Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play:Codexians of Rage vs the Temple of Elemental Evil

dolio

Scholar
Sorcerers get to switch out spells, but not every level. On the even levels, you can switch out one spell from the levels that are at least two below your maximum level.

So, at level 4, you can swap a level 0 spell, at 6 you can swap a level 0 or 1 spell, at level 8, you can swap out a 2 or below, etc. Same for bards, except it happens at levels 5, 8, 11, 14, etc.

dolio said:
Sorcerers get to switch out spells, but not every level. On the even levels, you can switch out one spell from the levels that are at least two below your maximum level.

So, at level 4, you can swap a level 0 spell, at 6 you can swap a level 0 or 1 spell, at level 8, you can swap out a 2 or below, etc. Same for bards, except it happens at levels 5, 8, 11, 14, etc.

Damn, guess I'll be stuck with sleep for a long time. Really annoying how it triggers on immune/high HD foes it can't affect and wastes its uses. :(

RK47 said:
Oh, you'll get to the moathouse, no worries. Also, some of the townsfolk have decent magic items on them, part of the reason why you should go through homlett is to get some of these...holy longsword among them IIRC.

If you can tell me a way to get it by talking to 2 or less NPCs within 30 feet of each other then please do so. Else we will make do without.

dolio

Scholar
The holy longsword is a pain in the ass to get. It's the dowry for marrying Meleny. First you need a high-charisma dude to get her to agree (which seems utterly ridiculous to me; she's ready to marry you after like three conversations; she's a decent druid for your party, though), then you need to solve the situation which allows the older sister to marry, which involves running all over town multiple times.

Is sleep really wasting uses? The lowest hit dice creatures are supposed to be chosen first. But perhaps it's implemented incorrectly.

dolio said:
The holy longsword is a pain in the ass to get. It's the dowry for marrying Meleny. First you need a high-charisma dude to get her to agree (which seems utterly ridiculous to me; she's ready to marry you after like three conversations; she's a decent druid for your party, though), then you need to solve the situation which allows the older sister to marry, which involves running all over town multiple times.

Damn, and I would like a druid too (much more then I would care about a sword that noone in my party really needs). Are there any druid NPCs that are easy to get?

dolio said:
Is sleep really wasting uses? The lowest hit dice creatures are supposed to be chosen first. But perhaps it's implemented incorrectly.

Not entirely sure about HD since I obviously can't see that, but it will certainly waste its HD allotment on sleep-immune foes instead of those it can actually affect.

dolio

Scholar
Overweight Manatee said:
Damn, and I would like a druid too (much more then I would care about a sword that noone in my party really needs). Are there any druid NPCs that are easy to get?
I don't know if there are any other recruitable druids at all, barring your giving some other character druid levels when you level them up. It's difficult to determine who would work well for that, though, because NPC stats are hidden. I'm pretty sure Meleny has 18 wisdom, which is hard to beat. I guess you could calculate each character's approximate wisdom by looking at their will save.

If you want to get Meleny, I think you have to:

• 1. Talk to carpenter (I think that's right; his house is south of the mayor's house) about converting to druidism
    2. Talk to Jaroo about converting the guy
    3. Talk to Terjon about converting the leather worker to Cuthbertism in exchange for the carpenter
    4. Loot either the scroll or the potion of heal from the book case on the second floor of the Cuthbert church
    5. Use heal on the leather worker's retarded brother, making him no longer retarded, and tell the leather worker it's a St. Cuthbert miracle
    6. Go back to Terjon to get his permission for the carpenter to convert to druidism
    7. Go talk to Jaroo about doing the conversion again
    8. (Maybe) talk to the carpenter dude again
    9. Finally get Meleny
It might be possible to shorten that list a little, but not much.

Incidentally, if you ever want to buy masterwork leather armor in Hommlet, you'll have to heal the brother of the leather worker (and I'm not sure it's sold anywhere else). Also, if you talk to the mayor (he has the house in the east with a stone wall around it), there's a decent battle against some orcs in a cave you can do.

Overweight Manatee said:
Not entirely sure about HD since I obviously can't see that, but it will certainly waste its HD allotment on sleep-immune foes instead of those it can actually affect.
Ah. I guess that's probably not an incorrect implementation. The text of the spell doesn't say anything about skipping creatures that are immune.

dolio said:
Overweight Manatee said:
I don't know if there are any other recruitable druids at all, barring your giving some other character druid levels when you level them up. It's difficult to determine who would work well for that, though, because NPC stats are hidden. I'm pretty sure Meleny has 18 wisdom, which is hard to beat. I guess you could calculate each character's approximate wisdom by looking at their will save.

If you want to get Meleny, I think you have to:

• 1. Talk to carpenter (I think that's right; his house is south of the mayor's house) about converting to druidism
    2. Talk to Jaroo about converting the guy
    3. Talk to Terjon about converting the leather worker to Cuthbertism in exchange for the carpenter
    4. Loot either the scroll or the potion of heal from the book case on the second floor of the Cuthbert church
    5. Use heal on the leather worker's retarded brother, making him no longer retarded, and tell the leather worker it's a St. Cuthbert miracle
    6. Go back to Terjon to get his permission for the carpenter to convert to druidism
    7. Go talk to Jaroo about doing the conversion again
    8. (Maybe) talk to the carpenter dude again
    9. Finally get Meleny
It might be possible to shorten that list a little, but not much.

:what:

Business as usual for Hommlet I suppose.

dolio said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Ah. I guess that's probably not an incorrect implementation. The text of the spell doesn't say anything about skipping creatures that are immune.

Well thats just silly. If I cast sleep on a goblin and a rock is in between me and him then he gets hit, but if a rock Golem is in between me and him the spell decides that it needs to go on the Golem instead of the goblin? :retarded:

dolio

Scholar
Overweight Manatee said:
Business as usual for Hommlet I suppose.
That does solve multiple quests, I think. The retarded brother thing is probably a quest in itself, and it gets you the masterwork armor. Enabling the carpenter to convert is part of another quest to get a barn built for Meleny's father (although there's still a bunch more shit to do for that; you have to convince him that he's mourned for his wife enough, and then fix him up with the widow, with steps in between). Converting people for Terjon is also a quest, I think.

But yeah, it's a lot of running back and forth.

Overweight Manatee said:
Well thats just silly. If I cast sleep on a goblin and a rock is in between me and him then he gets hit, but if a rock Golem is in between me and him the spell decides that it needs to go on the Golem instead of the goblin? :retarded:
So, I went and reread the SRD entry, and it says:

SRD said:
Sleep does not target unconscious creatures, constructs, or undead creatures.
So if it's doing that, it's wrong. Are you sure it isn't just skipping the undead creatures and displaying a message to that effect?

That doesn't solve all potential problems. For instance, if you target an area with a level 2 elf and a level 3 human, 2 of the hit dice will be expended on the elf, which is immune to sleep, and the 2 left over won't be enough to attempt to put the 3rd level guy to sleep. But if you have a 2nd level human standing in a crowd of 1 HD skeletons, it shouldn't be a problem.

Using sleep in the battle against the undead guys, it displayed a message that 2 of the undead were immune to the effects and the other, living guys didn't even have to roll to save against the effects.

dolio

Scholar
In that case, I'll report it, and see if Co8 can fix it.

Edit: So, I reported it. And according to the folks there, the 'don't target undead or constructs' bits are set on the spell.

Also, I tested it out by going to Emridy meadows and casting sleep on myself (at level 2) in a group of 4 skeletons. I did it twice, and both times required me to make a saving throw, despite it displaying the immunity message for all 4 skeletons.

dolio said:
In that case, I'll report it, and see if Co8 can fix it.

Edit: So, I reported it. And according to the folks there, the 'don't target undead or constructs' bits are set on the spell.

Also, I tested it out by going to Emridy meadows and casting sleep on myself (at level 2) in a group of 4 skeletons. I did it twice, and both times required me to make a saving throw, despite it displaying the immunity message for all 4 skeletons.

That's odd, I certainly saw both undead show that they were immune and the clearly alive enemies never had to try the will save. Maybe some of the undead enemies in Welkwood Bog aren't correctly flagged as undead? Or maybe its just a random engine bug, that wouldn't seem to be out of the question for a Troika game and ToEE in particular. I'm certainly seeing the correct effect when I threw a spell at myself in Emridy Meadows.

First thing we do is pay a visit to the mage tower. He has nothing to say about the rainbow rock unfortunately. We do buy a grease scroll off him and Spugnoir puts it in his spell book. Sadly, there are no enlarge person scrolls, though he seems to have most everything else.

Afterwords, Spugnoir produces a few grease scrolls of his own. They are pretty dirt cheap at 12 gold / 1 XP and this will give us a few backup castings in cast things go bad.

At this time I decide that we should really get to know what the potions and scrolls we are carrying are. So we cast read magic. On every single one of them. This takes a while, and I'm prepared to show the pain.

Such a nice pretty animation to waste my time looking at while I identify scrolls isn't it?

We check the Inn to see if anyone knows about rainbow rock. Innkeepers are supposed to be smart and know all about stuff, right?

This drunk guy wants in my party, but I say no since I don't need another fighter.

We talk to this guy and try to catch him cheating in cards. We do manage to do this after a few hands, but oddly enough we broke even so he must be pretty shitty at the whole cheating bit.

Catching him gets us a free room here to rest in.

Also, for some reason exposing him as a cheater makes him want to join us. Why? Its a mystery.

He's a 4th level rogue which rounds out our party neatly, and his skills are adequate.

Well, we are having troubles finding this rainbow rock. I checked the mage, the innkeeper, the mayor, the druid, and the cleric, they all told me either nothing or that it was a myth. I don't know if I am supposed to question every single townsperson or if doing Welkwood set some kind of flag to skip the early quests, but Google told me where to go.

Here we are at Emridy Meadows. I like the detailed area descriptions that pop up when you first arrive at places like this.

As soon as we start exploring we encounter some undead.

We charge at them but unfortunately the people hitting are the ones that do no damage. Their archers are hurting and their spear user is abusing his increased range a bit too intelligently for a mindless creature.

Serious takes a nasty critical but Dolores gets a trip.

Eventually we start getting the hits we should and I stop letting that spear skeleton rape us by 5 foot stepping into his range before attacking, which allows us to clean up this attack and heal up.

We start exploring and mopping up random individual skeletons. Eventually we run into a really large group. Yeesh uses turn undead to make pretty much all of them cower and/or run.

We clean up this fight without a problem...

:x
...Unfortunately, the enemies that ran away still stayed in combat with us. Meaning we were forced to chase after them across the entire map in turn based mode. If there is a way of ending combat in ToEE outside of it doing so automatically, I don't know how. I also have no idea how to handle this, since I don't know where they ran off to and my party isn't exactly in the best shape to chase after them and run into more undead hordes.

The solution is Power Word: Reload. I do all of this crap over again, including the painfully tedious casting of read magic on EVERY SINGLE SCROLL AND POTION.

Fuck this shit, we're going to the moathouse.

Again, nice intro dialog telling you about the area. Its one thing to have these in old games where you can't see shit, but ToEE is already a very beautiful game and this just further adds to that atmosphere. Almost enough for me to forgive the horrible design flaws that every Troika game has. Almost.

Immediately, we are attacked by giant frogs. Again, I have to reiterate how good these look. Especially when they have their tongues around Dolores, trying to wring the life out of her. Dunno how I didn't get a screenshot of that, it must have fallen through the cracks.

The Frogs are pretty easy opponents though, simple hack and slash gets us through them.

We arrive at the entrance to the moathouse.

A bunch of level 1 brigands pop up.

This is really just a massacre. 2 strong lvl 2 fighters and a lvl 4 rogue are a brick wall to level 1 fighters.

Dolores and Yeesh sustain some minor damage. Some potions and spells clean that up. We loot the enemies for some small cash, but we also manage to outfit the entire party in matching black boots and gloves. The detail of customization you can do is pretty cool. Not that I'm a faggot who has a raging hard on for dressing up my characters, but everyone looks good in black.

We decide to check the small south tower first.

1 Spider? This shouldn't be hard.

Fuck Web. Dolores and Furnok manage to not be affected and try to bash the spider in.

We try to do some flanking tactics but Furnok gets himself caught too. Dolores gets poisoned. I don't know what kind of poison it is, but its not that you-are-fucking-dead-in-6-seconds type so it can't be that bad.

Its at this point that I realize you actually have to tell characters to struggle against the web and try to break free, they don't do that automatically like in the RTwP implementations. Major facepalm moment, as the next turn Serious is easily able to break free and we start laying the smack down.

Opening the chest finds some potions, which we identify to be cure poison potions. How convenient. Sadly, the part of the poison that has already done its damage can't be fixed. We need to rest off. Also conveniently, this area is apparently perfectly safe to rest in.

Later in the evening we prepare to enter the moathouse with our fully rested and prepared party. For some reason Dolores still has the indicated under her portrait that she is suffering strength loss from the poison, but its been fulled healed by now so I don't know whats up with that.

dolio

Scholar
We check the Inn to see if anyone knows about rainbow rock. Innkeepers are supposed to be smart and know all about stuff, right?
I think Terjon is the only person who knows about the rainbow rock, because he lost some bling there. You might have noticed if you went and did his religious fed-ex quests!

This drunk guy wants in my party, but I say no since I don't need another fighter.
I was amused when first playing one of the later Co8 patches (after 5.5, I think), because they (I believe) added the opening response, "Hold it right there - not interested." due to people being fed up with listening to his BS every time they started a game.

We talk to this guy and try to catch him cheating in cards.
ToEE has a lot of bad voice acting, but this guy's accent always seemed especially terrible to me. The voicing in general sounds like they just recorded a bunch of people from the office playing the pen and paper module or something, though.

...Unfortunately, the enemies that ran away still stayed in combat with us. Meaning we were forced to chase after them across the entire map in turn based mode. If there is a way of ending combat in ToEE outside of it doing so automatically, I don't know how.
I don't either. This and the inability to stay in combat with sleeping enemies are quite annoying flaws of the otherwise excellent combat implementation.

Skeletons running away has happened to me before, and I think I just skipped turns until the turning wore off and they eventually ran back at me. It's still a pain, though.

Yeesh

Magister
6419n6.jpg

Here we are in the raepmoathouse.

The first thing we find is a large group of brigands. Much more intimidating then the level 1 and 2 archers we encountered outside.

Strangelove casts sleep, affecting one brigand.

Since this battle appears to be Serious Business™ what with the raging high level barbarian, Yeesh casts Bless to improve our attack bonus by 1.

Dolores manages to trip the first brigand.

Spugnoir casts Grease, tripping several enemies. :bro:

In either a facepalm inducing display of AI stupidity or an excellent display of irrationally aggressive raged barbarians, the enemy leader decides to run straight at our mages through the front lines. AoO's absolutely fuck him up and Yeesh finishes him off just as he nears Spugnoir.

With him down and the rest of the weaker brigands lying on their asses, the battle is pretty much over. Of note is that Chzr scores a whopping 28 damage critical hit on a Brigand that only has 3 HP left. Why can't arrows gib targets? :lol:

Next room over we find some big snakes and big bats. Neither are much of a problem.

We rest up a bit and move down to the next level.

Here we are at the bottom of the stairs. For some reason this area reminds me of Dorn's Deep from IWD. It's really atmospheric, good at giving that impression of adventuring into a cavernous dungeon carved out from the earth.

We find a nice stash of these Eye of the Flame cloaks behind the stairway. Maybe this is some kind of disguise system where you can pass off as a member in the Eye of the Flame (which sounds like some kind of faction that might be related to the Temple of Elemental Evil), but mostly I put them on because matching black cloaks looks cool.

As we explore we find a bunch of zombies. Should be simple.

As we attack, two slimes drop down from the ceiling behind us. A Slime/Zombie ambush? Seems that these two creatures shouldn't be intelligent enough to work together in any meaningful way like this, but we don't have time to debate the point.

Furnok and Yeesh run back to try and hold the slimes away from the mages, while Serious and Dolores try to contend with a veritable horde of zombies in the front. Unfortunately we aren't getting good attack rolls and keep either missing or doing almost nothing due to damage reduction. The only one able to reliably smack the zombies around is Serious who is hitting air.

Spugnoir lays down another grease, thankfully zombies are not the most nimble of foes.

Somehow Chzr manages to put a hurting on the slimes with arrows. Seems to me that they should be resisting the arrows mostly since they would just pass straight through, but I won't complain.

Eventually the first and second slimes fall to a barrage of arrows and Furnok's blade. Yeesh plays the part of cheerleader.

Unfortunately, Strangelove goes down in the process, the victim of a zombie that ran around the front lines.

Yeesh gets Strangelove back on his feet with a few healing spells. The zombie numbers are whittled down enough that the cleanup is effortless.

We win, Spugnoir gains a level.

I find some kind of hidden compartment in this area behind the zombies. I'm not sure what its for. Anyone know?

We find a Magic Miniature Chest. No idea what its for.

Spugnoir takes his level. My decision is between Craft Wondrous item or Brew potion. I decide to go with Craft Wondrous item.

We retreat to the safe area of the moathouse to rest, then continue onward.

Here be Ogres. He is not a talkative fellow.

Furnok takes the initiative to run behind the Ogre and score a nice sneak attack.

Serious delivers a solid blow to the face.

The ogre turns around and dispatches Furnok with a single blow. Spugnoir goes ahead and uses one of his scrolls to cast Grease, which trips the ogre.

The party beats the ogre around, then when it tries to stand up the AoO rape puts him down again. Thankfully Furnok was only at -2 health so Yeesh was able to get him back up again.

A magic cloak is found. Can't determine its properties at the moment, we will identify it when we are next in town.

We find some gnome captives. The plan was to question them and then leave them to die, but apparently if you don't leave them immediately you have no choice but to let them go. :decline:

Of interest is the fact that they mention that others come through the area wearing the eye of the flame cloaks, and the ogre ignores them. Was the ogre attacking my party a bug? We also get a ring signifying we are a friend of the gnomes.

We continue further downward into the depths of the moathouse.

We have a choice of 3 paths. We take the westward one.

The next room is gnolls.

I send Furnok in first, assuming that he can win initiative and run back to safety quickly if they attack. Through some odd gameplay mechanic, they won't react though. Apparently the have to say something to us and NPCs aren't allowed to talk, so Serious has to go inside.

Predictably they are less then friendly. They offer to leave for 100 Gold and to tell us about their master for 200 gold. Pay money to not get experience? They clearly don't know much about how to handle parties of adventurers.

After we decline a battle breaks out. Of course, Serious loses initiative even though he was the one who started the fight. :roll:. He takes a lot of damage

Spugnoir lays down his new Web spell. Its super effective! Actually a bit too effective, it goes through the wall and hits Furnok even though I swear he wasn't in the radius when I cast it.

Strangelove puts some enemies to sleep as well.

At this point we have a pretty damn good funnel and only 1 or 2 of the Gnolls are able to attack.

One of the stronger Gnolls hits VERY hard though. Furnok is taken to near death and Yeesh gets wiped out in a single critical, though Furnok quickly uses a potion on Yeesh to get him walking again.

After the leader Gnoll is taken out the rest fall without too much trouble.

As we venture forward I notice that this 'Master' appears to be casting some kind of spell. Dunno what it is, but its probably important.

Here is another split in the dungeon paths. I keep with my strategy of taking the one on the right.

A few Ghouls are encountered. A few slightly higher leveled zombies should be no big deal, right?

They aren't exactly tough enemies but apparently they paralyze anything they hit. Quite deadly. Thankfully, its the kind of paralysis that you can just wait off.

Furnok finds a chest. When he goes to disable the trap it springs, but he dodges the effects. Apparently the whole party gets 25 XP for such an occurrence.

Annoyingly enough, when Serious goes to open the chest afterwords the trap springs again and incapacitates him. What gives? Auto re-arming traps?

I don't have a screenshot of the loot, but the most important item was a scroll of Cat's Grace. Any long term stat buff spell is a good spell in my book, especially to such an important stat as Dexterity. Spugnoir scribes it into his scrollbook.

We return to the 2nd crossroad and head southwest.

We find a Giant Grayfish in a pool of water, along with another chest.

Serious takes a good whack at it. Its a strong enemy with multiple attacks per turn and lots of HP, but goes down fairly easily.

Here's a nice action shot of Strangelove finishing off the crayfish with a magic missile

The next chest is trapped as well. I discover that you can set off the trap while attempting to detrap it infinite times and continue to get 25 XP each time. Really, Troika? You let stuff like this slip through? :roll:

Inside we find a scroll of Stinking Cloud (Nice!), Knock (OK), and some potions. Spugnoir scribes both spells into his spell book. I'm not ashamed to say that I savescum to make sure the spells are copied correctly. Failing to copy spells into the wizard spellbook is among the dumbest of D&D rules. Fuck that shit.

Checking the inventory at this point I see that Chzr only has 1 arrow left. I decide to head back to town to stock up on more supplies, identify some stuff, and make use of our crafting abilities.

On the way out, though, I notice I didn't fully explore the first level. A few worthless enemies are taken out and our PCs all gain a level.

We also find a masterwork crossbow (+1 AB) and an enchanted shield.

Outside the moathouse, we level our party up. Serious gets Cleave (after killing an enemy get an extra attack that round) and Weapon Focus (+1 AB with greatswords). No messing around here, his job is to hit shit repeatedly until it doesn't need to be hit anymore.

Dolores takes combat reflexes. This allows her to make AoO's while flatfooted (ie the first round of combat before her first action), as well as let her take 3 AoO's per turn instead of 1 because of her +2 dexterity bonus. I figure this should work really well with her range advantage over enemies.

Chzr takes rapid shot (-2 AB to take an extra shot per round) and Weapon Focus (+1 AB with longbows). She's basically the ranged version of Serious.

Strangelove takes Spell Focus: Conjuration. I can never remember all the spell schools and which are the best (it also changes with pretty much every implementation of D&D). I know I won't be getting super high level spells like Finger of Death and Wail of the Banshee, so my normal choice of Necromancy is out. I decide to just focus on a spell that is already working well for me. Grease is Conjuration. I can't argue with a stronger Grease.

Yeesh takes Craft Wondrous Item. I noticed that a lot of Spugnoir's Wizard spells didn't cover all the available item possibilities, so this should keep all my crafting options open. Brew potion should probably be our next feat, we could use some extra buff or healing potions.

After this, we return to Hommlet. The magic cloak is identified to be a cloak of Elvenkind, giving +10 to hide checks. Obviously Furnok gets this. The magic shield is a simple Shield +1, Yeesh takes this. After looking through our options, instead of crafting numerous smaller items I decide to go big or go home. Spugnoir crafts a Brooch of Shielding for 750 GP, nearly all of our cash. Shield will give +4 shield AC bonus and immunity to magic missiles. Its normally only a spell that a wizard would cast on himself for self defense, but non-wizards can wear the item to take advantage of the effects as well. This works perfectly to give Serious an AC bonus equal to a very strong shield (Yeesh's +1 shield only gives 3 AC) while still letting him deal full 2-handed weapon damage. Once we acquire enough gold I'll be crafting another for Dolores.

After our business in town is concluded we return to the moathouse. We're motherfucking Level 3. Nothing is gonna stop us now.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Thread needs a bump to next page :)

dolio

Scholar
Overweight Manatee said:
I find some kind of hidden compartment in this area behind the zombies. I'm not sure what its for. Anyone know?
If your search skill is high enough, you should be able to find a ladder directly to the ghoul area there, as I recall. That would let you skip the ogre if you wanted.

Once you identify it, it gives you unlimited castings of the portable chest spell, which is pretty amazing if you're anal enough to want to tote all the random shit out of dungeons and sell it. You also find a scroll for the spell at some point, but I don't know why you'd use it when you have unlimited castings with the chest (plus, I think it costs money to cast without the chest).

Here be Ogres. He is not a talkative fellow.
If everyone is wearing the cloaks, you should be able to talk to him, and maybe talk your way past. I don't know why that didn't work.

Honestly, though, why would you want to do that instead of killing him for experience? It's only really useful to hear his dialogue, which is mildly amusing.

The next chest is trapped as well. I discover that you can set off the trap while attempting to detrap it infinite times and continue to get 25 XP each time.
I remember this, but I thought it had been fixed. I guess not.

Inside we find a scroll of Stinking Cloud (Nice!), Knock (OK), and some potions. Spugnoir scribes both spells into his spell book. I'm not ashamed to say that I savescum to make sure the spells are copied correctly. Failing to copy spells into the wizard spellbook is among the dumbest of D&D rules. Fuck that shit.
It's at least less terrible in 3.5/ToEE than it is in, say, the infinity engine. In 3.5, if you fail the spellcraft check, you just have to wait until your spellcraft increases and try again (so, wait one level). In the infinity engine, if you fail, you lose the scroll permanently. I might at least consider not save scumming in the former case.

Chzr takes rapid shot (-2 AB to take an extra shot per round) and Weapon Focus (+1 AB with longbows).
It says in the screenshot she's a ranger.... You do know that rangers get rapid shot for free at level 2, right? Assuming you take the archery combat style instead of the 2-weapon style.

Strangelove takes Spell Focus: Conjuration. I can never remember all the spell schools and which are the best
Conjuration is a good choice. Grease, stinking cloud, glitter dust, web, and cloud kill are all good spells.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If you took Sun domain, I believe turn undead would destroy them...or something. I like Cleric domains. Very useful spells they give etc.

Once you identify it, it gives you unlimited castings of the portable chest spell, which is pretty amazing if you're anal enough to want to tote all the random shit out of dungeons and sell it. You also find a scroll for the spell at some point, but I don't know why you'd use it when you have unlimited castings with the chest (plus, I think it costs money to cast without the chest).

Nice, I am certainly anal enough to try and sell every scrap of shit I get my hands on :lol: .

dolio said:
It's at least less terrible in 3.5/ToEE than it is in, say, the infinity engine. In 3.5, if you fail the spellcraft check, you just have to wait until your spellcraft increases and try again (so, wait one level). In the infinity engine, if you fail, you lose the scroll permanently. I might at least consider not save scumming in the former case.

Ahh, thats actually rather interesting.

dolio said:
Chzr takes rapid shot (-2 AB to take an extra shot per round) and Weapon Focus (+1 AB with longbows).
It says in the screenshot she's a ranger.... You do know that rangers get rapid shot for free at level 2, right? Assuming you take the archery combat style instead of the 2-weapon style.

/facepalm

In my defense, I was only following Chzr's leveling specifications which says to take 1 level of ranger and the rest fighter.

Yeesh said:
You know what feat I wanted? Extra turning. We could chase the undead around for days.

No! Bad Yeesh!

RK47 said:
If you took Sun domain, I believe turn undead would destroy them...or something. I like Cleric domains. Very useful spells they give etc.

Wasn't a choice, sadly. Strength Domain is working out pretty well though. Enlarge person and Bull's Strength are the kind of spells that you can never have too many of. Can't say the same for Chaos domain.

dolio

Scholar
So, I've been replaying, and I noticed something: rogues can use their use magic device skill to "decipher script." I believe this allows them to identify scrolls (not potions), but it's a tough check. 25 + spell level, and you can only use it once a day (per item?). Decipher script is really supposed to be a separate skill, but it'd be completely useless except for identifying scrolls in this game, so I guess rolling it into UMD is fine.

I've been reading up on the rules about this, and it seems ToEE kind of dropped the ball. Identifying potions is supposed to be a DC 25 spellcraft check (you only get one try, though), and identifying a scroll is supposed to be a DC (20 + spell level) spellcraft check, usable once a day. Further, read magic is supposed to last 10 minutes/level, so you should presumably be able to use a single casting to identify several scrolls (although, it's not clear you can use it to identify potions by the rules).

Epic rules let you identify arbitrary items using spellcraft checks, not that that matters for ToEE.

To begin, my hats off to DU for the change in posts per thread :incline:

Minor event that has happened between the last post and this: I found a dagger with a minor enchantment in my inventory, sold it for $$$, Dolores now has her own Shield amulet.

Rested up, we head back into the moathouse. Here we are at the initial fork in the paths. The part to the west is actually a dead end, apparently.

Here is a nice map of the area to see where we were before.

As we check out the path to the south we are ambushed by Bugbears.

The Bugbears are pretty easy to handle, but they drink potions that should be ours! :x

Taking free AoOs from multiple higher level fighters doesn't do good things to your health, though.

Amusingly, as combat is begun with a group in the next room, I find that AoE mage spells can sense enemy positions for me. An interesting exploit I guess. I cast web and manage to connect with almost all the Bugbears in the room.

Yeesh does his part blessing our party.

Dolores and Serious are holding the front lines well, while we concentrate on taking out their archers who aren't affected by the Web.

Serious decides to be awesome, making an attack of opportunity, killing his target, then using Cleave to kill another target, all when it wasn't even his turn. :thumbsup:

Most of their group is down an we have suffered nary a scratch. Whose awesome? We're awesome.

cue disastrous shit

In a moment of utter stupidity, I accidently order Strangelove into melee combat with the furthest bugbear.

Strangelove goes down.

Meanwhile, Furnok decides this is a great time to start getting hit. In hindsight I'm guessing this has something to do with the web's holding effect preventing his agility bonus to armor or something?

Strangelove gets a pick me up from Yeesh. Serious has finally gotten to him and started to wail on his attacker.

When Strangelove's turn comes around, naturally the first thing he does is stand up. Which takes an AoO from the nearest bugbear and puts him on the ground again.

Eventually I figure out that I can just straight up dismiss the web spell :oops:

Serious manages to take out the bugbear near Strangelove and the rest of the group. Then the party rushes over and kills the last bugbear menacing Furnok before the inevitable bleed out.

Heading deeper into the moathouse, we find the transition to the next area. Before we go there we will clean up this level.

We find this bro who is very un-brolike to us.

Strangelove trips both of the melee attackers with Grease.

Serious kills one, gets a Cleave on the other. They go down permanently very quickly.

At this point I try to dismiss the Grease spell so we can run back and take out the archer, but for some reason it doesn't actually dismiss.

Most of the party trips up, but Dolores manages to reach him before she gets taken down by his arrows.

We find a much larger group in the next room. A few pre-buffs are used and then we talk. Serious's retarded dialog is semi-entertaining at times.

Fuck, thats a lot of enemies. I'm trying to minimize rest spamming between encounters, so this will be a tough battle as we're far from max strength.

Dolores quickly trips the first enemy.

Strangelove shows her how its done by casting Grease and tripping 4, including the Lieutenant. :smug:

As the Lieutenant is getting up, Serious delivers a few solid AoO smacks.

Spugnoir Charms one of the few standing Guardman, trying to take some of the pressure off the party. Strangelove casts Sleep to take put another 2 on the ground.

Serious kills the Sergent and Cleaves into another Guardsman. Cleave has got to be one of the most ridiculously annoying feats to encounter during a battle. Because someone else died you get hit as well? D&D rules can be an asshole at times.

BTW, Furnok goes down again. Fucker just can't stay up. Yeesh stabilizes the bleeding with Cure Minor Wounds, though.

Strangelove puts another archer in the back to sleep.

Chzr finishes off the second to last enemy with a well placed critical hit. Serious and Dolores together take out the last one.

Opening the next door, we find the Master. Strangelove somehow ends up being quickest on the draw and casts Grease, tripping the master. :love:

One of the really annoying problems with ToEE is that you don't know the spell radii. Would be lovely to know whether or not the position I'm sending my character into has them able to reach over the grease to smack the master or if they will fall over miserably. Unfortunately for Furnok and Serious, its the latter.

Dolores picks up the slack, though. As soon as the Master is able to stand again she trips him.

The Master's first action, after about 4 turns in, is to heal himself. So he's a Cleric. Based on his health, probably around level 5 or 6. Dolores immediately trips him again, though.

The Master manages to stand up long enough to cast some kind of PBAoE spell (sonic burst I think). It does light damage and has a small chance to stun us for 1 turn, but its not enough to make up for the fact that we get multiple AoOs on him when he does it.

Eventually he capitulates when his health drops low enough. His name is apparently Lareth the Beautiful, and he offers us information on a back door into the Temple of Elemental Evil. We spare him and he joins our party. It sounds like he is only with us temporarily though and will leave after taking us to the temple (which is presumably our next destination story-wise). I guess the game isn't so kind as to let us have a powerful level 6 cleric with excellently enchanted weapons on a permanent basis at this point in the game. Besides, he's an evil Cleric. Fuck them, not being able to spontaneously cast heal spells makes you a shitty Cleric as far as I'm concerned.

Taking the path out of the area, we arrive outdoors. Apparently this was a backdoor into the Moathouse. Presumably if you fucked around enough with the NPCs in Hommlet one of them would have told you how to get in through this way. This wraps up the moathouse and we travel back to Hommlet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom