Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's press the button of awesome - Stolen memos found

Should Bethany accompany Hawke to the Deep Roads?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Erebus

Arcane
It would be hilarious if the expedition was just a scam by the dwarven brothers and their only aim was to steal sovereigns from gullible fools. :P

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Man, without knowing which particular emotion is supposed to be expressed by Hawke it's hard to figure out what the companions respond to.

Twinkle said:
face-bethany.jpg
I had a twin brother, Carver. He used to nail my braid to the bed while I was sleeping.

:M

Could BioWare really not suppress its need to give all women huge tits for the sister character? It's kinda disturbing.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Man, without knowing which particular emotion is supposed to be expressed by Hawke it's hard to figure out what the companions respond to.

You mean dialog "stance"? I always pick aggressive/direct RED option with a few (I want to be a dragon11111) exceptions.

If she's captain how can she travel with you?

She's not appointed yet.

Esquilax

Arcane
Erebus said:
It would be hilarious if the expedition was just a scam by the dwarven brothers and their only aim was to steal sovereigns from gullible fools. :P

But that would actually be interesting. We can't have that, now can we?

Oh, and Brother None, I'm not sure what you're talking about with the sister characters. In what other games has BioWare given huge tits for a sister character? Maybe I've got early onset Alzheimer's, but I'm hard pressed to remember sister characters in any BioWare game.

Drakron

Arcane
No, in JE you had a childhood friend that also was a strait love interest.

Also Imoen did not had "huge tits" since BG was using IE and that means unless they had individual spites it was "one sprite-fits all" that it was (Imoen just used the default female sprites) so we are left with the portraits and no, she is normal as far I can see and I am not seeing much, only the BG1 portrait shown a bit of her bust line as BG2 shown about nothing.

Also please dont make me defend this, Bethany does have Xbox Huge Tits on the "intro fight" and goes back to a more regular bust, this is one of the advantages of having a "personal mesh" instead of using default ones so Wynne's "GILF" does not happen, the bad is it can lose customization.

ironyuri

da2lp4-20.jpg

I just want to point out the description here:

"An armor rune that increases armor."

that is some fine adjectivising there. some find descripting. These writers should be paid in gold bars from the Sierra Madre vault.

Peter

Arcane
It pisses me off when characters in a fantasy setting talk like, for lack of a better word, normal people. Phrases like 'anyway', '... but yeah' etc sound really out of place. Great writing, Bioware! :x

Also, :decline: for not naming the dog Dogmeat.

Jackalope

Arcane
They just skipped over an entire year? :retarded:
Why did they even have that in the game? The only reason I can think of is that Bioware wants to make a DLC set during that lost year. It sure sounds like something they'd do.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Peter said:
It pisses me off when characters in a fantasy setting talk like, for lack of a better word, normal people. Phrases like 'anyway', '... but yeah' etc sound really out of place. Great writing, Bioware! :x

Also, :decline: for not naming the dog Dogmeat.

Wait for one epic line: "I don't truck with demons" coming from apostate. I literally paused for a moment on my playthrough to do a :what:

Also: Varrick is a nice companion. I don't even get the gay vibes from him. OK so he's a dwarf starved for attention, that's what happens when you absorb the surface culture and forgot how to act like American dorfs.

RK47

Patron
Jackalope said:
They just skipped over an entire year? :retarded:
Why did they even have that in the game? The only reason I can think of is that Bioware wants to make a DLC set during that lost year. It sure sounds like something they'd do.

Rushed production. DA 2 was given so much less time to do..but while the game felt slightly unfinished and rushed...they still had time to make a Day 0 DLC while they triple the random mob spawns and recycled maps for dungeons at least three times for three quests.

ENCHANTMENT!

:decline: is deep with this one.

Twinkle

Liturgist
PART 2 - WHY DO YOU LIE?

da2lp05-00.jpg

Kirkwall streets are full of bitching triggers.

face-bethany.jpg
Being a guardsman seems like a better life than being a soldier.
face-aveline.jpg
Oh?
face-bethany.jpg
My brother was a soldier. It's all about taking land and serving some king you've never met.
face-bethany.jpg
Guardsmen, they do something real. They protect people. They make their lives better.
face-aveline.jpg
I don't know if I agree.
face-bethany.jpg
Neither would my brother.

So we were going to buy some pimped staff for Beth the assortment is shit, because availablity of stuff is largely level-dependent.

da2lp05-01.jpg

We return to uncle's house.

da2lp05-02.jpg

face-mom.jpg
My children have been in servitude -- servitude -- for a year. They should be nobility!
face-gamlen.jpg
If wishes were poppy, we'd all be dreaming.
face-hawke5.jpg
Why was nothing set aside for us, Uncle?
face-gamlen.jpg
Your mother was supposed to marry the Comte de Launcet, and instead she ran off with some Fereldan apostate.
face-gamlen.jpg
You don't get to stay favorite when you do that.
face-mom.jpg
Where is Father's will? If I could just see for myself --
face-gamlen.jpg
It's not here, all right! It was read, it went in the vault. No one needed to look at it again.
face-hawke5.jpg
Take me to the vault.
face-gamlen.jpg
Can't. It's in the cellar of the estate. Someone else lives there now.
face-bethany.jpg
You didn't take your parents' will?
face-gamlen.jpg
It was old news. You think I've been sitting here for twenty-five years waiting for Leandra to slink back?
face-mom.jpg
Who bought the estate, Gamlen? Perhaps I could speak to them. Was it the Reinhardts?
face-gamlen.jpg
No one you know. Get used to Lowtown, Sister. That's where we're going to stay.

What a sleazy dick. Obviously he's hiding something.

da2lp05-03.jpg

face-bethany.jpg
So, I hate thinking badly of family, but... did Uncle Gamlen seem a little slippery when he talked about Grandfather's will?
face-bethany.jpg
If he, say, "invested" money that was meant to be Mother's, do you think he would tell us?
face-hawke5.jpg
I want what's ours.
face-bethany.jpg
Good. I'm glad we agree.
face-bethany.jpg
Gamlen told me he gave the estate as payment to some slaver who beat him at dice.
face-bethany.jpg
Apparently our ancestral home is now a base for slavers from all over Thedas.
face-hawke5.jpg
Good. Then we can break in and I don't care if we kill them.
face-bethany.jpg
I already talked to both of them about this. Gamlen said they guard the front entrance well.
face-bethany.jpg
But Mother gave me her old key. She said it should unlock the cellar. Apparently the sewers run right beneath the house.

Yay! The obligatory sewer level. Forgot to mention: commander Awesome is capable of receving e-mails. To make the process even more streamlined and accessible even font is identical to one used in ME2.

da2lp05-04.jpg

da2lp05-05.jpg

da2lp05-06.jpg

The proof that my DLC is, ahem, activated correctly. Let's check the Emporium for kewl free trinkets.

da2lp05-07.jpg

da2lp05-08.jpg

Suffice to say that the shit is weird. Free trinkets are better than pretty much eveything you can grab at this stage.

da2lp05-09.jpg

There is also a mirror of transformation which allows to change PC's gender among the other othings. Hawke won't touch it... for now :smug:\

New location - Darktown. Former quarry now populated by human filth.

da2lp05-10.jpg

It seems that DA2 has its own elevator conversations.

da2lp05-11.jpg

face-bethany.jpg
Do you ever wish you lived in Orzammar?
face-varric.jpg
Great Ancestors, no! You know what Orzammar is?
face-varric.jpg
It's cramped tunnels, filled with nug-shit and body-odor.
face-varric.jpg
And every person there thinks he's better than you because his great-great-great grandfather made a water-clock or something.
face-bethany.jpg
But they're your people. Don't you even wonder what it would be like?
face-varric.jpg
I have a good imagination. Why would I waste it on that?

da2lp05-12.jpg

face-hawke5.jpg
Tomwise?
face-tomwise.jpg
Huh? Oh... Hawke.
face-tomwise.jpg
Haven't seen you since we did that job together for Athenril. Been a while.
face-tomwise.jpg
Heard you're going on some expedition into the Deep Roads, and right into darkspawn territory. Sure that's wise?
face-hawke5.jpg
I've fought darkspawn before.
face-tomwise.jpg
Just watch your back, that's all I'm saying.
face-tomwise.jpg
Say... you still in the market for some poisons? Athenril's scarce these days, and the Coterie have their own mixers.
face-tomwise.jpg
You find any rare reagents and want me to whip you up something, just let me know.
face-tomwise.jpg
In fact, since you're an old friend, here's a recipe. My speciality.
face-tomwise.jpg
Everyone needs an edge sometimes, right?

da2lp05-13.jpg

Listen, game, stop throwing "helpful" NPCs at me. I know how to use the interface, thankyouverymuch.

One of the benefits of having new staff is that enemies now explode into green goo instead of red.

da2lp05-14.jpg

Pretty much every level contains some stupid shit to collect.

da2lp05-15.jpg

Hawke's level up is the direct result of reading books. Codex is your friend. :smug:

da2lp05-16.jpg

The goal of our journey.

da2lp05-17.jpg

On the bright side of things there is no sewer level and the cellar is relatively small.

da2lp05-18.jpg

da2lp05-19.jpg

da2lp05-20.jpg

Level up for Bethany. Now she can summon artillery strikes.

da2lp05-21.jpg

We found some coins and a present for sis.

da2lp05-22.jpg

BRAAGFZFDDS!!!! AAAARRGFDGF!!! *yawn*

da2lp05-23.jpg

da2lp05-24.jpg

da2lp05-25.jpg

Here's the mini-boss protected by a trap.

da2lp05-26.jpg

Mage's AI seems to be broken to me. All he does is standing inside the sphere of protection then teleporting randomly. I don't think he made a single successful hit.

da2lp05-27.jpg

da2lp05-28.jpg

da2lp05-29.jpg

We pick the vault key from his body.

da2lp05-30.jpg

Money and the testament inside.

da2lp05-31.jpg

face-bethany.jpg
This is it! Grandfather's will. Mother needs to see this as soon as possible.
face-hawke5.jpg
We'll take it to her right now.

face-gamlen.jpg
...so I'm just saying, blood's blood and all, but you are talking advantage of my hospitality.
face-mom.jpg
face-gamlen.jpg
It's only fair if you make something of a... monthly contribution--
face-mom.jpg
You sold my children into servitude! Now you're asking me to pay rent?

Hawke arrives and uncle loses his shit.

face-gamlen.jpg
Er... maybe just put something towards food...
face-hawke5.jpg
Gamlen lied to you, Mother.
face-hawke5.jpg
We found the will.
face-bethany.jpg
He forgave you, Mother. Grandfather left you everything.
face-bethany.jpg
Here. Read it!

da2lp05-32.jpg

face-gamlen.jpg
Er, ah, I should... maybe...
face-mom.jpg
"To my daughter Leandra, and all children born of her... the estate in Hightown and all associated revenues..."
face-hawke5.jpg
What do you have to say for yourself?
face-gamlen.jpg
You're the one who ran away, Leandra. What happened to "Love is so much more important than money...?"
face-mom.jpg
It is!
face-gamlen.jpg
You didn't even come home for the funeral!
face-mom.jpg
The twins were a week old!
face-gamlen.jpg
We all have our burdens. Mine was looking after a life you abandoned. How long was I supposed to wait?
face-hawke5.jpg
You'll spend the rest of your life paying my mother back for what you stole.
face-gamlen.jpg
Andraste's ass, I will!
face-mom.jpg
I don't expect that, Gamlen. It's enough to know Mother and Father didn't die angry.
face-mom.jpg
I'll petition the viscount for rights to reclaim the estate. Maker willing, you'll have your "house" back within weeks.
face-gamlen.jpg
You don't have the coin or standing to even get an audience with the viscount.
face-gamlen.jpg
You've got to be someone in this city to live in that house again.
face-mom.jpg
Then I had better get started.

I must say the game is full of missed opportunities. This situation just screamed of collar-grabbing uncle and beating shit out of him. Instead we get only empty "you'll pay for this!" threats.

da2lp05-33.jpg

face-bethany.jpg
Why don't you go pick up something at the market? You could use some air!
face-gamlen.jpg
What? Hey!

Little sister is more of a kick-ass than Hawke himself so far. Fail.

da2lp05-34.jpg

face-bethany.jpg
I can't believe Gamlen stole Mother's entire inheritance! I mean, I can believe it -- that's the worst part.

WTF is with her hands? Are mage's hands supposed to be deformed or Bioware fails at modelling?

da2lp05-35.jpg

face-bethany.jpg
I would never turn against you.
face-hawke5.jpg
Talking about Gamlen leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
face-bethany.jpg
Well, hopefully, we'll be out of here soon.
face-bethany.jpg
You know, when we went to look for that will, I thought we were doing it for Mother, for what she lost.
face-bethany.jpg
I didn't realize how much it would mean to me. To know I had grandparents who didn't hate me.
face-hawke5.jpg
Mother's parents sound like stuck-up pigs. Who cares what they thought?
face-bethany.jpg
They're our family. A noble lineage dating back to the last Blight. Aren't you a little curious?
face-bethany.jpg
It just makes it feel not as bad, being here, you know?
face-bethany.jpg
We're not running away again. We're coming home.
face-hawke5.jpg
Our home was destroyed by the darkspawn. This will never be anything but a refugee camp.
face-bethany.jpg
We're never going back to Ferelden, Brother.
face-bethany.jpg
You can be more here than you ever could have been in Lothering.
face-bethany.jpg
Just give it a chance.
Bethany rivalry +10.

da2lp05-36.jpg

And the gift.

da2lp05-37.jpg

face-hawke5.jpg
I don't care much about old family stuff. Bit I thought you might want this.
face-bethany.jpg
Where did you get that? Was it at the estate? Let me see!

da2lp05-38.jpg

face-bethany.jpg
Is it -- I think this is Mother's betrothal portrait, from when she was supposed to marry the Comte. Look! You can see the ring.
face-hawke5.jpg
She was much happier with Father.
face-bethany.jpg
I know she loved Father. I guess... I just wonder if she'd have been happier if he hadn't been a mage. If I wasn't a mage.
face-bethany.jpg
I know that made it hard for Mother.
face-bethany.jpg
It's nice to have a reminder of a time when she still knew how to smile.
Bethany friendship +15.

Well, sister is unimportant... for now.... until the Plot Twist (tm). :M

RK47

Patron
Hahah. Yeah. I went through the tough guy route...and was disappointed at the lack of 'punch'. It was very strange when enemies explode in a shower of blood while you simply...'intimidate' without a shred of body language or interaction. Just plain, poorly delivered words of rage.

And there wasn't enough rage in it..despite the situation calling for it.

:salute:

Keep it up, Twinkle! We'll meet at the end!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Twinkle said:
face-bethany.jpg
Being a guardsman seems like a better life than being a soldier.
face-aveline.jpg
Oh?
face-bethany.jpg
My brother was a soldier. It's all about taking land and serving some king you've never met.
face-bethany.jpg
Guardsmen, they do something real. They protect people. They make their lives better.
face-aveline.jpg
I don't know if I agree.
face-bethany.jpg
Neither would my brother.
lol, almost the exact same thing as from KotOR1, except this time soldier is replaced by guardsman and warrior by soldier.

R00fles!

Erebus

Arcane
So... it took a whole year for the siblings to realize that their uncle was an asshole and to investigate his ludicrously suspicious claim that the will was unfortunately lost ? And when they find the truth, you don't even get the chance to turn him into an explosion of blood ? Although I haven't played Mass Effect either, I suspect that Shepard > Hawke.

Peter

Arcane
Erebus said:
Although I haven't played Mass Effect either, I suspect that Shepard > Hawke.

Definitely. Playing Mass Effect for the first time right now :)oops:) and it seems like you can kill at least one NPC per level/hub/dungeon/whatever.

Anyway, truly horrifying LP. Do continue :thumbsup:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"So... it took a whole year for the siblings to realize that their uncle was an asshole and to investigate his ludicrously suspicious claim that the will was unfortunately lost ?"

They didn't ahve time to investigate squat the first year ebcause they were busy working, you douche.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Inziladun said:
Thought I'd go ahead and leave this gem here, :lol:

1ih0y8.jpg

The cries of Bioware employees hidden within the game. I pity the employees that DO care about making a decent game having to make this piece of shit.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Well the amulet takin over a year to deliver is still plot convenient.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom