Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum - Summoner: Goodbye, Arcanum?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Loading.....next page.....

fable3poster2.png

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
A bump you say? I guess we can bump the page to the next one.

Well assuming we get updates on the next page that is.

RK47

Patron
Say what you will of Fable 3's lack of gameplay but..I still stand by its top notch presentation. :)

The party arrives at Caladon after days of traveling by sea...

me.jpg
So, Virgil. What do you know of Caladon?
01.jpg

me.jpg
I see. Geoffrey?
geoff.jpg
Caladon? Oh, not a bad place...better than Tarant, but not much. Full of old nobles who wouldn't know good taste from their rumpled bloomers. And they've still got a bloody king here! Talk about antiquated political views! It's enough to make a man toss his crumpets.
me.jpg
(With a little luck, the king won't be around for much longer...) I see. Well, let's find this Victor Misk, shall we? Excuse me, good guard...
02.jpg

me.jpg
Can you direct me to the home of Victor Misk?
guard.jpg
I believe it is over on Gray Wolf Terrace, near Rosemary's shop.
me.jpg
Thank you, I must be going. Mmm, what's that you're carrying, Seb?
seb.jpg
Just a newspaper some local discarded, looks like serious business. Take a look. *Hands the newspaper.*
03.jpg

virgil.jpg
By the gods! Why is it everywhere we go, there's always trouble?
me.jpg
Preying on prostitutes? How despicable!
virgil.jpg
I know I cannot dissuade you from pursuing this, sir...but can we at least try to find this Victor Misk first?
me.jpg
Of course, Virgil. That's what we're here for!

Gilford spies a man hanging out at the alley. The man returned his glance and gave him an acknowledging nod.

seb.jpg
Trouble?
me.jpg
No...just an acquaintance. Good to see you, brother.
04.jpg

me.jpg
The usual, please.

The roguish gentleman leaned closer and whispered into Gilford's ears. Satisfied, Gilford thanked the man and walked away.

seb.jpg
What was that about?
me.jpg
Just some jobs need doing and rumors in the city. Now..let's head over to Victor Misk's residence, shall we?

06.jpg

me.jpg
Yes. Might I ask who you are?
butler.jpg
Of course, sir. I am Wesley Carrington, the butler here at the Misk household.
me.jpg
Splendid, where can I find Mr. Victor Misk?
butler.jpg
*His face goes pale.* You haven't heard? Oh, I see. Perhaps you ought to speak with Mrs. Misk. She's in the parlor, sir...
me.jpg
(Strange reaction.) I'll do that. Thank you, Wesley...(Hmmm, that book display looks tempting...is that what we're looking for?)
07.jpg

me.jpg
Durin's Truth? Doesn't seem like it...Mmm, excuse me, miss?
08.jpg

me.jpg
The LATE Mr. Misk? He's dead?
misk.jpg
Yes...he just recently passed...we put him in the ground not four days ago.
me.jpg
I'm very sorry for your loss, madam. (Who could possibly have got to him? The Molochean Hand? Or was it the Dark Elves?) Have you a moment?
misk.jpg
Certainly...
me.jpg
Could I ask you a few question about Victor?
misk.jpg
What would you like to know about him?
me.jpg
What happened to him?
misk.jpg
He drowned...*Tears well up in her eyes.* They found him down by the docks, washed up onto the shore. We hadn't seen him for days, but he had been....that way...for the past few months.
me.jpg
What do you mean, 'that way'?
misk.jpg
Victor became...*sob* unbalanced..in the last few months of his life. He began having delusions, frequent anxiety attacks...ever since they released that cursed book.
me.jpg
You mean 'The Curse of T'sen-Ang' by Kendrick Wales?
misk.jpg
Yes...once the book was released here in Caladon, he became convinced he was going to be the next victim of that so-called curse. I tried to comfort him, to tell him it was all an author's conjecture, but he just wouldn't listen. He would say, "they got my old dad, and now they're coming for me..." We buried him a month later...
me.jpg
Where was the funeral?
misk.jpg
At the Caladon cemetery. It's northwest of here, near the Panarii Temple..
me.jpg
Could I ask you about "Horror Among the Dark Elves"?
misk.jpg
What would you like to know about the book?
me.jpg
Do you still have a copy of it?
misk.jpg
No...up until the last two weeks, Victor carried it on his person all the time. Then one day he came home and told us he had hidden it "somewhere that only he and his old Dad would know." We all thought it very strange, but, by then, there wasn't much about Victor that wasn't.
me.jpg
(Hmm...perhaps his dad is still alive.) How did it get out that Victor still owned a copy?
misk.jpg
*Anger flashes in her eyes.* I don't know! We had kept it a secret for so very long...only Victor and I knew, as well as some of our servants..but none of them would ever had said anything...they're like family to us, and we've always treated them so well...
me.jpg
Perhaps Mr. Wales paid one of them a hefty sum for the information?
misk.jpg
Yes, yes I know. And we did ask all of them, but all of them denied any complicity in the matter. I trust them all..and besides, I've no proof to the contrary. I suppose I'd be grateful if someone were to look into the matter.
me.jpg
I'd be honored to offer my services.
misk.jpg
Any help would be appreciated. The servants are around the house...feel free to speak with them.
me.jpg
Before that, what can you tell me about Victor's father?
misk.jpg
Victor's father, Phillip Misk, was an avid collector of books...at one time he had the largest collection in all of Caladon. He died in a fire...it was deduced that he had fallen asleep in his study while smoking a cigar...something had caught fire, and he was killed in the blaze. Most of his collection was lost in the fire.
me.jpg
But not 'Horror Among the Dark Elves'
misk.jpg
No...but Victor didn't find it for many years..it had been hidden in an old chest in the attic of our summer home. It seems Victor's paranoia may have been an inherited trait..
me.jpg
Doesn't it seem strange that both died somewhat mysteriously..?
misk.jpg
I don't share that view, sir. *Tears flow again* I'm not a superstitious woman. I miss my Victor more than anything, but I put no stock in such tripe. Both victor and his father were victims of chance and circumstance. I'll hear no more talk of it.
me.jpg
Well...I'll leave you to that. (Ignorance is bliss, they say. I guess I'll start investigating on who leaked the secret.) Excuse me, Wesley..
butler.jpg
Yes?
me.jpg
I have some questions about that book of Mr. Wales'...
butler.jpg
*His eyes widen, slightly.* You mean 'The Curse of Tsen-Ang'? That rubbish? I'm surprised you'd have the audacity to mention the name of it in this house, sir. Especially knowing what it did to Mr. Misk.
me.jpg
Forgive me, but I'm looking into the matter for Mrs. Misk.
butler.jpg
*He narrows his eyes further.* Are you insinuating that I might have sometihng to do with that, sir?
me.jpg
(How very defensive.) I didn't say that, Wesley. Perhaps you might be able to help me..
butler.jpg
*He looks relieved.* Good, good. I've been a loyal servant to the Misk's for many years. I'd hate to think that Mrs. Misk didn't trust me any longer.
me.jpg
Is there anything you know that might help me?
butler.jpg
*He looks around, lowering his voice.* I'm not one to talk bad about people., but if you're looking for a place to begin your search, I'd go no further than Brinda, the maid. She may not look it, but she's...*He's almost whispering* a HALF-ORC. You just never know...
me.jpg
(Riiight.) An interesting theory, Wesley. Is there anything else you can tell me?
butler.jpg
No. It just infuriates me that someone would betray Mr. Misk. I hope you find out who the responsible party.
me.jpg
I'll do my best, Wesley. Good day to you...
seb.jpg
Hope you won't waste time talking with the maid.
me.jpg
Oh, why is that?
seb.jpg
Say what you want about half-orcs, but they're the last person I want to bribe to get information. A human, like me, however...
me.jpg
Mmm. Point taken. So you'd betray my secrets for a few hundred gold?
seb.jpg
Heh, you? I wouldn't be tempted. You'd find me and tear me apart with a demon. Why would I want that? Here, I found something under the couch...
11.jpg

me.jpg
What's this?
seb.jpg
A passport. The butler's. 25 Dragon's Turnbabout. Let's drop by later.
me.jpg
Sounds like a good place to start. *Leaves the house.*
virgil.jpg
Err, what should we do sir?
me.jpg
The book. It must still be somewhere...intact. I seriously doubt Victor is holding on to it when he died. He isn't that stupid. We need to look for more clues...
virgil.jpg
Well, I guess most of his secrets are taken to his grave...pity..
me.jpg
That's it! *Snaps finger.*
virgil.jpg
What?
me.jpg
There must be some clue he took with him. Into his grave perhaps. Literally.
virgil.jpg
You're mad.
me.jpg
Let's dig it up! Come, the cemetery is just next door!
virgil.jpg
But I...uh..very well..

12.jpg

me.jpg
Virgil? (He's ignoring me? How unusual.)

Virgil finally stopped after passing several rows of headstones. He gazes at the headstone and closed his eyes while whispering inaudible words.

13.jpg

me.jpg
(Who's that?)
14.jpg

me.jpg
Virgil..what are you doing here? Who's grave is this?
virgil.jpg
Nothing...I...*He lowers his head.* This is..someone I used to know. Many years ago..I...just...thought I should stop by to pay my respects...
me.jpg
Lawrence Brummond..? Was he a friend of yours?
virgil.jpg
Lawrence was my..uh...my friend. We grew up together. In Tarant, actually. Our, uh, families...moved to Caladon when we were older. He died in an...accident. *He struggles with the words.* A terrible accident....
me.jpg
What happened?
virgil.jpg
I don't want to talk about it. Please...let's just be on our way.
me.jpg
Fine. Let's go.
virgil.jpg
I'm sorry....I..well, forget it.
me.jpg
Why don't you just tell me, Virgil?
virgil.jpg
Perhaps another time...

The search for Victor Misk's grave was on. And it didn't take long for the party to find it...

15.jpg

me.jpg
Well. This is it. Let's dig in!
16.jpg

geoff.jpg
It appears the modern society frowns at digging up several weeks old corpses in broad daylight. Who would've thought?
me.jpg
Oh, shut up.
seb.jpg
We'll come back tonight. With a shovel.
me.jpg
Yeah. Let's leave.

The party's travel through the streets of Caladon, seeking out the 25 Dragon's Turnabout. Gilford stumbles upon a guarded house along the way...

17.jpg

me.jpg
What is happening here?
guard.jpg
Have you not been reading the newspapers? There's a murderer on the loose. This is where one of his grisly murders occurred.
me.jpg
Perhaps I can help find the murderer.
guard.jpg
Hah! That's all we need, an amateur detective. You'd best be speaking with Chief Inspector Henderson if you want to pursue your fantasy any further. I am sure he will welcome your offer of help with his characteristic joy. Hehehe.
me.jpg
Where can I find this chap?
guard.jpg
At the police station, of course. 5 Saints Ave, off Temple Road.
me.jpg
Thanks.
seb.jpg
Are you serious?
geoff.jpg
He's TOTALLY serious. He's solved theft, murders, and committed wholesale slaughter of an entire prison colony as well as an elven village in the Glimmering Forest.
me.jpg
Geoffrey...
geoff.jpg
Not to mention his irresistible ability to extract information by drawing the spirits of the dead. Like I do!
seb.jpg
*Blinks.* Devil's balls! I have to see that myself!
me.jpg
*Sighs.* Look, either way, we're not getting in without the police chief permission, but I'm sure the neighbors can provide some information...So let's check them out.
18.jpg

me.jpg
( Maybe this isn't such a good idea.) Working for who?
skin.jpg
*He says nothing for a moment, his eyes darting from side to side, perhaps looking for best escape route.* You know who. The day has finally come, is that it? Arthur Tyron has become too dangerous to be allowed to stay alive?
me.jpg
You're Arthur Tyron? de Cesare sent me.
skin.jpg
*He grabs Alain.* The skulls! Have you brought the skulls?
me.jpg
Yes, here they are...
skin.jpg
*He examines them with barely contained excitement.* Yes, yes! It is all coming together, now.
me.jpg
What is?
skin.jpg
I have uncovered a plot the ramifications of which could bring down the government of Tarant! But I will need your help to finish my work...
seb.jpg
*Grins.* This should be good.
me.jpg
Is that so? (He could be mad...but people who are closer to the truth usually appear so.)
skin.jpg
*His eyes dart around again, suspiciously.* Haven't you ever wondered where all these half ogres are coming from? A hundred years ago, an half ogre was a rare thing, usually the result of raping and pillaging. But human women aren't...equipped to birth a baby the size of an half ogre.
me.jpg
That is rather strange, I'd never thought of it before.
skin.jpg
*He leans in close to you, intensity dripping from his brow.* They are breeding them! They've enslaved women and are forcing them to mate with ogres, I tell you!
seb.jpg
That's it, off to mental institution you go!
me.jpg
Who is...who's doing this?
seb.jpg
Oh, come on!
skin.jpg
The gnomes! The gnomes of the industrial council in Tarant! Haven't you ever noticed that every gnome seems to have at least one or two half ogres always following him around? They're breeding them for protection.
seb.jpg
*Draws his revolver.* Watch your mouth! Gilford, he's saying Willoughsby did all that? Seriously?
me.jpg
Calm down, Seb. How did you find out about all of this?
skin.jpg
The Siamese twins were the result of their first twisted breeding experiments! They tried to breed elves with orcs to produce a breed of extremely strong, resilient mages that they could then control. This was before it was obvious that technology would one day rule Arcanum, of course.
me.jpg
So what happened?
skin.jpg
The twins were the only viable offspring to come from those experiments. They were scheduled to be put to death, but they disappeared from the laboratory before their termination could take place. They appeared in high society some 20 years later. We believe they must have been under the protection of a powerful ally of ours on the council for them to have survived that long.
me.jpg
Who is this ally of yours on the council?
skin.jpg
No one knows. I have communicated with him in the past through codes in the newspaper and other surreptitious means.
me.jpg
All this is very interesting, Tyron. But I need proof.
skin.jpg
Through my research, I've discovered the most likely location for this breeding facility is a small island I've dubbed 'Half Ogre Island', near Thanatos. You would need to find a way into their laboratories to bring me some sort of evidence I can use to expose them to the world!
me.jpg
Assuming all this is true, why not have de Cesare do it?
skin.jpg
Sir Matt de Cesare is dead.
me.jpg
....I suppose I'll do it.
skin.jpg
Excellent! Here, let me mark your map with the location of the island. And don't speak with anyone about this, it could be... unhealthy, for you and me.
seb.jpg
So...you're going to check out this laboratory, or take this man to the police for slander?
me.jpg
I'll do the latter...
seb.jpg
I'm glad you have some sense in you...*Holster his revolver.*
me.jpg
...after I do the former.
seb.jpg
WHAT?
me.jpg
I want to know the truth.
seb.jpg
Look, you're sodding mad! There is no way Mr. Willoughsby and the rest of the Tarantian Council would resort to such....inhuman practices!
me.jpg
Then you have nothing to fear by heading into the island. Or are you afraid of the truth?
seb.jpg
Fine. But you're paying for the trip!

The party set sail towards the Half Ogre Island.

o1.jpg

me.jpg
Looks abandoned...
seb.jpg
Could be a prison colony for all we know..abandoned perhaps.
torian.jpg
I see outdoor cages from a distance...
seb.jpg
Which are empty, right? That settles it!
me.jpg
Let's head in. *Pushes the door open*

The Music Box

o2.jpg

me.jpg
Seb, what are these...?

Metallic tables...with unclear use, with tubes running over it, connected to several cylinders greeted the party. Reddish with rust, a strange large empty tubs sits against the wall, the inside stained with reddish rust or possibly...blood.

seb.jpg
This..is...I don't know...
me.jpg
Look at that table...restraining implements?
virgil.jpg
This place really gives me the creeps!

o3.jpg

me.jpg
Large bones...Half Ogre perhaps?
seb.jpg
Let's ...not jump to conclusions...
torian.jpg
There is a large...chest here..
me.jpg
A safe..not locked....*Opens it.*

The rusty safe's doors opened with a loud snap. An electrical trap was discharged!

me.jpg
Whoa!
seb.jpg
Look out!

Then....nothing.

seb.jpg
Looks like it fizzled...you're too magickal..carry on.

o4.jpg

me.jpg
A book. Looks like a journal.
o5.jpg

o6.jpg

seb.jpg
Well, what is it? Out with it!
me.jpg
It's true...Seb, let's go outside.
seb.jpg
No, damn you! Show me the book!
o6a.jpg

me.jpg
These cages...they probably house the captured women...
seb.jpg
*Reads the book.* This is..impossible!
me.jpg
If Willoughsby's involved...*Tightens his grip on the cage's bar.*
o7.jpg

me.jpg
He'll pay.

The party sailed back to Caladon, only to find it was not Arthur Tyron awaiting their return...

Music: Brightwall

o8.jpg

me.jpg
Who are you? Where is Tyron?
cancer.jpg
I do not know. I was meant to meet him here, we were to exchange information.
me.jpg
I don't believe you. What have you done with him?
cancer.jpg
I could be asking you the same thing, barging into his house, uninvited. I have been a colleague of his for quite some time, and he never mentioned you...but I do know who you are, and what you have recently acquired. Something that could be...damning to certain parties, yes?
me.jpg
No. What makes you think that I have?
cancer.jpg
Ah...I see you are wary. That is smart, as the trail we are following is a dangerous one. *He thinks for a moment.* Very well, I will share with you the information I have gathered, and you can decide for yourself whether to believe me or not. I'm not certain how much of it I believe myself, but this is what I've found out.
seb.jpg
*Holds his hand over the revolver.*
me.jpg
I'm listening.
cancer.jpg
About fifty, fifty five years ago, a group of gnomes from various party of Arcanum began to acquire large amounts of money from investments in the new technology. As their wealth and perceived influence began to grow, age old prejudices began to surface. Gnomes were thought to be miserly thieves. The other races dd not trust them to gain power.
me.jpg
Go on.
cancer.jpg
There were thefts, beatings, and threats. Mysterious letters in the night, warning the 'little gnomes' to keep to their place. The gnomes tried human bodyguards, to no avail. Any human that would be a bodyguard to a gnome at that time was, by definition, an untrustworthy, shiftless sort. At first they tried, unsuccessfully, to breed elves and orcs into some bestial magic hybrid to do their bidding...
me.jpg
The Siamese Twins...
cancer.jpg
Exactly. But you know all about what happened with them, now, don't you? It was a foolhardy idea to begin with, at any rate. Orcs have a natural dislike for gnomes, and the gnomes needed something much more docile.
me.jpg
I'm listening.
cancer.jpg
The next obvious choice seemed to be half ogres. Tired of being hunted, and the promise of large amounts of food gained the gnomes extremely loyal bodyguards. But there was a problem. An half ogre was a very rare thing in those days, and with good scientific reasons for being so. And the gnomes without bodyguards were used as leverage against those protested.
me.jpg
Please, continue.
cancer.jpg
The greatest concentration of these gnomes were in Tarant, which was still a monarchy at the time. They pleaded with the king for his help, but the last thing king wanted was a group of rich banker gnomes with power in his kingdom. The beatings continued, and the king and his court turned a blind eye to their plight. That was when, well, let's call him Mr. X, decided to act.
me.jpg
Mr. X?
cancer.jpg
Yes. He hired a prostitute to go home with him one evening, and he locked her in his basement, where he also happened to be keeping a full blooded ogre. You can imagine what happened then. She died giving birth, as was to be expected, but Mr. X now had his future bodyguard. He recruited some other gnomes, and the kidnappings began in earnest.
me.jpg
(That was...the beginning?) What happened then?
cancer.jpg
For safety's sake, they set up a 'breeding laboratory' on the island you visited. Their plan wasn't working out as well as they had hoped, as the women all died giving birth. And the more prostitutes that disappeared, the more the authorities were looking into their affairs. They decided to try surgical means of delivery, but the women were too sickly to survive that.
me.jpg
(The metallic tables...those were surgical implements!) Go on.
cancer.jpg
This is when the king's hirelings discovered what was happening. Unfortunately, for the king, though, the gnomes had become incredibly rich in this time, rich enough, in fact to purchase the king's murder, and the kidnappings of the queen and her young son. Rumors began circulating immediately, pointing to the queen as the killer of her husband.
will2.jpg
The monarchy...well, how should one phrase it?..became,uh, "outdated" about 50 years ago.
me.jpg
(Willoughsby! He was Mr. X? Or part of this whole conspiracy?!) The queen was brought to the island, wasn't he?
cancer.jpg
Yes, she was the patient in the first successful operation. She mothered three before she passed, I believe. Soon after the Industrial Council gained power in Tarant, the disappearance of prostitutes began to slow down, but a mysterious rash of disappearances of the wives and daughters of the political enemies of the council began.
me.jpg
(Oh no...) That is horrible!
cancer.jpg
They only lasted for a short time, however, as they now had bred enough half ogre females to no longer need to rely on human breeders. They have hundreds of them now, kept in cages on a breeding farm, somewhere. They kept this whole thing in a cloud of mystery by releasing half truths, lies, and even real information through unstable individuals like Tyron.
me.jpg
So no one believes any of it?
cancer.jpg
Exactly.Everyone believes it to be the imaginings of madmen and paranoids.
me.jpg
Is this all true?
cancer.jpg
That's a good question. We must not be too anxious to believe it because we want it to be true, or too anxious to disbelieve it because we want it to be false. We must remain neutral in our decision as to whether it is true or not.
me.jpg
What? That's absurb! It is either true or it isn't!
cancer.jpg
Hmmmm. Then none of it is true. Well, maybe some of it.
me.jpg
You! You're with them all along!
seb.jpg
*Draws his revolver.*
me.jpg
I'll bring proof to the press! I'll expose this whole thing!
cancer.jpg
What do you have? Nothing! You have a 'journal' that was left for you to find on purpose, which could have been written last week. What have you seen? Why, I believe you saw an abandoned warehouse, nothing more, save what your twisted imagination made it out to be.
me.jpg
Why are you doing this? *Tightens his fists.*
cancer.jpg
We always need more 'converts' to spread the word. You might have had real information, but now you don't know anything. What have I told you that is real? Feel free to tell anyone everything I have told you. I am sure the press would love to hear your story. Perhaps. Good to you, sir, it has been a pleasure.
me.jpg
(They controlled everything from the very beginning...They took out the monarchy. Bred the half ogres...the press is probably under their control. I must...have something to strike them back with. I...) *Loosens his fist.*
virgil.jpg
Sir...we have to go...there's nothing left for us to do...
seb.jpg
Does he die?
me.jpg
No...it changes nothing...the whole of Tarant.....*Leaves the house.* What am I protecting?
geoff.jpg
I think we should make a zombie out of that gnome.
torian.jpg
So, this is 'power'. Times have changed.
seb.jpg
Gilford, we can't let the Council get away with this!
me.jpg
I know...I...I KNOW! *Starts running.*
virgil.jpg
Sir, where are you going?! Wait!
me.jpg
I was here for something! If the Council is thinking of using me...well, they're wrong! I can still fight back! I remembered why I'm here! *Stops.*
o9.jpg

me.jpg
We're here....
seb.jpg
The Caladon Palace? But...
me.jpg
Huff..huff...you...are you?
o10.jpg

me.jpg
Yes, Renard. I'm here for the negotiations.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
I wonder what would be more malicious - killing the King of Caladon to bring the negotiations to a halt, or fluking them on purpose to spite the hairy gnomes.

Stasgard

Liturgist
The Molochean Hand Amulet is neccessary to get into T'sen-Ang the diplomatic way. The guards will presume you are a molochean when you show up, and if you or one of your followers have one they will let you in. You have to kill your way in otherwise.

On another note, god damned brilliant LP RK47. :salute:

korenzel

Educated
Nice cliffhanger, the story could go either way now. I'm eagerly waiting for the next part.

RK47

Patron
the_unshaved_masses said:
I found it to be foolish to let the detective subplot end prematurely but these last updates are definite :incline: .

You are quite right, I am very unsure how to tie it up, at first. I intend it to be a one shot in Tarant to show how...police actually operates in the Arcanum setting. Especially with magery and technology afoot.

It dragged too long and I felt like concluding it in Isle of Despair, hence...the 'We've lost his trail' remark.
Apparently, one of the poster mentioned 'Tarant reunion' and I decided to just end it right there before it got too deep.

The writing of this LP has gotten considerably close to invading my work time that sometimes in between idle office hours and lunch...I kept second guessing myself on how to tie up sub plots and introduce new ones in the already quite 'open' style of narration Arcanum presents. I forced myself to sleep in the bus and subway trips to gain more rest time due to the sleepless nights I had of narrating this crazed LP.

00.jpg

On a hindsight, I should've LP'ed Fable 3 instead.

RK47

Patron
Music "March to the Front "

01.jpg

me.jpg
Interesting. Do you have any advice?
ren.jpg
Yes...hold on to your wallet! So much money passes from hand to hand here...I've received bribes from beggars, here! Bless me, I have! *He makes a sign across his breast, bowing his forehead.* I pray to the gods that I survive this wicked place. Ahhh!
me.jpg
Let's get to the point, Renard...
ren.jpg
My apologies, sir. I've just never had a more terrible time...no matter. *He straightens his coat.* You will proceed through these doors, straight ahead through, and to the large doors at the end of the inner courtyard. The guards there will be instructed to let you pass once we have finished our conversation here...
me.jpg
And then?
ren.jpg
Once through those doors, you will walk directly to the end of that long hallway to another set of large doors. Through those doors is the council. You will proceed to the podium, and the advisors will begin asking you questions.
me.jpg
What happens then?
ren.jpg
Once you've finished the negotiations, you will obtain the signed agreement from them, and leave the premises immediately. Mr. Willoughsby will meet you right here with me once the negotiations are done. You will be paid then.
me.jpg
Sounds clear enough.
ren.jpg
Some personal advice...you will no doubt be approached by not a few persons on your way to the advisors chamber. These individuals will represent the various interests here in Caladon, and will attempt to sway your position on any number of the points detailed in the dossier you've received...
me.jpg
So...?
ren.jpg
So? Do not speak with them, take no money from them, do not change your position on any of the points! The very economic future of Arcanum hinges on the acceptance of Caladon into the United Kingdom! Do you understand?
me.jpg
Hmm. Yes. Good day to you Renard....
ren.jpg
Good. I will send word to the guards to expect you..good luck in your negotiations...
me.jpg
Farewell.
seb.jpg
*Whispers* That was Renard, I think he was the previously elected negotiator. Have you read the notes Willoughsby given you? Might be a good idea to do so now before you start the negotiations. See where the Industrial Council stands in all this...Who knows, you could ruin them for a long term basis.
me.jpg
True, I haven't read that book yet. *Pulls out the book.*
02.jpg

me.jpg
"...the Industrial Council would like control ALL aspects of the railroads. Under NO circumstances are you to give them control over both." Seb?
seb.jpg
That's one way to screw them over. If Caladon is allowed control of both of her railway and stations, then Tarant's Industrial Council would gain minimal revenue and have less leveraging power against Caladon.
me.jpg
Yes...that's one. "The second issue involves the use of magick within Caladon..." This one seems to be of no consequence. I'll let Caladon keep the old ways. It doesn't hurt that I'm a magicker as well.
geoff.jpg
Mmmm, why not propose an unrestricted use of magick within Caledon?
me.jpg
And risk a crazed necromancer raising zombies from the graveyard at night?
geoff.jpg
Pfft! Fine. I'll keep quiet from now on.
03.jpg

me.jpg
"You should recommend that Bates be given LIMITED trade concessions within Caladon, but not unlimited freedoms."
seb.jpg
But Bates' dead...
me.jpg
His company is still around. And if I'm right, the Industrial Council would have their greedy paws controlling it from within. A headless corpse. I won't let it gain too much influence in Caladon.
seb.jpg
As you wish.
me.jpg
"The status of the Caladonian Military is a VERY important issue...We, of course would like a full dismantling of their military,"
seb.jpg
If the Caladonian army is disbanded...then there's nothing stopping the UK from taking control of Caladon..through violent means even.
04.jpg

me.jpg
Not gonna let that happen. "They DO NOT want to keep a full, standing army and navy." OK, guess we'll stick with a compromise. "Tarant, of course, would enjoy seeing Caladon pay an even heftier tax than anyone,"
seb.jpg
Hah! Who wouldn't like more money?
me.jpg
I should propose the opposite. I'm sure they'll be grateful.
05.jpg

me.jpg
Mmmm, on currency..."Do not allow them continued use after 5 years. Anything beyond this would be a serious blow to the economic stability of the Unified Kingdom-"
seb.jpg
I'm sure the Caladonian Mint would be grateful if you offer them a generous concession...for life?
me.jpg
We'll see. "The shipping routes that Caladon currently controls are of great importance to the Unified Kingdom...they generate a lot of wealth through the use of tolls on foreign ships....*flips page.*
06.jpg

me.jpg
"Do not allow them to stay in place beyond 5-10 years - it compromises the morale between other U.K members," *Chuckles.*
seb.jpg
All these concessions. If you had backed Tarant, Caladon would never grow to its fullest potential...
me.jpg
True that, they underestimated my curiosity. "There are those among the advisors who believe that the unions represent a positive step for worker's rights," Whaaat?
seb.jpg
*Shrugs.* I guess Caladon don't employ half-orcs?
me.jpg
Fine, Caladon will...get what it needs. If it gets out of hand like Don Throgg...
seb.jpg
We'll be there to deal with it. *Winks.*
me.jpg
"The issue of the number of votes Caladon will have in the Unified Parliament should be academic. You should not, unless ABSOLUTELY necessary, offer them...*flips page*
07.jpg

me.jpg
"...the standard initial 2 votes, followed by an increase to 3 votes after five years of membership."
seb.jpg
Ah, democracy. The Industrial Council would flip out if Caladon gains equal votes as Tarant in Parliamentary matters.
me.jpg
We'll see about that..."Tarant is very dependent on the Caladonian farmers for grain, and Caladon have prospered greatly because of heavy export taxes."
seb.jpg
Let me guess...they want a discount.
me.jpg
"The sooner the tax is lifted, the better for Tarant." *Closes the book.* That's all.
seb.jpg
Ready?
me.jpg
Let's go.

The party enters the palace.

08.jpg

me.jpg
Hmm. Who are these people?
seb.jpg
Probably the 'lobbyists' that Renard warned you about. If you're actually leaning towards Caladon, it's probably best to listen what they have to offer. I doubt Willoughsby will pay you much after seeing the final terms of agreement.
me.jpg
True. *Walks up to the first lady to the right.*
09.jpg

me.jpg
Of course...
a.jpg
Thank you. Thank you ever so much. I understand the position you are in, and I won't be long at all. I am a representative from the Department of the Treasury here in Caladon.
me.jpg
Very well. How can I help you?
a.jpg
*She looks ready to say something, but then stops.* Oh, it's YOU. I'd been briefed that the had chosen the other fellow. *She seems to lose interest.* Your abilities...in setting prices aren't what we consider favorable to these negotiations. I'm afraid we've nothing further to talk about.
me.jpg
What the hell was that about?
seb.jpg
That woman is probably trying to get you to set a fixed commodity prices...but you're not really one with haggling skills..so she didn't think you're fit to bribe.
me.jpg
Is that so? Oh well. Her loss. *Moves on to the next gentleman to the left.*
10.jpg

me.jpg
Surely.
b.jpg
*He smiles, gesturing expansively.* I knew you to be an individual of good judgment. I represent the Department of Transportation here in Caladon....
me.jpg
How can I help you?
b.jpg
I know you're on the way to speak with the advisors...I'd just like to tell you that if you can get a signed agreement that states that Caladon will have the rights to build and own her railroads, we would be VERY appreciative...
me.jpg
Just how appreciative, sir?
b.jpg
Oh, I'd say about 1500 gold pieces appreciative. *He smiles, offering his hand.* If you do so, return here and we'll complete the transaction.
me.jpg
*Shakes the man's hand.* Consider it done. *Moves on to the next gentleman to the right.*
11.jpg

me.jpg
Thank you for the compliment. How can I help you?
c.jpg
*The man pulls a small device from within the folds of his jacket, waving it back and forth in front of Alain.* Oh...I thought you might be more...technologically inclined..but that isn't the case. I don't believe we have anything left to speak about, sir. Good day to you...
me.jpg
Suit yourself.
seb.jpg
What a missed opportunity, technological industry is on the rise in Arcanum...if you hadn't been so magickally inclined...we could've scored at least a thousand gold off him...who knows, really.
me.jpg
Don't worry about it, Seb. I'm not in it for the money...*Moves on to the robed man to the left.*
12.jpg

me.jpg
Ahh, a fellow magicker. *Takes his hand and shakes it.* How can I be of service?
d.jpg
*He studies Alain for a moment, making an assertion. Alain feels a slight tingling on his skin.* Yes...I see you are truly a friend of magick. With Tarant such an influential city in the Unified Kingdom, you can understand why users of magick might be concerned at the outcome of the negotiations...
me.jpg
Clearly. How might I help?
d.jpg
Well, you need only make sure that users of magick are given special considerations and concessions within the city walls. If this is outlined in the agreement, we would be most happy to pay you a...consultant's fee...of, oh, let's say 500 gold pieces.
me.jpg
An interesting offer...I'll consider it.
seb.jpg
*Whispers.* Seems kinda small isn't it?
me.jpg
Well, something is better than nothing. Oh..a dwarf..here? *Bows.*
13.jpg

me.jpg
Of course...
e.jpg
*He nods curtly.* I thank you. I will keep this brief and to the point. My name is General Veers. I represent the Caladonian Military...
me.jpg
Hello, General. How can I be of service?
e.jpg
*He studies Alain a moment, then seems to make a decision.* Perhaps we DON'T have anything to talk about. Only a man who is learned in the ways of combat would understand what I have to say...
me.jpg
Very well. I apologize. *Turns to the gnome next to the General.* And you are?
14.jpg

me.jpg
Of course.
f.jpg
I knew I could count on you, sir. I'm the president of the Caladonian Mint...
me.jpg
How can I help you?
f.jpg
I just wanted to thank you for being here, and to say that it would be EVERYONE's best interests, but especially yours, if Caladonian Gold will always be honored as equally as Unified Gold. You know, there are more concerns here than meet the eye...*He gives Alain a long, solemn wink.*
me.jpg
*Returns the wink.* How would you define my 'best interests'?
f.jpg
Would you be interested in 700 gold pieces, sir?
me.jpg
I might be...I'll consider it.
seb.jpg
Equal value? That's...I'm expecting a war declaration within a year of the treaty signing. Seriously.
me.jpg
As long as the Industrial Council gets brought down, it's worth it. *Turns to the lady on the left.*
15.jpg

me.jpg
Please...
g.jpg
*The woman smiles, almost predatory. She is quite beautiful.* I'm sooo glad that you're making the time for me, sir. *She moves a little closer; Alain can smell her perfume.* I represent the Department of Trade and Export here in Caladon...
me.jpg
Wonderful. How may I help?
g.jpg
Oh, I can think of so many ways, but right now I think that it would best serve everyone if we come to some sort of compromise on the issue of Caladonian shipping routes. I believe that Caladon is entitled to charge a toll, even to Unified Kingdom members. The toll will be charged indefinitely. *She moves closer, almost whispering in Alain's ears.* You agree, don't you...?
me.jpg
Mmmmm. I might like that...but...what are the benefits if I do?
g.jpg
She presses up against Alain. Alain can feel her womanly endowments through the fabric of her dress.* There might be many considerations, but I could guarantee you 800 gold pieces. *She gives Alain a very direct look.*
me.jpg
Oh, I was looking for something more...intriguing. But I'll put some thought to it...(What a viper!)
16.jpg

me.jpg
Oh, I'm sorry, I did not see you. *Turns around.* Please do...
h.jpg
*He straightens his tie, then wipes some sweat from his brow.* Thank you, sir, for taking the time. I'm from the Department of Labor...
me.jpg
And?
h.jpg
You may be aware of the growing problems with labor unions in Tarant...they're bringing production efficiency down and driving manufacturing costs up! We can't have that happen here in Caladon, sir! We need the labor unions to be outlawed here! I believe that we can convince you of the compelling nature of our argument...
me.jpg
And how do you plan to compel me?
h.jpg
*He lowers his voice, looking to and fro.* If you should happen to include that labor unions are outlawed in the signed agreement, we would be most grateful. The manifestation of that gratitude would be in the form of 1500 gold pieces.
me.jpg
Capital! You have a deal.
seb.jpg
Are you sure the Caladonian advisors would agree with this, the notes clearly states...
me.jpg
Please, Seb. The amount of concession Tarant is giving to Caladon is a strong sweetener. Just think of all the long term effects from all those taxations and railroad monopoly, Caladon must be stupid to reject it over concerns of workers rights.
seb.jpg
Mmmm, can't argue with that. Go on.
17.jpg

me.jpg
Of course...
i.jpg
*He bows slightly.* You're a true gentlemen, sir. I won't take up much of your precious time. I am a member of the Caladonian Parliament.
me.jpg
Ah, greetings, sir. How can I help you?
i.jpg
As you know, Caladon is a monarchy, but we do have an elected Parliament with limited power. We also understand that the Unified Kingdom has a Parliament, and that each member has a certain number of votes, based on size and seniority. If we could persuade you to our way of thinking, it might benefit us both.
me.jpg
And what is your way of thinking, sir?
i.jpg
We feel that Caladon should have 4 votes from the very beginning. We realize that this is the same number as Tarant, but we need to look at the importance to the Unified Kingdom of a powerful kingdom like Caladon. If you agree, and can make sure that this gets in the agreement, then we can make sure you're given 900 gold pieces. Call it traveling expenses...
me.jpg
Very well, sir. I respect Caladon's reputation and will do my best to have the agreement reflect that.
seb.jpg
Devil's balls. Renard was right. This is a nest of vipers...it's all gold for power. How can anyone resist all this?
me.jpg
At least they're fighting for the right cause.
seb.jpg
Wouldn't be too sure of that, Al. Looks like another petitioner. The LAST one, finally.
18.jpg

me.jpg
...Of course...
j.jpg
This won't take long. I'm a long-standing member of the Department of Agriculture...
me.jpg
And?
j.jpg
As you're doubtlessly aware, Tarant and much of the Unified Kingdom is dependent upon Caladonian farming for grain and other food products. Because of this, our farmers make a very nice living, and our economy is very stable. Our food export taxes and tariffs bring in a considerable amount of money. We need to make sure this continues to be the case.
me.jpg
Well. I see the problem. But how can we 'make sure' of this?
j.jpg
If you can assure that the grain taxes will be kept in place, even after membership, then I'm sure we can find a payment that is sutiable for the service. Shall we call it, say, 600 gold pieces.
me.jpg
The price is small, but the farmers toil day and night for the rich to feast upon. I accept.
j.jpg
Thank you, sir! Return here when the proceedings are over...
seb.jpg
That wraps it up..you ready?
me.jpg
Mmm. Let's go. We've...discussed enough.

Gilford enters the negotiation hall...and felt the simultaneous gazes resting upon him.

me.jpg
(Gods. What have I gotten myself into?)
19.jpg

RK47

Patron
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
So... are you going to kill the King or fuck up the negotiations? Or there are consequences if both are done?

Son, I am disappoint. The other King's Assing game is over there -

the-witcher-assassin-of-kings-2.jpg

Spoiler : A few kings died in there. :smug:

Fafnir

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Clockwork Knight said:
Oh god, this LP is amazing. I could barely get to Bates before getting bored, yet I'm reading this in one sitting adhabkhafkahf blakjs f
Amen to that.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
The Unified Kingdom negotiations is my favourite quest in the whole game - so many different options and results, so many different skillsets at play, and finally a chance for talky-talky characters to shine (even though the quest utilizes a lot more skills than just Persuasion, plus the assassination possibiltiy - gawd, my sneaky bandit build really did shine there, backstabbing a guard or two and avoiding the rest by the clever use of ventilation shafts, JCDenton style :smug: ).

My second favourite quest is the gnomejew conspiracy. All those faggots who complain that it ends on a bad note because it does not give you any "THE CHOSEN ONE MUST CHOOSE" option are biowhore gayfags who need to be led through any conclusion with a plot compass.

RK47

Patron
Mmmm. No update today...I'll do it tomorrow. Taking half day off work due to dentist appointment...then home...maybe catch X-Men First Class etc..we'll see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom