Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Work in progress - now with lighting!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Day
Night

Like the titles sez, it's a work in PROGRESS. Far from finished, but we are getting there.
Comments?

Crichton

Prophet
looks fine, I see everyone from the previous screenie except goldenrod, what happened? Did he get axed?

Vault Dweller

Developer
He wasn't happy with his armor, and since he kept the receipt, he took it back to the store. He should be back shortly with some manly armor.

The moral of this story: always keep your receipts until you are completely satisfied with the merchandise!

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
Barrels are much improved, thank you :) The corners of the tents' cloth don't seem to stick up any longer. Might be just a camera angle trick.

Skirts are too tight still - unless the raiders are into whoring as well.
The more I look at the more the objects seem to float above the ground. The effect is much less pronounced for raiders (I suspect the shadows help a lot) and on the 'night' scene.
The chest looks worse now.

Surlent

Liturgist
That's some cool lighting there. I see the daylight scene also has shadows now.

Vault Dweller

Developer
ichpokhudezh said:
Barrels are much improved, thank you :)
You are welcome. I just forwarded the art guys your bitchings...er, I meant your constructive criticism :), and they tweaked them a bit.

They are not wearing any underwear, and we are shooting for PG-13 rating :lol: Yeah, I know, we are tweaking them now.

The more I look at the more the objects seem to float above the ground. The effect is much less pronounced for raiders (I suspect the shadows help a lot) and on the 'night' scene. The chest looks worse now.
You never happy, are you? I give, and I give, and I give, but it's never enough *sighs* Chests would be improved, the floating effect is probably here to stay.

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
I just forwarded the art guys your bitchings...
Here's another one: same as armor, can your artist make the barrels look weathered? Right now the barrels are brand-spanking new and made from untreated lumber.

Vault Dweller said:
They are not wearing any underwear, and we are shooting for PG-13 rating :lol: Yeah, I know, we are tweaking them now.
Let me guess, you are trying to make breastplates to look more pronounced?

the floating effect is probably here to stay.
Too bad but oh well. Is it possible to set brightness level for the 'floor' lower? This seems to help on the night shop.

Vault Dweller

Developer
ichpokhudezh said:
Vault Dweller said:
I just forwarded the art guys your bitchings...
Here's another one: same as armor, can your artist make the barrels look weathered? Right now the barrels are brand-spanking new and made from untreated lumber.
Will do

Let me guess, you are trying to make breastplates to look more pronounced?
No, we are trying to make breasts more pronounced. After all, you can't have breastplates without breasts!

Too bad but oh well. Is it possible to set brightness level for the 'floor' lower? This seems to help on the night shop.
We can try.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
@ichpokhudezh

The chest looks worse now.

We haven't worked on chests yet. Those are just placeholders, to be honest. We tried to focus on more important things. Btw, we are not only tweaking existing models/textures - several guys are always busy working on new stuff.
So, don't worry, we won't forget about chests,barrels and everything else.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Huh? No bitching? Come on, guys, don't go soft on me!

Anyway, am I to understand that the majority is happy with the current level of visuals (plus few minor tweakings) and that I can finally focus on the game mechanics again? I'll post some dialogue screens for your amusement next time.

corvax

Augur
Big improvement over the last screens. Tents are still awkward but look much better at night :wink:

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
It actually looks really good. Though I suppose the real test will be to see cities/towns with more detail.

I'll repeat my last Q, you can ignore it again if you'd like. When do you estimate it coming out if you stick with torque?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sorry, didn't mean to ignore it last time, just forgot to reply. I can't answer that until we have "the look". Once we have something that most people are happy with, than it's relatively easy to estimate the time needed to put everything together.

We are definitely sticking with Torque, and to give you some idea, I don't see it taking us more than a year. Likely, we are talking about 6-8 months, but I don't want to promise anything.

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
Flashback said:
@ichpokhudezh

So, don't worry, we won't forget about chests,barrels and everything else.
What, me worry? :shock:

Thanks, anyhow.

Once you loosen the skirts on mighty raiders we'll see how their poses will look. Right now they are understandably stiff.

Looked through the prior thread. Do you guys have only direct light sources in the engine or can you make diffused sources? I'd say diffused should work much better in them realistically eroding forestation areas.

And another piece of bitching - the fire shines bright yellow toward the spectators (i.e. me) but the actors (raiders/barrels/ground) somehow reflect mostly red.

Zli

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Day
Night

Like the titles sez, it's a work in PROGRESS. Far from finished, but we are getting there.
Comments?

:) If it's ever finnished, how would you sell it and for how much? I've seen those dialogue shots, and with graphics like this...

Just one thing - how much trouble would it be to add a black spot on the ground beneath the fire in the day shot? It's not that important, put I'd put it in the same line as weathered barrels.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Zli said:
If it's ever finnished, how would you sell it and for how much?
Internet download, $20-25 depending on how greedy I feel when the game is finished.:wink:

Just one thing - how much trouble would it be to add a black spot on the ground beneath the fire in the day shot? It's not that important, put I'd put it in the same line as weathered barrels.
Shouldn't be very complicated

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom