Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Dance with Rogues - 47 - Divided We Stand (Finished)

My Princess will be Augmented

• The Cloak - Shadowdancer

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • The Dagger - Assassin

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
OK. We're getting closer to our next Cleric level up. Which is packed with goodies. Second Circle spells are unlocked, and so are the domain spell 'Knock' (Auto Lockpick) for those high DC locks.

Bull's Strength for To Hit & Dmg Bonus
Summon Creature II for Dire Boar
etc.

:) Anyone with comments on second circle cleric spells to aid me is welcome. I've only got 3 slots BTW.
Should I make a try for 3rd circle somewhere in the future? There's some goodies in there like Darkfire, but I don't feel like sacrificing two levels just to unlock 3rd circle.

Breaking Axe

Educated
I'm usually adverse to multiclassing spellcasters with 3/4 BAB progression classes, simply because it leaves you with an atroscious BAB, and a spellcaster's power is quadratic as it increases in levels. That is to say that a wizard/rogue or cleric/rogue doesn't match up well against a pure wizard or cleric, and will have less BAB than a pure class rogue.

Spellwise, you should consider using hold person against the Dhorne, I doubt very much that their will save is anything to boast about. It'll make them flat footed while they're held so you'll be able to sneak attack to your heart's content while it's in effect.

RK47

Patron
BAB is a good point, I notice I'm hitting air like crazy even with +7 to Hit. That's with Bless on, mind you. Weapon Finesse will kick it to +9...but I'm still wary of fighting things head on. Which is why I'm torn between the Assassin or the Shadowdancer.

I'll leave it up to voters starting today till I hit level 8. :)

Erebus

Arcane
Hold Person might be a really good spell : most of the guards and bandits that we can fight probably don't have very good Will saves.

Resist Elements is a nice spell, but I don't remember a lot of elemental damage being thrown around so far.

I don't see many level 3 spells that would be really useful to Aisha (unless we suddenly start meeting a lot more spellcasters). Level 4 spells include Divine Power and Hammer of the Gods, but it would take a long time to gain access to them.

Breaking Axe

Educated
Are you having any difficult fully utilising your sneak attacks when it comes to open combat? There's a number of methods you can use as a rogue to make your opponent flat-footed or otherwise prone to sneak attacks, although some of them depend on what items the module makes available to you. A wand of colour spray (Needs Use Magic Device), tanglefoot bags, as well as knockdown with more than one attack per round are often the best ways to fight an opponent with sneak attacks one on one as a low level rogue, although granted you'll have a lot of difficulty with your BAB.

The Assassin's death attack won't do you too much good against fighters unless you find a way to boost your intelligence, your DC won't be high enough for it to be reliable. First level of it will be DC 13, high level fighters will just shrug that off. So go Shadowdancer for the HiPS abuse.

RK47

Patron
Breaking Axe said:
Are you having any difficult fully utilising your sneak attacks when it comes to open combat? There's a number of methods you can use as a rogue to make your opponent flat-footed or otherwise prone to sneak attacks, although some of them depend on what items the module makes available to you. A wand of colour spray (Needs Use Magic Device), tanglefoot bags, as well as knockdown with more than one attack per round are often the best ways to fight an opponent with sneak attacks one on one as a low level rogue, although granted you'll have a lot of difficulty with your BAB.

The Assassin's death attack won't do you too much good against fighters unless you find a way to boost your intelligence, your DC won't be high enough for it to be reliable. First level of it will be DC 13, high level fighters will just shrug that off. So go Shadowdancer for the HiPS abuse.

Fox's Cunning? :smug:

I miss a lot on these regular Dhorn. It's depressing. Even the thief I killed in my apartment took around 10 rounds to kill. That's terrible. Their AC has gotta be at least 20. And that makes rolling 1d20 with +6 BAB a bitch. 14 or higher is a stretch. 30% chance to land normal attacks. Grrr.

I know Sneak attacks ignore Dex bonus right? But it doesn't seem to help much once they spot me and the badger dies or something. I'm looking for artifacts for sure to stun or disable. Not to worry. I'll get something for sure.

Also:
assassin.jpg

Hit Die d6
Perks:
Level 1
Death Attack +1d6 dmg
Automatically triggered when attacking an opponent out of combat. Enemy must roll save or be paralyzed. Failing that, a torrent of sneak attacks will follow on the helpless victim.

Apply Poison
Dexterity checks when applying poisons are always successful

Level 2
Ghostly Visage
Once per day, the Assassin can cast Ghostly Visage on self. This is a damage reduction ability.

Poison Save
Save +1 vs Poison

Level 3
Death Attack +2d6 dmg
Further improvement to the Death Attack damage bonus.

shadowdancer.jpg

Hit Die d8
Perks:
Level 1
Hide in Plain Sight
Guaranteed success when attempting to hide from enemies in plain sight, as long the Shadowdancer disengages from combat.

Level 2
Darkvision

Level 3
Summon Shadow
Once per day, conjure a Shadow to fight by her side.

Shadow Daze
Once per day, dazes an enemy with a spell-like ability.

Take note that the Assassin class skills include Open Lock and Disable Traps while the Shadowdancer class doesn't. This allows pure Assassins to remain capable of picking locks as they advance in ranks while Shadowdancers may have to yield a level to Rogue to keep their lock and trapping skills up to date.

Breaking Axe

Educated
Well if you went Shadowdancer you'd be taking a one level dip if you're after optimization. HiPS is the only thing of worth, and yet extremely overpowered.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
You want 1 level of Shadowdancer. Hide in plain sight is the most hilariously broken ability ever. After that, go back to rogue or continue into assassin.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 23: Descent

01.jpg

Morning comes, I stand next to the town fountain, pondering my next move. I must wait till nightfall before I can practice my crafts. I dip my hand into the water, recalling the clues. An oil smell? Sounds like a trip to Carla's beauty palace is in order.

02.jpg

carla.jpg
Greetings, girl. What can I do for you?
ai.jpg
I'm looking for somebody. A man. The only thing I know about him is that he often smells of oil and sweat. I was wondering if you could help me, perhaps?
carla.jpg
We don't do men here. I'm sorry. Try the bath house next door?
ai.jpg
Oh, of course! Thank you.

He must need to clean those oil sometime, and the baths is the place to do it!

03.jpg

clerk.jpg
Using the bath will cost 2 gold coins, girl.
ai.jpg
I'm looking for someone. A man. He smells of oil and sweat. I was wondering if you could help me, perhaps?
clerk.jpg
Oil and sweat, you say?
ai.jpg
Yes.
clerk.jpg
Hmm. We do apply oils here, but then scrape them off afterwards, thus removing the accumulated deposits. I would certainly hope that our customers do NOT smell of oil, and more importantly sweat, after visiting us. Even after heavy exertion, you would likely smell only the fragrant herbs we infuse our oils with.
ai.jpg
Darn..
clerk.jpg
I think the man you are looking for must be a fighter of sorts.
ai.jpg
Why do you say that?
clerk.jpg
Many warriors apply oil to their skin. Not to clean themselves, but to make it more difficult for their opponent to grapple them.
ai.jpg
I see. Thank you.

The arena, then. Tonight. The sun sets that night, and I resume practicing my prowess at the harbor district.

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

It's not enough...

08.jpg

09.jpg

LP Comment: Hey, Art of Love is level 2! Yay?

The sky turns dark as I serve my third customer.

10.jpg

dhorn1.jpg
I want you to ride me, little bitch.
ai.jpg
Okay, 10 gold coins.

Suddenly the man pushes me against the wall, and I feel the tip of a blade pressed against my neck!

ai.jpg
Ouch! Hey now!

Is he trying to rob me?

dhorn1.jpg
Shut your dirty mouth, whore! I'm Special Agent Tanners, of the Dhorn Empire. And you're hereby under arrest.

He fumbles under my clothes, probably searching for weapons. Damn! Just my luck! I reacted quickly, tumbling away so he cannot hurt me. I manage to dive to the left just in time before he can react! I quickly put on my armor and drew my weapon.

11.jpg

ai.jpg
I'll kill you, Dhorn!

As we traded blows, the door to the warehouse opens, and a figure approach. I risk a glance at the newcomer...it's...

12.jpg

Vico?

13.jpg

Without a word, his longsword slashed at my assailant. Blood spurted from the wound. The Dhorn collapsed instantly.

14.jpg

I stare at him for a long moment, speechless. Was he following me? He gave me an angry stare and shouted.

15.jpg

ai.jpg
I didn't ask for your help!

He doesn't respond. He sheathes his weapons and leave the building without ever looking back. I ignore him and examine the Dhorn's body.

16.jpg

Some coins, potions, a kukri..and a strange short sword.

17.jpg

This looks valuable. I make my way to the hideout to report my sexploits to Paurie. Perhaps he's willing to assign me his top secret mission afterwards.

17a.jpg

I paused a moment upon entering the sewer and was overcame with dizziness. I took a moment to wipe the sweat from my brow...It must've been one of the sailors. Damn...I spent a few minutes attempting to vomit away the giddiness to no avail. I have to rest....

18.jpg

Paurie grins at me as I make my way to the bunk beds in the hideout.

pau.jpg
Back already?
ai.jpg
I have done what you told me.
pau.jpg
Tell me more.
ai.jpg
I've slept with a couple of guys at the harbor.
pau.jpg
And you've taken their money for it?
ai.jpg
Little as it was.
pau.jpg
And you've really fucked them? The sailors?
ai.jpg
I told you I did. Now, what's this secret mission about?
pau.jpg
Nothing.

He grins widely.

ai.jpg
Nothing?
pau.jpg
There's no special mission. I just wanted to see if you'd really fuck those sailors. *He laughs.*
ai.jpg
You..!
pau.jpg
Hey, I'm a rogue. Never trust a rogue.

He grins and shrugs. I will kill him.

ai.jpg
You'll pay for this.
pau.jpg
Heh, I, for one, won't pay for your services, darling.

I attack without reservation. This bastard's gone too far! I'm still weak from the disease, but I might just be able to pull it off...I emptied a bag of caltrops on his face and summoned my badger servant to attack him.

19.jpg

The bastard smiles as he drew his daggers.

20.jpg

I could barely parry his blows, let alone hit him. Things begin to look grim as he tore a piece of my armor with his dagger. I could feel myself weakening.

21.jpg

Suddenly another rogue approached Paurie from behind and gave him a punch!

pau.jpg
Hey, what's the idea!
jac.jpg
We've overheard your little conversation, Paurie. Don't you know the girl is off limits by order of Master Nathan?
pau.jpg
Fuck you, bitch! She attacked me!
jac.jpg
Get him.

22.jpg

The whole Family rogues gather around Paurie, surrounding him and pointing their blades. Paurie screamed obscenities as he fend off a few blows before several strikes meet their target.

pau.jpg
Fuck yo-

He gasped as Jacia finishes him off with another stab to his back.

23.jpg

jac.jpg
The Family looks after their own. What's his is now yours. Rest, you look like you need it.

She snaps her fingers and the rest return to their duties. A pair of rogues watch over me as I loot Paurie's lifeless corpse. Once I am finished, they drag the corpse to the sewers for disposal.

LP Comment: This is all self-narrated by me, I have no idea why the whole Family suddenly turned against Paurie with no scripting by Valine of the sort. But it was a really welcome help, the Princess was in no shape to win that fight.

24.jpg

Paurie's dagger is a remarkable piece of blade. It's sharp, to be sure. But it possess a strange stunning property that renders its victims helpless. A fine addition to my arsenal.

25.jpg

His ring is also enchanted. I slip it on my finger before settling down on the hard, bunk bed, trying to suppress the disease that ravages my body.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Hehe... I didn't attack Paurie, but instead reported him to Master Nathan. I would say the punishment was far more interesting, as Nathan ordered Paurie to endure the same thing my princess had to do on his little quest and screw some sailors on the docks, or else be killed. ;)

RK47

Patron
:lol: That sounds fucked up as well, but man the dagger and ring is awesome shit at low level!

Black Cat

Magister
If your Charisma and stuffies is high enough you can actually seduce the special agent guy to let you go, which is kind of obligatory with character builds that can't wear good armor and stuffies, or if you have low HP as sometimes you don't actually manage to get free before he slashes at you. In that case, however, two or three Dhorn soldiers will arrive, accuse both you and the guy, and then proceed to try and execute you right there. In that situation Vico's arrival is kind of awesome, as there's no way the princess will face off three Dhorn soldiers by herself.

It's kind of awesome in how many different ways some situations can play.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yup, men have women prostitute themselves as a joke all the time, Valine. That's how life works!

At least you got phat loot.

lightbane

Arcane
I vote for what I believe it's maximum powergamimg: 1 point on Shadowdancer and the rest on the Assasin class. Also, that update was quite cool.

RK47

Patron
Unfortunately, you cannot have more than 3 classes in D&D

Quad-Classing is available in the 10th Edition though, around 2030 AD. Stay tuned.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 23: Avengers Assemble

01.jpg

I awake on the floor, unsure of what had happened the night before. All I could remember was Paurie's death, my fever...and Jacia telling me to head home. I close my eyes and try to recall what happened the night before.

00.jpg

Oh. I get dressed and leave the apartment. I have to get to the Arena tonight.

02.jpg

Following Master Nathan's advice, I lock the apartment's door behind me before leaving.

03.jpg

According to the baths owner, gladiators would cover themselves with oil. The man with that oil smell must be somewhere in the arena.

04.jpg

I head into the front reception and was greeted by the ticketing vendor.

clerk.jpg
Greetings, Miss. Do you want to buy a ticket?
ai.jpg
Could I visit the gladiators?

She studies me briefly, then lowers her voice.

clerk.jpg
You've got a thing for big, strong men?
ai.jpg
Yes, I do.

Whatever. I just need to identify the informant among the gladiators.

clerk.jpg
I've got to admit, I enjoy looking at them too. *She smiles.* I know the gladiators are often visited by women who pleasure them. I never see them coming in, however, just leaving. But I know a woman named Sharita is involved. She used to run a bordello in the city, the Dhorn have closed her down, though. But I've heard she often visits the Lion's Head Inn these days. Maybe she can get you in.
ai.jpg
That's good to know. Thank you.
clerk.jpg
Would you still like a ticket?
ai.jpg
Yes, please.

I pay the five gold. I need to find Vald, anyway. Jacia wants the key to his house.

05.jpg

Somewhere inside the Gladiator Pits, the Dhorn informant is hiding. The portcullis is beyond my lock picking skills. Looks like I have to visit that Sharita later.

06.jpg

I hand over the ticket to the guard, who let me in after pulling the ticket stub.

07.jpg

The arena...I was never allowed to visit it before. Too much violence, they said. Not befitting for a girl like me. Seems like quiet a few people are watching the fights tonight. And I think they are betting money on the fighters! I just hope nobody recognizes me. I move through the crowd and spot the man Jacia mentioned.

08.jpg

I mutter a silent prayer for a short blessing before dipping my fingers into his pocket.

09.jpg

Success. I drop the key into my purse and move along the crowd. That's when the bookmaker announces the line up for tonight's match. I listen as I peeked at the arena below.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Tonight's match is between those two monsters. I wave at the bookmaker and indicate that I wish to bet on the umber hulk.

12.jpg

I hand him a hundred coins and watch the fight unfold.

13.jpg

Both fighters are evenly matched. The Umber Hulk attempts to confuse the Gray Render, but faces trouble when the Gray Render employs its massive knockdowns.

14.jpg

For a moment, I thought I lost my bet. But the Umber Hulk prevailed at the last minute and slaughtered the Grey Render. I collect my winnings before leaving. Once is enough. I've got an appointment to keep.

15.jpg

The Lion's Head Inn is just north of the Bear's Pit. That's where I met Pia. Sharita sits in one corner of the inn, sharing the table with no one. Her blue dress shimmering in the candlelight. She meets my gaze as I near her.

sha.jpg
Yes?
ai.jpg
Are you Sharita?
sha.jpg
Yes I am. And who wants to know?
ai.jpg
I'm Tina.

She eyes me from head to toes.

sha.jpg
And what do you want from me, sweetheart?
ai.jpg
I heard you might be able to get me a rendezvous with the gladiators in the arena.
sha.jpg
Really.

I nod.

sha.jpg
Why would you want to see them?
ai.jpg
(Persuade) Doesn't really matter, does it? Just get me in. I promise, nobody will bring up your name.

She studies me again,then nods.

sha.jpg
50 gold coins.

LP Comment: Failing Bluff/Persuasion/Intimidation check will force you to pay 1000 gold instead. Ouch.

ai.jpg
Alright, let's go. Here's your money.

We leave the inn and walk back to the arena. We do not approach the main entrance, however, but find a small trapdoor located in an alcove in the back of the building. Sharita unlocks the trapdoor with a key of hers, explaining to me that it's an old tunnel that can be used to get into the basement. I carefully lower myself into the chute. It's just wide enough for me. There's no ladder, however. So I have to drop down into the darkness. I hesitate for a moment, but Sharita assures me that it's only a small drop and that the shaft will turn a couple of feet below me so I'll rather e sliding down than actually falling. I agree and take the dive. I slide down the tunnel, rapidly picking up speed. Then suddenly I'm falling. I got into the right stance right before hitting the fllor to absorb most of the impact. Whew!

LP Comment : 50 XP for Tumble Check and damage avoidance.

16.jpg

glad.jpg
Hey, what are you doing here?

Uh, I think I've seen this man before. At the Swordfish. He was that ugly big guy who grabbed me, starting all that uproar that nearly got me raped.

glad.jpg
Well?

The man eyes me closely. I'm not sure if he has recognized me.

ai.jpg
(Bluff) I fell down the shaft by accident.

He smirks.

LP Comment: According to the game I succeeded, and gained 80 XP. But..does it change a damn thing?

glad.jpg
Come here.

He reaches out for my waist. I use the opportunity to grasp his arm and gauge his strength. Looks like he would wipe the floor with me. But if I let him take me....No. I won't let him!

ai.jpg
Sorry, no freebie for you!

I jumped back, don my leather outfit and drew Paurie's dagger.

glad.jpg
Heh. Too funny. Cm'here!

17.jpg

I summon a badger servant and engage.

18.jpg

The dagger struck true. Drawing blood on its first strike. But the gladiator looks barely injured. I press my attack.

19.jpg

On the third stab, the gladiator suddenly stopped moving. It's Paurie's dagger effect! It stunned him. I gleefully seize the opportunity and unleash a series of stabs at his chest.

20.jpg

I must've punctured his lungs on the fifth strike. The gladiator gurgled as a fountain of blood flowed from his mouth onto the floor. I felt no pity for him. It's either him or my dignity. I've lost too much recently.

21.jpg

I quickly searched his pockets and seize the key out of his room. I return to the shadow and dismiss my summoned badger as a precaution.

22.jpg

The door opens, and I spot the Dhorn informant! There's too many gladiators for me to take on at once. I'll need to inform Master Nathan about this.

23.jpg

Old habits die hard, I loot a nearby chest and took a magical axe along with a gem.

24.jpg

It's a good thing I prepared some thieves tools, the lock is too complex for me to pick with basic tools. The 900 gold I paid for the picks is worth every penny.

25.jpg

As I evade detection and went past several cells of arena monsters, I inch closer to my freedom.

26.jpg

Finally, I'm on the main floor. I went past two gargoyle statues only to hear a strange crumbling sound behind me. The stone gargoyles are alive! It's a good thing I remain in the shadows.

27.jpg

The gladiator key fits the portcullis, and I'm home free.

All in all, not a bad run.

28.jpg

29.jpg

These will fetch a fine price at the black market.

Later...

30.jpg

nat.jpg
Aisha.
ai.jpg
I know where the Dhorn informants are. They are gladiators, hiding in the pits below the arena.
nat.jpg
You are sure?
ai.jpg
I recognized one of them as the man I overheard talking to the Dhorn officer in the sewers.

He rubs his chin thoughtfully and nod.

nat.jpg
I see. Well, this calls for certain actions...

I held my breath. We're going to kill them, right? I watch as he makes eye contact with his bodyguard.

nat.jpg
Get Vico.

RK47

Patron
Getting raped requires no skill nor combat check, and you'll still fulfill the identify informant requirement.
Guess Valine wants players to pass the mandatory content no matter what.

Shadowdancer's pretty powerful when you powergame just for the Hide in Plain Sight feat. But I'd like to RP a bit and invest a few levels in Shadowdancer, just to spice things up a bit. Because hiding, sneak attack, then hiding again gets very boring.
:/

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
RK47 said:
Shadowdancer's pretty powerful when you powergame just for the Hide in Plain Sight feat. But I'd like to RP a bit and invest a few levels in Shadowdancer, just to spice things up a bit. Because hiding, sneak attack, then hiding again gets very boring.
:/

Only take shadowdancer for powergaming purposes, bro. Every level besides the first is extremely subpar compared to standard rogue levels. You get fewer skills and no sneak attack progression. In fact, considering you're already stuck with 2 classes with 3/4 BAB I'm not sure you can multiclass at all and still expect to hit the broad side of a barn.

Drakron

Arcane
Shadowdancer is usually taken by powergamers that want the hide in plain sight, there is more then that like Shadow evade that is not bad but I suppose you can offset with gear and if you have Cleric levels then you can replace the Shadow Dancer spells with better things.

Breaking Axe

Educated
Oh yeah, definitely take assassin if you're going to do more than level dip into shadowdancer.

RK47

Patron

:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom