Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum - Summoner: Goodbye, Arcanum?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Music: The Dead Shall Speak

The silent was deafening. The Prophecy was false. The body was not Nasrudin's. Even worse, it could be another saint's. Gilford stared long and hard at the skeleton, gripping the skull tightly on his arm. He finally raised the skull to his face and gazed into its hollow eyes.

geoff.jpg
I still don't get it.
me.jpg
I see. Virgil, stand up.
virgil.jpg
I...I cannot. My faith..it's..
me.jpg
Is a lie. I'm sorry, Virgil, but we must go.
virgil.jpg
I...
me.jpg
Come. Let us unravel this mystery...*Gently drops the skull into his pack and sketches some notes.*

The party ascend from the sewers and return to the temple.

03.jpg

me.jpg
There were some other strange things about what I saw...
had.jpg
What? What did you see?
me.jpg
The skeleton, it's missing its right finger...
had.jpg
*His face goes pale.* You know what that means. Oh, no...it couldn't be...
me.jpg
I'm afraid it is.
had.jpg
I don't know. Good god. *He is in shock.* Why? Why would they have buried him in the tomb of Nasrudin? I just..*He trails off.*
me.jpg
There's something else...I found these markings on the coffin lid. Written in blood. Recognize it? *Shows his sketches to Hadrian.*
02.jpg

04.jpg

me.jpg
I'll get to the bottom of this, Hadrian...
had.jpg
*He steadies himself against his desk.* Two thousand years...and no one ever even bothered to check. What fools have we been? Listen, speak to Gunther about this. Find out what it means. I..I can be of no further use. *He gazes beyond Gilford, lost in thought.*
me.jpg
Are you alright, Hadrian?
had.jpg
*He laughs, bitterly.* Perhaps this was a stone better left unturned, my friend. It's not every day that one is faced with the negation of his belief...*He lowers his head.*
me.jpg
I'm very sorry, Hadrian. I take my leave...

Gilford enters Gunther's office.

05.jpg

me.jpg
Another moment, Gunther. Recognize this? *Shows him the sketches.*
gun.jpg
*Thinks for a moment.* I have no idea what the broken ring represents, but the two words are written in old Panarum - a dead language that was once used by the elders of the Church. The first word means 'mirror' or 'opposite' ...and the second word means 'truth'. As for the meaning of the whole message, I'm at a loss. I think we can assume that Mannox was trying to tell us something...
zan.jpg
...a lie.
me.jpg
The opposite of truth. What did you find, Gunther?
gun.jpg
Remember I told you I was working on those older translations? I found another passage from it that is consistent with the Archaeon we read today. Have you heard the passage where it talks about the final resting place of Nasrudin?
me.jpg
Yes...Alexander told me.
gun.jpg
Well, today's Archaeon reads "...Nasrudin traveled to the southernmost tip of the land, and there laid himself to rest." The copy I've been translating says almost the same exact thing, except for one slight difference. It reads "...Nasrudin CROSSED THE WATERS, and traveled to the southernmost tip of the land."
me.jpg
Are you saying what I think it means?
gun.jpg
Yes, I'm saying that I don't think Nasrudin was buried here in Caladon...we have always just assumed that the scriptures were speaking of the MAINLAND, and, of course, when the remains were 'found', no one ever bothered to look again...
me.jpg
Where do you think is his 'true remains' are located at?
gun.jpg
The southernmost tip of ANY land in Arcanum is the Isle of Thanatos...to the south of here. I think that is where you next should you. Might I ask you a favor...if you have the time before you leave, perhaps you could uncover the truth behind Saint Mannox? There are men here who would be interested in finding the responsible party...
me.jpg
I may do that. But why do you think they did all this?
gun.jpg
I don't know, my friend. Perhaps there is something about the actual remains of the Nasrudin which they are afraid of. You should seek out his final resting place, and there, I think, you will find your answers.
me.jpg
I will, Gunther...Thank you and good day.

The party left Gunther's office, pondering on the clues given to them.

seb.jpg
I've never been to that island before...sounds dangerous.
me.jpg
All the pieces have fallen neatly together..*Presses a finger to his forehead.* I've got it. *Snaps his fingers.*
geoff.jpg
What did you get?
me.jpg
Everything.
zan.jpg
*Smiles.* I wish to hear it...as the rest of the party does, I'm sure.
me.jpg
Thousand of years of plotting...it's only made possible by elven's long age...Please bear with me. *Closes his eyes.*
09.jpg

me.jpg
Approximately, two thousand years ago, a great battle took place...wherein the great Nasrudin banished the evil Arronax into the Void. After the victory, the great man succumbed to his wounds.
seb.jpg
Mmm hmm.
me.jpg
And barely a few months ago, the IFS Zephyr crashed on its maiden voyage. All, save one. Perished. *Points to himself.*
virgil.jpg
I found you there..
me.jpg
This was no accident. A pair of smaller crafts staged an attack over the Shrouded Hills. Killing themselves in the process. These individuals are affiliated to a group of assassin, known as the Molochean Hand.
10.jpg

me.jpg
Who hired them? What was their goal? A dying gnome gave what clues he could to the sole survivor. Handing to him a ring...and hinted at a 'great evil returning', instructing the survivor to 'find the boy.' Tired of the repeated attempts on his life, the survivor pressed on for answers and his search took him to the city of Tarant...
11.jpg

me.jpg
The owner of the ring turned out to be Gilbert Bates, the technologist. And the gnome turned out to be a dwarf in a most unthinkable disguise.
seb.jpg
*Scratches his chin.* What? He cross-dresses?
me.jpg
He shaved his beard.
seb.jpg
Oh.
me.jpg
What was Bates' past with this dwarf, and what happened that set off this chain of misfortunes?
12.jpg

me.jpg
It happened after Bates mastered the dwarven Steam Engine and sold it to a company. Its productivity and human's shortsightedness massacred the Morbihan Forests. Many elven communities were reported to have been forced to relocate. No objections were sounded against the human's encroachment, until one day...
13.jpg

me.jpg
An elven delegation sent to the Wheel Clan threatened war if no actions were taken. Their demands are simple: the exile of the entire Black Mountain Clan to the Isle of Despair..it was a harsh fate. A demand which the dwarven king relented.
virgil.jpg
But they weren't there...
me.jpg
Indeed. The evil plan is already set into motion. With the condition that the elves will carry out the banishment of the dwarves themselves, no one knew the true fate of the Black Mountain Clan. Unless one of them gets the word out..
14.jpg

me.jpg
Stennar, with his indomitable spirit, escaped imprisonment from within the Void and returned to this world through the Ring of Brodgar. The Dark Elves, fearing exposing their plans should they dirty their hands, decided to hire a group of highly trained assassins, the Molochean Hand which led to the destruction of IFS Zephyr which sealed Stennar's fate.
zan.jpg
You...are their unforeseen consequence.
me.jpg
Traveling from farthest corners of Arcanum, the survivor gathered allies wherever he could, and cuts through the web of deceit. Revealing the painful truth underneath it...a fact that the Dark ones still fear...
virgil.jpg
You mean...?
me.jpg
Nasrudin.
15.jpg

me.jpg
For you see, Nasrudin did not die. Why did our enemies spend so much effort to declare him dead? And put a false body inside his grave? Kan Hua is our man. The insidious mastermind of Arronax's return. I can only conclude St. Mannox got too close to the truth and was slain. In his dying moments, he wrote what he could if it was not obvious enough already.
zan.jpg
"The opposite of truth."
me.jpg
Falsehood. Lies. Deceit. Nasrudin IS ALIVE. And he's probably in Thanatos.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
:surprised chipmunk:

To be honest I never really got the reaction of the church folk. Sure, we know the truth, thanks to Alain's deductive reasoning, but all they really know is their holy relic isn't what they thought it was. As dedicated religious extremists, how would that disprove their religion? They'd just turn on the relic, but it doesn't really prove their religion false. Does it? Did I miss something?

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Brother None said:

To be honest I never really got the reaction of the church folk. Sure, we know the truth, thanks to Alain's deductive reasoning, but all they really know is their holy relic isn't what they thought it was. As dedicated religious extremists, how would that disprove their religion? They'd just turn on the relic, but it doesn't really prove their religion false. Does it? Did I miss something?

I would imagine that would come next. First comes shock and the worst case, then they start considering and designing logic to disbelieve it. The other thing to 3 of them I would imagine it hits harder due to them believing Alain is Nasrudin reborn.

What it proves wrong though is that their saint isn't who they thought and that their interpretation of several things is quite wrong. Reaching for the worst possible conclusion (It's all a lie) is one of the possible reactions - especially at first depending on the person in question and how likely they are to catastrophize in response to anything.

So if we surmise that Hadrien is likely to catastrophize then his response makes sense as he sees it and reaches for the worst case scenario.

Gunther on the other hand seems to treat it as an intellectual puzzle - reacting as you described. His first response was to pull up proof those remains were false even if Alain didn't ask him more on it.

RK47

Patron
Brother None said:

Uh...it's not a holy relic, that's the problem, BN. Let's compare it to the real world example:

201082Ibadah%20haji%20khabib.net.jpg

Okay.

If we return to Arcanum's logic. Without Alain's discovery, the Panarii would remain clueless of the return of Arronax. Their duty was originally to maintain the wards on the Ring of Brodgar.

Obviously, this task is not being carried out for 2000 years since Nasrudin's 'death'. Arronax will return, and the unwitting followers of Nasrudin is the indirect cause of it. They have failed their duty, and like sheep, followed another shepherd blindly.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Well, we know all that. Why does the gnome? Why would Virgil in this narration? They respond as if the mere fact that the wrong skeleton is in the crypt deligitimizes their entire religion. Why?

Gunther response seems a lot more reasonable. The wrong skeleton's in the sacrophagus? So what. Yes, the drawing and the knowledge we have lead us further, but that doesn't explain the other reactions. Though I guess the gnome's is partially explained by him being very strict in the lore. But how would the skull being human "negate his belief" (even if the whole buried alive thing is a bit morbid, but not the only explanation available. Hell he jumps to that conclusion rather quick. Morbid mind)? Why would that lone fact negate Virgil's?

RK47

Patron
Brother None said:
Well, we know all that. Why does the gnome? Why would Virgil in this narration? They respond as if the mere fact that the wrong skeleton is in the crypt deligitimizes their entire religion. Why?

Gunther response seems a lot more reasonable. The wrong skeleton's in the sacrophagus? So what. Yes, the drawing and the knowledge we have lead us further, but that doesn't explain the other reactions. Though I guess the gnome's is partially explained by him being very strict in the lore. But how would the skull being human "negate his belief" (even if the whole buried alive thing is a bit morbid, but not the only explanation available. Hell he jumps to that conclusion rather quick. Morbid mind)? Why would that lone fact negate Virgil's?

Well, he just had his 'deep religious experience' (The Zen Virgil) stopped cold by the hard hitting punch of reality. I just tried to paint him as that. He was very sure of the Panarii way being his salvation and he is walking the same path with the Living One.

I admit, I might dramatize too much, but it's strange if Virgil, the only Panarii follower religion who achieved a 'Zen-like' state not being shaken by the revelation and merely say 'Oh, that's it? Let's find the bastards responsible.' Something I found very odd in the original script and decided to add a little more.

All of Hadrian's and Gunther's reply are as it were. No additions were made. Except on Gilford's responses.

TNO

Augur
Preposterously prestigious LP, RK-47. As noted, your writerly additions are, if anything, superior to the original. Keep it up.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Wasn't aiming to criticize you RK47. I've played Arcanum to death but this is almost like reading it anew with the fresh stuff and angles you add. High-quality material.

I'm just saying, this is something that's always seemed odd to me in the way Arcanum's main plot thread runs. There's a difference between what we discover as a piece of the overall puzzle and the way the Panarii church should react to it that Troika didn't handle that well, in my opinion.

Trio

Novice
The gnome conspiracy brought me no end of frustration on my playthrough. I thank you for at least a miniscule amount of peace from the way you handled the situation.

RK47

Patron
me.jpg
We need to tell Alexander about this.
virgil.jpg
He's going to take some convincing...his wrath will be terrible...
seb.jpg
Well, he IS the descendant of Mannox.
me.jpg
Hush, I'll do the talking.

01.jpg

me.jpg
I've been uncovering some strange things, Alexander...
alex.jpg
Really? Just what are you talking about?
me.jpg
Gunther's discovered something about the name of the Panarii. According to him, its meaning was altered over time.
alex.jpg
Hmm. That is strange, my friend, but it seems fairly trivial thing...there are small differences in almost every translation. This was probably just an honest mistake...was there anything else?
geoff.jpg
Well, your religion is a mis- *Mmmmph*
seb.jpg
*Smiles as he jams a handkerchief into the necromancer's mouth.* Continue, Gilford.
me.jpg
Gunther also uncovered a strange fact regarding this K'an Hua individual in the historical records. It appears he is always present during important events in the Panarii's history.
alex.jpg
Hmmm. That is an interesting fact. Perhaps there is something amiss here...was there anything else?
me.jpg
I've seen the inside of Nasrudin's crypt.
alex.jpg
What did you find?
me.jpg
I retrieved the skull...Hadrian confirmed it's human and not elven...
alex.jpg
*His face goes hard as stone.* This is grave news. Obviously the remains are a fake. If you find out what all of this means, return to me...was there anything else?
me.jpg
One of the skeleton's finger is missing, and it appears the coffin's occupant was alive when the burial was carried out. We found markings in blood inside the lid. I'm sorry, Alexander...
alex.jpg
*His fists clench, he barely controls his rage.* I see. Return to me if you find out what all of this means. If indeed my fam...I mean, the blood of Mannox was spilled for some darker plot, you can be assured that there will be retribution. I swear it by my life.
me.jpg
There is light within all of this darkness, Alexander. Gunther deduced that Nasrudin's true resting place might lie in the Isle of Thanatos...
alex.jpg
You mean?
me.jpg
Mannox's death was manufactured...but Nasrudin may still be alive.
alex.jpg
It seems like we've all been deceived my friend. It seems your path no longer lies with us. But if you have the time, perhaps your could look into the message that was written on the inside of the crypt....return to me if you find what it means. Otherwise, good luck to you. I hope you find the final resting place of Nasrudin.
me.jpg
Don't lose faith, Alexander.

The group stepped out of the temple.

seb.jpg
So..Thanatos?
me.jpg
Why rush?
seb.jpg
Oh, I dunno, an elven mad sorcerer coming out of the Void? A whole religion being manipulated to sinister end?
me.jpg
*Chuckles* We have things to do before that, remember? *Points to the two cameras in his pack.*
seb.jpg
Ooh. I nearly forgot about those...

Together they walked towards Maxim's factory...

02.jpg

me.jpg
That would be a medical arachnid, I believe.
max.jpg
*He digs through some parts on the floor.* It's here somewhere....ah, yes! Here it is, the world's first medical arachnid!
me.jpg
Why...thanks. Damn. This stuff is heavy...
03.jpg

seb.jpg
Don't think you're supposed to carry it...
04.jpg

me.jpg
Is that so...fine! *Tosses the automaton*

The mechanical arachnid dropped with a clank and its metallic legs extended to lift its main body from the floor.

me.jpg
...I don't think I really want it...
seb.jpg
Geez, give it a chance you spell-slinger!
05.jpg

At level 25, the medical arachnic possess a meager 60 HP and moves quite slowly outside of combat. Another example of poor real time engine.

06.jpg

If you look at its stats, it actually has 18 DEX. Which makes it faster than Virgil and stronger with Melee (Expert).

me.jpg
Tch, whatever. Let's head to Roseborough for another camera drop...

07.jpg

08.jpg

Gilford pocketed the cash and leaves the jubilant reporter behind.

seb.jpg
Not staying for lunch? The stew's here pretty great.
me.jpg
We're here for business, Seb.
seb.jpg
Oh? I thought it was settled earlier...
me.jpg
Come, walk with me for a moment...

The rest of the party followed Gilford towards the Ring of Brodgar...

me.jpg
What should we be doing now, Virgil?

11.jpg

me.jpg
What about Mannox?
virgil.jpg
Uh..assuming we stumble upon clues..we'll keep a look out for any damning clues of the Panarii's deception...
me.jpg
Alexander did point out on the writings that Mannox left behind...a circle, written in blood.
zan.jpg
You think he is referring to the Ring of Brodgar?
me.jpg
None other. Problem is, I'm VERY unclear as to how it relates to the writing.
torian.jpg
You suggest a search of the surrounding areas?
seb.jpg
You can be sure there's nothing in town that I haven't searched. So the best bet is to go towards the wilderness...either North...Northwest..Northeast...West...or Southwest.
me.jpg
Five directions. Enough of us to cover. Let's split and meet back here in 30 minutes. I'll take the dog with me.
geoff.jpg
Hmph. Me and the zombie, then...
virgil.jpg
Very well.

The party split up and search the five directions for half an hour.

virgil.jpg
I think I found something to the southwest...
me.jpg
What is it?
virgil.jpg
A circular stone of some sort...I can't open it. There's something inscribed on its surface.
me.jpg
Take us there.

12.jpg

me.jpg
"...the word that opens all doors."
seb.jpg
Crimstone?

Nothing happens.

me.jpg
No. It must be what Mannox wrote. Gunther said...
zan.jpg
The opposite of...

13.jpg

The stone cover rumbled in protest...whatever locked it must be magickal, for as soon as the word 'truth' was uttered, it fell inwards and shattered.

me.jpg
Let's go.

14.jpg

torian.jpg
A camp of some sort. Very isolated.
seb.jpg
A hideout.
zan.jpg
*Picks up a dusty tome.* You may want to read this, Gilford...
me.jpg
Thank you, Z'an.

15.jpg

me.jpg
A ha! K'an Hua's name appears.
virgil.jpg
That fiend?
16.jpg

me.jpg
...infiltrated the Council. Mannox's influence was too weak to stop him. "He has insinuated that the wards are merely an outward representation of an inward discipline that we all must cultivate,"
virgil.jpg
That snake...
17.jpg

me.jpg
It appears even the followers of the Panarii welcomed his recommendations. Only Mannox stayed true to the Panarii ways.
virgil.jpg
He was a brave man, he did not deserve this fate...
18.jpg

me.jpg
Ah, it appears Mannox DID meet Nasrudin.
virgil.jpg
What? Let me see that!
19.jpg

me.jpg
This meeting, caused great alarm among K'an Hua's cohorts..and they seek to kill Mannox.
seb.jpg
I assume they were successful?
me.jpg
No...Mannox fought off the elves and retreated here.
virgil.jpg
But his body..?
me.jpg
He wrote this journal's final entry and prepared himself before returning to Caladon to bring light of K'an Hua's falsehood.
virgil.jpg
So...he failed.
me.jpg
Come...let's go. I see this is his sword. Alexander needs to hear about this.

20.jpg

The party returns to the Panarii Temple in Caladon with the journal and ceremonial sword in hand..

Alexander has finished reading.

21.jpg

me.jpg
I also found this...*gives Alexander his family sword.*
alex.jpg
*He is stunned, unbelieving.* I never hoped to see this...it was lost so many years ago. It will be put to good use...I can assure you.
me.jpg
Goodbye and good luck.
alex.jpg
*He takes both Gilford's hands in both of his.* Thank you, Living One. Your help here has been invaluable. I wish you luck on your quest, and in the conflict to come...
virgil.jpg
*He clutches his right fist closely to his chest and mutters a silent prayers.*
me.jpg
We'll give it our best...

Later, at Gunther's office...

22.jpg

me.jpg
Gunther, I've discovered the truth about Mannox...
gun.jpg
Is that so? And what is it?
me.jpg
All in this journal. *Hands it over for Gunther to read.*
gun.jpg
*Gunther says nothing for a long while before he finally speaks.* It seems that we have been misled from the beginning. And now I see why we were first called the 'defenders of the gate.' It seems we have a great responsibility...we shall begin to live up to it.
me.jpg
As do we, Gunther.
gun.jpg
Well, if you haven't already, please go and tell Alexander...
me.jpg
I've already done that. Farewell to you, Gunther.
gun.jpg
I'm glad I'm not one of them. *He smiles, wickedly.*

Gilford enter's Hadrian's office. It was very quiet. The broken cup still lie on the floor, the owner appears to be helplessly lost.

23.jpg

me.jpg
Hadrian...I've found the whole truth.
had.jpg
*He whispers slightly* What?
me.jpg
Here...let me read Mannox's journal for you.
had.jpg
*Anger flares in his eyes.* The man truly was a saint....a saint and a warrior. And it seems that we Panarii have been neglecting our true duties...that will no longer be the case. *He puts a hand to Gilford's shoulder.* Thank you, my friend. You've done this church, and the world, a great service.
me.jpg
I'm glad you've finally found peace, Hadrian.
had.jpg
As a token of my appreciation, feel free to take the objects in the display cases. I can't tell you what they'd be good for, but they're yours all the same. *He gestures towards the cases as a series of clicks sounded, signaling the removal of the magical locks.*
me.jpg
Thank you, Hadrian.
had.jpg
Speak with Alexander of these things if you haven't already done so. I'm an old man, and tired...there is little I can do to right this wrong. But Alexander is strong, the strongest of us all, and will know what to do.
me.jpg
I've done that, Hadrian.
had.jpg
*He smiles, to himself* I envy not the man who Alexander finds responsible.
seb.jpg
Mmm. Treasures?
me.jpg
Careful with those display cases...

23a.jpg

Gilford slowly removes the first object from the display case. A glass key. Beautiful to the touch, yet its use is a mystery.

me.jpg
Hmmm. Seems useless.

He walks over to the second display case, labeled 'The Eye of Kraka-Tur'

me.jpg
One of the banished, eh?

23b.jpg

me.jpg
Hmmm. *Clenches the eye.* Not magickal. Disappointing.

The last display case contains the Finger of Mannox. None doubted its authenticity.

24.jpg

me.jpg
Wha- it's ..magickal! Virgil, I think you should have this.
virgil.jpg
I...if you say so, sir. *Bows his head.*
me.jpg
*Ties a string to the finger and puts it around Virgil's neck.* Wear it in good faith.
virgil.jpg
I shan't let you down.
me.jpg
We're done here...Farewell, Alexander.

25.jpg

me.jpg
So...Seb, what do you know about the Isle of Thanatos?
seb.jpg
Not much, other than it's supposed to be about the most dangerous place there is. I'm not one to shy away from a scrap, but I don't especially look forward to visiting it...
me.jpg
Any strategic advice, Torian?
torian.jpg
Fight, to the death if necessary. I am prepared to lay my life down for you, and the Island of Death seems an appropriate place to do so.
me.jpg
Don't say that...let's go.

26.jpg

me.jpg
Oh..fine...Black Root, then.
seb.jpg
Seems like more adventure awaits...
me.jpg
Aye, I'm sure. Onward!

Their sails unfurled, the party leaves Caladon for Black Root, seeking a captain brave enough to take them to the Isle of Thanatos, the rumored true resting place of the great Nasrudin.

RK47

Patron
me.jpg
So, this is Black Root. Anyone know what kind of town this is?
seb.jpg
Watch yourself around here...lots of drunk sailors with nothing to do but start trouble. If you're looking for information, the Sour Barnacle, down on the docks, is always a good place to start...
me.jpg
Good advice, Sebastian. Surely we'll find a ship owner brave enough to take us to Thanatos there...

No sooner Gilford entered the Sour Barnacle, a familiar face comes into view...

01.jpg

me.jpg
What's happened, Captain Teach?
ed.jpg
I lost me boat, matey! Went and got too drunk one night, and found myself gambling with Killian Drake, an old sea cap'n who knows his way around a dice game. He played me matey...he played me a fool and I lost me boat!
me.jpg
Do you think he cheated?
ed.jpg
Oh, I don't know if'n old Drake's a cheat. He's just lucky...about the luckiest old sea-dog I ever did meet. I can't be callin' a man a cheat just because the dice landed his way...
me.jpg
Look, maybe I could help - and I may need to call on that favor.
seb.jpg
What are you going to do? Gamble for his ship?
me.jpg
Well, if you've got a better idea-
ed.jpg
That's mighty nice of you, matey. And you know if there's anything I can do for you, Old Teach'll do it...
me.jpg
Thank you. I need to get to the Island of Thanatos..
ed.jpg
Thanatos! That's even crazier than wanting to go to the Isle of Despair. But, I'm figurin' it's important. I suppose there are a couple of different ways ye might get there. One...you could buy a boat from the shipbuilder here in Black Root, which ain't cheap...
me.jpg
I've money. But I wouldn't mind a less expensive option.
ed.jpg
You might be able to get a dice game with Old Drake, but he's no rubber-leg when it comes to dice...
seb.jpg
Out of the question. So we'll just have to buy a new ship...
me.jpg
Any more idea, Teach?
ed.jpg
Well, I'm a little leery of even mentionin' it....it's not somethin' I even like to think about, much less let spill outta me blowhole. But ye seem ta need some help, and I owe ye one.
me.jpg
Any lead would be very helpful at this point.
ed.jpg
Did I ever tell ye the story of how I came to own the Gypsy Shadow?
me.jpg
Not really...but how does it relate to my getting to Thanatos?
ed.jpg
It's just as well that I didn't tell it. But I'll say that I ened up with the Gypsy Shadow on account of the most cold-blooded murdering pirate who ever sailed the seas of Arcanum, and his name was Stringy Pete...
me.jpg
Okay, go on...
seb.jpg
This is going to be a long story...barkeep, some ale!
ed.jpg
Well...there's a legend about old Stringy Pete, and I know it to be true. You see, old Pete died more'n two hundred years ago, but legend has it he still sails the seas, a'hauntin' those souls who be unlucky enough to run across him...
me.jpg
What are you saying, Captain?
ed.jpg
I'm sayin' I seen his boat, and I know it to be real! If you could get his boat, without gettin' yerself run-through by his ghost, you'd have yourself a boat...
seb.jpg
*Takes a sip from his tankard.* Whaaat? You want us to chase ghost ships?
me.jpg
*Nods.* Seems a little flimsy, Captain. How do you find a ghost pirate's boat?
ed.jpg
Years ago, I found a secret cove. And there, on the beach, was with an unmarked grave...unmarked except for the sign a'the evil eye, which is the sign Stringy Pete used to carve of his victims. I got out of there fast, without even looking for treasure...that could have been the place where he was buried, and if'n it was, it's said most spirits return to their graves...Here...I'll mark your map with the location of the cove.
seb.jpg
Looks like you have a few options...buying, gambling, or Stringy Pete. I don't like any of them...
ed.jpg
Good luck!
me.jpg
Sigh. I'm no gambler...but the cove is so far away from Black Root. Let's see that shipbuilder at the docks...
03.jpg

me.jpg
Shipbuilder? Do you have any ships for sale?
ship.jpg
*He smiles widely.* Why, yes I do, as a matter of fact. *He points to the boat behind him.* We just finished building this one here. It's a steal at 50,000 coins!
me.jpg
Hmmm. 40,000. Do we have a deal? Or can we work something out?
ship.jpg
*He laughs* I am truly sorry, but I have no epic adventure to send you on to retrieve a magickal family heirloom! 50,000 is the price, and that is final.
me.jpg
Looks like we just need to earn a few thousand more...
seb.jpg
Maybe we should check the tavern for work...Black Root's not much, but maybe someone out there needs help.

They return to the Sour Barnacle...

04.jpg

me.jpg
One doesn't expect to see a priest in such an establishment...
dan.jpg
It's my veritable home away from home. Actually, it's just about the last place that will have me these days.
me.jpg
And your actual home would be where?
dan.jpg
Dernholm, the capital of Cumbria. I've been driven from my beloved Cumbria to end up here.
me.jpg
Why stay? Why not leave completely?
dan.jpg
I've lived in Cumbria my whole life. It is my home. I am...was the head of the Church of Cumbria.
virgil.jpg
Why are you no longer the head of the church?
dan.jpg
King Praetor is not well. When Cumbria's economy spiraled out of control, he lashed out at his advisors. When I tried to reason with him, he banished me as well.
me.jpg
So it's safe to assume you're not very fond of him?
dan.jpg
Not at all. Praetor needs more assistance than ever, now that his faculties are slipping away. Even in exile I will defend my king to my dying breath.
me.jpg
A noble conduct. Good luck to you, sir. Bartender, know any rumors? Or work to be had?
bar.jpg
Black Root used to be under the protection of Cumbria, but I think the Mayor has other plans.
seb.jpg
*Whispers* Hey, if what he says is true..then maybe we can offer our services to King Praetor. Get some coin.
me.jpg
Yeah...maybe. Let's go to Dernholm.
bar.jpg
Heading out of town already?
me.jpg
Yeah.
bar.jpg
Since you're hungry for work, why don't you pay Mrs. Cameron a visit? She's been worried sick about her missing son.
me.jpg
Thanks for the tip, barkeep.
bar.jpg
Her house is a block away from the mayor's office. Have a nice day!

They left the Sour Barnacle and pay the good lady a visit.

05.jpg

me.jpg
I am pleased to meet you, good woman. Might I ask your name?
cam.jpg
I am Mrs. Cameron, stranger. You appear to be well-traveled. Tell me..have you seen my son?
me.jpg
Who is your son?
cam.jpg
Liam. My son is Liam Cameron, the inventor. I haven't seen him in nearly 2 months. It's so unlike him. I was wondering if you passed by his workshop on your travels.
me.jpg
His workshop? I'm afraid I must have come a different route.
cam.jpg
He's a tinkerer, like his father before him. Always working on some new gadget. He built himself a workshop about three day's travel into the woods, so he wouldn't be disturbed.
me.jpg
And he is missing?
cam.jpg
His normal routine was to trek back here once a month, to visit me and stock up on supplies. It's been nearly two, and I haven't heard a thing. What with the strange happenings going on in the woods, I'm very worried.
me.jpg
I see why you would be concerned. Would you like me to find him?
cam.jpg
Would you?! I'd be so grateful! I realize it's a mother's place to worry. But this is so unlike Liam. I'd appreciate any attempt you could make to locate him.
me.jpg
Here, show on my map where his workshop is...I'll bring you news soon.
geoff.jpg
Why are we being so helpful all the sudden?
me.jpg
Geoffrey, we need the gold.
geoff.jpg
I hate performing these errands, it's degrading.
me.jpg
Look, it's a temporary measure. Just bear with it for a while.
geoff.jpg
Hmph. Keep this up and I might leave...

The party review their options.

06.jpg

me.jpg
Stringy Pete's Cove is far to the north...south on the coast off Morbihan Plains. I think it'll take us at least a week to get there.
seb.jpg
Let's head to Dernholm. Helping out the king might net us some serious gold.
me.jpg
Right. Let's drop by Liam's workshop along the way.

07.jpg

A few days of journey later...

08.jpg

me.jpg
Hello? Anyone here? Looks abandoned. Locked chest. Get to it Seb.
09.jpg

seb.jpg
Problem solved.
me.jpg
*Opens the chest* What's this?
seb.jpg
Uh...it's a magickal trap.
me.jpg
What does it do? *Hands over the contraption to Sebastian and continues digging through the chest.* Oh, a scroll of Disperse Magick.
seb.jpg
It does the same thing as that magical scroll.
me.jpg
Coincidence?
virgil.jpg
Sir, I found Liam's Journal.
me.jpg
Let's have a look.
11.jpg

me.jpg
Perhaps Liam's under some sort of medication?
seb.jpg
Why do you say that?
me.jpg
He kept 'encountering strange beasts.'
12.jpg

me.jpg
Uh oh.
seb.jpg
What is it?
me.jpg
The scroll and traps. They were no coincidence.
13.jpg

me.jpg
Liam could be in trouble. Let's go! *Closes the book.*
14.jpg

seb.jpg
Where to?
me.jpg
Let's follow the trail south...
seb.jpg
Not too quickly now...you're getting too far ahead...
me.jpg
What the hell is that?
15.jpg

me.jpg
It appears Liam met his monsters.
seb.jpg
Never seen anything like that before...it's almost as if..
min.jpg
It came from another world.
me.jpg
Are you certain?
min.jpg
I cannot be sure, but Liam's journal..and traces of magick...seems to originate from the west.

The party continued west, slaying more strange beasts.

me.jpg
Looks like we're too late.
16.jpg

Liam's body has decomposed. Another magickal trap was found in his pack.

me.jpg
A brave attempt, Liam. We'll finish it for you.
min.jpg
I can sense the presence getting stronger...we're getting closer..I ...this is ...the Void?
me.jpg
Are you sure?

A flickering ball of reddish light caught his eyes, and Gilford looked straight at it. A swirling vortex of energy seems to form a gateway where creatures emerge from.

17.jpg

me.jpg
Shit! They've noticed us! Let's get them!

More beasts emerge despite Gilford magick slaying them.

18.jpg

me.jpg
Need some help here...

Torian's ax ended one's life while the loyal dog tore another. Sebastian claims the third.

19.jpg

me.jpg
Is that it?
min.jpg
No...the portal remains open...we must seal it..
20.jpg

virgil.jpg
How could this happen? Does this mean Arronax can appear here as well?
geoff.jpg
Of course not you bloody fool! It's too small for him. Just enough for these critters to appear. Gilford, disperse the gate's magick!
seb.jpg
The necromancer's right! Use the magickal trap or the scroll! Either one works! Hurry!
me.jpg
Alright...here we...how do I operate this..

With a loud clack, the magickal trap opens and buzz with energy. Suddenly it shattered as the swirling portal energy explodes in a shower of red sparks.

21.jpg

me.jpg
Ughhh! Did it work?
geoff.jpg
No more red glow. You think?
22.jpg

torian.jpg
Let us finish these hell-spawns.

To everyone's surprise, the creatures reacted violently to the portal's closure. Exploding into a shower of red magickal energy themselves.

23.jpg

min.jpg
It seems they perish once they lost their link to the Void...or wherever they came from.
me.jpg
Are you sure it's the Void?
min.jpg
I cannot be sure...
geoff.jpg
Who cares, it's dead now. Let's go back and claim our reward. Risking our lives for some damnable inventor's fate.
me.jpg
Calm down, Geoffrey, surely you know the dangers if the portal remain opened...
geoff.jpg
Hmph, whatever.

Gilford cast a glance back at the creatures' corpses as they walk away from the clearing.

me.jpg
(The Void. One day, we'll have to face Arronax within or these beasts will pour forth to this world.)
seb.jpg
Hate to interrupt, are we still heading to Dernholm?
me.jpg
Yes...let's head south.

24.jpg

Radisshu

Prophet
This makes me want to replay Arcanum, although the LP strings the plot together in a better way than the actual game did

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Not going for the ghost ship? I thought I ended up going for that option almost every time.

Man it's been ages since I played, I barely remember a lot of this stuff. Great as usual RK

RK47

Patron
me.jpg
Cheer up, Geoffrey. This won't take long...
geoff.jpg
Remind me where are we headed to now and for what silly reason?
me.jpg
Dernholm.
01.jpg

me.jpg
Well, I was hoping we'll fix that. And get rewarded.
geoff.jpg
Might as well try to turn turd into gold, spit. Just look at this city. Dreadful!
seb.jpg
He's got a point, though. I expected something more...but this place is really rock-bottom. Look at the statue over there...

A statue of a monarch stands crooked on the town square. The trees nearby are devoid of leaves, and the grass barely grow on the barren soil. Perhaps mirroring the state of Cumbria today.

me.jpg
*Sigh.* You look troubled, Z'an. What's the matter?
02.jpg

me.jpg
Yeah...*Notices a passing townsfolk.* Excuse me, dear lady. Any rumors about in Dernholm?
03.jpg

me.jpg
I see.
seb.jpg
Still sure about helping King Praetor? I really thing there's nothing worth saving here. *Picks up a newspaper from the ground and hands it over to Gilford.*
04.jpg

me.jpg
I get what you mean, but we're just here to tidy this place a bit, and earn some gold. No commitments.
seb.jpg
Well, lead the way, then.
05.jpg

The walls of the castles are crumbling and dark, much like the figure standing over the throne. King Praetor appears troubled. Nevertheless, he forced himself to smile at the arrival of a powerful mage to his court.

06.jpg

me.jpg
I thank you, Your Majesty. What has happened to your lands?
pra.jpg
Alas, we are a poor people now, with limited resources, and I fear my citizens are slowly starving. Cursed technology has toppled my dear Cumbria from its former glory.
me.jpg
Technology is the scourge of our age, my good sir.
pra.jpg
I courted the mages of Tulla in an effort to defeat the technology driven madness of Arland. They swore technology was weak compared to the magicks they wielded, yet it was strong enough to defeat our economy.
me.jpg
(Can't summon bread?) Why haven't the mages helped?
pra.jpg
They could not face the truth after their ignorance doomed me. Eventually, they all fled.
me.jpg
I can't believe the mages turned their backs on you.
pra.jpg
Well that may be, but I could use someone of your...nature to help me now.
me.jpg
(Score.) At your service, your majesty.
pra.jpg
I have need of a courier. There appears to be some sort of problem with Black Root, one of our outlying provinces. I could use someone to look into it.
me.jpg
What's the nature of this problem, milord?
pra.jpg
Two years ago, Black Root sent word that they could not meet their taxes, their crops had failed. I haven't heard from them since. I need someone to investigate and collect what I'm owed - five gold bars, I believe.
me.jpg
Could they have betrayed your majesty?
pra.jpg
Never! They are my loyal subjects. Would you be interested in such a venture?
me.jpg
I'll give it a go.
seb.jpg
Seems dire. King Praetor is definitely not in control of the situation, relying on a complete outsider to collect a year's worth of taxes seems...unwise.
me.jpg
Well. We're not stealing it, if that's what you're suggesting...
geoff.jpg
WHAT!
me.jpg
Look, Geoffrey, I don't want to be hunted at every turn. We just need a few thousand to buy a ship.
geoff.jpg
Can't you see how hopeless this kingdom is?! Praetor wagered on magick and lost! That fool didn't understand how things supposed to work and blamed mages for everything, he had a kingdom once, now all he had is Cumbria in name only!
me.jpg
Are you going to calm down or do I have to call the Cumbrian guards on you?
geoff.jpg
Pfft.

The party returned to Black Root days later...

me.jpg
I better deliver the bad news to Liam's mother.
12.jpg

me.jpg
I have news of Liam, Mrs. Cameron.
cam.jpg
What news? Where is he?
me.jpg
I am sorry. He was killed by one of the beasts roaming the forest.
cam.jpg
No! My baby! My poor baby! *Sobs into her apron* I'm all alone...I have no one left. No one.
me.jpg
He died trying to stop the creatures from the Void. He was a hero, ma'am.
cam.jpg
But they killed him and they still roam! His death was in vain...
me.jpg
No, it wasn't. It was his creation that enabled us to stop them.
cam.jpg
Truly?
me.jpg
If not for your son, this city would have been overrun...
cam.jpg
I will miss him so...
me.jpg
Here, take this journal at the workshop. He wanted you to have it.
cam.jpg
*Clutches the journal tightly.* Thank you. Thank you for taking such risks to bring this to me. Here, take this dagger, a small token of my gratitude.
me.jpg
Thank you. I am sorry for your loss. Goodbye.
virgil.jpg
Breaks your heart, doesn't it?
me.jpg
Yeah, wish we could get Liam back...but it's been weeks. Let's head to the mayor's office.

13.jpg

me.jpg
I am here on behalf of King Praetor.
may.jpg
What do you want?
me.jpg
I'm here to collect the taxes Black Root owes.
may.jpg
Black Root is allied with the Unified Kingdom now. I collect taxes only for Tarant.
seb.jpg
Shit.
me.jpg
We can't have that. And I'm sure King Praetor would disagree.
may.jpg
I care not of Praetor or yourself, sir. Cumbria has left us to fend for ourselves too long. We are under the protection of Tarant now.
me.jpg
Are they even doing a good job of keeping Black Root secure?
may.jpg
Of course. They have their own procedures, but they have protected our fair town within their capabilities.
me.jpg
Within their capabilities? What does that mean?
may.jpg
Well, there are certain rules of propriety, you know, probable cause and proof of wrongdoings as it were.
me.jpg
Stop wasting my time with your ramblings and get to the point. Is there some difficulty they cannot deal with?
may.jpg
I'm sure they will dead with our thievery problem in due time.
me.jpg
I can solve yours by today.
may.jpg
Hmm. They stole my badge of office, a ceremonial silver dagger. If you can recover it from them, it would be proof I need to have them arrested.
me.jpg
You don't have to arrest them. They'd be dead before sundown. And you better have the gold bars ready for transport.
may.jpg
They have been known to lurk somewhere near the outskirts of town. Their leader is an elf named D'ak Taan, I believe. Godspeed, sir.

They searched the outskirts of Black Root and located the camp across a stream, just past the train station.

me.jpg
Weapons at the ready.
seb.jpg
Okay, boss.
14.jpg

me.jpg
I was told to find D'ak Taan out here.
dak.jpg
And what business would you have with D'ak Taan, if he were here?
me.jpg
I've been sent here by the mayor of Black Root.
dak.jpg
The mayor? Ha! A very personal friend of mine. I am D'ak Taan, and I hope for your sake, my friend, that you're not here to defend the mayor's honor.
me.jpg
I'm only here to retrieve his property.
dak.jpg
And if I have it, how do you intend to obtain it?
me.jpg
A month or two ago, I would've bargained for it with some gold, or perhaps perform errands to take it...or maybe flick a finger to call some ogres to bash your head in....
dak.jpg
*Glares and reach out to his longbow*
me.jpg
But today, I'll just clench my fist and snuff the lives out of your worthless hides if you don't hand that damn dagger over.
dak.jpg
You don't scare me...
me.jpg
Oh really? Say, have you been to Qintarra? I heard there were lots of burials there...
dak.jpg
What? What happened there?
me.jpg
I happened. Die.
15.jpg

16.jpg

me.jpg
Farewell. *Rummages through the bandit's pocket.* Got the dagger. Let's go.
17.jpg

me.jpg
Not until your reconsider your allegiances.
may.jpg
Why would I do such a thing?
me.jpg
Your guards can't even complete a simple task. There's no arrests to be made. They're all dead. And you might be next if you don't cooperate.
may.jpg
I...fine. Your point is well-taken, what would you have me do?
me.jpg
Give me the taxes and align yourself with Cumbria.
may.jpg
I...accept your proposal.
me.jpg
Excellent. The gold?
may.jpg
Here..it is. *Holds out a chest.*
me.jpg
Hold it with care, Torian. We're going to Dernholm.

The party return to Dernholm...

seb.jpg
Was it the right thing to do?
me.jpg
What? Killing the bandits?
seb.jpg
No..I mean Black Root's allegiance. Cumbria at its current state, won't have a chance in hell of winning a war if the Unified Kingdom wants Black root.
me.jpg
That's not my problem. As long Tarant loses something out of it...
seb.jpg
You're being awfully irrational here...the people of Black Root is innocent.
me.jpg
Let the war sort them out...all I know the peace won't hold for long, Caladon, Cumbria and Tarant will fight it out...we'll see who stands once the dust settles.
18.jpg

me.jpg
I've brought you the taxes.
pra.jpg
Excellent!! Thank you for retrieving the taxes, here's your share.
geoff.jpg
Only 200 coin?!
me.jpg
Hush.
pra.jpg
There's something of a ...personal nature..*He drifts off, seemingly lost in thought*
me.jpg
Such as?
pra.jpg
My daughter has chosen to take up with Auguste Farad, prince of Arland, against my wishes.
me.jpg
Tell me more.
pra.jpg
I fear my harshness has driven her away. She refuses to communicate with me.
me.jpg
Your majesty would like me to speak to her?
pra.jpg
Yes, I believe she's living in Caladon, capital of Arland, with the prince. Will you help?
me.jpg
Of course, how could I not?
pra.jpg
May the gods bless you, my son. I believe she must have taken one of my ships to get to Caladon. Perhaps your should start by speaking with one of my dock workers, they may have some information for you.
me.jpg
I'll return with word from her shortly.
geoff.jpg
Goddamnit, Gilford! All that work, for 200 gold?! We could've taken the FIVE BARS and end up with enough money to buy over his castle guards to stab his back!
me.jpg
Look, there's still this second job. And did you forget the junk we looted off the dead bandits? That was a thousand gold. Let's go.
19.jpg

me.jpg
Have you seen the princess, recently?
ber.jpg
Not since she got on the boat, what was it, ...oh, about a month ago. I told the captain he was a fool for attempting to sail in that weather, but nobody listens to old Bernard.
me.jpg
The weather was that bad?
ber.jpg
The worst I'd seen in an age, I'll tell you that. Damned fool. He was meant to be back from Cumbria by now, as well. If the king finds out, there will be hell to pay.
me.jpg
Thank you for your time. Good day.
seb.jpg
Sounds bad, think she made it safely to Caladon?
me.jpg
Only one way to find out...
geoff.jpg
WAIT JUST A DAMN MINUTE! You're going to take a ship to Caladon, costing us a hundred gold per head? I doubt that old fool will pay us even five hundred for this messenger boy task!
me.jpg
Fine, I see you point. Let's drop that idea.
geoff.jpg
Good. *Looks relieved.*

Days later....

geoff.jpg
Gilford, just where the hell are we going?
me.jpg
You said the sea fare's expensive, so we're taking the Wyvern bridge. Basically the land route...
22.jpg

geoff.jpg
:rage:

RK47

Patron
Hmmm. I thought so too, but I don't know where to start searching for it. Doesn't matter, we'll be owning our own ship soon. Bye bye paid trips.

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Not only that - Gilford making a point about sea travel's speed is nice that way :)

Alain Gilford, Enemy of Tarant, murderer of Bates, The False Living One, Butcher of Quintarra... and Arcanum's last hope of survival.

Lindblum

Augur
I surprised Geofrey hasn't left with all your good deeds done.

Or are you keeping him loaded on Earl Grey Tea?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom