Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum - Summoner: Goodbye, Arcanum?

Cassidy

Arcane
I know it's an inane suggestion and a bit too late for it, but supposing you have some basic knowledge on how to mod Arcanum, you should've added random encounters where an apparently human NPC shapeshifts into Drog Black Tooth's ghost or alive: whatever makes more sense, after defeating his first incarnation in Stillwater.

:M

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Sorry man, I'm on sick leave today and I just received a call from the office that somehow...the email system is botched...I think I'm pretty much fucked. I looked at the window and considered jumping out...

Mmm..let's order Domino pizza first...and see where it goes..

friartucksduck

Educated
RK47 said:
Sorry man, I'm on sick leave today and I just received a call from the office that somehow...the email system is botched...I think I'm pretty much fucked. I looked at the window and considered jumping out...

Mmm..let's order Domino pizza first...and see where it goes..

Delivery pizza vs. defenestration: a dilemma for the ages.

RK47

Patron
01.jpg

The party strikes south, escaping the darkness of T'sen Ang. Leaving a trail of death in their wake.

me.jpg
First...Bates..then King of the Dwarves...Elves of Qintarra...Perhaps..Virgil was right in leaving.
seb.jpg
He must have his reasons. He'd sacrifice his life for you if need be..
geoff.jpg
Bah! We don't need him...Oh, look, wolves! KILL IT!
zan.jpg
You travel with strange companions, Gilford.

02.jpg

me.jpg
I'm sure Virgil will be in Caladon...
seb.jpg
Then why are we heading to Shrouded Hills?
me.jpg
I know a good doctor there..and it's where all this started. I...could use a little reflection before we go on. It's where I met Virgil.
seb.jpg
Fine. Just remember to buy me some bullets...my chambers' all empty.

Days later...
03.jpg

geoff.jpg
I take it you raised hell the last time you were here?
me.jpg
You have no idea...

04.jpg

me.jpg
What makes you think it was me?
deputy.jpg
We post guards to watch the thieves, and they were all on the upper bridge when the materials were destroyed. I've got no proof, but you seem the obvious choice.
me.jpg
Point that finger at me again, and you'll lose it.
deputy.jpg
Y-y-y-you think you can s-s-s-scare me? I'm..a..m-m-man of the l-l-law...
seb.jpg
Sigh...time's wasting, Gilford. Let's go.
me.jpg
Right...got to do something about this scar...

05.jpg

me.jpg
Hi Doc, I would like to be healed.

Moments later...

seb.jpg
Mmm, good as new. I suppose we're ready to move?
me.jpg
In a bit...I need to pick up something..

06.jpg

me.jpg
I want that camera, Ristezze...

The charlatan actually charged over a thousand gold, but at this point Gilford didn't mind. He had plenty to spare. Ristezze's eyes grew large when the pouch exchanged hands.

seb.jpg
That camera better be worth it...what's in it anyway?
me.jpg
I'll show you...come.

Later....

07.jpg

me.jpg
This is where I met him.
seb.jpg
The Zephyr!
zan.jpg
This...actually flew?
torian.jpg
I cannot fathom this...creation.
me.jpg
They took out this airship...just to stop Stennar from warning Bates of Arronax's return.
geoff.jpg
But you survived! What are the odds?!
me.jpg
I would've not cared much of it all, if not for Stennar's dying words and the Molochean Hands continued interest into my death.
seb.jpg
Someone should definitely clear up this mess...

08.jpg

me.jpg
Vendrigoth...something in Vendrigoth is capable of stopping Arronax..but we don't have a clue to its whereabouts. This Kan Hua is all we have...Z'an Al'urin, what do you know about Arronax?
zan.jpg
Only what I've told you before. And it seems that he is responsible for what is happening to you...for what is happening to everyone. I think that Arronax has a lot to answer for...
me.jpg
Geoffrey?
geoff.jpg
Arronax! Bloody powerful old elf, unless I'm mixing him up with someone else...there were so many damned elves running around during the Age of Legends. I swear, if you didn't have pointy ears and a ghostish complexion when you weren't making the historical who's who. So VERY old fashioned....
me.jpg
Yes...the Ring of Brodgar...Prison of the Void. I think our answer lies with the followers of Nasrudin...

09.jpg

seb.jpg
There's a major Panarii temple at Caladon..
me.jpg
Yes..and perhaps, we'll find Virgil there...

Tarant

me.jpg
I think I know why Virgil left.
seb.jpg
What is it?
me.jpg
I'm not sure...I still need to confirm it. Let's go. Census office.

10.jpg

me.jpg
Are you able to help me locate an individual?
girl.jpg
May I have the individual's name?
me.jpg
Brummont. Lawrence Brummond...
girl.jpg
Hold on a moment. *She looks through her files.* Yes, I do have something on a Lawrence Brummond, although he's not a citizen of Tarant. It's a newspaper article...here's a copy for you...
me.jpg
Thank you, madam.

11.jpg

me.jpg
He had a brother.
seb.jpg
He's plotting revenge?
me.jpg
I'm not sure..but considering his shady past, I'm very sure he's about to do something reckless in Caladon.
geoff.jpg
Mmm.. He's going to get himself killed. Again.
me.jpg
Come...what's a matter, Z'an? You seem distracted.
12.jpg

me.jpg
Don't think about it too much...let's go. I hate to delay, but we have someone to find in Ashbury...

Ashbury

seb.jpg
That's the address...Mr. Burbuttom must be here...
dog.jpg
*Growls*
me.jpg
Seb...there's someone injured in the house...let's go!

13.jpg

me.jpg
Curses! We're too late.

A gnome lies dying on the ground as the assassin teleports away.

14.jpg

me.jpg
Sir! What has happened here?
elm.jpg
I was attacked...I've been wounded...it hurts, oh god, it hurts...
me.jpg
Who are you?
elm.jpg
I am Kendrick...Kendrick Wales..P-perhaps you've h-heard of the book I wrote.."The Curse of T'sen-Ang"...?
me.jpg
Yes, I've read the book. That's why I'm here...
elm.jpg
Wh-what do you mean?
me.jpg
Perhaps this isn't the best time, but I'm looking for Elmer Burbottom...
elm.jpg
*He coughs up blood.* Why are you looking for him?
me.jpg
The Widow Misk would like to know who leaked the existence of that book...Mr. Burbottom's name came up in my investigation..
elm.jpg
*He holds out his hand.* Listen, friend...I don't have much time...the w-weapon used on me...I think it was magickal...I can feel the life leaving me even n-now...*He closes his eyes, teeth clenching against the pain.* I am...him. Elmer Burbottom...
me.jpg
You are? I don't understand...
elm.jpg
K-Kendric Wales is merely my pen name...I d-don't think anyone would buy a b-book by s-someone named Elemer B-burbottom...*He laughs, cringing.* It seems so trivial, n-now...
me.jpg
You paid Wesley the butler for the information?
elm.jpg
Y-yes. And now it seems that the death of Victor Misk is on my head as well. It seems none of us can escape the C-curse...*He looks up, fear in his eyes..* Perhaps not even you...
seb.jpg
You don't know that...
me.jpg
Kendrick, save your strength...I'll get some help..
elm.jpg
Sorry, my friend. I don't t-think there's anything to b-be done...f-for what it's worth, I-I'm sorry. Tell the Widow Misk I'm sorry...*His body convulses.*
me.jpg
Go in peace, gnome.

The gnome sighed his final breath. Gilford gently folds the lifeless hands on the gnome's chest and cast the eyes' shut, granting a small amount of dignity upon death.

me.jpg
Let's go. There's nothing left for us here.

15.jpg

Lindblum

Augur
Aside from the Level Cap Remover/HD patches etc.. most mods don't go too well with the UAP.

In a sense you're trading bugs for modifications such as stacking items new buildings and new items.

Your alignment is way past -1000 right? Seeing as you murdered everyone in Quintarra...
Assuming you replayed identically after applying the newest UAP.

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
/thread hijack
I played a dumb game with the newest uap and took Min Gorad's quest quest to kill all inhabitants of Stillwater. I killed everyone even Drog and the sorcerer but the quest isn't striked out and I didn't gain a fatepoint. Is that because I did the dodge master quest before (got him his eyes and his bitch back so he's in Roseborough now, killing him doesn't help, either)? Pretty annoying.

And is there a way to properly continue after Qintarra for a dumb char? Going to the census bureau is no use.

RK47

Patron
Thor Kaufman said:
/thread hijack
I played a dumb game with the newest uap and took Min Gorad's quest quest to kill all inhabitants of Stillwater. I killed everyone even Drog and the sorcerer but the quest isn't striked out and I didn't gain a fatepoint. Is that because I did the dodge master quest before (got him his eyes and his bitch back so he's in Roseborough now, killing him doesn't help, either)? Pretty annoying.

Kill all inhabitants? Are you sure you killed everyone? Checked all stores? General Stores?

ma-stillwater.jpg

Thor Kaufman said:
And is there a way to properly continue after Qintarra for a dumb char? Going to the census bureau is no use.

Dumb characters...hmm. Trash the Census office, bash all cabinets etc. Failing that, bash the librarians...Are you sure you're stuck? I went past that section pretty well and even paid the librarian for the book too..

Linblum said:
Your alignment is way past -1000 right? Seeing as you murdered everyone in Quintarra...
Assuming you replayed identically after applying the newest UAP.

The latest UAP Patch removed the bug with the Dark Helmet. Or freed Gilford from the curse. The decrease in alignment is no longer permanent, and hence...reversible. Gilford is now at -40 alignment.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The plot thickens! Multiple plots!

Good thing I've played Arcanum a ton or I might get confused.

Good stuff as per usual, RK47.

RK47

Patron
Good news bros, i didn't get fired. (Or maybe it was bad news?) :lol: Update tonight.

RK47

Patron
Music : Elipse

Their ship docked at Caladon, days later...

me.jpg
Read the papers yet, Seb?
seb.jpg
What's new? They still celebrating the Whytechurch murders? *Takes a sip from his bottle.*
me.jpg
Here. *Toss the papers at Seb.*
seb.jpg
Huh wha- *Spat out his drink.* What the fuck?
01.jpg

geoff.jpg
Looks like you're finally coming out of the closet, eh?
me.jpg
I'm ready for whatever.
torian.jpg
It seems your time of hiding has come to an end... your enemies will surely take note...if they had not already.
me.jpg
It'll be a good slap on the face on M'in Gorad, if she's still alive...
zan.jpg
Certainly, they will be more desperate to put their plans in motion...as we too, must double our efforts in stifling theirs...
me.jpg
Yes...*Rubs his chin.* Z'an Al'urin, tell me of Caladon.
03.jpg

geoff.jpg
She got lucky with Misk...but a flying man?
seb.jpg
I don't really buy into this whole 'fortune telling' business, but whatever.
me.jpg
Come, let's find Virgil before he loses himself.

Later, at the Sobbing Onion...

04.jpg

me.jpg
I have some questions about a passport you made...
raz.jpg
I do not know what you are talking about. I do not 'make' passports...that is against the law.
me.jpg
Mr. Preston Radcliffe begs to differ..*Tosses the passport on the pool table.*
raz.jpg
*Looks shocked and slightly afraid.* Where did you get that?
me.jpg
Off a body near the IFS Zephyr. I need some information about him.
raz.jpg
*Looks at Gilford warily.* Who was this man, anyway? You are not the only person who has been asking questions...
me.jpg
Who? Who else have been looking for him?
raz.jpg
A couple of thugs came by right after the Zephyr left Caladon. They wanted information about him. When I refused to talk, they decided I needed a little encouragement *Pain is written in his eyes.* I do not know who they are...
me.jpg
What did they get out of you?
raz.jpg
I told them that I had made him a passport...that he had chosen Preston Radcliffe as his name, a gnome from Tarant. I also informed them that they were too late...He had just departed on the Zephyr and there was nothing they could do about it...or so I had thought...
me.jpg
What did they do?
raz.jpg
They were insistent that I give them information on how to get to the Zephyr. I laughed bitterly and told them they were out of their minds...Crazy old Maxim, had built the Zephyr in his factory outside of town, and it was one of a kind beast...
me.jpg
You told them where the factory was?
raz.jpg
I thought nothing of it. Everyone knew where Maxim's factory was...It was that very night that it was burnt to the ground. That is all I know.
me.jpg
I see...the pieces of the puzzle is becoming clear...
seb.jpg
What next, boss?
me.jpg
Just another question, Mr. Razzia...where is Virgil?
raz.jpg
Oh..him. He went down to the gambling den downstairs..said he's trying to win back his losses...strange fellow. Been a while since he's back...guess old habits die hard, eh?
me.jpg
Very well. *Eyes the trap door.*

05.jpg

me.jpg
Let's go.
raz.jpg
Try to keep it hush-hush, eh?
me.jpg
Oh, we'll be quiet as a mouse...
06.jpg

dog.jpg
*Growls.*
torian.jpg
I can hear fighting in the next room...
seb.jpg
Sounds like gunshots!
me.jpg
VIRGIL! Is that you?!

More shots followed...and the sickening sound of metal colliding with flesh...a dull chop...and final thud was heard.

me.jpg
Virgil! *Burst in to the room.*

07.jpg

me.jpg
You...
king.jpg
Ahh...so the worm has friends....too bad you came too late....now if you would kindly forget what you've seen here...
me.jpg
I will forget NOTHING. - Hellgate -
08.jpg

zan.jpg
Demon magicks!
geoff.jpg
Stand back, elf...you won't like it when Gilford's angry...
seb.jpg
Shit, he's in the way. I can't shoot!

09.jpg

king.jpg
What sorcery is this?!
me.jpg
*Snaps his finger four times.*
king.jpg
WHa-UGHH! My head! GET OUT OF MY-

10.jpg

seb.jpg
What did he just do?
zan.jpg
He just broke their minds...completely helpless...
me.jpg
Die.

11.jpg

The demons tore the half ling apart in seconds...his companions desperately trying to recover from Gilford's mind assault.

me.jpg
Your life is like a candle in the wind. *Holds out an open palm towards the dwarf gunner and clenches it into a fist.*

12.jpg

king.jpg
STOP..STOPPPPPP!!
geoff.jpg
I just came in my pants.
zan.jpg
Quench life. Necromancy's highest circle magick...stop, Gilford..you can't maintain it...
king.jpg
You..beasts....call them off! CALL THEM - ARGGGHHHH!

13.jpg

seb.jpg
Fuck, that's the last bastard standing, Gilford...call the demons off...he's giving up!
me.jpg
No.

14.jpg

zan.jpg
Fool..you've over-extended yourself!
me.jpg
Ahh...finish ...him.

Gilford collapses as the demon swung its final blow.

15.jpg

seb.jpg
Gilford! Get up!
geoff.jpg
Mmm...we didn't even have to lift a finger...fantastic.
zan.jpg
Let him lay still for a moment...he'll be fine.

16.jpg

me.jpg
Is it...over?
seb.jpg
Yeah. You got them all. Want me to shoot them on the head to make sure?
geoff.jpg
Tsk, what a waste of bullets, ol' puppy here could use a meal!
dog.jpg
*Whimpers.*
me.jpg
Virgil....can..he...can he be saved?

Lindblum

Augur
-40 alignmet that means you *waits till next update*

Also what level was Virgil when he left you anyway?
Under 30?

RK47

Patron
Lindblum said:
-40 alignmet that means you *waits till next update*

Also what level was Virgil when he left you anyway?
Under 30?

He didn't miss much...I think at this point...as illustrated here, Gilford can win fights on his own....

Lindblum

Augur
If Virgil left your party at a low level, he will eventually learn Ressurect.

I sort of forgot you took the XP background so nevermind.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Your writing stylings are awesome as usual, RK47.

...I have nothing more to add. Never liked Virgil.

RK47

Patron
Lindblum said:
If Virgil left your party at a low level, he will eventually learn Ressurect.

I sort of forgot you took the XP background so nevermind.

Drog's patch removed the Virgil Replacement issue that many players are having.
Originally it works like this: Virgil's stats and inventory will get replaced with another Virgil Mark 2 template at a specific level (25, IIRC). This caused a lot of players to lose quest items and other goodies they had with Virgil at that time.

Drog's patch allows the original Virgil to return, unmolested. You'll find all the stuff he equipped on his corpse.

RK47

Patron
Music: Voices of War
01.jpg

seb.jpg
Think there's still time?
zan.jpg
It depends on the caster...and how hard the victim is clinging to this world...I'd say...Virgil should return.
me.jpg
*Breaks the seal on the scroll of Resurrection.*
02.jpg

me.jpg
Get up, Virgil! We're not done yet...
03.jpg

torian.jpg
It's working!
geoff.jpg
Well, he has two options...do it the normal way...or,become a zombie...

Virgil's lifeless body returns to life and rose slowly..a wry smile on his lips.

04.jpg

me.jpg
Virgil, what happened here?
virgil.jpg
These men...they were the men who killed my brother..
me.jpg
Lawrence?
virgil.jpg
*He looks around at them, almost with pity.* I had come here tonight to confront my past, once and for all. I knew that it would most certainly lead to my own death, but I just couldn't run from it any longer..
me.jpg
Start from the beginning, Virgil. You owe me that much...
virgil.jpg
Yes...it no longer holds any power over me. *He takes a deep breath.* Before I met you, before I met Joachim, I was very different. I was a criminal, really, an evil man..there's no other way to say it, and I don't mind admitting it to you now...
me.jpg
*Nods.*
virgil.jpg
I lived my life like a dead man...well, at least in the sense that I used to view such things. I cared very little for anything at all, I lived only from moment to moment, no sense of right or wrong...I stole, or lied, or even killed with no thought for morality or consequence. And the men I associated with were the same way...such lives feed upon themselves.
me.jpg
Your family?
me.jpg
We moved to Caladon when I was younger. Lawrence and I were close in our early years, but the life I chose to lead as I grew older was repulsive to him, and we finally had a falling out. At the time, I didn't care...the dead have no family, and remember not their pasts...
me.jpg
I see.
virgil.jpg
This place, *He motions around him.* is a place for the walking dead...a place where men gather to feed their darker sides. I knew it well...too well. I spent a lot of time here..time and money. I also gambled with men who make a living doing so...and one night I lose more money than I had...
me.jpg
And you didn't pay?
virgil.jpg
I was threatened physically when I couldn't pay...but what is pain to dead men? I laughed and bled and spat on them. It was only then that they threatened to kill my brother if I didn't pay. Of course, I thought it was only a threat, and, really, in the end I didn't feel anything about the matter. I'd left all of that behind me...or at least that's what I thought...
me.jpg
I'm sorry, Virgil.
virgil.jpg
I can't tell you the pain which tore open my very soul when I found Lawrence, bleeding and broken, the life gone out of him. I cursed myself, and the gods, and everything else I had forsaken, and I ran. I ran so far and so fast that I don't remember anything until I...
me.jpg
Virgil, enough. It's over.
05.jpg

me.jpg
What? Who are you?
seb.jpg
How did he get here? Hands up! *Raises his gun.* No sudden moves!
joa.jpg
*Calmly replies.* I am Elder Joachim.
me.jpg
Virgil's mentor?
joa.jpg
Yes. It is I. I must apologize...I have been so busy trying to find out who was trying to kill you and why, that I neglected to consider the fact that you might need my help in other matters. But, you are alive and so I rejoice...
me.jpg
How did you know where to find us?
joa.jpg
I'd heard that Virgil was back in Caladon, alone. I feared the worst, as I knew a little more about his past than you did. I've been searching for him for the past week, and only now did I find him. You've changed much, young Virgil...
virgil.jpg
Yes, Joachim. And I have seen much. But I still remember the lessons you taught me. They have brought me through all of this. Even through death itself...
joa.jpg
I knew from the moment I saw you that you were special somehow, that you were meant for more than the life you left behind. And I see that I was right...the Living One couldn't have chosen a better companion. You will be a powerful in the battle to come...
me.jpg
Speaking of battles, what have YOU been doing, Joachim?
geoff.jpg
Aside from needing a trim on his beard and conveniently dropping by after his disciple gets murdered? Not much.
joa.jpg
Well, since I left Stillwater, I've been trying to find out if the prophecies say anymore about what is you're supposed to be doing. Unless I've missed something, Arronax hasn't yet returned. What have YOU found out?
me.jpg
The prophecies are true..the dark elves of T'sen Ang are trying to bring him back from the Void. I know not how, but it involves the Ring of Brodgar. Theirs is a convoluted plot involving the dwarves and a hapless human named Gilbert Bates. I'm afraid I'm at a loss myself on how to stop him now.
joa.jpg
Ah. That's quite a tale. You've done very well, and I think your journey is approaching the end...Why not visit the Temple of Panarii at Caladon. Perhaps they may grant you some assistance?
me.jpg
I hope so. Are you coming with us, Joachim?
joa.jpg
No...I think that you're in capable hands. *He smiles at Virgil.* I am no longer needed here, but I'm sure I can find something to keep me busy. Good luck. May the spirit of Nasrudin be with you and guide your path. Farewell...
me.jpg
Farewell, Joachim. *Turns towards Virgil.* Virgil?
virgil.jpg
I was just saying that I came here tonight to face my past, and to avenge my brother whom I betrayed. These men were the men who killed him. I knew that I wouldn't survive, but the weight of his death, and my cowardice, were too much to bear any longer. And here you found me...
me.jpg
Silly, you could've asked for help...and I'd gladly give it. I'm glad you're back. Will you join us, again?
virgil.jpg
Yes, of course I will journey with you--as your protector, and as your friend. As if I've got a bloody choice! Aren't we all just pawns of prophecy? *He laughs*
me.jpg
I'm glad, Virgil. Shall we?
virgil.jpg
Yes...let us continue on..
dog.jpg
Arf! Arf!
seb.jpg
He saved you like that too, boy. You remember, don't you?
dog.jpg
*Barks in acknowledgment*
geoff.jpg
Pfft. As if we needed healers in the first place...ah well, welcome back.
zan.jpg
These two shared a deep bond...I envy them.
torian.jpg
Of that, I have no doubt.
zan.jpg
What is your tale, Quiet One?
torian.jpg
Mine is a tale older than your age, elf...Gilford found me, and freed me. Let's leave it at that.
zan.jpg
I see.

Later...at the Misk's Residence.

06.jpg

me.jpg
Hello, Ms. Misk. Have you a moment?
misk.jpg
Certainly.
me.jpg
I've found out who sold the information about Victor...
misk.jpg
You have? Who was it?
me.jpg
Who else? The butler did it...
misk.jpg
I see. *There is a great sadness in her eyes.* Well, I suppose you just never know about people. Even the ones closest to you. Perhaps there was some justice in his untimely death. Thank you for your help, sir...
me.jpg
What do you mean, his 'untimely death'?
misk.jpg
Haven't you heard? He was found in his home a few days ago, a knife buried in his heart. Perhaps there was something to that curse after all. Well, I thank you for your help in the matter, sir...
me.jpg
I'll be off then.
seb.jpg
Looks like he got what he deserved.
me.jpg
Yes...let's make our way to the Panarii Temple.

Later...outside the Temple.

Music: Haven

07.jpg

seb.jpg
Think we'll find some answers here?
me.jpg
Well, they ARE dedicated on Nasrudin and whole Living One prophecy, don't they? Let's go inside.
08.jpg

me.jpg
Ah..the Archaeon.
09.jpg

me.jpg
Mmm...Arronax is not the only ones banished there...
seb.jpg
What do you suppose happened to them all in the Void?
me.jpg
Who knows really? Maybe they went to different places in the Void and never met? There's the Mighty Gorgoth...
10.jpg

me.jpg
Kraka-tur....the Bane of Kree..and Kerghan the Terrible.
geoff.jpg
I've heard of that one..Kerghan was one of the Elven Council...dabbled in necromancy...too deep into it and was banished for it...
me.jpg
Best watch out, Geoffrey, or you're next...
geoff.jpg
Oh, really? I was about to say the same thing to you,...Quencher of Lives...
me.jpg
Heh,...well. These guys are banished before Arronax. Curious.
11.jpg

me.jpg
After a great battle to banish Arronax...Nasrudin was mortally wounded. Afterwards, he traveled to the southernmost tip of the island and there laid himself to rest.
virgil.jpg
The second last verse...The Prophecy of the Living One.
me.jpg
"And His spirit shall be reborn on wings of fire in hills shrouded in fog, and there he shall fight the final battle with the evil one."
seb.jpg
Unless we missed something, Arronax wasn't there last we visited Shrouded Hills.
me.jpg
Perhaps the priests might be able to assist us further...
virgil.jpg
I'll help you to explain the situation. Vouch for you. I'm sure Elder Joachim has sent word ahead of your arrival.
geoff.jpg
Oh please, there's no need for that...
12.jpg

virgil.jpg
I see. You finally did it?
me.jpg
What? What are you talking about?
alex.jpg
Do you have any idea what that means? It's you! You're the Living One! It's a miracle!
me.jpg
Let's not blow this out of proportion...
alex.jpg
Out of proportion? This is an astronomical event! The return of Nasrudin! The final battle! The end of all we know, and a new beginning! The most amazing....
me.jpg
Fine! I am the Living One! Do as I say, and shut up!
seb.jpg
*Chuckles.*
alex.jpg
Of course, of course...*He composes himself, but just barely.* Forgive my excitement, exalted one. We have waited for you for a long time...
me.jpg
Let's keep this between us for now.
alex.jpg
Of course! But you must listen to me...we were warned by the high priest to expect your arrival. And he told us to scorn you as an impostor. For some reason, he refuses to believe.
me.jpg
(That's odd.) I can understand his position...the whole thing is a bit odd..
alex.jpg
*Laughs.* There are times when all of us find it difficult to follow the path chosen for us. In the end...does it really matter if you were or you weren't? You seem intent on discovering what has happened, and already you and Arronax have crossed paths. If you thwart his plans, you will have played the ROLE of the Living One. Is there any difference in the end?
me.jpg
I suppose not. I just wish people would stop trying to kill me, though. For saving the world. Et cetera.
alex.jpg
I'm not worried. You've come this far..regardless of what you think, I feel that fate has chosen a worthy champion. Now, how can I be of further service?
me.jpg
Yes....(Time to draw upon the Panarii's resources.) What can I expect from the people around here?
alex.jpg
You should be very careful about who you reveal yourself to. If you speak with Hadrian the archeologist, you may not want to tell him - he's a great man of faith, but he is old; belief in him will come slowly. Gunther Willhelm is a brilliant man, and open to new ideas...I believe he will accept you immediately.
me.jpg
Thank you. I will remember that. I have some questions about Arronax.
alex.jpg
What would you like to know about Arronax?
me.jpg
Who was he?
alex.jpg
Arronax was an elf on the original Elven Council, during the Age of Legends. According to the histories, Arronax was a very evil elf...he had personal interests in gaining control of the council and using it for his own, dark ends. Arronax thought not that only should elves rule, but that they should subjugate the other races. Nasrudin came to our defense.
me.jpg
Tell me about the Council...
alex.jpg
The Elven Council was a group of elves who ruled Arcanum during the Age of Legends. It was made up of powerful elven mages..and their leader was Nasrudin. Together they oversaw the well-being of all the races. The council was disbanded soon after the death of Nasrudin. They felt that their time had passed - it was no for ANYONE to rule over all of the races.
me.jpg
Where is Arronax now? In the Void?
alex.jpg
Yes...he was banished by Nasrudin and the Council after a large battle near the Ring of Brodgar. Arronax had waged war against the Council...it is speculated that he had tried to wrest control of the council from Nasrudin. Nasrudin died from woudns he received in that battle.
me.jpg
And the Void? What is it?
alex.jpg
Well, my friend, that is an area of some debate. Many say that the Void is an actual place, a plane of existence where the evil pay for their transgressions for all of eternity. Others say that the Void is merely a state of unbeing...not a physical place. What is known that is that when someone is banished they are no longer here...and they cannot come back.
me.jpg
How is that any different from death? Why not simply kill him?
alex.jpg
Death, as proven through magick, is sometimes a temporary state - entities can be resurrected.
me.jpg
*Glances at Virgil.*
alex.jpg
There is no 'resurrection' from the Void. Banishment was a permanent solution, a punishment of the highest degree. It's never done anymore. There are those who believe the knowledge of how to do so has been lost forever.
me.jpg
(Well, they're dead wrong.) I've heard of the Prophecies of the Living One. Tell me about this...
alex.jpg
Ah, the return of both Arronax and Nasrudin...
me.jpg
And what do your prophecies say of this?
alex.jpg
This is what we call the 'Return of the Living One'. And I quote...'Nasrudin's pure spirit will be reborn on...'
me.jpg
The crashed remains of the IFS Zephyr...near Shrouded Hills. I know...hell, I EXPERIENCED that part. How does that make any sense?
alex.jpg
You see...the return of Nasrudin, who we will call 'The Living One', will be time of rejoicing, but also a time of darkness, as it heralds also the return of Arronax, 'the evil one.'
me.jpg
But you said he was banished...permanently.
alex.jpg
That is a subject of debate. Some believe that the 'return' of Arronax and Nasrudin, for that matter will be accomplished through reincarnation...the rebirth of their spirits, not their physical forms. Others believe that the whoe affair is merely symbolic...
me.jpg
*Glances aroudn the room and notices Geoffrey taking a nap while seated. Sebastian nodded and stifled a yawn.*
alex.jpg
....and representative of the conflict we are seeing today between magick and technology...
me.jpg
And what do YOU believe, Alexander?
alex.jpg
*He smiles.* Call me archaic, but I'm a firm believer in a literal translation of the scriptures. I believe that both of them will be embodied, and that a war will be waged here, in this existence. I, for one will be ready for that conflict.
me.jpg
*Gauges the warrior priest before him.* (He's not fucking around...) You said there are other scholars here in the First Temple of Panarii who knows more...where might I find them, Alexander?
alex.jpg
Each of them have office just through the doors behind me. When we're finished speaking, I will unlock the doors for you.
me.jpg
Well, I'm finished. May I see them?
alex.jpg
Of course!
me.jpg
Wake up, Geoffrey! *Shoves the necromancer's shoulder.*
geoff.jpg
Gah! Uh. FINE. Damned lectures...
me.jpg
Try to endure...we've more questions to ask.
13.jpg

me.jpg
Greetings. And who are you, sir?

The man in front of Gilford is very properly dressed - instead of robes he wears a finely-made suit. His features are delicate, but his eyes belie a strength of body and character, as well as harboring a fierce intellience. He regards Gilford, intensely.

gun.jpg
I am Willhelm. Gunther Willhelm.
me.jpg
A pleasure, sir. What exactly do you do, here?
gun.jpg
I am the church historian. I have a variety of responsibilities here, from translations to document restorations, as well as authentication of any literary finds. If it's written, and it has to do with the Panarii, it's my job to know about it. Does that answer your questions?
me.jpg
What are you currently working on?
gun.jpg
*He points towards some books on his desk. His movements are quick, and precise.* Currently, I am doing some research on older translations of the Archaeon...I have found some interesting discrepancies that I am looking into...
me.jpg
Discrepancies? What do you mean?
gun.jpg
There are a few differences in some of the passages that I've found in this earlier copy. I'll give you an example - the Arcaheon we read today refers to our order as the 'Panarii'. The word Panarii in the old tongue, means 'light-servant' or 'follower'. But in this older copy I'm studying, we are referred to as the 'Pan-R'nes', which means 'defenders of the gate'. Very odd...
me.jpg
(Could it be that the Panarii was supposedly created to protect the magical wards at the Ring of Brodgar?) Interesting. Was there anything else, Gunther?
gun.jpg
A few minor things...I'm still working on the translations. Perhaps it's something we can speak of later...
me.jpg
There's a statue in the courtyard...who is that?
gun.jpg
That statue is of Saint Mannox...one of the early Elders of the church.
me.jpg
Why was he made a saint?
gun.jpg
Saint Mannox was the only person - REPUTEDLY - to have 'ascended'. That is, the spirit of Nasrudin appeared and took his body directly from this plane of existence to the next.
me.jpg
You say 'reputedly', Gunther. Do you not believe?
gun.jpg
*He smiles.* There is no doubt in my mind that Mannox was a very holy man. My belief in an inconclusive set of circumstances does not invalidate that fact, regardless of how that might reflect on my own faith.
me.jpg
Surely there must be eyewitnesses to the event?
gun.jpg
There were two, actually. One was an elf named R'aan-Dar, and the other...what was his name...K'an Hua.

Music: Dungeon

me.jpg
....wait... Did you say, K'an Hua?
gun.jpg
Yes..their accounts of the incident were almost exactly the same, and both were beautifully written...
seb.jpg
*Whispers.* Hey, Gilford, want me to snoop around?
me.jpg
No..not yet..it could be a mistake..just a coincidence.
zan.jpg
But what if it's true?
me.jpg
No,..not enough evidence. *Turns towards Gunther.* What else can you tell me of Saint Mannox, Gunther?
gun.jpg
Almost all of the records concerning the life of the Great Saint have been lost over the years...very little is known about him, or what he did before he was...ahem...taken. *Smirks slightly* Of course, there are the usual insubstantial accounts of miracles. *He seems to remember himself, straightening.* And, of course, there's Alexander...
me.jpg
Alexander? What does Alexander have to do with this?
gun.jpg
You haven't heard? He almost never speaks of it...the man has enough humility for all of us. Alexander is a direct descendant of Mannox...his family has held the position of First Acolyte for the last 1500 years...
me.jpg
That's quite a legacy...
gun.jpg
Yes, it is. And there's no better man to bear it - Alexander is a saint in his own right. There are few men I respect, my friend. Alexander is a noble soul...do you know anything of him?
me.jpg
Only bits and pieces..we've only met. Tell me more..
gun.jpg
Alexander hasn't always been with us here at the Temple. You see the First Acolyte's role, in any Panarii temple, is as spiritual leader AND war-lord. Symbolically, he is to assume these roles just as Nasrudin did, so many years ago. Most Acolytes go into this very lightly...they might entreat the local constabulary to train them in basic combat techniques. Not so, Alexander...
me.jpg
What did he do?
gun.jpg
He left us for 10 years, and studied with some of the most feared and respected masters in several combat disciplines. For his pilgrimage, he traveled to the Vendigroth Wastes and lived there, alone, until he thought himself ready to assume his post. If you know nothing of the Wastes, know this. There's no more terrible place in all of Arcanum...
me.jpg
Truly, he is a skilled warrior...
gun.jpg
There's not a more dangerous man in all of Caladon. And he's very well-versed in two or three of the magick colleges as well, as are all of us who are Panarii elders. The Temple hasn't been in safer hands since it was in those of the Great Saint himself...
me.jpg
Indeed. I've heard that this temple is Nasrudin's final resting place...what do you know about his remains?
gun.jpg
Me? I know very little about them, save for the documents we have associated with their discovery, and few research documents about the sarcophagus itself. Hadrian, the archaeologist, would have more information about the specifics...
me.jpg
Do you think that they are authentic?
gun.jpg
*He lowers his voice.* To tell you the truth, I really don't know. I've done a lot of research into the engravings on the sarcophagus...everything seems to be in order...it just seems to me that it's all very convenient. I mean, who buried him? We have no records of that. There's no doubt that an elf of his stature would have been given an elaborate burial, but who did it? We don't know...
me.jpg
Doesn't the church records made mention of who made the discovery?
gun.jpg
Yes...let me see..*He pulls a weathered tome from the shelf.* Ah...here we are...the elf's name was....K'an Hua...
zan.jpg
*Whispers* Deny it if you wish, Gilford...but I can sense deception here.
geoff.jpg
Blah blah blah blah. Are we done yet?
me.jpg
*Nods.* Gunther, wasn't the person who witnessed the ascension named K'an Hua?
gun.jpg
Why, yes...it's at least the same name. Let me look at the years..the discovery of the remains happened within a few years of the ascension of Saint Mannox. I never realized that, but you're correct. That very well might have been the same person.
seb.jpg
We're in the spider's web, aren't we?
virgil.jpg
No. We must remain calm and bring the truth to light...you are the Living One. I believe in that.
me.jpg
Gunther, don't you find it strange? Perhaps a little convenient?
gun.jpg
You're very curious about this whole affair, my friend. What is your real interested in this?
me.jpg
I...oh hells, I am the Living One. K'an Hua...as this letter I've discovered off a Dark Elf plot may be involved in a larger conspiracy to affect the return of Arronax to this world...
gun.jpg
I see. *He studies Gilford a moment, calculating.* You're telling me that YOU are the sole survivor of the IFS Zephyr blimp crash?
me.jpg
Yes.

Gunther is silent for a long while. Then a slight smile comes over his face, and he takes Gilford's hand in his.

gun.jpg
I was wondering when you were going to tell me. I've been looking for you for a long time, you know. The rumors abound, and we'd heard you might come calling. I'm so very glad you've decided to put your trust in me.
me.jpg
Thank you, Gunther. I really need to see those remains.
gun.jpg
Listen, my friend. Not everyone here is sympathetic to your cause. Hadrian the archaeologist is the one who you need to speak with, but be very careful..he's an old and loyal friend, but belief in you will come slowly for him. He will be the best source of information regarding the remains and how you might see them, but tread lightly...subterfuge might be necessary...
me.jpg
I'll remember that, Gunther. Thank you for your help.
gun.jpg
No...thank you, my friend. Return here when you've seen the remains and tell me what you find...I may be able to help you once you know what it is you're looking for....
me.jpg
I will, Gunther. Good bye.

Gilford calms himself before entering the archeologist's office. He reminded himself again not to give himself away to Hadrian. He will not trust the Living One easily. He turns the door handle slowly and entered. The man in front Gilford is a wizened old gnome, with wildish gray hair and beard three days grown. He looks up at Gilford, three display cases stood behind him with curious trinket on each one.

14.jpg

me.jpg
Hello. And who might you be?
had.jpg
Call me Hadrian! Acolyte of the Panarii, and the local expert on church archaeology. How might i help you today?
me.jpg
Greetings, I'm Alain Gilford. Might I speak with you a moment?
had.jpg
Certainly...
me.jpg
Tell me about some of the objects you have here...
had.jpg
Which one would you like to know about?
me.jpg
What is that? A skeleton's finger?
had.jpg
Yes..that is the Finger of Saint Mannox...
me.jpg
His finger? Why is that here?
had.jpg
Legend tells of a time when Saint Mannox had been captured by barbarians...they were plundering the surrounding countryside, and were holding Mannox for ransom. He told his people to refuse, so the barbarians threatened to cut off one of his fingers if he didn't comply. Mannox calmly picked up a knife, told them there would be no ransom, and cut it off himself.
me.jpg
Sounds like a hard man. What is the glass device?
had.jpg
We don't have any idea what that is ...it sure is pretty, though, eh?
me.jpg
Uh...I guess..what about the black gem?
had.jpg
That is the eye of Kraka-tur...
me.jpg
Really? What a terrible name.. It's a beautiful stone...
had.jpg
No...I mean it's REALLY the eye of Kraka-tur! When the council was banishing him, he put up quite a struggle. Somehow the monster's eye got put out, and someone found it as they were cleaning up. Dreadful creature, Kraka-tur was. If you ask Alexander about who's been banished over the year's, he'll tell you the story...
me.jpg
Mmm. That's enough of your exhibits, what do you know of the remains of Nasrudin? Have you seen them?
had.jpg
*His brow furrows* No, and I'd do anything to see those old bones of his! There are so many questions I could answer if I could only have a look at them! When he died, how he died...I want to know if his skeletal structure is the same as common elves, or if his prolonged use of powerful magics changed somehow...so many questions! And I've never been able to see them.
me.jpg
Why, Hadrian? You're the church archaeologist. Surely you..
had.jpg
Yes, you'd think so, wouldn't you, young man? *He raises from his seat, gesticulating to and fro...* I mean, when the elders need someone to go digging in the dank caverns of the Bangellian Deeps, who do they call upon? Or if some poor fool comes across a tomb sealed with a Gorgothian blood-curse? Ring the bell for Old Hadrian!
me.jpg
But why won't they let you see the remains, Hadrian?
had.jpg
I've no idea! *He throws his hands in the air, upending a stack of paper and what looks like to be a cup of dark ale.*
seb.jpg
Looks like you hit the soft spot...
had.jpg
They speak of desecration and sacrilege, but...*He lowers his voice and leans closer*...the man is DEAD. D-E-A-D. I respect and cherish Nasrudin and what he taught us more than anyone, but I hardly think he'd be upset if I chipped a piece of bone from his earthly shell...
me.jpg
I see your point. I, myself, would love to take a look at them..
had.jpg
Really? *His face brightens* Are you a fellow arcahelogist, my friend?
virgil.jpg
Elder...this here is..the Liv - Mmmph
seb.jpg
Hush, Virgil. Don't ruin it.
me.jpg
Uh...yes. Yes I am. Strictly freelance, of course...
had.jpg
Y-y-e-s-s...

He considers Gilford for a moment, measuring the words.

had.jpg
You do seem have that particular look about you. Probably a little dirt under those fingernails, he?
geoff.jpg
Why, he dug lots of graves recently...
had.jpg
Well met! And what interest do you have in the remains of Nasrudin?
me.jpg
Uh..I'm thinking of converting, but I need a little proof...
had.jpg
*He winks.* I understand, my friend. Faith is a wonderful thing...especially when backed up by some good, hard evidence. *He laughs, rummaging around his desk.* I've made a few notes over the years about the sarcophagus...here we are...
me.jpg
What do you know, Hadrian?
had.jpg
Let's see...Standard information. The stone is of the local area, there are elven characters naming it as the final resting place of Nasrudin...the designs is Old Elven, consistent with the latter end of the Age of Legends..rune work is exquisite, although perhaps a bit overdone, in my opinion. Of course, I'm more of a conservative.
me.jpg
But you've never seen inside. Has anyone?
had.jpg
As far as I know, no one has ever broken the seal on the sarcophagus.
me.jpg
Interesting. I'd REALLY like to see what's in there, Hadrian...
had.jpg
*He leans closer, indicating Gilford to do the same.* Just how much do you want to see them, my friend?
me.jpg
VERY much.
had.jpg
I see. *He looks around furtively.* Look, I'm an important member of the church...my face is well-known. I can't exactly be running around and defacing sacred church artifacts. *He laughs.* But were I to have an accomplice, we might be able to get in and get out without anyone being the wiser...
me.jpg
I'm listening..
had.jpg
The tomb lies within the old catacombs, and the entrance to the burial room is well-guarded. BUT! About a year ago I was perusing the pages of one of our ancient texts, and within its pages I found an old illustration of the catacombs, drawn by the first keeper of the crypt, apprarently for his own use in navigating them...
me.jpg
What does it show, Hadrian?
had.jpg
All of the connecting passages into the burial room were walled off after the discovery. All except for one! There is a passageway which comes up through the floor, and it's so well hidden in the stonework that it's been missed all these years! I've shared this information with no one...you and I are the only living souls who know of its existence...
me.jpg
Fascinating. I see your plan..
had.jpg
Good. Here's what's need to be done. Enter the sewers through the grating just in front of the Temple...when you've entered, you will be in a small room. There is a crack in the wall...it leads to the old catacombs beneath the temple. Enter..
15.jpg

16.jpg

me.jpg
And then?
had.jpg
You will find yourself in a passageway..when it comes to an end, you will see a door in the wall.
17.jpg

had.jpg
Speak the word 'Crimstone' to it, and it will open for you...
18.jpg

had.jpg
Through that door is a passage that leads to a staircase. That staircase leads to the tomb of Nasrudin.
19.jpg

had.jpg
Return to me with whatever you find. If possible, bring me a piece of the skeleton...I'd enjoy being to finally get a look at it. Together, we'll see what old Nasrudin has to tell us...
20.jpg

me.jpg
Thank you, Hadrian. I will return soon...Gentlemen...let's reaffirm our faiths...
geoff.jpg
100 gold that it's just bones inside.
me.jpg
You weren't listening were you? Ah, never mind. Torian, give me a hand.

The heavy lid yielded to the mighty warrior of Derian-Ka...dust flew as it creaked open, exposing the skeleton within.

21.jpg

zan.jpg
Something's wrong.
me.jpg
What is it?
zan.jpg
*Points towards the skeleton's right arm.*
seb.jpg
Hells' bells! She's right...Gilford...
22.jpg

virgil.jpg
No...*He collapses to his knees.* How can this be?
geoff.jpg
Can someone tell me what's going on?

The skeleton is missing its right finger.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom