Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum - Summoner: Goodbye, Arcanum?

friartucksduck

Educated
:bravo:
Amazing! An Arcanum LP worth reading. Brilliant photos, exquisite plot, great pacing. Looking forward to a long and winding read.

ironyuri

I laughed fairly hard when I noticed the detective sub-plot. Pure genius.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Glad you guys liked it, padding it for next page...

RK47

Patron
00.jpg

We returned to Bates' Mansion that day, the old man's eyes filled with hope and his voice betrayed his excitement.

01.jpg

me.jpg
I shall return with the information you have requested.
bates.jpg
Oh, one more thing...I would like to purchase my ring back from you. I'd give you 200 gold. It would mean quite a bit to me, my father gave it to me before he died.
me.jpg
Certainly. Here it is.
bates.jpg
Much obliged. I will speak with you when you return.
me.jpg
Farewell.

Days later - Black Mountain Mines

02.jpg

me.jpg
That took us long enough.
virgil.jpg
I would advise great caution, sir. It does not look like the dwarves will give us a warm welcome.
me.jpg
Nonsense, Virgil. Why would they try to harm us? *Enters the cave.*

Moments later -

04.jpg

me.jpg
Well, this is interesting. All torches are not lit, and wolves plague the caverns. What do you think, Virgil?
virgil.jpg
They're not here anymore, sir. They might have moved away to someplace else, I know not.
me.jpg
Only one way to find out - onwards.
05.jpg

me.jpg
Curse these abominations!
06.jpg

me.jpg
Goddamn kites are there to spice up the scene, I suppose.
virgil.jpg
Sir, look! A dead gnome!
07.jpg

me.jpg
Interesting, in a dwarven mine? How unusual! *Kneels and searches the corpse.*
08.jpg

me.jpg
Uh oh.
virgil.jpg
What is it?
me.jpg
They're here. The Molochean Hand.
virgil.jpg
How did they-
me.jpg
I don't know, maybe they tailed us from the Bates' Mansion, doesn't explain how they get here first, though. Something killed him, stay on your toes, there may be more of them. Eh, looks like he's got some magical scrolls with him.
virgil.jpg
I recognize those runes sir, a scroll of Trap detection and an Exit scroll. Very useful.
me.jpg
Indeed. Let's move on, I see more bodies ahead, whatever killed them, must still be alive.

As soon as the party take another step forward, the nearby furnace grew brighter, with a loud hiss of smoke, a flaming abomination emerges!

09.jpg

me.jpg
I hate it when I'm right. I'll distract him! You guys hit it with all you've got!
10.jpg

virgil.jpg
Keep going sir, heavens! My sword is melting!
11.jpg

me.jpg
Well. We finally got him. Let's catch a break first and search these poor bastards' bodies. Help me strip off their good stuff.

Moments later...

virgil.jpg
That's the last of it. Shall we proceed, sir?
me.jpg
Right, let me summon...
12.jpg

me.jpg
OK, let's go.
13.jpg

me.jpg
Wolf ambush!!!

Try as they might, the wolves could not avoid a butchering from the demon's claws.
Three staircases greet the party. One they came before and another two next to it.

me.jpg
Let's take the next one.
14.jpg

me.jpg
Fucking nest of kites. Kill them all!
15.jpg

me.jpg
Too slow...HURRY UP!
16.jpg

The shrieks of the little beasts echoes in the caverns as the hasted demon tore through dozens of the hapless kind.
me.jpg
That's...the last of them..huff...you are...released!
17.jpg

virgil.jpg
Looks like a clear straight shot from here, this place seems like a main hall of some sort. And still no sign of any dwarves. Do you think they've died to these monsters?
me.jpg
No. That is too simple of a conclusion. There must be more. Let's head to that room behind the throne.
18.jpg

virgil.jpg
Odd, so many pools of blood on the path. Whose blood are they?
me.jpg
I think it's time to use this magical scroll.
19.jpg

me.jpg
Hah! I was right. It's laden with traps. Come, Virgil. The answer must lay at the end of this path!

3 minutes of cautious jog later...

20.jpg

virgil.jpg
This is insane, who would be lay so many traps in this mine? And for what purpose?
me.jpg
I'm guessing it wasn't the assassins. Ah! And there's our dwarf!
21.jpg

me.jpg
I don't understand. I'm only here to find the Black Mountain Clan.
dwarf.jpg
Betrayal it was. My self, the Clan of the Wheel, betrayers all! Sent to despair without hope for return! It was Stennar and the boy!...Stennar and Bates. We all paid the burden of shame.
me.jpg
Wait, who are you?
dwarf.jpg
Gudmund Ore Bender of the Mountains Black, I am, shamed, betrayer. But not! I did what must be done! I alone stood for the right! Yours is not to judge mine is the harshest judgment of all.
me.jpg
(I think he's lost it by now...) Where is your clan?
dwarf.jpg
Gone. Gone to their despair. An island of death and hate, the unholy place of judgment.
me.jpg
(An Island? Of Despair?) I don't understand what you are trying to tell me.
dwarf.jpg
Gaze upon the pillar of truth for your answers. Too long has my mind been consumed with my traps and those waiting for me to slip and show weakness. They are here, you know, waiting, hiding in the shadows.
me.jpg
(Holy shit.) So you have been down here 70 years, laying traps and waiting?
dwarf.jpg
My traps keep me safe, our homes must be protected to the end of days. Much evil afoot.
me.jpg
(Guess he'll kill more assassins coming here..) I can see I won't be getting much from you. Good day. Let's see that pillar...
22.jpg

I commit to stone my judgment on Loghaire and his clan, blinded in their madness to the extent they would allow the elves to force their hand. The day the Elves came, led by the warriors betrayers of the Wheel, was the day my destiny was writ upon the stone. Gudmund Ore Bender would never be banished by the hand of an elf, no matter what untrue judgment of guilt were handed down.

The voice of reason, usually so clearly heard by the dwarven kind, was shunned when it cried out to drive the human from our ancestral home. The Bates child sold the dwarven birthright to theworld. As he was the charge of Stennar, so must be the guilt.

This day shall be remembered for all the days of the Ore Bender. When the proudest of clans may be forced as sheep into a circle of banishment created by lowly elves, while warriors stand and do naught, the Ore Bender must reject all that his dwarven bones will him to do, as there must be one to stay and make record of this, the most evil of days.

I scream for my brothers to fight the unfair judgment of the Clan of all Clans, I scream at them still.

me.jpg
Looks like Mr. Bates did some pretty nasty stuff. That steam engine he stole started a big mess. Not sure how's he going to take this news. Still doesn't explain why the 'robed ones' demanded him to keep the Steam Engine origins a secret. Hey, dwarf. Who is Loghaire?
dwarf.jpg
Loghaire, leader of the Wheel Clan cast the Clan of the Black Mountains out. The elves must have bedeviled him with their magicks. They attempt to control my mind even now. I can feel them in here.
me.jpg
Why would dwarves let elves interfere in their affairs?
dwarf.jpg
Elves cowered in fear at the might of dwarven machine for eons past, waiting for their chance to set the dwarves upon themselves with the threat of war.
me.jpg
Your ramblings are confusing at best. What are you trying to say?
dwarf.jpg
I am trying to say what I am saying. I can waste no more energy on these things. My traps need all of my attention. Please leave.
me.jpg
Sigh, what should we do now, Virgil?
virgil.jpg
I've heard of this prison colony called the Isle of Despair, but I don't know how to get there.
me.jpg
We'll need a ship then. But first, we need to report back to Bates. Tell him what's he done. Can't wait to see the look on his face.
virgil.jpg
Try not to be too harsh on him, sir. He was young. Let's go...
me.jpg
You don't need to walk. We have this scroll, remember?
virgil.jpg
Oh, right.
23.jpg

me.jpg
Ahhh, magic! Let's head back to Tarant!

Tarant

me.jpg
Gosh, we earned a lot of coin from all that plunder in the Black Mountain, I think I deserve a reward!
virgil.jpg
Shall we head over to the magick shop, then?
me.jpg
Yes, Virgil. Let's.

Later...

24.jpg

me.jpg
This mage staff is perfect. This will allow me to use its energy as focus for my spells, sparing me from wasting my breath!
virgil.jpg
An excellent choice, sir!
me.jpg
*Grips the staff* I've made my decision, Virgil.
virgil.jpg
About what, sir?
me.jpg
Bates. We need to expose Bates.
virgil.jpg
But why?
me.jpg
Remember what he said? The "robed ones" wants him to keep the steam engine's origins hush-hush. I don't know why they want to do it, but if exposing Bates harm their cause, then so be it. I really want to know who these 'robed ones' are.
virgil.jpg
I'm behind you, sir. Just...be careful.

Later, at Bates' Mansion...
25.jpg

me.jpg
The dwarves were banished to the Isle of Despair because, uh...
me.jpg
(Eat this, old man.) Your callous betrayal and theft of their technology doomed them.
bates.jpg
You dare, sir? Must I school you in the proper manner with which to conduct yourself in society?
virgil.jpg
*Whispers* That wasn't wise, sir.
me.jpg
(I've had enough. Let's do this!) Please, attempt to school me as I give you a lesson in pain!
26.jpg

Hours later...

27.jpg

bruce.jpg
You alright, Jim?
jim.jpg
I...I..no-NO,I'M NOT!

Tigranes

Arcane
Detective plot is awesome :salute:

Time to go play Arcanum again, I thought I was done with it... never tried summoning magic, either.

Lindblum

Augur
Great stuff.

I really do enjoy your style.

Edit: I noticed you cut out the character creation part any reason?

RK47

Patron
Oh, I'll post his statistics later. I picked Nietzsche's background, 10% more EXP, higher critical failure rate, since I didn't use any weapon, I didn't need to worry.

RK47

Patron
Mood music - Jesper Kyd is awesome : Requiem

01.jpg

02.jpg

bruce.jpg
Door hinges broken. Multiple severed limbs. It was the same beast that broke into that gnome's house and his master is with him.
jim.jpg
Bruce, I..slow down. Give me something. A motive would help.
bruce.jpg
I can't say for sure, there's a broken chest at the edge of Bates' master bedroom. Whatever inside must be important, but...I don't see why the thief had to butcher his way around the mansion...
jim.jpg
Perhaps he wasn't a thief?
bruce.jpg
Yes, Jim. But how did he get in? The front gates weren't damaged. The guards were unharmed...unless...
jim.jpg
Teleportation?
bruce.jpg
It was an unplanned attack.
jim.jpg
What do you mean?
bruce.jpg
He wasn't the attacker this time.
jim.jpg
Bates is dealing with this sort of monster? For what purpose?
bruce.jpg
I don't know, but I know for sure they were discussing important matters when...
03.jpg

bruce.jpg
...something went wrong.
04.jpg

bruce.jpg
He knew he couldn't stop. It was killed or be killed. Bates thought his guards could handle it. He was dead wrong. The fight was over so quick that the first floor never even heard the commotion except a few dull thuds of bodies falling onto the floor. Then...
05.jpg

bruce.jpg
He broke into the bed room, and scavenged what he could before heading to the first floor.
06.jpg

jim.jpg
I don't get it. Why is he fighting his way inside instead of out?
bruce.jpg
I don't have the answer yet...
07.jpg

bruce.jpg
...let's just follow the bodies for now.
08.jpg

jim.jpg
Urk. At least the servants are unharmed.
09.jpg

bruce.jpg
The servants weren't trying to stop them. Come, the door's open. This way.
10.jpg

jim.jpg
Dead end. What now?
bruce.jpg
No. The trap door. Let's open it.
11.jpg

jim.jpg
Looks like we're on the right trail, Bruce. Look, a broken gate. Let's go. Maybe they're still close by! *Runs ahead*
12.jpg

bruce.jpg
Jim, considering it's been hours since the murder I find it highly...*Explosion*
13.jpg

bruce.jpg
Jim!
jim.jpg
Heh, heh...*winces* they got me, kid...
14.jpg

bruce.jpg
No! Someone get a doctor!

Elsewhere in Tarant...
15.jpg

me.jpg
Not so fast. This is worth quite a bit of coin.
apple.jpg
I will give you 500 coins for the journal. Please, hand it over.
me.jpg
That's not very much for the Bates' personal journal, is it?
16.jpg

virgil.jpg
Sir, it's best we settle this business as soon as we can, the authorities...
me.jpg
Okay, okay. Here it is!
apple.jpg
I can't wait to sell this to the newspapers! Hah! It's all right here, how he stole the engine from the hapless dwarves...
me.jpg
Look, I'll leave you to your drooling. Good day. Which way to the docks, Virgil?

Moments Later, at the docks...

17.jpg

me.jpg
Why? What sort of place is it?
sailor.jpg
They say that no one has ever left the isle and lived. The bodies of those who've tried, wash ashore on the morning tide..
me.jpg
I really must reach the isle.
sailor.jpg
Ye must be truly be daft! Well...try looking in Ashbury. Mebbe you'll find another as daft as ye be. Argh..Now stop wastin' me time!
me.jpg
Can I get passage to Ashbury then?
sailor.jpg
Bah! Dern steam rails made sure me ship was of no use to Ashbury! That damnable contraption will be the death of me yet! Mark me words!
me.jpg
Fine, I guess we'll take the steam engine. Let's go, Virgil!

Elsewhere in Tarant...

19.jpg

bruce.jpg
So...the passage leads here...
18.jpg

bruce.jpg
a guard spotted them exiting the tomb and was slain on the spot.
dick.jpg
Holy bloodbath, Mr.Wayne! Who could do this in broad daylight?
bruce.jpg
What's your name, constable?
dick.jpg
It's Dick, sir. Dick Grayson. This murderer you're after..I bet he's escaping right now out of Tarant!
bruce.jpg
Indeed, you're probably right. I've got to catch him before he can...*A distant sound of steam engine's whistle caught his attention.* Vermillion Station!

Vermillion Station, at that moment...

20.jpg

me.jpg
I'd like to reserve two seats to Ashbury please.
ticket.jpg
Excellent! But first, company rules require that I ask you the following questions. Answer honestly, your safety and the safety of those who travel with you will depend upon it.
me.jpg
Certainly.
ticket.jpg
Are you, or is any member of your party, a practitioner of magick, elven or of elven heritage?
me.jpg
Yes.
ticket.jpg
What best describes the most magickal member of your party?
me.jpg
Practitioner of high complexity magic, of course.
ticket.jpg
Thank you for answering the questions! You're going to be required to travel in the Mage's Caboose. The conductor will assist you with boarding.
me.jpg
Alright. Here's the gold...
ticket.jpg
That's 150 gold. Thank you, sir. The platform is to your left. Have a safe trip, sir.
21.jpg

me.jpg
Hello. Are you the conductor?
station.jpg
Well. Yes Sir, I am a conductor that's true. But at this end of the train we take the magickal passengers so I am called the Mage's Caboose Conductor. Just to keep things straight. Can I be of assistance?
me.jpg
I'd like to board the train.
station.jpg
Please wait a moment while I check your reservations.
22.jpg

bruce.jpg
YOU! Where is the next train departing to?
train.jpg
Ashbury, sir.
bruce.jpg
I must hurry! The Mage's Caboose!
23.jpg

bruce.jpg
Somebody stop the train!
station.jpg
I'm sorry sir, you have no authority to do that. It's too late, anyway, the train's already departing.
bruce.jpg
Damn you!
24.jpg

Inside the train...

virgil.jpg
That was close. I think I saw a constable running towards the train as we depart.
me.jpg
Heh, they'll never catch up to us now.
virgil.jpg
Best we lay low for a while, sir. I still can't believe we've killed THE Gilbert Bates!
me.jpg
Why don't you tell the whole caboose about it, Virgil?
virgil.jpg
Oops. I'm sorry. I'll shut up for now...

RK47

Patron
Very, very ordinary statistics at level 12.
Background is Nietzsche's Child +10% EXP earned while increased failure rate. Who cares? I can't even swing a weapon without killing myself!

25.jpg

Four points into Summoning for Hellgate
Two points on Mental for Stun
Three points on Temporal for Haste

2 Fate Points earned - I got 1 from killing Gilbert Bates & another from giving the journal to Appleby.
Not sure how I would spend them.

The ring of virility I lifted off the dead gnome gave me +2 CON Bonus, hence I decided to just pump 2 points further to bump Heal Rate to +4.

Willpower will remain at 15.
Charisma is +1 after the gypsy blessing. I'm not sure if I want to make Gilford a charismatic bastard, I have 2 points upgrade free at the moment, we'll see what happens at level 15.

Lindblum

Augur
You murdered Bill Gat...Gilbert Bates and sold his secrets to Steve Jo... Appleby.

Now you even have Batman and Robin on your tail great!

korenzel

Educated
RK47 said:
2 Fate Points earned - I got 1 from killing Gilbert Bates & another from giving the journal to Appleby.
Not sure how I would spend them.

Use one to open the safe in the museum, I forgot what it contained but remember it was the only way.

RK47

Patron
Ashbury

me.jpg
Ahh, here we are. Ashbury, what do you know about this place, Virgil?
01.jpg

me.jpg
Oh, well. Let's check out the docks for any ships to take us to the Isle of Despair, then. Hmm..what's this?
02.jpg

me.jpg
Such a huge graveyard! My word, is that an undead prowling about? Come on, Virgil! I want to investigate this.
virgil.jpg
Why would anyone want to do that?
03.jpg

me.jpg
Ashbury is more interesting than you think. You there, any rumors about in Ashbury I may know about?
04.jpg

me.jpg
That'll come in handy if I need more treasures. (Always do.)
virgil.jpg
Sir, it's getting late, perhaps we should head over to the inn and visit the graveyard in the morning...
me.jpg
Nonsense, where's your sense of adventure? Oh hello, are you the caretaker of this graveyard?
13.jpg

me.jpg
I am Alain Gilford. What are you doing out here?
geoff.jpg
I'm tending to my own business, that's what I'm doing. *Rolls his eyes at Alain* I swear...the manner of the peasantry...
me.jpg
(Dick) How droll. I'd almost think you possessed a sense of humor...
geoff.jpg
*Laughs heartily* Perhaps you're not as ignorant and bland as you look, stranger. You've at least the brain power to conceive an amusing response. Nicely done...you're not the barbarian upbringing I expected.
me.jpg
And what is YOUR background, Geoffrey?
geoff.jpg
Mine? Oh, the usual...raised in Caladon, schooled in Tarant, summers off the coast of Cattan. I'm of the Falsburg Tarrelond-Ashes, if you must know that sort of thing. I spent a few years in Tulla, among the old wizards...bloody boring bunch of old codgers.
me.jpg
I see. Which college of magick did you study?
geoff.jpg
Oh...I dabbled in the necromantic arts, mainly on the darker side..a little of this and tht. I've a job waiting for me in Tarant with one of the newer mage consortiums, if I've ever a mind to go there...
me.jpg
Interesting. So just what are you doing HERE?
geoff.jpg
Haven't you heard? Ashbury has a problem with its cemetery. Seems they've got bloody zombies just sprouting up from the ground every night, and nobody knows why. I just happened to be travelling through here on my way back to Caladon, and I thought I'd look into the matter..
me.jpg
What do you think the problem is?
geoff.jpg
*Leans toward Alain* Well, just between you and I, there's quite a famous individual buried here in the Ashbury graveyard. A fellow by the name of Malachi Rench who was quite a necromancer in his time...wrote a few controversial texts, that sort of thing...
me.jpg
But if he's dead?
geoff.jpg
Yes,yes...I'm getting to that. I think the old chap was buried with sometihng...something powerful, and whatever it is finally got out and now every dead John and Barry in this town is coming back to dinner! Hah! Quite a good story, if that's your cup of tea...
me.jpg
And so?
geoff.jpg
And so I want whatever the hell is down there! And I plan on finding out, just as soon as I can figure out a way to get rid of these bloody zombies.
me.jpg
Perhaps we could work together on this?
geoff.jpg
Yes..*Looks Alain over* Yes, you might be useful after all. I'd be willing to offer you 500 gold pieces for whatever is raising these zombies. Let's get to work, then.
14.jpg

The mausoleum looks like the most obvious place to search. We dash past the undead and found a trap door leading down to a series of catacombs.

15.jpg

me.jpg
Goddamn, I'm starting to remember P.Schuyler's basement!
16.jpg

me.jpg
More undead, guess we're getting closer to the source.
17.jpg

me.jpg
Wait...let me take a look at it first...
geoff.jpg
*He steps closer, anger in his eyes.* Sorry, old boy. That wasn't part of the agreement. Now hand over the gem and this won't have to get uncivilized.
me.jpg
Oh well, fine. We did have an agreement. (One wrong step and he'll be the one kissing the dirt, anyway.)
geoff.jpg
*He hands over the money, turning the gem over in his hands* Thank you ever so much. This will come in handy, I'm sure. Say...perhaps we should continue on together? You're quite tolerable, once a chap gets to know you...
me.jpg
Sure, Geoffrey. I guess I could put up with you a while longer...
geoff.jpg
Jolly good! It will be a regular adventure! And it will do me some good to "rough it" for a while. Onward!

Y'know, Geoffrey could be an overpowered build if the AI plays it right, Fire and Necromantic spells means he's capable of spamming Harm and lobbing Fireflash at tight groups of enemies while putting up a Force Shield on himself. But....the AI is overly stupid about it. He'll go into melee (With zero melee skill), get in trouble, retreat, then summon an undead, before putting a shield around himself. *Facepalm* Eventually, he'll learn Body of Fire as well. The mind boggles. Anyone can recommend an AI script fix?

It was night when the party emerge from the catacombs. The undead on the surface rests peacefully after the gem was removed.

me.jpg
I'd say this is a good time for a drink, friends. Know anything about the town, Geoffrey?
geoff.jpg
Ashbury? Two words...OLD PEOPLE. Of course, there's quite an interesting castle not far from here...I seem to remember something about it being haunted. Just my sort of thing..heh..heh.
me.jpg
I'll keep that in mind if we need some adventure then. Heard of the Isle of Despair?
geoff.jpg
The Isle of Despair? Well of course, who doesn't? It's just off the eastern coast...here, I'll mark your map with it. Not that it's going to do you any good...there's no way to gether there, seeing how it's a prison colony. Not exactly the kind of place you go for holiday...
me.jpg
Right, let's find ourselves a watering hole. Drinks are on me.
18.jpg

me.jpg
The Meager Draught...sounds like an inviting place.
virgil.jpg
Careful sir, they could be about...
geoff.jpg
Are you being hunted?
me.jpg
Something like that...why, worried?
geoff.jpg
Mmm-hmmm. What's a little excitement? Heh heh.
me.jpg
That's right. *Enters the tavern.* Why hello there, any news in Ashbury of late?
19.jpg

me.jpg
I SERIOUSLY recommend you apologize to me, sir...
cloak.jpg
*Looks at Alain, assessing his strength.* Apologize? To a weakling like you? That would be the day, sir. No, I think you've got this one coming.
me.jpg
Fine. It's your death, fool!
20.jpg

me.jpg
Just remember whom you face in your last living moments, fool! Behold! HELLGATE!
21.jpg

me.jpg
Much apologies, bartender. Some drinks please.

Later...

me.jpg
We must be near docks...mmm. What's this? A small market stall?
22.jpg

me.jpg
Let's take a look, shall we?
23.jpg

me.jpg
Ahh, these look useful. Gloves of Dexterity. I'll take two pairs of them. What's that small statue you have?
geoff.jpg
It's an elven offering, worthless.
me.jpg
I have the gold. I'll take a piece of that as well.
virgil.jpg
Sir, it's getting late. Perhaps we should get some accommodation for the night?
me.jpg
Right, Virgil. *Fits the gloves.* Nice. Oh, what's this?
24.jpg

virgil.jpg
Poor thing. It seemed to have been beaten repeatedly.
geoff.jpg
Tch, just a worthless mutt.
me.jpg
*Kneels over the corpse.* I used to have a dog once. I used to call it Hailey. One day a cart ran over it...
virgil.jpg
I'm sorry to hear that, sir...
me.jpg
We couldn't afford to treat that dog back then, but now...
geoff.jpg
By the gods! Are you serious? It's just a dead mutt!
me.jpg
*Glares.* Do you want me to order it to tear your throat out once I bring it back to life?
geoff.jpg
What? I...uh...Do whatever you want!
virgil.jpg
Sir, resurrection scrolls are VERY expensive. I'm afraid my spell mastery hasn't quite reach those levels yet...
me.jpg
I care not, Virgil. Here's the gold. Buy it. I'll wait here.
virgil.jpg
Aye, sir.
25.jpg

me.jpg
*Opens the seal on the scroll.* I'm sorry that life is cruel on you, proud beast. You deserve much rest..yet...
26.jpg

me.jpg
*Invokes the spell* You did not have the luxury to choose your moment of death. Now I offer you that choice. Arise...
27.jpg

me.jpg
...Ghostdog!
28.jpg

me.jpg
Come!

The canine eyes look at its new masters lovingly.

me.jpg
You owe me your life. You know that?
dog.jpg
Woof, woof!
me.jpg
Good.

RK47

Patron
01.jpg

bruce.jpg
We're too late, Grayson. That Ashbury bartender's right about our man.
dick.jpg
This island, it's just a prison colony, isn't it? Why did he..?
bruce.jpg
*Examines the corpses.* Perhaps I was too rushed in my conclusion. These men weren't butchered by the demon. Blades were used in their killing. And their tracks came from the small prison compound over there...
dick.jpg
So they were trying to get onboard a ship?
bruce.jpg
Yes, before they were stopped. Come, let's head onwards to this compound...
02.jpg

dick.jpg
This one's maimed. His left arm's torn off. Holy reaper, Bruce.
bruce.jpg
So he was here. Interestingly, the blow is from the back...the victim was facing towards the coast...
03.jpg

dick.jpg
More dead...even this woman wasn't spared.
bruce.jpg
Eliminating witnesses perhaps? I know how this man works, he'll only kill the necessary. Judging from the amount the pool of blood on the female's corpse...she died first.
dick.jpg
Oh?
bruce.jpg
My pocket watch's reacting to the traces of summoning magic used. He called the demon at this spot. This is where the slaughter begins.
04.jpg

bruce.jpg
Leading into this building...you go to the other building, see if there's any survivors..I'll be inside.
dick.jpg
Alright, Bruce.
05.jpg

dick.jpg
I think the rest of the denizens escaped elsewhere in the island. No more corpses, though.
bruce.jpg
It would appear the slaughter ends here. At this dwarf here, possibly the self-appointed leader of this small prison colony. Once he dies, the rest falls into anarchy.
dick.jpg
So he's the quarry of the murderer?
bruce.jpg
I fear we're staring at a dead end here...
dick.jpg
What do you mean, Bruce?
bruce.jpg
Appleby exposed Bates' steam engine origins the day after the murder. If the story is true, it might be a political motive, after all. But why murder an exiled dwarf? I cannot pursue this lead further, we've lost contact with the dwarven kingdom for so long...
dick.jpg
...and that loss of contact coincides with the "invention" of Bates' steam engine! Holy copycat, Bruce!
bruce.jpg
It still doesn't explain the chain of murders in Tarant. The trail's gone cold. Let's go.

Hours before...
06.jpg

me.jpg
You're a bit of the long winded type, aren't you?
bogg.jpg
Why must you insult me? Have you no propriety, sir?
me.jpg
Apologies, madam. You've been here for your whole life?
bogg.jpg
Yes. It was not a bad life, as it were, until my mother died last year. She kept the worst of it from me. Since her passing I have become abused and treated like common property.
me.jpg
As it should be. Women are nothing more but property.
bogg.jpg
I did not realize you were one of 'them', sir. I have nothing more to say to you.
me.jpg
You'll treat your superiors with respect, or I'll give you what for!
bogg.jpg
Are you threatening me? I warn you, I may seem like a genteel, helpless woman, but I've had to fight to survive here, dog! Leave me be you fool. I've nothing more to say to you.
me.jpg
Is that so? I intend to test your defensive skills, harlot!
07.jpg

me.jpg
Die!
virgil.jpg
It appears the rest of the prisoners do not take kindly to you killing off their only source of female companionship, sir...
me.jpg
Then they'll die as well!
08.jpg

me.jpg
Out of my way, fool!
geoff.jpg
I'm beginning to enjoy this little exercise, heh heh.
09.jpg

me.jpg
Anyone else want some? No? Pfft. Let's find the Black Mountain clan. Hmm, door's locked...the ogre doorman should have the key...
10.jpg

me.jpg
I'm looking for the dwarves of the Black Mountain Clan.
thor.jpg
There have never been any Black Mountaineers here. No dwarves other than myself.
me.jpg
What about you? Are you not of the Black Mountain Clan?
thor.jpg
Are you an idiot? What does any of this have to do with the Black Mountain Clan? I am not one of them.
me.jpg
So where are they?
thor.jpg
Any fool knows that the Black Mountain Clan resides in the northernmost region of the Stone Wall mountains. Any fool but you, obviously.
me.jpg
Watch your tongue! Or I will cut it out!
thor.jpg
I've had enough of this. No more talk! *Attacks*
me.jpg
Suits me just fine! Kill him.
11.jpg

me.jpg
Fool. *Searches the dwarf's corpse.* There must be some answers. It can't be that the whole Clan gone missing overnight!
virgil.jpg
Perhaps he's telling the truth, sir.
me.jpg
Interesting pair of glasses he has here...and a key. I bet it unlocks his strongbox. *Tries the key* Yes! A journal. Let's get some answers.
12.jpg

13.jpg

me.jpg
I think...he's telling the truth.
virgil.jpg
The Black Mountain clan was not here?
me.jpg
No, but I know who can answer that question. Remember what mad dwarf in the mines told us, Virgil? Loghaire of the Wheel Clan. I know where to find him now. And he better have some answers. We're finished here. Let's go.
14.jpg

me.jpg
Whoa. what's with all these bodies?
15.jpg

me.jpg
Nicely done, Cap'n. Let's get out of here...

Radisshu

Prophet
Damn. The best Codex LPs are definitely starting to rival the best SA LPs.

RK47

Patron
me.jpg
Okay, I've decided. Let's investigate that ancient temple that folks at Ashbury kept whispering about.
virgil.jpg
Really, sir? Why not do that after this whole Wheel clan business is settled?
geoff.jpg
Disregard dear Virgil's opinion, Gilford. I concur that we investigate that temple. Who knows what sort of ancient magic we can discover down there...
dog.jpg
Arf!
me.jpg
Three to one, Virgil. You lose.
virgil.jpg
*Sighs*
16.jpg

me.jpg
The journey was unremarkable...
17.jpg

me.jpg
The welcome was expected...but the descent, revealed something unexpected...
18.jpg

geoff.jpg
Uh..yes..Hullo there, friend. Might I speak with you a moment?
me.jpg
Yes, Geoffrey?
geoff.jpg
Yes...this place, this temple...I think I know what it is..
me.jpg
Well...out with it..
geoff.jpg
Well...we don't talk about it much. Necromancers, I mean. The symbol there, the eagle with the snake's head, that's the symbol of the Derian-Ka...
me.jpg
Who were the Derian-Ka?
geoff.jpg
They were a secret order of dark necromancers.formed during the Age of Legends. The darker arts haven't always been so well-received, and so they used to practice their magicks in secret. I wasn't aware that they actually haad a temple. *He looks around, a slight shiver goes through him.* A bit spooky, if you ask me...
me.jpg
(Fascinating.) What else do you know about them, Geoffrey?
geoff.jpg
Heh...sorry, but it's not something I talk about frequently. It's kind of an "old boys" affair, if you get my meaning..fraternity oaths, and all that.
me.jpg
I see. You're as helpful as ever, Geoffrey. *Roll eyes*
geoff.jpg
Always glad to be of service.
19.jpg

The monstrosities the party faced deep within the temple left no doubt of the necromancy at work.

20.jpg

But there was much to gain from the treasures...

21.jpg

And mysteries to be solved.

22.jpg

me.jpg
An altar of offering. Seems to be asking for a black diamond. Going to be hard to find.
virgil.jpg
Best not to mess around with old rituals, sir.
me.jpg
Come..there's much more to find beneath this temple..

23.jpg

Ancient library was plundered and valuable scrolls were found.

24.jpg

As well as enchanted equipment of old. Liberated from its guarded containers. Yet the most surprise came from the last room itself...

25.jpg

me.jpg
(An undead speaks to me?) What? Who are YOU? Are you alive? A spirit...?
dead.jpg
Ahhh...the voice..of the living...*It sighs, a sound like the crumbling pages of an old tome* So..long..it's beeenn...
me.jpg
Again...what are you?
dead.jpg
Warrior in the army..of ..the dead. Currrsssssed...death...with..no...releaaaaseee...Life...beyond this wasted flesh...
me.jpg
(His bones..no flesh remains...how is it possible?) What happened to you? What curse do you speak of?
dead.jpg
This...temple...a..home..to the Order. Speakers....commune...dancing with the..dead. They..brought..us back to ..sever..the..Hand..So very long ago...
me.jpg
I don't understand. Sever the hand? Whose?
dead.jpg
Lisssstennnn...*The voice grew faint.* Travel north..to the cave.. Find the Pool...bring..back..the..blood...*He points to a place on the map.* Pleeeeeeaseeeeee...I...want...to..liiiiveeee...
me.jpg
Dragon's Blood? For real? I don't know...Hey!

The skeleton whispers several words that the party cannot make out.

me.jpg
There's only one thing left to do then.
virgil.jpg
I don't know about this, sir. He looks...ancient. Are you sure bringing him back to life is a good idea?
me.jpg
The amount of ancient knowledge he possess...he must've been down there for hundreds of years at least! What do you think Geoffrey?
geoff.jpg
Uh...do as you like, I..I just want to be out of here.
me.jpg
Hmph. Let's go get that Dragon's Blood, shall we?

26.jpg

Before the party continues towards the Dragon's Blood, they made a short trip to Ashbury to sell their gotten loot and identify several powerful artifacts.

me.jpg
Amazing. That trip was so worth it! And that ancient spirit is just icing on the cake! Let's go!

In the midst of the journey...

27.jpg

me.jpg
Hmph. Don't make me laugh. That bourgeois pig got what he deserved!
28.jpg

29.jpg

me.jpg
Must've been an associate of Bates...hiring these bounty hunters to kill me...
geoff.jpg
Bates. THE Gilbert Bates? Renowned Technologist of Tarant?
me.jpg
Aye. I killed him.
geoff.jpg
You...you WHAT?!
me.jpg
Is there going to be a problem?
geoff.jpg
ABSOLUTELY..not! Good show, doing your part for us mages!
virgil.jpg
We need to stay on our toes, sir. Someone must've told them about you..
me.jpg
First the assassins, and now this. *Thinks for a moment.* Appleby! He'll pay for this!

The party continues their journey towards the place of Dragon's Blood...

30.jpg

geoff.jpg
Another hole on the ground? How exciting!
31.jpg

me.jpg
Not sure if the blood is still here, but hey, the chance of finding some old treasures..worth it!

The party fought past some of the ancient guardians and stumble upon a dried pool...

32.jpg

me.jpg
Hmm. Completely dry. We need to go deeper.
33.jpg

virgil.jpg
Let's hope there's even a pool that isn't dry at the end of this trip.
me.jpg
Stay focused.
34.jpg

me.jpg
I see it! There! Charge!

They were victorious.

34a.jpg

me.jpg
Dragon's Blood. *Scoops a vial* Think it's the real deal?
geoff.jpg
Why, yes..I've tasted dragon's blood before.
me.jpg
*Stares and holds the vial at Geoffrey.*
geoff.jpg
I was just jesting with you!
me.jpg
Ah well, only one way to find out...

The party made the journey back to The Ancient Temple...when suddenly...

35.jpg

me.jpg
What? Who are you?
arronax.jpg
Don't you know? Are not you the reincarnation of Nasrudin? Has it been so long that you don't recognize your old nemesis? Or perhaps you are not the Living One after all..merely a puppet playing his role..
me.jpg
(It can't be..) Ah. You must be Arronax...
arronax.jpg
So..you remember me, do you Nasrudin? Do you remember what I did to your pathetic Elven Council? Do you remember when all of Arcanum shook before my power? Be warned...they will do so again. I have to bring you a message...
me.jpg
*Glances at Virgil momentarily.* And that message is?
arronax.jpg
The message is this: whether you are the Living One or not. Whether or not the coward Nasrudin hides in your bone or still rots in his grave, the inevitable will still come to pass. I am returning. It has already been set in motion, and there's nothing you can do about it. I am returning, and all will fall before me. Everyone you know...everyone you love...
me.jpg
You bastard! Face me as a warrior!
36.jpg

me.jpg
(Shit.) ARRONAX!
37.jpg

me.jpg
Can't...move...my strength..leaves...me. Damn it.
38.jpg

virgil.jpg
Sir, are you alright? It's him, isn't it?
me.jpg
I know. We'll get him. Wheel clan, right after this.
virgil.jpg
*Nods.*
geoff.jpg
I'm starting to wonder if I'll die from all this excitement...
dog.jpg
Woof!
geoff.jpg
Yes, yes, yes. Let's get moving shall we?
me.jpg
(The Prophecy is true after all. Could it be? I am..the Living One?)

Later...at the ancient temple.

39.jpg

me.jpg
What will happen? What exactly is going on here..
dead.jpg
Use the blood...on...me...
me.jpg
Fine. *Splashes the contents of the vial on the skeleton.*
40.jpg

me.jpg
His flesh..reforming?!
41.jpg

me.jpg
Who are you?
torian.jpg
*He looks at Alain, surprised, as if he's forgotten Alain was there.* Me? I am...Torian Kel, Warlord in the Gray Legion of the Derian-Ka. *He looks around, at both Alain and the surrounding temple.* How many years has it been..? All of this, and you..so unfamiliar..
me.jpg
I don't know...how long were you like that?
torian.jpg
I..I don't know. I was a warrior, raised from the grave to serve in the undead legions of the Derian-Ka. We fought a great battle with the...what was it? So many years ago, and I am all that is left. *A great sorrow passes over his features.* Alone, so alone...
me.jpg
Torian Kel...I have many questions. Might you answer them?
torian.jpg
*He shakes himself, turning to Alain.* Forgive me, I owe you a debt of gratitude. *He holds an arm over his breast, bowing slightly.* What question did you have?
me.jpg
I had some questions about the Derian-Ka...
torian.jpg
What would you like to know about the Derian-Ka?
me.jpg
Who were they?
torian.jpg
The Derian-Ka was the ancient Order of the Dead, formed by the disciples of the great necromancer, Kerghan, in the years following his banishment. They were a secret ancient society, unknown for years, who practiced the arts of Dark Necromancy...
me.jpg
Why was it so secret? What were they doing?
torian.jpg
*He looks at Geoffrey, bowing slightly.* Perhaps you should ask your companion. He is of the Derian-Ka...I can sense it. Greetings, sir...
me.jpg
Uh..Geoffrey? What's he talking about?
42.jpg

me.jpg
(Unfuckingbelievable.) I see...
geoff.jpg
Yes...listen here. I know a little about the Gray Legions. You might want to think about stepping carefully around this fellow...remember, they were raised for one purpose and one purpose only...
me.jpg
Yeah, Geoffrey. I'll consider that.
geoff.jpg
I think that would be advisable, friend. And whatever happens, don't ask the old chap to come along with us! I mean, I like a good reanimation as much as the next man, but REALLY...it's so gauche to travel with the undead. And I really don't trust him, in any case...
me.jpg
(Jeez, he's so paranoid all the sudden.) *Turns back to Torian Kel.* Hmmm. So, Torian Kel..you were speaking of the Derian Ka?
torian.jpg
Perhaps things are different now, but the practice of the dark necromantic arts was forbidden for many years. The Derian-Ka lived among the shadows for centuries, wielding their dark magicks behind locked doors, uncovering the secrets of the spirit worlds..soul-poisons, the raising of the undead, *He points to himself* spekaing with spirits beyond the grave.
me.jpg
What happened to them?
torian.jpg
There was a great schism in the Order. Within the Derian-Ka were an order of assassins. They were called the Molochean Hand, and for centuries they were the silent weapon of the Derian-Ka, a deadly defense against the world and its prejudices. But one day the Hand turned against the Order, and there was war between them...
me.jpg
(The same Molochean Hand that is after me as well?) And so? What causes the schism..?
torian.jpg
I never knew what happened to cause that rift. But because of it, the Gray Legions were raised.
me.jpg
What were the Gray Legions?
torian.jpg
The Gray Legions were a great army of the undead, raised by the Derian-Ka as protection against the Molochean Hand. Our sole purpose was to eradicate all traces of the Hand, so that the Order could continue...
me.jpg
You spoke of a great battle?
torian.jpg
*He seems lost in thought, his eyes somewhere far away.* 10,000 strong we were, fearless and of one mind. Standing upon that battlefield, the darkened sky reflected in our black burnished Dread-Armor..the stamping cavalry on their Shadow Stallions behind the endless rows of the stone-faced pikemen. It was cold, but we had no breath...the air was so still..
me.jpg
And the Hand?
torian.jpg
The Hand? Yes, the Hand...*A look of pain and regret flashes on his face.* The Hand were the greatest warriors of their time. Quick, deadly, precise. They stood across from us, on the opposite ridge. Lightly armored, faces masked...their archers armed with Elven Great Bows, almost as tall as they were. *He whispers.* And fire, stranger, so much fire...
me.jpg
And there was a battle?
torian.jpg
Oh yes...there was a battle the likes of which Arcanum had never seen, perhaps will never see again. The Hand threw themselves against us, we without death, time and time again. They severed the arm that held the sword, burned the body which held the arm, destroyed the souls within those bodies...the Hand, you see, were themselves not unlearned in the ways of magicks...
me.jpg
And the Gray Legions were defeated?
torian.jpg
Yes...the Gray Legions fell on that day, but so did many of the Molochean Hand. A few soldiers from both armies stumbled off the battlefield, and were lost to history. The Derian-Ka were never heard from again...
me.jpg
You said you were 'the last'..what did that mean?
torian.jpg
As I said, there were a few Gray Legionnaires who survived. Because we were undead, we walked Arcanum for centuries, trying to stay hidden from the eyes of man. But the flesh, even the flesh of the undead, cannot last forever. Little by little, year by year, our earthly shells decayed.
me.jpg
Hence, why you were a skeleton a few moments ago...
torian.jpg
Yes...and I was fortunate. Do you see the piles of dust scattered here and there? Those are the last remains of my companions. Dead, but not dead..you see, their souls are still trapped here on this plane. Forever tied to their earthly remains. A curse..a cruel, cruel curse.
me.jpg
Is there nothing to be done?
torian.jpg
There is nothing I can do. The Dragon's Blood pool can restore the flesh, but even it has its limits. Nothing will ever raise my comrades from the dust. They will live on...without voice, without dreams, without vision...
me.jpg
(Such a sad fate of the undead..) What will you do now, Torian?
torian.jpg
Now? I don't know...I don't belong here..it seems nothing like the world I remember. All I know is war and death....even after all these centuries, I still feel the bloodlust, the need for battle. But mostly, I wish to free my remaining companions as I have been freed. Perhaps I will try to find the means to do so.
me.jpg
(To face Arronax, I will need all abled warriors like him along.) Perhaps you should come with me...
torian.jpg
Come with you? But why? We are of different worlds, stranger. I am a deathless warrior, raised to shed blood in defense of a long-dead order. All I have left are my memories, and my hopeless quest...
me.jpg
I see something, too. Perhaps we might find answers together.
torian.jpg
*He is silent for a while, considering.* Perhaps you are right. Yes. We might just find our answers in the same place. I will come with you, and fight by your side. What is your name, stranger?
me.jpg
I am Alain Gilford.
torian.jpg
As I am in your debt, Alain Gilford, I pledge to fight by your side until...well, until I can no longer do so...
me.jpg
*Salutes.* The honor is mine, Torian Kel, Last of the Gray Legion.
43.jpg

Next to the dog, Torian is one of the most specialized melee character with no armor and weapons limitations like Gar the Orc. However, his alignment is evil and would never follow a good-aligned character. A neutral stance between Magic and Tech means he fits equally well when outfitted with both Technological and Arcane equipment. A potent combination, to be sure.

What makes him interesting is that he is completely optional and can be missed by many players. Accessible only by stumbling upon the Ancient Temple or Ashbury rumors, Torian Kel will usually elude players on their first playthrough. Fully voiced, and possess several paragraphs of lore and interaction with other party member and the main plot itself, Torian Kel is perhaps the Vincent Valentine of Arcanum.

Lindblum

Augur
Thank You for getting Dog.

Doesn't take up a slot and insanely powerful at endgame.

RK47

Patron
00a.jpg

me.jpg
NO!
01.jpg

me.jpg
Yet another dream..I've been sleepless ever since that damnable apparition. Arronax is real. Yet..am I? *Clutches the dark helmet.* I need more power to face him. *Dons it.* It's been days since we cleaned out that haunted castle at Ashbury, against Virgil's advice, the dead liche's Dark Helmet is now mine. Its power amplifying my magickal aptitude.
00.jpg

me.jpg
At what cost, I know not...but I'm here in Tarant to tie one loose end...
02.jpg

dog.jpg
*Whine*
me.jpg
I need not your comfort. Tell no one of this, if you wish to follow.
03.jpg

me.jpg
Appleby...
apple.jpg
Who-who's there? Ah, its' you, Gilford..what are you-
me.jpg
Kill him.
dog.jpg
Arf!
04.jpg

apple.jpg
AAAAARGGHHHH!

Cedric bled as the Dog ripped his throat. He clutches Bates' journal tightly as he hyperventilates.

me.jpg
Pathetic.

The next day, the party left Tarant for the Wheel Clan...

06.jpg

07.jpg

me.jpg
The spectacles are required to find its entry point...
08.jpg

me.jpg
Dwarves and their ingenuity...Come.
virgil.jpg
Tread carefully, sir. Dwarves despise magick.
me.jpg
I don't intend to stay here for long, Virgil.
09.jpg

The entry guards need little encourage to let the party through.

10.jpg

11.jpg

me.jpg
A pleasure to meet you, Randver. I have a few questions...
rand.jpg
Of course...what do you need?
me.jpg
I come with news of a most dire nature...
rand.jpg
Dire nature? Of what are you speaking?
me.jpg
I have a tale to tell...*Alain tells him what has happened.*
rand.jpg
*He remains quiet for some time.* I see. And you say you've been to the Isle of Despair to confirm the story of Gudmund Ore Bender?
me.jpg
Yes. I was there and there was no sign of the BMC dwarves.
rand.jpg
This troubles me, my friend. We are given assurances, by Alberich! Assurances! Bloody meddling..oh, blast them all to the dark depths!
me.jpg
Blast who? What is going on here?
rand.jpg
This is an old and dark business...the business of my father. And as I am his heir, it falls to me to make it right. But I know not what to do! He told me so little...
me.jpg
What happened to your father, Randver?
rand.jpg
*He is visibly shaken.* My father! Great and solid Loghaire Thunder Stone! King of the Dwarves! Do you know of him, stranger? The stories of his courage, his strength, of his wisdom? My father, stone among stones..from out of the madness of the Clan Wars he united us under one banner, under one King, through the sheer power of his will...
me.jpg
Where is he, Randver? What happened to him?
rand.jpg
It broke his heart...that heavy, stone heart! He, who warred against Lorek the Abjurer in the pass of Gorgoth...who, in victory, burned Lorek alive, along with ten thousand of his dwarven followers. And this! This broke him like a child upon the stones of the world.
me.jpg
Please, Randver. I need to know what has happened here...
rand.jpg
*Calms himself.* It is as the Ore Bender told you. My father permitted the banishment of his own people. By the elves. He watched them sent away, heard their cries, with hardness born of a hundred generations of Thunder Stones...
me.jpg
So where is he?
rand.jpg
My father came home, and upon his knees cried out for his lost, foolish brethren. Tears of regret, stranger. Regret, shame, and sorrow. The caverns shook with fury, shook at the impact of his hands upon bare stone. He tore the clothes from his body, and set his bulk against the walls and the floors, and his sorrow was marked in blood.
me.jpg
And then?
rand.jpg
I told you. He left us...walked into the old caverns with nothing but Harrow, first-axe of the Thunder Stones. And with that weapon he disappeared, exiled by his own grief, and left the Wheel Clan. He's never returned.
me.jpg
(Tormented by regrets...) Gudmund spoke of a connection to Gilbert Bates...
rand.jpg
Bates! It was Bates who spread technology and its disease...and who are we to blame him? Humans! Cursed with brevity, lacking patience, lacking discernment. I've spent human LIFETIMES deciding on what type of stone to use in a mural, and look what they've done in only a few turns of the moon. And with this, these elves came to us, speaking of punishments...
me.jpg
(Damn that old man...His death was well-deserved.) The Elves? What was their role in this?
rand.jpg
The elves? It was they who demanded the banishment of the Black Mountain Clan for their crimes. But as for the reasons...as I said, I know very little. My father never told me the details of his discussions with them, only that what had been decided was necessary, and that responsibility will be his...
me.jpg
What crimes? What had the Black Mountain Clan done?
rand.jpg
Technology! Manipulation of natural force, the stone - and gearworks that make men gods! This, our legacy, given into the hands of reckless children. And the disease has spread...and the cost, stranger! Oh, the bloody cost!
me.jpg
Who were these elves?
rand.jpg
I've no idea. And I know not why my father felt it necessary to speak with them, nor to heed their demands. As King, my father never should have allowed them to interfere, but for some reason he allowed it. He's never spoken a word about it since.
me.jpg
(So, the next step is to find these elves, and only Loghaire knew about them since no one else dealt with them directly.) It seems I'll have to speak with Loghaire. Where is he?
rand.jpg
I told you...he exiled himself. He walked into the Dredge, and has never returned...
me.jpg
The Dredge?What can I expect to find in this...uh...Dredge?
rand.jpg
It is an old system of caverns - a mine, actually - not far from here. The entrance is just beyond these chambers and to the southeast. There you will find a stone archway. Beyond that you will find the Dredge, into which my father disappeared.
me.jpg
(Nothing is ever simple, is there?) YOU must know where he is. Can I convince you to tell me?
rand.jpg
Why would you think that? If a dwarf wants to be alone, then a dwarf stay alone.
me.jpg
You're his son and heir. You'd have gone looking for him...
rand.jpg
And why? He left me here to rule a kingdom, and rule it I will! What sort of son would I be to..uh...go running around in the dark looking for a father who doesn't care?
me.jpg
And what has he left behind for you, Randver?
rand.jpg
For me? A crumbling clan...its people confused and frightened at the changes in our world, hurt by the abandonment of their clan-father and King. And it falls to me...to ME!...to hold us together...
me.jpg
You've done your best, Randver. Your father would be proud.
rand.jpg
But I am so very young. My people's respect for me stems more from my name than my experience. Still...'A handful of lodestone weights more than an armful of pumice." He still tells me that...uh, I mean he used to.
me.jpg
(A ha! I knew it. Let's keep pressing him.) He seems a very wise man. I hope someday to know him...
rand.jpg
I believe he would enjoy your company. My father is a man of truth, and he respects men cut from the same stone...
me.jpg
I'm sure. Thank you. I think I had best be going...I must try to find him.
rand.jpg
No, wait!
me.jpg
(Gotcha.) Yes?
rand.jpg
I must admit...you're correct. I do see him, almost every day, although he says very little. He lives deep within the Dredge, but I have a hidden passage through which I travel, and within it, you will encounter no trouble. Just enter here...there's a secret passage under the throne. I trust you, stranger. Find your answers. Do what is right. I pray he will tell you what you need to know....
me.jpg
I'll most certainly try. Thank you for your help, Randver.
12.jpg

me.jpg
Right. So this passage will take us down straight to the Exiled Dwarf King. Time to get some answers, one way or another.
13.jpg

me.jpg
Forgive me, your highness. I had no choice but to...
log.jpg
Quiet! This insolence is unforgivable! The violation of my ancient right for solitude in exile is not broken so easily! Your life hangs in the balance stranger! Speak quickly, lest you taste of the fury of Harrow! *He hefts a double-edged axe from his belt.*
me.jpg
I recommend you reign in your anger, Loghaire.
virgil.jpg
Sir, I think you should-
me.jpg
No, Virgil. I had enough. Arronax will not wait!
log.jpg
YOU HAVE THE AUDACITY TO TAKE SUCH A TONE WITH ME? I'VE SPILLED OCEANS OF BLOOD WITH THIS AXE...THE BODIES OF THE FALLEN WOULD MAKE A MOUNTAIN TO HIDE THE SUN! AND YOU DARE...?
me.jpg
I do not hide from the sun like you did, cowardly king. I face a threat unlike anything you've ever faced. *Points an accusing finger.* Dwarf-betrayer.
14.jpg

A blast of stunning magick hit him squarely on the face as the rest of the party tear into him. And within moments, Loghaire is no more.

me.jpg
Damn him. *Searches the dead dwarf's body.*
virgil.jpg
It's a pity. We could've gotten some answers.
15.jpg

me.jpg
The elves are involved in this...with a threat of war. A name...Min Gorad. Anyone know where elves live?
virgil.jpg
Afraid not, sir.
me.jpg
I will not be denied of answers. *Clasps his palms together.*
16.jpg

geoff.jpg
Why, that is one of the most effective way to get some answers. I applaud, Gilford, my boy!
17.jpg

me.jpg
Yes, Loghaire. And the pain will continue until you answer me...
log.jpg
What? What...Ahhh! The pain is great! Perhaps only this is a true punishment for my crimes...I must endure...
me.jpg
What are you talking about? What crimes?
log.jpg
Crimes against my people! Arrrgh! The Black Mountain Clan...I betrayed them all.
me.jpg
You don't know the half of it...they're not on the Isle of Despair...
log.jpg
What? What do you mean? Were they killed? Ahhh! It hurts...!
me.jpg
No they were never sent there...
log.jpg
Then where? WHERE? WHERE ARE THEY?
me.jpg
You tell me...who sent them away?
log.jpg
The elves...they threatened war! Arrrrghhh! M'in Gorad..the name of the elf...PLEASE! Leave me alone! I must face this pain alone!
me.jpg
Where do I find M'in Gorad?
log.jpg
I DON'T KNOW! Try to find Qintarra...I don't know where it is, but someone in Stillwater might be able to help you *The ghost points to a location in your map.* OH GOD! PLEASE LET ME BE! ARRRGHHHH!!!!
me.jpg
Rest in peace.
torian.jpg
Yes...effective as always, necromancy.
geoff.jpg
I wish he wouldn't be so LOUD when interrogated.
virgil.jpg
First dwarves and now elves! This insanity is going to drag us all over this continent! We'll need to go to Stillwater to find someone who can give us directions to it!
me.jpg
We're done here. Loghaire, I release you from your torment.

As the party ascends back to the throne room, Randver gave Gilford a hopeful look.
geoff.jpg
So, who's going to deliver the good news?
18.jpg

me.jpg
I found your father. He gave me the information I needed.
rand.jpg
I'm very glad. Good luck on your quest. I hope you find the truth.
geoff.jpg
Smooth. With luck they'll blame the monsters down below for his death.
me.jpg
We're wasting time. Let's head to Stillwater.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom