exactly as squishy as our own one, so they’re not a real threat.

MQKuu.png

6Uhok.png

hehg1.png

6BLcH.png

ZZCO6.png

Eventually, I find the correct path, I must be close to the end of the dungeon…

4aQne.png

Indeed I am. Logically, we cannot progress until we beat the boss, who once more disguises himself as a random encounter to catch you off-guard.

Victory! Now where’s our ship?

TNso1.png

eZPU2.jpg
“There was a ship docked here before, right? Where did it go?”

fjOv9.png
The Swordfish is the ship that made it to the galactic core and back, right? It was taken offworld somewhere, presumably for intensive study. I was never told where it was going.”

Shine: “Took you long enough!”

eZPU2.jpg
“What happened to the onboard computer system, MICA?”

fjOv9.png
“It was removed. Not a bad piece of hardware, that. I’d guess it’s been appropiated for use on some base.”

Shine: “Damned Feds! They’ve hidden MICA and the Swordfish from us.”

eZPU2.jpg
“Don’t worry. We’ll get them back sooner or later. We’ll have to pull back for today.”

Well, I wasn’t expecting it would be easy, at least we completed our quest. We go back to our ship pretty quickly thanks to the lift next to us.

4WPRf.png
RIg2A.png

Picard, Vynd and Shine level up, slightly increasing their respective skills. What about the Neopart we recovered?

6OIPW.png
rbjXi.png

mNSAR.png

YES!!! The Rayblade is now stronger than before… Not much sadly, only 2 extra points of damage, but every little bit helps. I’ll go back to Kazelin and check if they have new info.

ZwGOk.png

It seems not. So, gentlemen, I’m afraid you have to vote again, this time between the other two choices you disregarded, these were:

A:
Gunther%20Hermann.jpg
"BLOODY TERRORISTS!!! I saw some of them yestarday, at Gagarin, we shgould hunt them and exterminate them, then cut them to pierces and forcefeed their children with threrrse… I mean, “caprture them alirve for interrrogation” "

C:
pbEQH.jpg
”What?? Economical problems in Duizarl? Which means, someone important is losing money here? Intolerable!! We don't like competition, there must be an investigation and then execution of the culprits!” *

Which one is better and why? Discuss!! You have until next Wednesday!

*It’s possible we can’t completle that quest yet, but I’m not sure, at worst I’ll switch to the other quest if necessary.

lightbane

Arcane
Voting time is over!! The results:

A: 4
C: 3

Total number of votes: 7

A wins (with a single vote of difference).

Gunther%20Hermann.jpg
":incline: IT'S TIME TO PACIFY SOME STURPID TERRORISTS!!"*

Sorry for the jew-lovers, but you lost, again. Maybe next time :M :M

*: For those that wonder why there are so many typos when Gunther speaks, it is to reflect his bad english and writing, if you don't know what I'm talking about, it means that you probably have not played Deus Ex :decline:

PS: By the way, I changed the format of the videos I use for boss battles and such. What do you think about these? Are the new videos good? Should I change something? I'm open to any of your recommendations, same for party options and such (assuming someone of the Codex besides me has played this game)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom