Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum - Summoner: Goodbye, Arcanum?

Gondolin

Arcane
Damn, this is one cold LP. Will you side with the bad guy at the end?

friartucksduck

Educated
Absolutely fantastic. The detective subplot just keeps getting better. Love it! :salute:

korenzel said:
Use one to open the safe in the museum, I forgot what it contained but remember it was the only way.

There's a quest-related schematic for making the key to that chest in the Wheel Clan. Also, I don't recall whether the container is breakable, but if so, our hero has already murdered everyone in that museum.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
01.jpg

The party travels quickly towards Stillwater, where possible information of Qintarra, the home of the elves, may be discovered and with it, perhaps the true fate of the Black Mountain Clan.

virgil.jpg
Fantastic! This is Stillwater! They have that cult here..uh, Gushanna or something. They have an orgy every year and call it a religious festival! We should go speak with some of the locals, eh? *He winks at Alain.*
me.jpg
We will do nothing of the sort. Have you forgotten why we came here in the first place? Joachim's telegram mentioned of an inn here. Come.
virgil.jpg
I...uh...sorry, sir.
02.jpg

me.jpg
The Bleeding Rose Inn...yes, I remember now...*Enters.* Innkeeper, I believe that Joachim has left something for me?
03.jpg

me.jpg
A book?
04.jpg

05.jpg

me.jpg
(Best I keep the text away from Torian. I wouldn't know how he'd react to this piece of information. If this information is correct, the Molochean Hand should be the good guys, but...why are they hunting me, not Arronax?) Innkeeper, do you know how to get to Qintarra, home of the elves, from here?
inn.jpg
Hmm...I do not know. You might try asking Myrth. He lives a bit north of the Falling Hammer.
me.jpg
I'll do that. The Falling Hammer is the blacksmith shop we passed by, I suppose..
07.jpg

me.jpg
Greetings, Richard. Might I ask you a few questions?
richard.jpg
How can I help you?
me.jpg
Tell me about Stillwater.
richard.jpg
Stillwater? Oh, she's just a small town. Used to be quite a place, back when Bates first made his steam engine..people used to think we'd be as big as Tarant! But, as you can see, we're still the same old Stillwater...a few stores, a few people. All in all a pretty quiet little town...
me.jpg
What's there to see around here?
richard.jpg
Oh, not much. We've an inn and a tavern, if you're looking for a place to stay. Other than our well-made weapons, I suppose our biggest claim to fame is he Stillwater Giant.
me.jpg
What is unique about the weapons made here?
richard.jpg
We do a lot of trading with the dwarves...they have the best mithril ore in Arcanum, and it makes well-balanced weapons, as well as holding powerful enchantments. My family has been making swords in Stillwater for 400 years. I don't mean to be wordy, son, but if there's anyone in this land who knows more about blacksmithing than I do, I'd be very surprised...
me.jpg
Do you enchant weapons as well?
richard.jpg
No...there's a local wizard in these parts who I use to enchant the weapons...he's a stubborn old codger, but we get along pretty well. Goes by the name of Cyrus. He puts spells on my weapons, and I check in on him from time to time. Come to think of it, Old Cyrus was supposed to come down here, yesterday. I haven't had the time to check in on him, and today I'm especially busy with an order from the Caladonian Guard. *He looks concerned.* I sure hope he's doing alright...
me.jpg
Perhaps I could look in on him, for you...
richard.jpg
Hmm. Yes, you seem a trustworthy type. Would you mind making sure that no harm has come to him? And when you talk with him, tell him I'll be needing his services as soon as possible...this shipment has to go out by the end of next week. If you do this, I think I could find an extra Stillwater Blade to pass your way. What say you, friend?
me.jpg
Sounds like a fair trade. I'll do so...

The party took note of the old wizard's home, and proceed onwards to Myrth, an elf who is rumored to know the location of Qintarra.

08.jpg

me.jpg
I was told you might know where Qintarra is located.
elf.jpg
Qintarra? You seek Qintarra?
me.jpg
Yes, that's what I said. Do you know where it is?
elf.jpg
It's in the forest. Even a fool knows that.
me.jpg
Where? Where in the forest?
elf.jpg
In the trees. *Cracks a slight smile.*
me.jpg
(Fuck you, asshole.) I suppose I'll just have to carve the information from you, instead...Ghostdog, KILL!
10.jpg

Obeying the word of its master, the beast leapt at the hapless elf without mercy and tore into into his left arm with its jaw. A brief struggle and ripping of muscles later, the arm gave way...and the snarky elf lies in the pool of his own blood.

me.jpg
*Spits.* You asked for it...*Holds an open palm over the body.* Arise, spirit.

11.jpg

me.jpg
It's because you're dead, unfortunately.
elf.jpg
Death??
me.jpg
I merely need a question answered and I'll leave you be...
elf.jpg
Help me...please...
me.jpg
Tell me where Qintarra is!
elf.jpg
I...Talans...
me.jpg
Here, show me. *Holds a map up to the spirit.*
elf.jpg
Here...*He points to a location deep in the Glimmering Forest.*...and there is a mountain pass you'll need to get there...
me.jpg
Fine, rest in peace. *Dismisses the spirit.* He could've avoided this fate. Fool. Looks like his magical amulet is mine. *Puts it on.* Come, let's find that old wizard before heading out.

12.jpg

me.jpg
Looks like he isn't home.
torian.jpg
A large creature came and took him away. I can see the footprints.
me.jpg
I'm not blind. Let's follow it.
13.jpg

virgil.jpg
Perhaps the wizard is being held captive inside...
me.jpg
Some wizard, he is. Can't even defend himself.
14.jpg

me.jpg
Are you Cyrus the wizard? Richard Leeks sent me to find you.
cyrus.jpg
Richard! Bless that man..I'll enchant everything that man owns if you get me out here! I was captured by Drog Black Tooth, an old ogre that's lived in these parts for years. He's never bothered me before, but I guess he got hungry. He said he was going out for something to spice up the soup. Please! Get me out of here!
me.jpg
Fine, keep quiet. We'll break the door open...
15.jpg

me.jpg
Well, look who's here, the soup's ready, I take it? Get him!
16.jpg

me.jpg
Rest in peace, Drog. We never really knew ye...

Later, at Richard's shop...

17.jpg

me.jpg
Thanks, Richard. I'll be going now...

The Hadrian Pass proved to be full of challenges, and our party face multitudes of ferocious beasts as well as treacherous footing.

18.jpg

me.jpg
Oof!
virgil.jpg
Here, let me help you up, sir...
me.jpg
Curse this blasted icy plains! Fucking abyss!
torian.jpg
I sense many beasts lie ahead. We need to stay on our toes...literally, of course.
geoff.jpg
My, my, someone is sharp today.
torian.jpg
This cold air...I relish the battles to be had.
me.jpg
*Gets up and wipes the snow off his clothes.* Argh! Kill anything that moves! The Glimmering Forest is beyond this pass...and after that...Qintarra! ONWARD!

RK47

Patron
me.jpg
Qintarra. I can scarcely believe it. Weeks after braving the cold of Hadrian's Pass, tearing past beasts...I would arrive at this place. This tranquility...this..beauty...SICKENS me. The plot..Arronax. Molochean Hands. How did it begin? This tangled web...Bates the fool takes the dwarves technology, unknowingly destroyed elven lands, then the elves, the leader, M'in Gorad, demanded the Black Mountain Clan's exile...yet...why leave Bates alone?

01.jpg

02.jpg

virgil.jpg
It's beautiful isn't it, sir?
me.jpg
*Glares.*
virgil.jpg
Uhh...yes..let's find this Silver Lady.
geoff.jpg
I think Gilford needs a little bit of rest, the trip must've been taxing on his psyche. He's so on the edge lately.
torian.jpg
He carries a great burden. This Arronax...is a real threat to him. Would you not worry for your survival, knowing your greatest foe is out there, plotting your demise?
virgil.jpg
It's that dark helm, I tell you...he's been strange ever since... *Cast a worried glance at Gilford.*
me.jpg
That...is a most unusual sight.
03.jpg

me.jpg
I am surprised to see a dwarf here.
jormund.jpg
This is my home. What do you wish of me?
me.jpg
What is a dwarf doing in Qintarra?
jormund.jpg
What better place to train in the ways of magick?
me.jpg
You're a mage? That is a bit...unusual, is it not?
jormund.jpg
I have been drawn towards magick for my entire life. Unlike most dwarves, I had no affinity for things of a technological nature.
me.jpg
So that's why you live here?
jormund.jpg
I am under a tutorial agreement to my teacher, Wraith. I am unable to leave until my contract is finished.
me.jpg
You sound as if you want to leave now.
jormund.jpg
I cannot take living with these elves! I thought my magickal bent would make me a kin to them somehow, but that is not the case. I need to find a release from my servitude before I go mad!
me.jpg
What exactly is the term of your contract?
jormund.jpg
My contract runs until the end of Wrath's life. In exchange for training in the magickal arts, I agreed to serve him. But the bitter old elf can last another two, possibly three hundred years!
me.jpg
Why did you agree to such an interminable length of service?
jormund.jpg
No elf wanted to take a dwarf as an apprentice, it was the best offer I could get. It wasn't bad at first, when Wrath was simply surly. Over the past fifty years or so he's become increasingly bitter and difficult to work for. I do not know what will I do if I can't convince him to release me soon.
me.jpg
Why don't you just leave?
jormund.jpg
I would never dishonor myself so. The only thing that can release me besides his death is his word.
me.jpg
Perhaps I could convince him to release you.
jormund.jpg
Thank you for the offer, but your interference would only serve to anger him, which would lead to greater torment for myself at his hands.
me.jpg
Fine. Suit yourself.

The party continues their exploration of Qintarra, the elves home, perched atop the trees over Glimmering Forest. Their sightseeing was suddenly interrupted by the discovery of a dead body.

04.jpg

me.jpg
Huh? Could it be...Jormund's mentor? *Searches the body.*
05.jpg

me.jpg
Hmm. This wine glass has a peculiar odor.
06.jpg

me.jpg
(This is too obvious!) Murder? Who is he meant to have killed?
elf.jpg
He killed Wrath, his mentor. Jormund's dislike for Wrath is well known in Qintarra, as well as his wish to be released from his contract.
me.jpg
This is all very interesting. May I speak with him?
elf.jpg
Sure, go on in. But don't try anything, I'll be listening out here.
jormund.jpg
You've returned.
me.jpg
Why did you kill him? To be released from your contract?
jormund.jpg
I would have sooner served my remaining years in silence than to have lifted my hand against my mentor, regardless of my dislike for his person.
me.jpg
If you didn't kill him, who did?
jormund.jpg
I've no ideas on the matter. How was he killed?
me.jpg
I do not know.
jormund.jpg
Perhaps you could get some more information from the captain of the guard out front.
me.jpg
*Turns towards the guard.* Can you tell me how Wrath was killed?
elf.jpg
We haven't determined that, as of yet. At this point, all we know is that we can find no evidence of any injuries from weapons.
me.jpg
What about Magick?
elf.jpg
No. We of Qintarra are acutely attuned to the flows. If any dark necromancy had been use, we would have felt it.
me.jpg
*Turns towards Jormund.* The guards say he wasn't killed with a weapon or with Magick.
jormund.jpg
Is there any evidence that you know of?
me.jpg
Just this glass.
jormund.jpg
*He holds the glass up to his face and sniffs it.* This is poison. There is only one apothecary, Sharpe, in Qintarra. If the poison was bought here, he'd have been the one to sell it. I need to speak with him, somehow. Since I am confined to my house, I need someone to help clear my name. Are you interesting in helping me out?
me.jpg
I would be happy to help...for a fee of course.
jormund.jpg
I will give you my prized Staff of Xoranth for your help, good sir.
me.jpg
I accept.I'll begin my investigation immediately.

The apothecary owner, Sharpe was not at his shop when the party arrives.

07.jpg

me.jpg
I'm looking for Sharpe.
girl.jpg
He was called out of the village suddenly. I am his wife. Can I help you with anything?
me.jpg
I needed to ask him about a poison. *Shows her the glass.*
girl.jpg
Yes, I recognize it. Very distinctive odor.
me.jpg
Do you sell that type of poison here?
girl.jpg
Yes, we do. I don't know if we have any at the moment, though.
me.jpg
(This is too easy.) The poison in that glass killed Wrath. Did you know him?
girl.jpg
Wrath is dead? By the gods?
me.jpg
What can you tell me about him?
girl.jpg
We had a...history. The three of us were friends, long ago, but he became angry when Sharpe and I began living together. Who killed him, that dwarven student of his?
me.jpg
Why do all you elves immediately assume it was a dwarf?
girl.jpg
You're right. I shouldn't assume anything. I didn't even know the lad. Though being under Wrath's yoke could drive anyone to murder.
me.jpg
What did Wrath do to make you dislike him so?
girl.jpg
He started spreading hatred and lies about Sharpe and myself. He said it was offensive and damaging to the village for us to carry on "like humans", as he put it.
me.jpg
He felt you were violating elven customs?
girl.jpg
I believe that he was actually jealous. Sharpe and him fought often, in later years.
me.jpg
Did Sharpe hate Wrath enough to kill him?
girl.jpg
It was the other way around, actually. I think Wrath became a bit unbalanced. Of course, we all know that elves do not have it in them to wantonly murder each other over things like jealousy.
me.jpg
Could Sharpe have poisoned Wrath to protect you?
girl.jpg
If he had felt I was in danger, I believe he would do anything to protect me, even sacrifice himself. But as I said, elves would never even think of killing one another. We take a wider view of things, as you know. This life is only one life that elves exist in. When we die, we go to another level. So what purpose would murder serve.
me.jpg
(Illogical denial.) But you yourself said that Wrath was unbalanced.
girl.jpg
This is disturbing me. I don't wish to speak about it anymore.
me.jpg
Fine. (I must snoop around her shop when she's not around. She must have something!)

Later that night...
08.jpg

me.jpg
Aha!
09.jpg

me.jpg
Now, you can't deny it any longer...
10.jpg

me.jpg
That is unimportant. What is important is what it contained.
girl.jpg
And what would that be?
me.jpg
Stop playing stupid. It was filled with poison - the same one used to kill Wrath.
girl.jpg
So? That proves nothing!
me.jpg
(Really?!) That, coupled with all you've told me before, points to Sharpe...
girl.jpg
But he can't have killed him! He's a good man, not like Wrath!
me.jpg
What exactly do you mean by that?
girl.jpg
Wrath had a black heart! I can't believe we were ever friends with him. He turned when he found out I didn't love him.
me.jpg
(Fucking shit.) He was in love with you?
girl.jpg
He was the one who suggested I live with HIM. I liked the idea, strange as it may be, but I never felt anything but friendship towards Wrath. Sharpe was the one I loved.
me.jpg
SO? What happened then?
girl.jpg
That's when Wrath became a truly miserable person. He would come around when Sharpe wasn't here and try to convince me that either I should love him, or that Sharpe was somehow not worthy of me. When I finally told him to stop bothering me is when he began threatening me.
me.jpg
Wait ...what?
girl.jpg
And the threats became progressively worse. He threatened to kill Sharpe at one point. The last thing he ever said to me was that he wouldn't let Sharpe have me if he couldn't.
me.jpg
(Blast! What the hell is she trying to tell me?!) You must have thought he was a threat to you, then.
girl.jpg
That was a hundred years ago, he hadn't even spoken to us since then. I know that us elves are a patient people, but I can't believe he was bitter all that time.
me.jpg
(A hundred years...really?) So what you're saying is that Sharpe had no reason to kill Wrath?
girl.jpg
But Wrath had plenty of reason to want to harm Sharpe.
me.jpg
(Dear gods, I need to think...goddamn elves!) If Wrath were to kill him, though, you would have hated him.
girl.jpg
But if he could get Sharpe to kill him, the whole village, including me, would turn on Sharpe.
me.jpg
(That...that makes sense! Of course!) Or if he killed himself and framed Sharpe!
girl.jpg
*A look of recognition crosses her face.* By the gods! That bastard did it! I cannot believe he could be that bitter - to kill himself! What a fool!
me.jpg
I'll tell the guards to release Jormund...but first...to visit that bitter, old bastard.

11.jpg

me.jpg
You can ponder your disgraced name for eternity.
wraith.jpg
NOOOOOOOO! YOU CAN'T DO THIS!!!!
me.jpg
I just did, die in disgrace, old man!
geoff.jpg
My goodness, what a ridiculous chain of events!
virgil.jpg
A hundred years...and he's still bitter?
torian.jpg
He chose a coward's path. There is no honor in his death.
me.jpg
I just want my 15 minutes back. Let's go. The guard needs to hear about this.

12.jpg

me.jpg
It was Wrath who concocted the idea of them living together.
elf.jpg
The degenerate! I knew Sharpe must have been led astray by someone. He was always a good egg, he was.
me.jpg
So you'll have Jormund released, then?
elf.jpg
Certainly. Thank you for all your help.
jormund.jpg
Thank you for clearing my name.
me.jpg
You're welcome. Seeing Wrath's specter's reaction was worth it.
jormund.jpg
Here is the staff I promised you. You are always welcome in my home.

13.jpg

This is a terrible weapon. It's weapon speed is amazingly fast for a staff, but the damage is so pitifully low.

me.jpg
We've wasted enough time. Let's meet the Silver Lady.

14.jpg

me.jpg
I'm sorry, I don't believe we've met.
raven.jpg
No..you're correct. We've never met. *The elven woman looks at Alain evenly. Her skin is light, almost translucent, with hair of dark crimson, almost black. She is beautiful, but very severe.*
me.jpg
What is your name, madam?
raven.jpg
My name is very old, and very long. *She thinks for a moment, her green eyes sparkling.* Perhaps it would be best if you simply called me "Raven".
me.jpg
Interesting. Do you have a moment?
raven.jpg
Of course.
me.jpg
I need to speak with the Silver Lady.
raven.jpg
The Silver Lady? Oh...you mean my mother...*Her eyes narrow.* That's quite a request, and one not so easily granted...
me.jpg
(Oh gods, not this again....) Believe me, Raven...she's going to want to speak with me...
raven.jpg
And believe ME when I tell you that NO ONE sees my mother until I see it as necessary. She may be our queen, but I oversee the daily matters here in Qintarra.
me.jpg
(Bitch.) Perhaps she needs to leave someone else in charge...
raven.jpg
Oh really, stranger? You're quickly wearing out your welcome, as well as my patience. There's a quicker way back down to the forest floor...perhaps you'd like to see it?
me.jpg
(Do not test me, woman...I have very little patience...) You'd not survive the presentation, Raven...
virgil.jpg
Sir, what are you-
me.jpg
SHUT UP, VIRGIL! I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THESE DELAYS!
torian.jpg
*Grips the handle of his blade.*
geoff.jpg
Oh dear...
raven.jpg
Insult or threaten me again, stranger, and I swear you won't see the end of this day...
me.jpg
Listen, princess. I'll save both of us some time...
virgil.jpg
Oh shi-
me.jpg
....you deplorable twit!
raven.jpg
Fool! You'll regret the day you ever stepped into Qintarra!
15.jpg

me2.jpg
You have NO IDEA who you're messing with, princess!
16.jpg

elf.jpg
Assassins! To arms!
17.jpg

raven.jpg
You accursed demon worshipper!
18.jpg

raven.jpg
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
elf.jpg
Princess!
19.jpg

me2.jpg
COWER before me!
20.jpg

virgil.jpg
Sir, it's enough - they're..
21.jpg

me2.jpg
I know. Damnable fools.
torian.jpg
Take a moment to gather your bearings, there are more of them about.
me2.jpg
I still need more information...*Searches Raven's body.*
22.jpg

me2.jpg
Wh - who is this Renford A Terwilliger?
geoff.jpg
Doesn't sound elven to me.
me2.jpg
Only one way to find out...ARISE, RAVEN!
23.jpg

me2.jpg
Then why are you here? Leave..
raven.jpg
You know I cannot. But I have no intention of helping you any further. I can wait here for a long time...
me2.jpg
I need but one answer, Raven.
raven.jpg
And why should I answer, elf-slayer? *She laughs, bitterly.* No, forgive me. Please...ask your question.
me2.jpg
Where do I find M'in Gorad?
raven.jpg
*She is silent for a long while. Then she begins laughing, a malicious thing, devoid of feeling.* Seek the one I love, murderer. Seek the one I love...
me2.jpg
Who? Who is that?
raven.jpg
*She remains silent.*
me2.jpg
Raven! Who is it?!
virgil.jpg
Sir, if I may...Renford A. Terwi-
me2.jpg
*Clutches the letter in his hand.* Yes...Raven. You are dismissed.
torian.jpg
They will block our passage out of this place. Are you ready to battle?
me2.jpg
Yes. Let's...leave.

With a wave of his hand, Alain summoned another hellspawn to do his bidding as his party tore through Qintarra's defenders. Dozens of corpses littered the giant tree as they battled their way out.

24.jpg

geoff.jpg
Looks like...it's over?
torian.jpg
I sense our enemies retreating, we are safe for now.
virgil.jpg
I...where to, sir?
me.jpg
Renford A. Terwilliger....Renford...A...Ter-
geoff.jpg
Looks like Gilford-boy needs a little time out.

friartucksduck

Educated
It just keeps improving! I'm excited for the Dark Helm / Living One subplot to catch up to the detective subplot now that Gilford's headed back to the Tarant cemetary. Tremendous, perhaps even gratuitous :incline:

ironyuri

Let's push this to the next page to cut down on images.

Great LP RK47. Best LP I've read in a while in terms of humour and pure enjoyment of a new approach to an old favourite.

RK47

Patron
Tarant, the largest human city in Arcanum. Big enough for any person to get lost in. Is it even possible to find a name in the midst of the populace? It's the only lead we have.

01.jpg

me.jpg
Those of you who wants to leave...may do so.
dog.jpg
Woof?
me.jpg
No, you don't have a choice. I own your life, remember?
virgil.jpg
Sir! I must object! Even with all the things you did, you did it for...
me.jpg
For my own sake. Virgil, I am not the Living One.
torian.jpg
I've already sworn my life to fight by your side. I refuse to leave.
geoff.jpg
And so do I! Erm, no. That's not right. But I do find you VERY interesting, Gilford-boy.
me.jpg
Suit yourself, but Virgil...leave. You are wrong about me, about the prophecy, there's still a chance for you to walk away from all this. *Turns away.*
01a.jpg

me.jpg
I must be off...

A sound like a thunder cuts through the morning air. I felt a slight push from Virigl, then a hot lead whizzing past my head, a hair's breadth away. What was that?

01b.jpg

A dull thud was heard as I smelled something burning. I turned around and saw the unthinkable.

geoff.jpg
What the-
me.jpg
Virgil!
virgil.jpg
Look out behind-

01b1.jpg

me.jpg
What happened?!
torian.jpg
I see a lone figure running on the bridge! He must have done it!
geoff.jpg
Damn it! It's a rifle round!
me.jpg
YOU! COME BACK HERE!

01c.jpg

bruce.jpg
Blast! I missed! *He recoils from the magical blast hitting him from the back.* Ugh. This is the end...
01d.jpg

me2.jpg
Indeed it is.
bruce.jpg
Do you worst...murderer...
me2.jpg
You chose this end...
01d1.jpg

bruce.jpg
MONSTER! I'm only doing whatever I can to protect MY CITY!
me2.jpg
Any last words?
bruce.jpg
See you in hell!
01e.jpg

01f.jpg

me2.jpg
Who hired you?
bruce.jpg
No one...I...I'm a private detective...on the trail of your murders..the lives you snuffed...Ugh..
me2.jpg
You've had your chance. Rest in peace, detective.
01g.jpg

geoff.jpg
Did you get him?
me2.jpg
Yes. *Digs a scroll from his pack.* The fool was aiming for me...*Removes the seal from the scroll.*
01h.jpg

torian.jpg
Gilford, Virgil...he...protected you.
me2.jpg
I know. He IS my protector.
01i.jpg

me2.jpg
Come, Virgil. We have much to do.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You've either made a shitload of chapters before starting the thread, or you're on meth. Or both.

RK47

Patron
Thor: I thought of the 20 STR being a factor too, but looking at my current roster....Uhh....No. I don't see anyone hitting 20 STR anytime soon. Balanced Sword / Katana / Dagger of Speed would be more preferable if you want high speed attack power.

Ghostdog: It's a public holiday, some Hindu holy day or some shit. Or is it Buddhist? I can't remember. I will slow down over this weekend. My parents are coming...and I don't want them to come into my apartment, hence I'm staying OUTSIDE whenever possible.

Companions update & Strange Gameplay issues I discovered:
Virgil seems to be a strictly healer / melee hybrid, and plays the quiet support role, another reason why playing as technologist is a bitch, the heals will stop working once you hit 30-40 tech rating. But there's a workaround. Suppose your tech rating hovers around 30-40% you can still equip the Dark Helmet and lower it back to neutral rating or even full magical aptitude! This is obviously a cheesy exploit, and the dark helmet in my LP did it without me realizing! Somehow it just boost my aptitude to 100% and Evil Alignment to -100 every time I start up my game, preventing me from approaching tech. stores and blacksmiths :(

Just be careful with the alignment shift, some companions will not want to follow you if you're too evil. This is very handy if you want to keep Magnus or any technological character healed by Virgil. Just re-equip the Dark Helm over and over to bring his technological rating back to zero.

And Torian is doing strange things with the Stillwater Blade in his inventory, he can actually summon stuff without it being equipped. INTERESTING. If you want to exploit this fact, consider using the Dark Helm re-equip trick to bring his Mag. Aptitude to Max and summon Vorpal bunnies!

Also, Geoffrey tends to summon undead, and these undead actually benefit from Mag. Aptitude. The higher it is, a different undead will be summoned. Boost his Mag. Aptitude to 100 and maybe his undead summoning won't be a total waste of time. Finally, to prevent Geoffrey from going melee and killing himself in the process, buy him a boomerang or any thrown weapons. These thrown weapons cannot critically fail. Hence it's the safest bet for any stupid AI fodders since they will engage from far away, and prevent rage-inducing deaths.

We return to Tarant - where the party is still on the hunt for Renford A. Terwilliger.

02.jpg

me.jpg
Who is Renford A. Twerilliger?
02a.jpg

me.jpg
Hmm, does that mean he's dead?
virgil.jpg
If so, it will prove very difficult for us to gain any information.
me.jpg
Let's just visit the grave first, then check the Hall of Records.

Along the way to the graveyard...

03.jpg

me.jpg
Seems like an important figure..
geoff.jpg
I do believe that's Edward Willoughsby, an important business in Tarant.
me.jpg
Excuse me, sir? May I know who you are?
will.jpg
Greetings. I am Edward Willoughsby, businessman and chairman of the Tarantian Industrial Council. How might I be of service?
me.jpg
Well met, Mr. Willoughsby. Might I ask you a few questions?
will.jpg
I'd be more than happy to speak with you, young man. I'm always eager to hear the thoughts and opinions of my constituents. Unfortunately, I have a pressing engagement just now. Will you stop by my offices in City Hall in an hour or so, and we can speak further...?
me.jpg
I may just do that. Good day to you.
04.jpg

me.jpg
So. He's dead.. Author and Historian. What did he write about?
virgil.jpg
I suppose the only place left to go to is the Hall of Records at the City Hall building.
me.jpg
Right.

On the way to the City Hall building, the party was stopped by a real estate salesman.
05.jpg

geoff.jpg
By the Earl Grey! You really did - ulp!
me.jpg
Hmm. I might be interested. How much are you selling it for?
salesman.jpg
*He smiles widely.* That magnificent piece of property can be yours for the miserly sum of 100,000 coins!
me.jpg
I don't have that much coin. Perhaps we can work something out?
salesman.jpg
I have no say in the price. I am simply an agent, working for the bank. 100,000 is the price, and that is final.
me.jpg
(Pity. Would be nice to have a nice cozy place to retire after this whole Living One business is over.) I see. Good bye to you, then.

The party continues their trip towards the City Hall where Gilford decides to stop by Mr. Willoughsby office to continue his chat.

06.jpg

me.jpg
Hello, Mr. Willoughsby...have you time to talk?
will.jpg
Why, yes. I do so enjoy conversations with my constituents. Lifeblood of the city, and all of that...do you know anything of the politics here in Tarant, young man?
me.jpg
No. Might we speak of them?
will.jpg
Tarant is ruled by the Tarantian Industrial Council, of which I am the Chairman. We are a group of businessmen and politicians who make laws based upon what we feel is best for both the commercial and *He clears his throat.* cultural future of our fair city.
me.jpg
(Hmm. Sounds complicated.) Has Tarant always been ruled as such, or was there once a king?
will.jpg
No. The monarchy...well, how should one phrase it?..became,uh, "outdated" about 50 years ago. we dont' speak of it much here in Tarant. *You can tell it makes him feel uncomfortable.* Suffice it to say that the city has prospered under our new system of government. Do you know of the Unified Kingdom, friend?
me.jpg
(Strange. How can the royal family give up their positions and powers so easily, and disappear without a trace?) No...what is the Unified Kingdom?
will.jpg
The Unified Kingdom is an alliance of two major kingdoms...those of Tarant and Ashbury. We share trade resources and military strength. And there are many cities that are currently looking into joining the Unified Kingdom. Negotiations with prospective members are a part of my job...
me.jpg
What does your job entail, Mr. Willoughsby?
will.jpg
My job? Oh...I've many responsibilities being chairman of the Industrial Council aswell as the owner of my own considerable enterprises. As of late, I've been monitoring the negotiations with Caladon. Caladon, you see, is considering becoming a member of the United Kingdom.
me.jpg
Really? Have they agreed to do so, already?
will.jpg
No...we've hit a barrier in the negotations, and we're not quite sure what to do...we're in desperate need of a skilled diplomat to approach the King's advisors with our newest proposals, and to make sure that their decision is to recommend Caladon to join us. We're having trouble finding a man with the skills to successfully do so...
me.jpg
Hmmm. I might be the individual you're looking for...
will.jpg
*He considers for a moment.* No, I don't think you're the man we're looking for. This task will take the most skilled mediator, and no offense, but I just don't think your powers of persuasion are yet up to the task. This job will require an expert negotiator with the HIGHEST skill, you see...
me.jpg
(A pity. This whole business sounds very serious.) Fine...I'll be leaving now. *Leaves the office.*

No sooner than later..

07.jpg

me.jpg
Yes...as a matter of fact it was.
spy.jpg
I've no doubt that is the case. Mr. Willoughsby is a powerful man, and his influence are far-reaching. Men such as he, you just never know what they're getting into.
me.jpg
Yes, power has the tendency to corrupt most men...
spy.jpg
Yes. *The man smiles, obviously happy with Gilford's answers.* Truer words have never been said. And power in the hands of the foolish is even more dangerous. Yes, indeed.
me.jpg
What exactly are you insinuating, sir?
spy.jpg
Nothing, nothing. It's only that a man might be talking to Mr. Willoughsby, and then Mr. Willoughsby might tell you something, and the next thing you know, you're completely involved in something you don't completely understand. Something political, perhaps. Do you know what I'm talking about, sir?
me.jpg
(Why can't this bastard just get to the point?) Perhaps you mean the negotiations with the Caladon?
spy.jpg
You see...you walked into Willoughsby's office only a little while ago, and now you're privy to delicate, national information. Not that I don't appreciate your candor in the matter, my friend. But, don't you feel it's just a little strange?
me.jpg
(Time to toss the bait...)Yes..that does seem a little bit odd...
spy.jpg
It's a wise man who looks at what is before his eyes. You and I might have more in common than you think, friend.
me.jpg
Perhaps. Who are you, sir?
spy.jpg
My name is Heinrich. Heinrich Jenks. I represent a concerned group of citizens, both here in Tarant and abroad. We've made it our business to...keep a close look on the political power structure in the Unified Kingdom, and to make sure that its working toward a mutually beneficial end.
me.jpg
(Interesting...)Can I assume that you believe Mr. Willoughsby is not doing so?
spy.jpg
You might say that, friend. I know that he is currently involved in negotiation with Caladon, and that is VERY interested in making sure that they become members in the Unified Kingdom. I believe this interest supersedes any other concerns he might have, including the interests of his own constituents. I find this...troubling...
me.jpg
(I don't really know the details, I need to dig deeper...See where this rabbit hole goes.) Are you saying that Caladon's membership is a bad idea?
spy.jpg
Let's look at the facts, sir. Tarant, with the Unified Kingdom, is the most powerful kingdom in all of Arcanum. We have natural resources, shipping and railroads, as well as the most stable manufacting framework of any city in the world. Much of our great wealth comes at the expense of cities like Caladon, in the form of taxes and tariffs...
me.jpg
(I don't know how long that'll last after Bates is dead. Surely, a great change will come.) So? What are you saying?
spy.jpg
So? So Mr. Willoughsby, and his cohorts on the Council, are in effect taking away a great source of Tarant's wealth and power by allowing a kingdom like Caladon to join the Unified Kingdom. Caladon is dependent on us for resources like lumber and technology...if they are allowed to join the Unified Kingdom, then we lose that advantage!
me.jpg
I see your point....
spy.jpg
Don't get me wrong, friend. It's men like Willoughsby who made Tarant what it is today. Men with vision, and the backbone to do whatever it takes to see that vision to its end. Tarant was not always so powerful, and to make it so had a great price.
me.jpg
What price? What to do you mean?
spy.jpg
That's another story, for another time. And not mine to tell, sir. Let us just say that the Tarantian monarchy was one of the victims of the Industrial Councils vision. As in any war, there are casualties...
me.jpg
(So that's where they went!) If you respect Willoughsby, why question his actions now?
spy.jpg
Power can do strange things to men, my friend. What created Tarant was patriotism, but I'm afraid that greed is now the fuel behind her fire. Willoughsby stands to make quite a bit of money if Caladon joins the Unified Kingdom. Remember, he's a businessman first, a politician afterwards.
me.jpg
What does he stand to gain?
spy.jpg
Manufacturing concessions, tax advantages, Caladon would do just about anything for a businessman who holds the power to push this agreement through, don't you think.
me.jpg
(I see his point completely, but what's his angle? Assassinating Willoughsby?) Perhaps. What are you suggesting be done, Mr. Jenks?
spy.jpg
*He smiles.* You see? Two men, strangers really, can have a logical, rational conversation, and the next thing you know, things are being done. Good things, mind you, necessary things. Things that made this city great...
me.jpg
(Stop beating around the bush, asshole.) I've agreed to nothing, Jenks.
spy.jpg
have I said that you have? I was just making an observation, sir. It's strange how great things sprout from such insignificant encounters, don't you think?
me.jpg
I'm ready to hear what you have in mind, Jenks... (Come on, let's hear it. Tell me what you want. Right. In. My. Face.)
spy.jpg
Good, good. *He lowers his voice.* Most importantly...did, or did not you accept the position as mediator between Caladon and the Unified Kingdom?
me.jpg
I volunteered, but was denied.
spy.jpg
I see. Well, that's not a problem we can't overcome. Although it would have been a great advantage in doing what needs to be done...
me.jpg
(Here it comes...) And that is..?
07a.jpg

eyes.jpg

friartucksduck

Educated
RK47 said:
Ghostdog: It's a public holiday, some Hindu holy day or some shit. Or is it Buddhist? I can't remember. I will slow down over this weekend. My parents are coming...and I don't want them to come into my apartment, hence I'm staying OUTSIDE whenever possible.
It's Vesak, dude! The feast day for Shakyamuni Buddha. Enjoy the spectacle.

Awesome work on the detective plot. That was just too cool for words.

Redshirt #42

Augur
RK47 said:
You should tell your parents that you're LPing Arcanum for the prestigious RPGCodex magazine. M:

I'm sure they'll understand and they won't bother you.

RK47

Patron
me.jpg
I'm still listening, Jenks...
virgil.jpg
Now, wait just a min-
me.jpg
Virgil. Be silent. This is important.
virgil.jpg
*Frowns.*
spy.jpg
Yes...I'd pegged you for a patriot. We're in desperate need of men like you...the fate of Tarant rests in your hands. First, you should try for the appointment from Willoughsby....
me.jpg
I've already told you I didn't receive it.
spy.jpg
Yes, but I'm sure he won't mind you asking again for the appointment. With a little more polish, you might be just the man he's looking for...
me.jpg
I'll look into it. What happens if I'm able to get the appointment?
spy.jpg
Then you'll have special access to certain parts of the castle that would be inaccessible if you weren't a special envoy from Tarant. Places like the kitchen....
me.jpg
Am I to meet someone there?
spy.jpg
Yes, the man's name is Vernon. He will instruct you further.
me.jpg
What if I don't get the position?
spy.jpg
Then you are to meet a man named Bullors down at the Caladon docks. He'll be around, and he'll be expecting you. He'll help you get into the castle, where you will have access to the kitchens, and then Mr. Vernon. Are we understood?
me.jpg
Clearly.
spy.jpg
If you succeed in assassinating King Farad, then return to Tarant, and meet me at Grant's Tavern. I'll have heard about it, and will wait there every day until you return. You will be paid no less than 20,000 coins for your trouble. Agreed.
me.jpg
Agreed.
spy.jpg
Splendid. We won't speak of this again, although I will be here watching Willoughsby until you leave for Caladon. Good day to you, sir...
me.jpg
I'll be leaving now.
virgil.jpg
Sir, please reconsider...
me.jpg
I didn't say we'll do it, Virgil.
virgil.jpg
Well, ..what a relief! I thought you'd...
me.jpg
(Yeah, WE won't. I will.) Never mind that, Virgil. Let's deal with this 'Renford' fellow first, shall we? Looks like the stairs down is where the Hall of Records is...
08.jpg

me.jpg
What manner of place is this, pray tell.
woman.jpg
This great place is known as The Hall of Records. All manner of knowledge is kept upon these premises. It is here that all of our census records are kept, as well as tome upon tome of archives.
me.jpg
Well, that's great. Are you able to help me to locate an individual?
woman.jpg
May I have the individual's name?
me.jpg
Renford A. Terwilliger.
woman.jpg
*Checks through the records.* My apologies sir, there does not seem to be an individual by that name in Tarant.
me.jpg
I was told that he could be found in Tarant.
woman.jpg
Sadly, the census is not one hundred percent accurate. Perhaps it would be wise to check some earlier records.
me.jpg
Yes, perhaps we should. Try 50 to 100 years ago.
woman.jpg
*Flips through another stack of records* Oh! Good news sir! Renford A. Terwilliger, human...Born: unknown...Died: 1804..here in Tarant. Well! This would explain why we were unable to locate him living in Tarant. Do you wish me to retrieve his orbituary?
me.jpg
Yes, please.
woman.jpg
Ah, yes...here we are. Ahem. 5.11.1804 - Renford A. Terwilliger, author of "T'sen-Ang: Horror Among the Dark Elves" was found dead in his home today. His death appears to have occurred amongst mysterious circumstance. The authorities are calling for further investigation. Oh my, what a dreadful incident.
me.jpg
(Dark elves? I was wrong? There were DARK elves?)
woman.jpg
Sir? Is there anything else I could do for you?
me.jpg
(Shit! I fucked up! No! It can't be!)
woman.jpg
Sir...?
me.jpg
(Qintarra. I...killed them. For what?)
virgil.jpg
Sir! Are you alright?!
me.jpg
Ah! Yes. YES! I'm alright! Where is this book? Where can I get it?
woman.jpg
If it is books you are in search of, you should view the Library of Tarant. They have an extensive collection.
me.jpg
I am leaving now...Thank you.
virgil.jpg
Sir, what happened?
me.jpg
Nothing, Virgil. Let's go get this book...

Later...

The book was not available. The costly membership to the library, however, provided another book with a similar title. "The Curse of T'sen-Ang" by Kendrick Wales. I flipped the pages, desperate for any clue of the dark elves whereabouts.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

me.jpg
*Closes the book.* The dark elves were willing to resort to murder in order to conceal their home. Whoever this Min'Gorad is, he or she must be somewhere at T'sen Ang. I must find the last copy of Renford's book!
virgil.jpg
To Caladon, then?
me.jpg
Yes...I suppose. We'll need to take the sea route..Let's resupply for a bit before heading out.
geoff.jpg
I must say, this is some nasty business! I'm quite excited, who knows we might meet some REAL dark elves.
me.jpg
I bet you're just itching to practice necromancy on them.
geoff.jpg
You know me only too well, Gilford.

The party left the university and headed past the Bates' Mansion.

16.jpg

me.jpg
What seems to be the problem?
guard.jpg
You will have to pardon my less than cordial spirits, sir. A great man, Gilbert Bates, has been killed.
me.jpg
(Heh.) That is a shame. Good day.

A little bit ahead of the Bates Mansion, a crowd of uniformed men gathers in front of the factory.

17.jpg

virgil.jpg
My, what seems to be the problem?
me.jpg
Mhmm, let's get to the bottom of this. Excuse me, sir? What's going on here?
18.jpg

me.jpg
I'm Alain Gilford. May I ask what you intend to do here?
cap.jpg
If I were certain it were possible to do so without the loss of my men, I'd raid the factory and kill them all, damned orcs.
me.jpg
This is what happens when you employ mindless beasts.
cap.jpg
Exactly! Now most times, they're docile beasts, but it's too easy to get them riled up, like Throgg has, again.
me.jpg
Throgg?
cap.jpg
Yep. Donn Throgg. He's their leader. He's too smart for his own good...it's the human blood that has made him this difficult, ironically.
me.jpg
He's a half orc?
cap.jpg
Yes, and instead of being a part of society as his blood would allow, he has taken it upon himself to be the champion of the orcs. He lives with them, works with them, and basically, he refuses to be treated as anything but a full blooded orc. We need to rid society of his kind, for the good of everyone.
me.jpg
So what can be done to end this stand off?
cap.jpg
Without endangering my men, the only thing to do is starve them out.
me.jpg
Perhaps I can help...
cap.jpg
What do you propose.
me.jpg
Perhaps I can convince him to surrender.
cap.jpg
It wouldn't be easy...he's distrustful of me, as there was an "incident" the last time these beasts rioted. We were forced to gun them down to protect the citizens of Tarant. Hmmm. Perhaps if you were to let him know that the members of the press were out there...yes, he could speak to them when he surrenders. That might convince him.
me.jpg
Are there members of the press out here? *Winks at the Captain.*
cap.jpg
Hmmm? Oh, uh, yes, of course. If you can get him to surrender and lure, uh, convince him to come outside peacefully, we can end this stand off. Peacefully. *He hands Gilford a key.* They've lacked themselves in, but the owner gave us the key to the front door. Good luck.
me.jpg
Thank you.
geoff.jpg
I really hope you're not serious in negotiating for their freedom and such, Gilford.
me.jpg
Oh, who's to say no to peace? *Chuckles.* I'm not killing anyone.
geoff.jpg
*Raises an eyebrow.* Interesting. Show me.
me.jpg
My pleasure. *Inserts the key and unlocks the door.*
19.jpg

me.jpg
I'm here to speak with Mr. Throgg.

The orc grunted and allowed passage. The rest of his comrades eye the party carefully. Armed with multiple implements of factory, they seem to pose a considerable threat.

me.jpg
(Wheeler's right. If his boys get in here, the guns won't be much use. They're going to get cut down fast in close combat. Fucking savages.)

20.jpg

me.jpg
I'm here to convince you to surrender.
donn.jpg
Surrender? Deliver my fate into the hands of those narrow minded oppressors? Not likely. Even were I to survive the experience, which I doubt, it would do nothing to change the plight of my brothers. We must be heard.
me.jpg
Wheeler wouldn't dare kill you in front of the crowd out there.
donn.jpg
Wheeler! Of course he would. And the papers would congratulate him for removing a threat to society. They love to build up villains and heroes, regardless of what the truth may be.
me.jpg
Make him the foolish villain to the press, then.
donn.jpg
And that would not be a difficult task. He is a buffoon, at best. This idea is beginning to intrigue me, that I will admit.
me.jpg
The contrast of your views with Wheeler's would sway people.
donn.jpg
*A broad smile appears on his face.* I don't know if that's true, people's beliefs are hard to sway. Truth very rarely enters into it. No, what I am interested in is making Wheeler's look to be a fool. If I could get people to question his abilities as Captain of the Guard, they would then begin to question his supporters on the council...
me.jpg
Exactly.
donn.jpg
I believe you have convinced me, sir. I will do it.
me.jpg
Let me go tell Wheeler you are coming out peacefully.
geoff.jpg
*Golf claps.*
me.jpg
*Raises a thumb up.*
21.jpg

me.jpg
Yes, he wanted me to tell you he is coming out peacefully.
cap.jpg
Thanks, me and my boys will take it from here.
me.jpg
You're welcome.

Not a moment too soon, Donn Throgg exits the factory with his head raise high. He scans the crowd for journalists but found none. His eyes widen as the muzzles of the guards' rifles pointed at him. He cast a hateful glance at the negotiator before his right arm reaches into his coat...

donn.jpg
Scum! You'll never take me alive!
22.jpg

cap.jpg
He's got a gun! SHOOT HIM!
geoff.jpg
Oh, Gilford, MAGNIFICENT! *Laughs maniacally.*
23.jpg

Throgg put up a decent fight, but the hail of bullets were too much for him, his knees finally bend and he fell backwards. With the revolver hitting the ground with a loud clack.

cap.jpg
Jolly good, men! OH GODS! Here they come!

24.jpg

The execution did not escape Throgg's followers attention, and with a thunderous roar, they charged out of the factory, arms raised, demanding vengeance. But their edge is gone, they walked into the open. The guards opened fire.

25.jpg

The outcome was never in doubt. The the guards cheered as the charging orcs fell to the ground in pools of blood, gunpowder smell accompanying their last moments. The guards grimly reloaded their firearms as they went inside to clear the factory.

26.jpg

More gunshots followed from within.

27.jpg

It was over.

28.jpg

me.jpg
Oh, it was nothing, really.
29.jpg

me.jpg
Who's the gnome?
cap.jpg
Just some sympathizer, don't worry about it, lad. You're good in my book. Tarant needs more people like you.
me.jpg
You bet.

korenzel

Educated
I was worried Alain would see the error of his ways after the library revelation, but from how he dealt with the orcs, it doesn't seem so. Please continue RK47, this LP is definitely one of the best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom