Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's get famous in Darklands!

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Wow, I wonder which of my skills made for such a performance.

Speak common is the diplomacy skill, I think, and good looks+gender too count as a factor although that's not necessarily a good thing as it turns out.

Current status of the party while exploring some mines: Ashe died two times to a dwarven trap and I had to redo about 20 minutes of dungeon time because Theocrat got stuck in a wall :x

Edit & Question:
Anyone knows how to determine what is the best choice for a potion recipe? There are tons of recipes for the same potion only with different creator names at the beginning. I can't figure out which of them is better.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Most arabic recipes have 25 quality (except Avicenna's Essence o'Grace). Every recipe have three variants - 25q, 35q and 45q.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Thanks a bunch! The actual quality for the different formulas get mentioned in the manual so there is my rtfm lesson for today. :)

korenzel

Educated
Pussycat669 said:
Current status of the party while exploring some mines: Ashe died two times to a dwarven trap and I had to redo about 20 minutes of dungeon time because Theocrat got stuck in a wall
I also got stuck in a wall clearing the second level of a mine infested by Vulcans.

From my experience with the game so far, the balance is a little off. The first quest I was assigned was to take down a robber knight, and I got help from a 25yo knight that was my better in pretty much every way. High 30s' for each stat, more than 50 for weapons, religion and speak common skills... And he also had full plate mail armor, good thing he didn't want it back when he left after clearing the whole castle alone.

Then I got sent to fetch some silver mace and got ambushed by two bears ... according to the text. In combat, there was actually seven, and despite liberal use of fireball potions my ass was royally kicked.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
If you going for real questing, first objective should be slaying several raubritters and taking their armor.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
korenzel said:
From my experience with the game so far, the balance is a little off.

Quiet true, sadly :(

I decide to make a brief stop at the university in Erfurt before we return to Frankfurt.

z1.jpg

Trainer plz

z2.jpg

This should get Theocrat some well needed education and while we're at it...

z3.jpg
z4.jpg

Ashe is less fortunate.

z5.jpg

Let's burn some money!

z6.jpg

Winter has settled in while the two were studying.

z7.jpg

Incidentally not the best time to travel.

z8.jpg

Don't take risks here or it will cost you dearly.

z9.jpg

More events:
z10.jpg

z11.jpg

z12.jpg

and another encounter in the woods near Frankfurt. Bee yet again tries her charms. It works, sort of.

z13.jpg

There’s only one way to defend a lady's honour.

z14.jpg

The party is back in Frankfurt at last.

z15.jpg

z16.jpg

Now that we're already starting to become local heroes, we can risk to go after bigger fish.

z17.jpg

z18.jpg

It’s just another Raubritter. Yawn. The Frager pays quiet well however and our local reputation goes through the roof.

z19.jpg

We get one more audience but it's just another Raubritter quest. The hardest part is to find the right castle, really.

z20.jpg

During our travel back, the ox challenges a knight to a duel.

z21.jpg

z22.jpg

z23.jpg

z24.jpg

We blow off some steam with the local wildlife.

z25.jpg

Spring is finally coming.

z26.jpg

There is a shrine hidden in the woods. We donate some money in hopes to pimp our virtue.

z27.jpg

We might as well listen to some interesting rumours. These Raubritter quests are starting to get dull.

z28.jpg

Pass.

z29.jpg

This sounds more up our alley. But Theocrat still doesn't know how to make any decent healing potions so he looks for the alchemist in Frankfurt he is finally able to locate.

z33.jpg

Alchemists are cunts and I hate their guts. They can throw you out for the rest of the day just because you dare talking to them. This happens quiet a lot so I settled with doing a lot of reloads.

Upgrading the philosopher's stone. No idea what this one does yet.

z34.jpg

Trading formulas.

z35.jpg

Training.

z36.jpg

Theocrat still can't use any of his available formulas since every single one of them apparently requires at least one exotic component you need to hunt down. I ain't got enough patience for that.

z37.jpg

z38.jpg

z39.jpg

It’s a sign of things to come.

z40.jpg

Some other ugly encounters later, we finally reach the mines.

z41.jpg

z42.jpg

z43.jpg

At least two members are already beaten up but we try it anyways.

z44.jpg

Translation: cheat mode is on

z45.jpg

It's our first real dungeon with doors, traps and anything. This should be the point where you realize that the pathfinding ai sucks arse and either slows the game down to a crawl or just refuses to work outright. Best compromise for this I found was to let the group walk in a single file as often as possible but even then the party got stuck quiet a bit.

Anyways, onwards!

z46.jpg

They’re dogs out of rocks? :/

z47.jpg

This only happens when the party walks in a formation. We try to escape...

z48.jpg

z49.jpg

z50.jpg

z51.jpg

z52.jpg

z53.jpg

The dwarves know more ways to kill off Ashe though.

z54.jpg

z55.jpg

Those minor annoyances aside, we finally reach the door to the next level and get our skill upgrades.

z56.jpg

z57.jpg

Gosh, I suck at those. Uh... gold?

z58.jpg

Meh, Bee can handle it (just kidding, just kidding :P)
A few tries later...

z59.jpg

z60.jpg

z61.jpg

Demons eh? We can take it!

z62.jpg

Aha!

z63.jpg

... :retarded:

z65.jpg

I'll try to find all the curses for the giggles.

z66.jpg

z67.jpg

z68.jpg

The next side level is just some rooms with one chest (containing some much needed healing potions), many gargoyles and a secret door.

z69.jpg

z70.jpg

A tight hallway filled with all sorts of lethal traps? The ox says, bring it! :yeah:

z71.jpg

The passage only leads him in circles though. :rage:

z64.jpg

This is getting rather unpleasant. I also forget to take screenshot from one door riddle so this LP is now officially a fragment. :(

z73.jpg

Numbers! I can work with those!

1.jpg

z74.jpg

z75.jpg

Finding some chests we can now actually force open.

z76.jpg

z77.jpg

Our first contact with demonic forces:

z78.jpg

which is soon rewarded by our very first holy relic.

z79.jpg

Our first contact with the hardcore heathens:

z80.jpg

The ox dies way too easy in this fight so I check what's wrong.

z81.jpg

Crap, these explosive potions and traps really don't do your armour any good. I redistribute our gear then we try that again.

z82.jpg

Thought you might like some girl on girl action :P

z83.jpg

I really can't let go of this, sorry. Last door:

z84.jpg

z85.jpg

z86.jpg

I wish we would have more potions for this but maybe it will work out?

z87.jpg

Oh My God…

z88.jpg

You can't redo this quest once you've failed and no matter what I try, the demon horde overpowers us easily. I make the strategic error to reload a save before we enter the mines to gear up. Once I'm done, the mine already is no more. I probably should have just given up at the end so we would still at least have all the stuff from the mines but whatever. Quiet a frustrating waste of three hours playtime. I think we'll need to bring a little distance between us and the shame.

z89.jpg

This update is already getting too long again so I'll make a cut here but before that some minor spoilers.

z90.jpg

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Horrible deaths!
And we're big in Frankfurt already! Cool.

z13.jpg

I say we should've killed the bastards!

z58.jpg

z66.jpg

:rage:
Good thing the puzzles are easy. ;)

Pussycat669 said:
Thought you might like some girl on girl action :P

:P

Pussycat669 said:
You can't redo this quest once you've failed and no matter what I try, the demon horde overpowers us easily.

C&C! Shame, though.

And alchemy really sounds like a pain in this game.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Fowyr said:
Better Philosopher's stone helps to make potions.

You mean that it decreases the risks or are there other advantages?

@Bee
:love: for the bump and yeah, it is a pain but you appreciate it once a sunburst potion has saved your hide.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Pussycat669 said:
Fowyr said:
Better Philosopher's stone helps to make potions.

You mean that it decreases the risks or are there other advantages?
Afair, decreases the risks only. Quality of potion is determined by recipe.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
@MMXI
Yes, not sure but probably yes, yes and yes (I initially thought that the last one was about the arrangement of the letters. Boy, what a waste of time)

@Fowyr
I see, thanks again :)

I managed to delete a chunk of new screenshots together with the old ones, so this update will be a wee bit short and the group's first exposure to a Tatzelwurm is left undocumented, sadly. Other than that, we spent the rest of the year with killing Raubritter, training and this

z1.jpg

Cunt :x

Best saint acquired:
z2.jpg

With his aid, we are now able to skip gaining local reputation before going to the Rathaus and other important places.

z3.jpg

Anyways, here's enemy mine part deux. It actually has some attackable dwarves in it.

z4.jpg

There are also traps so lame that even we can spot them.

z5.jpg

Leaving the first area...

z6.jpg

z7.jpg

z8.jpg

We try diplomacy.

z9.jpg

z10.jpg

z11.jpg

I was honestly considering leaving it at that, fearing another fiasco like last time but then again, that guy is kind of a dick so...

z12.jpg

z13.jpg

Only one option left then.

z14.jpg

The next few levels are filled with dwarves and spiders. They're leagues below the demon's we had to face before so I'm starting to get optimistic.

z15.jpg

z16.jpg

z17.jpg

z18.jpg

z19.jpg

The fountain is just a spawn point for enemies. We run past it.

z20.jpg

Theocrat blows the thing up with a potion.

z21.jpg

The treasure doesn't appear in the inventory so we're left to hope that it still has some practical use.

Last door:
z22.jpg

z23.jpg

The treasure would be our assured ticket to victory but we rather take potshots at the midget.

z24.jpg

z25.jpg

Again, this is not even remotely as horrible as the demon pit. Once the monsters are defeated, the dialogue with the dwarf king is repeated until you succeed.

z26.jpg

z27.jpg

z28.jpg

z29.jpg

Quest complete!

z30.jpg

This quest has increased our reputation somewhat, too.

z31.jpg

I think we'll go after a dragon next to celebrate this group's second anniversary but we will probably want to stock up on potions first. Good thing we now have supplies. :D

Current roster
z32.jpg

z33.jpg

z34.jpg

z35.jpg

Bee is now a better fighter than the ox, random factor be damned :cry:

korenzel

Educated
Pussycat669 said:
Damn moody alchemists ! If potions were not so generally useful (for money making or on the battlefield), it wouldn't be worth coping with this.

What skill influences chances of success ? I can't get any more than 'fair' despite good SpK and SpkL, and my alchemist has even lower chances.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
You mean talking to those dicks? I think it's really just charisma and SpkC (Bee had the most success with them so far) but maybe intelligence and alchemy factors in as well. SpL is more important for visiting universities, me thinks.

Another quick update should be up tonight where many nasty things can (and do) happen to Bee and I find my first exploit which I shamelessly abuse.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
And here it is as promised:

The dragon leaves us a quiet obvious trail to follow.

z1.jpg

z2.jpg

Following the given path of rumours and burned down villages, Bee finds more opportunities to train her social skills.

z3.jpg

An ominous castle is standing at the road. We investigate...

z4.jpg

The farmers say that the landlord is a cool bro, so we pimp Bee with some divine charisma and demand an audience.

z5.jpg

We hear a whole different story in the neighbouring estate.

z6.jpg

This calls for justice!

z7.jpg

Bee tries to climb the wall but fails miserably. It's up to our holy man once more.

z8.jpg

The landlord fights and dies like your average Raubritter.

z9.jpg

We don't get any coins out of this, understandably, but at least our virtue is boosted a little.

There is a circle of burnt down villages with a cave in the centre. Our prey seems to be near.

z10.jpg

z11.jpg

Since there are no more traces to lead us, we visit one of the villages that were left intact in hopes that local rumours will get us back on track.

z12.jpg

z13.jpg

This can not stand!

z14.jpg

z15.jpg

Can't say we didn't try. We re-enter the village.

z16.jpg

Trying to talk our way out:
z17.jpg

Talking about the dragon:
z18.jpg

Riding/running away:
z19.jpg

Some time later, the villagers yet again want to sacrifice a maiden, so Bee has another go at it.

z20.jpg

The village doesn't get burned down after this so you can still return and get either the sacrifice or the ambush event. The first raises virtue and stealth while the second raises riding which is also nice. I spent a bit of time there to improve skills until I get bored and we move on.

Further north lies St. Joachimsthal, a small village without alchemists or monasteries. Pretty dull place except for one thing:
z21.jpg

We press on north where the real action is still waiting for us.

z22.jpg

It doesn’t take long before the dragon shows up.

z23.jpg

Chasing…

z24.jpg

Lizard diplomacy? I hope speak common covers that too. :/

z25.jpg

z26.jpg

C’mere, lizard! Mommy needs some new boots!

z27.jpg

Well, outch.

z28.jpg

Oh my… uh, sorry, Bee. :(

The confrontation has shown us that brute force won’t help us here, so we wander back to town and look through Theocrat’s recipe book. He has just the thing.

z29.jpg

Behold! Theocrat’s very first actual attempt at alchemy:
z30.jpg

z31.jpg

He gets the job done, eventually. We mow down some schrats while returning to the corrupted forest as Bee commanded.

z32.jpg

The dragon takes his sweet time to appear, so we experience some unpleasant effects while walking on cursed lands.

z33.jpg

Then he finally shows up and the story begins anew. We follow him to his lair but attack him right away after drinking our potions. The difference is quiet remarkable.

z34.jpg

z35.jpg

z36.jpg

Ka-ching! :yeah:
Only six levels away from legendary heroes now. I think we can consider this LP done once that happens unless the game decides to throw a main quest our way anytime soon. Right now though, let’s just enjoy some well earned recognition.

z37.jpg

z38.jpg

Current roster
z39.jpg

z40.jpg

z41.jpg

z42.jpg

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Cat, your previous LP was very good, but this one is even better. :love:
Good job in slaying the nasty dragon!

z3.jpg

This game's really cool in supporting things like that.

z15.jpg

:decline: Gosh I fail a lot in this update. At least the second rescue mission succeeded.

z28.jpg

And this... this.. oh my. :cry:

Pussycat669 said:
Only six levels away from legendary heroes now. I think we can consider this LP done once that happens unless the game decides to throw a main quest our way anytime soon.

Yeah, I was just about to ask: what's the goal of the game? Getting famous, that's all?
Also, my Streetwise skill doesn't seem to have improved at all since the beginning of the LP. I wonder why.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
@Bee
:love: as always.

Also, my Streetwise skill doesn't seem to have improved at all since the beginning of the LP. I wonder why.

I guess because it doesn't get used that often, mostly during illegal activities like sneaking into a city and we don't really have to rely on it anymore.

lightbane

Arcane
z28.jpg

Ouch, that gotta hurt.

z30.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Continue the lp please, I'm sure sooner or later you'll find the main quest

Ashery

Prophet
The fun part about the alchemy mishap in the inn is that the inn is actually destroyed/damaged beyond use and you can no longer rest there in that city.

MMXI

Arcane
I like the way that the dragon isn't just a single encounter but a variety of across its territory. It makes the dragon feel connected to the actual game world even though there isn't really a simulation on that sort of level.

More please!

:love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom