Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind mods are a fucking jungle

mariog

Educated
Morrowind can become a genuinely great game if well-modded.

At the very least, be sure to get some quest mods such as Tamriel Rebuilt, Havish, Lothavor's Legacy etc. Galsiah's Character Development is pretty much mandatory for me, as are the LGNPC series and Living Cities of Vvardenfell.

Also, someone has recently translated Kalendaar, a big quest mod (previously french-only) which is very, very good - they say their main inspiration was Daggerfall and it really shows.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Gragt said:
Daemongar said:
I think there is also a mod I once used to add a an imp in Peligrad who always had 5000 gp to buy your junk. This was great at first, then I came to rely on that little dude too much. Makes it too easy to buy training/game leveling.

Not sure if there is a mod that adds a scamp in Pelagiad but there is Creeper in Caldera that serves a similar function and is part of the base game.

Ah, thanks. You are right, he was in by default in Morrowind. I was confusing one of the purchasable expansions for Oblvion, which adds a fellow into the game with 2k gold, right outside IC. I'm trying to think of the expansion (someting Razor?) but you probably know it, if you can remmeber that it was Caldera and not Pelingrad.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Daemongar said:
[I was confusing one of the purchasable expansions for Oblvion, which adds a fellow into the game with 2k gold, right outside IC. I'm trying to think of the expansion (someting Razor?)
Mehrunes's Razor? I thought it was Mage Tower that added that chick in one of the shops in the IC (not outside), which IIRC was the best one to sell items to.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Guys the Exe Optimizer is a must! (after applying the code patch)

It appears to have eliminated the crashes, and now that MWSE works, only thing missing is the distant land.

DraQ

Arcane
Leimrey said:
And by that I mean the fact that the player had to do some digging (read some books, converse with non-story related characters) in order to uncover many political intrigues/rumors.
Yes, this part was cool as it was strongly intertwinned with the backstory.

It was pretty easy to create the "complete" picture of events in your head without digging too much in the game's lore and fail to understand, that the mosaic is much more complex than that and is missing a lot of pieces.
And this is the backstory.
The main part of the story is essentially the chosen-one-vs-ancient-evil schtick, except given spiffy paint job and a whole bunch of twists, beginning with the chosen one thing being suspicious at best, ending with the ancient evil not being actually evil.

As for the Creeper and Crab everyone should stay the fuck away from them. They are easter-eggs and should be treated as such, not as fonts of infinite wealth.

Vagiel

Augur
mariog said:
Morrowind can become a genuinely great game if well-modded.

At the very least, be sure to get some quest mods such as Tamriel Rebuilt, Havish, Lothavor's Legacy etc. Galsiah's Character Development is pretty much mandatory for me, as are the LGNPC series and Living Cities of Vvardenfell.

Also, someone has recently translated Kalendaar, a big quest mod (previously french-only) which is very, very good - they say their main inspiration was Daggerfall and it really shows.

Do you have any more information about the translated french mod. I can only find info on the french version.

Any more sugestions on quest mods? Everyone seems to focus on graphics mods which are the main reason they only play 5 minutes and then quit. I was trying to find a lore friendly list but things seem hazy beyond what you mentioned. Thanks

Nukester

Novice
Ive installed this game a billion times, spending hours and hours finding and installing mods, only to uninstall by the time I leave Balmora. I love exploration games, with Gothic I and II being the best examples Ive played, but I cant get into this one. So the last time I installed, I said fuck it Im keeping the mods to a minimum, and this is what I settled on:

- All of the official mods (AreaEffectArrows, LeFemmArmor, etc)
- Last official patch and the Unofficial patch
- Better Bodies, Heads, Clothes
- Morrowind Code Patch
- Where are all the birds going
- NPC LVC Locks (the one where shopkeepers lock their doors at night)
- Service Requirments
- Better Beasts (and some neck fix)
- Weathered Signs
- Skip Tutorial

Thats what I have installed. Not that I ever play the game anyways, but if the urge is there, I try it every now and again

Eyeball

Arcane
Personally, a mod I've always loved is the Combat Enhanced mod. While kinda campy, the added dismemberment effects and combos make the vanilla-meh combat a lot more involving and even makes an unarmed fighter character completely viable through the neck-snap combo.

Trailer showing all the different new combat moves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxJE9KKI ... 3A&index=2

Don't worry about the bullettime if you don't like it, using it is entirely optional.

Link to download: http://www.freewebs.com/aerelorn/

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can't. I just can't. I tried MW like 5 times, never got past 2 hours gameplay. The settings and atmosphere still greatly intrigue me and I was hoping to find a way to actually get "into" the game, but just looking at the sheer plethora of mods makes me puke.

Selecting the good mods seems to be harder than playing the game itself. I wish there was a magic .exe which did all the magic, or at least some "consensus approved" list of sort...

Tycn

Savant
Eyeball said:
Personally, a mod I've always loved is the Combat Enhanced mod. While kinda campy, the added dismemberment effects and combos make the vanilla-meh combat a lot more involving and even makes an unarmed fighter character completely viable through the neck-snap combo.

Trailer showing all the different new combat moves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxJE9KKI ... 3A&index=2

Don't worry about the bullettime if you don't like it, using it is entirely optional.

Link to download: http://www.freewebs.com/aerelorn/
That trailer looks tacky as fuck. Also you've linked to a playlist, and the next video is rather jarring.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Play without mods then. I'd recommend it anyway for the first playthrough. You may want to install MGE, better bodies and faces but that's just all.

DraQ

Arcane
Jools said:
I can't. I just can't. I tried MW like 5 times, never got past 2 hours gameplay. The settings and atmosphere still greatly intrigue me and I was hoping to find a way to actually get "into" the game, but just looking at the sheer plethora of mods makes me puke.

Selecting the good mods seems to be harder than playing the game itself. I wish there was a magic .exe which did all the magic, or at least some "consensus approved" list of sort...
Then play vanilla.

You don't really *need* mods, just official patches and MCP.

You can also search the forums for the list of what I use and choose and pick from those.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
DraQ said:
Jools said:

Then play vanilla.

You don't really *need* mods, just official patches and MCP.

You can also search the forums for the list of what I use and choose and pick from those.

Thanks, I will do some enquiring, then...

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Installing morrowind.
The process goes:
1) Install morrowind, tribunal and bloodmoon, patch, backup the exe, use a cd mini-image not a no cd if you want that. The exe needs to be pure as snow.

2) get the mods in some dir

3) install wrye mash

4) unzip mlox to the morrowind dir (you also want to grab the latest data file for this one and drop into the mlox dir. Unfortunately, autoupdate is not a feature yet)

5) get and install (unzip into the MW dir) MWSE or MGE (if you want distant land)

6) install and use the morrowind code patch (it's a exe hack with many bugfixes and options)

7) use the timeslip exeoptimizer (it prevents crashes. Use it)
7a) At this point, i personally zipped the whole dir + a batch file + some registry settings to backup and make the game portable and with my preferred key settings. If you're curious, just pm me, but it's done for a wine environment so windows would be harder.

8) Install the mods with wrye mash. One mod you will REALLY want is the Morrowind Patch Project. You might need to repackage some of them (i would counsel you to remove the optional plugins you don't need, just rename their extension inside the archive, if you plan to keep the mods, it streamlines things a little when you want to replay a year later or something and are updating some mods. Don't forget to select them in the mods tab after installing (this is what takes me the most time nowadays, Wrye didn't implement a "select all" yet - i made a patch applied to this version of mash that does this, right click on the esp list header - though load lists are almost as good for most people - not for me though, since i delete the "windows" drive regularly).

Also, a note: mlox is a tool to order mods to minimize conflicts automatically, but it only works for plugins since plugins can't overwrite other plugins (each is unique).
There is a class of mods that mlox can't order, and these are the mods that replace texture/meshes. For these you should use the installer of wrye mash to order from the "base" texture replacers to the more specific ones. So for instance, you love Vurt's tree replacers, but would like all remaining morrowind trees to have correct UV textures from CorrectUVTrees. CorrectUVTrees would have to be installed first on the wrye mash list, since otherwise it would replace all those cool vurt trees. You can do this with the right mouse button and "move to" CorrectUVTrees to a lesser position than VurtTreeWhatever on the installers tab of wrye before installing them.
You only should do this for texture/meshes mods, and only if they have conflicts. Mlox handles the rest.

9) use mlox to auto-solve the order conflicts of the mods that are solvable (it warns you if they aren't solvable, links you to updates, patches to solve conflicts, etc).

10) now you have to use MGEgui.exe to generate the distant land for your mod list (if and only if you used MGE above - i don't use it).

11) use either the MWSE launcher (if you use MWSE standalone) or morrowind.exe (if you used MGE) to launch the game

Easy right :M

Here is my mod list (just the file names, not really the mod name). Many of these need MWSE or MGE (MWSE is included in MGE)
Following all of the steps above is almost obligatory.
Code:
abotGuars117.zip
abotSextants1.3.zip
abotWaterLife118.7z
abotWhereAreAllBirdsGoing115.7z
adamantiumarmor.zip
Adj_Magicka Regen.zip
Advanced_Alchemy_v13.zip
AllConnaryTextures.rar
Almalexia_Replacer.rar
Amulet_Icarianflight.zip
AmuletOfScryeV1.15f1.zip
Arakhors_Vampire_Alchemist.rar
Assassination_2.0.rar
ATDX.7z
Bank_v24.zip
bbnoinstall.7z
beast_better_bodies.zip
Belt_of_blinding_speed.zip
betterbooksv1.zip
betterclothes_ver1.1.zip
better_heads11.rar
Better_Skulls.7z
Better Telekinesis.rar
bjam_Aragon_at_MWSEpatch_v1.0.7z
Bloodmoon_Landscape_Overhaul_1.0.7z
BooksofVvardenfell_21.zip
BPC_MWSE_1.2.zip
BT_Lokken_child1_1.zip
BT_Whitewolf_2_1.zip
Building_Up_Uviriths_Legacy.7z
Cave_Texture_Fix_V10.7z
clean_ebartifact.zip
clean_nevenastlsh15.zip
cm_assassin_2.0.zip
Combat Angle Adjustment.rar
correctUVrocks10.rar
darkermorrowindwindowsglow.zip
Dark_Uvirith_Exterior.rar
delayeddbattack.zip
Detect Owner.rar
Dialogue Closer of Doom.rar
Dirty Deeds.rar
Divine Domina.zip
DNGDRv1.zip
DNTexturesAllMerged.zip
Enchantable_Gloves_of_the_Bal_Molagmer_Readme.zip
Enchantment Multiplier.7z
Enhanced Detection.rar
Entertainers Expanded.zip
firemoth1.1.zip
flask_replacer.zip
Frostmoth_Docks_Expanded.rar
frostmoth_repaired_v0_31.zip
galurrithariv3.rar
GHD-_GDR_Patch.rar
GraphicHerbalism.7z
Graphic_Herbalism_TR.7z
Gravedigger.rar
greathousedagoth104.zip
Grimoas_Signposts_for_Tamriel_Rebuilt_Map1-18343.zip
healers_v1.zip
Ice_FemaleSteelCuirass.7z
IceNioLiv_RobeReplacer.zip
Ices_BMIce_NordicMail_Cuirass.7z
Ices_Glass_Cuirass.7z
Improved_Bartering.rar
Improved_No_Glow_v1.zip
Improved_Positioning.zip
Julan_Ashlander_Companion_1.3.7z
Keyring.rar
k_in_tent.zip
k_weather.zip
LadyD_Reduced_Commentary.rar
lefemmarmor1.1.zip
Less_Generic_Bloodmoon_v1_2.zip
Less_Generic_Nerevarine_v1_21.zip
Less_Generic_Tribunal_v_1_1.zip
Lexas_Picks_n_Probes_Fix_1.00.7z
lgnpc_aldruhn_1.20.zip
lgnpc_aldruhn_suppl_1.20.zip
lgnpc_ald_velothi_1.20.zip
lgnpc_gnaar_mok_1.10.zip
lgnpc_hla_oad_1.32.zip
lgnpc_indarys_1.51.zip
lgnpc_khuul_2.10.zip
lgnpc_maar_gan_1.20.zip
lgnpc_nolore_0.83.zip
lgnpc_paxredoran_1.20.zip
lgnpc_pelagiad_1.22.zip
lgnpc_secret_masters_1.30.zip
lgnpc_seyda_neen_0.31.zip
lgnpc_soul_sickness_patch.zip
lgnpc_tel_mora_1.20.zip
lgnpc_tel_uvirith_1.20.zip
lgnpc_vfq_2.10.zip
lgnpc_vivec_redoran_1.50.zip
Librarian1.04.7z
library_portable_v12c.zip
LightTheWay_Scripted.zip
Little_Secrets_11.zip
Madd_Leveler_v1b.zip
Magic_Border_Icon_Replacers.zip
MannequinsForSale.zip
MapDeluxe.zip
Mashed Lists.zip
Master Trainers.zip
mcm_1.zip
mel_tpp_1_3.7z
Merchant_Investments.rar
MeshImprovements171.zip
Meteors.zip
Misc_Items_Replacer.zip
MoreBetterClothes.rar
MPP-BETA-165.zip
MWlib_1_5.7z
NGE V1.zip
NX9_guards_complete-27765.zip
Persuasion Response Expansion v4.zip
Protective_Guards.rar
Psy_Azura_Replacer1.7z
Psy_VGRCreatureEdition_(concept)_1.2.zip
quarraclan_0126.zip
quickchar1.2.zip
rationalwildlife.zip
reflective_gold.zip
RoHT v1.5.7z
seekersfactionfinal_0815.zip
Silverware_Enhancer_v20.rar
sm_ForgottenHalls21.rar
Sottildes_Codebook.rar
sqd_vile_vamphider.zip
Starfire_Over_Telvannis_8.zip
Starfires_NPC_Additions_111.rar
SWG_s_Skies_v3_fixed.zip
telvanni_meshes.rar
Texture_Fix_18.7z
Texture_Fix__TR__10.7z
tg_aldruhn_tweak_0813.zip
The_Forgottenhalls.rar
The Imperial Legion Badge.zip
The_Neverhalls_v10.7z
thiefsdisguisekit.zip
TravelingMerchants_v2-2.zip
Trimmed_Down_Morrowind_12.rar
TR_Map2_AntediluvianSecrets.7z
Unique_Jewelry_and_Accessories.rar
UvirithsLegacy2.0.7z
v102b.rar
vampiredreamsreduction.zip
vampire_werewolf12.zip
viveccantonsignsv1.1.zip
vivec_signposts.rar
Vurts_Ascadian_Isles_Mod_24a.rar
VURTS_BC_TREES_07c.rar
Vurts_Lava_and_Smoke11a.zip
Vurts_Leafy_West_Gash_20a.rar
Vurts_Silt_Strider_Retexture.rar
WanderersofSolstheim11.zip
weatheredsigns1.1_0606.zip
were-realism1_7.zip
werevampire_realsim_patch.zip
werewolf_evolution10.zip
werewolfforget.zip
Wilderness Sounds 3.0.zip
WolfCuirassMod.7z
yagrumadvanced20.zip

I understand completely the people that want a compilation of the mods. Unfortunately most people have no fucking taste. For instance, that amulet of icarian flight up there, is a cheat.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
-_-

Just looking at the list and the instructions makes me feel like quitting on this idea already... I don't think I am enough of a nerd to go through all of that just to play MW. Or maybe I'll try vanilla again, after all.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
And, looking at your previous message, my mod list wont be to your need either.

Just use the Morrowind patch project then.

DraQ

Arcane
Jools said:
-_-

Just looking at the list and the instructions makes me feel like quitting on this idea already... I don't think I am enough of a nerd to go through all of that just to play MW. Or maybe I'll try vanilla again, after all.
Again, play vanilla or with just WGI modular (items and magic fixes are very useful). And install MCP. Other than that, you're good.

My own list is <80 plugins long (some mods are modular, if you counted just individual mods, you'd probably get half of that number) and most are minor, almost cosmetic plugins accummulated over the years, they wouldn't be worth it if I had to hunt them down and download again individually.

Some, like WGI, Adul's Advanced Combat, or whatever version of dodge mod I have installed, can be worth it, but they are still not necessary to just play the game.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm very patient.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom