Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Lets play DIE HARD (NES): Intense 8-bit Bruce Willis action

schluberlubs

Educated
HQHF2.jpg

Lets play DIE HARD for the NES

Chapter 0: Intro to the LP
Chapter 1: Ho Ho Ho, I've got a machine-gun!
Ch. 2: Does it sound like I'm ordering a pizza? (Remastered edition)
Ch. 3: Get me the detonators!
Ch. 4: Multi-barreled guns shooting ass and legs.
Ch. 5: The Lithuanian Hitman
Ch. 6: Best christmas bonus I ever got!

Chapter 0: Intro to the LP

Die Hard (NES) Is yet another damn good Incline action/shooter, quite contrary to what a certain beastialic scatophilac Inbred leaded-beer-drinking computer-game-hating SICK-FUCK stated.

*Ahem* The NES version Is Japanese made (I think) and surprisingly enough It trumps the DOS/C64 versions. The game has a good nucleated (a.k.a non-linear) design and does a good job of emulating the situation In the movie. Easily one of the best game squeezed out of the NES.

This LP should much more smoothly than my Terminator LP. For one thing, I know this game like the back of my wanking hand. Plus, I recorded all the footage of me playing through the game, so I won't miss out a single screen-shot of action.

Took me awhile to getting round to readying this for posting because I've been working at some air conditioning workshop for the past few weeks (getting some experience points). So you know, been procrastinating afterwards with some Jagged Alliance 2 1.13.

06-01-2013 Editors note: The first and (to a lesser extent) second chapter are probably a bit too screenshot + detail heavy, I do get better at keeping things concise in the later ones

Chapter 1: Ho Ho Ho, I've got a machine-gun!

PJXfM.jpg

Typical legal-jargon screen.

ldBT9.jpg

The publisher. Weird that the developer doesn't have a corporate logo.

HQHF2.jpg

The title screen. Game's got some excellent music.

FTFvt.jpg

Difficulty selection. Difference between the difficulties Is that In advance we start on a random floor, have only half health and our enemies have double their health.

RhsT5.jpg

The true Codexian choice. :smug:

slenx.jpg

We start.

Quick explenation of the screen:
- The counter In the top-left shows what floor we are on.
- The bar In the top-right shows our health.
- The “A B” graphics In the bottom-right show what the A & B buttons do (shoot pistol & run at the moment).
- The “L1” counter In the bottom-right shows the current lock Theo Is currently cracking.

The objective of the game Is to treat each and every last of the 40 crooks (Including Hans Gruber) to a bit of tactical genocide.

hJj6L.jpg

MaIqU.jpg

Begin moving north, theirs a couple of Items I want to grab.

NKyRt.jpg

Time to take out the trash!

8Fic5.jpg

z0264.jpg

WZg9x.jpg

Scored a hit. It's hard for him to dodge at the side here.

2Gguj.jpg

1sW4h.jpg

He flash-bangs us, but because we are on the outer radius so we aren't stunned long enough for surprise butt-sex.

LySf1.jpg

blrNB.jpg

C0zZ9.jpg

We score a final hit and he's down. A soda pops out of his corpse, It recovers health but we're already In peak condition.

qJQHd.jpg

ScyIb.jpg

A flash-bang. Hard to use, but damn handy when used right.

DDwXA.jpg

hncRP.jpg

Quick look at the status screen.

oJ2Ac.jpg

An MP5 magazine, contains 40 rounds of 9mm.

IX5he.jpg

Ambush time! I start camping a short distance from the elevator.

We get sound cues when the elevator has started moving towards the floor we are on and also when Its about to open.

o8ezA.jpg

As soon as I hear a ding, I toss my flash-bang.

gZd4b.jpg

MSMCj.jpg

Stunned him through the door. Now It's time for tasteful rape.

EEUaV.jpg

h77Wm.jpg

49JMH.jpg

A few goodies burst out his corpse. Along with a magazine of 9mm & a flash bang we also get:

A radio. This lets us listen In on various radio broadcasts and allows us to alert the cops If we make It to the roof.

A HK MP5 9mm sub-machine gun. This game had them before they were cool.

mSlxO.jpg

Now ain't too bad a time to explain this status screen:
- The “LIFE” bar Is your health.
- The “FEET” bar Is the condition of our feet.
- The "CROOKS" counter shows how many bay bad guys are left.
- Bottom-left box shows what guns and how much ammo, grenades & explosives we got.
- Middle right box shows what key Items we have.
- The bottom-right box shows how long 'til the current lock Is cracked and the status of the locks.

XCU3K.jpg

Elevator. It's way faster than using the stairs.

I'm heading up to rule- I mean, floor 34. From there, I'll take the stairway to floor 35 where we can then access the roof.

lOFjt.jpg

Passing by the 33rd floor. This floor Is an absolute pig to fight on. I'll leave It 'til later once we are better equipped.

irL8L.jpg

Arrived on the 34st floor.

a2kSk.jpg

I check the side room. The door Is locked but It can be opened by shooting the lock off.

6f9N8.jpg

Inside we find a couple of medkits. Funnily enough they aren't used to cure bullet wounds, they're just for bandaging our feet. Our feet are fine for the moment so no need to use them.

And I say It's time for more chin-wagging about how feet work. When our FEET bar Is completely drained, we move at about half speed and our running pace becomes our regular walking pace (we also start getting a bit of slow down when the bar gets to 1./3rd). The problem with this Is, Is that we need that full running speed to dodge bullets. Jon can just about out pace a bullet when he's healthy.

Your FEET drain even from just walking around, so It's a good Idea to think about your journeys. Your FEET will drain even more so while running or stepping In glass.

These medkits along with healing sodas and other supplies are finite so you've got to be careful with them (especially the medkits).

Q7ZM0.jpg

I begin to move towards the stairs, but It seems we have some Inconveniences to dispose of.

ky5Zl.jpg

I sweep off a burst with my MP5. You can do this by holding down A and a directional button.

hnKIh.jpg

S7WbT.jpg

His buddy joins the fray.

4iYTz.jpg

nnL3O.jpg

yQBj5.jpg

X54nv.jpg

QSymY.jpg

FXrH7.jpg

kj82p.jpg

ilsAm.jpg

Ha ha, gutted!

That crook tried tossing a flash-bang at us, but It bounced off the statue.

KYpj3.jpg

6tQxA.jpg

awHvb.jpg

And I finished off both crooks In one sweep.

F832j.jpg

They got me with a flash-bang, but their bullets where off the mark.

wi523.jpg

Hans Is sending reinforcements to our floor. I say we set up another ambush.

aDfaG.jpg

I duck down behind a statue.

5Si4Q.jpg

The crook comes out, guns blazing.

otSzK.jpg

83FNa.jpg

Sweeped a burst Into the dark and scored a hit.

gZs3i.jpg

FcWZ3.jpg

He's down.

7yjON.jpg

5 crooks down and I haven't taken a scratch yet. Nice.

Though why do I have this faint, uneasy feeling that my luck won't hold.

RUsXp.jpg

5VDbi.jpg

uxzCJ.jpg

I take the stairs to floor 35. At the moment Its the only way up at the moment.

This chapter Is getting quite meaty so I'll call this a rap.

lightbane

Arcane
Lol u fag what yure ding playing thse shit games when yu hv the pc, the true and 'nly master race :smug:

Now seriously, the game looks fun. Continue the lp please.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
AVGN's video about this was pretty funny though.

EDIT: MOAR, I wanna see if the Gruber and boys manage to put up more of a fight later on.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not as bad as AVGN made it to be!

I think I had that on my console when I was a consoletard. But those were happy times and I dont feel bad for them.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Heh. Seen this game pass by videogame riffers as frustratingly hard.

Odd pick but hey why not. Good fun!

schluberlubs

Educated
Taking chapter 2 down, it turned out really fucking bad due to screen-shot spam. I'll need to do some editing on this. Remastered edition a couple of posts below.

Should have played the Die Hard trilogy for PC, 3 shitty games in 1!

Oh HELL NO! The second part was pretty kick-ass (especially when using a proper light-gun).

The first part was kind of Iffy. Very repetitive and had a couple of exploits (Including one which allowed you to Infinitely grind points).

The third driving part was decent enough.

Game was way better and even closer to the source material than the shitty pc version that came much later.

You mean Nakatomi Plaza? I had checked out a couple of reviews and the demo. It did seem like just a disappointing, simplistic corridor shooter.

8 and 16 bit consoles ruled.

Gonna' have to disagree with you their, bro. I'd say that the good-to-bad ratio of games for consoles has remained pretty consistent, from the NES to present day.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Every game I bought for my nes and megadrive rocked. Then again, I usually traded a lot with friends and played a lot at their place so I knew what the fun games were.

schluberlubs

Educated
Ch. 2: Does it sound like I'm ordering a pizza?

I take the stairs up to the 35 floor

XHlcf.jpg

Doing so consumes some time.

EW5ox.jpg

Upon arrival to the 35, we're immediately assaulted by a blue shirt. I trade sweeps of machine gun fire and he retreats away from the stairwell.

The A.I. generally does a good job of avoiding attacking you in places where you have the advantage. For instance, the stairwells are a no-go area for the A.I. and also have a door we can use for cover. Yet the crooks will retreat and stay out of shooting range if we hang by it.

They don't scale down for your popamole tactics. :rpgcodex:

This forces me to move away from the door in order to engage them.

0aUe9.jpg

As I find the blue shirt, a green shirt joins the fray.

The difference between green and blue shirts is the former come armed with pistols & stun grenades while the latter just has a machine gun.

wMQCj.jpg

I hit them both with one sweep of machine gun fire.

G6SCy.jpg

The blue shirt closes in and we shoot each over. He keels over dead and we drop the walkie-talkie.

Thats one thing to note, getting hit causes us to drop items and supplies. Can make fire fights really messy as we can either end up loosing valuable stuff or take more hits trying to recover them. The one saving grace is that we can't drop our guns this way.

kSb65.jpg

In spite of having taken out the green shirt, he manages not only to shoot us once after his death but stun us with a flash bang and shoot us again. I love games with slow moving, non-hit scan bullets.

With the crooks dead, I start scrounging through the level.

The position of items here are randomized and there will be a couple of key items we'll want to grab. I find a soda along the west side which heals a bullet wound.

gzgSb.jpg

In one of the rooms along the south, I find some blueprints.

aSibM.png
Looks like a blueprint of the 5 floor. Their's the main computer. Taking it out could slow them down.

Looks like Jon had invested some skill points in reading technical drawings.

i5LH1.jpg

In the other south room, I find some C4. We can't use it until we get the detonators.

R1nT9.jpg

Shooting the door lock, I enter the control room to the south-east. No ones here but I do find a soda & a soda-machine. The soda machine can be shot for 4 sodas but we don't need that many so I just take the one off the floor.

hRGcT.jpg

I take a look at our stats. In the lower-left of the pick you can see the blue prints we picked up earlier. Now that I think about it, it's little wonder Jon was able to understand them if they where that simple.

MhO9w.jpg

Just next the control room is this door. It's sort of an enigma as I've never seen inside it. It can't be shot open. The key doesn't work on it. And if you try using C4 anywhere on the 35 floor, the entire place will blow up.

I find another block of C4 in a cupboard to the north. I approach the door to the north-east that leads to the roof. But as I do so, I hear foot steps which I go back to investigate.

hPBEF.jpg

I find a crook outside the control room. I make a snap shot that lands on him. I go back and wait couple of ticks for him to retaliate but he doesn't come.

LI3uW.jpg

cTrG6.jpg

The dumb bastard's standing by the door and keeping it propped open. I shoot into the dark and put him out of his misery.

I frift his body and find a set of keys. This guy is sometimes already spawned when you come to the control but if he hasn't, he will when you approach the stairs to the roof. And the keys he's holding are the ones we need to get to the roof

PrbXI.png
Lock one is down Hans! I estimate about half an hour to go!

ghA4Z.jpg

I have a quick search of this central area but find nothing.

YAOwC.png
Marco, go check out the 34th floor.

I make my way to the stairs in the southeast and head to the roof.

MnbW3.jpg

Ambush! Flanked by 2 green shirts. They shoot us once as I try to get to a better position.

QP7TV.jpg

I circle around and shoot one of the crooks. But he manages to do that 2 shots and a flashbang thing that other green shirt did previously. When this game kicks you in the dick, it kicks you square.

I manage to defeat the 2 crooks yet they inflicted 4 bullet wounds total on us.

When it comes to these open air fights, we have one distinct disadvantage. All bullets (ours, the enemeys) disappear when they go off screen. We have to deal with a range impediment that the crooks don't have.

i1YhG.jpg

I pick up my dropped radio and head to the northern part of the roof to radio the cops. You can only do this before Theo has cracked the second lock.

aOlTg.png
Terrorists have invaded the Nakatomi Building. Send the police, NOW!

We'll see the effects of this soon.

With that done, I go back down stairs.

plMVX.jpg

Green shirts were laying in wait on the 35th floor. I trade some shots and do score one hit. But they're playing it cautious and that range problem I talked about is coming into play.

dienq.jpg

I tried taking up a position closer to them. Big mistake, one of the green shirts charges in. I eventually kill him but he's taken 2 of Jon's life points and we're now down to our last. And there is still one more green shirt to kill.

The other green shirt retreats south towards the control room. I land a shot on him.

SwWst.jpg

But he has inflicted that final, fatal wound on us.

Quick note: as you can see in the above screenshot, that weird door is open. Crooks can go through it.

sEK28.jpg

Hans Gruber is having a total smuggasm.

Fortunately, I had kept a save state. I redo the roof battle, taking 4 wounds (as bad as last time).

The ambush on floor 35 as we got back from the roof didn't happen this time around. This game sure does work in mysterious ways.

ew4lQ.jpg

As we are badly injured I head to the control room and vandalize the soda machine with a burst of machine gun fire. Four sodas fall out.

I search around the 35th floor some more stuff and find a magazine of ammunition.

w7jL4.jpg

Also find a rocket.

aSibM.png
A rocket. The terrorists must have dropped it.

This little bad boy will come into play later.

Pretty much stripped the 35th level bare so to floor 34 we go.

I walk out into floor 34 and we get attacked by a green shirt.

hZDQi.jpg

I waste that sucker in one sweep. I check the northeastern part of the floor and find a couple of sodas. Then go and check 2 rooms small rooms to the northwest which contain squat.

PrbXI.png
Lock two is open, Hans!
PrbXI.png
Hans, I've taken control of the express elevator until this lock is down.
YAOwC.png
Idiots! He is listening to us! Do not use the radio.

Looks like our Eves dropping days are over. We'll no loner hear where Hans is deploying his men.

A couple of moments pass, then we hear sirens.

YAOwC.png
Ah, our intrepid police force has arrived.

Question is: will they be of any use?

2nKuM.jpg

Get a nasty surprise at the door of one of the eastern rooms.

O2eyO.jpg

It's a blonde haired blue shirt! He sticks to the wall on the east at first. This lets me pin him down and score a hit. But I have to back off and lose the advantage.

We exchange a little more machine gun fire before he retreats. I approach the room I found him in previously. He pops back out of it and score a hit on one another.

QGYxU.jpg

I then find he's standing by the door and keeping it propped open just like that other guy. I fire a couple of bursts at the door and kill him.

The blonde guy took 3 hits to kill. The battle took 2 health points from us.

Before we call it a rap, lets take a check of our status:

A9mA1.jpg

Things are looking good except for our badly injured feet, which we will need to fix.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I can't wait to see what happens. Will Mr. Gruber finally be rid of the evil McClane?

schluberlubs

Educated
Got the LP written up and the images uploaded. Chapter 3 should come in a couple of hours.

Hey, nice necro you got there.
It's still not too late for you to do the same.

I can't wait to see what happens. Will Mr. Gruber finally be rid of the evil McClane?

You're in luck because:
A) Jon's going to die a lot.
B) I'll be showing all of the games numerous bad endings.

So when is a guy going to come out of McClane's ass?

Right now:

dhBlll.jpg

I hope you're satisfied.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom