Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum - Summoner: Goodbye, Arcanum?

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
RK47 said:
Time to reinstall and restart. Update in 2 weeks. :lol:

ohhhh noooooo

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Clockwork Knight said:
I guess that if you don't use the blade, you have to fight the big, bad, red demon?

I'm not sure if the killing blow is done without the blade, the demon would be free...I'm not sure if killing the demon would complete or fail the quest. I suppose I could reload at earlier save and see what happens.

Kz3r0

Arcane
RK47 said:
Clockwork Knight said:
I guess that if you don't use the blade, you have to fight the big, bad, red demon?

I'm not sure if the killing blow is done without the blade, the demon would be free...I'm not sure if killing the demon would complete or fail the quest. I suppose I could reload at earlier save and see what happens.
I don't think you can attack it, but I can be wrong.

friartucksduck

Educated
RK47 said:
egon.jpg

seb.jpg
geoff.jpg
*Golf claps.*

me.jpg
Shit happens.

Classic. :bro:

RK47

Patron
Thanks for the support guys, I've done the rerun and discovered that the much rumored 'name tied to loot generation' is true. I looted the same items from that chest behind the demon elf! :lol:

Update in two days :smug:

RK47

Patron
me.jpg
Yes, Seb. For the last time, I'm sure about this.
seb.jpg
It's your choice. Let's do this, then.

The party enters The Tarantian's office in Caladon.

02.jpg

me.jpg
I have evidence of a conspiracy you may be interested in.
sam.jpg
*A look of suspicion crosses his face* What do you mean, conspiracy? Is this some type of jest?
me.jpg
The Industrial Council has been illegally breeding half ogres!
sam.jpg
Let's say I was interested in this story...I would need proof.
me.jpg
It's all right here. *Shows Sam the journal.*
sam.jpg
By the gods! This is astounding! I can make my reputation with a story like this...if you leave this with me. I'll print it in its entirety. It will be the story of the century!
me.jpg
Okay, do it.
sam.jpg
*Looks through the book* I cannot believe this! This is what I have been waiting for. I'll write this up now to get it in tomorrow's paper.
me.jpg
Good day.
seb.jpg
He seems too...enthusiastic.
me.jpg
We'll see the papers tomorrow. Let's get a room. We need somewhere to crash till midnight.
seb.jpg
Ah, the Misk's grave?
me.jpg
Yeah.

Later...

03.jpg

me.jpg
I'll catch some sleep, wake me up near midnight.
seb.jpg
Fine, I've some business in town.
me.jpg
Stay safe.
seb.jpg
No problem.

Hours later...

04.jpg

It was extremely hot. The smell of burning oil mingle with charred flesh...

seb.jpg
Hey! Wake up!
me.jpg
Uh! *Wakes.* Is it time?

05.jpg

seb.jpg
What do you think? We've got a grave to rob! *Tosses a shovel.*

A short walk later...

06.jpg

me.jpg
Mmmm. Let's see....
07.jpg

me.jpg
Aha! *Flips through the book*
seb.jpg
That was TOO easy.
me.jpg
*Closes the book.* You're right.
seb.jpg
*Frowns.* Not what we're looking for?
me.jpg
*Hands book over to Sebastian.*

08.jpg

09.jpg

seb.jpg
Bah! Could be a dead end...or not.
me.jpg
Where is this 'Roseborough?'
virgil.jpg
Uh...that name...seems to be familiar somehow. But...I'm not so sure.
me.jpg
Maybe the widow knows more...let's visit her in the morning...
seb.jpg
You still want to catch some sleep?
me.jpg
Nah..let's crash at the pub.

A few drinks later and a local piped up a rumor...

10.jpg

me.jpg
Mmmm. Might be worthwhile to investigate...
virgil.jpg
Sigh. Why should...ahh..never mind.
me.jpg
Right, let's go.

Later at the outskirts of Caladon....

me.jpg
Look over there!
seb.jpg
What the hell is that?

A shadowy figure tore at a small furry creature...beast-like in nature.

11.jpg

geoff.jpg
Amusing. A real werewolf?
seb.jpg
I've got it in my sights! Kill it?
me.jpg
No wait...it stopped. It's...

12.jpg

seb.jpg
The hell?!
me.jpg
Let's go!

13.jpg

The party rushed into the house only to find the beast missing, only a lone woman lying on the bed, fast asleep.

me.jpg
Hmmm. Seb?
seb.jpg
Don't ask me...I'm no mage.
geoff.jpg
It's ...possible that SHE'S the werewolf.
me.jpg
Let's not jump to conclusions.
torian.jpg
There can be no other explanation...the beast cannot possibly vanish without a trace.
dog.jpg
*Growls.*
me.jpg
Wait...there's someone in the next room...

14.jpg

me.jpg
What do you grow here?
david.jpg
Heh. I don't actually grow anything. This is a fur farm..I raise rabbits. My furs are considered the softest, finest quality pelts in all the land. You'll find my products in all sorts of finery...in the trim of a lady's ball gown, lining the inside of a gentleman's winter cloak, even swaddling the newly born nobility.
me.jpg
Sounds as if you do quite well for yourself.
david.jpg
Yeah...I've done all right for my daughter and myself. At least... I was...
me.jpg
Was? What happened?
david.jpg
Something very strange has been happening lately. Every night, one of my rabbits is killed and partially devoured. The signs indicate a large beast of some sort, but no one else in the area is being bothered or has seen anything strange. If you're available, I'd really appreciate some help figuring it out.
me.jpg
I'll try. How long has this been going on for?
david.jpg
The killings have been happening for nearly a full lunar turn. If things keep up at this rate, I'll be ruined within another 2! Rabbits breed quickly...but not that quickly!
me.jpg
What about a dog? Or perhaps a wolf?
david.jpg
No..there aren't any wolves around for miles. I don't own a dog..tried that before, too much trouble keeping them from scaring the rabbits..I never had one that ate them though...
me.jpg
Puzzling. Is there anyone else I can speak to?
david.jpg
My daughter lives with me. You can talk to her, if you'd like. She's been missing a lot of nights..Suspect she's sneaking out to see her betrothed. *Winks.* Ahh..to be young again...
me.jpg
Let me talk to her. I'll see if I can find out anything else. Maybe in the morning, when she's awake.

They left the house and continue to explore the outskirts...

me.jpg
Hmm. It's highly possible that his daughter IS the werewolf. But it's best I confirm it again...Don't want to kill the wrong person.
seb.jpg
Yeah. I doubt David wants it dead if that creature turns out to be her own daughter.
me.jpg
Yep...hmm. What's this building?
seb.jpg
Looks like a factory...but looks...trashed.

15.jpg

The factory's door opened with a creak.

me.jpg
Hello? Anyone here?
max.jpg
Over here...Hey, wait a minute...

16.jpg

me.jpg
What's your name, sir?
max.jpg
I am Hieronymus Maxim, inventor of the mechanized gun and the recently absconded aeroplane, a heavier than air flying machine. *He appears distracted for a moment, and then thrust his hand toward Gilford.* Oh, you'll have to excuse my absentmindedness, I was just admiring the ruins of my life.
me.jpg
What happened here?
max.jpg
Damned imbecilic ogres stole my flying machine prototypes and burned down my factory. And just to add that little extra joy to the whole affair, they beat me senseless as well. Now the King's advisors say I am a fraud, that heavier than air flight is impossible. They say I staged the whole thing to cover my failure. Without proof, my days here are done.
me.jpg
Well, I saw your machines fly.
max.jpg
You did? Where?! Where are my aeroplanes?!
me.jpg
The ogres crashed them after shooting down the Zephyr.
max.jpg
Those stupid, inbred, ignorant beasts! They wrecked my master pieces! And for what, to kill innocent people?! The bastards!
me.jpg
Would my testimony help?
max.jpg
I'm sorry to say, I fear your word would not be enough. I need tangile evidence that cannot be refuted.
me.jpg
Why don't you simply build another one?
max.jpg
No money. This was all funded by the King. That is why his advisors are after my head, and I can't get any more funds without proof. Quite the vicious circle, it is.
me.jpg
What type of proof do you need?
max.jpg
Anything that would prove they were capable of flight.
virgil.jpg
Sir, ...if you recall..you DID sold that camera in Shrouded Hills..
me.jpg
Mmmm. Thanks, Virgil. Max, let's say I found proof for you. What would that be worth?
max.jpg
I could give you an experimental mechanized arachnid I've been developing. Quite handy to have around in a scuffle, it will heal you automatically...
me.jpg
Hmm. Fine. We'll start looking.

Later in the morning....

17.jpg

me.jpg
Hello. May I ask your name?
cyn.jpg
My name is Cynthia. Can I help you with something?
me.jpg
I'd like to talk to you about the rabbit slayings...
cyn.jpg
Oh, it is awful! The poor things! Devoured at night by some horrible beasts!
geoff.jpg
As opposed to being stripped of its fur by your dad and worn as slippers...*Rolls eyes.*
me.jpg
Geoffrey! Ahem. How do you know it is a horrible beast?
cyn.jpg
Well, I don't know for certain. It is just that I have these nightmares about it every night...I dream some horrific beast attacks and devours one of my rabbits. And every morning I awaken to find it is true. *Sobs.* Please! Help us find what is doing this!
seb.jpg
Those vivid dreams may be a part of her memory as the beast...
me.jpg
Yes, yes, Seb, I'm not clueless. Cynthia, have you seen anything...Perhaps as you return from your tryst?
cyn.jpg
*Blushes.* Oh! No...is that what father told you? I was seeing my betrothed for a time...but I have been so exhausted lately, I have not been awakening to make our rendezvous.
me.jpg
Exhausted? But why?
geoff.jpg
Mmmm. *Looks up Cynthia up and down.* I could think of several reasons.
me.jpg
*Elbows Geoffrey.*
cyn.jpg
I am very distressed by what is happening to my rabbits. As soon as the sun sets, I come to my room and fall into such a sound sleep, I do not awaken until it is morning. But I always awaken from the nightmare...and when I check on the rabbits..another has been killed.
me.jpg
Hmmm...it is very puzzling...no one has seen this beast...
cyn.jpg
I have tried to stay awake and keep watch, but have been unable to. I pray you are successful in solving the mystery! I do not want my father to lose the farm.
me.jpg
I'll keep looking for clues. Thank you for your help Cynthia.

Gilford steps out of Cynthia's room and into the living room where David is standing.

me.jpg
David, I've figured out what's killing your rabbits.
david.jpg
You did? What? What was it?
me.jpg
I'm afraid it's your daughter...
david.jpg
My daughter?! What are you talking about mister?
me.jpg
I'm sorry to have to tell you this..but she's become a werewolf.
david.jpg
Oh no! Not my baby! It can't be! What are we to do?
me.jpg
We will probably have to kill her...
david.jpg
No! Don't hurt her! She's all I have left in the world, since her mother's death...Please! You're a traveler...perhaps you have heard of a cure?
me.jpg
No...I've not...
david.jpg
Please, sir...in your travels if you happen to find a cure, think of us. I've heard there are astounding cures in the great mage city of Tulla. Perhaps if you look there...but don't hurt her! I'll make sure she's locked up at night! I swear I will! She won't hurt anyone!
me.jpg
Calm yourself. I won't hurt her. If I ever find a cure, I will return with it...
seb.jpg
Pity, I've been itching to try my new gun.
me.jpg
What the hell?
18.jpg

me.jpg
Where the fuck did you get that gun?
seb.jpg
Heh, Captain Wheeler's mailed it over last night. Six chamber shots per second. This bitch's a mean one. Eat bullets and shits out death. She's my new love.
me.jpg
Whatever. Let's ask the Widow Misk about Roseborough...

Later...

19.jpg

me.jpg
Well. That's one last lead we should pursue...
seb.jpg
Not so fast. Remember the Tarantian?
me.jpg
What of it?
seb.jpg
Read today's papers yet?
me.jpg
No.
seb.jpg
They didn't publish your story.
me.jpg
WHAT?

They rushed to the Tarantian office...

20.jpg

me.jpg
Who are you? Where's Sam Longwell?
james.jpg
Who? My name's James Legget, I work here. I'm afraid I don't know any Sam Longwell.
me.jpg
He was working here. I spoke to him..he said he was a reporter?
james.jpg
I'm the only reporter who works out of this office. Local Caladonian reporter for the Tarantian, for what, twenty years now? Wait a moment, when did you say you spoke to this fellow?
me.jpg
Yesterday!
james.jpg
*Hits his palm with his fist* What is going on around here?! I was sent on a wild goose chase that day, tracking down a mysterious anonymous tip that was wired here. Someone is playing us for fools, boy?
me.jpg
So the guy I told my story to wasn't a reporter?
james.jpg
As I said, I'm the only reporter that works out of this office. What's your story, perhaps I'd be interested in it, myself.
me.jpg
The Industrial Council is breeding half ogres...
james.jpg
Heh. That's...well, I've heard some outlandish tales in my day, but that is just about the wildest.
me.jpg
It's true, I tell you!
seb.jpg
Let it go, boss.
james.jpg
I'm sure it is. *He smiles in a way that tell you he sure it isn't.* I need to get back to work now. If you'll excuse me...
me.jpg
...why you...
seb.jpg
Look, I know you're mad, but murdering a journalist in Caladon is only going to complicate things. Let's leave. We've lost this one...no sense in pursuing it further.
me.jpg
Fine. Let's go to Roseborough...

21.jpg

me.jpg
Well here we are...kinda late. Let's find an inn.
virgil.jpg
Sir, look at this!
me.jpg
What is it?
22.jpg

virgil.jpg
Roseborough Inn! Remember the matchbook we collected from that dead dwarf at the crash site? *Holds up the matchbox.*
me.jpg
Mmmm. You're right. There must be some leads...
seb.jpg
I'd like to look around a bit. This place looks like some kind of tourist retreat.
geoff.jpg
Eh, the Ring of Brodgar? The site of that famous battle?
me.jpg
There's a monument of some sort here...

23.jpg

me.jpg
"This stone was found in the middle of the Ring of Brodgar. The meaning of the markings on its face are unknown.."
24.jpg

me.jpg
Looks like directions...
seb.jpg
Buried treasure?
me.jpg
Beats me. Let's get a room and ask around.
25.jpg

me.jpg
Could you answer someq uestions for me about this matchbook?
innkeep.jpg
Matchbook? *Looks at it* Yes..this is one of our matchbooks. What question do you have about it, sir?
me.jpg
I found it on a dead man at the IFS Zephyr crash. Did you know him?
innkeep.jpg
No..I did not know anyone...Wait! Yes..yes. There was one person who it could have been.
me.jpg
Who?
innkeep.jpg
Well. It is the strangest tale really. Late one night, I noticed all manner of strange light and sound emanating from the Ring. Not long after the ruckus had ceased, a haggard and disheveled man arrived here, inquiring about a room for the night. The poor fellow looked quite a fright.
me.jpg
Really? What was so strange about him?
innkeep.jpg
He had quite an odd look about him, gaunt, clean shaven, but with the features and clothing of a dwarf... Yet, he could not possibly have been a dwarf! No dwarf I have ever heard of would sacrifice his beard to the knife. Even today I cannot say I truly knew his race.
me.jpg
Was there anything else?
innkeep.jpg
He had no coin about him. ..I was about to turn him away, when he offered me an exceptionally fine dwarven blade as compensation. A beautiful piece it was, inscribed with the initial BMC. It fetched quite a price when I sold it.
me.jpg
(Damn it! That's him! Stennar!) Did he say anything to you?
innkeep.jpg
The only other inquiry he made of me was for the quickest route to Tarant. I told him that this was normally a lengthy journey, but that he was in luck! The maiden voyage of the IFS Zephyr would be leaving from Caladon shortly. It was surely to be the quickest way to Tarant.
me.jpg
It was not luck that brought people aboard that doomed ship...
innkeep.jpg
Yes..the Zephyr was such an incredible tragedy. Oh yes...I let him know that he would need proper identification to board. He looked the type to be lacking such, so I referred him to a man I had heard of in Caladon, Mr. Razzia, rather a shady character, but helpful when it comes to passports...
me.jpg
(Razzia! Caladon's Underground fence!) So what happens next?
innkeep.jpg
He thanked me and went to his room. When I awoke the next morn, he was gone. He did not say a word...just left. Oh, well, I told you he was a strange one. Anyway, that is the only person I know that would have been on that accursed flight.
me.jpg
Thank you, milady. I would like a room please. *Hands over the coins.*
innkeep.jpg
Thank you sir! You will find your room just down the hall. The door will be unlocked. I do hope you enjoy your stay.
me.jpg
Thank you.
seb.jpg
You go get some rest, I'll find out more about this Ring and any leads to Victor Misk.
me.jpg
Alright. Be careful.

Gilford found his room and lay down for the night. It's been a long journey...but Stennar's point of origin is finally found. The Ring of Brodgar. Where did he escape from...and what is the mystery behind the Ring of Brodgar? Look forward to the next update!

28.jpg

friartucksduck

Educated
Sterling work, and earlier than anyone has any right to expect, as usual. :salute:
RK47 said:
I'm the only reporter who works out of this office. Local Caladonian reporter for the Caladonian, for what, twenty years now?
Or the Tarantian. Whichever.

RK47 said:
Gilford found his room and lay down for the night. It's been a long journey...but Stennar's point of origin is finally found. The Ring of Brodgar. Where did he escape from...and what is the mystery behind the Ring of Brodgar? Look forward to the next update!
Same bat time, same bat channel?

Thanks for your commitment. You're making an exhausted teacher's evenings a lot more fun.

RK47

Patron
friartucksduck said:
Sterling work, and earlier than anyone has any right to expect, as usual. :salute:
RK47 said:
I'm the only reporter who works out of this office. Local Caladonian reporter for the Caladonian, for what, twenty years now?
Or the Tarantian. Whichever.

RK47 said:
Same bat time, same bat channel?

Thanks for your commitment. You're making an exhausted teacher's evenings a lot more fun.

Corrected the mistake. Haha. Sorry. Must've been copy-typing it too quickly to notice.

RK47

Patron
Used the latest Drog patch. Which restores some 'content' that gun is one of them. As well as Axe of Lost Time (Hastes enemy randomly, very slow attack, yet highly damaging.) I also noticed some items icons are changed.

RK47

Patron
Morning came and the party had breakfast.

me.jpg
How goes your search last night?
seb.jpg
I'll tell you once we're outside. Before that, why don't you ask around about the Ring of Brodgar, I think you'll find it interesting...
me.jpg
Fine.

Wiping his mouth with the napkin, Gilford rose from his seat and approach a pair of elves at the lobby.

01.jpg

me.jpg
Hello sir. Might I ask your name?
elf1.jpg
Oh! Of course...of course... My name is Jason. Jason C. Guy, to be precise.
me.jpg
(What an uncommon name for an...oh wait, he's a half elf.) What are you doing out here Jason?
elf1.jpg
Well my good man, I'm studying the Ring of Brodgar.
me.jpg
Fascinating. Tell me more.
elf1.jpg
I have always been fascinated with the Ring of Brodgar. It is strange...the histories always mention the Black Spire synonymously with the Ring of Brodgar, but its meaning is lost in antiquity...perhaps it symbolizes the power of the wards...I do not know. I came here to study wards and to see how they are holding up.
me.jpg
Wards?
elf1.jpg
Yes. The Rift that Nasrudin created when banishing Arronax required all of the great mages from the Ages of Legends to set up powerful wards around the ring in order to keep the rift sealed.
me.jpg
(Wait...Stennar..escaped from the rift?) Why would they not be holding up?
elf1.jpg
Technology has spread throughout the land at an amazing pace. I feared that its propensity would have caused the wards to weaken. That is why I am here...to ascertain the strength of the wards.
me.jpg
(Oh, no...) What have you found?
elf1.jpg
The results of my studies are quite puzzling. As I suspected, the wards are weakening...But at a rate much more accelerated than I had originally calculated.
me.jpg
What happens if the wards fail?
elf1.jpg
I am sure the great mages placed such powerful wards in this place for a purpose...But many years have passed. That knowledge has been lost to us. I fear if they were to fail, something terrible would occur.
me.jpg
(Arronax.) That is very worrisome.
elf1.jpg
Is there anything else I can do for you Alain Gilford?
me.jpg
Do you feel magick or technology will ultimately prevail?
elf1.jpg
I have studied many things. I received technological training from the great university in Tarant. I have also studied magick i nthe wondrous city of Tulla. Through all of my learning, I have developed a theory.
me.jpg
What is it?
elf1.jpg
I believe that all things work in cycles. Everything natural goes through cycles of ebb and flow. I believe magick and technology are no different. There is only one major flaw with my theory.
me.jpg
What is that?
elf1.jpg
This appears to be the initial appearance of technology. There is no known history that advanced technology existed before now. As a result, I am unable to prove my theory.
me.jpg
Interesting. Have you searched for signs of such?
elf1.jpg
*Sighs* Extensively, and to no avail. Say! You are a traveler. If, in all of your travels, you come across any signs of ancient technology, I would greatly appreciate it if you would let me know. It would really help with my hypothesis.
me.jpg
I will let you know if I see any. *Turns to the other half elf.*

02.jpg

me.jpg
Hello, sir. What's your name?
elf2.jpg
The name's Trevor. Trevor Lynwood. I'm a journalist for the Tarantian.
me.jpg
The Tarantian! What are you doing here?
elf2.jpg
Yeah...I'm on assignment. Although it's not going so well...
me.jpg
What's the problem?
elf2.jpg
It's supposed to be simple. Take a picture, get back to Tarant as quick as I could. *Sarcastically* Nothing to it, right?
me.jpg
Sounds simple enough...Picture of what?
elf2.jpg
The elusive Lethe Wyvern...Ever heard of it?
me.jpg
No..What is it?
elf2.jpg
Well, legend describes it as a tremendous two legged dragon...Wings, claws, the whole bit. The difference with the Lethe I've read, is in its attack.
me.jpg
What's different about it?
elf2.jpg
Apparently, every time it strikes, it destroys a bit of its victim's memory...Some sort of venom or something. After enough attacks, the victim can't even remember how to flee and the Lethe's got itself an easy meal.
me.jpg
Sounds dangerous.
elf2.jpg
Yeah. From my research I've surmised that very few creatures ever survive an encounter with the Lethe. And those few that do, usually don't remember exactly what or who they escaped from.
me.jpg
I certainly don't see anything 'simple' about that assignment.
elf2.jpg
Well, I didn't really believe it. Thought it was all a hoax. I just came up here because my editor, Mr. Wright, wanted a hot story. He thought if we could get a picture of the wyvern, our sales would boom.
me.jpg
Turned out to be a hoax, huh?
elf2.jpg
*Turns pale.* No..that's just it. I've seen it! A truly horrible beast! I caught the merest glimpse...But that was all it took! It was gigantic! My heart froze...my skin began to crawl...I'd swear I even forgot which way I should run...
me.jpg
It sounds horrible...Didn't you get your photograph?
elf2.jpg
I couldn't even snap one shot off! I was that terrified! And I'm not going back....There's no way I'm going back! What am I to do? Mr. Wright will fire me for certain!
me.jpg
What if I took the photograph?
elf2.jpg
You? You would want to risk yourself to photograph this beast? Why would you do that?
me.jpg
There's a few hundred reasons...umm..I mean..gold.
elf2.jpg
Uh...but of course..I'm being paid 500 coin for the shot. But, I've spent part of that in supplies so far. I wouldn't be able to pay any more than 300.
me.jpg
I think it's worth far more than that...
elf2.jpg
Yes. I definitely agree it's worth more than that. Hmmmm...you know, you would be saving my career. I could throw in some of my own coin for that cause. If you'd do it...I'd pay you the full 500. What do you say?
me.jpg
It's a deal. What do I need to do?
elf2.jpg
Here, take this camera. All you need to do is get within visual range of the Lethe, then use the camera on it. After that, run like the wind!
seb.jpg
I think we'd prefer to kill it. *Polishes his gun.*
elf2.jpg
Fine. Here, I'll mark your map with the location. One more thing...I have heard rumors that an old bridge exists somewhere near that location. I did not have a chance to look for it, but it may be of interest to you.
me.jpg
Yes, that might be helpful. Thanks, Trevor. I'll get that photograph for you in no time!
seb.jpg
Sounds like a hoax, but that bridge could prove useful if we want to save time traveling northwards...
me.jpg
And some coin, too. Let's go.

03.jpg

me.jpg
Well, we're outside. What have you got for me?
seb.jpg
I found Old Misk's grave.
me.jpg
Mmm. Let's go.
04.jpg

me.jpg
Let's dig in!
05.jpg

me.jpg
That's it! *Grabs the book and flips through it!*
06.jpg

me.jpg
It's the real deal! There's a map to Tsen'Ang! *Flips the page.*
seb.jpg
*Smacks fist onto his palm* Right! I'm itching to shoot some of those darkies.
07.jpg

me.jpg
*Yawn.* Maybe it's not worth reading...*Flips the page.*
08.jpg

me.jpg
Oh, Renford. Why the curiosity? *Flips to next page.*
09.jpg

seb.jpg
You look bored. Perhaps it's better if we just head straight there?
me.jpg
Hmph. Can skip a few paragraphs..*Flips page.*
10.jpg

me.jpg
*Pauses.* I'm sorry, Renford. *Flips to next page.*
11.jpg

me.jpg
Renford, you fool. *Flips to next page.*
12.jpg

me.jpg
... *Flips to the next page.*
13.jpg

me.jpg
Poor bastard. *Flips to the next page.*
14.jpg

15.jpg

me.jpg
*Closes book.* Don't worry, Renford. Your journey was not in vain...
seb.jpg
All done?
me.jpg
Yes. Show me the Ring of Brodgar.

Later...

16.jpg

virgil.jpg
So this is where the great Nasrudin stopped Arronax...
geoff.jpg
Doesn't look like he escaped yet...
me.jpg
This Ring is a prison, isn't it?
seb.jpg
If what that Half-elf said was true, then yes.
me.jpg
So suppose the Dark Elves wanted to free Arronax...how would they accomplish it?
geoff.jpg
I seem to recall something about the wards being weakened by technology...
me.jpg
Technology..I see no signs of technology here...but...By the Gods! That's it!
seb.jpg
The dwarf?
me.jpg
Exactly! The Black Mountain Clan! The Dark Elves must've taken them into the Void and put them to work in weakening the wards with their technological inventions. Stennar must've escaped..and the Molochean Hand was hired to hunt him down!
seb.jpg
That is quite logical, but how do we stop it? Or rescue the dwarves?
me.jpg
I...I don't know. We need to...
torian.jpg
Travel into the Void?
geoff.jpg
That...would prove most interesting.
me.jpg
Whatever it is, we need to head to Tsen'Ang to follow the trail. Get some answers.
seb.jpg
*Pulls the lever on his machine gun.* Well, what are we waiting for then? Let's go! If that Wyvern Bridge shortcut is true, we can save many days of travel to Tsen'Ang!

17.jpg

Upon arrival, the party immediately spotted the Lethe Wyvern, a grey, massive winged beast. Quickly, Gilford snaps a shot with the camera.

18.jpg

The party promptly charged and killed it.

19.jpg

torian.jpg
I see the bridge to the north.

20.jpg

me.jpg
Great. Let's cross and head for Tsen' Ang!

21.jpg

Along the way...they encountered a strange hut...

22.jpg

23.jpg

me.jpg
What the hell?

24.jpg

seb.jpg
Look out! It's charging right at us! *Opens fire.*

25.jpg

Swarms of screaming apes descended upon the party...bullets flew and blades cut down the charging half ogre instantly.

me.jpg
Well...he brought it upon himself...let's go.

26.jpg

Many days later...the dreaded Tsen'Ang came into view.

seb.jpg
So what's the plan?
me.jpg
We'll improvise as we go along. Just don't draw any attention to ourselves.

27.jpg

me.jpg
I'm here to see M'in Gorad.
delf.jpg
You are aware of the procedure. Where is your amulet, Molochean?
me.jpg
(Too easy.) Virgil?
virgil.jpg
Ah! Yes, yes! Here it is! *Shows the amulet from his pack.*
delf.jpg
You may enter.

28.jpg

me.jpg
Phew. Got lucky.
seb.jpg
Let's get this thing over with quickly, I'm getting antsy...
me.jpg
Relax. I'll use my charming spell...that'll arouse less suspicions..
29.jpg

me.jpg
Where is everyone? Your village seems a bit...empty.
delf.jpg
*He looks at Alain suspiciously.* What is that information to you? And just who are you?
me.jpg
I am of the Molochean Hand, I suppose I was simply curious....
delf.jpg
Then you should know what we are trying to accomplish. It would be very difficult to achieve our goals were we to stay in our village, would it not? Besides, if the location of our village ever became known by our enemies, they would not hesitate to attack. It is best not congregate more than necessary, not only for our safety, but to assure our task is brought to completion.
me.jpg
Thank you for the information.
seb.jpg
Looks like something big is going on. Let's find this Min Gorad quickly...
me.jpg
Hmmm. That Dark Elf...seems...different. Excuse me...

30.jpg

me.jpg
I'm sorry, madam? Why do you say such things?
zan.jpg
Pitiful creature! Why are you wasting my time with your drivel! You're obviously not fit to speak with me...Begone!
me.jpg
(She seems very upset. But not at me...unlike other Dark Elves here, there's hardly anything sinister about her...) I think, perhaps, that you've made a hasty assessment, madam...
zan.jpg
*The Dark Elf woman seems a little surprised at her own words.* Perhaps you're right. I may have been a little hasty with my first impressions of you. Perhaps we might speak for a few moments...
me.jpg
I'm so very glad. Might I ask your name?
zan.jpg
I am Z'an Al'urin, warrior-priestess of the Dark Elves. *She gives Alain an uncertain look, calculating.* And who are you, stranger? You've never before seen the trees of T'sen-Ang...of that I am certain...
me.jpg
I am Alain Gilford.
zan.jpg
*She gives Alain an appraising nod.* Hmmm. Honesty. You surprise me. You take a large risk in exposing yourself to me...especially considering what you are...
me.jpg
And what exactly do you mean by that?
zan.jpg
I don't know exactly who you are, Alain Gilford, but I do know that you don't belong here. Sometimes...I...I see things that others cannot. I know that your road has been long, and that you're in grave danger by being here. *She gives Alain a hooded glance.* I suppose you could say that meeting me has increased that danger...
me.jpg
Really? For some reason I don't feel you pose a threat...
zan.jpg
*She gives Alain a long, hard look.* That still remains to be seen, Alain Gilford. But, unlike many of my brethren and sisters here, I am seeking answers to difficult questions. Blind devotion to a cause is the easiest path to take, and the most foolish. I wish to shed light on the path ahead, and choose the best way to travel. Those answers, I think, begin with you...
me.jpg
(Stay cool, Gilford.) Really? And why would you think that, Z'an Al'urin?
zan.jpg
I..I see things. When you walked into T'sen-Ang, I saw something around you...a great latticework of wood and iron, and it carried a great weight which weighed nothing at all. These are the visions I see, Gilford. What they mean, I don't always know, but I do know that YOU are somehow important to me...
geoff.jpg
*Whispers.* Such a strange way of flirting. Must be a dark elf thing.*
me.jpg
Why? What answers are YOU seeking, Z'an Al'urin?
zan.jpg
*She is silent for a while, considering you with her dark eyes. Then...* What do you know of the Dark Elves, Alain Gilford? Do you know the difference between us and our cousins in Qintarra?
me.jpg
Yes, I know of the philosophical differences...
zan.jpg
Then you know that the Dark Elves, like Arronax, want Arcanum to once again be ruled by elves, and elves only. They will stop at nothing to make this a reality. *She seems almost to shudder.* They've already done much, and are still doing so...
me.jpg
You keep saying 'they'. Aren't you a Dark Elf, Z'an Al'urin?
zan.jpg
Yes...yes I am. *She looks down.* I am a Dark Elf. Sometimes that is a burden. I..I don't know exactly what I believe anymore. I see visions, and these visions tell me that there is something very wrong with what the Dark Elves are working for, something very wrong with all that they have done...
me.jpg
(I must convince her to be on my side...) Then perhaps your place is not here among them...
seb.jpg
Are you crazy?!
me.jpg
*Raises a finger to his lips to silence Sebastian.*
zan.jpg
Perhaps not. I do not wish to betray them, nor do I wish to betray myself...or you, Gilford. And I can't say that, in the end, I won't betray one or all... *She hangs her head, her shoulders slumping.* Perhaps it is best that I leave all of this...
me.jpg
If it's answers that we both seek, then why don't you join me?
zan.jpg
You would have me, knowing I can make you no promises? Knowing that my own answers will always come first? *She shakes her head.* And you have no idea where we are going, Gilford. Not yet..not until I am sure of the right choice...
me.jpg
I've seen much more than you think. And the answer is still 'Yes'. Will you come with me? *Extends his right hand.*
zan.jpg
*She is quiet for a long time and made no motion towards the hand.* Yes, Alain Gilford, I will join you on your quest. It may be that I can help you...I pray, for your sake, that I am not your, or the world's undoing...
me.jpg
That...is what I pray to myself, at times. Tell me, Z'an, where can I find M'in Gorad?

The dark elf pointed over yonder...and followed Gilford silently.

31.jpg

Z'an Al'urin isn't that old by Dark Elf standard, aged 200 years old, she possess a superb willpower, intellect and constitution to boot. She will most definitely use her Stone Spells more often than anything else...and that will keep her alive most of the time, although...her effectiveness in combat are questionable at best.

32.jpg

zan.jpg
That is the one you seek. M'in Gorad.
me.jpg
Alright. Let me deal with her.
33.jpg

me.jpg
I've come to report on the search for the blimp crash survivor.
min.jpg
Judging from the Hand's famed reputation, I assume you are here to tell me that the survivor has been located and eliminated?
me.jpg
That is correct. I completed the assignment myself.
min.jpg
Wonderful! I assume you are here to collect the payment?
me.jpg
Exactly.
min.jpg
Here is the agreed upon amount. *She hands Alain some coins.*
me.jpg
I am also here to collect more information for the Hand.
min.jpg
Why is the Hand interested in our affairs?
me.jpg
It has become our affairs. The survivor killed several of the Hand.
min.jpg
Very well. What information are you seeking?
me.jpg
We are looking for the link between the Black Mountain dwarves and the survivor.
min.jpg
The only link between them would be information that the escaped dwarf passed to the survivor. We don't believe they had any knowledge of each other before they boarded the blimp.
me.jpg
(So they don't know how much I've discovered. Perfect.) That's very interesting. Where exactly did the dwarf escape from?
min.jpg
The Molochean Hand should have no concern for the whereabouts of a few measly dwarves.
me.jpg
We think the survivor was attempting to contact them.
min.jpg
That would be an impossible task for someone of his...limited resources. You will learn nothing from this line of inquiry.
seb.jpg
Yes, indeed. He failed utterly....completely!
geoff.jpg
Epic fail!
me.jpg
Yes, yes..brothers, please...What do you think the dwarf told the survivor?
min.jpg
We cannot be sure, obviously, but we assume it has something to do with why the dwarves were banished to the Void. Sadly, Stennar, the dwarf from the blimp, was one of the most skilled engineers. His loss set our timetable back a fair amount.
me.jpg
(I was right! The Void! I need more specifics...) Why were the dwarves banished to the Void?
min.jpg
Tell me, why are you so anxious to get information concerning the Black Mountain Clan? I've already told you that they had no contact before they embarked on the blimp. Seems to me you are searching for answers that should not concern you.
me.jpg
I was told to get this information for my superiors.
min.jpg
*She leans toward Alain as an attitude of hostility seems to grow around her.* Who did you say sent you here? Your questions are beginning to trouble me.
me.jpg
(Shit. I need to get to the Void. Somehow.) Well..you have seen through me. I am here to join your cause.
min.jpg
Do you think this is some sort of social club you can just join on a whim?
me.jpg
I know you are not averse to violence to forward your plan.
min.jpg
And what plan would that be?
me.jpg
Why don't you tell me?
min.jpg
It's not that simple. You must prove your worthiness first.
me.jpg
How?
min.jpg
Simply slaughter every last inhabitant of Stillwater, and then I will answer any questions you may have.
me.jpg
(Impossible.) Why would you want to kill a town full of innocent people?
min.jpg
Joining with us means following orders without questions. Out of the kindness of my heart, though, I will answer you just this once. Stillwater is too near our lands, they sell supplies to those that might wish to explore areas they shouldn't. No one encroaches on elven land.
me.jpg
(Madness!) They're too close? They're on the other side of a mountain range!
min.jpg
*Her eyes burn with hatred as she lashes out at Gilford with unexpected fury.* I told you never to question orders! *She makes an apparent attempt to compose herself.* If you don't kill everyone in Stillwater, I will have you tortured to death. Slowly.
me.jpg
*Glances at the companions behind him.*
geoff.jpg
seb.jpg
torian.jpg
virgil.jpg
zan.jpg
dog.jpg
*Nods.*
me.jpg
No. I won't kill another innocent. Luckily, you are far from innocent.
34.jpg

The dark elves assassins drop from the shadows and converge on the party. Z'an Al'ruin explodes into a magickal energy, transforming herself into a golem.

min.jpg
Betrayer!
me.jpg
Shut up, monsters!

The energy crackled in Gilford's palm as he unleashes it to all the dark elves in the room. Stunning them, momentarily.

35.jpg

It proved fatal.

36.jpg

Sebastian gleefully gunned down the nearby dark elf guard who are staggering in place. The victim danced a dance of death before collapsing in a pool of blood.

37.jpg

Torian finishes off M'in Gorad with his Charged Ax.

me.jpg
Fools...*Searches M'in Gorad's body.* We need to hurry...

38.jpg

me.jpg
Vendrigoth? Who is this K'an Hua?
zan.jpg
That name is unfamiliar to me...
seb.jpg
Whatever you do, make it quick. These dark elves will be raining down on us once they found this bitch dead.
me.jpg
You're right. There's no time to waste...
39.jpg

me.jpg
Rise!
40.jpg

me.jpg
Shut up. I need to know where the Black Mountain Clan is.
min.jpg
The Black Mountain Clan was banished to the Void to create a technological gate to weaken the wards that keep Arronax from returning. Please...the pain..
me.jpg
I don't care about your pain. Why did you enlist the Hand to kill me?
min.jpg
Stennar Rock Cutter escaped through the gate to warn the world of Arronax's imminent return. He passed this information along to you before we could stop him. Nothing can be allowed to interfere with restoring the elven world order.
me.jpg
You fool! Had you done nothing to threaten me, I would not have pursued the lead so fervently! He failed to tell me anything about the Void before his death!
min.jpg
It cannot be...you have come to defeat us, yet you know nothing?
me.jpg
I know everything now...Why hasn't Arronax returned as Stennar did?
min.jpg
Stennar had absolutely no magickal aptitude...he was able to slip through the smallest opening without any danger to himself...if someone of Arronax's magickal power were to attempt to come through before the rift was big enough, it would be an excrutiating death...
me.jpg
Farewell...I will stop your plans...you may regret your actions in the afterlife...
seb.jpg
....That's it? What about..
me.jpg
We'll think about it once we left this place. Come!

The party hurriedly exit the building.

41.jpg

me.jpg
(Huh? Another human?) I'm sorry? What are you talking about?
hand.jpg
What do you mean? You are in the middle of the village of the Dark Elves, and no one is here who shouldn't be here. So why wouldn't I know who you are.
me.jpg
(It's the Molochean Hand. Damn.) Stay out of my way, stranger. I have things to do...
hand.jpg
Ha ha ha! A valiant attempt my friend! I'd have done the same thing myself, had I been in your position. *His face goes still.* And now, I'd know that my ruse hadn't worked. Did you really think the Hand wouldn't recognized its prey? We've been looking for you for a long time, stranger....
me.jpg
So. You do know who I am. Who are you?
hand.jpg
*He bows, slightly.* I am Gideon Laier. First Blade of the Molochean Hand. I have sought you for a long time. And here you are, having walked into my very arms. Interesting, indeed.
me.jpg
I find it interesting that you're a mere whipping boy for the Dark Elves...
hand.jpg
*He laughs, but his eyes betray his anger.* The Hand serves no one, stranger. The Dark Elves are our most current employers, and nothing more. I suggest you keep your tongue in check.
me.jpg
That much I understand, but why are you trying to kill me?
hand.jpg
Why else? We are assassins, friend. We have been contracted to kill you. Is there anything else that need to be said? The Hand has no conscience or morality. We are death. That death has now come for you...
me.jpg
The Hand hasn't always been this way...
hand.jpg
*He gives Gilford a hard look.* What could you possibly know of the Hand, stranger? We have been assassins for more than a 1000 years. Our record is immaculate, our techniques those of the oldest masters. You don't know us at all...
me.jpg
I know of the Derian-Ka, Gideon. I know why the Hand left them...
hand.jpg
What? How could you...? You know nothing! A mere scrap of information...an old name! You don't have any idea what you're talking about!
me.jpg
Yes, Gideon. I do. Your order was under Kerghan's necromancers once...but your leaders broke free....and fought them. The battle between your order and the Legions of Derian-Ka was legendary...
hand.jpg
*He is silent for a long time.* So, you do know of our history. You may very well be the only living person, outside of the Hand, who knows these things. That once we served such evil ends is a shame to us...
me.jpg
Why was the Hand so shamed?
hand.jpg
Do you have any idea what sort of monster that Kerghan the Terrible was? He discovered all of the dark necromantic arts. He used to experiment on living souls, killing themm and then raising them from the dead. The Derian-Ka was his evil prodigy, and we served them unquestioningly for 500 years. We had never been told of what Kerghan had done.
me.jpg
And then your leader, Trellian, found something...
hand.jpg
Yes...it is said that he found the writings of Kerghan...which described in detail the experiments he used to perform on his victims. It madeTrellian sick with revulsion and despair...he vowed to destroy the Derian-Ka, no matter what the cost...
me.jpg
And yet here you are, making the same mistakes all over again...
hand.jpg
What? What do you mean?
me.jpg
If you thought Kerghan was bad, how about Arronax?
hand.jpg
Arronax? What the hell does Arronax have to do with any of this?
me.jpg
He's returning...why don't you ask M'in Gorad? Oh wait, she's dead. *Hands over the letter.*
hand.jpg
I see. *Anger flares in his eyes.* We have been lied to, once again. Someone will answer for this, in due time. And as for you, I am deeply sorry. The Hand will bother you no more.
me.jpg
Thank you, Gideon.
hand.jpg
Good luck to you...we won't be seeing each other again. I recommend you leave this place as soon as possible.
me.jpg
Farewell...

Unfortunately the party's descent was not a smooth one...the dark elven guards found M'in Gorad's corpse and sounded the alarm.

delf.jpg
Traitors! Assassins in the camp! Slay them all!
me.jpg
Arrows...everywhere! Argh. *Held his cheek*
virgil.jpg
Sir! You're bleeding.
me.jpg
That'll leave scar...get them!
dog.jpg
RAWR!
42.jpg

The dog tore into one guard's arm and chew it to bits. Torian's ax flashes a few moments before tearing apart the guard's chest in quick successions. Z'an Al'urin's body of stone protected her from the hail of arrows, using the rock form as cover, Sebastian emptied his machine gun at another guard, cursing as his chambers went empty. Thankfully, Geoffrey's zombie finishes off the last one. Virgil quickly healed Alain's wounds after the battle...satisfied, he withdrew his hands and stepped back. He took a deep breath.

me.jpg
Thank you, Virgil....
43.jpg

me.jpg
Yes, Virgil? What is it?
virgil.jpg
I have to leave. There's something I need to do...something I should have done a long time ago...
me.jpg
What are you talking about?
virgil.jpg
Listen, I...I'm sorry things have to be this way. I stayed with you as long as I could...I tried to forget...but it burns within me, won't leave me alone. I..I have to go to Caladon. If I can, I'll return to you. If not, well...I wish you the best of luck...
me.jpg
Virgil, please..just tell me! Let me help!
virgil.jpg
*For a moment, he seem to change his mind...* I'm...I'm sorry...I have no choice..I can no longer live with it. I must go and do what must be done. Farewell, Living One...
me.jpg
Virgil, wait...!
44.jpg

Alain couldn't catch up. The scar and wounds left him too exhausted. Virgil's figure disappeared into the forest. Soon, there's nothing left but the stillness of the forest.

me.jpg
Why?
seb.jpg
We'll find him...let's get that scar fixed up at a healer soon...
me.jpg
Ow...yeah..let's go.

Sebastian helps him up...and the party resumes their journey...

seb.jpg
Where to?
me.jpg
....Shrouded Hills.
seb.jpg
Very well.

Lindblum

Augur
Go to Caladon*Cough*

I forgot but I think you can cheese the Axe of Lost Time, with a high enough Tech. Aptitude you can use it without fear of the Hex.

RK47

Patron
That's a good idea, but Pyro Ax and Charged Ax are equally good, and fire / electric damage doesn't get resisted...and somewhat faster.

The Ax of Lost time speed rating is 2!

vendetta

Novice
Great let's play, it's better than playing the actual game. spent a lot of time reading it at work.

But what happened to the impulsive-driven, mean Alain Gilford? Will he come back?

friartucksduck

Educated
Still going strong! Zpointlessapostrophean and her visions should make for some fun party banter, especially with Sebastian and post-personality transplant Virgil.

Stasgard

Liturgist
Honestly curious to see where this is going. Keep up the good shit, this is as good if not better then that fucking awesome Somethign Awful Arcanum Let's Play.

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Looking forward to next update. I always check here for it...

HURRY UP :P

RK47

Patron
Sorry guy's i'm really swamped with my course reviews and work...maybe tomorrow?

*Goes back to playing Potato RPG of the Year*

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom