Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Thief: The Decline Project! (Finished!)

Lost screenshots for minor quest. Have screenshots for next, more important quests. What do?

• Skip that shit and continue the LP

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Deliver every quest, even if it means replaying the whole questline, faggot

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Peter

Arcane
Dajaaj said:
Hey following that trail of blood it's almost like you're playing Thief 2 hurr durr

Holy shit, I'd forgotten about that. :lol:

I really should play through the Thief series again. Been a while.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
ScreenShot238.jpg

:salute:

Peter

Arcane
Bad news. Today I completed the next 4 quests in the game. Problem is, it didn't save the screenshots for the first of those 4. It's sort of a minor quest, so I thought I might skip it. Should I do that, or are you actually going to force me to make a new character and replay the game up to that point?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Peter said:
are you actually going to force me to make a new character and replay the game up to that point?

What do you think? :smug:

anus_pounder said:
How does the Rape Arrow work in this gem?

Inquiring minds wish to know.

lightbane

Arcane
Skip it, we can picture it will be a shitty quest... Also, when you're done, do the Dark Brotherhood quests, you know you want to do it...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Peter said:
Bad news. Today I completed the next 4 quests in the game. Problem is, it didn't save the screenshots for the first of those 4. It's sort of a minor quest, so I thought I might skip it. Should I do that, or are you actually going to force me to make a new character and replay the game up to that point?
Skip it, but explain what you done in it.
Your LP is entertaining and rage inducing at same time.

Peter

Arcane
Intermission 1: Explaining rope arrows (poorly)

lightbane said:
Also, when you're done, do the Dark Brotherhood quests, you know you want to do it...

I was thinking of doing it if I'm not too tired with the game by the end of the Thieves Guild questline. Though it doesn't really go hand in hand with the character of Garrett n' shit. Then again, neither does asking people how to steal their stuff and saving lizard men from vampires. Also, I've already done the initiation quest to get the nice stealth armor, but I guess that's not too important.

Since people keep asking for it, here's a (poor) explanation of rope arrows. I will also be posting one of the random thief missions from the Thieves Arsenal mod.

Intermission 1: Explaining rope arrows (poorly)

The rope arrows in the Thieves Arsenal mod can be best described as buggy. They will not work if you shoot an arrow directly into a wall. They only work on edges. Even then, they only work on certain edges. You're guaranteed to get onto rooftops in the Imperial City, as well as on indoor balconies. They don't work on overhead passes and balconies in dungeons. You have to be very precise about shooting the arrows into the most outer point of the edge.

I tried shooting some onto a building in Cheydinhal, but it didn't work. This can probably be explained by the fact that the wall wasn't a nice, flat surface, instead being covered in boards. None of these shots worked, even though I was aiming for the right point:

ScreenShot164.jpg

ScreenShot167.jpg

ScreenShot169.jpg

Here's a shot that did work, though:

ScreenShot170.jpg

ScreenShot171.jpg

ScreenShot172.jpg

Simply approach the rope and and look up to move up:

ScreenShot173.jpg

ScreenShot174.jpg

You can jump off of it in any direction as if you were jumping off of the ground to make getting up the ledges or across gaps easy.

To move down the rope, you simply look down. You stop descending once you reach the bottom of the rope. You can either move away or jump off to get off the rope.

ScreenShot175.jpg

Here you can see a successfully created rope on a rooftop ledge, and me trying to shoot one into this arc. I'm guessing it doesn't work because of how close to a wall it is:

ScreenShot177.jpg

ScreenShot179.jpg

Tl;dr

Usually don't work, but when they do, they work flawlessly. No real use for them in most quests, though, mostly just for dicking around.

I'm aware that I didn't explain them too well, so post if you've got a question about something. I'll add answers to this post.

Peter

Arcane
Intermission 2: Mod Mission

While I wait for a bunch some more votes, here's a randomly generated mission from the Thieves Arsenal mod. I must say, I had quite a bit of fun in this one, since you can't kill anyone and there isn't a 'perfect' solution, as there would be in a Thieves Guild quest, forcing you to use most of your tools. It actually plays like a legit stealth game. A shit one, but still a step up from vanilla Oblivion stealth.

===

As I walk through the Imperial City one day, a note is slipped into my hand.

ScreenShot180.jpg

Ah,this must be from Basso, my supplier. I like this guy's style. No prancing around pretending to be heroes like the Thieves Guild does.

ScreenShot181.jpg

ScreenShot182.jpg

Hmm, the fort is quite far out in the wild. I decide to start my journey from Skingrad.

ScreenShot183.jpg

This seems to be going- AH!

ScreenShot187.jpg

ScreenShot188.jpg

Everything is worse with bears. :(

ScreenShot190.jpg

That must be Kvatch up there. I wonder why the trees are barren.

ScreenShot191.jpg

Ah, there's the fort.

ScreenShot194.jpg

ScreenShot195.jpg

ScreenShot197.jpg

Looks like there's a necromancer and 4 or 5 undead here. The best course of action is to move around the outer wall, as close to the entrance as possible.

ScreenShot198.jpg

ScreenShot201.jpg

This is exciting.

The zombie guarding the door is moving away. It's now or never. Let's just hope the necromancer doesn't notice me.

ScreenShot202.jpg

ScreenShot203.jpg

Yes! I'm in.

A flurry of blackjacking ensues as I make my way through the fort.

ScreenShot204.jpg

ScreenShot207.jpg

ScreenShot208.jpg

It's all about just waiting for the right moment.

ScreenShot209.jpg

ScreenShot211.jpg

ScreenShot212.jpg

Oh man, I had really let myself go during my years in retirement.

ScreenShot213.jpg

ScreenShot214.jpg

ScreenShot215.jpg

Hmm, this guy doesn't seem to be bothering me. I'll just move around the statue and leave the guy alone.

ScreenShot217.jpg

Another guy up the stairs.

ScreenShot219.jpg

ScreenShot220.jpg

One last guy in this area.

ScreenShot222.jpg

ScreenShot223.jpg

ScreenShot224.jpg

We enter a new area.

ScreenShot225.jpg

ScreenShot226.jpg

Another necromancer, as well as an arrow trap. I'm somewhat tempted to lure the necromancer into the trap, but that is not guaranteed to work. I rather just stick to the blackjack.

ScreenShot227.jpg

What's that other body doing there?

ScreenShot228.jpg

Oh my. The guy seems to have killed himself by standing in the arrow trap. :lol:

ScreenShot230.jpg

We continue into the next area and- Ah!

ScreenShot231.jpg

Opening a door to see someone that near still makes me jump after all these years. Nonetheless, I blackjack the guy and keep moving.

ScreenShot233.jpg

Interesting.

ScreenShot234.jpg

ScreenShot235.jpg

Alright, one necromancer in the room to the left and one at the top of the stairs to the right. There's also one under the bridge. The one on the right seems to be the only one that might spot me as I move across, so I just wait for him to move further into the other room.

ScreenShot239.jpg

I come to this hall at the end of the overpass.

ScreenShot240.jpg

Simple enough.

I end up in the eastern part of the room with the overpass. As I said, there's one necromancer here.

ScreenShot241.jpg

ScreenShot242.jpg

ScreenShot243.jpg

ScreenShot244.jpg

This looks promising.

ScreenShot245.jpg

Right I am. This is probably what Basso wanted me to get.

Time to make my escape.

ScreenShot246.jpg

Hmm, this is problematic. The guy down there is sure to see me. I have an idea, though.

ScreenShot249.jpg

ScreenShot250.jpg

I shoot a noisemaker arrows under the overpass. While they are under it, I can safely move across.

This has sadly put a lot of the necromancers on high alert, though, as well as awoken the ones that I had knocked out.

ScreenShot252.jpg

ScreenShot253.jpg

ScreenShot254.jpg

This one is moving too erratically for me to pass or blackjack, so I lay down some grease for her to slip on with the grease arrow.

ScreenShot255.jpg

ScreenShot256.jpg

ScreenShot257.jpg

I manage to slip past the nearest one. The one further away, however...

ScreenShot258.jpg

ScreenShot259.jpg

Ah, back at this room. Again, there are two necromancers quite near to one another. The best course of action here is to...

ScreenShot260.jpg

ScreenShot261.jpg

...drop down on the other side of the room and...

ScreenShot263.jpg

ScreenShot264.jpg

ScreenShot265.jpg

... put out the lights.

ScreenShot266.jpg

ScreenShot267.jpg

Now I am able to move around and flank one of them, and leave the other there.

ScreenShot268.jpg

ScreenShot269.jpg

ScreenShot270.jpg

ScreenShot276.jpg

Getting past this one is proving to be quite hard, since she is moving erratically.

ScreenShot277.jpg

Still, with a bit of luck, I make it past the intersection.

ScreenShot278.jpg

Let's hope she's moving all the way across the intersection, as I'm making my way to the exit.

ScreenShot279.jpg

ScreenShot280.jpg

Nope, she saw me!

Might as well run now. Not like they'll catch me anyway.

ScreenShot281.jpg

ScreenShot282.jpg

Light is shining down on an altar.

I've almost lost them.

ScreenShot283.jpg

Yes, I've gotten away.

Time to head to Basso's to collect my reward.

ScreenShot284.jpg

ScreenShot285.jpg

ScreenShot286.jpg

ScreenShot287.jpg

:yeah:

Peter

Arcane
Part 8: Meeting the man

Damn, I forgot. Before getting the amulet for Basso, I also did another Thieves Guild assignment. Since Hieronymus Lex was disrupting the Guild activities in the Imperial City, and Lady Umbranox of Anvil was looking for a new Watch captain, I was asked to forge a recommendation letter with Lex as the best candidate. That way, he could not interfere with the guild and Lady Umbranox, whom the Gray Fox seems to be fond of, would have a loyal captain by her side. It's all very personal and stupid, and I'm glad I don't remember the details.

I received a note from Methredhel to meet the Gray Fox in person. Oddly enough, I don't really remember this encounter particularly well. The only thing I remember him saying is:

grayfoxicon.jpg
TEMPLE OF THE ANCESTOR MOTHS. SAVILLA'S STONE. MAEK IT HAPEN BRO. OMG IM SO DRUNK LOL

A person like that being in charge actually explains a lot of things about the guild.

The Temple of the Ancestor Moths is in the far North-East of Cyrodil, north of the city of Cheydinhal.

Time for some hiking.

ScreenShot236.jpg

ScreenShot237.jpg

ScreenShot239.jpg

ScreenShot240.jpg

On my hiking trip I come upon a bandit camp...

ScreenShot245.jpg

... as well as a shrine. I best leave these kooks alone. I think we all know what happens when I get involved with religious fanatics. :M

ScreenShot252.jpg

Ah, now I just have to move to the East a bit more.

ScreenShot253.jpg

ScreenShot258.jpg

What. :x :decline:

ScreenShot259.jpg

ScreenShot265.jpg

That must be the place.

ScreenShot266.jpg

Indeed it is. I talk to one of the monks in the little cottage.

ScreenShot267.jpg

Can you tell me about Savilla's stone?

ScreenShot268.jpg

Fuck. I think I know where this is going.

: x :x :Minigame: :x : x

ScreenShot269.jpg
ScreenShot270.jpg

ScreenShot271.jpg

He's willing to risk banishment because I played Relationship Roulette with him for 20 seconds. :x

Can you show me where the Catacombs are?

ScreenShot272.jpg

: x :x :Admire, Boast, Coerce, Joke: :x : x

ScreenShot273.jpg

ScreenShot274.jpg

:hmmm: :M :x

Let's just follow the asshole.

ScreenShot275.jpg

ScreenShot276.jpg

ScreenShot277.jpg

ScreenShot278.jpg

ScreenShot279.jpg

Thanks bro. Have fun being banished!

ScreenShot280.jpg

ScreenShot281.jpg

Holy shit, is this guy asking for it.

ScreenShot282.jpg

ScreenShot283.jpg

This will prove useful.

ScreenShot284.jpg

ScreenShot285.jpg

ScreenShot286.jpg

ScreenShot287.jpg

Woah! Just sit tight, guys.

ScreenShot288.jpg

ScreenShot289.jpg

This is odd.

ScreenShot290.jpg

ScreenShot291.jpg

Meh, not bad.

I turn around to-

ScreenShot292.jpg

ScreenShot293.jpg

Oh shit. That caught me off guard. Could it be? May I actually have to be careful for the first time in my Thieves Guild assignments?

Probably not. :M Let's move onwards.

ScreenShot295.jpg

ScreenShot296.jpg
ScreenShot297.jpg

[Intelligence]This must be where they sleep.

ScreenShot300.jpg

ScreenShot302.jpg

Caverns? Why would they be keeping the stone in caverns? Oh well, it's the only way forwards.

ScreenShot303.jpg

ScreenShot304.jpg

ScreenShot305.jpg

ScreenShot306.jpg

A swinging mace trap? Who do they think they're fooling with this? Protip: if you're protecting an ancient, magical stone, invest in some better defense systems.

ScreenShot310.jpg

ScreenShot311.jpg

ScreenShot312.jpg

Never gets old. :love:

ScreenShot313.jpg

ScreenShot314.jpg

[Intelligence] Spikes hurt me.

I take another tunnel.

ScreenShot317.jpg

A hidden passage? I must be getting close.

ScreenShot318.jpg

ScreenShot319.jpg

A rolling log trap. Seriously, only a sloth could get hurt by this.

ScreenShot321.jpg

ScreenShot322.jpg

ScreenShot324.jpg

The pressure plate triggers the swinging log. Again, very easy to avoid.

ScreenShot325.jpg

Damn, a ghost. I can't attack him since I don't have any silver arrows or enchanted weapons, so he's effectively blocking my way.

There is, luckily, another tunnel, though.

ScreenShot326.jpg

ScreenShot327.jpg

ScreenShot328.jpg

Yep, I'm very close.

ScreenShot330.jpg

Looks promising.

ScreenShot331.jpg

This is the place. Salvilla's stone is the glowing pink one on the right table. Now to get rid of the guardian.

ScreenShot332.jpg

ScreenShot333.jpg

ScreenShot334.jpg

As I move in, it becomes apparent that the black floating stone is, in fact, a defense mechanism.

ScreenShot335.jpg

I quickly grab the stone and run out of the pit.

ScreenShot336.jpg

What's this?

ScreenShot339.jpg

Ah, an exit. Excellent.

I find a parchment next to the ladder.

ScreenShot337.jpg

ScreenShot338.jpg

[Intelligence]This is about the cowl the Gray Fox is wearing.

Time to leave.

ScreenShot340.jpg

ScreenShot341.jpg

Can't get back down.

ScreenShot342.jpg

ScreenShot343.jpg

:smug:

I confront the guy about his cowl.

grayfoxicon.jpg
You think this is Nocturnal's Cowl? Where did you hear about that?

Read it in a book, dude. :M

grayfoxicon.jpg
I see. I suppose there's no hiding it from you. No hiding. What a joke! My whole life is a joke.

Oh, god damn it, here we go... :x

ScreenShot346.jpg

THEEYES.jpg

:retarded:

grayfoxicon.jpg
You and I have even met before, when I was not wearing the cowl. To your clouded memory he and I are two different people. My own family doesn't even know me. I would give much to be rid of the Gray Cowl and its curse.

ScreenShot349.jpg

Indeed I do. :smug:

grayfoxicon.jpg
Capital! Now I can see past the palace defenses. It's a good thing the Emperor didn't know thay had this stone. He would have had it destroyed or taken it from them and kept it under lock and key in the palace.

Wait, by the palace, you mean, like, the Imperial Palace? We're robbing the Imperial Palace? That might actually be a job on par with the ones I did in the past. :bounce:

ScreenShot352.jpg

:yeah:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This plot is pretty deep guys. He's like, way conflicted and deep, man.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fuck this shit, download the doom 3 and the dark mod, you'll be glad you did dood.

Peter

Arcane
Part 9: Are you a wizard?

Crooked Bee said:
It doesn't get more retarded than this.

:smug:

Part 9 is here.

===

ScreenShot356.jpg

Not you! : x

argonianicon.jpg
The Gray Fox has a task for you. Meet him at Malintus Ancus' house in Chorrol.

Alright, whatever. Let's go.

ScreenShot360.jpg

Chorrol is probably the most boring town in Cyrodil. And that's saying something.

ScreenShot361.jpg

The Gray Fox is waiting for us in one of the few small shacks in the town.

ScreenShot362.jpg

grayfoxicon.jpg
My work with Savilla's Stone has revealed that I need something special for my plans. It's a small item in the possession of a powerful court wizard. Will you do this for me? I will pay you well.

Aren't you like a master thief? Why aren't you stealing all this shit?

Whatever, I'll do it.

grayfoxicon.jpg
Capital! Bring me the Arrow of Extrication. It has a key shaped head. Bravil's court wizard, Fathis Aren, recently acquired this unique item. You may kill Fathis if necessary, but not in the castle. My soy network will tell me when you have it. Return here with the arrow when you do. Now we should get out of Malintus' house before we wear out our welcome.

I can kill the guy? So you just bend the guild rules as you please? And who the hell is in this spy network, and how do they know when I get the arrow? Why don't one of your spies get the arrow if they're following me anyway? :rage:

We head to Castle Bravil and the first person we ask about the wizard is, obviously, the count.

ScreenShot369.jpg

ScreenShot370.jpg

Dude, he's your court wizard. You should know what he's up to. :x

At least he tells us where we can find the wizard's room.

ScreenShot371.jpg

Hmm, can't really sneak past these guys. I do have a noisemaker arrow, though. :smug:

ScreenShot373.jpg

ScreenShot374.jpg

ScreenShot375.jpg

I enter the Private Quarters while they are distracted.

ScreenShot376.jpg

ScreenShot383.jpg

Here's his room. The arrow is nowhere to be seen.

ScreenShot385.jpg

Not in the only chest in the room too.

ScreenShot386.jpg

What's this?

ScreenShot387.jpg

ScreenShot388.jpg

ScreenShot389.jpg

Well, this is interesting.

ScreenShot390.jpg

ScreenShot392.jpg

Daedra. The count was right.

ScreenShot393.jpg

ScreenShot394.jpg

ScreenShot395.jpg

ScreenShot396.jpg

ScreenShot397.jpg

Ah!

ScreenShot398.jpg

Horrible creatures. :(

ScreenShot399.jpg

ScreenShot401.jpg

More of them!

ScreenShot402.jpg

ScreenShot403.jpg

ScreenShot404.jpg

ScreenShot406.jpg

Might that have been the court wizard?

No. :M

ScreenShot407.jpg

How I know that this apple is poisoned is beyond me. Not that I'm complaining.

Wait. Actually, I am complaining.

:x

ScreenShot408.jpg

ScreenShot410.jpg

ScreenShot411.jpg

ScreenShot412.jpg

I don't find the arrow here. Time to head back down into Mudcrab Ponds. :(

ScreenShot413.jpg

ScreenShot414.jpg

ScreenShot415.jpg

First mudcrabs, now rats. This place will be the end of me.

ScreenShot416.jpg

I'm back at the beginning. :x

ScreenShot417.jpg

Ah, haven't explored beyond that big pool of water.

ScreenShot419.jpg

ScreenShot423.jpg

Damn. Looks deep. I've come prepared though.

ScreenShot422.jpg

ScreenShot424.jpg

ScreenShot425.jpg

ScreenShot426.jpg

ScreenShot427.jpg

Knew I had to dive in. :smug:

ScreenShot428.jpg

ScreenShot429.jpg

ScreenShot430.jpg

ScreenShot431.jpg

More daedra.

ScreenShot432.jpg

ScreenShot434.jpg

ScreenShot435.jpg

Getting close.

ScreenShot436.jpg

ScreenShot437.jpg

So many choices. :retarded:

ScreenShot438.jpg

ScreenShot439.jpg

Nothing in the room behind the door, so we head upstairs.

ScreenShot441.jpg

ScreenShot442.jpg

ScreenShot443.jpg

ScreenShot445.jpg

ScreenShot446.jpg

ScreenShot165.jpg

ScreenShot166.jpg

I take out the wizard and his pet and...

ScreenShot167.jpg

ScreenShot168.jpg

ScreenShot169.jpg

This must be the place.

ScreenShot170.jpg

ScreenShot174.jpg

ScreenShot175.jpg

There he is.

ScreenShot176.jpg

ScreenShot178.jpg

Ah, we've found what we came for. Time to return to the Gray Fox.

ScreenShot179.jpg

ScreenShot180.jpg

Hmm, the caverns took us quite far away from Bravil.

ScreenShot181.jpg

DONOTMINDME.jpg

:lol:

Uhh, only the arrowhead, not the whole arrow.

grayfoxicon.jpg
Hmmm. I had hoped for the whole arrow, but that is not your fault. I will have to have it repaired. This arrowhead advances my plan to... nevermind.

Drop it, dude. We all know you're planning on robbing the Imperial Palace.

grayfoxicon.jpg
I may have need of you again in the near future, if my plans hold.

ScreenShot184.jpg

FUUUYEEAAHH-.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom