Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum - Summoner: Goodbye, Arcanum?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
26.jpg

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
:lol:

You'll probably have more chance sending him a PM though, I don't think he logs in frequently anymore.

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
RK47 said:
I've encountered a very strange bug...Kerghan would not resume our conversation after his exposition cinematics...the animation loops....errr...This LP is in limbo until it is resolved. :lol:

WHAT? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

This... this is impossible. You MUST FIND AN ANSWER!

If not... we will need the Final Solution.

Quilty

Magister
What the hell happened here? A bug interrupted this glorious LP?

Whoever knows Arcanum's files inside out (SUP DROG), help this man out. I need this to resume!

RK47

Patron
me.jpg
Look, Arronax. Listen to me! Your father...he sent me here.
arr.jpg
Oh? And that's why you killed him?
me.jpg
You can try killing me after we end this threat. First, I need you to tell me everything.
arr.jpg
Perhaps..it is possible. Yes...maybe I can rectify my mistakes. Father...I..
me.jpg
Look, I know you destroyed Vendrigroth, you can atone for it by helping us out. That's what Nasrudin would've wanted!
01.jpg

me.jpg
Wait, are you trying to tell me you feel guilt over what you did?
arr.jpg
Most certainly. I have had two thousand years of my grievous errors in judgment replaying themselves in my mind. One tends to grow a bit of a conscience in all that time.
me.jpg
Hmmm. That's interesting.
virgil.jpg
Two thousand years? I..I suppose it'll be hard to trust him, but with that sort of time to reflect...

Virgil's musing was cut short by a female's voice who can barely contain her rage.

02.jpg

Arronax didn't flinch.

arr.jpg
Hmmm. Hello. Aren't you just a smarmy young lady. Tell me, just who are you, madam...?
zan.jpg
I am Z'an Al'urin of the Dark Elves, Arronax. The Dark Elves who have worshipped you, despite your defeat at the Ring of Brodgar. Seeing you here in this prison, it seems that little has changed. Great Arronax, the eternally vanquished...
me.jpg
Z'an...
arr.jpg
I'll disregard your comments for now, young woman. You seem rather bitter towards me, and I suppose you have good reason.
me.jpg
Stop being so unreasonable, Arronax!
03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

seb.jpg
Methinks our elven lady friend here has chewed too much bad tobacco, Gilford.
me.jpg
Hush, Seb. Arronax, forgive me if I don't necessarily believe this change of heart...
arr.jpg
What you do or do not believe is of no concern to me, my friend.
me.jpg
You can tell that to the Panarii. For instance, I don't buy your sob story. Why? Because if you're so regretful, why are you trying to return for revenge?
arr.jpg
I have nothing planned, save to live out the rest of my days in peace.
me.jpg
Again with the lies.
arr.jpg
I assure you, it is not a lighthearted jest, though I wish that it were. I have been trapped here since soon after I was banished to this realm.
me.jpg
Who trapped you? Kerghan?
arr.jpg
Yes. It was Kerghan's doing. When I first came here and realized what he was becoming, I attempted to stop him. Our battle was intense, yet brief. As you can see, I was not the victor.
me.jpg
Wasn't he the necromancer that you hated and had banished?
arr.jpg
One and the same. It looks as if I was correct as to the effects of his experimentation. His dark magicks have transformed him hideously, in body and spirit.
me.jpg
So..the prophecy was a lie?
arr.jpg
What prophecy?
me.jpg
Your return from the Void. For revenge. A plot that I uncovered that involves Dark Elves and their evil machinations. You've heard it from Z'an Al'urin, her people desires your return after 'you' contacted them from the Void.
arr.jpg
It sounds as if these dark elves you mentioned have patterned themselves after the misguided philosophy of my youth. They are proving to be powerful allies in his quest to return to Arcanum, it seems. I doubt they would be willing to help Kerghan the Terrible return to exact his revenge.
me.jpg
So Kerghan is the one I'm here to stop.
arr.jpg
That would appear to be the case. If you were able to facilitate my release from this prison, it would be my pleasure to help you destroy Kerghan.
me.jpg
How? Kerghan defeated you last time you fought.
arr.jpg
I am not saying it will be easy to defeat Kerghan. In fact, the attempt might be fatal. Yet I believe it is worth the risk. We cannot let him return to Arcanum, it would mean the end of all life there. I have a few...acquaintances on this side that may be interested in helping us as well, should you succeed in releasing me.
me.jpg
Fine, tell me how I can remove this magical shell?
arr.jpg
I am afraid I do not know. I do not believe Kerghan could maintain this from a distance, so there must be something near here...
me.jpg
The guards. Wait here. I'll take care of them.
arr.jpg
I won't be going anywhere. *Returns to his meditation.* Remember our deal, Gilford. Once Kerghan is dead...we'll settle things between us.
me.jpg
Fine. My original intent was to kill you anyway.

The party steps out of the prison and turn their attention to the guards.

virgil.jpg
So, we're really doing it then?
me.jpg
I don't like it as well. But Arronax seems...genuine?
zan.jpg
He...speaks the truth. The Arronax I know would not have said those words. He has matured.
me.jpg
And here I thought you were going to help me kill him...Still, it must felt good that you cleared things up, Z'an.
zan.jpg
*Looks down.* Yes. The shadow over my spirit is lifted by his words, yet I cannot afford to relax my guard until Kerghan's return is stopped.
me.jpg
Very well. Is everyone ready?

Everyone nods and gets to work.

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

me.jpg
It's high time we showed Kerghan the error of his ways.

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
We're back! Yeah!

Good read RK47 as always and looking forward to the finale of this wonderful LP!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
We're back!!! Huzzah!

Arcanum's finale is so great(ly out of left field).

RK47

Patron
The Void is a dangerous place, and Gilford realize it would be wise to rely on the exiled Arronax, once-Nasrudin's greatest source of pride...and misery.

01.jpg

me.jpg
Do you think they would join us?
arr.jpg
We can only hope. We will have to convince them that Kerghan is a danger to them as well.
torian.jpg
Surely you are not thinking of allowing the Bane of Kree, the butcher of my people to join us? That cur must die for his deeds!
arr.jpg
The choice is yours. Gorgoth is nothing more than a mindless beast, Kraka-Tur might take some convincing. Shall we move?
me.jpg
How do we find them?
arr.jpg
I don't know. We will need to find a way to navigate amongst the different land masses of the Void using the ancient portals.
me.jpg
Very well. Let's go.

02.jpg

me.jpg
Looks safe. Let's go.
03.jpg

me.jpg
This leads to another...portal?
arr.jpg
No...look, to the north. I recognize it. It's Kerghan's castle!
04.jpg

me.jpg
How is it that such a structure could stand in the Void?
arr.jpg
I do not know much, but what I do know is that there used to exist some sort of civilization here, and the world was not broken up into distinct land masses. I do not know if some ancient war destroyed this realm, or if it was the doing of one of the heinous villains the council banished.
me.jpg
The Council didn't even know what the Void was?
zan.jpg
Amusing, they did not even bother studying the prison before sentencing their captives.
arr.jpg
It seems irresponsible in hindsight, but at the time they felt the Void was oblivion. Nothing was supposed to be over here.
virgil.jpg
I suppose we should postpone our attack until we've gathered our ...allies?
me.jpg
Yeah. Let's move...I see another portal guarded by some specters...they appear hostile.
05.jpg

arr.jpg
Strike quickly, they may conjure copies of themselves!
virgil.jpg
Wha-
06.jpg

me.jpg
Damn!
arr.jpg
We'll need to strike down the caster quickly to dispel the summoned creature!

07.jpg

torian.jpg
Master, hasten me so that I may strike my foes quickly!

The brave warriors were outmatched by the spectral warriors, in times of desperation, Gilford drew deeply from his magickal reserves.

08.jpg

arr.jpg
You know temporal magick? Good! But we'll need more...
me.jpg
And MORE you will get!

09.jpg

arr.jpg
It's...the ultimate temporal magick! Tempus Fugit! Quick, seize this oppor-

Arronax couldn't finish his sentence. He stood still as the sound of clock gears echoes in the air. The gears themselves materializes around Gilford and slowly grinded itself. He could see Torian Kel and the rest of the party tearing the spectral enemies apart with great abandon. Yet no wounds will appear, until he realized he is merely witnessing a prelude. And almost simultaneously, three of their spectral enemies wailed in pain and dropped to the ground. He could see Gilford in deep concentration as he raised his staff and unleashed a stunning blast at the last enemy.

10.jpg

me.jpg
Finish it!

They did not hesitate. The gears vanished as the sound of ticking clock dissipates. Gilford drew a deep breath.

11.jpg

virgil.jpg
Sir, that was amazing! We're...unstoppable!
me.jpg
Gasp...pant...
seb.jpg
It's over. Deep breaths..
me.jpg
Hah...hah...*Points behind the group.* One..coming...
arr.jpg
What the-

12.jpg

A gigantic spectral warrior appears, brandishing a greatsword with evil red tint. He swung wildly at Arronax, catching the elf off guard and tore at his back.

arr.jpg
Argh!
torian.jpg
Fall, hellspawn!

It took the combined might of Torian's quick strikes and some amount of luck before the creature was slain. Arronax wasn't in good shape.

13.jpg

me.jpg
Didn't you say you wanted to kill me?
arr.jpg
Heh...you're right. This..is a mere scratch..
me.jpg
Virgil. Heal him. *Wipes the sweat from his brow.* Arronax. Why did you do it?
arr.jpg
Vendrigroth?
me.jpg
Yes. I want a real answer this time.
arr.jpg
It was war. When they began constructing their device to protect themselves from my unprovoked attacks, I lashed out...without thinking. I destroyed them all. My fear of what technology could bring was so pervasive, I never thought there was any other solution.
me.jpg
So...you regret your actions?
arr.jpg
*Nods.* Most certainly. I have had two thousand years of my grievous errors in judgment replaying themselves in my mind. One tends to grow a conscience in all that time. I still think of my father and what I did to him. Even though he must bear a fair share of the blame for what happened, I do not think he deserved his fate.
me.jpg
I..I'm sorry.
arr.jpg
Yes...well. Let's move on, you're the most interesting companions I've had in the last 2000 years.

14.jpg

me.jpg
Well. Let's get on this thing.

15.jpg

The party emerges in a strange land mass. They are surrounded by many portals.

me.jpg
What now?
arr.jpg
Afraid I have no clue. We'll just have to rely on our fortune. Pick a spot.

16.jpg

No sooner they had emerged from a portal, a pack of Void Lizards descended upon them.

me.jpg
Alright, let's get them!

17.jpg

seb.jpg
Goddamn. There's almost no end to them.

The party slaughtered dozens before meeting a lone, gigantic figure in the wasteland...
arr.jpg
Beware. Tis' Gorgoth...

18.jpg

me.jpg
Gorgoth? You mean THE Gorgoth? What a small world!
gor.jpg
Gorgoth hungry! Need food! EAT ! EAT ! EAT!
arr.jpg
I suggest we get him something to eat before he starts eating us.
me.jpg
I'll get you some food if you'll help me fight Kerghan...
gor.jpg
YES! KILL KERGHAN FOR FOOD! BLOOD! MEAT!
me.jpg
*Points at the dead Void Lizard.* Will this animal carcass do?
gor.jpg
MMmmmmmm! Food! Good food! KILL KERGHAN FOR FOOD!
me.jpg
Torian, Seb, start cutting huge chunks off these corpses, we're going to need plenty to feed an army.
seb.jpg
Sigh...
gor.jpg
Yes! NOW GO KILL KERGHAN!
me.jpg
That's the spirit! Onward, then...

19.jpg

Kerghan is a dangerous beast with master in both Melee and Dodge at level 50, he's built to take a beating and dish it out. He's basically a demon.

5 minutes later...

20.jpg

me.jpg
...you'll have to wait.
21.jpg

me.jpg
Goddamn it...we're barely fifty paces from the last snack, come on you...you...DEVOURER!
22.jpg

me.jpg
Sigh. Toss him a bone, Seb.
arr.jpg
Bear with it for a while, Gilford...we just have two more to find...
23.jpg

The next portal's entry was greeted by the jellyfish-like creatures. After a pitched battle, Gorgoth had another meal. Just a distance away from the battle is a winged creature.

arr.jpg
It's Kraka-tur. I can barely recognize him after so many years...
24.jpg

me.jpg
I suppose that would be me...dreadfully sorry about that...
kraka.jpg
Sorry? SORRY? Do you have any idea the powers I can bring to bear against you? The wrath of the Kraka-tur knows no bounds!
me.jpg
You're quite an annoying fellow, aren't you?
kraka.jpg
What? You dare mock me? I am Kraka-tur! Destroyer of worlds! Maker of widows and orphans! I Will take no such treatment from a mere mortal as yourself!
arr.jpg
I'm sorry to disturb your wonderful exchange of grandeur, but what the hell are you doing? Why are you antagonizing him?
me.jpg
I've spoken to many of Kraka-tur before..he is nothing more than a coward.
arr.jpg
Very well...
me.jpg
Besides, the last think I need is a cowering fool at my side...
kraka.jpg
Wh-what? No one speaks such words and lives! Tremble before the might of Kraka-tur! I have spilled oceans of blood! MOutains of bones mark the roads of my fury! Fire and destruct-
me.jpg
Maybe I'm not making myself clear. YOU are a joke.
25a.jpg

me.jpg
Okay. This is ridiculous. I THINK YOU ARE A WEAKLING! FIGHT ME!
kraka.jpg
*He flinches.* Well, let's not let this get out of hand!
seb.jpg
*Stops reaching for his blade.* What the fuck?
kraka.jpg
I mean, I've done nothing to you...y-you b-bothered me, here.
virgil.jpg
I can't believe this...how did he survive in the Void again?
kraka.jpg
Uh...not that I won't kill you if you say one more foolish thing! For I am Kraka-tur! Vicious spoiler of history! Death to all and everything! I will...!
me.jpg
Fight me, you coward. I've fucking had enough of this!
kraka.jpg
*His bulk seems to shrink, he lowers his head.* Uh..you don't seem in the best of moods. W-what have I done to deserve this t-treatment? I mean, first Nasrudin and his cronies gang up on me and now...errr, I mean...
arr.jpg
...my god. My father should've killed him.
kraka.jpg
You..you will pay for this! I am Kraka-tur! Masticator of millions! I will dine on your entrails...!
me.jpg
You're a blowhard! I've known tougher milk-maidens!
kraka.jpg
D-don't push me! If you keep on this path I will d-d-destroy you, and your descendants, and your.. a-a-ncestors, too! Y-y-es! F-for I am great and mighty Kraka-tur! There will not even be a memory of you! For I control time, and the elements! I am a god, in dragon form! I am...!
me.jpg
A turd. We seek to fight Kerghan. Will you aid us?
kraka.jpg
Kerghan? *He cringes.* Wh-what do you mean? What do you want with K-kerghan?
me.jpg
I'm looking to destroy him. And I seek the aid of the mighty Kraka-tur!
kraka.jpg
I see. *He rears to its full height, nostrils steaming.* So! You ask the terrible Kraka-tur for his help in battling the evil Kerghan! Fight fire with fire! I shall destroy that bumbling necromance with a great sweep of my claw! His blood will flow as mighty Kraka-tur passes his judgment! All will cower before the power of Kraka-tur!
me.jpg
So...will you help me?
kraka.jpg
Well, let's not rush into things..I mean, this is Kerghan we're talking about. Not that I will have any trouble dispatching him, of course! For I am..
me.jpg
*Facepalms* Are you coming or not?
kraka.jpg
Kraka-tur expects payment for his services! Did you think I would come to your rescue without some sort of offering?
me.jpg
Here.
kraka.jpg
What? My eye? How in the name of gods did you come across that...?
me.jpg
Oh, it was your eye? I thought it's one of your missing testicles. My bad.
kraka.jpg
Interesting. I should kill you just for bringing it back to me! For I am the awesome Kraka-tur! Maidens tremble when they hear my name! I roam the nightmares of young children! I...
me.jpg
Do we have a deal?
kraka.jpg
Ugh. I regret to inform you..you seem too...noble for my tastes. Begone! I find such goodness,...repulsive!
me.jpg
We've wasted enough time. Gentlemen?
kraka.jpg
Wait- why are you surrounding the mighty Kraka-tur. Wait..WA-
25b.jpg

The creature did not even put up a fight. It simply cowered under the rain of blows. Even Arronax grinned widely as he bludgeon the 'great' Kraka-tur with his bare fists.

me.jpg
Fuck, this has been quite a waste of time, isn't it?
gor.jpg
I AM HUNGRY!
me.jpg
Sigh. Next portal.
26.jpg

me.jpg
What is your name, warrior?
bane.jpg
I have been known by many names, but the only one that matters now is the Bane of Kree. That is the name I was known by when I wielded power over men.
me.jpg
How did you come by that name?
bane.jpg
Kree was where I forced the world to respect my power. No one had ever breached the great walls of Kree, but my horde swarmed over them as if they were but a mirage! I held the fate of every man, woman, and child in my hand, and showed them no mercy. *His eyes glaze over as he looks into the distance, savoring his moment of glory once again.* If only I could return to Arcanum...
me.jpg
You mean you savagely murdered them without cause, coward.
bane.jpg
By Guzarat's beard! You shall die for your taunts!
torian.jpg
No. It is YOU who will die today! Vengeance...is MINE!
Torian's blade met. And he dispatched the Bane of Kree with fury, stabbing the lifeless corpses repeatedly to make sure it stays that way.
me.jpg
That's two down...
arr.jpg
Check his pockets. It's not a complete loss.
27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

me.jpg
Would you like it back?
torian.jpg
The spoils of war are the commanders to do with as he will. If it is your choice to return the sword to me, I would be honored to accept.
me.jpg
Here it is, Torian.
torian.jpg
I...thank you, Sir.
30.jpg

me.jpg
Yes...yes yes. We'll have dinner before heading into the palace. (For fuck's sake.)

A meal later...

31.jpg

me.jpg
Not before you do.
32.jpg

me.jpg
Alright. That settles it. Ready to enter?
arr.jpg
I can hardly wait.
gor.jpg
Me want tasty bones! Moar!

iirc it would have been even more hilarious if you had kraka-turs journal, the one in bellerogrims lair, at least you wouldn't have had to have metagame knowledge that he's a coward. Man is gorgoth hungry, only took him with me once and ran out of food fast, since I didn't know he was so needy.

RK47

Patron
Gilford's party wastes no time in assaulting Kerghan's castle. Gorgoth, true to his rapacious appretite, stops at nothing. The promise of more food was sufficient for him to tear apart any opposition in his way.

01.jpg

me.jpg
Hm. A very interesting contraption. What do you think, guys?
02.jpg

me.jpg
Yes, Gorgoth. Anyone else?
virgil.jpg
It seems like a portal...but technological in nature.
seb.jpg
Well, whatever it is, it's unfinished.
me.jpg
The Black Mountain Clan's work, perhaps? Arronax?
arr.jpg
Most likely, Kerghan's passage into Arcanum. And our only chance of returning after defeating him.
me.jpg
Agreed. Let's go.
zan.jpg
There is another portal here, magical in nature.
03.jpg

me.jpg
Ready yourselves. We're going in. CHARGE!
04.jpg

The band proceed further into the castle only to be confronted with a horrific sight.

05.jpg

me.jpg
Are we too late?
arr.jpg
These...are the Black Mountain Clan?
virgil.jpg
How terrible!
me.jpg
There must be some survivors somewhere! The gate's unfinished Kerghan wouldn't kill all of them before it's ready.
06.jpg

The wardens put up a fight, but posed no challenge to the party.

07.jpg

me.jpg
Who are you?
dorf.jpg
I am Grenjar Silver Hammer. Tell me, did Stennar reach you?
me.jpg
Yes, but he died before he could tell me what was happening.
dorf.jpg
Stennar. *He hangs his head for a moment.* How did he die?
me.jpg
He perished in a horrible zeppelin crash.
dorf.jpg
A zeppelin? What is that?
me.jpg
It's an airship. A boat that flies, suspended under a large balloon.
dorf.jpg
What? I've never heard of such a thing! How is this possible?
me.jpg
I'm afraid the world has changed greatly since you've been there.
dorf.jpg
No doubt driven by the dwarven ingenuity and technological advances!
me.jpg
Yes...after Bates' engine, the humans began developing machines.
dorf.jpg
So, our folly haunts us once again. If only we had harnessed that boy's ideas, what might have been...well, that is of no consequence now. If we hadn't made some error in judgment the dark elves could exploit, another clan would have.
me.jpg
Tell me, what happened?
dorf.jpg
The dark elves had been lying in wait, looking for a way to bring some dwarves over to this side. They knew that technology would eventually weaken the wards to the point of failure, but they decided to accelerate the process. They needed a machine to open the rif back up by distorting the already weakened wards. An elf couldn't make a machine to save his life...
me.jpg
And the Bates made his steam engine...
dorf.jpg
Exactly. Somehow, they convinced King Loghaire to banish us. We were shocked, to say the least...but our king had spoken. We were told our banishment was to the Isle of Despair, but this is where we ended up. We can only assume our king knew nothing of their true intent.
me.jpg
I don't believe he did.
dorf.jpg
As soon as we arrived here we were mercilessly beaten and thrown in chains. As our work progressed on the gate, Stennar formulated a plan. As soon as the gate had any functionality, he would go through and attempt to warn the other side. We knew that his absence would be noticed, and that they would try to stop him.
me.jpg
So that's how it started.
dorf.jpg
He began preparations to disguise himself as a gnome. He starved himself to the point of sickness, and when the gate was near readiness, he...he shaved his beard. He believed that the full responsibility for what had befallen us was his...he would do whatever he thought was necessary to make things right. Even that.
me.jpg
What happened after his escape was discovered?
dorf.jpg
They tortured some of the clan to force us to reveal his plans, but we wouldn't break. We knew they needed us to finish the gate, and, heh heh, we had been disabling the gate in various ways for months. For all they knew, we still had months ahead of us to finish the thing, when we could have been finished months before.
me.jpg
You've bought Arcanum some time..at the cost of your own lives. Thank you. I shall return to free you when I have stopped those responsible. Gentlemen. Let's stop that madman.
virgil.jpg
Seems strange that the Living One stands with Arronax...heh.
seb.jpg
Wish I brought more bullets with me.
me.jpg
Looks like more of those giant bludgeoners. Everyone ready?
08.jpg

me.jpg
Attack!
09.jpg

me.jpg
Phew..another portal.
10.jpg

me.jpg
Just shut the hell up and get your arse in!

The party stepped into the portal...

11.jpg

arr.jpg
You! Gilford, beware! It's Kerghan himself!
me.jpg
I see. Not exactly the person I originally expected...
12.jpg

me.jpg
He told me enough. I've come to put an end to your madness...
13.jpg

me.jpg
Very well..your time is short. These words will be your elegy...
14.jpg

me.jpg
The Council knew the evil of those magicks...look at you...
15.jpg

me.jpg
Why? Because they punished you? Tried to stop you?
16.jpg

me.jpg
I don't understand...
17.jpg

me.jpg
Fine. Then stay here, and leave our world be...
18.jpg

me.jpg
Then what? What is it you want?

Kerghan's Desire

:salute:

lightbane

Arcane
I may be late to the party, but I have to say your lp is great. Yours is what a "narrative lp" should be, not the fanfic fests that Something Awful does. I'm eager to see what will you do with Khergan's "proposition".

Also, I really would like to see a Fable lp, as terrible these games are, the 1st one was quite fun (never played the 2nd and 3rd one though) :M

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Do they mean elegy or eulogy? Either word is odd in context.

I never really liked Kerghan's character or personal motivations, not the greatest of endings to the game. Loving the LP tho.

RK47

Patron
Bumping to next page to avoid image overload.

RK47

Patron
Please standby as images are uploaded

RK47

Patron
Arcanum - Final Chapter: Farewell, Arcanum

As Kerghan finishes his tale, everyone in his presence drew a deep breath. Each ponder the meaning of his ramblings in their own way. No one spoke up, until Kerghan continued.

01.jpg

me.jpg
I suppose that's a different sort of way to look at things...
02.jpg

me.jpg
Interesting...it is something to think about...
torian.jpg
This is the only way! We must allow Kerghan to continue with this miracle!

He looks at Gilford, almost sadly.

torian.jpg
I hope that you decide not to oppose him. I am no oathbreaker, but I stand with Kerghan if battle him you must. Forgive me, but I see no other way.
me.jpg
Torian, I...
torian.jpg
Choose well, my friend. Choose well.

No more words were spoken by the warrior as he gripped the hilt of his ancestral sword. His gaze firmly locked on Gilford.

me.jpg
I see...
virgil.jpg
Hold on a moment...might I speak with you?
me.jpg
Of course, Virgil...
virgil.jpg
What he's saying..it's not completely untrue. I've...seen the places he speaks of, felt the peace and serenity of that great dead sea.

A strange longing appears in Virgil's eyes as he spoke those words.

virgil.jpg
It's not something I'll ever forget.
me.jpg
What are you saying, Virgil? Do you agree with Kerghan?
03.jpg

me.jpg
Thank you, Virgil. As for you Kerghan...
ker.jpg
I can no longer tolerate the atrocities that this thing, this LIFE, has brought about. There will be peace. There will be quiet. Life will no longer be. And so I go to Arcanum to be an end to it, and then I too, will join the souls of the dead when it is done.
me.jpg
Sebastian?
seb.jpg
Waiting for your signal, boss.
me.jpg
Kerghan, your point of view is very...interesting. I can see the merit it holds...
ker.jpg
And why not? I realize that you've followed the way of the righteous, or at least that's the role you've decided to play.
me.jpg
*Chuckles.* You have NO idea, necromancer.
ker.jpg
But you've yet to see the other side. Follow me, and I'll show you things you've never imagined.
me.jpg
Your offer is tempting...perhaps...*rubs his chin.*
04.jpg

me.jpg
I think I can convince him he's wrong.
arr.jpg
I think you have taken leave of your senses. I will allow you this attempt at a peaceful resolution, even though I doubt it has much hope of success.
me.jpg
We'll see. Now, Kerghan, I have a few words to say about this...
ker.jpg
Splendid. I've spent the last 2000 years developing my philosophy, but I'm always eager to hear another's thoughts. Please, proceed.

The high degree of his smugness reaches the heights that Gilford can't begin to imagine. Perhaps 2000 years of thinking may take more than words to change. But he had to try.

Music: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Icarus

me.jpg
Very well. Let's speak of the nature of life and death...
ker.jpg
Yes...let us speak of this. It is my opinion that the nature of life and death is accidental, that this reality we experience is merely a distortion of death. What say you traveler?
me.jpg
As you've said, I have only my experience to draw from.
ker.jpg
Yes...but what has that experience taught you? I know not the roads you've traveled, but I do know that all living things feel pain and loss...it's my opinion that they feel these things because they were NEVER meant for what we know as life...their souls are not equipped for it....
me.jpg
Hold, Kerghan. That assumption is based on YOUR experience...

Kerghan is silent for a moment, considering.

ker.jpg
Yes, you're correct. I concede you that point. But! I have seen both sides, where as you have only the lands of the living. Trust me when I say that the souls who are called back to this life are in the most excruciating pain...it is...unnatural...
me.jpg
I know. I've seen a few. But perhaps THAT is the nature of those particular souls.
ker.jpg
What do you mean? Are you faulting the souls of the dead for the meddling of the living?
me.jpg
No. Some souls are in pain because they hold on too tightly...
ker.jpg
But you speak as if these souls have a choice when they're brought back! It's the mindless bravado of the living that subjects them to the vagaries of this life...!
me.jpg
That is not true. The PAIN is of their own making.

Kerghan seems ready to respond, but then falls silent.

ker.jpg
I am willing to say you might be correct. But what proof have you?
me.jpg
I've spoken with souls who weren't in pain. Raven. An elf I've killed out of rage, spoke to me without a trace of pain in her voice. She accepted her death, willingly.
ker.jpg
Just because some souls have accepted the nature of this distortion doesn't justify its existence. If what you're saying is correct, then what is the nature of death, of life? Which is the natural state? Why is there pain on one side, and uncertainty on the other.
me.jpg
The distortion you've described is caused by the eyes with which we choose to see...A spirit who once lead a violent life, one who took others lives and riches as he see fit, would hate the uncertainty of death, since he cannot carry his power nor riches with him. One who lead a peaceful life, passing away in his sleep, would not seek such things. His life is fulfilled, death is but another step towards his natural cycle.

Kerghan looks away, visibly troubled.

ker.jpg
Perhaps it is my own arrogance, my own bravado, that has brought us here, to this crossroads. The question is...where to go from here? We've spoken of fate, of prophecy. Have I traveled this road too long to turn back? Perhaps I have no choice but to continue on to the end...
me.jpg
If you choose to do that, then I'll be forced to destroy you.
05.jpg

me.jpg
Then let us finish this one and for all.
06.jpg

me.jpg
He's..changed?

Kerghan's form shifted to one of a centipede-like dragon. His sinister claws and fangs bared. Eyes aglow red-hot. The battle is on.

torian.jpg
I am sorry, my friend...
me.jpg
I too...am sorry.

Gilford turned around and swung his open palm at Torian's direction, unleashing a magickal force at the warrior.

07.jpg

The stunned warrior is defenseless. He nodded in approval as Virgil took a swing at his left arm.

08.jpg

His left arm dislodged, he fell backwards in a heap of flesh and blood. The last of the Derian Ka falls.

torian.jpg
Farewell, my friend.

09.jpg

Z'an Alurin summons a golem to aid her in battle, as everyone took their positions around Kerghan.

10.jpg

The blows came fast and furious, yet Kerghan showed no sign of weakening. Even with mastery of time itself, the damage inflicted seems to be minuscule. As Kerghan struck back, Arronax bore the brunt of his fury.

11.jpg

Virgil and the medical arachnid attempts to heal the elven wizard, but faltered as Kerghan unleashes another necromantic magick at the elf.

12.jpg

me.jpg
Arronax!

Kerghan finishes him off with his twin talons, separating the elf's torso from the waist up.

13.jpg

Undead creatures rose from the ground, grasping at Gilford's feet. As Zan's golem attempts to assist, Gilford hot-footed out of the striking distance.

14.jpg

Finally, Kerghan's original form returned, and a bright, translucent shell formed around him. It appears impenetrable.

zan.jpg
It's a regenerative shield! We cannot harm him while it is up!
me.jpg
Damn! Deal with his minions on the mean time.

As the party turned their attention towards the corpses, Gilford watched as Kerghan's wound heal before him. Gilford invoked his mystic staff's Disperse Magick spell, and had nothing to show for it. He gritted his teeth in despair as the magickal shell served its purpose and dissipate.

15.jpg
I can't do anything...he's...

Once restored, Kerghan reverted to his terrifying form and proceed to tear away at Sebastian. The adventurer uttered a curse as he fell and rose a thumbs up towards Gilford before shutting his eyes.

16.jpg

virgil.jpg
Master, flee! We'll buy you some time!
me.jpg
No, I won't!

Zan shoved Gilford aside.

zan.jpg
We..cannot let him return to Arcanum. You must! Gilford! You know what is to be done!
me.jpg
I...damn it. Fine!

Gilford turned towards the magickal portal and took a final glance as his comrades make their last stand.

me.jpg
I am very sorry.
virgil.jpg
Go!

17.jpg

Gasping, panting....the lone summoner retracted his steps. A sense of helplessness overwhelms him. There's no way out...

me.jpg
Hah...peaceful souls...accept...their death. Talk is cheap. Hah...hah...I never...asked for this.

18.jpg

As each step takes him closer to his goal, Gilford remembered the airship crash and every adventures he had before reaching this point. His vision blurred by hot tears.

me.jpg
I never asked for this. So don't blame me for it!

He shouted at the darkness. There was no reply.

19.jpg

dorf.jpg
You've returned...is...is Kerghan dealt with?
me.jpg
I am very ...very...sorry.

Gilford raised both of his empty palms and brought it together in front of him. As each tip of his ten fingers met, the air crackled around him.

20.jpg

dorf.jpg
Whuh-what's going on?
me.jpg
This...is for Arcanum. I am sorry.

He shed tears as the conjured demons make their advance.

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Later...

25.jpg

me.jpg
I'm no hero, am I?

The familiar sensed its master's sadness and remained silent.

me.jpg
I wasn't the chosen one. I was forced into this. And I've failed. Utterly...but...I've bought some time. Strip off any small parts from this gate, and hide it the best you can. It must not be activated, ever. Is that clear?

The creature nodded.

me.jpg
And if you perish...I won't be around to conjure you back to life. Good luck, little one. I wish our partnership could've done much better. Now, I'm off.

The creature let out a sorrowful screech as its master walk down the dark corridor.

Later...

26.jpg

ker.jpg
You've returned...have you reconsidered?
me.jpg
Kerghan...you've failed. You won't return to Arcanum.
ker.jpg
What?
me.jpg
I've slain the last of the Black Mountain Clan. And destroyed parts of the gate...there will be no return to Arcanum. You and I...are trapped here in the Void. Forever.
ker.jpg
You...you....YOU WILL PAY FOR WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

The enraged creature lunged at Gilford, and tore the demons apart one by one.

27.jpg

ker.jpg
YOU DARE TO RUIN MY PLANS....I ONLY SOUGHT PEACE! YOU! OF THE LIVING! YOU MEDDLESOME BASTARD!
me.jpg
Well...heh. I never asked for this.

Gilford closed his eyes as the sinister figure approach. Its talons ready to strike at his sides. He made no attempt to dodge it.

28.jpg

me.jpg
Kerghan, I hope you find the peace you're looking for.
ker.jpg
GRAHHHHHHHHHHHH! DIE!
29.jpg

me.jpg
So..this is..death. Kerghan?
30.jpg

The sinister figure roared at its victory and as his rage cools, it shifted back to its original form.

31.jpg

ker.jpg
What is it, human?
me.jpg
I'll see you..on the other side...

Alain closes his eyes. He had done what he could. Arcanum...is safe. For now.

32.jpg

The End

Lindblum

Augur
Well uhm Great Job Gilford....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom