Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's get famous in Darklands!

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Don't panic, the game was already running anyways :P

Our story begins:
z1.jpg

z2.jpg

z3.jpg

z4.jpg

z5.jpg

No need to rush things.

z6.jpg

Let's ask for rumors.

z7.jpg

Even Bee's streetwise skills can't change the fact that there is really nothing going on at the moment.

z8.jpg

We go straight to the Rathaus to see the important people and ask them for a job. It doesn't end well.

z9.jpg

Let's try the marketplace as it was suggested at the start.

z10.jpg

z11.jpg

z12.jpg

Is no one going to take us serious around here? :cry:

z13.jpg

z14.jpg

z15.jpg

z16.jpg

This does sound out of our league right now, so we do what every other band of adventurers would do, grind street thugs for ++levels! We'll have to wait for nightfall first.

z17.jpg

z18.jpg

Going to the docks, looking for trouble and soon finding it.

z19.jpg

z20.jpg

Battle is RtwP and quiet messy since the PC ai tends to block each other and the whole thing is rather hard to organize mid-fight. I'll elaborate when I find the time. For now: blue is stamina, green is strength, yellow divine favour. You get ko when stamina hits 0, dead when strength reaches 0. The thinner bars are the ones of the opponent a character is fighting at the moment.

z21.jpg

z22.jpg

A clear sweep.

z23.jpg

z24.jpg

We are rewarded with our very first fame point and some subpar gear. Ashe got a little beaten up but at least he and Theocrat receive their first amour set so they should take less damage from now on.

z25.jpg

Thankfully, there’s no need to swim. After a rest at the inn, we sell the gathered loot and buy the ox a nice new shield, a torch and a rope (you always need those) which depletes all of our funds. A move I will soon regret. With that business done, we are ready to venture into the Darklands.

z26.jpg

Travelling is not as involving like RoA since you don't need food or anything but different terrains equal different walking speed, so there is a little depth to it. It also has more random encounters.

z27.jpg

z28.jpg

z29.jpg

What a waste of time but at least another fame point well earned.

z30.jpg

z31.jpg

Damn!

z32.jpg

Shit!

z33.jpg

Fuck!

z34.jpg

:x

z35.jpg

We continue our journey anyways and soon arrive at the evil lord's castle.

z36.jpg

Show me what you got, Bee.

z37.jpg

z38.jpg

There is sadly no point in venturing forth since all options except escape end in combat and the party is just too weak to face a Raubritter right now. We bravely retreat back to Frankfurt but I had forgotten that you have to pay a fee to get through the front gate and since I burned up all our cash, we have to find a more creative route.

z43.jpg

I think the only thing that can help us right now is some serious divine intervention. Thus we examine our list of available saints.

z39.jpg

Good thing we’ve got Bee around.

z40.jpg

z41.jpg

z42.jpg

She does give Ashe streetwise alright but no Strength 
Maybe we should look for a little less divine support.

z44.jpg

z45.jpg

Twats... Now, with no money and no shelter, there is only one place left we can go.

z46.jpg

z47.jpg

z48.jpg

Oh c'mon! We survive this fight, mostly by throwing Holger right into the fray. Thanks to the little gold we get for looted equipment, we can now settle back in the inn for a hopefully quieter stay.

z49.jpg

With our health back in the green, we are finally able to provide the Raubritter's goons with a good fight and they drop way better stuff than the street thugs.

z50.jpg

Trying to sneak into the castle like last time doesn't go too well.

z51.jpg

z52.jpg

Second try is also a failure. Third time is the charm though.

z53.jpg

His cohort is surprisingly clumsy except one dude with a club who gives the ox a hard time. The Raubritter uses that distraction to go after Theocrat and Ashe who start to run for their dear lives.

z54.jpg

It all ends well, thankfully. Maybe not so much for Theocrat though.

z55.jpg

z56.jpg

This time we sneak back into Frankfurt just out of spite.

z57.jpg

It’s time to collect our just reward.

z58.jpg

z59.jpg

Now I just need to sell all the loot and we're probably already filthy rich by our initial standards. And our reputation still continues to grow.

z60.jpg

Just guessing here but I think we're off to a good start.

Current roster:
z61.jpg

z62.jpg

z63.jpg

z64.jpg

MMXI

Arcane
You really hit rock bottom for a moment there. Good to see the party right back on top of things again. :salute:

MORE!

:love:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wow, there sure was a lot for Bee to do in this update! And our progress is remarkable. :salute:
Surprisingly enough, the game somewhat reminds me of Age of Decadence, what with the text adventure-ish interface and all the skill checks.

z34.jpg

:o

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Surprisingly enough, the game somewhat reminds me of Age of Decadence, what with the text adventure-ish interface and all the skill checks.

Not surprisingly, really. I think Vince somewhere mentions that Darklands was one of his inspirations to include them this way. :)

Some lazy questions:
How do I get rid of clothes and useless items in general?
What's better, a scale armor of low quality or a leather armor of high quality and does quality degenerate?
Also, does any of the illegal deeds, like climbing the city walls, cost you fame?

Ashery

Prophet
Don't remember exactly how to destroy items, but it should be in the manual.

Higher tier armor is always better. An attack will have its pre-armor check damage modified for every ten points difference between their respective qualities. This is part of the reason str/end are so important.

I know sleeping in the slums for the night costs you some local reputation, but I've never needed to use the other examples we've seen so far.

Also, please don't tell me you sold the plate from the robber knight. Probably the most important bit of loot from that fight.

Damn nice progress so far, though. Wasn't expecting you to successfully take down a robber knight for a while yet.

lightbane

Arcane
That game looks great, I'll consider giving it a try later. Shame it's not turn-based though.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Ashery said:
Also, please don't tell me you sold the plate from the robber knight. Probably the most important bit of loot from that fight.

I'm green, not daft. :D

Haven't distributed/sold the loot yet. Our loot pile so far if you want something (all ranging between 10q and 15q):

19 Clothing
13 Clubs
15x10q, 4x15q Leather(V)
1 Battle axe
2 Short bows (from the last screenshots)
11 Arrows
3 Medium shields
1 Long Spear
4 Padded(L)
4 Small shields
4 Hand axes
1 Mace
1 Scale(V)
1 Studded leather(L)
1 Two-hand sword (am thinking about giving it to ox although I usually prefer the sword/shield combo)
1 Plate armor(V) (reserved :smug:)
1 Chainmail (L)

This should bring us some extra coins. Now, we could either spent the wealth on equipment and ingredients and look for more work or I could spent the next update looking for trainers and new saints. Gotta catch 'em all, right?

Damn nice progress so far, though. Wasn't expecting you to successfully take down a robber knight for a while yet.

I have to confess that the party was only able to bring that monster down on the third try. That he went after the easier prey was actually lucky for us since it gave us enough time to deal with the other brigands. It was also lucky that Ashe is quiet able in parrying.

Regarding another undocumented event during play, I just found out that you never mess around with wandering alchemists, ever. :?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Given that Bee is a thief, can she equip armour heavier than leather? Or would that hinder her thieving abilties?

Pussycat669 said:

Not surprisingly, really. I think Vince somewhere mentions that Darklands was one of his inspirations to include them this way. :)

Ah! it's all clear now. :)

Pussycat669

Liturgist
From what I could gather, you only lose agi for every load level over light load and the current level only changes with the equipment currently worn. You would still be on the normal level with plate and chain on (although just barely), so I guess you don't need to worry too much even if you need agi.

Higher tier armor is always better. An attack will have its pre-armor check damage modified for every ten points difference between their respective qualities. This is part of the reason str/end are so important.

So, am I reading the higher tier armor correctly that I should go after the best quality or was the second sentence just an explanation for it's purpose?

korenzel

Educated
You've probably figured that out by now, but 'd' destroys any item you have highlighted.

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
it's not always clear which option you chose.Could you please state it somehow?.
Also I'd like to play this after this LP but I can't really read the font(neither full screen nor windowed.My eyes hurt).Is it somehow possible to change it ?

Pussycat669

Liturgist
@korenzel
No I didn't so thanks for that!

@golgepapaz
Yeah, I will try to point at the right options after this update although I'll probably forget to do it half of the time so apologies in advance. The font is fixed though, I'm afraid.

Update should be up in an hour. It was again more going on than I anticipated.

MMXI

Arcane
I know this is the biggest sin of all, but would a DOSBox graphics filter help make the font more readable? Might be worth a try. I don't have a problem with it, personally, as I've played this game before and am therefore used to it.

Oh yeah, MORE!

Pussycat669 said:
Update should be up in an hour.

:love:

Ashery

Prophet
Pussycat669 said:
So, am I reading the higher tier armor correctly that I should go after the best quality or was the second sentence just an explanation for it's purpose?

The second sentence was just explaining how quality impacts weapons/armor. 40q plate is certainly better than 15q, but, at the same time, 15q plate is a huge step up anything scale or weaker.

Pussycat669 said:
Regarding another undocumented event during play, I just found out that you never mess around with wandering alchemists, ever.

I'd certainly consider robber knights more difficult than wandering alchemists (I'm assuming we're speaking of the one that demands your alchemy materials), but most of my chars have some type of ranged attack (Throwing, typically), so I can often take out the alchemist before much harm is done.

@Bee: There's no restrictions on armor save for the loss of agility if it increases your load.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
z1.jpg

Let's go look for some trainers. The monastery comes first and I hope that St. Agnes blessing will help us here.

z2.jpg

*drumroll*

z3.jpg

Objective one is complete. I then want to learn about new saints but it turns out that I must have already done that, probably while I was desperately searching for a healer. It also seems like you can only get one and only for one character for each visited monastery. So I check what I actually picked.

z4.jpg

Guess I must have chosen that one at random. He sounds rather impractical.
Next comes the guild lane.

z5.jpg

More specifically the non-violent guild lane.

z6.jpg

We work this out from top to bottom. Healer comes first.

z7.jpg

Check if he's actually worth his salt.

z8.jpg

Two hours later...

z9.jpg

At least he sells some herbs but only one that we need (Sanguine Base).

z10.jpg

We check if he can train us regardless.

z11.jpg

In other words, we just wasted three hours for nothing :x
Alchemist is up.

z12.jpg

So Theocrat is not skilled enough to find an alchemist for training and has no possibility to brew the one potion he can make. That's just swell. We continue the search until late into the night. It doesn't help.

z13.jpg

Run away!

z14.jpg

Killing the guards is a really bad idea since your local rep takes quiet a hit from that. So we play nice and pay up. Next morning we go to the cloth makers.

z15.jpg

No idea what these fellas are good for. What about Tinker's Square?

z16.jpg

z17.jpg

Those were all the trainers we could find, now back to the task of making more moneys.

z18.jpg

Another Raubritter is plaguing an honest business. His castle is a lot further to the north of Frankfurt so there’s plenty of time for the game to screw us over.

z19.jpg

Ashe saves us the trouble.

z20.jpg

I get nostalgic and visit the castle of the other Raubritter we've slain but there isn't much left of it.

z21.jpg

z22.jpg

Further up the path awaits probably the nastiest encounter so far.

z23.jpg

Denying the friar will get the entire party cursed and they all (permanently?) lose about 4 points of strength. That's a price too high for me.

z24.jpg

We're almost at the castle when we get another blasted wolf encounter. It thankfully turns out alright.

z25.jpg

Luck does run out quickly however and we die on our first attempt to sneak into the castle since the evildoers around here are a lot more competent. I plan on burning the castle down again but spontaneously decide to go for the Raubritter instead which had never worked so far.

z26.jpg

We face him 4v1 so he doesn't really stand a chance.

z27.jpg

The day ends with another evil doer slain. This is even topped when Bee for the very first time after about 10+ failed attempts gets us through a city gate for free.

z28.jpg

Just passing by to get a new saint, really.

z29.jpg

I plan on giving one of the saints with healing powers to either Theocrat or the ox but I make a wrong click and Ashe gets another one instead. :(

z30.jpg

It’s time to head back to Frankfurt but in style.

z31.jpg

Money is only enough for a very good horse and three mules. I don't know yet if they actually increase travelling speed or are only used during encounters.

Speaking of those...

z32.jpg

Let's talk...

z33.jpg

Sometimes it's really great to be us, sometimes less so.

z34.jpg

We do what every good Christian would do in this situation.

z35.jpg

There's another priest demanding donations. Ashe is unlucky this time around.

z36.jpg

z37.jpg

And yet again our party avoids the entering toll.

z38.jpg

We finally get paid.

z39.jpg

Our local reputation has grown in such a manner that we now sometimes get quest just by trading with people, like this pharmacist.

z40.jpg

z41.jpg

z42.jpg

That’s quiet a hike with lots of bandits and fiends in the way. Bee isn’t scared though.

z43.jpg

Just a few hours away from our destination we find that suspicious looking village with some extra creepy music playing while we walk by.

z44.jpg

This one will have to wait. The mace comes first.

z45.jpg

This is starting to annoy me.

z46.jpg

There’s more wildlife waiting for us. We try sneak past…

z47.jpg

z48.jpg

Probably should have tried to flee with the mounts but I really do hate spiders.

z49.jpg

The last encounter is another group of wandering pilgrims.

z50.jpg

Finally, the shrine!

z51.jpg

Not taking any chances here.

z52.jpg

Another wildlife encounter:

z53.jpg

Ashe saves the day yet again.

z54.jpg

There is still a really fucking evil alchemist though.

z55.jpg

z56.jpg

Now, about that village…

z57.jpg

We have an audience with the guy in charge.

z58.jpg

What’s up, bro?

z59.jpg

Oh, my finger knows evil alright and it is pointed at you!

z60.jpg

Die, heathens!

z61.jpg

One quick glance at the map reassures me that there is no way that we can stop the witches in time (I know there are witches because they get mentioned in another encounter I skipped because of the time issue. In it, the heroes get lost in the woods surrounded by an evil presence. You can then pray to St. Aidan, who will send you a white rabbit to lead you to safety. The rabbit too will talk about the witches and warn you about the time limit plus that you are supposed to stop the witches by any means necessary. I hereby dismiss my initial opinion, the dude is awesome!). I will reload later and look if we can get a better date but for now, I want to see how the scene unfolds as we’re not done yet.

z63.jpg

Ashe wants to find out if you can troll a demon with Jesus. Turns out that you can.

z64.jpg

z65.jpg

Guy is fast on his feet but it is again 4v1. He doesn’t even get a chance to hit anybody.

z66.jpg

z67.jpg

Nice. Time to reload and return the mace.

Current roster
z68.jpg

z69.jpg

z70.jpg

z71.jpg

Ashery

Prophet
So Theocrat is not skilled enough to find an alchemist for training and has no possibility to brew the one potion he can make. That's just swell. We continue the search until late into the night. It doesn't help.

:incline:

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Let me guess, he would need about 20 Alch to find a shop. Am I close?
I was hoping that searching alone would increase the skill but it never happened. :(

Ashery

Prophet
Pussycat669 said:
Let me guess, he would need about 20 Alch to find a shop. Am I close?
I was hoping that searching alone would increase the skill but it never happened. :(

No idea what the required alch level is. All of my alchs have started with enough skill (Generally stop at age 30 or 35) to get over that initial hump (A hump that I didn't even know existed).

Your best bet is finding a relatively cheap saint that increases alchemy skill, using the temporary boost to find an alchemist that will offer to train you, and then spending a couple weeks in an inn getting his skill up to a more workable level.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Will try that. Was my assumption right that you only get one saint per monastery or have I been too impatient?

Edit: Just checked, 20 really does appear to be the minimum, oh man. :D

Ashery

Prophet
Pussycat669 said:
Will try that. Was my assumption right that you only get one saint per monastery or have I been too impatient?

Edit: Just checked, 20 really does appear to be the minimum, oh man. :D

You eventually can get more than one, but I've no idea the exact time frame.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
Ashery said:

:incline:

Indeed. Better to lose a skill-check than to not be skill-checked at all.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Wonderful update! And a lot of trial and error in this thread. :salute: Still, the progress is quite good for a blind LP.
And boy, the church officials are asses in this game.

Obscene Neko 669 said:
So Theocrat is not skilled enough to find an alchemist for training and has no possibility to brew the one potion he can make.

Well, the game says "you might learn something if you keep trying", so maybe we could just keep trying?

when Bee for the very first time after about 10+ failed attempts gets us through a city gate for free

:D

z43.jpg

:incline: Wow, I wonder which of my skills made for such a performance.

z56.jpg

I'm good! :P

Radisshu

Prophet
This game is really cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom