Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's succeed a Dwarf Fortress! [Krash-ing for Fun!]

Destroid

Arcane
As fortune would have it, the beast appeared above the level of our flooding device, but was almost immediately struck down by mysterious forces.

Garf met his grizzly end during the Goblin Ambush of 253.
477514-RO7AL8Z.png

The completed expansion of the graveyard has resolved the ongoing hauntings, much to the pleasure of the populace at large, as the ghostly figure had taken to hanging out in the dormitory area of the fort. Crundles continue to harass our lower level workers, but they are no trouble for the militia to dispatch. Summer has arrived, along with the human caravan.

477517-QDZVNPY.png

23rd Galena, 253.

477525-0QM8IDC.png

A Golbin ambush once again. This time it is 5 Goblin bowmen and a single Goblin swordsmen. The Guards from the human caravan march out to meet them and I send the recruits with them. The Golbins charged recklessly through the traps at the mouth of the fort, firing arrows and killing several dwarves. The humans and dwaves fight side by side against the Goblins, battle ensues!

477544-31TS3NZ.png

: x

477538-2DSAEG1.png

A triumphant victory for the dwarves, slaughtering all six goblins at the cost of only a single member of the militia.

Destroid

Arcane
16th Timber, 253.

478250-2EOBT77.png

A new beast emerges to threaten Anusblaze. It is promptly killed and slaughtered for it's meat.

478265-K2JKBKX.png

The Dwarven caravan arrives and asks us to join their civilisation, and to nominate a condidate for the Barony of Anusblaze (or not, you can choose to remain independant at this stage but nobles are more 'fun'). The Master of Decline wisely nominates himself for the barony :smug:. We request that they bring metal bars in future so we can forge our own arms. We trade for a few weapons, pieces of armour and booze.

478281-Z02AU68.png

Here we see the goods that are in high demand from the Dwarven lands. The next administrator would be wise to produce these in high volume.

8th Opal. Now that the Master of Decline has joined the nobility he demands that proper accomodations are constructed for him. Private chambers, offices and a tomb are constructed, and their walls engraved with tales of past glories (some of them can be quite interesting, as they all pertain to events in the games generated history or while you play). A few dark gnomes attempted to steal the booze, but they were easily dispatched by the militia.

478321-QM6HI12.png

25th Obsidian brings ill tidings indeed, a double ambush of Goblins! We will stand no chance against such numbers in a direct confrontation so we will cower within our fort and only engage them with the militia if they first pass through the traps.
478361-VTGPOAF.png

And this is where I leave you. Spring has arrived once again, the Fort is surrounded by Goblin raiders, our Baron is miserable and stuck outside, wandering aimlessly in the hope that he does not meet a Goblin. Our militia cowers inside the entrance, not daring to move out for they will be down to a dwarf.

Hopefully our next player is more experienced and can handle this situation, if it's a new player I can play on till the Goblins are resolved if need be. I have forbidden collection of bodies etc so the dwarves should mostly go back inside. We are well stocked with food and drink.

Strike the Earth!

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Well, I guess it's time to say that I've been playing these days in my own fortress and I got three slaughters because the lakes froze in winter and I didn't have enough barrels to get drinks, they started dying of thirst, throwing tantrums and killing themselves :lol:

But fear not!! I shall save Codexia or drive it to it's own demise over the bones of my comrades!!

BTW, that's a messed up fortress layout :M

Krash

Arcane
Ok I downloaded the fort to check it out and holy shit that is a mess! There's unprocessed food everywhere, blood, grime, bodies, melancholic dwarves, questionable design and more - I love it (far more exciting than my OCD forts anyways). Destroid, would you be interested in a manager job at Helmmurders?

Berekän said:

You don't like the fort layout? I think I did most of it.

:(

In any case, the continued butchery will be very exciting indeed. And FFS, build weapon traps! Seriously, I can't emphasize that enough. Also, megaprojects!

Destroid

Arcane
Before I started this all I wanted to play was HoI3, but now I've absorbed all the new shit I wish to play DF, it is a conundrum.

Weapon projects are for Barons the value the lives of their subjects! I was planning to implement more cataclysmic switches that could demolish sections of the fort but I ran out of booze at one stage and had to deal with quite a few goblins ambushes. On the upside I took care of the ghost problem ;).

If the justice system has not changed in the last two years or so, sad dwarves + a sheriff and prisons can be pretty funny.

Oh, I learnt just before on the wiki that the dwarves won't use crossbows unless they have quivers, so build those and you will have 10 crossbows and plenty of bolts to use. I also think the militia is not set to train properly, but I haven't been back to look since I looked up how to do that.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Krash said:
Ok I downloaded the fort to check it out and holy shit that is a mess! There's unprocessed food everywhere, blood, grime, bodies, melancholic dwarves, questionable design and more - I love it (far more exciting than my OCD forts anyways). Destroid, would you be interested in a manager job at Helmmurders?

Berekän said:

You don't like the fort layout? I think I did most of it.

:(

In any case, the continued butchery will be very exciting indeed. And FFS, build weapon traps! Seriously, I can't emphasize that enough. Also, megaprojects!

Not that I don't like it, but it's taking me a while to find everything :P

Also, I never thought I would say this but I'm more comfortable with ASCII now, shouldn't have done the change.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Aargh, I died! But still, :salute: to Destroid! You survived through several more problems than I had!

Yeah, my forts are pretty OCD-like as well, so it was a bit of a shock to come to a fortress that someone else had started - though it did make it more interesting as well. Oh and unless Destroid fixed it, our ballista is useless as it has no ammunition :lol:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
3rd Granite, 254, Early Spring

So here I am! Just three days since the new year arrived and that damned 'Master of Decline' designated me to run the fortress in his names while he spends the day drinking booze! The lazy bastard! And what I am supposed to know of fortress management if I'm a simple hunter?

But seems like this could be a great opportunity to take advantage and do things the way they must be done! Let's take a look at our rooms for example, we're living like rats, without a simple container to store our things and so the rooms are full of crap on the floor! I will order the construction of cabinets for every room!

rooms.jpg

Of course the Baron must manage and accept all the building orders, but I will manage to make him sign them, maybe when he's drunk or something. Which takes us to the next thing, the Baron has mandated the construction of three splints, quite a strange whim if you ask me, but since our hospital is lacking crutches and splints amongst other things I will make another construction order for them.

hospital.jpg

So here are the papers done:

orders.jpg

There are other things that disturb me, for example that building/wall at the entrance of the fort:

strange.jpg

What the hell is that supposed to be? Anyway I have future plans for that thing, it might come us handy...

And finally, one of the things that I must do is give everyone the proper jobs, I've tried to focus everyone in specific tasks so they can do them to their fully potential:

workers.jpg

With things this way some dwarves are going to do works they haven't ever done but as they're only focused on them they should learn to do them really quick, there's probably a few things that could be changed and done better so I'll just ask the other dwarves what do they think.

Now, why the hell is everybody screaming out there?

Destroid

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
Yeah, my forts are pretty OCD-like as well, so it was a bit of a shock to come to a fortress that someone else had started - though it did make it more interesting as well. Oh and unless Destroid fixed it, our ballista is useless as it has no ammunition :lol:

I did make some ammunition, but I've no idea if we still have it or one of the dwarves fired it in practice or what.

Fortunately with DF now you don't need to know the minor details of where everything is, you can use the manager to get things done and therapist to resolve labour issues. Of course, when something goes wrong or gets destroyed you might have problems patching it back to functionality.

Krash

Arcane
Berekän said:
I'll just ask the other dwarves what do they think.

I'd say you need a lot more haulers. Many dwarfs can have both work and hauling on at the same time as long as their jobs aren't too pressing - for example I like to set all my farmers/brewers and farmers/cooks to do food and refuse hauling as well. On the other hand, those who do things like masonry, crafting and engraving don't get to do hauling because they'll be busy with that full time.

Destroid said:
I did make some ammunition, but I've no idea if we still have it or one of the dwarves fired it in practice or what.

Dwarfs use bone and wood and that crap when they train, and should save metal bolts for war, but archery's a bit buggy/moody atm so it's possible they've used them up anyways.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Krash said:
Berekän said:
I'll just ask the other dwarves what do they think.

I'd say you need a lot more haulers. Many dwarfs can have both work and hauling on at the same time as long as their jobs aren't too pressing - for example I like to set all my farmers/brewers and farmers/cooks to do food and refuse hauling as well. On the other hand, those who do things like masonry, crafting and engraving don't get to do hauling because they'll be busy with that full time.

Fair enough, we have more haulers now :thumbsup:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
12th Granite

The goblins are running outside slaughtering all the animals, it's too dangerous and too late to save them, so we station our troops inside and wait for them to come.

Waiting.jpg

Here they come!

Incoming.jpg

It's a hard fight, but we manage to win! Many of the goblins are killed but some of them also run away.

Surrounded.jpg

Fight1.jpg

Fight2.jpg

We haven't suffered any losses in the militia but some of our dwarves have been hurt very badly, the most serious hurt are Iton Datanestil, who lost his right upper arm and his left hand

Iton.jpg

Zasit Zansongkel, who lost his left lower leg

Zasit.jpg

Solon Medtobasrer, who lost his right hand and almost his left one

Shorast.jpg

Shorast Eshtanled, who lost his right foot

Shorast.jpg

And finally Cerol Gamilkeskal, who lost his left hand.

Cerol.jpg

If we keep fighting like this, we won't have enough room in our hospital, so I designate the dwarves to build some more beds in the hospital to attend the hurt.

26th Granite

Some explorers have returned from the caverns below the fortress and they bring no good news...

Mamgoz.jpg

Why is this happening to me?

Phelot

Arcane
:oops: Some how, reading these battle descriptions is more gruesome than actually seeing what is being described.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
5th Slate

The forgotten beast is quickly coming to the entrance to our fortress, looks like the fucker knows where to strike!

Blob%20Beast.png

Most of our militia is still recovering from our wounds, but we must send them to stop the beast all we can, the consequences of failing could be terrible! The stairs lead straight into the core of our fortress!

The militia is sent right before the graveyard, as the beast is just standing here, and all that remains when I take a look there is this scene.

Disappear.png

Le fuck? Let's check what our militia dwarves have to say...

le%20shit.png

So that was all? All it took to defeat that water-blob thing was a hit? Somehow I feel dissapointed...

6th Felsite

Recently a new wave of migrants has come to our fortress, just in time as we were lacking some dwarfpower since the recent goblin ambushes, in fact the migrants had to come over the rotting bodies of our fallen comrades, I don't know how's life in the rest of fortresses but it must be quite bad if they choose to stay here. There are 21 new dwarves.

As we have a lot of dwarves now, I think it should wise to set a small squad consisting of professional trained marksdwarves, to assist the militia when needed. Five dwarves should be enough for now

crossbows.png

Now they'll be training all the time, as we don't need them doing civilian jobs.

19th Felsite

An Elven caravan has come! Those nasty tree-huggers...

Elven%20caravan.png

I don't like dealing with them, but right now we're lacking wood, so I give them some crappy rock souvenirs in exchange of some wood. Also, they have a giant jaguar in one of those cages! Gods, I would be a moron if I did let that go, we now have him lurking throught our fortress, and will likely be a threat to all invaders.

27th Malachite

Not many interesting things have happened, we got a new wave of migrants, just eight this time, and some crazy dwarf created an artifact table, good for him I guess but I would've liked an artifact axe or something useful.

Also, there are lots of fucking dogs everywhere, better put them to something useful.

Training%20Pets.png

From now on, I'm making our rangers train all the dogs they can, we'll be needing two hunting dogs for each hunter, to assist them when needed, and all the remaining dogs will be trained for war, they should be useful as meatshields in the militia.

14th Galena

An unfortunate accident has striken Codexia today, I don't know exactly how it happened. I mandated the creation of arrows for the Ballista, as we were lacking ammunition and it would be useful when under attack, then one of the dwarves was loading the ballista when suddenly it got shot...

Ballista.png

There's nothing much left to say here, the poor fella got squashed by the giant projectile and we couldn't do anything for him, ashes to ashes...

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

MY DF JUST CRASHED AFTER 3 MONTHS UNSAVED, AND WITH A LOT OF HOLYSHITAWESOME THINGS HAPPENING

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
10th Sandstone

Today the explorers brought great news!! We just discovered a new cavern system underground with loads of Adamantine!!

adamantine.png

Things couldn't have gone better! The adamantine is the material dreams are made of! The best material for armor and the best material for slashing weapons!!

Precious%20adamantine.png

I'll send immediately some dwarves to gather it and take the needed steps to transform it in valuable weapons and armor.

20th Sandstone

Some more migrants came to our fortress, like eight of them. Damned foreigners.

18th Timber

Another goblin ambush!! Damn those bloody greenskins!

ambush.png

Luckily our fellow comrades from the capital were here trading with us and helped us take care of them. Also it was the perfect opportunity to use the reformed fortifications I made using that building of the entrance.

Fortificatoins.png

We killed some of the goblins and the rest managed to run away, this time we suffered a loss, poor Adil didn't stood a chance against them.

ADil%20death.png

28th Moonstone

Great news for our fortress!

county.png

Though that means that the baron... I mean count, is just going to whine a lot more about his rooms and his county mandates and lots of shit, thanks the Gods I am the brain behind everything.

2nd Obsidian

Another beast came to the doors of our village.

ettin.png

It made the mistake of trying to get past our main gate.

ettin%20attack.png

And it didn't stood a chance against our seasoned militia, numbers helped a lot though, here's the tale of the latest moments of the creature.

Ettin%20log.png

1st Granite

And here I go! I bid farewell to the mandate of Anusblaze!

status.png

That bastard of the count is becoming more paranoid every day, now he says I'm trying to take his power over Anusblaze and that I seek becoming the new count by killing him! What a fool! It's a hundred times funnier having a puppet like him in your hands.

Anyway, I can't do anything right now, he's already given my privileges to another dwarf. I will have to keep doing my own job, watching, expectating, until the day the fortress needs me again.

[SAVE]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom