Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Dance with Rogues - 47 - Divided We Stand (Finished)

My Princess will be Augmented

• The Cloak - Shadowdancer

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • The Dagger - Assassin

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
RK47> At first I was pretty skeptical about this mod but after seeing it progress since the first encounter I am starting to find it very interesting. Some good points are made by fellow magazine enthusiasts, I share a couple of points:

The story and character are engaging for you - the player - are getting the sense that you really want to accomplish something (revenge) but in this stage it is too far away. The way it plays out reminds me a bit of PS:T for the first time I played it, I expected to regain past memories much sooner but it became the arc of the game or so to say. We are used to action-reaction and not being able to extract our revenge now is quite frustrating but also keeps you from going back to the game to advance. Now I do know not everyone plays this for revenge but this is just from my own perspective.

I really like that unlike in other cRPGs you just cannot walk into Mordor.. what I mean is, usually areas that would fuck you up (no pun intended) are artificially sealed off or have ample warning as :"are you sure you want to continue beyond this point" or whatever. Also guards don't bother about shit unless you start killing off the populace and even then they could be quite forgiving lol. (leave area, come back).

Here it was damn, the tea shop just closed before we got there, need to get back, let's try this alley, FUUUU- now most mainstream cRPGs would have a way out but there you go, robbed, raped and arrested. It does project an authentic image of life in a medieval-like world for a "normal" person in this case the protagonist.

Also the interview linked is a good read about the creators motivation and inspiration in this case.

Thanks for doing this LP.

Hekateras

Educated
@BlackCat, you're completely right (and I had to keep nodding at your earlier post in this thread) in that some people DO find it entertaining. That's not the point. What I objected to was the complaint that the (brutal, chilling, realistic) instances of rape should have been made deliberately entertaining. In other words, a story like this can depict rape realistically or depict it in an entertaining way that caters to people's fantasies, and I objected to the expectation that the later should be the case, and the attitude that it's somehow a detriment of the story if it chooses the realistic portrayal, instead.

Breaking Axe said:
I don't know, what about those who survive stabbings? What about those who have been brutally beaten? What about those who have been to war and seen their comrades die under an onslaught of bullets? What about those who have been mugged and were uncertain whether they'd survive the encounter? These experiences aren't that uncommon, Just in my own life I know multiple people who have been to war and survived a firefight, but none who have suffered rape, at least that I am aware of. None of these things are just or desirable, and in a fair world no one would go through these experiences, but they do all the same, and we feature them in our entertainment comedy and drama. Why can't the same standard be applied? What is the divide that makes certain traumas untouchable where others are fair game?

Another fair point, and my answer, which I'm aware may not sound satisfactory, is that certain traumas simply are more severe than others. A single instance of rape tends to be far more traumatising than a single instance of a mugging or, say, a failed stabbing, not lastly because of the whole victim-blaming stigma that is prevalent in rape culture, ("She was asking for it", "She shouldn't have worn a skirt", etc.) - indeed, failing to get unconditional support from friends and family or, gods forbid, the authorities (as is all too common) is often the most traumatic part of rape. At least if you're mugged, nobody tells you that it was "just a misunderstanding" and that you're "overreacting".

The fact is that some cultures treat rape as a fate worse than death and that in the media there is a prevalent "rape is a special kind of evil" mentality, and the willingness to commit it is often the difference between a charismatic villain and a villain who is considered irredeemable. That would indicate that I'm not the only one who feels that there's a boundary to be drawn there, regardless of logic.

The only instance out of that list I would consider to be potentially equal or higher on the trauma level is the situation of shell-shocked soldiers. Still, like I said above, at least there's no victim-blaming, and they get full support (not to mention generally treatment with respect) if they need it. (By all means correct me if I'm wrong.)

but none who have suffered rape, at least that I am aware of

Since you don't have a rape survivor radar and it's not something a person likes to telegraph to everyone around them, that statement says absolutely nothing. Statistics are a funny thing. If you know 33 men, chances are one is a rapist. If you know six (or four, depending on whether "ambiguous" cases like date rape are included) women, chances are one has been raped. I'm guessing you probably know a lot more people than that, so draw the appropriate conclusions.

Edit: I'm not trying to justify anything, either for or against, I just do not understand the logic behind this, from my view, double standard. Like, for some reason male on male rape is considered comedic, but male on female isn't? I don't get it. Call me aspie or something, it just doesn't make sense to me. Either it has to be every one of these traumatic experiences is acceptable as entertainment, or none of them are.

Female on male rape is considered comedic, yes. So is prison rape. One could argue that neither of those is okay, and that one should combat that attitude when one encounters it.

Let me just say I appreciate the thoughtful and respectful tone of your post, and hope I didn't offend.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Hekateras

I'm sorry, then. Totally misunderstood you on that one, my bad. Have hugs.

:love:

That point's yours, yes. No argument there.

lightbane

Arcane
I like how a somewhat obscure mod for a very old game, where a fictional woman is raped produces some elaborated posts more interesting to read than 60% of General Discussion's content (by the way, if I recall correctly wasn't there thread about how could a game include tasteful rape and how should be done?? Or that creepy thread asking if it was ok to beat a woman. What about these?).

RK, I asked for the alignment because I think you haven't posted it, either my sight is worse than I thought or you forgot to include the alignment when you posted that pic with character sheet.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
lightbane said:
I like how a somewhat obscure mod for a very old game, where a fictional woman is raped produces some elaborated posts more interesting to read than 60% of General Discussion's content.

This LP is like a good book, GD is like a reading tweets

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
lightbane said:
I like how a somewhat obscure mod for a very old game, where a fictional woman is raped produces some elaborated posts more interesting to read than 60% of General Discussion's content (by the way, if I recall correctly wasn't there thread about how could a game include tasteful rape and how should be done?? Or that creepy thread asking if it was ok to beat a woman. What about these?).

RK, I asked for the alignment because I think you haven't posted it, either my sight is worse than I thought or you forgot to include the alignment when you posted that pic with character sheet.

She's still Neutral Good at the moment...but we'll be ...uh..shifting those points shortly...because the circumstances calls for it. Totally in-character btw. This module continues to impress me.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
(By all means correct me if I'm wrong.)
Understanding shell-shock and PTSD is a fairly new phenomenon, mostly being understood after the Gulf War '91 and so, even if victims suffering from them might get support and understanding during and after earlier periods. During WW2, it was very common for PTSD-soldiers to be frowned upon, that they were less manly and more cowardly than other, seemingly unaffected soldiers. Nowadays we know that almost all soldiers get nightmares and stress, though the severity depends on the individual and the exact nature of hardship they have gone through.

@Black Cat, I can understand the rape fantasy, I know it's common enough amongst women, what I was railing against was the idea that a game should not provide any room for alternative styles. In Enzio, it seemed that the whole game was made for yayoi-fangirls wanting to see a pretty boy getting raped again and again and even if the player doesn't want that, there's nothing (s)he can do, aside from not playing. Similarly, this NWN module would suck is the only path Aisha can take is to fall in love with her rapist, Vico.

As to not appreciating nuanced characters, how can anyone do that quite yet when the only thing we know about Vico is that he's a violent rapist, with "not being a murderer" his only redeeming quality. Maybe the module will change our opinion on him later, which would be an example of stellar writing.

korenzel

Educated
DwarvenFood said:
I really like that unlike in other cRPGs you just cannot walk into Mordor.. what I mean is, usually areas that would fuck you up (no pun intended) are artificially sealed off or have ample warning as :"are you sure you want to continue beyond this point" or whatever. Also guards don't bother about shit unless you start killing off the populace and even then they could be quite forgiving lol. (leave area, come back).
There was some warning about the dark and dangerous alley, if you look closely in the message log. There's actually quite a lot of the character's thoughts in there.

Hekateras said:
@BlackCat, you're completely right (and I had to keep nodding at your earlier post in this thread) in that some people DO find it entertaining. That's not the point. What I objected to was the complaint that the (brutal, chilling, realistic) instances of rape should have been made deliberately entertaining. In other words, a story like this can depict rape realistically or depict it in an entertaining way that caters to people's fantasies, and I objected to the expectation that the later should be the case, and the attitude that it's somehow a detriment of the story if it chooses the realistic portrayal, instead.
I never implied the story should have gone one way or the other, just that as it lacks any kind of humor it should come as no surprise than it shocks a number of people. Whether or not it is detrimental to the story remains to be seen, but if the goal was to hook up the player character with Vico then things have taken a rather bad start.

Hekateras said:
Another fair point, and my answer, which I'm aware may not sound satisfactory, is that certain traumas simply are more severe than others. A single instance of rape tends to be far more traumatising than a single instance of a mugging or, say, a failed stabbing, not lastly because of the whole victim-blaming stigma that is prevalent in rape culture, ("She was asking for it", "She shouldn't have worn a skirt", etc.) - indeed, failing to get unconditional support from friends and family or, gods forbid, the authorities (as is all too common) is often the most traumatic part of rape. At least if you're mugged, nobody tells you that it was "just a misunderstanding" and that you're "overreacting".
Most statistics, including the site you provide, claim that a large majority of the perpetrators of sexual violence come from a close circle of relatives, usually spouses or parents. Rapes by strangers in dark alleys are very rare in comparison. It is my opinion that cases are seldom reported to the appropriate authorities because of this very reason, and not because rape in itself is more shameful a crime than others, or because authorities provide little support to victims.

Since you don't have a rape survivor radar and it's not something a person likes to telegraph to everyone around them, that statement says absolutely nothing. Statistics are a funny thing. If you know 33 men, chances are one is a rapist. If you know six (or four, depending on whether "ambiguous" cases like date rape are included) women, chances are one has been raped. I'm guessing you probably know a lot more people than that, so draw the appropriate conclusions.
When talking about such serious matters, it's better to read one's sources more carefully. The one in thirty three men figure points to men being victims of attempted rape, not perpetrators.

Female on male rape is considered comedic, yes. So is prison rape. One could argue that neither of those is okay, and that one should combat that attitude when one encounters it.
If presented in the same way as this mod's, I can assure you many won't find female on male or male on male rape comedic at all. I certainly won't.

GarfunkeL said:
As to not appreciating nuanced characters, how can anyone do that quite yet when the only thing we know about Vico is that he's a violent rapist, with "not being a murderer" his only redeeming quality. Maybe the module will change our opinion on him later, which would be an example of stellar writing.
You forget his goal when coming to the castle was to assassinate the character's father, so he is a murderer all right. So far, his only redeeming point is that he saved Aisha from the soldiers, and lead her to what seems like a relatively safe place.

RK47

Patron
Previously, in A Dance with Rogues, Aisha was being painted in nude, when several Dhorn Soldiers barged into the artist's studio. What will happen to our heroine now? Read and find out!

Chapter 05: Metal Girl Solid

01.jpg

I clutch the cushion tightly around my bare body.

ai.jpg
(Why did you do it, Aisha?! I'm so stupid! My pack, including my clothes are right under them! There's no way I can escape to the street like this!)
sold.jpg
You and your whore will be arrested at once!
mart.jpg
Please hold on, officer. Let me assure you, there's no need for this drastic course of actions!

LP Comment: I want to sneak out..just to see what happens. But the cutscene paralysis wouldn't let me. :M

mart.jpg
I'm a painter. I was merely creating a piece of art which I intended to hand over to the Dhorn Governor as a token of my appreciation.

My blood froze at that statement. If they see my face...they might recognize me! Damn! This is getting worse by the minute!

mart.jpg
Here, have a look. Isn't it a most beautiful painting? Don't you think the governor would be most pleased looking upon it?

My heart beats faster as the soldiers gather around the painting and gaze at it curiously. I shied away from one of their gazes. Damn you, Mart!!!

sold.jpg
Hardly. The Governor is a man of faith. He has no need for this...filth!
mart.jpg
You have to believe me, my only intention was to create a piece of art!
sold.jpg
You call this art?!
mart.jpg
Look how well it reflects her face. You almost think you can touch her cheeks...
sold.jpg
I only see breasts and pubic hair. :rpgcodex:

LP Comment: :lol:

sold.jpg
But, okay. I shall spare you and the whore. This time. Consider yourself be warned however. Next time you're going to jail.

I sighed in relief. Looks like my fortune's looking up. Mart grinned at me and gave me a nervous thumbs up.

sold.jpg
We'll take the painting with us so it will be stored in a safe place, away from the public.

Oh, no!

sold.jpg
Don't let us catch you in a similar situation again!

The captain orders one of his men to take the painting. My heartbeat accelerates once again. Perhaps I could convince them to destroy it here? My tongue remained tied as they finished draping the canvas and left with the painting.

mart.jpg
Whew, that was close! I greatly apologize to you, M'lady!
ai.jpg
I'm still in trouble! If they recognize me...they will know!
mart.jpg
I...I'm sorry. But I couldn't bring myself to omit your beautiful features. You are so strikingly beautiful, my brush just wouldn't stop once we started...
ai.jpg
Darn! I'm wasting my time talking with you!
mart.jpg
Perhaps you could try to retrieve the painting? They're probably taking it to their administrative building in the western part of the city...
ai.jpg
Where is it?
mart.jpg
It's a big building along the western city wall. It is where they store everything they confiscate.
mart.jpg
Please, take this money...it's all I have.
ai.jpg
You do know that you might get me killed?
mart.jpg
*Pales.* I'm...very very sorry, M'lady. I pray that it doesn't come to that.

I'm wasting my time, I need to hurry! I quickly grabbed my pay and dressed up. I dashed towards Igor's shop and requested for a wooden shield and better armor.

02.jpg

I don't know if it'll protect me from the guards. I don't plan to fight them, but if it comes to that...

03.jpg

I stood outside the administration building and sighed. The security is so tight...I took a walk around it and found no weak points. There's no choice, I have to talk to one of them.

04.jpg

ai.jpg
Please, I need to speak with a Dhorn official. It is a matter of great importance.
patrol.jpg
Are you deaf?! Go away!
ai.jpg
Maybe there's a way I could make it worthwhile for you if you allowed me in?

I didn't think it'll work, but I am desperate.

patrol.jpg
If you are not gone within 10 seconds, you'll taste my halberd!

I backed off in despair. I stared at the ground, weighing my options. Maybe...maybe I have to go back to Master Nathan and tell him what happened.

05.jpg

ai.jpg
Who are you?

The man has the trappings of a wizard. Curious.

shan.jpg
I am Shander. I could not help but notice your, let's say, futile attempts to get into the administration building. I could help you perhaps.
ai.jpg
How?
shan.jpg
Meet me at my house. I live here in the western part of the city. The address is 3, Squire's Road.

This could be a trap...but I have no choice. It's either the Dhorn get me ...and I think I can face down a lone wizard...as long as he doesn't get a spell off.

06.jpg

I surveyed his house. It is modestly decorated, and has most things expected of a wizard's house. He smiles when he sees me walking up to him.

ai.jpg
You said you could help me?
shan.jpg
Straight to the point. I see. Uh, I believe you haven't even told me your name.
ai.jpg
It's Tina.
shan.jpg
Well met, Tina.

He smiles and bows.

ai.jpg
Nice to meet you, too.
shan.jpg
So the Dhorn took something from you and you want it back?
ai.jpg
Yes.
shan.jpg
Happens to me all the time. About once a week the patrol visits me, searches through my laboratory, spots something they consider 'dangerous' and moves it off to their cellars, thinking it's well hidden down there. It was rather annoying at first, but not anymore now.
ai.jpg
No?
shan.jpg
I'm a wizard. I always keep various things that the Dhorn are afraid of. But now I've created a teleport spell that gets me into and out of their cellars in no time at all!
ai.jpg
So, you could teleport in and get what they took from me?
shan.jpg
No, I won't do that. But I could send YOU in so you can retrieve your stuff yourself.
ai.jpg
Uh, why would you do this?
shan.jpg
What did they take from you, anyway?
ai.jpg
(Bluff) A necklace my grandmother gave to me when I was a little child.
shan.jpg
Oh, I see. Well, okay...Reagents, preparing the spell, casting the spell. Also, the risk involved...Let's say, 100 gold coins.
ai.jpg
I don't have that much.
shan.jpg
I'm not in a rush. Just come back to me when you've got the money.

Perhaps I could work for him?

ai.jpg
Maybe I could pay you in a different way?
shan.jpg
Hm? How?
ai.jpg
I could work for you?
shan.jpg
I don't think I need an apprentice.
ai.jpg
I've got other talents. I'm a pickpocket and a thief.
shan.jpg
*He chuckles* Are you telling me that I should watch out for my belongings while you're here?
ai.jpg
Well, no, but maybe there's something you might want me to...acquire for you?

He scratches his chin.

shan.jpg
I don't know. If you get caught...I don't think these are good times to be involved in illegal activities.
ai.jpg
(Persuade) Your name won't come up in any case. I promise.
shan.jpg
I will take no risks. Just come back to me when you've got the money.

Damn him, there's...really no options left is there?

ai.jpg
I could...uh..spend a night with you.
shan.jpg
Uh...you mean, you and I?
ai.jpg
You like girls, don't you?
shan.jpg
I don't know if that's such a good idea, honestly.
ai.jpg
Don't you think I'm pretty?
shan.jpg
Oh, but you are!
ai.jpg
But..?
shan.jpg
I barely know you. And you don't know anything about me at all.
ai.jpg
(Bluff) But I'd like to get to know you better! I've always admired wizards, you are all so smart! And you, you are a very handsome one, too.

He blushes deeply and lowers his gaze.

shan.jpg
Oh, why, thank you...Okay. So, uh. We do this right away?
ai.jpg
Perhaps you can teleport me first? Then we'll do this once I'm back?
shan.jpg
Uh, no, no, right now's fine. I was just asking.
ai.jpg
Fine, do you have a bedroom?
shan.jpg
Yes...Over there.

LP Comment: 100 gold...ain't no fucking way I'm grinding cash, besides let's LARP a desperate girl. Pretend there's a time limit. C'mon, impose some narrative challenge, yeah?

07.jpg

shan.jpg
Uh...turn around while I undress, will you?
ai.jpg
Seriously?

LP Comment: :M

shan.jpg
Please?
ai.jpg
Okay, okay.

I turn my back to him. While I studied the room, he gets rid of his clothing. After a short while I hear him lying down on the bed. I turned around and see he has drawn the blankets up to his chest and looks at me with an embarrassed smile.

ai.jpg
Have you been with a woman before?
shan.jpg
Yes, of course!

LP Comment: You mean, your mother.

ai.jpg
Just asking.
shan.jpg
May I watch you undress?
ai.jpg
You want to watch, but I may not?

He shrugs with an unsure expression on his face.

ai.jpg
Fine.

He leans back, his eyes focused on me as I quickly slip out of my clothes. He clears his throat when I was done.
shan.jpg
You're very...beautiful.
ai.jpg
Why, thank you.

I climbed onto the bed and I noticed him staring at my breasts, then he suddenly winces.

shan.jpg
Oh..Oh...Oh.

LP comment: What. The. Fuck.

There's an odd expression on his face as his body tenses. Then he closes his eyes and lets out a soft sigh.

ai.jpg
Is..everything okay?

He looks away.

ai.jpg
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..

He looks very embarrassed.

ai.jpg
So..what about the teleportation spell?
shan.jpg
Oh, just be gone, you..!

He waves his arm and uttered an incarnation. I was in shock, and was caught totally off-guard.

07a.jpg

I scrambled in horror for my pack, and watched as the laboratory disappear. Along with my clothes!

Music: Metal Gear Solid - Encounter

08.jpg

LP Comment: :lol: This game is AMAZING. I can actually avoid this...I THINK, if I wasn't rude at Shan's situation. But fuck it. Let's roll with it!

ai.jpg
OK. I'm in trouble now...I'm naked somewhere deep in a building full of Dhorn Soldiers! *Crouches.* It's so dark.

Suddenly Aisha's right ear lobe vibrates!

10a.jpg

ai.jpg
COLONEL!
col.jpg
Little Aisha! How is the King?
ai.jpg
I'm afraid he's deal, Colonel.
col.jpg
That's terrible news...it seems you are deeply distressed, Aisha.
ai.jpg
I'm in trouble, Colonel. I'm dropped behind the enemy lines without clothes on!
col.jpg
*Swallows hard.* Uh...really?
ai.jpg
Yes, colonel! What should I do?
col.jpg
Could you...uh...say that again, never mind. Do you still have anything with you?
ai.jpg
My pack survived the insertion.
col.jpg
That's good. At least you didn't have to acquire weapons on site. Listen, Aisha, I myself is in deep trouble here. Foreigners have come and instigated a rebellion. My faithful troops are betraying me. You are on your own, Aisha. I fear I may share the same fate as your father...
ai.jpg
I'm sorry to hear that, Colonel.
col.jpg
A word of advice..perhaps you should remain hidden...it doesn't matter if you're naked. As long as they can't find you. Besides, being bare-footed means you're less likely to be heard when moving around.
ai.jpg
I'll take that advice to heart, Colonel. Aisha, out.
col.jpg
Allah, be with you. Aisha. And beware of the LaLiLuLeLo.

LP comment: This is probably the 'Stealth or be fucked' section Black Cat is talking about. Nyan-chan is right. I got killed so many times and had to save scum to avoid frustration. Combat isn't feasible and the AI isn't as retarded as Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

09.jpg

I can see light outside the portcullis. I hid in the shadows and watch the guards patrol. Across the warehouse I am in, I can see a wooden door. That, should be one of the store room where my painting could be kept. I picked he portcullis lock and prepare to make a dash for it.

10.jpg

Alright, the guard is away...I dashed towards the door and found it locked. I quickly jimmied it open.

col.jpg
Aisha! They've found you! RUN!

Oh shit.

11.jpg

12.jpg

col.jpg
Aisha? Come in Aisha? AISHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LP Comment: :M So, yeah. That wasn't me not hiding y'know. it was simply because I DID NOT CLOSE THE DOOR BEHIND ME. That's RIGHT, Bros. The GUARDS PAID ATTENTION TO WHICH DOORS ARE OPENED AND CLOSED. If you leave it open, they WILL investigate. I don't know how Valine coded this in, but this is pretty awesome stuff. It's 'Oh Gawd It's Heavan' moment, I tell ya.

13.jpg

Right, if I close the door behind me. The guards will not check. Even better, I could use this knowledge to leave some doors open so they'll go an investigate, while I sneak behind them to another direction! You go, girl!

14.jpg

The locked chests did not hold my painting, but a multitude of usable traps are inside. I can't use these yet, I've yet to train myself. But the Thieves Tools are invaluable.

15.jpg

I returned to my original storehouse...and left the other metal door open.

16.jpg

And run to the opposite direction when the guard investigate!

17.jpg

Without warning, a click was heard! And suddenly my eardrums were assaulted by a high piercing noise. A sonic trap! How careless of me!

18.jpg

Thankfully, none of the guards spotted me and I continued on towards the next store room.

19.jpg

I did not have much time before the guard found the portcullis open. I hid in the corner of the dark room while he surveyed the spot.

20.jpg

Satisfied, he closed the door and moved on. I scanned the room and found a pack of blood hounds in a cage at the corner of the room. Better stay away...

21.jpg

Inside is a box full of their feed. I looted them anyway, who knows the marketplace might pay a pretty price for some meat.

22.jpg

I waited for the guards to pass by and picked the next metal door across.

23.jpg

Inside I found a locked cabinet with the label 'indecent clothing.' Curious.

24.jpg

Oh.

25.jpg

Hmm.

LP Comment: :hmmm:

26.jpg

These stockings won't help me sneak much...and still leave me exposed.

27.jpg

But I found a spare thong and put it on...covering my nakedness somewhat.

28.jpg

Next door is up.

29.jpg

Inside one of the crates is my painting! Yes!

30.jpg

Uh oh! In my celebration, I forgot to close the door! Thankfully the guard didn't notice.

31.jpg

I peeked at the hallway and noticed a pressure plate. I'm not about to repeat the same mistake again.

32.jpg

This dark storehouse should hold something of use...

33.jpg

Whoops, close call.

34.jpg

Ah! A key! Yes!

35.jpg

I'm free!

36.jpg

To the next level :(

37.jpg

More guards patrol the upper level and the place is so bright. I must not take any chances, yet I cannot resist the impulse to check the small study with opened doors.

38.jpg

As I entered the study, the footsteps of the guard came closer. I quickly hid behind the bookcase.

39.jpg

It was worth the risk. I stuffed the gold into my pouch and gently tuck the gems into my pack.

40.jpg

Across the study is another larger library of sorts. A maid spotted me and gasps in surprise. I quickly shut the door behind me.

ai.jpg
Hi, do you work here?
maid.jpg
Dear Gods, are you crazy? Do you know what they do with intruders?
ai.jpg
I can imagine it isn't entirely pleasant.
maid.jpg
What in the name of King Hussein are you doing here?
ai.jpg
I'm just taking back what the Dhorn have stolen from me.
maid.jpg
Oh my god, a thief! You must be either really reave or really stupid to try your luck here!
ai.jpg
I'm kinda stuck, do you know a way out by chance?
maid.jpg
There's no way out! The entrance door is magically warded, and only the guards can open it. Not even a mouse can escape!
ai.jpg
Oh that's great!
maid.jpg
However, maybe...if you pretend to be a maid, you could be lucky. They hardly ever spare us a second glance so I doubt that you'd raise their suspicion. You'd need a worker's outfit of course.

I considered taking it from her, but I doubt I could convince her to prance naked in the building. And killing her would ruin the outfit. I have to find it on my own.

ai.jpg
But where would I find such an outfit?
maid.jpg
There's a small room on this floor, in the east wing, where they keep various clothes. You should be able to find a maid's dress there. Then all you have to do is talk to the guards at the main gate and convince them that your shift is over or something like that.
ai.jpg
I will try that, thank you...

41.jpg

Thankfully, the whole trip to the storage didn't cause any incident, only that I wasted my lockpicking tools on another door. I put on the disguise and came out of hiding, as the maid had said, the guards left me alone. I gingerly make my way to the exit.

42.jpg

ai.jpg
(Bluff) Outside? My shift is over.
patrol.jpg
All right, you may pass.

I suppressed my emotions as I walked outside, my instincts telling me to run, yet I manage my pace carefully, so as not to arouse suspicions.

43.jpg

I made it out safely to the cold night air.

ai.jpg
YES!

The guards scratched their head and shrugged. It must be happiest maid they've seen to ever leave the building.

lightbane

Arcane
LOL at that wizard. His magic may be powerful, but he lacked training at using his "magic stick" :M :M

Also: Incredible, a stealth section that actually works!!

Duckard

Augur
This module is surprising me with every update. The infiltration and escape sequence from the administrative building seems like a solid stealth mission. Unexpectedly gameplay focused.

Cassidy

Arcane
Some people claim there is a good game behind all the rape and gratuitous Uncanny Valley nudity in this one.

If you can't separate them "No Honor Among Thieves" is a good rogue-centric module too. I like rogues when a module or game allows them to be more than just the party's diplomat and lockpicker and the sneak attack supports for a tank when killing generic fodder mob #9001 . I think it is because Thief: The Dark Project is my favorite game next to Fallout 1.

Erebus

Arcane
If the module has more of this than it has rape scenes in which the choices you're offered have no purpose but to make sure you keep identifying to your abused protagonist, it might be worth actually playing for somebody who doesn't have the same fetishes as the author.

I had more or less decided to stop taking this module seriously, but I think I'll reserve my judgement a bit longer after all.

Black Cat

Magister
@ RK47

Yes, that one is indeed one of those scenes I was refering to.

It also got me by surprise the first time, as usually role playing games have much more abstract stealth systems.

RK47

Patron
Erebus said:
If the module has more of this than it has rape scenes in which the choices you're offered have no purpose but to make sure you keep identifying to your abused protagonist, it might be worth actually playing for somebody who doesn't have the same fetishes as the author.

I had more or less decided to stop taking this module seriously, but I think I'll reserve my judgement a bit longer after all.

Yeah I hope so too. So far so good. There's always the usual 'Hurr durr I want joo' types, but I can accept it as long it's not a forced one like the first. Gawd, I love weekends. Incoming update soon! As well as a secret side LP project... :smug:

There's no need to buy games with all these classic modules! :love:

RK47

Patron
Chapter 06: A Challenger Appears

I made my way to Shander's house, hoping to retrieve the armor I left behind. I'm sure Shander wouldn't mind returning it if I ask him nicely. I giggled when I remembered what happened moments before the teleport. I didn't bother knocking at his door, I want it to be a surprise.

01.jpg

Shander?

02.jpg

Oh no! They killed him! I quickly put a palm to my mouth to stop myself from crying out.

03.jpg

I'm sorry Shander for getting you involved. I hope you can find peace...I quietly slipped out of the house, making a mental note of another atrocity that the Dhorn committed. I need a place to hide the painting, and the Bear's Pit is probably the safest place.

04.jpg

05.jpg

ai.jpg
Thank you.
car.jpg
So what's up, sunshine?
ai.jpg
I've completed one of my lessons!
car.jpg
Oh yeah?
ai.jpg
I got some training in arms. From Hatori. He runs a tea-shop in the city.
car.jpg
Yeah, I know him. Odd guy, isn't he?
ai.jpg
I think he's pretty friendly, especially for a weapon master.
car.jpg
I don't know. A guy who drinks nothing but tea is more than suspect to me. Plus, I've never seen him around with a girl. Who can say what he and his disciple do in that cellar of his?
ai.jpg
Caron!
car.jpg
Yes, you're right. We probably don't want to know. *Grins.* But it's good that he trained you.
ai.jpg
I've got a lot left to learn though.
car.jpg
Well, I wouldn't mind having a little romp with you every now and then. *Smirks.*
ai.jpg
Sure, if you don't mind a few bruises.
car.jpg
I think I'd be more than wiling to pay that price. *Laughs.*
ai.jpg
Is that so?
car.jpg
Which reminds me...

He suddenly turns serious.

LP Comment: Dun dun dun~~

ai.jpg
Yes?
car.jpg
Vico was here earlier.

LP Comment: :rage:

car.jpg
Spoke to Trissa for a while and then was all puffed up. I think she told him that you and I were talking every now and then.
ai.jpg
Uh oh.
car.jpg
He wasn't very happy and cussed and threatened me.
ai.jpg
He threatened you?
car.jpg
*Shrugs.* As you can see, I'm not that easily intimidated. *Smiles.*
ai.jpg
Vico's really a jerk.
car.jpg
Is it true that you and he...
ai.jpg
Yes, Caron?
car.jpg
Did you really sleep with him?

LP Comment: Grrr.

ai.jpg
He said that?
car.jpg
You don't have to answer though if you don't want to. He...hinted at it anyway.
ai.jpg
Gods, he's really an asshole.

Caron looks at me expectantly.

ai.jpg
I...I didn't sleep with him. He forced himself on me.
car.jpg
What?
ai.jpg
But I got over it, Caron. It's been a while...

I don't want to involve Caron into my plot for revenge. He would've gotten himself killed for nothing.

car.jpg
Oh dear...I'm truly sorry to hear that, Aisha...

He looks at me, full of compassion. My cheeks warmed all the sudden.

ai.jpg
You...you don't think less of me now, do you..?
car.jpg
Oh, no! How could I? I'm sorry for the remarks I've made, and for touching you...
ai.jpg
No, Caron. Don't be. You couldn't have known.
car.jpg
I really cannot believe it. *He shakes his head.* I mean, I was suspecting that something awful had happened to you, but not that it had been Vico. And he's got the nerve to tell ME to stay away from you!
ai.jpg
Maybe I should speak to Master Nathan.
car.jpg
I'm not sure if that'd help much.

He's right. I'm sure Vico and Master Nathan are close. Reporting it to Master Nathan wouldn't change anything. Carson puts his hand on my shoulder and looks straight at me.

car.jpg
Aisha...Please, if I ever do anything that makes you uncomfortable, tell me. Okay? I was trying to lift your spirits with my remakrs, but I can see now that you probably do not want any of that for a while...

LP Comment: Awwwwww. My blood sugar levels just increased. *Takes insulin.* Hey guys, so how about hooking up with Angel Boy here? But there's more 'suitors' out there to be found, I think. Stay tuned!

ai.jpg
I will, Caron. Thank you.

He smiles and nods. I smiled back at him as I returned to my room and unpack my belongings.

06.jpg

Carefully, I wrapped my portrait and stuffed it into my armoire. The bulky traps would have to go there, too. I'm just not skilled enough to use them yet. And selling them seems like a waste. Satisfied with the arrangement, I took a moment to pray to the Lord for his guidance.

07.jpg

The Knowledge domain helped me understand the dark outfit before me. Its haughty nature and how it can be exploited in shady business.

08.jpg

I decided to leave the maid outfit behind and wear this one from now on.

09.jpg

10.jpg

The rest of the loot like gems and such has to go. I walked to the marketplace but found that it wasn't open in early morning. Thankfully, Igor is an early riser and offered fair coins for my ill-gotten gains. My pouch gained weight, and I felt more confident of taking on that giant spider in that abandoned house.

11.jpg

Upon arriving, I called upon my badger servant and asked for blessings from the Almighty.

12.jpg

The battle went differently, the morningstar delivered its weight and the wooden shield parried a few blows. I defeated the vile creature with barely a scratch.

13.jpg

Scanning the dark room for anything of use, I stumbled upon an unlit torch on the floor.

14.jpg

The light showed me there were doors behind the cobwebs. After minutes of tearing through the webs...I picked the lock and descended deeper into the basement...

15.jpg

Looks like a sewer passage. Phew!

16.jpg

A lone rat cowered at my approach, I didn't give it much of a chance and slaughtered it. Past it, a locked door stood. The lock is trapped. I have to be careful.

17.jpg

Upon opening the door, a foul aroma invaded my nostril. This room is probably used as a privy. There is a ladder leading up, with light shining above it.

18.jpg

I seem to have made my way into someone's house. Perhaps this is an opportunity to gain additional valuables. I put out my torch and inched closer to the doorway.

19.jpg

My blood froze at what I saw. It's them! The bastards who raped me in that dark alley. This must be their hideout during the day!

20.jpg

I spotted a cabinet nearby and decided to try my luck, oh! This looks familiar! My stained clothes! I quietly fold it and shove it into my pack before retreating back to the sewers. One day, I shall return and plunge a dagger into them as they sleep!

21.jpg

The other locked door behind the cobwebs leads to a different place...

22.jpg

A tomb. Screeches of bats echo in the distance. I tightened my grip and inched forward.

23.jpg

The bats cowered as I took a wild swing at them. Once they were dispatched I began to work on the three sarcophagus in the room. They were barely worth the trouble. Only six gold piece sin one of them.

24.jpg

Still, there is another door....with a zombie behind it!

25.jpg

I doubled back and call upon the Almighty's blessing to repel the undead, to no avail. Finding no shelter from the Divine, I swung with all my might as my badger servant tore into the undead flesh.

26.jpg

The lumbering pile of flesh finally collapsed and I stood exhausted. My badger servant whined as blood flowed from his body.

27.jpg

A robed body lay on the floor. A necromancer, perhaps? It didn't matter, I searched the cadaver for any valuables and recovered a dagger and a torch from his hands. His pockets contained two scrolls and a healing potion. A well-deserved reward!

28.jpg

The trapped chest nearby yielded a strange, small bag accompanied by a trio of torches, a bottle of healing potion and an unused trap kit. I snagged them all.

29.jpg

Deeper inside, I was finally rewarded for my patience with a dusty suit of chain hauberk from one of the sarcophagus. I clutched it tightly and sang praises to the Almighty for his bountiful blessings this day.

Carefully dusting away the suit, I donned it around my body.

30.jpg

I felt more confident than ever as I emerge from the abandoned house.

32.jpg

It was late night when I emerged from the tombs, and I decided to continue my search for a beggar, willing to sell me their clothes. Tired from a long search, I decided to try my luck at a local tavern, 'The Swordfish.'

As I entered, all of the patrons' eyes turned at me. I pretend not to notice. Thick clouds of smoke fill the air, and there's a lot of cussing, laughing, talking, swearing..It's the typical kind of tavern you'd expect in a harbour area. Maybe I can find...a beggar in here? What am I thinking, really?

33.jpg

ai.jpg
Hey!

I turn around to find a huge man towering over me, his head bald, his ears pointed of sorts, his thick chest buldging with muscles. He laughs and squeezes me tightly, then gives me a wet kiss upon my mouth!
ai.jpg
Stop that!

I try to push him away as another patron staggers up to me and grabs my hands.

34.jpg

ai.jpg
I guess I'll try to play along...

I danced a few steps with the patron.

35.jpg

ai.jpg
Hey, okay, sure...as soon as I'm finished here.

Okay, maybe they're harmless. Just lonely men...

36.jpg

ai.jpg
Easy, okay?

More and more patrons crowd around me, tug at me, shove me around. They all try to touch me! I feel my panic rising! I hit some of them, but others grab my arms and legs! I feel like a little sheep in the middle of a pack of wolves. A few hands start tearing off my clothes, displaying my breasts to the crowd. A loud cheer rewards them.

LP Comment: OK. I fucked up. Shit. Sorry.

ai.jpg
STOP IT! HELP!

More men reach out for me and force down my remaining clothes. Another big cheer roars through the tavern!

37.jpg

"Let's take her over to the table!!," one of them shouted.

They lift me up and carried me over to a large, wooden table. More fingers touch and fondle my skin. Somebody even tries to get inside my cleft! I struggle and shut my eyes tightly.

LP Comment: :(

A man pulls down down his pants, grinning as he fishes his member up with his hand, rubbing it. I closed my eyes, fearing for the worst.

arto.jpg
HOLD IT!

LP Comment: The following event is totally NOT what I was expecting.

The whole crowd stopped and turned at the Dhorn leading a small group of soldiers.

38.jpg

man2.jpg
Uh, nothing officer...

The crowd reluctantly makes room for the Dhorn soldiers.

arto.jpg
Nothing?

The Dhorn glances around briefly looking at the man's exposed crotch, his eyes finally resting on me.

arto.jpg
Looks like your idea of nothing doesn't match up with mine.
ai.jpg
These men were going to rape me!
man2.jpg
We...uh..this merely was some innocent fun...
arto.jpg
A naked young woman, spread on a table, surrounded by a crowd of drunkards?

The men do not respond but lower their eyes.

arto.jpg
Go back to your chairs. *He glances at me.* You, stay.

The patrons quiety go back to their tables.

arto.jpg
Could you perhaps tell me what you were doing here?
ai.jpg
Those drunkards suddenly jumped me!
arto.jpg
The temptations of the flesh are great, especially when a man sees a naked woman prancing up and down before him.
ai.jpg
I had my clothes on when I entered the tavern!
arto.jpg
You do know that prostitution is a capital crime, I assume?
ai.jpg
Yes, I do.
arto.jpg
Well, okay. Seeing that we've just arrived in time, I'll be generous. But you'll not enter this...establishment...again.

He turns to his men.

arto.jpg
I want three men to attend this place from now on. If you catch the girl in here again, or anyone else looking for trouble, kill them.

He turns back to me.

arto.jpg
Would you allow me to accompany you on the way out?

He offers his arm.

ai.jpg
Fine...

I nod and take his arm. True to his word, he walks me out of the building, wishes me a good evening and dismisses me. Thankfully my pickpocket outfit weren't torn apart..a little needles and thread is enough to get it back to its serviceable state. I continued my search for a beggar's outfit.

39.jpg

Oh finally, a poor house! Unfortunately none of them are willing to sell their clothes. Damn it! Disheartened, I stepped out of the building and decided to take the alternate option, hiring a dressmaker to make ...a beggar outfit. I turned to another corner to return to the Bear's Pit.

40.jpg

As I made my way past the harbor district, I spotted a lone beggar in one corner of a building. I quickly stepped forward and hailed him to try my luck one final time.

41.jpg

ai.jpg
Are you a beggar?

I studied him, stupidly. What kind of question is that! He chuckles momentarily.

beg.jpg
And you're a smart one, hm?
ai.jpg
I would like to buy your clothes.
beg.jpg
You want my clothes? Ha ha ha! Very funny!
ai.jpg
How much for them?

He blinks.

beg.jpg
You really want them? Yours are much better. Besides, I don't think mine would fit you.
ai.jpg
5 gold coins!
beg.jpg
I think not. Sorry, sweetheart.
ai.jpg
Perhaps you're willing to accept something else?

He chuckles, then eyes me up and down, grinning.

beg.jpg
I kind of suspected you were that kind of girl.
ai.jpg
What are you talking about?
beg.jpg
You've got lovely tits. I sure wouldn't mind taking a look at them.

He smiles, glancing at my breasts.

ai.jpg
Oh.

Asshole. Why are most men scum by nature? Even that Dhorn soldier was better than this!

beg.jpg
Don't play coy with me. I'm sure a pretty thing like you has had offers like this before.
ai.jpg
So what you suggest is I show you my breasts, and then you'll give me your clothes?
beg.jpg
Exactly. *Smiles.*
ai.jpg
No touching, just looking?

He nods.

ai.jpg
You promise?
beg.jpg
Of course. But not here, it wouldn't be good if the Dhorn noticed our little tete-a-tete. Come, I know a private place by the river front.

I clutched my morning star's handle tight behind my back. Like hell I will. I eye him warily.

beg.jpg
The Dhorn would surely arrest us if we did this here, in public. . And what do you fear? I'm just an old man. You'd probably wipe the floor with me if I made a wrong move at you.
ai.jpg
Fine...let's go.
42.jpg

ai.jpg
I've got a better idea!

I draw my morning star and brandished it over his head. He laughs, obviously not too impressed.

beg.jpg
Put your little toy away, girl. Or I'll have to spank you.
ai.jpg
Go to hell!

I attacked!

43.jpg

The attack caught him off guard and he shielded his face with bare hands. Each time he attempted to swing a punch, I would catch it with the spiked tip of my weapon, he cried in pain as his arm bled profusely.

44.jpg

ai.jpg
How does it feel SCUM! TAKE IT! TAKE IT LIKE A MAN!

45.jpg

The blow against his head proved sufficient. A slight crack was heard as the back of his skull slammed against the street. A pool of blood formed around him.

ai.jpg
Phew...bastard...You asked for this.

I undressed him. His erect member came into view, try as I might, I could not suppress my disgust. With a final shout of rage, my morning star descended upon his manhood, bludgeoning it flat.

ai.jpg
I...I'm going to have to wash these before I wear it...and the weapon, too..

I left the body behind, and prayed for forgiveness as I used the Almighty's blessing to heal my wounds.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Wow, um.

How much time in this module does this lady spend butt naked?

And what kind of a bizzare woman writes a fantasy about a princess being stripped, humiliated regularly, put to dirty menial tasks, again humiliated and dirtied by vicious drunk underclassmen, all over again. Like, wow.

Erebus

Arcane
So... walking around naked earns us 10 lashes, prostitution means execution and we've been forbidden to enter a specific tavern again on penalty of death, but attempted rape only results in a mild warning for the culprits ?

I'd make a Muslim joke if I could think of one that was sufficiently tasteless...

lightbane

Arcane
No wonder everyone is so horny all the time, if prostitution was forbidden thanks to the Dhorn :roll:

I played it through, was told about the daily rape and never saw or heard any sign of it happening to any of the other women. Maybe I just missed them all?

RK47

Patron
Wyrmlord said:
Wow, um.

How much time in this module does this lady spend butt naked?

And what kind of a bizzare woman writes a fantasy about a princess being stripped, humiliated regularly, put to dirty menial tasks, again humiliated and dirtied by vicious drunk underclassmen, all over again. Like, wow.

Yeah, I can see the problem clearly. I really don't understand why she pack the whole module full of that. It's starting to get ridiculous IMO. I would've preferred a more balanced approach.

At times, the game can be quite brilliant in delivering the whole premise, and at times I just felt the module is including rape just for the sake of it.

Erebus said:
So... walking around naked earns us 10 lashes, prostitution means execution and we've been forbidden to enter a specific tavern again on penalty of death, but attempted rape only results in a mild warning for the culprits ?

I'd make a Muslim joke if I could think of one that was sufficiently tasteless...

...I'm sure Islam has all the answers. :lol:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Interesting LP this. I dig the story angle/atmosphere for the most part. There are clear motivations for the PC, the characters all seem well-defined and written, activities varied.

Not sure why they call it training when it just seems to be a series of test.

I'm also not sure about whole "not being able to walk 10 paces without someone trying to rape you" thing. What's the purpose of that, really? As effective a storytelling tool as it can be when done well, with impact, once, as it does in the opener here, it just becomes farcical if you keep cycling it as if this is ye olde Ferris Wheel of Rape. Bad narrative there, really. Hope it lightens up on it a bit, it's distracting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom